RF glasses and transmitter for the VPL-HW55ES - Page 4 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 
 6Likes

post #91 of 110 Old 01-14-2015, 01:39 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 0
Quote:
Originally Posted by hussain View Post
can anyone reply to above
Probably a little late on an answer but I have both the Samsung and Xpand glasses mentioned and they both work fine for me with the 40ES. Had an Epson 3500 that I returned and the Samsung glasses did show ghosting with it but they do not with my Sony. I don't mess with the 3D depth on the projector but I have it jacked up pretty high from my Oppo 103 and don't see any ghosting with either pair. I bought the Xpand Emitter and Sony cable directly from Expand for $215.00 since they guaranteed it to work; didn't want to mess with making a cable and or having issues with the expand emitter for Mitsubishi. The emitter they supplied me works with all of these frequencies: 96 Hz, 100 Hz, 120 Hz, 144 Hz, 192 Hz and 240 Hz. There may be better 3D glasses out there but so far I'm extremely happy; better 3D than the theater.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #92 of 110 Old 02-13-2015, 05:16 PM

Quoted: 13 Post(s)
Liked: 13
I bought the kit mentioned below for my 55ES and completed the cable mod. It works but is ghosting up a storm. Synced my samsung glasses from my plasma TV and same results. I tried playing with the glasses brightness setting and changing 3D sync setting to optional and back again but still really bad ghosting. When trying to change the glasses brightness it seemed to only work on the third highest setting.

Any thoughts?

Quote:
Originally Posted by zombie10k View Post
if you wire in an RF emitter, you have the option of running a number of different glasses that can't lose sync with the projector.

this link explains how to set up an RF kit on the Sony

https://www.avsforum.com/forum/24-dig...l#post24780714

These glasses have the emitter in the kit for relatively cheap:

http://www.amazon.com/EX105BT-Shutte...dp/B009ZW7SR2/

from there you can use just about any RF glasses with the Sony. Most i've tried are more comfortable and lighter than Sony's glasses.
post #93 of 110 Old 02-15-2015, 10:09 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 242 Post(s)
Liked: 198
Hello Everyone!

Very much leaning towards buying the Sony HW55ES projector.

I already own a Samsung 3D plasma and bought these glasses....

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00...?ie=UTF8&psc=1

I believe they are RF. I also have the Samsung glasses that came with the plasma television.

Without going through all the previous pages in these threads...

Can someone send me a link(s) of exactly what I need to purchase in order to use these RF glasses with the Sony projector?

Thank you, so much, in advance
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #94 of 110 Old 03-02-2015, 03:06 PM

Quoted: 219 Post(s)
Liked: 28
This thread is like a bad roller coaster, it goes all over the place without anything solid to hold on to. :P

I just got this projector and have heard that the IR is terrible and I should get RF, but I cannot get any solid part numbers or find solid feedback of someone with this projector.

Is RF really that much 'better', than the IR?

What make/model RF parts/equip should I get that is the most bang for your buck?
post #95 of 110 Old 03-02-2015, 09:19 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

You would probably be okay with IR glasses, which the Sony supports.

My situation is that I already own a 3D plasma (Samsung) that uses RF glasses. I want to continue using those, so I went the expensive route and ordered the Xpand emitter and Sony converter cable.

The big advantage with RF glasses over IR is that there doesn't have to be a line of sight in order for them to work. You have more movement freedom.

However, it is a big expense (about $300) to upgrade to the emitter and needed converter cable.

You might be better off just buying a big set of PS3 IR glasses from Amazon at about $10 apiece.
post #96 of 110 Old 03-03-2015, 07:56 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 282 Post(s)
Liked: 79
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wolfgheist View Post
This thread is like a bad roller coaster, it goes all over the place without anything solid to hold on to. :P

I just got this projector and have heard that the IR is terrible and I should get RF, but I cannot get any solid part numbers or find solid feedback of someone with this projector.

Is RF really that much 'better', than the IR?

