Official JVC DILA-X500R / RS49U / RS4910U Owners Thread - Page 210 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 
 2142Likes

post #6271 of 6358 Old 11-24-2018, 05:38 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 87 Post(s)
Liked: 35
Quote:
Originally Posted by incarnacio View Post
Yes, have left it for hours unplugged, but still manifests same problem when attempting to power on. The air filter is clean, and don't see any other obvious problems.
Have u tried taking bulb out and putting back in iv heard of this helping before
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #6272 of 6358 Old 11-24-2018, 09:31 AM

Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Liked: 0
Quote:
Originally Posted by kwk2293 View Post
Have u tried taking bulb out and putting back in iv heard of this helping before
Yes, I tried reseating the bulb module several times. But didn't help. However, after seeing your question here this morning, the thought occurred to me to try inserting the OEM bulb which had failed after about 3.5 years. Thankfully I still had it. When I plugged it in, to my surprise, the projector powered right up and the old bulb even turned on and projected!!! Thus, I think we can conclude that the problem here is the replacement bulb I ordered about 6 months ago. Something must be shorting out inside or something. I ordered this replacement bulb from some place called Corgi Lamps that sells on Amazon. Clearly not high quality stuff. Does anyone have recommendations of where to get a high quality OEM bulb for this thing?
post #6273 of 6358 Old 11-24-2018, 01:36 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Hoping someone can help. With no notice, my JVC RS4910U stopped displaying from my ROKU. I tired different HDMI cables and both projector inputs. Tried a brand new Roku unit...same issue. I tested the Roku units on other TVs and both worked fine. No matter what I try, I get "no signal" displayed in the upper right corner of my screen. After testing everything I could think of, I switched to my DirecTV signal. When I adjusted my resolution settings on my DirecTV box, I found the projector will no longer display a 480 or 720 signal...the screen just remains black. I only get a picture when the DirecTV box is on 1080i or 1080p. I went through every menu setting on the projector and have found nothing to correct this issue. What I believe is happing is the original ROKU menu signal is not 1080 and therefore nothing shows on the screen, therefore I cannot "force it" to 1080p via menu as there is nothing on the display to see. While I have forced the Roku unit to 1080p when connected to another TV, as soon as you unplug the Roku, the setting convert to standard, so that does me no good.

Has anyone heard of this issue with the JVC RS4910U not displaying lower res information?

Thanks in advance for your input.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #6274 of 6358 Old 11-24-2018, 01:39 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Quote:
Yes, I tried reseating the bulb module several times. But didn't help. However, after seeing your question here this morning, the thought occurred to me to try inserting the OEM bulb which had failed after about 3.5 years. Thankfully I still had it. When I plugged it in, to my surprise, the projector powered right up and the old bulb even turned on and projected!!! Thus, I think we can conclude that the problem here is the replacement bulb I ordered about 6 months ago. Something must be shorting out inside or something. I ordered this replacement bulb from some place called Corgi Lamps that sells on Amazon. Clearly not high quality stuff. Does anyone have recommendations of where to get a high quality OEM bulb for this thing?
Would recommend buying an official JVC bulb from a dealer. I have heard that Mendtronix makes some that are OEM, but I have never used them myself.
post #6275 of 6358 Old 11-24-2018, 08:27 PM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 22 Post(s)
Liked: 11
Can anyone confirm if using a Panasonic DP-UB820 4K bluray player with the X500/RS4910 do you also need to have a HD Linker/Fury/Integral or will it work perfectly fine like the Oppo 203 does by itself?

Thanks
post #6276 of 6358 Old 11-29-2018, 03:18 PM

Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Puzzled why (some) UHD content is working on my PJ?

I have an older DILA-x500R, and just recently got a Roku Ultra (4k). I've also got a Yamaha CXA-5100 (4k capable) AVR between them.
In playing with the Roku, I've discovered - much to my surprise - that it plays Amazon 4K UHD content fine, meaning no "no HDCP2.2" complaints.

