Can the HW10 be Upgraded to 3D? - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 7 Old 01-06-2014, 01:36 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
I have been away for awhile and this may have been discussed, but is there any 3D upgrade from Sony for the HW10 projector? Thanks...cool.gif

JSJS
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 7 Old 01-07-2014, 07:12 AM - Thread Starter

Somebody? Anybody? Moderators & AVS techies this is your moment in the sun to show off. Help!eek.gif

JSJS
post #3 of 7 Old 01-07-2014, 07:41 AM

Mentioned: 48 Post(s)
Quoted: 5167 Post(s)
Liked: 2593
There is no upgrade path for that projector but there are addon devices that will make it so 3D can be displayed at 60hz. Generally, these devices work poorly because there is far too much flicker at 60hz when trying to display 3D.

My suggestion would be to buy a cheap DLP projector. There are several models that are 1080p and do 3D. Check out the Optoma HD25
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 7 Old 01-12-2014, 01:11 PM - Thread Starter

Thanks. Next question. Is it hopeless trying to get the black levels and picture on the HW10 to match or even surpass the picture I get on my 55-inch Samsung 8500 big screen tv?

JSJS
post #5 of 7 Old 01-15-2014, 05:03 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 976 Post(s)
Liked: 993
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jack Smith View Post

Thanks. Next question. Is it hopeless trying to get the black levels and picture on the HW10 to match or even surpass the picture I get on my 55-inch Samsung 8500 big screen tv?

Do you have a fully light controlled room painted black or very dark colors? The HW10 is a decent projector, but is now several years old and several current models in the $2.5K to $4K price range have a lower black level and better contrast ratio. However, these characteristics don't mean much unless you are using the projector in a "bat cave" with virtually no room lighting and dark walls, ceiling, floor covering, etc. Remember that with a front projection setup and with the projector turned off, when you view the screen with the room lighting as it will be form movie viewing, however dark your screen appears will be as dark as "black" will ever be even if you have a perfect projector (with zero light output when the image fades to black).

Ron Jones
Blog + Reviews + Articles: projectorreviews.com
post #6 of 7 Old 01-16-2014, 11:55 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ron Jones View Post

Do you have a fully light controlled room painted black or very dark colors? The HW10 is a decent projector, but is now several years old and several current models in the $2.5K to $4K price range have a lower black level and better contrast ratio. However, these characteristics don't mean much unless you are using the projector in a "bat cave" with virtually no room lighting and dark walls, ceiling, floor covering, etc. Remember that with a front projection setup and with the projector turned off, when you view the screen with the room lighting as it will be form movie viewing, however dark your screen appears will be as dark as "black" will ever be even if you have a perfect projector (with zero light output when the image fades to black).

My basement is zero black. The small slit windows are curtained over and my HW10 is in new condition and :cool:has less than 100 hours on it, if I wanted to trade or sell, does the HW10 have any market value left?

JSJS
post #7 of 7 Old 01-16-2014, 01:22 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 976 Post(s)
Liked: 993
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jack Smith View Post

My basement is zero black. The small slit windows are curtained over and my HW10 is in new condition and :cool:has less than 100 hours on it, if I wanted to trade or sell, does the HW10 have any market value left?

Market value is probably under $1K. Perhaps you could check the AVS classified section (or eBay) to see if any are listed or have sold recently.

Ron Jones
Blog + Reviews + Articles: projectorreviews.com
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply Digital Hi-End Projectors - $3,000+ USD MSRP

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page