Sony HW55es or Stick With My JVC RS46? - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 13 Old 01-16-2014, 06:18 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 53 Post(s)
Liked: 30
Hello. I'm a fool that upgrades (or down grades sometimes) my equipment far too often... just ask my wife. Anyway, I'm drawn to the thought of the Sony 55 because of the Reality Creation combined with my Oppo 103D. I have no complaints with my JVC RS46, but I don't know what I don't know. I watch only 2D, lots of football and movies, via Directv and Oppo.(with Roku USB) I have a good light controlled environment.

The things I value the most in a picture are clarity, i.e. perceived sharpness, contrast, black levels and color accuracy (maybe that's what everyone is concerned with :-). Sometimes when I watch a night football game it seems a little darker than it should... maybe that is the broadcast or maybe I should have a different setting for sports. I don't want to have to perform much in the way of calibrations, I only want to use my Spears & Munsil blu ray.

I have owned the Epson 5020 & Panasonic AE8000. I hated them... both had focus uniformity issues, whites were not exactly white (pink areas), I could see the pixels (13 ft away from 120 inch screen) and I could NOT stand hearing the dynamic iris running (projector is pretty much directly over my head).

So, with that said what do you guys think, stick with my RS46 for now or "upgrade" to the Sony HW55? Can you hear the DI in the Sony, is the perceived contrast better? Thank you for your opinions.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 13 Old 01-16-2014, 06:38 AM
AVS Forum Addicted Member

Mentioned: 159 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 5238 Post(s)
Liked: 5490
that 46 probably needs a good calibration, this gen didn't have any great OOTB gamma settings. for an update, I would sooner look at the 4910 vs. the 55. The JVC's are more naturally sharp, the Sony relies a bit too much on the reality creation for my preferences.

the good news is, these newer JVC's models have a few well behaved OOTB settings so you get a better baseline than what you are seeing now with the 46. The iris works well and is convincing in low light scenes in movies.

with either choice, I wouldn't expect a day/night difference.. when tuned up, the 46 provides a great image. maybe a calibration would be worth considering instead.
post #3 of 13 Old 01-16-2014, 07:13 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by zombie10k View Post

that 46 probably needs a good calibration, this gen didn't have any great OOTB gamma settings. for an update, I would sooner look at the 4910 vs. the 55. The JVC's are more naturally sharp, the Sony relies a bit too much on the reality creation for my preferences.

the good news is, these newer JVC's models have a few well behaved OOTB settings so you get a better baseline than what you are seeing now with the 46. The iris works well and is convincing in low light scenes in movies.

with either choice, I wouldn't expect a day/night difference.. when tuned up, the 46 provides a great image. maybe a calibration would be worth considering instead.

Thanks for the opinion Zoombie. Interesting that you feel that way. I would have to say most published reviews that include a comparison seem to favor the Sony HW50 over my JVC.

I wouldn't have the patients to learn how to calibrate it myself, so I would have to pay someone. I live in northern VA and would have no idea who to trust to perform something like that. If I paid someone, I would want proof that it is more accurate, i.e. the color temps and gamma levels that I see here and in professional reviews.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 13 Old 01-16-2014, 07:59 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 85 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1809 Post(s)
Liked: 1135
Quote:
Originally Posted by tklein2 View Post

Hello. I'm a fool that upgrades (or down grades sometimes) my equipment far too often... just ask my wife. Anyway, I'm drawn to the thought of the Sony 55 because of the Reality Creation combined with my Oppo 103D. I have no complaints with my JVC RS46, but I don't know what I don't know. I watch only 2D, lots of football and movies, via Directv and Oppo.(with Roku USB) I have a good light controlled environment.

The things I value the most in a picture are clarity, i.e. perceived sharpness, contrast, black levels and color accuracy (maybe that's what everyone is concerned with :-). Sometimes when I watch a night football game it seems a little darker than it should... maybe that is the broadcast or maybe I should have a different setting for sports. I don't want to have to perform much in the way of calibrations, I only want to use my Spears & Munsil blu ray.

I have owned the Epson 5020 & Panasonic AE8000. I hated them... both had focus uniformity issues, whites were not exactly white (pink areas), I could see the pixels (13 ft away from 120 inch screen) and I could NOT stand hearing the dynamic iris running (projector is pretty much directly over my head).