It does show the HDCP2.2 error message when I try the YouTube 4K channel. I've not tried Netflix (don't have the 4k subscription).

So I'm a bit puzzled why Amazon's content, or at least the few I've tried (Bosch, Man in the High Castle), plays. I've checked the video resolution and it is being set to 4Kx2K.
I'm assuming that AMZ has the CP flag on for such content, but perhaps not?

Just curious if anyone here happens to know. Not like its keeping me up at night.

Thanks
post #6277 of 6358 Old 11-29-2018, 05:47 PM

Quoted: 170 Post(s)
Liked: 191
Quote:
Originally Posted by drwho099 View Post
Puzzled why (some) UHD content is working on my PJ?
i can't answer directly for the Roku, but are you sure you are playing the UHD version and not up-scaling the HD version? The UHD versions usually won't even show in Amazon usually unless the app has detected the appropriate features on the output device. UHD versions are a separate titles from the HD versions.

The AppleTV set to 4K (HDCP 1.4) no amazon UHD content shows and no netflix uhd badges. all content plays up-scaled to 4K. With 2.2 spoofed I get UHD titles showing in Amazon and Netflix.
post #6278 of 6358 Old 11-29-2018, 07:29 PM

Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Purple X View Post
i can't answer directly for the Roku, but are you sure you are playing the UHD version and not up-scaling the HD version? .
Interesting question.... I'm pretty sure its UHD content, since I've viewing it from a "4K Spotlight" channel on the Roku, which pushes me through to the Amazon site that shows the UHD banner on their show's ICON. That 4K Spotlight channel is the same one where I select the YouTube shows that fail to play.

I suppose its possible that the Roku Ultra ultimately redirected me to a HD version and upscales it, knowing that I don't have HDCP2.2 on the endpoint, but thats alot more intelligence in the device that I would expect it to have.
post #6279 of 6358 Old 11-29-2018, 07:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by drwho099 View Post
Interesting question.... I'm pretty sure its UHD content, since I've viewing it from a "4K Spotlight" channel on the Roku, which pushes me through to the Amazon site that shows the UHD banner on their show's ICON. That 4K Spotlight channel is the same one where I select the YouTube shows that fail to play.

I suppose its possible that the Roku Ultra ultimately redirected me to a HD version and upscales it, knowing that I don't have HDCP2.2 on the endpoint, but thats alot more intelligence in the device that I would expect it to have.
Sounds like you are getting the UHD version. the Roko redirecting to amazon is bypassing amazon's ui checks it seem. Enjoy while you can! The HCDP converters are not expensive and work as well
post #6280 of 6358 Old 11-30-2018, 12:25 PM
AVS Forum Addicted Member
Industry Insider

Mentioned: 75 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 6403 Post(s)
Liked: 6397
Quote:
Originally Posted by customav View Post
Would recommend buying an official JVC bulb from a dealer. I have heard that Mendtronix makes some that are OEM, but I have never used them myself.
Quote:
Ya know the bulb industry is a huge game out there, you never know what you are getting. Sure you can try something out, but you just never know. Sometimes its best to just go with a JVC bulb, but if you find a good cheap solution please post it
post #6281 of 6358 Old 12-02-2018, 01:23 AM

Quoted: 27 Post(s)
Liked: 6
Purchased a RS4910 a month ago and have had no problems until yesterday. Projector keeps shutting off on its own after about 10 minutes of running. Have about 600 hours on the bulb. When the projector shuts off the warning light flashes 2 times repeatedly. I looked at what that means and the warning code says that there is a fan issue.

Anyone else have this problem before and how did you fix it?

Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk
post #6282 of 6358 Old 12-04-2018, 04:41 AM

Quoted: 46 Post(s)
Liked: 26
Is anyone using the HDFury Integral with this unit? I just want to verify my settings on the Integral and the X500.

I've been using AutoMix via the HDFury app, allowing max audio & video, bt2020, YCbCr color and HDR.

My JVC is set to the calibrated 2020 user setting with 3 custom curves.

