Consensus best 3D glasses / emitter for JVCs? - Page 18 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 
 72Likes

post #511 of 534 Old 02-08-2020, 02:36 PM
AVS Forum Addicted Member

Mentioned: 85 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2963 Post(s)
Liked: 1560
Quote:
Originally Posted by jnsluft View Post
As for comfort, being a lifelong prescription wearer, both the Xpand 105s and Samsung 3100 fit well over my 'scrip glasses. The Philips ir glasses are a better fit for me if I remove the rubber nose piece.
I could not find the Philips IR glasses, do you have the full model # or description handy?

Are the lens coverage area of the Samsung glasses larger than the Xpand, or about the same?

Quote:
Originally Posted by maf113 View Post
I have a JVC RS2000/NX7, with a Anamorphic Lens projecting onto a SI Slate 1.2 gain screen.
Before I invest in 3D emitter and glasses, will 3D work with the Palidin DCR lens?
I had read before that there was a problem with the DCR lens and 3D, but I believe that article was before JVC 3.1 Update that added Anamorphic D option for 16:9 images.
Assuming your using a lens sled, not sure why it matters that much if it works or not. You could still enjoy 3D without using the lens while watching 3D?

**Updated Projector Calculator Released NOV 2017**
-- www.webprojectorcalculator.com --
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #512 of 534 Old 02-08-2020, 03:24 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 23 Post(s)
Liked: 11
I could not find the Philips IR glasses, do you have the full model # or description handy?

The Philips model number is PTA02. Made by Xpand.
post #513 of 534 Old 02-09-2020, 03:51 PM

Quoted: 13 Post(s)
Liked: 10
A noob here and feeling a bit overwhelmed with all the information around different polarizations, screen gains, etc...

I have a DLA-X770R and SI Slate .8 screen... Looking for suggestions and links for emitter and glasses. TIA
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #514 of 534 Old 02-12-2020, 02:54 PM

Here are the three IR glasses compared. The Philips are heavier but the lens coverage appears almost the same as the Xpand, but slightly taller instead of wide. So eyeballing it, the Philips might barely have the best "average" lens coverage area, about 20% larger overall than the JVC but only about 5% taller than the Xpand 105 (so close though, hard to be certain).

The Philips come with replaceable batteries instead of rechargeable. See below (under images for my further thoughts and measurments).

So what do I prefer?

Spoiler!

The Philips lens coverage area is taller, but not quite as wide as the Xpand 105 IR, though taller seems to matter more in this case.

The measurements below are inner lens coverage excluding the frame itself (measured from inner edge to inner edge). They are not exact since the glasses are not perfectly square, but close...

Philips Measures 3.4cm high and 5.5cm wide.

Xpand IR 105 measures 3.2cm high and 5.7cm wide.

JVC Measures 2.6cm high and 5.5cm wide.

Last edited by coderguy; 02-12-2020 at 04:27 PM.
post #515 of 534 Old 02-13-2020, 12:12 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by coderguy View Post
Here are the three IR glasses compared. The Philips are heavier but the lens coverage appears almost the same as the Xpand, but slightly taller instead of wide. So eyeballing it, the Philips might barely have the best "average" lens coverage area, about 20% larger overall than the JVC but only about 5% taller than the Xpand 105 (so close though, hard to be certain).

The Philips come with replaceable batteries instead of rechargeable. See below (under images for my further thoughts and measurments).

So what do I prefer?

Spoiler!

The Philips lens coverage area is taller, but not quite as wide as the Xpand 105 IR, though taller seems to matter more in this case.

The measurements below are inner lens coverage excluding the frame itself (measured from inner edge to inner edge). They are not exact since the glasses are not perfectly square, but close...

Philips Measures 3.4cm high and 5.5cm wide.

Xpand IR 105 measures 3.2cm high and 5.7cm wide.

JVC Measures 2.6cm high and 5.5cm wide.
Thank you for this info. I assumed that all derivatives of the same glasses since they're all made by Xpand.

My next 3d experiment is to see if I can combine a JVC connector with a Sony BR100 emitter, which if it works, opens up a whole new line of compatible glasses.
post #516 of 534 Old 02-13-2020, 02:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MAGNUStm View Post
A noob here and feeling a bit overwhelmed with all the information around different polarizations, screen gains, etc...

