Projector Dilemma - Epson vs JVC - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 5 Old 01-19-2014, 02:05 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
It has been a while since I have posted here but I lurk a lot. I am finishing out my basement and decided on a projector. I had settled on the JVC DLA-X35 based on the excellent reviews and 2D performance.

However, yesterday I got an offer that has but some doubt on my decision. My local dealer has an unused/new Epson 5020 and offered it to me for $1700. The best deal I have found on the X35 (RS46) is $2899. Between a new Epson 5030 and the JVC I prefer the 2D and lens shift of the JVC.

Do you guys/gals think the 5020 price is fair? Do you think the X35 is worth the extra $1100 over the Epson? Does the Epson 5020 suffer from any issues I need to be aware of - Rainbows?

Here are my stats.

- 120" 16:9 - Carada screen is my current thought.
- Seating position 11-14'
- Mounting of the projector to ceiling
- Throw distance about between 13-16' if I understand the calculator correctly.

Usage:
60% - FIOS TV/Movies/ Sports
20% - Some DVD/BluRay
20% - Some Xbox One
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 5 Old 01-22-2014, 02:50 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 969 Post(s)
Liked: 992
Quote:
Originally Posted by spryguy View Post

It has been a while since I have posted here but I lurk a lot. I am finishing out my basement and decided on a projector. I had settled on the JVC DLA-X35 based on the excellent reviews and 2D performance.

However, yesterday I got an offer that has but some doubt on my decision. My local dealer has an unused/new Epson 5020 and offered it to me for $1700. The best deal I have found on the X35 (RS46) is $2899. Between a new Epson 5030 and the JVC I prefer the 2D and lens shift of the JVC.

Do you guys/gals think the 5020 price is fair? Do you think the X35 is worth the extra $1100 over the Epson? Does the Epson 5020 suffer from any issues I need to be aware of - Rainbows?

Here are my stats.

- 120" 16:9 - Carada screen is my current thought.
- Seating position 11-14'
- Mounting of the projector to ceiling
- Throw distance about between 13-16' if I understand the calculator correctly.

Usage:
60% - FIOS TV/Movies/ Sports
20% - Some DVD/BluRay
20% - Some Xbox One

$1700 for the Epson 5020 is a very good deal for a new unit. Both the X35 and 5020 are good projectors with the JVC having a slight edge for 2D viewing and the Epson having a significant advantage for 3D viewing. The JVC has a better native contrast ratio while the Epson uses a dynamic iris to achieve its very good black levels and overall high contrast. You can on occasion find a "B Stock" JVC RS45 for under $2,000 but if you are looking at near $3K price for the JVC vs. $1.7K for the Epson then the Epson will offer more bang for the buck. By the way I have owned both a 5020 and an earlier version of the JVC (RS40 that offers similar performance to the X35).

Only single chip DLP projectors suffer from the Rainbow effect, so that potential issue does not apply to either JVC or Epson projectors. When viewed up close to the screen the image from the Epson will show the pixel structure (i.e., screen door effect) a little further back from the screen than will be JVC, but this is not visible at a normal viewing distance.

I suggest you check out the Best Home Theater Projectors Report for 2013 - HERE. The Epson 5020 is discussed in HERE and the JVC X35 is discussed HERE.

Also the full reviews of the Epson 5020 is HERE and the JVC X35 is HERE.

Ron Jones
Blog + Reviews + Articles: projectorreviews.com
post #3 of 5 Old 01-23-2014, 07:38 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 197 Post(s)
Liked: 96
I have the x30/RS45 but sold the Epson 8700ub which is inferior to the 5020. I found the iris very annoying, especially the noise. Sony has a much more sophisticated iris. Bottom line, I found LCD picture in general more inferior, unless you never saw either the Sony or JVC.

As for the price, that is excellent, unless you can find a B-stock x35 with warranty but would still cost at least $600 more. Once you biught the Epson, do not ever come back to this forum and lurk, or you'll regret it.

To me, it is a great vice to have.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 5 Old 01-26-2014, 05:29 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Thanks for the responses guys. I checked out a couple of these projectors setup and ended up going with the JVC. Ultimately I liked the memory and contrast more that the high lumen.

Thanks guys. I am sure I will have some setup questions but appreciate the comments!
post #5 of 5 Old 01-27-2014, 02:07 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 20 Post(s)
Quoted: 1983 Post(s)
Liked: 1883
wow, I'm almost glad i didn't find a price on the 5020 like that when i was looking. best i could get was dealer cost through a friend at 2500(yes, I'm in Canada, land of expensive electronics)

at that price(which is close to what the 3020 was selling for actually) i probably would have caved and not gotten the jvc x35. which probably would have been a shame, because i love the jvc so much

still, that Epson would have been a great value as it's also a very good projector from all the reviews I've read
raullopez1234 likes this.

Displays: Samsung PN64F8500/JVC X35
AVR: Pioneer VSX-1130K, 7.1/5.1.2 audio
Sources: HTPC, PS3, XBOX360, Wii
Control: Harmony One
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply Digital Hi-End Projectors - $3,000+ USD MSRP

Tags
Jvc Dla X35 3d Hd Front Projector , Epson 5020ub Powerlite Home Cinema 3d Front Projector

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page