Official JVC DILA-X500R / RS49U / RS4910U Owners Thread - Page 212 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 
 2142Likes

post #6331 of 6358 Old 01-22-2019, 07:27 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 100 Post(s)
Liked: 32
Quote:
Originally Posted by Purple X View Post

Edit: Make your you are sending SDR not HDR. The Oppo HDMI IN has settings to force HDR for the input; for SDR only this should be Off.

Next step you can use the oppo to conveft HDR to SDR, in which case you can Force HDR for HDMI IN then use teh HDR Off (BT.709) settings to convert to SDR. Confusing I know... the HDMI In can pretend you are connected to a HDR display (HDR on for input), then it can convert the HDR to SDR (HDR off for output)

Thank you! That's how I got it to work.

So right now I am using the Apple TV 4k as my main source for 4k content using Amazon Prime Video. ATV 4k is connected directly to the Oppo, the Oppo connects to the converter, and the converter to the projector. It works!

By the way, I checked to see if the SP3 would pass the 4k video signal coming from the converter and I could not make it work. A picture showed but the colors were totally messed up.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #6332 of 6358 Old 01-22-2019, 07:30 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dominic Chan View Post
Apparently the OPPO HDR tone mapping has a bug that results in outputting Rec709 colour space instead of BT2020. Not sure if that’s related to your observation.

Thanks Dominic! I finally got the system set up properly. See my post right above. Not familiar with the bug, but it is working for me now. Thank you for your reply!
post #6333 of 6358 Old 01-27-2019, 10:52 AM

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 145 Post(s)
Liked: 69
Lamp Replacement Question

Sorry if this has been addressed elsewhere. I have a DLA-RS6710U which requires the same lamp, (PK-L2312UP) as many others JVC projectors of this vintage.

I just replaced the lamp with Projector Lamp Source https://www.projectorlampsource.com/...6710_lamp.html version of PK-L2312UP. Their sight says, “Genuine Original Lamp with Housing”. The box the replacement lamp came in states “USHIO”. After replacing I turned the projector on, and it appears to work fine.

My question: Is this an acceptable replacement lamp for JVC projectors or should I really be using an OEM JVC Lamp? The prices range from less than $100 for various offerings on Amazon to over $400 for what I think is an original equipment JVC lamp assembly.

In other words, am I OK as long as the replacement lamp has a Ushio bulb, or should I spend the big bucks for a genuine JVC assembly?

Do any of you have a preferred lamp replacement source?
Thanks a bunch!

Audio: Classé SSP-800 Pre-Pro, Classé CA-5300 Amp, Pro-Ject Debut Carbon, Mytek Brooklyn DAC, Roon, Tidal, MQA Usher Audio CP-8571 LR, BE-616 C, S520 S, SVS SB16 Ultra X 2
Video: JVC DLA RS-6710 Projector, Oppo BDP-105D, Roku Ultra, DirecTV Genie,
Other: APC H15 Power Conditioner, Dedicated 20 Amp 10 Ga Romex Circuit, eero Pro WiFi System with Actiontec Bonded MoCA Ethernet
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #6334 of 6358 Old 01-28-2019, 08:43 AM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 0
Quote:
Originally Posted by John Robert View Post
Thanks for the feedback. The strange thing is, my fault/warning indicator in the row of 3 lights (outer two are solid red, the middle light is orange and blinks twice), doesn't appear in the manual. My dealer is investigating, I'll post his findings.

Is the ballast user replaceable or did you send it in for service?

John
Hello,

I was wondering if you would share your experience with your JVC projector repair at Mendtronix. Yesterday I experienced the exact same warning fault. Solid red Standby and Warning lights, lamp light orange blinking twice. What did the problem end up being, and was Mendtronix able to repair? Any advice you'd care to offer would be REALLY appreciated. Our theater is about 4 years old, and I'd prefer not to drop a ton of money on new equipment.

Thank you so much in advance!

Dave
post #6335 of 6358 Old 01-28-2019, 10:39 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quoted: 24 Post(s)
Liked: 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by [email protected] View Post
I was wondering if you would share your experience with your JVC projector repair at Mendtronix.
Dave, it was good news, bad news with Mendtronix. The repair plus shipping on my PJ was ~ $350, service was timely, communication good and it worked like new when I got it back.

Unfortunately, it began acting up with a different set of symptoms less than a year later, with a weird half-screen affect implying major issues. It will now only display 1080i content, carefully scaled through my OPPO 103. Since the player has a HDMI input, I send my DirecTV signal through it also as a workaround.