What make/model RF parts/equip should I get that is the most bang for your buck?
Part number for dongle ... https://www.servicesplus.sel.sony.co...84805211.aspx#

The emitter is the Xpand AD025-RF-X1.
post #97 of 110 Old 03-03-2015, 10:10 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ronald Epstein View Post

My situation is that I already own a 3D plasma (Samsung) that uses RF glasses. I want to continue using those, so I went the expensive route and ordered the Xpand emitter and Sony converter cable.

The big advantage with RF glasses over IR is that there doesn't have to be a line of sight in order for them to work. You have more movement freedom.

However, it is a big expense (about $300) to upgrade to the emitter and needed converter cable.

You might be better off just buying a big set of PS3 IR glasses from Amazon at about $10 apiece.
http://www.ebay.com/itm/Wholesale-Lo...item43d2821461

or

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Playstation-...item5b0c92a261
post #98 of 110 Old 03-03-2015, 10:12 AM

Quote:

Do these have batteries, or you have to have cables connected to them?
post #99 of 110 Old 03-03-2015, 10:45 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

They have batteries, but mini USB ports so they can be recharged.

These are the glasses I own...

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00...?ie=UTF8&psc=1

They are RF glasses. A bit expensive, but worth it. They are really nice.
post #100 of 110 Old 03-31-2015, 09:07 PM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 336 Post(s)
Liked: 144
Can somebody tell me if I can plug the Optoma BC100 emitter directly into the Sony HW40es using the official sony lan to vesa 3 pin cable without causing damage to the projector or emitter ?.

I just wanted to test the Optoma emitter and ZF2100 Optoma glasses in comparison with the Xpand emitter and glasses,
Thanks.
post #101 of 110 Old 07-10-2015, 11:57 PM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 0
Quote:

These PS3 IR glasses would be compatible with the HW55ES? I'm surprised because they are so much cheaper than the TDG-PJ1 that are shipped with the projector. Are all IR glasses compatible or how do you check?
post #102 of 110 Old 12-15-2015, 01:57 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 186 Post(s)
Liked: 64
I just purchased a Sony VPL-HW55ES.

After reading this forum and realizing that for $65 I could try RF 3-D and get some RF 3-D glasses, I took the plunge. I bought a shielded CAT7 cable and the

Xpand EX105BT Active 3D Shutter Glasses and Bluetooth Emitter for Mitsubishi Televisions:

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00...ilpage_o06_s00

I followed directions from linked to threads - sort of.

I just cut the cable, and used a terminal block like these that I had around:

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00...ilpage_o05_s02

Stripped the Cat7 and the wires to the RF transmitter, crammed them into the terminal block, snipped off the solder legs (don't want antennas) electrical tape, foil (faraday cage over terminal block to reduce interference) and more electrical tape.

Plugged it into the Sony projector, paired the XPAND glasses - and voila! 3-D.

I popped in TRON: Legacy 3-D.

So then the argh. Ghosting on the title menu. I couldn't get rid of it. If I adjusted the depth to +1, I could get ghosting on the menu words to go away, but it would make it worse in the background scenes going by. If I fixed the background scenes going by, it got worse on the menu screen.

There aren't very many options to fix the ghosting... Don't even know what the two 3-D sync settings are... standard and option? I tried both and it changed nothing...

Standard: This output is suitable for the built-in 3D Sync Transmitter and external 3D Sync Transmitter TMR-PJ2 (not supplied). This mode is the default setting.
Option: Select this mode when connecting a transmitter other thanTMR-PJ2.

I thought this RF thing wasn't going to work.

Then I played the movie. No ghosting that I could perceive! It just seemed to be during the Legacy menu screen. Weird.

Then I removed the 3-D sync transmitter and went back to IR.

I still had the ghosting on the menu screen with the Sony supplied IR glasses that came with the projector. Changing the depth had the same effects as with RF glasses.

So apparently the RF sync is working pretty much as well as the IR sync is. That's good I guess.

Are there glasses you can buy or transmitters you can buy that offer more settings to fine tune the 3D sync? That would still work with the Sony?