My unit was calibrated by Chad B (previous owner did this) and I've verified the rec709 calibration is accurate with my iD3 meter. I dont have the means/knowledge to check to 2020 and imported arve curves.

All my 4k content are discs via an Oppo 203, I have the Oppo set to auto for HDR.

When I play discs I get 4:2:2 8-bit HDR via the Oppo info and the JVC says x.v.color and 24fps.

I've watched a few 4k movies recently and they look dark, dull and washed out. Comparing Wreck It Ralph Blu-ray to the 4k version is a large difference..

Any suggestions?

Thanks

Sent from my SM-G965U1 using Tapatalk
post #6283 of 6358 Old 12-04-2018, 06:40 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by chadwick537 View Post
When I play discs I get 4:2:2 8-bit HDR via the Oppo info and the JVC says x.v.color and 24fps.

I've watched a few 4k movies recently and they look dark, dull and washed out. Comparing Wreck It Ralph Blu-ray to the 4k version is a large difference..

Any suggestions?
You need to manually select the user mode which has been set up with the BT.2020 color space and the PQ gamma curve whenever HDR is sent. Otherwise you are just viewing with the wrong gamma and color profile so it will look washed out. All the integral can do is flag to the Oppo what the projector as capable of. The projector still does not know to switch to a mode upon receiving the signal. Only the vertex can do that through serial control.

The Oppo extended info screen should show output 4:2:2 12 Bit HDR.
post #6284 of 6358 Old 12-04-2018, 06:58 AM

Quote:
You need to manually select the user mode which has been set up with the BT.2020 color space and the PQ gamma curve whenever HDR is sent. Otherwise you are just viewing with the wrong gamma and color profile so it will look washed out. All the integral can do is flag to the Oppo what the projector as capable of. The projector still does not know to switch to a mode upon receiving the signal. Only the vertex can do that through serial control.

The Oppo extended info screen should show output 4:2:2 12 Bit HDR.
Sorry I forgot to put that in my post, yes I am manually switching to the calibrated 2020HDR mode (w/ custom curves) on the JVC whenever I have 4k HDR content playing. I've been looking at the Vertex for auto-switching but having the BT app on the Integral is pretty handy from time to time (also haven't found a used Vertex yet).

I know the 2020SDR tone mapping is broken on the Oppo 203, but even using that with the JVC set to high lamp, 2020 and 2.4 SDR gamma looks "normal" compared to what I'm getting when letting the Oppo/Integral pass HDR.
post #6285 of 6358 Old 12-04-2018, 07:38 AM

Quote:
I know the 2020SDR tone mapping is broken on the Oppo 203, but even using that with the JVC set to high lamp, 2020 and 2.4 SDR gamma looks "normal" compared to what I'm getting when letting the Oppo/Integral pass HDR.
Right u

Washed out ie mean really flat looking) is usually viewing PQ gamma with normal gamma.
too dark is a PQ curve brightness setting.
raised black level is also a curve setting.

You say you have too dark and washed out. You mention that the oppo output said 8 bit; if this is true then the integral EDID setting needs to change to one that allows 12 bit to start with. I believe the projector is getting BT.2020 color as it is showing x.v which is it's catch all for flags it does not know about.

There are really only 2 things that I think could be wrong... an integral setting or something amiss the loaded PQ gamma curves . The only way you can investigate the later is to use AVRE's tool yourself.

Edit: actually I think you should double check the user mode you use for HDR and ensure that the custom gamma is set to import, otherwise it will just be a standard gamma.

Last edited by Purple X; 12-04-2018 at 07:44 AM.
post #6286 of 6358 Old 12-04-2018, 07:58 AM

Quote:
Right u

There are really only 2 things that I think could be wrong... an integral setting or something amiss the loaded PQ gamma curves . The only way you can investigate the later is to use AVRE's tool yourself.