So, with that said what do you guys think, stick with my RS46 for now or "upgrade" to the Sony HW55? Can you hear the DI in the Sony, is the perceived contrast better? Thank you for your opinions.

I know this is borderline heresy, but why not just change the gamma to something a bit lighter to enjoy the content? I'm running 2.2 on my RS46 because 2.3 was to dark. I don't have anything beyond some basic calibration discs, but the picture is beautiful. At some point I do want to do a more indepth calibration, but for now the picture, color wise, is very close to what I enjoyed on my previous calibrated projector. The RS46 and the 55ES were 2 that I looked at closely. Both have different strengths, but are in the same league. I'm bothered by dynamic irises as well. I wanted the lens memory for our scope screen. I don't have any interest in 3D. So the RS46 was the better fit for me.

As far as getting a calibration done, look at the more reputable high-end hometheater shops in your area. They usually are able to help out with this. Or just get the picture to where it pleases you and enjoy it.

post #5 of 13 Old 01-16-2014, 09:46 AM - Thread Starter

Most important question for me as far as the Sony HW55 decision goes. Can you hear the dynamic iris running? Does anyone know the answer to that question? It was very noticeable to me with the Epson and Panasonic.
post #6 of 13 Old 01-16-2014, 10:29 AM

Mentioned: 232 Post(s)
Quoted: 11822 Post(s)
Liked: 9353
Send a message via Skype™ to Mike Garrett
Quote:
Originally Posted by tklein2 View Post

Most important question for me as far as the Sony HW55 decision goes. Can you hear the dynamic iris running? Does anyone know the answer to that question? It was very noticeable to me with the Epson and Panasonic.

You will not hear the dynamic iris on the Sony.
post #7 of 13 Old 01-16-2014, 03:57 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 11
I second that, it's silent
post #8 of 13 Old 01-16-2014, 04:04 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 21
can you hear the jvc 4910 iris?
post #9 of 13 Old 01-16-2014, 05:29 PM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
i choose JVC RS46 over 55 for better black and native contrast.
post #10 of 13 Old 01-16-2014, 08:08 PM

Quoted: 24 Post(s)
Liked: 31
Instead of buying another projector, why not take some of that funding and buy a Lumagen Mini 3D, a meter and either Chromapure or Calman with auto-calibrate?

My previous projector was the RS40. I first bought just the meter and Chromapure and was able to dial in a very nice picture. One thing I noticed in all the hours I tinkered with the RS40 is the more dialed in Gamma was, the more fluid and film like the image became. Meaning less and less blur from panel refresh. This also carried over to my new projector.

In my quest to get the most out of my projector I bought the Lumagen and the advanced auto-calibrate for Chromapure. I now have a RS4910 and with the VP, meter and software together gives me a stunning picture.

I know you said you do not want to mess with anything more than your calibration disc. Using a meter would require a little more work, but the payoff at the end is more than worth it. The initial adjustments on the projector are not much more than using your disc. Once those are set, you hit "go" on the auto calibrate and come back in about 30 minutes.

You say you want accurate color.. the 125 point color correction with Chromapure gives you that.

The meter and software will cost you about the same as one professional calibration. The Lumagen Mini is way less than a projector and can be used on future projectors. Once you get a good calibration, you'll only need to touch things up every now and then as the lamp ages.

Just some food for thought...
post #11 of 13 Old 01-16-2014, 08:28 PM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 13
So with a Lumagen and auto-calibrate of Chromapure. I don't need to spend hours and hours to learn how to calibrate? What's a good meter?
post #12 of 13 Old 01-17-2014, 02:54 AM

Quoted: 26 Post(s)
Liked: 11
You can check the web site of Chromapure and SpectraCal, they provide packages meter with software. i1pro 2 with i1 dispaly pro suppose the best recommand meter.
I have the same question with you, but I already sold my X70 due to the gamunt & colormapping connection issue from design defect.
I am considering HW55 & X500. The difference is $1000, hard for me.
post #13 of 13 Old 01-17-2014, 09:59 AM

Mentioned: 14 Post(s)
Quoted: 1819 Post(s)
Liked: 631
Quote:
Originally Posted by zombie10k View Post

After your comments in the other threads I'm surprised you're not more effusive about the blacks of the new JVC's; at least worth "a dusk and night difference."

Noah
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply Digital Hi-End Projectors - $3,000+ USD MSRP

Tags
Jvc Dla Rs46 Projector , Sony Vpl Hw55es 3d Projector

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page