Because with both IR and RF I seem to get some ghosting on TRON:Legacy - menu screen (and maybe some places in movie - I didn't watch the whole thing). And I want.... perfection! I read reviews on TRON:Legacy 3D and no mention of ghosting. Read about another person using some "Monster 3-D" system that could fine tune the sync and they used the TRON:Legacy menu screen to get their 3d sync perfect. I want that...

Suggestions?

Hardware and System engineer. Enjoy theaters, automation, media and the outdoors.
Love the hobby, but always have to remember to keep family first!
"The Escape Pod" - First Theater Build

Last edited by danielrg; 12-15-2015 at 02:02 AM.
post #103 of 110 Old 01-17-2016, 11:39 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 185 Post(s)
Liked: 23
Does anyone know if you go with the Xpand BT emitter, does that let you run most of the current glasses out there? Also, will the xpand emitter work with the IR sensor from monster? I already have an old optoma RF receiver that will work with the IR sensor, but I'd like more of a selection of glasses as the kids need glasses.
post #104 of 110 Old 04-14-2016, 01:09 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 16 Post(s)
afaik, any bluetooth emitter will work with all bluetooth glasses. Not all rf is bluetooth though. I am really sure the samsung BT glasses are all you need for anybody. The problem now is XPAND seems to be closed, so you may not be able to get the emitter/cable. You could email them to see. Otherwise you are down to doing the hack job.

Daniel, I assume you aren't going to invite a bunch of people over to look at a menu. If the movie looks good I would be happy with that. Only DLP projectors can avoid ghosting.
post #105 of 110 Old 04-25-2016, 07:22 AM

Quoted: 18 Post(s)
Liked: 12
Quote:
Originally Posted by brent_b_23 View Post
I bought the kit mentioned below for my 55ES and completed the cable mod. It works but is ghosting up a storm. Synced my samsung glasses from my plasma TV and same results. I tried playing with the glasses brightness setting and changing 3D sync setting to optional and back again but still really bad ghosting. When trying to change the glasses brightness it seemed to only work on the third highest setting.

Any thoughts?
I have the same exact problem with mine so basically I feel like I just wasted $65 bucks and few hours of my time to wire it up. I have 3 different types of the RF glasses from my older Samsung Plasma and tried them all and they all produce pretty much the same results and make the 3D unwatchable. I switched back over to IR with the PS3 glasses and it looks pretty much flawless. Not sure what i'm missing here. Did anyone ever find a fix for this?
post #106 of 110 Old 04-25-2016, 07:32 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Interesting thread.

I generally don't get a lot of ghosting with my Sony projector and the RF glasses.

I do get some, however. Recently watched COMIN' AT YA' and it was horrendous. But that title was the exception to the rule.

I wonder what would happen if I removed the adapter and went back to IR. The PS4 glasses are pretty damn cheap.
post #107 of 110 Old 04-25-2016, 10:14 AM

Quote:
Interesting thread.

I generally don't get a lot of ghosting with my Sony projector and the RF glasses.

I do get some, however. Recently watched COMIN' AT YA' and it was horrendous. But that title was the exception to the rule.

I wonder what would happen if I removed the adapter and went back to IR. The PS4 glasses are pretty damn cheap.
I wish that were the case with mine since I have quite a few pairs of the lighter samsung glasses i'd rather use. I tried adjusting the focus and pretty much every setting in the menu but nothing changed the outcome. I'm also on a brand new bulb so I know its not that. The PS3 glasses are probably the best IR glasses i've used and they are fairly light but tend to start straining your nose by the end of a 2hr+ movie.
post #108 of 110 Old 05-02-2016, 05:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by danielrg View Post
I just purchased a Sony VPL-HW55ES.

After reading this forum and realizing that for $65 I could try RF 3-D and get some RF 3-D glasses, I took the plunge. I bought a shielded CAT7 cable and the

Xpand EX105BT Active 3D Shutter Glasses and Bluetooth Emitter for Mitsubishi Televisions:

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00...ilpage_o06_s00

I followed directions from linked to threads - sort of.

