Which JVC year model is the best bargain for a DLP convert? - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 14 Old 12-19-2013, 12:37 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 307 Post(s)
Liked: 123
So I, like many others, am searching for a holdover pj until 4K comes WAY down...I used to be a DLP man until the purchase of a Panasonic VT50 inadvertently made me a black level snob, so I'm looking for a used JVC that will last 3-5 more years. The setup is a fairly dark family room (white ceiling only, looking to paint grey), 14 ft. back from a 106" 1.0 ga. screen, watch 80% night blockbuster movies and 20% pixar/disney animation (3D would be less than 5% total viewing, but I want it watchable...) so high brightness availability is a concern.

Specifically (and I know this is subjective), which series did JVC finally clean up their 3D enough for it not to be annoying as heck...I'm not looking for the Hobbit in HFR 3D here, just animation for the kids that won't give them (or me) a headache while watching. Also, I'm a little concerned at being underwhelmed on sharpness going from DLP to LCOS. Is e-shift really the "holy grail" of tack-sharp LCOS? I remember hearing the early ones weren't as bright as recent ones, the RS40s had bulb problems, RS50s had premature dimming problems, 40's/50's had bad 3D ghosting issues, etc. For those of you who sold or owned multiple iterations of the JVCs from the RS-1 forward, which ones are the best for my situation (budget is about $3,500 used). I'm especially interested in people's opinions who have come from DLP to LCOS (do you regret it, would you do something differntly?)

Thanks much,
Cory

I realize due to the higher brightness requirement I should probably also be looking at the Sony HW50es...which I am, but I'm specifically looking for which JVC stacks up the best as the Sony's are relatively new and more expensive on the used market than some of the JVCs.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 14 Old 12-19-2013, 12:57 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 24 Post(s)
Liked: 31
If you call AVS TODAY, as in this minute, you can get in on the pre-order pricing on the new 2014 JVC projectors.. I can say the 4910 is just a little above your budget.. but it would be a brand new projector with a 3 year warranty..

The pricing ends today!
post #3 of 14 Old 12-19-2013, 01:02 PM
Home Theater Enthusiast

Mentioned: 125 Post(s)
Quoted: 1373 Post(s)
Liked: 2139
Quote:
Originally Posted by pottscb View Post

So I, like many others, am searching for a holdover pj until 4K comes WAY down...I used to be a DLP man until the purchase of a Panasonic VT50 inadvertently made me a black level snob, so I'm looking for a used JVC that will last 3-5 more years. The setup is a fairly dark family room (white ceiling only, looking to paint grey), 14 ft. back from a 106" 1.0 ga. screen, watch 80% night blockbuster movies and 20% pixar/disney animation (3D would be less than 5% total viewing, but I want it watchable...) so high brightness availability is a concern.

Specifically (and I know this is subjective), which series did JVC finally clean up their 3D enough for it not to be annoying as heck...I'm not looking for the Hobbit in HFR 3D here, just animation for the kids that won't give them (or me) a headache while watching. Also, I'm a little concerned at being underwhelmed on sharpness going from DLP to LCOS. Is e-shift really the "holy grail" of tack-sharp LCOS? I remember hearing the early ones weren't as bright as recent ones, the RS40s had bulb problems, RS50s had premature dimming problems, 40's/50's had bad 3D ghosting issues, etc. For those of you who sold or owned multiple iterations of the JVCs from the RS-1 forward, which ones are the best for my situation (budget is about $3,500 used). I'm especially interested in people's opinions who have come from DLP to LCOS (do you regret it, would you do something differntly?)

Thanks much,
Cory

I realize due to the higher brightness requirement I should probably also be looking at the Sony HW50es...which I am, but I'm specifically looking for which JVC stacks up the best as the Sony's are relatively new and more expensive on the used market than some of the JVCs.

The last series fixed a lot!!!!

mostly (Bulb, & really annoying 3D... lol.)

It was their best release in a while. IMO

E-shift one was better then E-shift 2 though. But not a deal breaker by any means, I would still take last years models over the previous (2 years ago) years in a heart beat.

I miss the superb natural lens sharpness of my Marantz VP-11S2 DLP, but that's about it.

The JVC's are great for light output, color, calibration options, better motion vs the rs35 and lower series. still very sharp, and can still do a looking through a window effect very easily.

Wisconsin Home Theater Enthusiasts Meet: Main Thread l Gear For Sale
SOWK Home Theater
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 14 Old 12-19-2013, 01:11 PM
AVS Forum Addicted Member

Mentioned: 232 Post(s)
Quoted: 11822 Post(s)
Liked: 9357
Send a message via Skype™ to Mike Garrett
Quote:
Originally Posted by pottscb View Post

Thanks much,
Cory

Sent you an email. smile.gif
post #5 of 14 Old 12-19-2013, 01:25 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 314 Post(s)
Liked: 166
I still use my Samsung SP-A800B DLP in the kids theater but I feel that the 4810 is a great step up. I don't feel like I am losing any sharpness and the black levels are head and shoulders better. If SOWK still has his for sale it would be a great deal IMHO.

