Projector/Screen combination advice - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 3 Old 12-29-2013, 06:20 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Hi All,
I have been lurking for a while in anticipation of getting the space needed to make the switch to projection. My room is approx. 25X12. The room will not be a dedicated media room and has a couple of windows, light colored walls and ceiling so there will be a fair amount of ambient light. The majority of my viewing will be sports and other TV content. I am thinking about a screen size of 100-110". After a lot of reading I have narrowed down my search to the following projectors and screens.

Projector
Epson PowerLite Pro Cinema 6030UB
JVC DLA-X500R
Sony VPL-HW55ES

Screen
Screen Innovations Black Diamond
DNP Supernova

My main goal is the find the best setup for viewing sports in a room with a fair amount of ambient light. What are your thoughts which projector to pair with which screen, pros and cons of each setup? If there are screens/projectors not listed that I should also consider please include those as well.

Thanks in advance.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 3 Old 12-30-2013, 02:25 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 30 Post(s)
Quoted: 2031 Post(s)
Liked: 1924
ok, first, I have not used THOSE projectors, but recently done a lot of research on the jvc x35, sony 50, and Epson 5020 and have now used the x35 for about 5months.

Epson:
-bright if you can sacrifice color accuracy. probably a good trade off for sports/tv. nice to have that option
-relies heavily on the DI, and has the worst DI of those 3(jvc I'm not sure, it's pretty new so I've only heard a couple things about it)
-motion will be a little sloppy from the 3LCD tech(compared to DLP)
-manual lens settings(I think?)
JVC:
-great native contrast, new DI seems to improve things further when set correctly
-dimmer picture(although comparable to the Epson when calibrated, it just won't get nearly as bright in 'brightest uncalibrated' modes)
-motion is kind of sloppy as well. not sure how it compares to the Epson, but definitely worse than the sony
-lens memory
Sony:
-brightest in calibrated mode
-better motion than the jvc, not sure how it compares to Epson
-best DI of the 3

personally, without knowing the cost, I'd rank them as Sony(1), Epson(2) and JVC(3) for your needs. I like the jvc's and I'm positive the jvc was the right decision for me, but the one thing the jvc does better(get blacker blacks) can only be appreciated in a room with good light control, and likely only necessary for watching movies. The sony will give you a brighter image, and be better for fast moving sports and such, but still pretty darn good for those times you do decide to watch a movie at night. The one thing I like about the Epson, is that you have the option to blast a VERY bright image on screen. sacrificing a little bit of color accuracy isn't a big deal for ambient light usage, and the extra lumens may be very helpful

Displays: Samsung PN64F8500/JVC X35
AVR: Pioneer VSX-1130K, 7.1/5.1.2 audio
Sources: HTPC, PS3, XBOX360, Wii
Control: Harmony One
post #3 of 3 Old 12-30-2013, 09:02 PM
AVS Forum Addicted Member

Mentioned: 241 Post(s)
Quoted: 12498 Post(s)
Liked: 10117
Send a message via Skype™ to Mike Garrett
Quote:
Originally Posted by jctaylor45 View Post

Hi All,
I have been lurking for a while in anticipation of getting the space needed to make the switch to projection. My room is approx. 25X12. The room will not be a dedicated media room and has a couple of windows, light colored walls and ceiling so there will be a fair amount of ambient light. The majority of my viewing will be sports and other TV content. I am thinking about a screen size of 100-110". After a lot of reading I have narrowed down my search to the following projectors and screens.

Projector
Epson PowerLite Pro Cinema 6030UB
JVC DLA-X500R
Sony VPL-HW55ES

Screen
Screen Innovations Black Diamond
DNP Supernova

My main goal is the find the best setup for viewing sports in a room with a fair amount of ambient light. What are your thoughts which projector to pair with which screen, pros and cons of each setup? If there are screens/projectors not listed that I should also consider please include those as well.

Thanks in advance.

Sent you a PM. smile.gif
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply Digital Hi-End Projectors - $3,000+ USD MSRP

Tags
Epson Powerlite Pro Cinema 6030ub 3d 3lcd Projector With A Pair Of 3d Glasses , Sony Vpl Hw55es 3d Projector

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page