Official JVC DILA-X500R / RS49U / RS4910U Owners Thread - Page 201 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 
 2146Likes

post #6001 of 6399 Old 08-07-2017, 05:42 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 34 Post(s)
Liked: 22
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dominic Chan View Post
Did you use th "2014" version of the Arve Tool?
Yes, I used the 2014 version - the communication seems to work between PC and projector, but the new Gamma curve does not take effect - it would be nice if more people could try it, so that we can confirm if it works versus not.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #6002 of 6399 Old 08-07-2017, 02:19 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 132 Post(s)
Quoted: 4989 Post(s)
Liked: 1909
Quote:
Originally Posted by afss_br View Post
Yes, I used the 2014 version - the communication seems to work between PC and projector, but the new Gamma curve does not take effect - it would be nice if more people could try it, so that we can confirm if it works versus not.
I did test it when Arve was developing the 2014 version, and it worked.
Was the projector set up for custom gamma when you tried to upload the curve?
post #6003 of 6399 Old 08-07-2017, 03:53 PM

Quote:
I did test it when Arve was developing the 2014 version, and it worked.
Was the projector set up for custom gamma when you tried to upload the curve?
I had Custom 2 running, and the behavior was interesting - when I loaded the very first custom gamma curve (which I don't remember what it was, as I meant to just do a trial) I noticed a slight change in gamma on the screen. After this, there were no further visual changes, despite some very different curves I was playing with. On all gamma curve loads via Arve tool, I could see the communication was successful with the projector.

I could be missing a step to have this properly done, so appreciate if somebody else do also do some testing.

Thank you !
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #6004 of 6399 Old 08-07-2017, 05:39 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
I had Custom 2 running, and the behavior was interesting - when I loaded the very first custom gamma curve (which I don't remember what it was, as I meant to just do a trial) I noticed a slight change in gamma on the screen. After this, there were no further visual changes, despite some very different curves I was playing with. On all gamma curve loads via Arve tool, I could see the communication was successful with the projector.
I had some similar problems. Arve created some debug versions that read back the entire gamma table to verify that it's been properly uploaded. You can try out those versions, and report any issues to him.
post #6005 of 6399 Old 08-08-2017, 03:56 AM

Quote:
I had some similar problems. Arve created some debug versions that read back the entire gamma table to verify that it's been properly uploaded. You can try out those versions, and report any issues to him.
Thanks Dominic, do you know where those are stored ? I could only find one directory.
post #6006 of 6399 Old 08-08-2017, 05:51 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Thanks Dominic, do you know where those are stored ? I could only find one directory.
This is the read-back version:

https://github.com/arvehj/jvcproject...ecd6c595a88bc6
post #6007 of 6399 Old 08-08-2017, 05:55 AM

Quote:
Thanks, will do some experimenting this coming weekend.
post #6008 of 6399 Old 08-14-2017, 02:59 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 10
JVC DLA 4K Input Problem - NEW

Good afternoon.
I am a long time member but haven’t been posted in a while.
I am hoping some members here can help me out with a new issue
I have a JVC DLA-RS4910 purchase from AV Science in Jan. 2014. I feed it a 4k signal which is upscaled from a Sony Blu Ray player. Up until now, it has performed well then about 20 min. into a movie yesterday, the image is “garbled”.
I’ve tried rebooting the projector but that did not fix it. If I change the output of the blu ray play to 1080P, the image is fine but it will no longer accept the 4k feed.
I have confirmed it’s not the blu ray player.
Any ideas?
Thank you.
Mark

post #6009 of 6399 Old 08-15-2017, 10:08 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Torre View Post
I have confirmed it’s not the blu ray player.
Have you tried a different HDMI cable?
post #6010 of 6399 Old 08-15-2017, 12:20 PM

Quoted: 15 Post(s)
Liked: 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by John Robert View Post
Hoping someone can help, have about 2000 hours on the original bulb in my 3-year old projector.

A week ago, got the attached warning indicator with the outside lights red and middle light orange and blinking. Can't find this indicator in the manual.

