Official JVC DLA-X700R / RS57U Owners Thread - Page 2 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 
 35Likes

post #31 of 2265 Old 12-26-2013, 03:04 PM
AVS Forum Addicted Member

Mentioned: 153 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 5168 Post(s)
Liked: 5399
Quote:
Originally Posted by DennisBP View Post

Good news - the picture is terrific. I am coming from an RS40 (now for sale). The great news is that the convergence is perfect!. I can't see even a quarter pixel anywhere (center and all corners). The not so good news is that I am only getting 575 Measured ANSI Lumens (9 point measurement). I was getting 680 from my RS40 when I measured it after 19 hours.

I have a Lumagen 2021 and will be doing some basic calibration in the morning (Chromapure) though I know I'll have to repeat it as the bulb settles in. I'm curious about the color saturation - my RS40 was under saturated on every picture setting on 3 colors, though less than 5% on each.

More in the morning - I am going to enjoy it tonight!

Hi, is that low lamp, iris open? How far is the projector from the screen?

please keep us posted on what mode has the closest measurements to baseline. I expect it will need a greyscale cal, but curious if any default settings actually measure a clean 2.2 / R709 + decent saturation tracking.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #32 of 2265 Old 12-26-2013, 03:08 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 128 Post(s)
Liked: 96
Quote:
Originally Posted by krichter1 View Post

Maybe not the first AVSr this time but close enough (Japan doesn't count since Cischico drove down the street to pick his up! tongue.gif)

Time to crack it open and start the necessary warming process!! smile.gif

Beat ya Rich!

I ordered mine from AV Science. The Japanese stuff I dont buy, my girl gets those. I may have gotten mine first but I never actually opened the actual box.

The honors goes to you Krichter for popping the cherry, unless anyone else can prove otherwise.

ALSO HURRY UP WITH FIRST IMPRESSIONS. I'M DYING OVER HERE.

I'm so overwhelmed right now I dont know what to do with myself. I dont know how zombie has the time.
krichter1 likes this.
post #33 of 2265 Old 12-26-2013, 03:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cischico View Post

I'm so overwhelmed right now I dont know what to do with myself. I dont know how zombie has the time.

here is some good advice.... biggrin.gifcool.gif

keep-calm.PNG
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #34 of 2265 Old 12-26-2013, 03:26 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by zombie10k View Post

here is some good advice.... biggrin.gifcool.gif

keep-calm.PNG

lol very good advice indeed
post #35 of 2265 Old 12-26-2013, 04:31 PM
wse
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Quoted: 2207 Post(s)
Liked: 814
Quote:

My RS57 is installed. Very scary moment. I set it up on a table first. Everything looked good. I mounted it on the ceiling and adjusted the focus, zoom and shift. I couldn't get an image from either hdmi1 or hdmi2. It just showed "No input". I tried 4 different cables and 4 different sources, but no change. I turned it off and back on and no change. Only when I unplugged it and plugged it back in did it start working properly. I hope this doesn't happen to anybody else, but if so, you'll know what to do and not waste an hour trying to figure what went wrong.

Good news - the picture is terrific. I am coming from an RS40 (now for sale). The great news is that the convergence is perfect!. I can't see even a quarter pixel anywhere (center and all corners). The not so good news is that I am only getting 575 Measured ANSI Lumens (9 point measurement). I was getting 680 from my RS40 when I measured it after 19 hours.

I have a Lumagen 2021 and will be doing some basic calibration in the morning (Chromapure) though I know I'll have to repeat it as the bulb settles in. I'm curious about the color saturation - my RS40 was under saturated on every picture setting on 3 colors, though less than 5% on each.

More in the morning - I am going to enjoy it tonight!

Nice enjoy, was it worth the upgrade? Also the lumen seems very very low!
post #36 of 2265 Old 12-26-2013, 04:48 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 14 Post(s)
Quoted: 2089 Post(s)
Liked: 2354
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tom Bley View Post

Naperville, eh? Would you ever consider giving a demo? What is the size and type of screen? I'm going to use an AT screen.

