Official JVC DLA-X700R / RS57U Owners Thread - Page 76 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 
 35Likes

post #2251 of 2265 Old 11-03-2018, 05:19 PM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 148 Post(s)
Liked: 48
Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnLew View Post
After replacing it did it work fine? I'm considering replacing the ballast myself, would like to get a couple more years out of this PJ and then upgrade.

Thanks.

-jl

It’s still working fine - the ballast was replaced close to 3 years ago.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

JVC RS640; RUIPRO 10m HDMI cable; Marantz AV7704; Lumagen Pro 4240; Oppo BDP-203;Triad Silver LCR, Onwall Bronze Surround, Inwall Bronze Omni, KEF Inceiling Ci 160QR x 4; Dual RSS460HO-4 18" SWs
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2252 of 2265 Old 11-16-2018, 09:57 AM

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked: 11
JVC RS57U Ballast Replacement Issue

So I had the flashing lights indicating a likely ballast failure on my RS57U. 4-5 years old but very light usage.

Decided to replace it myself, ordered a new ballast, took apart the PJ last night, installed the new ballast. Let the unit sit overnight and turned it on today, the ballast issue seems to be solved - the unit powers up, stays on without automatically shutting down, light from the iris, etc. Seems to be operating normally but...

There is no picture being projected! I can see the light in the iris and if I put something close to the lens then I see light being reflected off it, but there is nothing being projected out to the screen.

Before I take it apart again to go back through the connections and make sure I fully seated everything, etc., does anyone have any ideas on what specifically could be causing this? Up until I had the ballast failure everything worked fine. I tried a new lamp, just in case, but no joy there either.

Thanks.
post #2253 of 2265 Old 11-17-2018, 07:49 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 313 Post(s)
Liked: 166
Did you try both hdmi inputs with a source playing?

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

Chad B calibrated JVC RS600, 112" 2.35 DaLite 2.8 High Power Screen (395 calibrated nits baby!!), 7.5.4 Marantz AV7702, Aerial Acoustics Model 6, Model 5, CC3, Def Tech UIWBP/A, 4-15" Infinite Baffle Sub + 15" Velodyne Sub Near-field, OPPO 203, Geek Pulse DAC, NVidia Shield
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2254 of 2265 Old 11-18-2018, 08:33 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Have you disengaged the external inertial dampener?

Chad B calibrated JVC RS600, 112" 2.35 DaLite 2.8 High Power Screen (395 calibrated nits baby!!), 7.5.4 Marantz AV7702, Aerial Acoustics Model 6, Model 5, CC3, Def Tech UIWBP/A, 4-15" Infinite Baffle Sub + 15" Velodyne Sub Near-field, OPPO 203, Geek Pulse DAC, NVidia Shield
post #2255 of 2265 Old 11-20-2018, 05:44 PM

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked: 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by edfowler View Post
Have you disengaged the external inertial dampener?

Love it

Got it sorted out. There is a connector on the underside of the third board you remove while replacing the ballast. It's not as apparent as the others. Forgot to connect it when reassembling.

Got it reconnected and everything seems to be working fine now.
post #2256 of 2265 Old 11-20-2018, 05:57 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Glad you got it sorted out. I would not want you to think that I was not taking the simulation, I mean situation, seriously.

post #2257 of 2265 Old 01-28-2019, 07:38 AM

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 141 Post(s)
Liked: 69
May I ask if anyone has a preferred source for high quality reasonably priced replacement lamps?

Yesterday I installed a PK-L2312UP lamp assembly with a Ushio bulb from Projector Lamp Source. Their website says, “Genuine Original Lamp with Housing”. It cost about $205, fit perfectly and the picture looks great, much brighter.

If you read between the lines, I think they are stating the assembly has the original Ushio bulb but is not necessarily an OEM housing/assembly. Is there any reason not to use this type of replacement lamp?