So I'm kind of in the same boat as you, decided between repair or a new PJ. The new JVC native 4K units are tempting, but $6K is a real budget stretch.

Hope this helps...

John

"What happens in Vegas..."
post #6336 of 6358 Old 01-30-2019, 04:37 PM

Official JVC DILA-X500R / RS49U / RS4910U Owners Thread

Thinking ahead...
Which projectors should I consider when the time comes to replace my 4910? (I read that JVC now has several native 4k projectors in the market but it does not have to be a JVC)
post #6337 of 6358 Old 01-30-2019, 05:38 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nicoff View Post
Thinking ahead...
Which projectors should I consider when the time comes to replace my 4910? (I read that JVC now has several native 4k projectors in the market but it does not have to be a JVC)
Hard to answer without knowing your budget.

The price of pixel-shifting 4K PJ's has come down, but JVC is still the class of that group. You can get a DLA-RS540 for less than four grand, a very nice projector.

If you're looking for native 4K, starts at $6K for the new JVC and $8K for Sony though there is a new Optoma 4K PJ for $3999...

John

post #6338 of 6358 Old 01-30-2019, 05:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by John Robert View Post
Hard to answer without knowing your budget.

The price of pixel-shifting 4K PJ's has come down, but JVC is still the class of that group. You can get a DLA-RS540 for less than four grand, a very nice projector.

If you're looking for native 4K, starts at $6K for the new JVC and $8K for Sony though there is a new Optoma 4K PJ for $3999...

John

I would be interested in native 4k. Definitely not more than $8k. My first projector was a Sony. But I have had several JVC over the past 10 or so years and have had good experience with them. So I could be biased toward JVC.
post #6339 of 6358 Old 01-30-2019, 06:03 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nicoff View Post
But I have had several JVC over the past 10 or so years and have had good experience with them. So I could be biased toward JVC.
Agreed, I'm on my third JVC PJ, have had great support from them and from my dealer, Gregg Loewen at
Lion Audio Video Consultants, in resolving various issues over the years. My new projector will come from him...

John

post #6340 of 6358 Old 02-01-2019, 09:23 AM

Quoted: 46 Post(s)
Liked: 26
Grayscale Calibration

Is there anyway to manually adjust the grayscale (11-pt scale) on these units? It doesn't look like the JVC Auto-Calibration software has it until a newer version and the menus on the projector itself offer basic adjustments?
post #6341 of 6358 Old 02-01-2019, 09:39 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 121 Post(s)
Quoted: 4486 Post(s)
Liked: 1679
Quote:
Originally Posted by chadwick537 View Post
Is there anyway to manually adjust the grayscale (11-pt scale) on these units? It doesn't look like the JVC Auto-Calibration software has it until a newer version and the menus on the projector itself offer basic adjustments?
Newer models do it in autocal software, older models do it in the projector user interface. The RS49/X500R is the only generation that provides no manual adjustments of gamma (unless it’s hidden in the Service Menu).

Last edited by Dominic Chan; 02-01-2019 at 09:51 AM.
post #6342 of 6358 Old 02-09-2019, 07:34 AM

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 262 Post(s)
Liked: 683
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dominic Chan View Post
Newer models do it in autocal software, older models do it in the projector user interface. The RS49/X500R is the only generation that provides no manual adjustments of gamma (unless it’s hidden in the Service Menu).
Anybody getting good results with larger screen sizes and the 4910. I want to jump up from 120" to 150" or 160"....
My theater room is totally blacked out and no windows. Thanks

Projector - JVC RS4910, Speakers - JBL Studio L890's fronts, L820's surrounds, L810's rears, L C2 center (blown tweeter, replaced with Martin Logan Motion 50XT center), Polk Audio OWM-5's for four Atmos ceiling speakers. Subwoofers - dual PSA V3600's, AVR - Yamaha 3040 with Crown XLS-1500 amps running the center and front towers. Bluray Player - Oppo BDP-105D, UHD 4K player - Philips BDP-7501. Projection Screen - 150" Elite Screens.
post #6343 of 6358 Old 02-10-2019, 02:21 PM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 62 Post(s)
Liked: 28
Hi.
Sorry if this is a repeating question.

Anyone with a link to basic good settings for the X500R for ordinary 1080p Blu-Ray use?

Just bought one second hand and want to plot basic settings for a good 1080p Blu-Ray picture.
Which features to activate and which to disable or tweak.

