What are or were the best LCD, DLP, LCOS projectors for 2D picture quality? - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 11 Old 01-19-2014, 05:56 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 12

What are the best projectors of each of the different technologies?

Are the technologies all continuing to improve? Or have some technologies peaked lost the battle to be best and now compete on price at the expense of worse performance than previously achieved by the tech?

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 11 Old 01-19-2014, 05:59 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 264 Post(s)
Liked: 240
post #3 of 11 Old 01-19-2014, 06:28 AM - Thread Starter

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 12
Quote:
Originally Posted by ultra 150 pilot View Post

http://www.projectorreviews.com

I think they are using value for money as their criteria and as well as 2D picture quality be taking into account other factors. The top of their list are LCD Epson Home Cinema 5030 UB, LCOS Sony VPL-HW55ES, DLP BenQ W1070. 

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 11 Old 01-22-2014, 12:13 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quoted: 38 Post(s)
Liked: 88
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark77771 View Post

I think they are using value for money as their criteria and as well as 2D picture quality be taking into account other factors. The top of their list are LCD Epson Home Cinema 5030 UB, LCOS Sony VPL-HW55ES, DLP BenQ W1070. 

If you're looking for the very best of these technologies in cost-no-object units, I'd suggest you post in the $20K+ section. There's lots of discussion there about the ultra premium 2D units.

The Esquire Theater Construction Thread:
https://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showthread.php?t=1289590
post #5 of 11 Old 01-22-2014, 12:57 PM

Mentioned: 48 Post(s)
Quoted: 5167 Post(s)
Liked: 2593
This topic is extremely debatable and dependent on price range. Typically, most people are looking to buy a projector in the under $10000 price range. So if we stick to that and to units that are currently being sold I would say:

DLP - Runco LS-5

LCoS - JVC DLA-X700

3LCD - Epson 6030

As far as technologies being improved, LCoS is probably the only technology being innovated on year to year basis. You could make the argument that TI still does R&D on it's DMDs but that's only for the very cheap, smaller .65" DMDs. They haven't done any R&D on their enthusiast consumer .95" DMD in a number of years so we haven't seen much improvement in higher end DLP projectors that have come out recently. This is why a now 6 year old design, the Planar PD8150 now being sold as the Runco LS-5, is still the cream of the crop when it comes to DLP in the under $10000 market. It still hold it's own against most LCoS projectors but it's starting to show it's age. Epson hasn't really made a ton of improvements to it's LCD panels for a number of years either. LCD doesn't seem to have much room left for improvement because it's been around for so long and I think it's safe to say we're seeing close to max performance from that technology.

I personally would like to see some effort on TI's part to further improve their enthusiast .95" DMD. If they could boost native contrast to something like 5000:1 it could become a serious competitor to LCoS again. TI also needs to help manufacturers design light paths that make their DMD's the most effiecient when it comes to contrast and light output. TI has come out with a few white papers on such topics but they don't really seem to help most manufacturers because most don't reach the potential on/off contrast perfomance of the DMD in use. This makes DLP as a technology look more flawed than it actually is. Look at Sim2, they can get native on/off contrast ratios of 7000-8000:1 where most other higher end companies using DLP can only muster 2500:1. Obviously some companies need help to master the technology. It would be nice if they could stand by their product a little bit better.
Mark77771 likes this.
post #6 of 11 Old 01-22-2014, 03:43 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 981 Post(s)
Liked: 993
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark77771 View Post

Not exactly correct - the top rated home theater projector, overall, that we have reviewed at Projector Reviews is the Sony VPL-VW1000ES (LCoS) with a $25K list price. The new Sony VW600ES and the JVC DILA models are clearly the tops for LCOS across the mid-priced up thru the moderately high-end price ranges (e.g., $4K to $15K) for home theater projectors. For DLP the expensive 3-chip projectors are clearly the top-tier but projector reviews generally reviews the more mainstream single chip DLP projectors while in the past two or three years the Sharp XV-Z30000, along with the Benq W7000, were considered the best mainstream DLP modes in the $2K - $2.5K range (discounted street price). However, a few of the more expensive DLP models have been also reviewed, such as the SIM2 Nero 3D-2, Runco LS-10D For 3LCD basically the Epson 5030 and 6030 along with the Panasonic PT-AE8000 models are the consumer-orient 3LCD models of choice.

