Official JVC DILA-X500R / RS49U / RS4910U Owners Thread - Page 211 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 
 2147Likes

post #6301 of 6405 Old 12-06-2018, 09:01 PM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 173 Post(s)
Liked: 196
Quote:
Originally Posted by fleaman View Post
Interesting. That doesn't make sense .....
I know right... makes no sense. This is one of the reasons why I didn't even attempt 4K for many years.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #6302 of 6405 Old 12-09-2018, 09:21 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 9 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Hey guys,

I'm having an issue with my rarely used X500. The lamp has 327 hours on it since new. I only have one device hooked up via HDMI, a PS4. I use Plex primarily to serve shows out and occasionally run a bluray from the PS4. The X500 has stopped working when running a bluray. The screen initially goes pink and then locks up black (disc continues to play as I get sound through my receiver). I've since tried many different blurays and all do the same thing. It's as if the projector freezes and the only thing I can do from the remote is shut it down (no menus or settings work). I have also tried a couple of other devices since then and all produce a similar issue. When I hook up and Apple Tv4 the display has a pink hue to it - it doesn't lock up the projector though. I have checked firmware and I'm on 1211.6 which I assume is the latest firmware for this model. I'm pretty disappointed given the price point of the projector. I have tried 4 other HDMI cables and all produce the same result. I'm wondering if there are any suggestions in terms of troubleshooting/solving the problem?

Thanks.

David
post #6303 of 6405 Old 12-11-2018, 10:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by davey_fl View Post
.... The X500 has stopped working when running a bluray. The screen initially goes pink....
In the JVC menu there is a section for input signal settings. Is Color space set to Auto? Everything going pink is what YCrCb displayed as RGB can look like. (or vice versa, I cant remember) There may have been a recent PS4 update that changed the output settings when playing Bluray discs.

If this makes the ATV work then the last thing is why it is going black and locking up the UI. When the UI locks up for me I can't even soft power down (I have this happen when mixing RS232 and ethernet control combined with signal format changes--not standard operation stuff) . You can so its not totally unresponsive. There is an option in the JVC to set the "no signal" display to blue instead of black. if you set this up does it go to Blue instead? If it stays black then it still thinks it has a signal. This may be a hardware fault.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #6304 of 6405 Old 12-12-2018, 07:27 AM

Quoted: 49 Post(s)
Liked: 27
Hi,

Wanted to give my thoughts as I recently acquired a Panasonic UB820 to use with my X500. I reviewed a few scenes that I was unhappy with using custom curves and also watched the 4K version of Oblivion. The UB820 was set to 2020/SDR and the projector was set on high lamp with 2.4 gamma. The image was certainly better than the curves and I thought all was well..

The UB820 automatically upscales 1080p content to 4K, which I wasn't thrilled about as I prefer to watch regular blu-rays as source direct. I considered it a trade off for the better curves on 4K, however this morning I decided to make sure the calibration Chad B was good despite a new player.

When the UB820 upscales my AVSHD disc to 4k I get large (5dE) red and magenta issues, if I set the player to 1080p (quite cumbersome to do each disc as it's 3-4 menu choices deep) I get the same results as my Oppo had when it output 1080p. I tried 4:2:2 12-bit, 4:4:4 12-bit, 4:4:4 8-bit 4K resolution and they all had the same error.

Does anyone know if this would be the result of e-shift or is it an error in the upscaling done by the UB820?

Anything else I should try?
post #6305 of 6405 Old 12-12-2018, 09:22 AM
AVS Forum Addicted Member
Industry Insider

Mentioned: 83 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 7028 Post(s)
Liked: 7058
Quote:
Originally Posted by incarnacio View Post
Yes, I tried reseating the bulb module several times. But didn't help. However, after seeing your question here this morning, the thought occurred to me to try inserting the OEM bulb which had failed after about 3.5 years. Thankfully I still had it. When I plugged it in, to my surprise, the projector powered right up and the old bulb even turned on and projected!!! Thus, I think we can conclude that the problem here is the replacement bulb I ordered about 6 months ago. Something must be shorting out inside or something. I ordered this replacement bulb from some place called Corgi Lamps that sells on Amazon. Clearly not high quality stuff. Does anyone have recommendations of where to get a high quality OEM bulb for this thing?
I would reach out to the seller on Amazon, you never know what some of these sellers may be able to do unless you ask I would ask them to replace the bulb and see what they say. JVC bulbs are not cheap, but you should not have the kind of issue you just had if you get one.
post #6306 of 6405 Old 12-15-2018, 06:17 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 319 Post(s)
Liked: 130
Quote:
Originally Posted by davey_fl View Post
Hey guys,