Chad B calibrated JVC RS600, 112" 2.35 DaLite 2.8 High Power Screen (395 calibrated nits baby!!), 7.5.4 Marantz AV7702, Aerial Acoustics Model 6, Model 5, CC3, Def Tech UIWBP/A, 4-15" Infinite Baffle Sub + 15" Velodyne Sub Near-field, OPPO 203, Geek Pulse DAC, NVidia Shield
post #6 of 14 Old 12-19-2013, 01:26 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 314 Post(s)
Liked: 166
Forgot to mention that I do have a 4810, it is in the main house theater. (in case my previous post was confusing)

Chad B calibrated JVC RS600, 112" 2.35 DaLite 2.8 High Power Screen (395 calibrated nits baby!!), 7.5.4 Marantz AV7702, Aerial Acoustics Model 6, Model 5, CC3, Def Tech UIWBP/A, 4-15" Infinite Baffle Sub + 15" Velodyne Sub Near-field, OPPO 203, Geek Pulse DAC, NVidia Shield
post #7 of 14 Old 12-19-2013, 02:51 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Forum Special Member

SOWK: By "last series" you mean 46, 56, 66, 4810? (sorry, I get confused on which numbers are which years). AVS has a SCREAMING deal on the 4910: which adds the iris, brightness, native contrst, 4k input, and a new e-Shift3...its not a subtle change like some of the previous years. Only reluctance is fear of the unknown...
post #8 of 14 Old 12-19-2013, 03:21 PM

Quoted: 24 Post(s)
Liked: 31
Go for the 4910. UPS killed my RS40 in shipping.. I've just started the claim process, but when I called Mike yesterday to see what they had in stock and the prices I jumped on the 4910.

I don't think you'll be disappointed. .
post #9 of 14 Old 12-19-2013, 03:22 PM
Home Theater Enthusiast

Mentioned: 125 Post(s)
Quoted: 1373 Post(s)
Liked: 2139
Yes to the series numbers.

Intelligent Iris may work may not (pumping / chrushed whites / churched blacks...
Brightness will only matter if you need to light up a huge screen... 106" is not a huge screen.
Contrast.... Ehhh 50,000 to 60,000.... Small, and may not even be noticable unless the intelligent iris works as advertised.

4k input. That's good. smile.gif but sound like you want to do 4k properly anyhow.
Eshift 3.... Could be even worse then eshift 2... I think eshift one is better then eshift 2. As do most.

Wisconsin Home Theater Enthusiasts Meet: Main Thread l Gear For Sale
SOWK Home Theater
post #10 of 14 Old 12-26-2013, 10:10 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Forum Special Member

So, I just found that the 4K input is non-HDCP only (no blu-ray 4K or DirecTV, when it becomes available...leaving only home movies in 4K mad.gif) Either way, I ordered the JVC DLA-RS4910 mainly due to its great 60K contrast (not just a spec, it will actually achieve it) and the new dynamic iris (if it works, if not, 60K:1 is a nice "plan B"), in addition to close to 1000 calibrated lumens and e-Shift3 for sharpening the image to close to DLP standards. Also, the 3D will be used occasionally if it really is improved and brighter. Sounds like a big winner...will report back in a few weeks to give first impressions and answer the question "Is the new JVC series a good replacement for DLP lovers who want better blacks?"

Hope this will help someone.
post #11 of 14 Old 12-26-2013, 10:22 AM

Mentioned: 106 Post(s)
Quoted: 6618 Post(s)
Liked: 7690
Quote:
So, I just found that the 4K input is non-HDCP only (no blu-ray 4K or DirecTV, when it becomes available...leaving only home movies in 4K

I predict that by the time 4K UHD Blu Ray is actually out, ready for prime time, and there are enough titles available to make it worth while ( I'm not going to be an early adopter again like HD DVD, with no titles available except " Riddick ", " Streets of Fire " and " Aeon Flux " ), it will be 3 or 4 years from now, and you'll be ready to upgrade your projector again anyway.
post #12 of 14 Old 12-26-2013, 10:29 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quoted: 139 Post(s)
Liked: 37
The guy said his budget is $3500, why is everyone recommending the 4910 which is around $1000 more than that?
post #13 of 14 Old 12-26-2013, 10:33 AM

Mentioned: 106 Post(s)
Quoted: 6618 Post(s)
Liked: 7690
Quote:
The guy said his budget is $3500, why is everyone recommending the 4910 which is around $1000 more than that?

He said " about $ 3500 used ". And he mentioned e shift. For current pricing he needs to call us at AV Science anyway.
post #14 of 14 Old 01-13-2014, 09:43 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Forum Special Member

Well, I've logged around 10 hours on this machine and can say, without a doubt, that its at least a very good alternative to DLP. With perfect convergence (which this unit has after pixel alignment) its easily competitive with a good DLP for sharpness and motion is close (on a <$5K DLP). Calibrated brightness is close. "Perceived" ANSI contrast is close in a non-batcave environment. Haven't used 3D yet but I suspect DLP will thump it, not an issue for me. Blacks, shadow detail, calibrated brightness, ON/OFF contrast, color saturation, low fan noise, automatic lens shift, zoom, focus, memory...all go to the new JVC without a fight.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply Digital Hi-End Projectors - $3,000+ USD MSRP

Tags
Panasonic Viera Tc P55vt50

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page