I have a DLA-X770R and SI Slate .8 screen... Looking for suggestions and links for emitter and glasses. TIA
Read Post # 464 here and it should answer your questions.

https://www.avsforum.com/forum/24-di...l#post59002356

Edit
Depending on your screen polarity and how many pairs of glasses you need, you can either opt for lesser comfort but brighter (HiShock glasses), or you can go for the Xpand 105's which won't be as bright, but at least have a bit better lens coverage and comfort. The Philips IR is another option if you need many pairs of glasses cheaply, but it wouldn't be my first preference, that would be the Xpand 103's (if you can find them) or Xpand 105's (easy to get on Amazon in IR or RF). IR or RF doesn't matter that much, but probably slightly more future proof to go RF than IR. At some point, it makes more sense just to run LAMP HIGH than to be uncomfortable when watching 3D.
'
In order of preference for all older JVC

1) Older Xpand 103's (if you can find them)
2) Xpand 105's RF or IR (amazon.com)
3) Philips IR (ebay)
4) Something else or unknown (maybe a universal pair you find)?
5) Hi-Shock 3D Glasses
6) JVC Glasses (don't like my version -- so I put these absolute last, but other versions of JVC glasses might be better)

Last edited by coderguy; 02-13-2020 at 02:45 PM.
post #517 of 534 Old 02-14-2020, 07:03 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 26 Post(s)
Quoted: 821 Post(s)
Liked: 236
Quote:
Originally Posted by coderguy View Post
Read Post # 464 here and it should answer your questions.

https://www.avsforum.com/forum/24-di...l#post59002356

Edit
Depending on your screen polarity and how many pairs of glasses you need, you can either opt for lesser comfort but brighter (HiShock glasses), or you can go for the Xpand 105's which won't be as bright, but at least have a bit better lens coverage and comfort. The Philips IR is another option if you need many pairs of glasses cheaply, but it wouldn't be my first preference, that would be the Xpand 103's (if you can find them) or Xpand 105's (easy to get on Amazon in IR or RF). IR or RF doesn't matter that much, but probably slightly more future proof to go RF than IR. At some point, it makes more sense just to run LAMP HIGH than to be uncomfortable when watching 3D.
'
In order of preference for all older JVC

1) Older Xpand 103's (if you can find them)
2) Xpand 105's RF or IR (amazon.com)
3) Philips IR (ebay)
4) Something else or unknown (maybe a universal pair you find)?
5) Hi-Shock 3D Glasses
6) JVC Glasses (don't like my version -- so I put these absolute last, but other versions of JVC glasses might be better)
What are you using for IR emitter? I cannot find the JVC listed anywhere. I bought an Xpand 3DG-EX103 IR SIGNAL EMITTER years ago and did not try it until yesterday (Using RF primarily) and it did not seem to work with the Philips glasses. Changed battery on the glasses and it made no difference. I searched ebay and amazon and that same Xpand emitter is all I can find, other than a several hundred dollar kit with glasses included.
post #518 of 534 Old 02-14-2020, 11:50 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ScottAvery View Post
What are you using for IR emitter? I cannot find the JVC listed anywhere. I bought an Xpand 3DG-EX103 IR SIGNAL EMITTER years ago and did not try it until yesterday (Using RF primarily) and it did not seem to work with the Philips glasses. Changed battery on the glasses and it made no difference. I searched ebay and amazon and that same Xpand emitter is all I can find, other than a several hundred dollar kit with glasses included.
I have one of the EX103 emitters, and I haven’t found any glasses that work with it.

Eventually a JVC pk em-1 ir emitter will turn up. They always do. Try the classifieds here. I was lucky enough to find mine at a local dealer. I can confirm that the Philips PTA02 glasses sync immediately to the JVC emitter.
post #519 of 534 Old 02-14-2020, 01:39 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
I have one of the EX103 emitters, and I haven’t found any glasses that work with it.

Eventually a JVC pk em-1 ir emitter will turn up. They always do. Try the classifieds here. I was lucky enough to find mine at a local dealer. I can confirm that the Philips PTA02 glasses sync immediately to the JVC emitter.
Bummer on the EX103!
post #520 of 534 Old 02-14-2020, 02:18 PM

Quote:
Bummer on the EX103!
I believe I am using the JVC PKEM1G IR emitter, but not 100% certain as I would have to double check the box, but whichever one came with my original RS-45 purchase. Now I use the RS-420 and that old JVC IR emitter with it. I also have the HiShock RF emitter, but I now see the NEC RF Emitters are probably still available as cheap or cheaper than the HighShock, which is easier to get I think in the US. You might try to order some other IR emitter and return it if it does not work.

post #521 of 534 Old 02-15-2020, 10:55 AM
Pip
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 378 Post(s)
Liked: 187
I have of Expand 105s, and invariably every time I go to use them, they have no charge. I'll charge them fully after using, but if the next time I go to use them is a month later, they'll be dead. Am I doing something wrong, or is this just the way it is? Do they require charging once a week of something?

I would assume the rechargeable batteries should hold some degree of charge for quite a long time if they are not in use.

Any advice?