I'm having an issue with my rarely used X500. The lamp has 327 hours on it since new. I only have one device hooked up via HDMI, a PS4. I use Plex primarily to serve shows out and occasionally run a bluray from the PS4. The X500 has stopped working when running a bluray. The screen initially goes pink and then locks up black (disc continues to play as I get sound through my receiver). I've since tried many different blurays and all do the same thing. It's as if the projector freezes and the only thing I can do from the remote is shut it down (no menus or settings work). I have also tried a couple of other devices since then and all produce a similar issue. When I hook up and Apple Tv4 the display has a pink hue to it - it doesn't lock up the projector though. I have checked firmware and I'm on 1211.6 which I assume is the latest firmware for this model. I'm pretty disappointed given the price point of the projector. I have tried 4 other HDMI cables and all produce the same result. I'm wondering if there are any suggestions in terms of troubleshooting/solving the problem?

Thanks.

David
I've had a similar thing happen with an output of a Denon receiver...it just died. My advice is to use the Other HDMI input on the JVC and hope it doesn't go out. Also, agree to change your no signal screen to blue so you know the difference between no signal and a black screen frame. So, it will still receive a signal from other device (HTPC/Plex, roku stick)?

If none of these work you might try 1. calling JVC support, they can be helpful 2. doing a factory reset.(write you settings down first)
post #6307 of 6405 Old 12-26-2018, 10:29 PM

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 291 Post(s)
Liked: 49
Is anyone able to share some settings for the Panasonic UB820 player when used with this projector? I don’t have a lot of nits to play with on my 135” diagonal screen - just around 60 nits in high lamp and 40 in low.
post #6308 of 6405 Old 12-31-2018, 08:34 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 319 Post(s)
Liked: 130
Quote:
Originally Posted by sddawson View Post
Is anyone able to share some settings for the Panasonic UB820 player when used with this projector? I don’t have a lot of nits to play with on my 135” diagonal screen - just around 60 nits in high lamp and 40 in low.
I too am interested. Can the HDR bitmapping features of this player be utilized on this pj even though it won’t display 4K?
post #6309 of 6405 Old 12-31-2018, 05:49 PM

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 291 Post(s)
Liked: 49
Quote:
Originally Posted by pottscb View Post
I too am interested. Can the HDR bitmapping features of this player be utilized on this pj even though it won’t display 4K?
This projector definitely can display 4K. See the excellent guide at https://www.avsforum.com/forum/24-di...l#post55629758, and a lot of subsequent posts/questions (mostly from me!). The 820 should be able to take the place of the 203 mentioned in the guide, and output 4K, SDR, BT2020 (with the help of the mentioned HDCP converter).
post #6310 of 6405 Old 01-14-2019, 09:27 PM

Quoted: 17 Post(s)
Liked: 13
I'm having a weird pink screen issue.

Until this morning, all was working fine, then today I ran an autocal and after i saved the result, my image basically turned pink/red .

This is only in low power, when in high lamp power, the picture appears normal again.

What's going on?

I cannot autocal in low as the screen is pink so the spyder sensor doesn't light up.
I did another autocal in high lamp, but the problem still persists

Factory reset did nothing.

An ideas?
post #6311 of 6405 Old 01-14-2019, 09:44 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 256 Post(s)
Liked: 176
Quote:
Originally Posted by simacu View Post
I cannot autocal in low as the screen is pink so the spyder sensor doesn't light up.
I did another autocal in high lamp, but the problem still persists

Factory reset did nothing.

An ideas?
Not sure if the factory reset will restore the INIT file (your original factory calibration)---I don't think it will.

I would restore the INIT file that is made and saved (after your 1st autocal), that should resolve the low lamp pink issue, then try autocal again.
simacu likes this.
post #6312 of 6405 Old 01-14-2019, 09:45 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

BTW, it takes a LONG time for that INIT file to restore---like maybe 30 mins or so FWIR....so don't think your PJ/autocal is stuck, just let it do its thing...
simacu likes this.
post #6313 of 6405 Old 01-14-2019, 10:31 PM

Quoted: 17 Post(s)
Liked: 13
You're a life saver, the pink has now gone.