Thanks,
John

Audio: Classé SSP-800 Pre-Pro, Classé CA-5300 Amp, Pro-Ject Debut Carbon, Mytek Brooklyn DAC, Roon, Tidal, MQA Usher Audio CP-8571 LR, BE-616 C, S520 S, SVS SB16 Ultra X 2
Video: JVC DLA RS-6710 Projector, Oppo BDP-105D, Roku Ultra, DirecTV Genie,
Other: APC H15 Power Conditioner, Dedicated 20 Amp 10 Ga Romex Circuit, eero Pro WiFi System with Actiontec Bonded MoCA Ethernet
post #2258 of 2265 Old 04-11-2019, 06:41 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Problems connecting to Sony UBP-X700

I just got a new Sony UBP-X700 4K Ultra HD Blu-ray player. It works fine with my LG UHD TV, but when I tried connecting it to my RS57 with the output resolution set to Auto, the image on the screen blacks out and comes back every few seconds.

When I first turn on the player the screen displays "HDMI1 4K/2K" in the upper right corner, so the RS57 seems to detect a 4K signal, but then the black outs start. If I force the player to output 1080P the black outs stop.

If I try playing a 4K disc with Auto resolution, the player displays this message:

For optimal picture quality, connect
your 4K Ultra HD Blu-ray player to a
television that supports 4K Ultra HD
with High Dynamic Range.

So it does not seem to recognize the RS57 as supporting 4K. Then it switches the output to 1080P and the movie plays fine.

I tried two different HDMI cables which are supposed to support 4K and which work fine with my TV, but the problem occurs with both cables.

Has anyone encountered a problem like this?

John S
post #2259 of 2265 Old 05-14-2019, 06:15 PM

Quoted: 19 Post(s)
Liked: 3
Quote:
Originally Posted by jschefdog View Post
I just got a new Sony UBP-X700 4K Ultra HD Blu-ray player. It works fine with my LG UHD TV, but when I tried connecting it to my RS57 with the output resolution set to Auto, the image on the screen blacks out and comes back every few seconds.

When I first turn on the player the screen displays "HDMI1 4K/2K" in the upper right corner, so the RS57 seems to detect a 4K signal, but then the black outs start. If I force the player to output 1080P the black outs stop.

If I try playing a 4K disc with Auto resolution, the player displays this message:

For optimal picture quality, connect
your 4K Ultra HD Blu-ray player to a
television that supports 4K Ultra HD
with High Dynamic Range.

So it does not seem to recognize the RS57 as supporting 4K. Then it switches the output to 1080P and the movie plays fine.

I tried two different HDMI cables which are supposed to support 4K and which work fine with my TV, but the problem occurs with both cables.

Has anyone encountered a problem like this?
This happens because RS57 does not support HDCP 2.2. It is possible to send 4K resolution to the projector, but 4K content, which is protected with HDCP 2.2, will not play due to copy protection.

You need something like an HDfury Linker to play 4K content, and even then you'll need to use 4K SDR, because RS57 does not support HDR.

Last edited by tom0; 05-14-2019 at 07:17 PM.
post #2260 of 2265 Old 05-14-2019, 08:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JDEATON View Post
May I ask if anyone has a preferred source for high quality reasonably priced replacement lamps?

Yesterday I installed a PK-L2312UP lamp assembly with a Ushio bulb from Projector Lamp Source. Their website says, “Genuine Original Lamp with Housing”. It cost about $205, fit perfectly and the picture looks great, much brighter.

If you read between the lines, I think they are stating the assembly has the original Ushio bulb but is not necessarily an OEM housing/assembly. Is there any reason not to use this type of replacement lamp?

Thanks,
John
All of this you probably already know.

There is a reason to prefer new OEM lamps from authorized dealers: you know what you are buying. With "high quality" or "replacement" lamps, or lamps from other sources, you usually don't. You are playing the replacement lamp lottery. Such lamps could be significantly dimmer, or they could die more quickly, or they could be just as good as a new OEM lamp. Even if it looks good when you first install it, there is no way to know how good it will be in the long run.
post #2261 of 2265 Old 05-15-2019, 06:50 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tom0 View Post
All of this you probably already know.