Thanks

Pip
post #522 of 534 Old 02-15-2020, 11:23 AM

Mentioned: 177 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 5527 Post(s)
Liked: 5977
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pip View Post
I have of Expand 105s, and invariably every time I go to use them, they have no charge. I'll charge them fully after using, but if the next time I go to use them is a month later, they'll be dead. Am I doing something wrong, or is this just the way it is? Do they require charging once a week of something?

I would assume the rechargeable batteries should hold some degree of charge for quite a long time if they are not in use.

Any advice?

Thanks

Pip
hi, it sounds like the batteries are starting to have an issue. they should be able to hold a charge for a month. some of the 3D glasses for the different projectors here are getting hard to find, especially these rare Xpand DLP Link glasses.

The batteries will naturally drain when they aren't being used and found this to cause issues on a few different pairs over time. I have several of these Anker chargers and keep them charged all the time now to prevent issues with the batteries.

https://www.amazon.com/Anker-10-Port...dp/B00YRYS4T4/

post #523 of 534 Old 02-15-2020, 06:04 PM

Quote:
Bummer on the EX103!
I think I found out why these EX103 emitters don’t work. I took mine apart. The circuit board is labeled 5v. The proper JVC and Xpand emitters are 12v. That may account for the squealing I and other people have noticed.

I did cut the plug off of it and I’m trying it on a Sony BR100 emitter. I want to see if I can get my Sony BR50 glasses to work. If so, than we will all have another cheap alternative for 3d. Wiring is similar, but the Sony has an extra black wire that the plug doesn’t have. Still trying to make it work.
post #524 of 534 Old 02-15-2020, 07:48 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
I think I found out why these EX103 emitters don’t work. I took mine apart. The circuit board is labeled 5v. The proper JVC and Xpand emitters are 12v. That may account for the squealing I and other people have noticed.

I did cut the plug off of it and I’m trying it on a Sony BR100 emitter. I want to see if I can get my Sony BR50 glasses to work. If so, than we will all have another cheap alternative for 3d. Wiring is similar, but the Sony has an extra black wire that the plug doesn’t have. Still trying to make it work.
Interesting. I wonder if you can power it with a 5v apple wallwart and still take signal from the JVC. Or if the signal is carried with the common perhaps it could survive being converted: https://circuits-diy.com/12v-to-5v-c...-power-supply/

Also, not sure what sony product you mean, but Hi-Shock sells a converter for sony cable to VESA, and they have a VESA splitter as well.

Last edited by ScottAvery; 02-15-2020 at 08:16 PM.
post #525 of 534 Old Yesterday, 11:30 AM

Quote:
Interesting. I wonder if you can power it with a 5v apple wallwart and still take signal from the JVC. Or if the signal is carried with the common perhaps it could survive being converted: https://circuits-diy.com/12v-to-5v-c...-power-supply/

Also, not sure what sony product you mean, but Hi-Shock sells a converter for sony cable to VESA, and they have a VESA splitter as well.
What I am trying to make work is a Sony TMR-BR100 emitter. That is the one used with Sony TVs, and the BR series of 3d glasses. It has a 4 pin connector that I cut off and am trying to make work with the vesa plug I cut from the ex103 emitter.

The Hi-Shock adaptor works with the Sony PJ1/pj2 projector emitter, which has the rj45 connector. This would allow you to use PS3 glasses with a JVC projector.
post #526 of 534 Old Yesterday, 12:11 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
What I am trying to make work is a Sony TMR-BR100 emitter. That is the one used with Sony TVs, and the BR series of 3d glasses. It has a 4 pin connector that I cut off and am trying to make work with the vesa plug I cut from the ex103 emitter.

The Hi-Shock adaptor works with the Sony PJ1/pj2 projector emitter, which has the rj45 connector. This would allow you to use PS3 glasses with a JVC projector.
I wrote to Xpand to ask about IR emitters. They still sell a Pro IR emitter, but it is $990. So, not really an option.
post #527 of 534 Old Yesterday, 12:11 PM

Quote:

hi, please keep us posted if you get the BR100 emitter working. I have a ton of those PS3 glasses here that a fellow member sent me for my Sharp 30K 3D DLP projector. They have nice size lenses and are relatively comfortable.

I made a 3 pin VESA splitter years ago to run the JVC IR and RF emitter at the same time. I could swap out the JVC IR for the Sony and use those glasses.

post #528 of 534 Old Yesterday, 01:03 PM

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 468 Post(s)
Liked: 50
Quote:
I wrote to Xpand to ask about IR emitters. They still sell a Pro IR emitter, but it is $990. So, not really an option.