Will try another autocal when i get a moment. Good to know i can restore

Thanks
post #6314 of 6405 Old 01-17-2019, 08:02 AM

Quoted: 107 Post(s)
Liked: 33
I currently own the 4910 projector. I have had for about 3 years and I am thinking about upgrading to another projector that can do the newest standards (HDR etc).

Any recommended JVS projector? Or should I consider another brand/model?

A few considerations:
-My player is an Oppo 205
- My digital preamp cannot do 4k so I am thinking that I can use a switch to connect to my 4k sources (Apple TV, Roku) and feed the output of the switch to the Oppo HDMI In port. Anybody doing this? Can you guys recommend a switch suitable for this task?
- I have an older 35 feet long HDMI cable that runs from the Oppo to the projector. Will I need to replace this cable? If so, suggestions?
- Is there anything else that I am missing and that I should consider?
post #6315 of 6405 Old 01-17-2019, 10:49 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by simacu View Post
You're a life saver, the pink has now gone.

Will try another autocal when i get a moment. Good to know i can restore

Thanks
Glad I could help
post #6316 of 6405 Old 01-17-2019, 10:58 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nicoff View Post
I currently own the 4910 projector. I have had for about 3 years and I am thinking about upgrading to another projector that can do the newest standards (HDR etc).

Any recommended JVS projector? Or should I consider another brand/model?
The newest JVC's can handle the HDR a lot better and easier (w/o going through all those custom upload calibration file do-dads). That should be the easiest way to go about it, though it doesn't mean JVC might still improve on it on future models---like maybe adding dynamic gamma curves that auto adjust on a scene/frame by frame process (instead of static for the whole title).

Though I'm not the expert here on HDR...just a casual observer....
post #6317 of 6405 Old 01-17-2019, 11:07 AM

Official JVC DILA-X500R / RS49U / RS4910U Owners Thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by fleaman View Post
The newest JVC's can handle the HDR a lot better and easier (w/o going through all those custom upload calibration file do-dads). That should be the easiest way to go about it, though it doesn't mean JVC might still improve on it on future models---like maybe adding dynamic gamma curves that auto adjust on a scene/frame by frame process (instead of static for the whole title).

Though I'm not the expert here on HDR...just a casual observer....

Thank you!

Good points! If I am going to upgrade the projector, I am looking for a projector that is HDR-ready without going through custom upload calibration etc.

I also read elsewhere that HDR10+ looks like the way most manufacturers are moving to. Any JVC projector doing HDR10+ yet?

Last edited by Nicoff; 01-17-2019 at 11:40 AM.
post #6318 of 6405 Old 01-17-2019, 11:42 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Thank you!

If I am going to upgrade the projector, I am looking for a projector that is HDR-ready without going through custom upload calibration etc. I also read elsewhere that HDR10+ looks like the way most manufacturers are moving to. Any JVC projector doing HDR10+ yet?
Not HDR10+ yet...just HDR10.

So I myself am gonna holdout for the next model as I think HDR and such is still being sussed out---with all that tone mapping and such. Not much content avail w/HDR10+ anyways.

Then there's the whole issue of whether projectors are fully capable of the HDR format. So true 'HDR-ready' would be one of the top flatscreens. That being said, the new JVC's can at least deal with HDR and the tone mapping way better than the older ones.

Here's a owners thread of the new JVC's...I just started going through it...but only a few pgs in>

https://www.avsforum.com/forum/24-di...rs-thread.html
post #6319 of 6405 Old 01-17-2019, 11:58 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

As a stopgap, look into the Panny 820 player which has onboard tone mapping and converts that to SDR for your older JVC. Then you don't have to upload curves to your PJ, etc.

https://www.soundandvision.com/conte...-player-review

https://hdgear.highdefdigest.com/622...rayplayer.html
post #6320 of 6405 Old 01-17-2019, 01:10 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Some quotes from the new JVC thread that might be helpful>

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pete View Post
Auto Tone Mapping has been around for a while. Why do the press releases make it sound like it's somehow a unique JVC feature?
Quote:
Originally Posted by dkersten View Post
For the price level the JVC's are at, tone mapping was previously something you needed an external processor for, with the options being the Panasonic 820, which was not terribly expensive but could only tone map blu rays and a couple of the internal apps, or the Lumagen Pro, which could tone map any source but at a cost of over $8k. There is also MadVR, but that limits you to tone mapping PC based files, with no ability to tone map apps like Netflix or Amazon, and requires an HTPC.