Sure. Just send me your info on PM and we'll work something out. smile.gif

Just finished the power cord run and mounting (yes I gave it a quick dry hump before hanging it Mark! tongue.gif)

Time to fire this bad boy up… wish me luck! smile.gif

Kevin

You only live once, but if you live it right, once is enough.
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

==> Our 4K/3D Immersive Theater
post #37 of 2265 Old 12-26-2013, 05:03 PM

Mentioned: 16 Post(s)
Quoted: 2747 Post(s)
Liked: 2648
It would be great if someone experienced (I'm looking at you Zombie, Manni, Jonstatt etc) with the JVCs could post some "do's and dont's" for setting up a new JVC projector.
E.g.: How to check convergence, what picture settings to check or change, etc.

(I'm even trying to remember how to check convergence, since it's been so long. I can't remember if I have to do into the service menu to do so on my RS55, and whether that would be different from models since then).
post #38 of 2265 Old 12-26-2013, 05:17 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by R Harkness View Post

It would be great if someone experienced (I'm looking at you Zombie, Manni, Jonstatt etc) with the JVCs could post some "do's and dont's" for setting up a new JVC projector.

(I'm even trying to remember how to check convergence, since it's been so long. I can't remember if I have to do into the service menu to do so on my RS55, and whether that would be different from models since then).

Just sent you a PM...

Kevin

post #39 of 2265 Old 12-26-2013, 05:19 PM

do you have the lumagen set up yet? it has the single pixel pattern test built in that is also on the free AVS calibration disk:

https://www.avsforum.com/t/948496/avs-hd-709-blu-ray-mp4-calibration

you can also look at the RGB test in the service menu but these can be a little deceiving due to flair. For this test, I run low lamp and shut down the iris a bit which can give you a better idea of the alignment.

be warned if you haven't seen the single pixel test, it can never be perfect on a 3 panel projector. I end convergence tests with looking at a PC desktop. Small black on white and white on black fonts, different color menus, etc. These are all areas that stand out when the convergence is off. If it looks clean here after correcting, it's going to be fine with video content.
post #40 of 2265 Old 12-26-2013, 05:20 PM
wse
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:

It would be great if someone experienced (I'm looking at you Zombie, Manni, Jonstatt etc) with the JVCs could post some "do's and dont's" for setting up a new JVC projector. E.g.: How to check convergence, what picture settings to check or change, etc.. (I'm even trying to remember how to check convergence, since it's been so long. I can't remember if I have to do into the service menu to do so on my RS55, and whether that would be different from models since then).

Yes that would be so nice!
post #41 of 2265 Old 12-26-2013, 05:38 PM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 87 Post(s)
Liked: 54
Quote:

I'd be curious and grateful for this as well

My theater build : Roll-In Reels Cinema (7.2.4 atmos theater)
post #42 of 2265 Old 12-26-2013, 05:52 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quoted: 482 Post(s)
Liked: 282
Quote:

Geof & Jon provided me a comprehensive checklist to go thru in the first 3.99999999999 hours on the lamp to determine if it stays or if it goes (back), so my priority is that first (i.e. - uniformity (both white/grey fld), convergence, light corners, aperture testing etc…)

Could you share that "check list"? The RS57U will be my first PJ and I am not sure what to look for...

Thanks!
post #43 of 2265 Old 12-26-2013, 06:02 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 27 Post(s)
Liked: 14
So I posted this over in the denon A1hdci processor thread, but figured I'd try here since this is e actual Jvc thread. I hooked up my rs57 after letting it warm up from the cold journey. Had it working just fine with my ps4, then turned my ps3 on and then switched inputs on the processor to my ps3. At which point I got a pink/Magenta screen flash and then nothing ie black screen. Couldn't pull up the Jvc menu with the remote or anything ie meaning the Jvc wasn't getting a input signal from the processor. So while still on the ps3 input with the processor I rebooted the ps3, this time I see the ps3 boot up displayed thru the Jvc and the ps3 home screen comes up. Everything seems fine until I attempt to play a disc ( dvd or blu ray I tried several of each) and the same pink/Magenta image appears and then nothingness again. It seems like a HDMI handshaking issue. My rs46 worked perfectly fine with my ps3 and Ps4.