I just cut the cable, and used a terminal block like these that I had around:

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00...ilpage_o05_s02

Stripped the Cat7 and the wires to the RF transmitter, crammed them into the terminal block, snipped off the solder legs (don't want antennas) electrical tape, foil (faraday cage over terminal block to reduce interference) and more electrical tape.

Plugged it into the Sony projector, paired the XPAND glasses - and voila! 3-D.

I popped in TRON: Legacy 3-D.

So then the argh. Ghosting on the title menu. I couldn't get rid of it. If I adjusted the depth to +1, I could get ghosting on the menu words to go away, but it would make it worse in the background scenes going by. If I fixed the background scenes going by, it got worse on the menu screen.

There aren't very many options to fix the ghosting... Don't even know what the two 3-D sync settings are... standard and option? I tried both and it changed nothing...

Standard: This output is suitable for the built-in 3D Sync Transmitter and external 3D Sync Transmitter TMR-PJ2 (not supplied). This mode is the default setting.
Option: Select this mode when connecting a transmitter other thanTMR-PJ2.

I thought this RF thing wasn't going to work.

Then I played the movie. No ghosting that I could perceive! It just seemed to be during the Legacy menu screen. Weird.

Then I removed the 3-D sync transmitter and went back to IR.

I still had the ghosting on the menu screen with the Sony supplied IR glasses that came with the projector. Changing the depth had the same effects as with RF glasses.

So apparently the RF sync is working pretty much as well as the IR sync is. That's good I guess.

Are there glasses you can buy or transmitters you can buy that offer more settings to fine tune the 3D sync? That would still work with the Sony?

Because with both IR and RF I seem to get some ghosting on TRON:Legacy - menu screen (and maybe some places in movie - I didn't watch the whole thing). And I want.... perfection! I read reviews on TRON:Legacy 3D and no mention of ghosting. Read about another person using some "Monster 3-D" system that could fine tune the sync and they used the TRON:Legacy menu screen to get their 3d sync perfect. I want that...

Suggestions?
Thought about trying my luck with these RF glasses again after reading about the 3D Sync output setting in the manual. Weird thing is my projector doesn't even have that setting in the menu for some reason. Does anyone have a clue why that might be? It may not actually help anything but I figured it was worth a try also thought it was weird it was nowhere to be found.
post #109 of 110 Old 05-27-2016, 12:14 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jruc03 View Post
Thought about trying my luck with these RF glasses again after reading about the 3D Sync output setting in the manual. Weird thing is my projector doesn't even have that setting in the menu for some reason. Does anyone have a clue why that might be? It may not actually help anything but I figured it was worth a try also thought it was weird it was nowhere to be found.
I have seen settings disappear on the Sony if you aren't getting an input signal or the right input signal. Make sure you are feeding it a live 3D signal and see if the menu settings show up.

Hardware and System engineer. Enjoy theaters, automation, media and the outdoors.
post #110 of 110 Old 05-27-2016, 12:42 PM
Advanced Member

This thread is missing some of the pinout information for the RF sync cable.

If getting the XPAND RF Emitter, you can get Ethernet Cable, cut off the RJ45 plug, cut off the end of the XPAND cable, and wire directly using this pinout.

Just note the color of the wires connected to Supply, Gnd, and Sync. Then connect them to the RJ45 wires.

On the RJ-45 connector:

Pins 1 + 2: Supply
Pins 3, 7, 8: Ground
Pin 4: Sync

On the first picture, the RJ-45 connector starts with pin 8 on the left, and pin 1 on the right. (This can also be figured out by deduction with the above pin listing)
Note some of the RJ-45 wires are connected together.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	sony_rf_adapter_cable.jpg
Views:	320
Size:	243.7 KB
ID:	1463569   Click image for larger version

Name:	XPAND Emitter Connections.jpg
Views:	302
Size:	74.2 KB
ID:	1463601  

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply Digital Hi-End Projectors - $3,000+ USD MSRP

Tags
Sony Vpl Hw55es 3d Projector

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page