If you couldn't get well over 30fL (and realistically over 45fL) out of your projector/screen combo, your only other option for HDR was static tone maps (custom luminance curves) but you really need several for different situations and knowing which to pick and the right buttons to push is painful for the non-tech users in the house. And of course getting these custom curves requires experienced calibrators and it is all lost if you have to send the projector in for service.

So to get a mostly "set it and forget it" feature like the one in these new JVC's is huge, especially for people like me who have larger screens and can't get over 30fL on HDR and who has all 4k UHD media stored on hard drive instead of on optical media.
post #6321 of 6405 Old 01-17-2019, 05:33 PM

If I just want to use the Oppo 205 to display 4K Standard Dynamic Range (SDR) on the JVC 4910, do I need to do anything special?
Would I be able to stream 4k content from Apple TV 4k to the JVC 4910 via the Oppo 205?
post #6322 of 6405 Old 01-17-2019, 05:50 PM

Quote:
If I just want to use the Oppo 205 to display 4K Standard Dynamic Range (SDR) on the JVC 4910, do I need to do anything special?
Would I be able to stream 4k content from Apple TV 4k to the JVC 4910 via the Oppo 205?
You need a HDMI 2.0 to 1.4 converter box such as sold by Monoprice (exactly the same box is available from a myriad of brandnames from china). They are cheap. since your receiver is 1.4 you need one per device.

You do not need to plug in the apple tv into the oppo. In fact this is not 100% reliable

This will get you 4K SDR with no other changes. be careful that 4K 50/60 is pretty rough on the 4910; use Output Custom/Auto24 on the oppo which will limit the oppo to 24/25/30; the oppo will framerate convert 50/60 to 25/30.

This has been explained in detail in this thread earlier. Go back the last few pages to read up on it.
post #6323 of 6405 Old 01-17-2019, 08:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Purple X View Post
You need a HDMI 2.0 to 1.4 converter box such as sold by Monoprice (exactly the same box is available from a myriad of brandnames from china). They are cheap. since your receiver is 1.4 you need one per device.

You do not need to plug in the apple tv into the oppo. In fact this is not 100% reliable

This will get you 4K SDR with no other changes. be careful that 4K 50/60 is pretty rough on the 4910; use Output Custom/Auto24 on the oppo which will limit the oppo to 24/25/30; the oppo will framerate convert 50/60 to 25/30.

This has been explained in detail in this thread earlier. Go back the last few pages to read up on it.
Ok, let me see if I understand what you are saying. Since I plan to have two 4k sources (Apple TV 4k and Roku) I will need two converter boxes.

1. Connect the output of my Apple TV to one HDMI 2.0 to 1.4 converter box. Then connect the 1.4 signal coming from the converter box to my digital preamp (Bryston SP3).
2. Do the same with the Roku using a separate converter box.
3. Now the AppleTV and the Roku are connected to the Bryston SP3 digital preamp.
4. Then connect the HDMI output from the SP3 preamp to the HDMI In of the Oppo 205.
5. Connect the HDMI video out of the Oppo directly to the projector.
6. Set the Oppo to limit the video output to Custom/Auto24.

If I do all this, then I will get 4k SDR sent to the JVC projector. Did I get this right?

Is 4k SDR a much better image than the 1080p that I am getting now?

Thanks!!
post #6324 of 6405 Old 01-17-2019, 09:30 PM

Quote:
Ok, let me see if I understand what you are saying. Since I plan to have two 4k sources (Apple TV 4k and Roku) I will need two converter boxes.

1. Connect the output of my Apple TV to one HDMI 2.0 to 1.4 converter box. Then connect the 1.4 signal coming from the converter box to my digital preamp (Bryston SP3).
2. Do the same with the Roku using a separate converter box.
3. Now the AppleTV and the Roku are connected to the Bryston SP3 digital preamp.
4. Then connect the HDMI output from the SP3 preamp to the HDMI In of the Oppo 205.
5. Connect the HDMI video out of the Oppo directly to the projector.
6. Set the Oppo to limit the video output to Custom/Auto24.

If I do all this, then I will get 4k SDR sent to the JVC projector. Did I get this right?

Is 4k SDR a much better image than the 1080p that I am getting now?