Has anyone else attempted to use a ps3 with the Jvc?
post #44 of 2265 Old 12-26-2013, 06:10 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by sk576c View Post

So I posted this over in the denon A1hdci processor thread, but figured I'd try here since this is e actual Jvc thread. I hooked up my rs57 after letting it warm up from the cold journey. Had it working just fine with my ps4, then turned my ps3 on and then switched inputs on the processor to my ps3. At which point I got a pink/Magenta screen flash and then nothing ie black screen. Couldn't pull up the Jvc menu with the remote or anything ie meaning the Jvc wasn't getting a input signal from the processor. So while still on the ps3 input with the processor I rebooted the ps3, this time I see the ps3 boot up displayed thru the Jvc and the ps3 home screen comes up. Everything seems fine until I attempt to play a disc ( dvd or blu ray I tried several of each) and the same pink/Magenta image appears and then nothingness again. It seems like a HDMI handshaking issue. My rs46 worked perfectly fine with my ps3 and Ps4.

Which PS3 version are you using?

So essentially all you see is the PS3 bootup logo and then the magenta flash?
post #45 of 2265 Old 12-26-2013, 06:14 PM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Yes that checklist would be much appreciated, ad I am about to hook mine up also. Many thanks
post #46 of 2265 Old 12-26-2013, 06:16 PM

Quote:

I wonder if it's a similar issue to the one posted by DennisBP:
Quote:

My RS57 is installed. Very scary moment. I set it up on a table first. Everything looked good. I mounted it on the ceiling and adjusted the focus, zoom and shift. I couldn't get an image from either hdmi1 or hdmi2. It just showed "No input". I tried 4 different cables and 4 different sources, but no change. I turned it off and back on and no change. Only when I unplugged it and plugged it back in did it start working properly. I hope this doesn't happen to anybody else, but if so, you'll know what to do and not waste an hour trying to figure what went wrong.

I hope this trend doesn't continue for owners.
post #47 of 2265 Old 12-26-2013, 06:22 PM

Quoted: 27 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by cischico View Post

Which PS3 version are you using?

So essentially all you see is the PS3 bootup logo and then the magenta flash?

Its a ps3 Slim, 2012 version I believe.

When I switch the ps3 off then back on I boots up normally. It when I try to play a disc I get the magenta flash and then no image displayed. I actually just turned the the ps3 off and now when I switch to different inputs with the processor they all show similar to this picture attached(with no input device turned on just my denon processor) the background should be black with denon in white. If I switch to my ps4 input or my xbox 1 input they work fine.

Edit: just attempted to play a blu ray in my Ps4 and same thing happened. Screen flashed magenta and then nothing. So ummm has anyone played a blu ray through any device and had it work haha.

And where on earth is the lens aperture control or the DI for that matter?
post #48 of 2265 Old 12-26-2013, 06:26 PM

Quote:

The manual says you access the DI (Intelligent Lens Aperture) via the "Lens Ap" button on the upper right of the remote. Which should call up a screen offering settings like "Auto 1, Auto 2, Manual"
(Auto 1 engaging the DI, Auto 2 supposedly engaging the DI along with auto gamma adjustments)
post #49 of 2265 Old 12-26-2013, 06:35 PM

Quoted: 76 Post(s)
Quote:

Just sent you a PM...

Mind sending me that info too...

Thanks

JVC DLA-X790 (135" tab-tension motorized screen), 65" UN65NU8000, 60" UN6300KU6290, 55" UN50HU8550
post #50 of 2265 Old 12-26-2013, 08:13 PM
wse
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:

Its a ps3 Slim, 2012 version I believe.

When I switch the ps3 off then back on I boots up normally. It when I try to play a disc I get the magenta flash and then no image displayed. I actually just turned the the ps3 off and now when I switch to different inputs with the processor they all show similar to this picture attached(with no input device turned on just my denon processor) the background should be black with denon in white. If I switch to my ps4 input or my xbox 1 input they work fine.