There is a reason to prefer new OEM lamps from authorized dealers: you know what you are buying. With "high quality" or "replacement" lamps, or lamps from other sources, you usually don't. You are playing the replacement lamp lottery. Such lamps could be significantly dimmer, or they could die more quickly, or they could be just as good as a new OEM lamp. Even if it looks good when you first install it, there is no way to know how good it will be in the long run.
Thanks for the reply. I guess I’m just a died in the wool bargain hunter. The lamp I referred to above is still going strong with no issues. So, I purchased another as a backup.

Just for fun, today I searched on PK-L2312UP and ran across this site https://www.jaspertronics.com/produc...nt=40303643724. They boldly claim “Original Ushio PK-L2312UP Lamp & Housing for JVC Projectors – 240 Day Warranty” $100.99 with free shipping. So, I ordered one. I know I’m living dangerously; later today I may even attempt running with scissors.

My experience with lamp-based projectors is the lamps don’t provide truly satisfying brightness for more than roughly half of the stated life. I’ve become tired of nursing an old lamp while wishing the image looked like it did when the lamp was new.

Thus, until laser projectors become mainstream and affordable, I think I’ll just continue to buy cheap replacement lamps.

Audio: Classé SSP-800 Pre-Pro, Classé CA-5300 Amp, Pro-Ject Debut Carbon, Mytek Brooklyn DAC, Roon, Tidal, MQA Usher Audio CP-8571 LR, BE-616 C, S520 S, SVS SB16 Ultra X 2
Other: APC H15 Power Conditioner, Dedicated 20 Amp 10 Ga Romex Circuit, eero Pro WiFi System with Actiontec Bonded MoCA Ethernet
post #2262 of 2265 Old 05-15-2019, 07:19 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 114 Post(s)
Quoted: 4309 Post(s)
Liked: 1549
Quote:
My experience with lamp-based projectors is the lamps don’t provide truly satisfying brightness for more than roughly half of the stated life. I’ve become tired of nursing an old lamp while wishing the image looked like it did when the lamp was new.
This is true of the older lamps, but many users of the recent model JVC lamp PK-L2615U report minimal dimming (around 20%) even at 3000 hours.
post #2263 of 2265 Old 05-15-2019, 02:39 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
This happens because RS57 does not support HDCP 2.2. It is possible to send 4K resolution to the projector, but 4K content, which is protected with HDCP 2.2, will not play due to copy protection.

You need something like an HDfury Linker to play 4K content, and even then you'll need to use 4K SDR, because RS57 does not support HDR.
Thanks tom0 for the answer. I have not been burned by HDCP issues in a long time so this never occurred to me. I knew the RS57 does not support HDR, but could not figure out why the player would not just output 4K SDR from 4K discs. Thanks for the tip on HDfury Linker. I will have to decide if it is worth the price.

John S
post #2264 of 2265 Old 05-15-2019, 04:43 PM

Quote:
Thanks for the reply. I guess I’m just a died in the wool bargain hunter. The lamp I referred to above is still going strong with no issues. So, I purchased another as a backup.

Just for fun, today I searched on PK-L2312UP and ran across this site https://www.jaspertronics.com/produc...nt=40303643724. They boldly claim “Original Ushio PK-L2312UP Lamp & Housing for JVC Projectors – 240 Day Warranty” $100.99 with free shipping. So, I ordered one. I know I’m living dangerously; later today I may even attempt running with scissors.

Thus, until laser projectors become mainstream and affordable, I think I’ll just continue to buy cheap replacement lamps.
I am also a bargain hunter. I would not say that I am opposed to buying non-original lamps, and JVC lamps in particular are quite expensive.

That said, I think it is important to be aware of potential issues with non-original lamps, because the market is not buyer friendly. Often, sellers use the manufacturer's name, do not openly say that their product is not OEM, and people might buy such a lamp without knowing that, possibly even paying a price similar to price of a new OEM lamp from an authorized dealer.

Since all replacement lamps are sold as "no-name", in most cases you cannot be sure what you are getting, where the parts are from, and if they were previously used. There are few incentives for sellers to sell a quality product, other than making sure it actually works when first installed. Most people will not measure how bright the lamp is when they install it and how much it is dimming over time. Even if it works well when you first install it, if it fails after 500 hours and 2 years of use, there is nothing you can do. If it damages your projector. there is nothing you can do.

