Official JVC DILA-X500R / RS49U / RS4910U Owners Thread - Page 214 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 
 2146Likes

post #6391 of 6399 Old 10-31-2019, 10:43 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 921 Post(s)
Liked: 636
Quote:
Originally Posted by fleaman View Post
RS57/X700 does. It's the mid-range model of those year models, and what I have (RS57).

I believe the top end model (cherry picked parts) has it too, but even I forgot those model #'s!

BTW, I find it a bummer JVC did away with the auto lens cover on their new 4k models. I assume they'll bring it back in a future model...
I loved it. It saved then money but a great feature
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #6392 of 6399 Old 11-01-2019, 09:42 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 14 Post(s)
Quoted: 458 Post(s)
Liked: 172
Quote:

BTW, I find it a bummer JVC did away with the auto lens cover on their new 4k models. I assume they'll bring it back in a future model...

Yes, but that feature was almost pointless. The whole lens except the glass was already protected by the black rubber around it. Sure, some dust on the glass may seem like a big deal for such an expensive projector, but practically speaking it doesn’t affect image quality. The whole motorized cover system was too much compared to the effort of cleaning the front glass once or twice a year. Plus, it’s one less possibility of a malfunction that would have nothing to do with the normal functioning of the projector and yet would stop it from turning on. Not to mention there was something ridiculous about the noise it did when opening and closing.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
DavidHir likes this.

4,3 x 2,8m semi-blacked out media room | 2010 MacMini > Pioneer VSX-520-K > JVC RS50 (X7) > 107", 1.1 gain, white screen | Planar PD7150
post #6393 of 6399 Old 11-02-2019, 12:26 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quoted: 252 Post(s)
Liked: 176
Quote:
Originally Posted by descalabro View Post
Yes, but that feature was almost pointless. The whole lens except the glass was already protected by the black rubber around it. Sure, some dust on the glass may seem like a big deal for such an expensive projector, but practically speaking it doesn’t affect image quality. The whole motorized cover system was too much compared to the effort of cleaning the front glass once or twice a year. Plus, it’s one less possibility of a malfunction that would have nothing to do with the normal functioning of the projector and yet would stop it from turning on. Not to mention there was something ridiculous about the noise it did when opening and closing.

Without auto lens cover,
Yes, more dust on lens
Spiders creating their own viewing webs across the lens
The 'film' that accumulates.

I haven't had to clean/touch my lens in since i got my RS57 used over 2.5 years ago.
No more spider webs
No film
Essentially no dust.

Yes it is noisy. I don't get why they couldn't figure that out, very strange.
> Possible malfunction?: I believe there's a manual override FWIR
Plus, you can also set the cover to always open by turning the off the auto cover in the menu--if you don't like the auto cover feature.

That being said, I've yet to see 1 post about a malfunctioning cover. I've read every post in the RS57/X700 thread and don't recall any cover issues there---other than the noise, which obviously is only during cover opening/closing.

So, "Pointless"? I really don't think so.

The less one has to touch the lens, the better. And with an auto cover, it reduces that need greatly IMO. An of course these JVC's are almost exclusively ceiling mounted, which makes getting to them more difficult. Especially if one puts the lens cap on after use (X500 models, etc).

Last edited by fleaman; 11-02-2019 at 12:29 PM. Reason: typo
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #6394 of 6399 Old 11-02-2019, 08:47 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Without auto lens cover,

Yes, more dust on lens

Spiders creating their own viewing webs across the lens

The 'film' that accumulates.

I haven't had to clean/touch my lens in since i got my RS57 used over 2.5 years ago.

No more spider webs

No film

Essentially no dust.

Yes it is noisy. I don't get why they couldn't figure that out, very strange.

> Possible malfunction?: I believe there's a manual override FWIR

Plus, you can also set the cover to always open by turning the off the auto cover in the menu--if you don't like the auto cover feature.

That being said, I've yet to see 1 post about a malfunctioning cover. I've read every post in the RS57/X700 thread and don't recall any cover issues there---other than the noise, which obviously is only during cover opening/closing.

So, "Pointless"? I really don't think so.

The less one has to touch the lens, the better. And with an auto cover, it reduces that need greatly IMO. An of course these JVC's are almost exclusively ceiling mounted, which makes getting to them more difficult. Especially if one puts the lens cap on after use (X500 models, etc).

I do understand your point, and I do use the lens cover on my projector; it’s already there, so why not?