Edit: just attempted to play a blu ray in my Ps4 and same thing happened. Screen flashed magenta and then nothing. So ummm has anyone played a blu ray through any device and had it work haha.

This looks like an HDMi handshake issue!
post #51 of 2265 Old 12-26-2013, 08:15 PM
wse
AVS Forum Special Member

I would also greatly appreciate a list for proper set-up! after how many hours should I get it calibrated?
post #52 of 2265 Old 12-26-2013, 08:47 PM
Home Theater Enthusiast

Mentioned: 117 Post(s)
Quoted: 1238 Post(s)
Liked: 1789
Quote:
Originally Posted by wse View Post

I would also greatly appreciate a list for proper set-up! after how many hours should I get it calibrated?

About 100.

Wisconsin Home Theater Enthusiasts Meet: Main Thread l Gear For Sale
SOWK Home Theater
post #53 of 2265 Old 12-26-2013, 10:55 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Okay… here ya go… I'm sure Geof & Jon won't mind with what they helped put together for a quick checklist (below).

My unit appears to be solid… good convergence & uniformity with only a slight brightening of the corners in hide mode (white paper test). I was left after my 3 hour testing as though the lamp does seem? to underperforming but as you'll see in my quick profile readings I am getting about 12ftL in Low and ~15ftL in High lamp mode. However this is with a wide open aperture and when I clamp down to just -3 I am only getting about 8ftL (which as I seem to remember from my 55 is on the low side).

After a quick 125pt calibration using USER1/Low/D65/2.3 gamma, the picture looks a little washed out because I was having an issue dialing in 16 & 235 and getting it set correctly so more testing will be needed tomorrow (not sure what the issue is but I do see there is an "Auto" setting for Input level so I think that could be screwing up the calibration results).

Looks to me like the color profiles will be usable this year from what I see but input from our pros here would be welcome (again keep in mind these were just quick readings as I only had 3 hours to decided whether or not I'd be keeping it (which I am, I'm happy to say).

The fan is definitely quieter in Low Mode but possibly louder in High Mode (BUT… a much lower pitch so not as "whiney" if you know what I mean).

I did have an initial lip sync issue while watching some BD material but then it cleared up replaying the same scene (weird). No there handshake issues though; even after forcing rez changes on my Denon 5308ci & Lumagen mini.

After spending some time watching TDK Returns (one of my fav black scenes is at about the 20min mark where the cops are combing thru the sewers and the Cat woman (Ann Hathoway), is in that bar. I'm not sure I can explain what I was seeing as to whether it's good or bad because the blacks are so inky black I can't tell if I love it or if the potential underperforming bulb and possibly crushing blacks has anything to do with it (again more time is needed with viewing & calibration so take all this with a grain…).

I'm going to say at this point I think I very much like what I see… but it is different from my RS55 (much, much blacker and very, very crisp… almost overly cooked at times but I have to play with the MPC settings more to know for sure). There is however a scene in TDKR (this is for Rich!), where just before going in the sewers Commisioner Gorden is holding a flashlight and as he turns toward the camera the light cut thru my cornea's light a hot knife thru butter so that's why I say I'm not just sure if there really is anything wrong with the bulb… it could just be the blacks are so black the picture just seemed a bit too dark to me at this point (IDK).

Initial CP readings (using only my iPhone as my Panny camera batt crapped out… sorry fellas!), and CP calibration report to follow…

Initial checkpoints from Jonathan to consider during your evaluation:

1) Convergence (evaluate ONLY after at least 30 minutes, and preferably 1 hour). Make sure you check carefully in all 4 corners after optimising the centre. Try if possible to replicate its actual usage position. i.e. if it is upside down on a ceiling evaluate it like that with the same lens shift if possible. SWITCH E-SHIFT OFF before evaluating convergence or focus. This is done by pressing the MPC button and setting it to off.
2) Focus uniformity. Once again evaluate at the same throw and lens shift as your final position if possible. Optimise centre focus and then check the boundaries (not just the 4 corners but the outside edges). If you are at short throw you WILL have variances…this is unavoidable
3) White/grey field uniformity. Once warmed up for at least 30 minutes, use the built-in test patterns and display the all grey and all white test screens. Check for greenish, reddish or bluish corners. Scan your eye quickly from top left to top right or from centre to top right etc to evaluate. Some variation is normal but it should not be severe
4) Light corners. This is an easy once to test for. I have found though, that one of my projectors got better with age. The current one has no light corners at all. If it is slight don’t worry about it.
5) Do a test run in calibration to see what you are starting out with. This is less about calibrating it now (as it will change in early hours) and more about seeing your starting point. Is the CMS outside the rec 709 triangle. Is the gamma within .1 or so of 2.2
6) Go to max lumens possible by using a user preset. Set the colour profile to OFF. Set bulb to high with aperture fully open. Display built-in test pattern for white screen. Take a lux reading and convert to lumens (if you need help with this let me know). Hopefully you should be somewhere near 1300
7) Evaluate correct aperture position (manual mode) by using the white test pattern on the lumagen (NOT the built-in test pattern in the projector) and correctly set it to 12-14 ftL. I don’t know how you do that on your light meter. On mine, I use a camera meter which has a spot function with viewfinder and I literally point it like a gun at the screen and take a ftL reading. This will then give you your baseline peak brightness position. Then enable auto aperture and evaluate against manual fixed.
8) Switch e-shift off and on and determine if you can hear an annoying whine or change of sound which you cannot accept. Evaluate e-shift on with white text on black or grey such as the built in menus, and see if it distorts the white text in some way like e-shift 2 does (but not e-shift 1)
9) Test all features possible. Validate 3D with glasses. Check both front and rear IR ports. Check all motors (such as lens shift, focus, zoom). Check insert filter such as used in Film or Cinema modes (audible snap sound). Go from high bulb to low and low to high and validate stability/bulb flicker.

Other thoughts from Geof…

Setup the i1D3 on a tripod and have it and the Lumagen Mini connected to your computer and ready to roll. It would be good if you can verify everything is talking and ready to go (Don’t want to be troubleshooting this when the clock is running).

Install your RS57, get it properly aimed on the screen, focus and zoom all setup, and then set contrast and brightness.
CRITICAL: Make sure you reset the Lumagen CMS memory…..all gamut and grayscale values must be zero’d out…..

Measure lux levels with a wide open aperture and again with your chosen iris setting that yields 12-15 ftL. (You may want to look at high lamp as well to ensure all is well).

For the next few minutes play with it or watch something….no tests to do until it warms up a bit, but don’t get caught up too much.

After 30 minutes or so it’s time to take a look at uniformity, focus uniformity (if you did not look at this when setting it up), and bright corners.

Next up look at the gamuts of the various color profiles. The Chromapure Color Management module works quite well for this and it is fast. If necessary you may wish to try using the internal JVC CMS to see if any out of spec condition can be corrected/minimized. I would not spend too much time here just yet…

Look at convergence. You know what to look for here….
What is your initial take? You’ll likely have to accept some gamut limitations (if they exist and are not horrible) and convergence is good.

Kevin

post #54 of 2265 Old 12-26-2013, 11:08 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quoted: 205 Post(s)
Liked: 177
What size and gain screen are you using? I'm worried with you only getting 12ftL on low and 15 ftL on high with iris wide open and new bulb.

Mike

JVC RS600(Fantastically calibrated by ChadB), Stewart Cima Neve 2.35 115" diagonal screen, Darbee Darblet, Denon AVR-X7200WA(7.6.4), M&K Speakers, 6 ported 18" subs powered by 3 inuke 6000dsps, 2 Behringer B1200D Mid Bass Modules, Buttkicker transducer, Oppo BDP-93 blu-ray player
post #55 of 2265 Old 12-26-2013, 11:08 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Okay… first initial tests of uniformity (pass!), and convergence (pass!) and finally bright corners (still there… kind of... but better than my RS55)…

Kevin

post #56 of 2265 Old 12-26-2013, 11:10 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by mbw23air View Post

What size and gain screen are you using? I'm worried with you only getting 12ftL on low and 15 ftL on high with iris wide open and new bulb.