Some people had a bad experience buying non-original lamps, including projector damage.

https://www.avsforum.com/forum/24-di...l-housing.html
https://www.avsforum.com/forum/68-di...termarket.html
https://www.avsforum.com/forum/68-di...ufacturer.html
https://www.avsforum.com/forum/68-di...ment-lamp.html

I hope that you won't have any issues with your lamp, and it would be interesting to hear how many useful hours it was good for once it inevitably fails or becomes too dim.

Earlier this year, when I was deciding to purchase the Epson 5040UB, cost of replacing the lamp was something I thought about. With new OEM lamps in $200-$300 range, buying one every 2 or 3 years did not seem too expensive. If I used it a lot more, buying a bare bulb and reusing the housing seemed like a reasonable alternative to save money. However, at the rate I use the projector I'd only save about $50 per year, and only if the bare bulb worked as well as a new OEM lamp.

Last edited by tom0; 05-15-2019 at 04:48 PM.
post #2265 of 2265 Old 05-16-2019, 09:10 AM

Quote:
I am also a bargain hunter. I would not say that I am opposed to buying non-original lamps, and JVC lamps in particular are quite expensive.

That said, I think it is important to be aware of potential issues with non-original lamps, because the market is not buyer friendly. Often, sellers use the manufacturer's name, do not openly say that their product is not OEM, and people might buy such a lamp without knowing that, possibly even paying a price similar to price of a new OEM lamp from an authorized dealer.

Since all replacement lamps are sold as "no-name", in most cases you cannot be sure what you are getting, where the parts are from, and if they were previously used. There are few incentives for sellers to sell a quality product, other than making sure it actually works when first installed. Most people will not measure how bright the lamp is when they install it and how much it is dimming over time. Even if it works well when you first install it, if it fails after 500 hours and 2 years of use, there is nothing you can do. If it damages your projector. there is nothing you can do.

Some people had a bad experience buying non-original lamps, including projector damage.

https://www.avsforum.com/forum/24-di...l-housing.html
https://www.avsforum.com/forum/68-di...termarket.html
https://www.avsforum.com/forum/68-di...ufacturer.html
https://www.avsforum.com/forum/68-di...ment-lamp.html

I hope that you won't have any issues with your lamp, and it would be interesting to hear how many useful hours it was good for once it inevitably fails or becomes too dim.

Earlier this year, when I was deciding to purchase the Epson 5040UB, cost of replacing the lamp was something I thought about. With new OEM lamps in $200-$300 range, buying one every 2 or 3 years did not seem too expensive. If I used it a lot more, buying a bare bulb and reusing the housing seemed like a reasonable alternative to save money. However, at the rate I use the projector I'd only save about $50 per year, and only if the bare bulb worked as well as a new OEM lamp.
Thanks again for your insight and examples Tom. I do appreciate it. This JVC 6710 is my third projector since about 2004. I think it is a 2014 model year device. I purchased it used in late 2015. It had roughly 200 hours use and came with a spare lamp. While it is a pixel shifter, its not truly 4K compliant from an HDMI/HDCP perspective; it’s about 5 years old and has a resale value of very little. That said it still works very well, and from my viewing position with my eyesight I don’t think I would see a resolution difference if I had a 4K machine. What I am missing is the expanded color gamut and pop of HDR. I have been following the Epson 5050 / 6050 anticipation and owner’s threads and can’t help but think for a reasonable amount of money I may be able to buy a projector l like better than my JVC. I really think I’m more into brightness and pop than I am shadow detail and dark scenes.

So, while I don’t want to blow my projector up with a bad bulb, if the old thing breaks down, well then it may be time for a new Epson, or maybe that BenQ 5550, or maybe by then there will be affordable laser alternatives.

Last edited by JDEATON; 05-16-2019 at 09:16 AM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply Digital Hi-End Projectors - $3,000+ USD MSRP

Tags
Jvc Dla X700r

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page