Thanks!!
That will not work. the Oppo will still see HDMI 1.4 and will block protected 4K content. The set up I was imagining was

ATV /Rokko /Oppo -> Converter(s) -> AMP -> Projector. But this assumed your preamp was HDMI 1.4 and can switch 4K (which is part of HDMI 1.4) I think the Bryston is not even 1.4. Its from 2011 right?

Your options as I see it (now that I know more about your pre-amp) are:

1)
Sources -> (switch) -> Oppo in ->
HDMI out 1 -> [Converter] -> projector
HDMI out 2 -> amp

This is basically what you said before + the converter. I can't tell you which switches work well with 4K as I've never tried one but i do know they are rare. I'd stick with one media box first for 4K (ie ATV or Rokko). I can tell you straight up there are times the Oppo will lock up on frame rate changes ( 24 fps to 25fps material) with this setup. These can be cleared by going back to the menu using the remote blind and retrying.

2)
Up to 2 sources -> Vertex
Vertex top output -> projector
Vertex bottom output -> amp;

HDFury Vertex configured to auto-mix and scale down for the Amp; set to HDMI 1.4 output on both top and bottom outputs. When converting to 1.4 HDCP rules say you can only have 1 device before the conversion and still be compliant. Using oppo input is not reliable due to HDCP issues. HDCP rules only allow 1 device north of a 1.4 conversion. Vertex with HDCP 1.4 conversion activated develops intermittent sync problems on video with more than 1 2.0 source device which is caused by this HDCP limitation. The mono price adapter however is fine in my experience. I think the later is strictly speaking out of spec.

3) HDFury are soon releasing a new device with 4 inputs vs the current 2.

4) replace the Bryston. I'm sorry but this is the best option IMO. Processing and DACS have improved a bit since 2011, I would doubt you will notice any quality loss using a new, cheaper, AV Receiver with preouts. I understand that the equivalent pre-amp with balanced outs is very expensive.

My set up (HDMI 2.0b amp) is
ATV/Oppo -> Vertex (For EDI Spoofing and automation) -> Amp -> Converter -> Projector

one set up I tried and could not get to work reliably was
ATV -> Oppo -> Amp -> vertex -> projector
post #6325 of 6405 Old 01-18-2019, 10:22 AM

Quote:
That will not work. the Oppo will still see HDMI 1.4 and will block protected 4K content. The set up I was imagining was

ATV /Rokko /Oppo -> Converter(s) -> AMP -> Projector. But this assumed your preamp was HDMI 1.4 and can switch 4K (which is part of HDMI 1.4) I think the Bryston is not even 1.4. Its from 2011 right?

Your options as I see it (now that I know more about your pre-amp) are:

1)

Sources -> (switch) -> Oppo in ->

HDMI out 1 -> [Converter] -> projector

HDMI out 2 -> amp

This is basically what you said before + the converter. I can't tell you which switches work well with 4K as I've never tried one but i do know they are rare. I'd stick with one media box first for 4K (ie ATV or Rokko). I can tell you straight up there are times the Oppo will lock up on frame rate changes ( 24 fps to 25fps material) with this setup. These can be cleared by going back to the menu using the remote blind and retrying.

2)

Up to 2 sources -> Vertex

Vertex top output -> projector

Vertex bottom output -> amp;

HDFury Vertex configured to auto-mix and scale down for the Amp; set to HDMI 1.4 output on both top and bottom outputs. When converting to 1.4 HDCP rules say you can only have 1 device before the conversion and still be compliant. Using oppo input is not reliable due to HDCP issues. HDCP rules only allow 1 device north of a 1.4 conversion. Vertex with HDCP 1.4 conversion activated develops intermittent sync problems on video with more than 1 2.0 source device which is caused by this HDCP limitation. The mono price adapter however is fine in my experience. I think the later is strictly speaking out of spec.

3) HDFury are soon releasing a new device with 4 inputs vs the current 2.

4) replace the Bryston. I'm sorry but this is the best option IMO. Processing and DACS have improved a bit since 2011, I would doubt you will notice any quality loss using a new, cheaper, AV Receiver with preouts. I understand that the equivalent pre-amp with balanced outs is very expensive.

My set up (HDMI 2.0b amp) is

ATV/Oppo -> Vertex (For EDI Spoofing and automation) -> Amp -> Converter -> Projector

one set up I tried and could not get to work reliably was

ATV -> Oppo -> Amp -> vertex -> projector

Thank you for your thoughtful reply and analysis. I too realize that the big elephant in the room is my outdated digital preamp that I need to replace sooner rather than later.