Edit: actually I think you should double check the user mode you use for HDR and ensure that the custom gamma is set to import, otherwise it will just be a standard gamma.
I will play around with it when I get home later tonight and post a few screenshots of the Oppo screen -- I am second guessing myself with it being 8-bit or 12-bit 4:2:2 HDR. I know my JVC is set to 2020 w/ Custom 1-2-3 imported curves.

I was reading a few reviews on the last two HDR movies I watched (Wreck It Ralph and Red Sparrow) and based on the reviews maybe it's just how the films are supposed to look. I have a few other 4k discs that I haven't tried (Last Jedi, Greatest Showman) that have received solid visual reviews so I will give them a spin tonight as well.

I appreciate the help!
post #6287 of 6358 Old 12-05-2018, 04:11 AM

Quote:

I was able to investigate this last night. With my Integral on Automix (Max Audio/Max Video, HDR, 2020BT, YCbCr) and my Oppo set to Source Direct I get 4:2:2 12bit HDR on the Oppo and the x.v.color on my projector.

I verified the calibration reports and I do have everything entered correctly.

The curves looked a little better on Last Jedi and Greatest Showman but are still a bit dark for my tastes.

I might have to try Arves tool to see if I can brighten them up, otherwise the UB820 seems to be the go-to tone mapping device for 4k discs. Downside is that it doesn't work with any other devices...

post #6288 of 6358 Old 12-05-2018, 06:33 AM

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 131 Post(s)
Liked: 139
Quote:
The curves looked a little better on Last Jedi and Greatest Showman but are still a bit dark for my tastes.

I've been down the same road you have, with the same result. The one thing that finally made UHD watchable for me was buying a Panasonic 820 and using its tone mapping capabilities. Even then, there's some minor tweaking required on a per-disc basis, since each is mastered to a different curve and the metadata doesn't always tell the full story.
post #6289 of 6358 Old 12-05-2018, 10:41 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quoted: 202 Post(s)
Liked: 168
Quote:
Originally Posted by tebling View Post
I've been down the same road you have, with the same result. The one thing that finally made UHD watchable for me was buying a Panasonic 820 and using its tone mapping capabilities. Even then, there's some minor tweaking required on a per-disc basis, since each is mastered to a different curve and the metadata doesn't always tell the full story.
This is one of the things that has dampened my 4k upgrade thoughts.

Do any of you think 4k UHD disc is ever gonna be as easy to just plop in and play as it is with blu ray?

I can't tell how much of this is teething pains with the format, and how much of this is projector related. Meaning, with the new upcoming JVC's, and say the Panny 820, would one be able to calibrate to a 4k UHD calibration disc (like say the equivalent to the AVS709) and then be done with it? Or would we still still be having to tweak per disc due to the different mastering curves?

post #6290 of 6358 Old 12-05-2018, 11:48 AM

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 131 Post(s)
Liked: 139
Quote:
Originally Posted by fleaman View Post
This is one of the things that has dampened my 4k upgrade thoughts
I probably gave my post too much negative spin. Most of the UHD titles I've played since adding the UB820 to my chain have produced stunning results. Examples such as The Greatest Showman and Planet Earth II look simply gorgeous, and it's tough for me to imagine squeezing any more performance out of this now almost five year old projector.

My reply was also a bit misleading regarding the per-disc tweaking. Leaving the 820's tone mapping controls at default works for most titles - I'd say it's about 30% of the UHD titles that have me spending a few seconds dialing in a slightly better curve.

Granted, the price for all this has been high: brand new lamp, many hours spent on calibration, and plenty of $$$ on disc player, Vertex, cabling, and colorimeters. I would certainly hope UHD is more of a plug and play experience with the new breed of JVCs coming soon!
post #6291 of 6358 Old 12-05-2018, 05:43 PM

Quote:
This is one of the things that has dampened my 4k upgrade thoughts.

I wish I would've done more research before jumping into 4k with this projector as thus far the results haven't been worth the effort. I'm hoping the 820 tone mapping changes the game for me.

I'll be sure to report back.