You are correct that Projector Reviews does tend to compare the performance of a given projector against other projectors in that same price range since most readers considering a $2K projector will not be seriously interested in a $20K projector as a viable alternative.
Mark77771 likes this.

Ron Jones
Blog + Reviews + Articles: projectorreviews.com
post #7 of 11 Old 01-22-2014, 03:50 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 203 Post(s)
Liked: 145
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ron Jones View Post

Not exactly correct - the top rated home theater projector, overall, that we have reviewed at Projector Reviews is the Sony VPL-VW1000ES (LCoS) with a $25K list price. The new Sony VW600ES and the JVC DILA models are clearly the tops for LCOS across the mid to higher end price ranges for home theater projectors. For DLP the expensive 3-chip projectors are clearly the top-tier but projector reviews generally reviews the more mainstream single chip DLP projectors while in the past couple of years the Sharp XV-Z30000 (along with the Benq W7000) was probably been consider the best mainstream DLP model. However, a few of the more expensive DLP models have been also reviewed, such as the SIM2 Nero 3D-2, Runco LS-10D For 3LCD basically the Epson 5030 and 6030 along with the Panasonic PT-AE8000 models are consumer-orient models of choice.

Your are correct that Projector Reviews does tend to compare the performance of a given projector against other projectors in that same price range since most readers considering a $2K projector will not be seriously interested in a $20K projector as a viable alternative.

What about the DPI M Vision Cine 1000 LED in the upper end of the single chip DLP projectors? I haven't seen any reviews. Do you have any review planned? I like the LED light engine.
post #8 of 11 Old 01-22-2014, 04:05 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 981 Post(s)
Liked: 993
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jon Middleton View Post

What about the DPI M Vision Cine 1000 LED in the upper end of the single chip DLP projectors? I haven't seen any reviews. Do you have any review planned? I like the LED light engine.

I haven't heard from Art if DPI has offered to provide one for review, or not. Art and I did see the Cine 1000 LED at CEDIA in Sept., and unlike some others here on AVS Forum, I was not all that impressed by the overall picture quality of Cine 1000 considering its in the same price range as the lamp-based Sony VW600ES and the JVC RS6710 projectors that I had seen very impressive images from earlier that same day. This was just my initial impressions in a trade show demo environment and certainly not a comparison using the same source material in a direct side-by-side comparison.

Ron Jones
Blog + Reviews + Articles: projectorreviews.com
post #9 of 11 Old 01-22-2014, 04:35 PM

Many of the current LED units including the Runco Q750i, NuVision ProVu P2, Digital Projection M-Vision Cine LED, Digital Projection Cine 1000 LED, and Vivitek H9080FD all use the same Delta light engine, optics and the excellent Gennum GF9450 video processing board that the Runco LS-5 uses. I can confirm after owning the Planar PD8150 and NuVision ProVu P2 that the image quality between these LED and lamp based units is almost identical. Black level and contrast is visually better (by a small but noticeable amount) on the lamp based LS-5/PD8150. Not to take any of the spotlight off of these excellent LED units, but if you want slightly better overall PQ definitely look into the Runco LS-5 instead. It's roughly half the cost of these LED units, brighter, has more contrast and a darker black level, has a better DI implementation, comes D65 calibrated, and has a smaller physical footprint. Not to mention lamp life is quite long with a slow decay in brightness.
Verbow likes this.
post #10 of 11 Old 01-24-2014, 05:36 PM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 25 Post(s)
Liked: 23
Is there a technical reason why these delta light engine clines could not be updated to do 3d? Is it ti' DMD?
post #11 of 11 Old 01-24-2014, 05:58 PM

Nope, not the DMD. It's because they all use the older Gennum GF9450 video processor and even though it's amazing for 2D processing unfortunately they can't handle 3D. Plus the inputs are HDMI 1.3 only. They'd have to opt for a different processing solution and inputs.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply Digital Hi-End Projectors - $3,000+ USD MSRP

Tags
Epson 5030ub 2d 3d 1080p 3lcd Projector , Sony Vpl Hw55es 3d Projector

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page