But for the lens cover alone there is 1 motor, 2 sensors and 1 circuit. From the manufacturing point of view, and considering dust on the lens does not actually affect performance, it is a pointless feature. Cleaning dust from a lens is a simple matter of using a soft brush, no need to touch it; besides, lenses are not at all that fragile. If dust is such a problem and the projector isn’t easy to access because it’s ceiling mounted, then it would make much more sense to have some automatic feature to clean or replace the air filter on the bottom of the projector. I understand you have a problem with spider webs, but that’s not such a common issue that would justify them continuing to include the lens door. I hope I’m not misunderstood here, I’m not criticizing the fact that you enjoy having a lens cover, I’m just arguing that it’s not a very justifiable feature to include from the point of view of manufacturing. About the noise, we’ll, people say JVC projectors are built like thanks, but unfortunately they’re designed like tanks too... so, noisy lens door, limited remote control angle, no power off switch, etc.

4,3 x 2,8m semi-blacked out media room | 2010 MacMini > Pioneer VSX-520-K > JVC RS50 (X7) > 107", 1.1 gain, white screen | Planar PD7150
post #6395 of 6399 Old 11-03-2019, 11:58 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

I have lens cleaning kits...brushes, hand air puffers, etc. But even using those, it doesn't clean it completely.

With lens cover, the need for them is less and the accumulation of lens 'stuff' is less = less times I need to really clean the lens and touch the lens.

W/O lens cover, it's more maintenance and more time touch the lens. It's just a fact. I don't think I'm in an overly dusty environment, but every room has dust and 'stuff' and spiders and over time, it will get on or over the lens. With a lens cover, I've noticed that 'stuff' is greatly reduced vs my previous PJ w/o lens cover.

Sure the cover adds some cost, but we're not talking high tech stuff here. What are we talking about in parts, a couple of bucks? R&D isn't really needed for this, plus, they already had them before.

Cameras, binoculars, telescopes, ...they all have lens covers. For a high end PJ with high end optics, a auto lens cover makes sense to me and I see the difference--that it works.
post #6396 of 6399 Old 11-03-2019, 03:02 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
I have lens cleaning kits...brushes, hand air puffers, etc. But even using those, it doesn't clean it completely.

With lens cover, the need for them is less and the accumulation of lens 'stuff' is less = less times I need to really clean the lens and touch the lens.

W/O lens cover, it's more maintenance and more time touch the lens. It's just a fact. I don't think I'm in an overly dusty environment, but every room has dust and 'stuff' and spiders and over time, it will get on or over the lens. With a lens cover, I've noticed that 'stuff' is greatly reduced vs my previous PJ w/o lens cover.

Sure the cover adds some cost, but we're not talking high tech stuff here. What are we talking about in parts, a couple of bucks? R&D isn't really needed for this, plus, they already had them before.

Cameras, binoculars, telescopes, ...they all have lens covers. For a high end PJ with high end optics, a auto lens cover makes sense to me and I see the difference--that it works.
Yes, I understand your point. It's a high-end product and you don't want it to cheap out on a high-end feature that was useful to you. By the way, if you want to get a lens completely clean, all you need is 100% cotton swabs, distilled water and a clean towel. This technique works like a charm:

post #6397 of 6399 Old 11-04-2019, 02:19 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Yes, I understand your point. It's a high-end product and you don't want it to cheap out on a high-end feature that was useful to you. By the way, if you want to get a lens completely clean, all you need is 100% cotton swabs, distilled water and a clean towel. This technique works like a charm:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dBTb1l0jLIw
Nice.

I also noticed in this one they mention the advice of always using lens caps regardless of environment, and how more frequent lens cleanings can shorten the life of your lens, so, use a lens cap!

post #6398 of 6399 Old 11-04-2019, 02:44 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Nice.

I also noticed in this one they mention the advice of always using lens caps regardless of environment, and how more frequent lens cleanings can shorten the life of your lens, so, use a lens cap!
Yeah, but he's talking about photo camera lenses, which can go everywhere and frequently need cleaning, so it's understandable he would mention tips to avoid shortening their life. On the case of projectors, this isn't something to worry about at all. As for the actual cleaning, I still prefer the swabs and distilled water approach; can't get cheaper, safer and more effective than that.

post #6399 of 6399 Old 11-04-2019, 02:49 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Yeah, but he's talking about photo camera lenses, which can go everywhere and frequently need cleaning, so it's understandable he would mention tips to avoid shortening their life. On the case of projectors, this isn't something to worry about at all. As for the actual cleaning, I still prefer the swabs and distilled water approach; can't get cheaper, safer and more effective than that.
Of course.

But a lens cap reduces stuff on a PJ lens that would normally be open to a room for a year(s). Even static electricity will draw stuff to the lens. Let it sit their for a year and it starts to 'stick', especially as the lens surface gets hot from the lamp, etc.

Bottom line is I don't have to clean my lens when lens caps (auto or otherwise) are used. With no caps, over time, stuff being cooked onto lens...air puffers/lens brushes won't get the job done.

I just don't find the auto lens cover on my JVC pointless at all
descalabro likes this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply Digital Hi-End Projectors - $3,000+ USD MSRP

Tags
Jvc , X500

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page