In the short term, the idea of concentrating on only one 4k source makes lots of sense.

Along that line of thought, couldn't I just connect either the ATV OR the Roku to the second HDMI input of the projector? Based on what has been described the connection would something like this work?

[ATV or Roku] -> Converter Box -> JVC

Or Maybe the JVC cannot handle the signal without it first being processed (I.e., slowed down) by another device like the Oppo?

The source/converter box/ projector would be located next to each other so that avoids the need for a long active HDMI cable. There is not Ethernet cable in that location. I do have a very strong WiFi signal there. Also I would still have to figure out how to get the audio from the ATV or Roku to the digital preamp which is far away.

Since the JVC has two HDMI inputs, I would use one input (HDMI 1) for regular 1080p sources and the other (HDMI 2) for the sole 4k source.

Note 1: I do not have any 4k disks. The 4k material would come via streaming from the ATV or the Roku.

Note 2: I just realized that the new Apple TV does not have a separate audio output like the older ATV units so that may complicate things a bit if I go the Apple route.

Thoughts/ ideas are welcome!

Thanks!
post #6326 of 6405 Old 01-18-2019, 03:53 PM

Quote:

Note 2: I just realized that the new Apple TV does not have a separate audio output like the older ATV units so that may complicate things a bit if I go the Apple route.

Thanks!
Correct. you wont get any audio if you feed it directly to the projector. you need to plug it into the oppo or use a vertex to get audio separated from the video. The oppo you already own so i'd start there then evaluate again.
post #6327 of 6405 Old 01-19-2019, 03:14 PM

Quote:
Correct. you wont get any audio if you feed it directly to the projector. you need to plug it into the oppo or use a vertex to get audio separated from the video. The oppo you already own so i'd start there then evaluate again.

Thanks Purple X!
post #6328 of 6405 Old 01-21-2019, 12:11 PM

Official JVC DILA-X500R / RS49U / RS4910U Owners Thread

So here is an update. I have installed the ATV 4k; connected it to the Oppo 205 HDMI In; and installed the HDMI 2.2 to 1.4 converter between the Oppo output and the projector.

I experimented by streaming a 4k movie from Amazon Prime Video.

The JVC projector says that it is receiving 4k image. Here is the info:

There are no artifacts that I can see on the screen. However I find that the image / colors are a bit bland.

Questions:
-do I have to make any color adjustments/tweaks in the projector?
- do I have to make adjustments/tweaks to the Oppo 205?
- can anyone recommend a movie that I will really show the improvements of 4k?

Thanks!!

Last edited by Nicoff; 01-21-2019 at 01:52 PM.
post #6329 of 6405 Old 01-21-2019, 05:25 PM

Quote:
- can anyone recommend a movie that I will really show the improvements of 4k?
Colors should be the exactly the same, make sure it is still using the same picture mode as what you were using with 1080
You might need to check HDMI output range settings on ATV and oppo (and projector) to make sure they all match (15...235)
Grand Tour is native 4k on Prime.... most amazon originals are 4K native on prime, movies are more hit and miss.
For movies the most 4K content is on iTunes.
Most movies on Netflix are not 4K unless they are Netflix originals but there is a ton of original content that is.

Edit: Make your you are sending SDR not HDR. The Oppo HDMI IN has settings to force HDR for the input; for SDR only this should be Off.

Next step you can use the oppo to conveft HDR to SDR, in which case you can Force HDR for HDMI IN then use teh HDR Off (BT.709) settings to convert to SDR. Confusing I know... the HDMI In can pretend you are connected to a HDR display (HDR on for input), then it can convert the HDR to SDR (HDR off for output)

Last edited by Purple X; 01-21-2019 at 06:03 PM.
post #6330 of 6405 Old 01-21-2019, 05:48 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 152 Post(s)
Quoted: 5402 Post(s)
Liked: 2143
Quote:
There are no artifacts that I can see on the screen. However I find that the image / colors are a bit bland.

Questions:
Apparently the OPPO HDR tone mapping has a bug that results in outputting Rec709 colour space instead of BT2020. Not sure if that’s related to your observation.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply Digital Hi-End Projectors - $3,000+ USD MSRP

Tags
Jvc , X500

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page