Thinking it was the bulb, ordered and installed the new one and fired it up. Also recleaned the filter. Beautiful image for 3 minutes, then back to dark screen and the same warning indicator.

Any ideas before I resign myself to sending in for service? Thanks...

John

I had the same thing happen to me last night. The projector shut down with the two outside lights solid red and the lamp indicator blinking yellow. This is with a bulb replaced in March. This morning I reseated the lamp and reinstalled the lamp cover and it fired up with a beautiful picture for about one minute before the picture started to flicker and the projector shut down again with the same warning indicators not shown in the manual. I'm ordering a new lamp today hoping that is the problem. I've owned a number of projectors over the years and never had a lamp fail for any reason other than it outlived its life. Does anyone have any ideas or advice? Susan
post #6011 of 6399 Old 08-15-2017, 01:27 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quoted: 24 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Loquitur View Post
I had the same thing happen to me last night. The projector shut down with the two outside lights solid red and the lamp indicator blinking yellow. This is with a bulb replaced in March. This morning I reseated the lamp and reinstalled the lamp cover and it fired up with a beautiful picture for about one minute before the picture started to flicker and the projector shut down again with the same warning indicators not shown in the manual. I'm ordering a new lamp today hoping that is the problem. I've owned a number of projectors over the years and never had a lamp fail for any reason other than it outlived its life. Does anyone have any ideas or advice? Susan
Exactly same as my PJ. Unlikely the lamp is triggering that indicator as it started on mine with the old bulb and has continued with the new one.

Same symptoms as yours, a minute or two of beautiful picture and then shut down with the mysterious indication. One other poster suggested the ballast is the culprit. My unit is going to JVC for service...

John

"What happens in Vegas..."
post #6012 of 6399 Old 08-15-2017, 02:08 PM

Quote:
Exactly same as my PJ. Unlikely the lamp is triggering that indicator as it started on mine with the old bulb and has continued with the new one.

Same symptoms as yours, a minute or two of beautiful picture and then shut down with the mysterious indication. One other poster suggested the ballast is the culprit. My unit is going to JVC for service...

John
When I went to research this problem in the forum, I couldn't believe someone posted about the exact same thing a few days ago!! I have a new lamp arriving tomorrow just in case and, worst case, it will be my new spare. Did your dealer set up the return to JVC service? Did you have a choice between taking it in somewhere or mailing it in? I bought mine from Craig Peer on AVS but he is away and won't be back for another week and I don't want to wait if I can help it. Assuming my experience continues to be the same as yours, we will have some valuable feedback to leave on the forum for other members. I bought my projector in September of 2015 and it has worked flawlessly until now.
post #6013 of 6399 Old 08-15-2017, 03:11 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Loquitur View Post
When I went to research this problem in the forum, I couldn't believe someone posted about the exact same thing a few days ago!! I have a new lamp arriving tomorrow just in case and, worst case, it will be my new spare. Did your dealer set up the return to JVC service? Did you have a choice between taking it in somewhere or mailing it in? I bought mine from Craig Peer on AVS but he is away and won't be back for another week and I don't want to wait if I can help it. Assuming my experience continues to be the same as yours, we will have some valuable feedback to leave on the forum for other members. I bought my projector in September of 2015 and it has worked flawlessly until now.
Small world. Bought mine in same year, no issues until now.

Service for JVC home theater projectors is thru Mendtronix, info here:

http://shop.mendtronix.com/site/temp...-services.html

Mine is on its way, will post results...

John

post #6014 of 6399 Old 08-17-2017, 06:32 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Quote:
Have you tried a different HDMI cable?
No I have not but I can't imagine the cable would suddenly go bad. BTW, the lamp only has 720 hrs. on it.
Update, as of last night everything seems to be working fine. So weird!

post #6015 of 6399 Old 08-17-2017, 09:56 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Torre View Post
Update, as of last night everything seems to be working fine. So weird!
I had similar problems with 4K material, both native and upscaled, until I stumbled on a fix. If I turn my equipment on in a particular order, I seem to get a more stable and robust HDMI connection. For me, it's player, then projector, then pre/pro. YMMV...