(tried searching this thread, but 212 pages, and a lot to digest.)
post #6344 of 6358 Old 03-17-2019, 05:57 PM

My 4910 projector turns off automatically after being on for about 15 mins.
I cleaned the filter and set ECO off as recommended in the manual but it stills does it. Lamp has about 1100 hours. Any ideas? Thanks!!
post #6345 of 6358 Old 04-13-2019, 07:53 AM

Quoted: 14 Post(s)
Hello 4910 owners, I have a question to ask that I am sure if I read the 6K pot I will be able to find but here is where I am looking for a little help and then I can go fish for the data that I need.

I have the 4910 projector a good 4 years now and was happy with everything until very recently jumped on Dolby Atmos at which point starting looking at 4K as well since the 4910 has the eshift. Here is my configuration. What I am looking for in help is after looking at my configuration, if you point me to “Look for 1,2,3,4 and you will get 4K on your 4910”. I can then dig into how to get 1,2,3,4 etc.

Screen size: 133” 2.35 format
Throw distance – 14 feet
Screen – Dalite 1.3 gain
Projector – 4910
Receiver – Denon 6500H
UHD Player – Panasonic 820
Media player – Apple TV 4K
Cables – updated HDMI to support latest standards

I don’t watch Netflix or Amazon prime in 4K (yet). I like physical media. I plan to rent 4K media from Redbox. Eventually will also start renting in Apple TV 4K. Don’t own any media in 4K yet for obvious reasons that I just looking at 4k.

My goal is without getting a native 4K yet, what do I need to do/get so that I can enjoy 4k with my current setup. I understand that I may not get HDR and have to stick with SDR (HDR is a concept that I am trying to get my head around). If you can give me pointers on everything that I need to see 4k using my UHD player and my Apple tv 4K, that would be super helpful.

Thank you in advance!
post #6346 of 6358 Old 04-16-2019, 07:13 AM

Quoted: 27 Post(s)
Liked: 9
Quote:
Originally Posted by jollyguy23 View Post
Hello 4910 owners, I have a question to ask that I am sure if I read the 6K pot I will be able to find but here is where I am looking for a little help and then I can go fish for the data that I need.

I have the 4910 projector a good 4 years now and was happy with everything until very recently jumped on Dolby Atmos at which point starting looking at 4K as well since the 4910 has the eshift. Here is my configuration. What I am looking for in help is after looking at my configuration, if you point me to “Look for 1,2,3,4 and you will get 4K on your 4910”. I can then dig into how to get 1,2,3,4 etc.

Throw distance – 14 feet
Screen – Dalite 1.3 gain
Projector – 4910
Receiver – Denon 6500H

I don’t watch Netflix or Amazon prime in 4K (yet). I like physical media. I plan to rent 4K media from Redbox. Eventually will also start renting in Apple TV 4K. Don’t own any media in 4K yet for obvious reasons that I just looking at 4k.

My goal is without getting a native 4K yet, what do I need to do/get so that I can enjoy 4k with my current setup. I understand that I may not get HDR and have to stick with SDR (HDR is a concept that I am trying to get my head around). If you can give me pointers on everything that I need to see 4k using my UHD player and my Apple tv 4K, that would be super helpful.

Thank you in advance!
I think the only thing you NEED is HDCP 2.2 to 1.4 converter. Monoprice has a pretty low cost one available. If you need to do any HDR stripping or converting into SDR then you may want to look into the HDFury Integrity. I don't know a whole lot about them though, so I wouldn't be a good source for questions. This projector won't support a color scheme for HDR and isn't nearly bright enough so you may only want to pass SDR. I think the 820 can do that though so you may need the HDFury unless it would help with your AppleTv
post #6347 of 6358 Old 04-16-2019, 07:17 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by brahman12 View Post
Anybody getting good results with larger screen sizes and the 4910. I want to jump up from 120" to 150" or 160"....
My theater room is totally blacked out and no windows. Thanks
I'd say it'll somewhat depend on your gain and your input source. I've shot my 4910 to a 138" 16:9 box on a brown painted wall. In the dark, with TV sources, like normal TV shows/sports, its pretty good. With darker movie type images its pretty dim, but watchable. I have no idea what the gain of just the wall is, but its less bright than the Seymour UF sample I have that tests at .8 gain. I will say I have an upgrade bug now, and one of the reasons for that is hoping to go to a 130" wide scope screen and wanting more brightness.
post #6348 of 6358 Old 04-16-2019, 07:12 PM

