Small media room with flexible viewing distance - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 6 Old 12-26-2013, 01:01 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked: 16
We are buying a new house and it has an 10.5 X 13 office that I plan to use for a small media/theater room. I will have complete light control in the room and will be used for TV, movies and music. I can set my 3 seat theater couch at any distance I want, but probably in the 7-10 foot range. Using the screen size calculators, it has put me in a video source conundrum ranging from 65" Plasma, 75" or 80" LED (90" is too expensive), or 90"-100" screen with a projector. I'm currently leaning towards either an Epson 5030UB, JVC X35 or something in the $2500-$3500 range. My primary question for this post is I'm looking for a little validation that a projector is the best route for this room, or should I just move the couch a couple feet closer and get a TV. I currently have a 58" Samsung Plasma that has served me well, and if they made an affordable model over 70" I wouldn't be having such a hard time deciding. I have no ownership experience with a projector. Any input from anyone with a similarly sized room or viewing distance would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks,
Kendall
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 6 Old 12-26-2013, 01:06 PM
Home Theater Enthusiast

Mentioned: 125 Post(s)
Quoted: 1366 Post(s)
Liked: 2127
Do some research and then if you decide a JVC projector. I have a great sample RS4910 for sale in the classifieds.

Much better then a X35.

Wisconsin Home Theater Enthusiasts Meet: Main Thread l Gear For Sale
SOWK Home Theater
post #3 of 6 Old 12-26-2013, 01:08 PM
Home Theater Enthusiast

Mentioned: 125 Post(s)
Quoted: 1366 Post(s)
Liked: 2127
Nothing beat the immersion of a projector. But nothing beats no maintenance of a tv as well... smile.gif

Everything is a give and take.

TV you can sit and use right away.
Projector... I wait about 15 min after I turn on. (I can use right away, but I like the image more after the bulb warms up.)

Wisconsin Home Theater Enthusiasts Meet: Main Thread l Gear For Sale
SOWK Home Theater
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 6 Old 12-27-2013, 09:39 AM - Thread Starter

Like I said, I just want to make sure I'm not "wasting" a projector on a 90" screen if that makes sense.
post #5 of 6 Old 12-27-2013, 10:24 AM
AVS Forum Addicted Member

Mentioned: 232 Post(s)
Quoted: 11816 Post(s)
Liked: 9351
Send a message via Skype™ to Mike Garrett
Quote:
Originally Posted by PPCFlyer View Post

We are buying a new house and it has an 10.5 X 13 office that I plan to use for a small media/theater room. I will have complete light control in the room and will be used for TV, movies and music. I can set my 3 seat theater couch at any distance I want, but probably in the 7-10 foot range. Using the screen size calculators, it has put me in a video source conundrum ranging from 65" Plasma, 75" or 80" LED (90" is too expensive), or 90"-100" screen with a projector. I'm currently leaning towards either an Epson 5030UB, JVC X35 or something in the $2500-$3500 range. My primary question for this post is I'm looking for a little validation that a projector is the best route for this room, or should I just move the couch a couple feet closer and get a TV. I currently have a 58" Samsung Plasma that has served me well, and if they made an affordable model over 70" I wouldn't be having such a hard time deciding. I have no ownership experience with a projector. Any input from anyone with a similarly sized room or viewing distance would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks,
Kendall

You would be able to do a 110" to 118" diagonal 16:9 screen with the available throw, depending on which projector that you went with. What projector would be best for you depends on what you want to use your projector for, screen size and gain. In your case throw is a given. You will use the max allowable in your room. If we can help you, give us a call and we can go over the advantages and disadvantages of each.

Added
I have a room very close to the same size as yours. (11.5' x 13.5') I use a front projector and would never consider going back to a TV. A 110" diagonal 16:9 screen is 185% larger than an 80" 16:9 screen.
post #6 of 6 Old 12-27-2013, 05:28 PM - Thread Starter

110" from 9-10 foot seating distance? That is WELL beyond most calculators. THX distance is 9 feet for an 80" screen, I thought I was pushing it with a 92"....
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply Digital Hi-End Projectors - $3,000+ USD MSRP

Tags
Epson 5030ub 2d 3d 1080p 3lcd Projector , Jvc Dla X35 3d Hd Front Projector

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page