John

post #6016 of 6399 Old 08-20-2017, 05:58 AM

Quote:

John
Looks like I got lucky - my problem seems to have been the lamp. After installing the new one and cleaning the filter yesterday, the projector has been running perfectly. The failed lamp only had 770 hours. It is still under warranty so I'll see how that goes. Good luck and let us know what your issue was. Susan
post #6017 of 6399 Old 08-23-2017, 09:42 AM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 6 Post(s)
I have lost both inputs... I was having issues intermittently with input 2, the signal would drop out. I replaced cables, then input 2 stopped working altogether.
Then after about a month input 1 did the same thing, now I just have "No Input" on the screen...
The menu displays fine, but no matter what I plug into the HDMI ports I get nothing.
I moved a dvd player on a ladder with a known good short cable, did factory reset, I flashed the firmware, and I pulled the covers and reseated all the connections to the input board (processor pwb assy), but still nothing...

I am assuming that processor board is the issue, but I don't have a service manual to do any diagnostics. There are led's on the board that I'm sure would help with troubleshooting. I feel like power is good since everything else seems to be Ok (bulb, menu settings, etc.).

Does anyone have troubleshooting info for this board? Has anyone replaced this board themselves? I took it out, but did not see any burned or damaged components.
Has anyone else run into this? I searched this thread, but didn't see anything. It's a great projector, and I'd like to fix it even though I just replaced it with the X770R. The processor board is about $750 if available. I'm willing to put that into it, but I'm not sure paying that plus shipping to menditronix and repair hours is worth it.

Thanks,
Dave
post #6018 of 6399 Old 08-24-2017, 07:16 AM

Quoted: 30 Post(s)
Liked: 2
hello, i need some advice for a 4k player.

the x500 has only HDMI 1.4 ports, so many owners use a hd fury integral in the loop to get their 4k chain working proper.

but isn't there a panasonic player with an option to set its hdmi-output to 1.4 so that i don't need a hd fury in the loop?

thanks
post #6019 of 6399 Old 08-24-2017, 07:35 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by SubzeroX View Post
the x500 has only HDMI 1.4 ports, so many owners use a hd fury integral in the loop to get their 4k chain working proper.
Monoprice also has an inexpensive adapter for this purpose:
https://www.monoprice.com/product?p_id=15242
post #6020 of 6399 Old 08-24-2017, 07:42 AM

Quote:
Monoprice also has an inexpensive adapter for this purpose:
https://www.monoprice.com/product?p_id=15242
Hi Dominic, this looks great!

is there something that the hd fury integral can do better?
or is the monoprice adapter all i need to watch 4k (hdr) movies with any player?

(i haven't read the whole thread so i'm not familiar with all the important details what will work with the x500 and what not like 4:4:4 or 4:4:2 settings and so on)
post #6021 of 6399 Old 08-24-2017, 08:02 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
is there something that the hd fury integral can do better?
or is the monoprice adapter all i need to watch 4k (hdr) movies with any player?
The hd fury can strip the hdr metadata so that you can enable the dynamic iris and use custom gamma curves.

However, I don't think the x500R has enough lumens for HDR.
post #6022 of 6399 Old 08-24-2017, 08:20 AM

Okay, thanks for clarification^^

i think, i'll give HDR a try, because my screen is only 90"
would i get better results with the dynamic iris then?
post #6023 of 6399 Old 08-24-2017, 08:54 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Okay, thanks for clarification^^

i think, i'll give HDR a try, because my screen is only 90"
would i get better results with the dynamic iris then?
The x500R doesn't have built-in hdr support so it won't disable dynamic iris, i.e., no need to strip metadata.
post #6024 of 6399 Old 08-24-2017, 09:01 AM

Thanks again, Dominic

now i'm thorn between the Panasonic UB704 and the Sony UBP-X800.
Do you have any experience with one of these players?

important for me is proper 24p support for DNLA/MKV-stuff and apps like netflix, amazon prime and 4K HDR to 4K SDR downscaling (in case my "HDR-test" won't work out)

Last edited by SubzeroX; 08-24-2017 at 09:22 AM.
post #6025 of 6399 Old 08-25-2017, 01:26 PM

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 145 Post(s)
Liked: 172
Quote:
The hd fury can strip the hdr metadata so that you can enable the dynamic iris and use custom gamma curves.