Quoted: 9 Post(s)
Liked: 3
Quote:
Originally Posted by jollyguy23 View Post

Throw distance – 14 feet
Screen – Dalite 1.3 gain
Projector – 4910
Receiver – Denon 6500H

Thank you in advance!
All you need to actually make the system work is the HDCP 2.2 to 1.4 converter and the projector will accept the 4k output from your 820. However, making it enjoyable is a different question. You'll need to find Manni's BT2020NF color profile and load that to the PJ. I don't recall exactly which post, but you can search and you'll find it. That will get the PJ to the widest color gamut possible for this model. I don't have the panny 820, so I don't know how well the HDR-SDR conversion is within the player, but the slider with my 900 isn't super great. I ended up making custom curves with Arve's tool. There's lots of info on this thread about that if you search for Arves.

I posted a while back (post 6093) about my subjective findings with HDR on my setup, which is all described in the post. In summary, I found that if I put the projector in high lamp mode it was as good as a regular old bluray, and worse in low lamp. Its really difficult to get HDR to look good on low nit displays, which will likely be a problem for you as well. There are some major strides being made in this area with madvr, and at some point madashi is going to put out madvr Envy. If it's as good as everyone is hoping, then then that might be something to consider to add into the chain.

Kinda off topic, but I'm not aware that Redbox rents 4k movies. I also rent from Redbox and I've only seen bluray. I have to rent 4k movies from my Family Video store.
post #6349 of 6358 Old 04-20-2019, 11:00 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quoted: 202 Post(s)
Liked: 168
Quote:
Originally Posted by mturunner View Post
Kinda off topic, but I'm not aware that Redbox rents 4k movies. I also rent from Redbox and I've only seen bluray. I have to rent 4k movies from my Family Video store.
They're just starting on that. I'm in Los Angeles and a couple of weeks ago there was no '4k' option for any redboxes near me, but this week there is and I can rent 4k or even buy a used 4k from the redbox 2 blocks from me.

Thing is, I'm not sure how worth it is to go through the trouble to play it on my RS57/X700. Besides the obvious--buying a Panny 830, monoprice stripper, loading color profiles, etc., there's also the case that some 4k discs aren't much of a PQ improvement over blu ray (sans the resolution aspect--which is somewhat moot on a 1080p PJ), especially when you can't really tap into that HDR. Plus the fact that Eshift on my RS57 is an annoying noticeable buzz---at least with the 1080p sources I have it is.

And, 4k discs are expensive. Especially since I tend to buy used blu rays at around $4-$6ea.

It leans me to just enjoying blu ray now and maybe jumping to a 4k player with a newer gen JVC a couple of years down the road, where I hope JVC will have auto tonemapping down (frame by frame version) and the 4k discs that have that as a more standard feature. And maybe 4k media will be cheaper.

Last edited by fleaman; 04-20-2019 at 11:06 AM.
post #6350 of 6358 Old 05-01-2019, 09:57 PM
AVS Forum Addicted Member
Industry Insider

Mentioned: 75 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 6392 Post(s)
Liked: 6390
Quote:
Originally Posted by fleaman View Post

And, 4k discs are expensive. Especially since I tend to buy used blu rays at around $4-$6ea.
No such thing as a used disk, unless its skips or something
post #6351 of 6358 Old 05-01-2019, 11:28 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quoted: 202 Post(s)
Liked: 168
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cleveland Plasma View Post
No such thing as a used disk, unless its skips or something
I have bought like 200 some used blu rays.

4K used discs are now available at redbox...
post #6352 of 6358 Old 05-03-2019, 01:47 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Quoted: 2530 Post(s)
Liked: 2808
I have had my JVCX500 since the first batch, been an amazing performer, still is. But I got the upgrade itch and started doing the research and in the end, I decided to go with a 2.4 Purebright screen from Elunevision, get it next month and will give a little write up on how it performs. My current screen is a unity screen so no gain at all, very nice image but I always felt the X500 lacks in the lumens department, even in my velvet cave. Really looking forward to the brightness bump because to me this PJ is still fantastic for everything I watch. I hope the gain will give me a few more years, at least until 4k laser with minimum 40 000:1 on off and under 8grand.

Listening with Focal Elex headphones, Topping DSD Dac, SENCUN-audio tube preamp with tone control and Little Dot hybrid tube amp with GE tubes.