Also researching a Vertex to auto-switch to the proper projector setting!

post #6292 of 6358 Old 12-05-2018, 05:51 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 121 Post(s)
Quoted: 4493 Post(s)
Liked: 1681
Quote:
I wish I would've done more research before jumping into 4k with this projector as thus far the results haven't been worth the effort.
I suggest you try creating your own curves, unless the previous owner has a very similar set up (screen size, screen gain, throw distance). The X500 is under-powered for HDR and you need to be able to optimize the curves based on the peak luminance you’re getting.

Quote:
Also researching a Vertex to auto-switch to the proper projector setting!
You would first need to have the correct settings before the Vertex can auto-switch to the “proper” setting
post #6293 of 6358 Old 12-05-2018, 05:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dominic Chan View Post
I suggest you try creating your own curves, unless the previous owner has a very similar set up (screen size, screen gain, throw distance). The X500 is under-powered for HDR and you need to be able to optimize the curves based on the peak luminance you’re getting.

You would first need to have the correct settings before the Vertex can auto-switch to the “proper” setting
Chad Bs calibration was done for the previous owner but the rec709 calibration is spot on for my setup so I would assume the hdr is similar as well...

He had a 95" 16:9 image, mine is 100" 16:9. He got 14fL low lamp and 21 high, I'm within 0.5fL.

The curves are fine, over all a little dark but I prefer to watch a 1080p br rather than a 4k at this point.

I know I'm low on lumens and limited gamut, it that's why we are in this thread =D

post #6294 of 6358 Old 12-05-2018, 05:59 PM

Quote:
I wish I would've done more research before jumping into 4k with this projector as thus far the results haven't been worth the effort. I'm hoping the 820 tone mapping changes the game for me.

You should load curves that have been set up for your desired brightness level with AVRE's tool. Do this first. I have good HDR 95% of the time. There is the occasional badly mastered movie that is too dark -- I am talking 1 in the last 6 months, 2 over the last 9 months -- but its a PITA to set up a curve for the odd movie, especially since you only have 3 slots for curves.

i have a relatively large screen for the lumen class of this projector.

With a laptop you can play with the diffuse white setting in almost real-time with the tool to get an appropriate level. It takes a few seconds to apply the change to the projector. The tool is not hard to use once you get into it. Start with JAVS curves as they have nice roll off settings. change the black to (bbo) to 0 foe the X500r and fiddle with difuse white setting (bw I think, its been a white)

You should only be out of pocket on a HDCP box which is like $40 in the US (It was a lot more than that here in Japan but still not bad) The UHD player was the expensive, I would have been happy with jsut the AppleTV but I bought the oppo for tone mapping which turned out to be not worth it.

Vertex is a nice to have as you can set things up to block dis-functioning 50/60 modes and make everything auto-matic. But it is just a nice to have

Last edited by Purple X; 12-05-2018 at 06:02 PM.
post #6295 of 6358 Old 12-05-2018, 06:44 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 121 Post(s)
Quoted: 4493 Post(s)
Liked: 1681
Quote:
Chad Bs calibration was done for the previous owner but the rec709 calibration is spot on for my setup so I would assume the hdr is similar as well...

He had a 95" 16:9 image, mine is 100" 16:9. He got 14fL low lamp and 21 high, I'm within 0.5fL.

The curves are fine, over all a little dark but I prefer to watch a 1080p br rather than a 4k at this point.

I know I'm low on lumens and limited gamut, it that's why we are in this thread =D
SDR calibration is relative; i.e., for the same calibration, regardless of the screen size etc, you’ll always get the same gamma, even though the peak luminance may vary.

HDR calibration, on the other hand, is absolute as the ST2084 EOTF specifies the actual luminance for each input value. That’s why the EOTF needs to be customized much more critically, especially when the peak luminance is low and “severe” tone mapping is required.

