Help with projector type and placement - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 7 Old 01-09-2014, 05:01 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 11
Hi
New to the projector technology. Have read a lot on the forums. I am in the process of building a home theater.

Here are some details
room size 20'6" x13'11". height 8 feet. Plan to get a 150 inch diagonal 2.35:1 screen with side blanking panels for CIH projection. I am looking to get a projector with lens memory and motarised zoom so i can watch both 16:9 and 2.35:1 material. Do not care about 3D.

I was looking at the panasonic PT-AE8000U or the JVC DLAX35B.

Are there any other options. also Electrician is getting ready to put the outlet and do low voltage wiring in the ceiling and i have no idea what my projector distance will be. i tried to play with the calculator on projector pros and got more confused.

Can some body please recommend a projector and let me know what the projection distance should be for that projector I would be extremely grateful.
thanks
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 7 Old 01-10-2014, 07:18 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 26 Post(s)
Liked: 77
Try these caclulators:

http://www.projectorcentral.com/JVC-DLA-X35B-projection-calculator-pro.htm
With the X35/RS46 you can project a 150" 2.35:1 image anywhere from 16'2" to 31'5" and you can expect 17FL or 11FL respectively.

http://www.projectorcentral.com/Panasonic-PT-AE8000-projection-calculator-pro.htm
With the AE8000 you can project a 150" 2.35:1 image anywhere from 15'7" to 31'2" and you can expect 16FL or 6FL respectively.

Keep in mind that low/high lamp, best image vs. brightest image settings, etc. will affect the FL numbers considerably.

You really should post a little more about your environment, what you watch and what you want to accomplish.

post #3 of 7 Old 01-10-2014, 07:46 AM - Thread Starter

Thank you so much
I would say 50% movies and 50% tv and sports
The theater room is completely light controlled. The seating distance will be about 17.5 feet .
Goal is to get a really good movie experience
TV and sports would be casual viewing
Probably will not watch 3D. I am willing to reduce screen size if it will improve the brightness . What is the optimal FL that I need to aim for
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 7 Old 01-10-2014, 08:06 AM
Advanced Member

SMPTE says 12-22 for 2.39:1 I believe. It probably better to aim higher as lamps dim over age and you will probably end up with reduced brightness, from the published specs, once the projector is calibrated and/or dialed in. With that size screen I don't think too bright is going to be your problem... but too dim could be. With full light control in the room that will help a lot however.

Search the forums here and read up on it...

Here is one post you can start with that I found:
https://www.avsforum.com/t/1310859/correlating-screen-brightness-fl-to-perceived-brightness-of-real-images#post_19909313

Hang around and read for a bit... I'm sure others will jump in who can help better than I can... I don't have the measurement gear or background to get too deep on the topic.

post #5 of 7 Old 01-11-2014, 02:06 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by walterappleby View Post

SMPTE says 12-22 for 2.39:1 I believe. It probably better to aim higher as lamps dim over age and you will probably end up with reduced brightness, from the published specs, once the projector is calibrated and/or dialed in. With that size screen I don't think too bright is going to be your problem... but too dim could be. With full light control in the room that will help a lot however.

Search the forums here and read up on it...

Here is one post you can start with that I found:
https://www.avsforum.com/t/1310859/correlating-screen-brightness-fl-to-perceived-brightness-of-real-images#post_19909313

Hang around and read for a bit... I'm sure others will jump in who can help better than I can... I don't have the measurement gear or background to get too deep on the topic.

thanks i appreciate the link
I may not be understanding the projector calculator correctly. the JVC DLAX35B mounted at 16 feet will produce a 120inch diagonal 16:9 with a brightness of 24 FL and then zoomed to produce a 150 inch 2.35 with a brightness of 18FL. am i correct
post #6 of 7 Old 01-13-2014, 08:18 AM
Advanced Member

When I use the calculator I get 24 FL for a 120" 16:9 and for 150" 2.35:1 I get 17 FL. Also, I should note that the shortest possible throw, according to this calculator, for the 150" 2.35" in 16'1". You might want to give yourself a little wiggle room and backup to 16'6" or 17'. It won't change your FL numbers much but it will give you a little bit of room to work. It would be a shame to get it all setup and find out you were off by an inch or so and therefore unable to fill your screen with the 2.35:1 image.

You should check the calculator numbers against the manual and if you can set it up as a table mount temporarily and dial in the throw distances in your room before you invert it and put in on the ceiling permanently.

post #7 of 7 Old 01-13-2014, 02:45 PM - Thread Starter

Thanks a lot for that advice
I think 16'6" will work well as it will be between the 2 rows of seats also
Great idea regarding the table mount
Will down load the manual and read it
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply Digital Hi-End Projectors - $3,000+ USD MSRP