Watching in a room ensconced in velvet.
post #6353 of 6358 Old 05-03-2019, 02:36 PM

Quoted: 137 Post(s)
Liked: 49
Ready to pull the trigger on a used x500r unit.
The owner has changed the first lamp at 500hours and is ready to change the next one at 580.
I know the newer models have better lamp life but is 500-600 hours what I should expect from this range until I replace them?

Any other known issues I should know about?

Furthermore, will I be able to calibrate the unit from its menus? No lumagen or madvr...

Thanks in advance.
post #6354 of 6358 Old 05-03-2019, 02:41 PM

My bulb has close to 2600 hours on it. Its getting some flicker and I should probably change it, but I'm going to be selling it soon, or putting it up for sale atleast, so I'll sell the extra bulb with it as a add-on.

But you should definetly get more than 600 hours out of it, then again it will need to be changed more frequently if its used in High Lamp.
vadergr likes this.
post #6355 of 6358 Old 05-03-2019, 03:39 PM

Quoted: 137 Post(s)
Liked: 49
Quote:
Originally Posted by rcsauvag View Post
My bulb has close to 2600 hours on it. Its getting some flicker and I should probably change it, but I'm going to be selling it soon, or putting it up for sale atleast, so I'll sell the extra bulb with it as a add-on.

But you should definetly get more than 600 hours out of it, then again it will need to be changed more frequently if its used in High Lamp.
Thanks for the prompt reply

If I use 4k HDR tone mapping to 4k SDR, will the signal be accepted from the x500r? Any reason to bother with eshift 3 or should I stick to 1080p?
post #6356 of 6358 Old 05-03-2019, 03:50 PM

Well, HDR is one reason I'm upgrading (and brightness), but I have NOT tried any HDR on it. From what I have read though is that HDR to SDR conversions can look good, but maybe not as good as say 1080p depending on disc, so YMMV.

I have always left my e-shift on. I would say I think it helps, but to be honest I'm not sure I've really compared. Also, my room its in is not ideal. I bought it when I was building my room, but with my day job and I'm not really good at construction the project stalled. Now I'm hiring construction out. IN the meantime I've enjoyed the projector and it can throw a great picture; I was shining it onto a tan wall at about 138".
post #6357 of 6358 Old 05-03-2019, 04:26 PM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 146 Post(s)
Liked: 78
Quote:
Originally Posted by vadergr View Post
Ready to pull the trigger on a used x500r unit.
The owner has changed the first lamp at 500hours and is ready to change the next one at 580.
I know the newer models have better lamp life but is 500-600 hours what I should expect from this range until I replace them?

Any other known issues I should know about?

Furthermore, will I be able to calibrate the unit from its menus? No lumagen or madvr...

Thanks in advance.

I have the JVC 4910 (which I think is basically the same as the X500) and had 3300 hours on my first bulb before changing and currently have about 1800 hours on the second bulb. These aren't like the bulbs of 10 or 15 years ago that dimmed significantly over time. When I installed the second bulb, it wasn't noticeably brighter than the original bulb with all those hours. (They recommend 3000 hours if you use the low light setting and I figured I shouldn't push too far beyond that limit.)

The only issue I've been having is over the last couple of years every 6-12 months I get a green screen when turning it on. The first couple of times, I swapped out the HDMI cable and that seemed to fix it. But I have since discovered the fix is really just unplugging the projector for a few seconds to do a hard reset, which clears the problem. Otherwise I've had 4 1/2 years of trouble-free use.

I've just stuck with HD and haven't played around with 4K at all. When people were first experimenting with 4K, they were reporting about 10% improvement in picture quality and it just didn't seem like a big enough jump to warrant the expense of upgrading all the auxiliary equipment like blu-ray players and the receiver. I've been following all the talk about the new JVC true 4k projectors and I'm starting to toy with the idea of upgrading my system next year when the second iteration of these projectors should be out.
vadergr likes this.
post #6358 of 6358 Old 05-03-2019, 07:05 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 121 Post(s)
Quoted: 4486 Post(s)
Liked: 1679
Quote:
Originally Posted by vadergr View Post
Thanks for the prompt reply

If I use 4k HDR tone mapping to 4k SDR, will the signal be accepted from the x500r? Any reason to bother with eshift 3 or should I stick to 1080p?
I believe the x500R cannot play 4K unless you use an hdcp 2.2 to 1.4 converter. Monoprice sells an inexpensive one, or you can use one of the HDFury devices.

Last edited by Dominic Chan; 05-03-2019 at 07:13 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply Digital Hi-End Projectors - $3,000+ USD MSRP

Tags
Jvc , X500

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page