Having said that, if the previous setup is very similar to yours, then it may be a matter of preference in the trade off between mid tone brightness and the highlights. Again, custom curves will allow you to achieve that.
post #6296 of 6358 Old 12-06-2018, 06:58 AM

Quote:
You should only be out of pocket on a HDCP box which is like $40 in the US (It was a lot more than that here in Japan but still not bad) The UHD player was the expensive, I would have been happy with jsut the AppleTV but I bought the oppo for tone mapping which turned out to be not worth it.
I have the Monoprice HDCP converter and an Integral (only using Integral right now) as w/ the Monoprice I was having to switch the Oppo's output manually based on Rec709 (4:4:4) and 2020(4:2:2). Was I doing something wrong? I don't use any of the other futures on the Integral at the moment.

I am willing to take the time to learn HDR curves, however as of now 100% of my 4K content is discs. If the UB820 is going to be as good or better than custom curves I'm probably better off going that route. On the plus side, I can sell my Oppo =)
post #6297 of 6358 Old 12-06-2018, 11:48 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Here's the other thing> E-shift on my RS57 (X700) is a noticeable hum/buzz. Not sure I can live with it if I'm stuck with feeding 4k to get said benefits.

I assume y'all are feeding 4k vs a downconverted 1080p signal?
post #6298 of 6358 Old 12-06-2018, 06:01 PM

Quote:
I have the Monoprice HDCP converter and an Integral (only using Integral right now) as w/ the Monoprice I was having to switch the Oppo's output manually based on Rec709 (4:4:4) and 2020(4:2:2). Was I doing something wrong? I don't use any of the other futures on the Integral at the moment.
I don't remember having to change up Oppo setting. HDR Forced, output custom -> auto 24, bit depth auto from memory.

Quote:
I am willing to take the time to learn HDR curves, however as of now 100% of my 4K content is discs. If the UB820 is going to be as good or better than custom curves I'm probably better off going that route. On the plus side, I can sell my Oppo =)
People seem to be very happy with the Panasonic. You can get all your money back selling the Oppo

For reasons unknown to science Panasonic does not sell the 820 in Japan, they are still flogging the old 900, so I can't just pop up the road to see one in action. Most of my HDR content is coming from Netflix and itunes rentals; so it wont help me anyway... In case you didn't know the Netflix app in the Panasonic is fixed at 60Hz output making it useless on displays that don't really do 60fps 4k (Technically the projector will accept it but the results are poor)
post #6299 of 6358 Old 12-06-2018, 06:08 PM

Quote:
Here's the other thing> E-shift on my RS57 (X700) is a noticeable hum/buzz. Not sure I can live with it if I'm stuck with feeding 4k to get said benefits.

I assume y'all are feeding 4k vs a downconverted 1080p signal?
On my X500 e-shift is inaudable at 24hz when playing 4K after it syncs -- its noisy for a few seconds. it gets progressively louder at higher frame rates. I feed it 4K normally (native and up-converted) but limit what I send to 24/25/30 fps at 4K. e-shift noise is not a problem for me with these settings

e-shift on from 1080p seems to make a racket. very noisy.
post #6300 of 6358 Old 12-06-2018, 07:42 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
On my X500 e-shift is inaudable at 24hz when playing 4K after it syncs -- its noisy for a few seconds. it gets progressively louder at higher frame rates. I feed it 4K normally (native and up-converted) but limit what I send to 24/25/30 fps at 4K. e-shift noise is not a problem for me with these settings

e-shift on from 1080p seems to make a racket. very noisy.
Interesting. That doesn't make sense as the panels should be flipping back/forth at the same rate, regardless if the hdmi input sees 1080p or 4K (irrespective of frame rate)? Once the 4k resolution gets to the Eshift panel, the Eshift panel does it thing. Because, in theory, the Eshift panel would never see a native 1080p signal, right?

Anyways, I'd have to feed it 4k to find out and I don't have any 4K yet. Maybe a 4K youtube via macbook pro hdmi to JVC would work? Even if so, not sure if any of my HDMI cables would pass it.

As a reference, my E-shift is louder than my fan.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply Digital Hi-End Projectors - $3,000+ USD MSRP

Tags
Jvc , X500

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page