However, I don't think the x500R has enough lumens for HDR.
I thought the other main point of the Integral, besides HDCP conversion, is that it can pass a BT2020 color gamut in a format the projector can make use of (see pages and pages of discussion earlier in this topic).

I'm really curious if anyone is using the Monoprice converter between a 4k player and the projector, without anything else in the chain.

Last edited by tebling; 08-25-2017 at 01:32 PM.
post #6026 of 6399 Old 08-28-2017, 07:00 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 315 Post(s)
Liked: 127
103D or "Faux 4K"

I'm wondering if anyone uses the Oppo 103D with this player with good or bad luck...I'm looking at buying a used model and wondering if the Darbee effects are desirable (I've experimented with the slight sharpening effects in the projector menu but now leave them off). I'm not an early adopter so I'm wanted the sharpest 1080P BD image I can get without "going 4K" ...all the headaches ppl. are having with parts of their video chain not supporting one or more parts of 4K, HDR, rec.2020 and having banding issues and picture that cuts out...so...

I just want the best picture that 1080p BD can give me today.

Also, the monoprice.com link above is broken for me...I might be open to a device that allows "faux 4K" if its sharper than 180p BD with MINIMAL headache...
post #6027 of 6399 Old 08-28-2017, 10:09 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 252 Post(s)
Liked: 174
I've been a happy Darbee user for many years now....from before they started offering it in the Oppo players (I have the original Darbee outboard unit).

Works great with all the displays I've used it on> A previous 7 year old Sharp 1080p LCD/LED TV, Mits HC3800 1080p DLP projector and now a LeEco 4k 43" TV (not using any 4k content though) and a JVC RS57/X700 projector.

The Darbee makes all those displays a little sharper 'looking'.

I use a little bit of JVC Clear Black too, though I could probably get by w/o since I have the Darbee.

I would never let go of my Darbee
post #6028 of 6399 Old 08-28-2017, 10:14 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

And just a note> The advantage to having an external Darbee unit is that I only need one to use for all my displays. And I use it on my HD Cable feed too. I essentially got a monoprice 1 into 2 hdmi splitter and using just one AVR hdmi out > Darbee > 1 into 2 splitter > 2 hdmi outs to projector and TV.

With 103D only, I would not have Darbee for my HD Cable feed.
post #6029 of 6399 Old 08-28-2017, 12:29 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 315 Post(s)
Liked: 127
Quote:
Originally Posted by fleaman View Post
And just a note> The advantage to having an external Darbee unit is that I only need one to use for all my displays. And I use it on my HD Cable feed too. I essentially got a monoprice 1 into 2 hdmi splitter and using just one AVR hdmi out > Darbee > 1 into 2 splitter > 2 hdmi outs to projector and TV.

With 103D only, I would not have Darbee for my HD Cable feed.
I think the 103D has HDMI input so you could "tune up" your cable feed...least the 105 I had did this...pretty good value add especially for the "D" model Oppos.
post #6030 of 6399 Old 08-28-2017, 01:00 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by pottscb View Post
I think the 103D has HDMI input so you could "tune up" your cable feed...least the 105 I had did this...pretty good value add especially for the "D" model Oppos.
Ahh, interesting.

Wondering if you have to have the Oppo 'On' all the time to use the Darbee in it then?

I know my Oppo 83SE gets surprisingly quite warm when in use...
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply Digital Hi-End Projectors - $3,000+ USD MSRP

Tags
Jvc , X500

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page