Mike

110" Seymour AT (.89).

Kevin

post #57 of 2265 Old 12-26-2013, 11:12 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 560 Post(s)
Liked: 199
Wow! Most of that is way over my head. Any advise for somebody that is just going to use the projector with no external device like a Lumagen? It's just going to be from the HDMI out on my Yamaha RX-Z11 and fed blu-rays from my Sony 5000ES for the most part. All I've ever done on my Mits HC4000 is to put it in cinema mode and focus. Is it not possible to have a JVC and not do major tweaks to have a good experience?

JVC X750R Projector,Yamaha CX-A5200 Pre-Pro, Yamaha RX-Z11 Receiver, (Amps Only) Yamaha MX-D1 Power Amps x 2, Yamaha RX-Z1 (L&R Surround Channel Amp), Oppo BDP-103D BR, Panasonic DP-UB820 UHD, Pioneer Elite CLD-99 LD, Definitive Tech BP7000SC Mains, CLR3000 Center, BPVX Surround Sides&Backs, BPX F&R Presence, Martin Logan Abyss Front L&R Subs/Dynamo L&R Rear Surround Channel Subs, Infinity SSW-210 Center Channel Sub.
post #58 of 2265 Old 12-26-2013, 11:16 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by StevenC56 View Post

Wow! Most of that is way over my head. Any advise for somebody that is just going to use the projector with no external device like a Lumagen? It's just going to be from the HDMI out on my Yamaha RX-Z11 and fed blu-rays from my Sony 5000ES for the most part. All I've ever done on my Mits HC4000 is to put it in cinema mode and focus. Is it not possible to have a JVC and not do major tweaks to have a good experience?

Oh of course Steve… start with THX mode and tweak from there (it looked good to me!). wink.gif

This stuff is just for us anal geeks. tongue.gif

Kevin

post #59 of 2265 Old 12-26-2013, 11:17 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quoted: 205 Post(s)
Liked: 177
Quote:

110" Seymour AT (.89).

Not too big but even with the low gain I would think it would be a little brighter. I'm coming from a RS40 to a X700R on a 105" 2.35 1.2 gain screen so since it's using the bulb in last years projectors they should hold their brightness for a while before dimming.

Thanks,
Mike

JVC RS600(Fantastically calibrated by ChadB), Stewart Cima Neve 2.35 115" diagonal screen, Darbee Darblet, Denon AVR-X7200WA(7.6.4), M&K Speakers, 6 ported 18" subs powered by 3 inuke 6000dsps, 2 Behringer B1200D Mid Bass Modules, Buttkicker transducer, Oppo BDP-93 blu-ray player
post #60 of 2265 Old 12-26-2013, 11:18 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 560 Post(s)
Liked: 199
Quote:

Oh of course Steve… start with THX mode and tweak from there (it looked good to me!). wink.gif

This stuff is just for us anal geeks. tongue.gif

Except that I'm only able to afford the X500R-So no THX mode.mad.gif

JVC X750R Projector,Yamaha CX-A5200 Pre-Pro, Yamaha RX-Z11 Receiver, (Amps Only) Yamaha MX-D1 Power Amps x 2, Yamaha RX-Z1 (L&R Surround Channel Amp), Oppo BDP-103D BR, Panasonic DP-UB820 UHD, Pioneer Elite CLD-99 LD, Definitive Tech BP7000SC Mains, CLR3000 Center, BPVX Surround Sides&Backs, BPX F&R Presence, Martin Logan Abyss Front L&R Subs/Dynamo L&R Rear Surround Channel Subs, Infinity SSW-210 Center Channel Sub.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply Digital Hi-End Projectors - $3,000+ USD MSRP

Tags
Jvc Dla X700r

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page