Why don’t you use RF version of emitter and glasses ? It will be much more reliable in terms of line of site etc
post #529 of 534 Old Yesterday, 01:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by zombie10k View Post
hi, please keep us posted if you get the BR100 emitter working. I have a ton of those PS3 glasses here that a fellow member sent me for my Sharp 30K 3D DLP projector. They have nice size lenses and are relatively comfortable.

I made a 3 pin VESA splitter years ago to run the JVC IR and RF emitter at the same time. I could swap out the JVC IR for the Sony and use those glasses.

I’m not sure yet on the compatibility of the BR100 emitter and PS3 glasses. Being an owner of a Sony HW30, the emitter is a TMR-PJ1, which the PS3 glasses sync with Without issue. The BR100 emitter was/is used with Sony TVs, and sync with BR series glasses. The BR series glasses could work with a Sony projector if you bought special lens filters to put on the lenses.

I think all you would need is this https://www.hi-shock.de/en/rj45/3-pi...40-hw55-vw1100
And this. https://www.hi-shock.de/en/y-vesa-ca...in/3-pin/3-pin
Then you can connect a Sony TMR-PJ or PJ2 emitter. That is the emitter for the Sony HW and VW projectors. Then you can use PS3 glasses. Thanks to ScottAvery for this link. I had no idea this existed. I’m ordering one, along with the Hi Shock splitter, since I have several PS3 glasses, also.

My reason for trying to make the BR100 emitter work is seeing if the BR50, BR100, and BR250 can work with our projectors. The BR’s are the glasses that needed the special filters to be used with Sony projectors. I’m thinking if I can make this work, then will have a whole new line of cheap glasses to pick from.
post #530 of 534 Old Yesterday, 02:24 PM

Quote:
I’m not sure yet on the compatibility of the BR100 emitter and PS3 glasses. Being an owner of a Sony HW30, the emitter is a TMR-PJ1, which the PS3 glasses sync with Without issue. The BR100 emitter was/is used with Sony TVs, and sync with BR series glasses. The BR series glasses could work with a Sony projector if you bought special lens filters to put on the lenses.

I think all you would need is this https://www.hi-shock.de/en/rj45/3-pi...40-hw55-vw1100
And this. https://www.hi-shock.de/en/y-vesa-ca...in/3-pin/3-pin
Then you can connect a Sony TMR-PJ or PJ2 emitter. That is the emitter for the Sony HW and VW projectors. Then you can use PS3 glasses. Thanks to ScottAvery for this link. I had no idea this existed. I’m ordering one, along with the Hi Shock splitter, since I have several PS3 glasses, also.

My reason for trying to make the BR100 emitter work is seeing if the BR50, BR100, and BR250 can work with our projectors. The BR’s are the glasses that needed the special filters to be used with Sony projectors. I’m thinking if I can make this work, then will have a whole new line of cheap glasses to pick from.
Hi, I think several folks tried this before without much luck. I had the HW30 for several years as well. I am not sure the signal from the projector is compatible. Several folks in the HW55 thread were discussing the pinouts but not sure anyone got it work.

I used that 3 pin to RJ45 years ago so I could use the Xpand RF transmitter with my VW1100.

I have several of the BR series glasses but avoid them because they have the heaviest color tint of all the glasses i've tested over the years. the PS3 glasses are more color neutral like the Xpand 105's.

post #531 of 534 Old Yesterday, 03:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by zombie10k View Post

In the picture, you have a pair of PS3 glasses. Do these work with the JVC ir emitter? I don’t think I actually tried that combo.
post #532 of 534 Old Yesterday, 03:54 PM

Quote:
In the picture, you have a pair of PS3 glasses. Do these work with the JVC ir emitter? I don’t think I actually tried that combo.
unfortunately no they don't work with the JVC IR emitter. They surprisingly work perfect with my Sharp 3D DLP projector, instant sync as soon as I turn them on.
post #533 of 534 Old Yesterday, 04:47 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by blake View Post
Why don’t you use RF version of emitter and glasses ? It will be much more reliable in terms of line of site etc
I have RF glasses, they just cost a lot more than IR glasses and I have already broken 2 pairs. If I could have 10-20 disposable pairs of IR glasses for kids and other cretins, I would be happy.
post #534 of 534 Old Yesterday, 04:59 PM

IR line of sight is pretty forgiving, I have my IR emitter in the back corner of the room and it still works, pretty much works with any line of sight direction for most glasses.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply Digital Hi-End Projectors - $3,000+ USD MSRP

Tags
Samsung Ssg 5100gb 3d Active Glasses , Samsung Ssg 4100gb 3d Active Glasses 2012 Model , Optoma Bg Bc100b 3d Rf Emitter Only , Xpand X105 Rf X1 Rechargeable 3d Rf Bluetooth Glasses

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page