Epson 4K (enhancement) e-shift laser projector....!!!!!! - Page 130 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 
 1598Likes

post #3871 of 4897 Old 01-27-2017, 02:41 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 475 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 6791 Post(s)
Liked: 6418
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bandyka View Post
I'll be able to quote on this very soon when my new JVC arrives.
I look forward to it,

With regards to Gravity, which you seemed especially impressed with on the JVC, what was it? Contrast? Depth etc?

I'm remembering we watched that clip in iris-0 high lamp I think, so that means it would have been about 23k:1 in my current throw... hoping the 9500 can take that up to over 30-35k:1 wide open iris.

JVC X9500 (RS620) | 120" 16:9 | Marantz AV7702 MkII | Emotiva XPA-7 | DIY Modular Towers | DIY TPL-150 Surrounds | DIY Atmos | DIY 18" Subs
-
MadVR Settings | UHD Waveform Analysis | Arve Tool Instructions + V3 Javs Curves
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #3872 of 4897 Old 01-27-2017, 02:58 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 79 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2327 Post(s)
Liked: 1422
Quote:
Originally Posted by Javs View Post
I look forward to it,

With regards to Gravity, which you seemed especially impressed with on the JVC, what was it? Contrast? Depth etc?

I'm remembering we watched that clip in iris-0 high lamp I think, so that means it would have been about 23k:1 in my current throw... hoping the 9500 can take that up to over 30-35k:1 wide open iris.
Yes, the extra contrast seems to have given it even more depth. Not that 3D lacks depth on the LS.

JVC RS620/X9500 in bat cave Anthem MRX-720 + 3xpower amps = 7.1.4, Martin Logan Motion 60XT fronts, ML FX rears, ML Motion 50XT centre, 4 x ML Motion 2 on ceiling Atmos, ML Balanced force 210 as the beast. Panasonic UB900, STAX-3170 earspeakers, HTPC, PS4, PS3, Amiga 500 etc..Epson LS10000 calibration and WCG SDR settings: https://www.avsforum.com/forum/24-dig...l#post50298297
post #3873 of 4897 Old 01-27-2017, 03:08 PM
AVS Forum Addicted Member

Mentioned: 232 Post(s)
Quoted: 11828 Post(s)
Liked: 9358
Send a message via Skype™ to Mike Garrett
Quote:
Originally Posted by Spygg View Post
Welcome to the club!
Here's som other bluray suggestions for you; Chappie, Oblivion, Django Unchained, Skyfall, any Pixar movie...

Don't forget to try the LS10K's fantastic 3D capabilities as well - I recommend Star Wars - The Force Awakens 3D, Gravity 3D, The Good Dinosaur 3D(and every other Pixar movie aswell)

...but you know - you can get it to shine even MORE quality wise, by feeding real 4K/UHD material to it - preferably from an UHD player. I just bought the Panasonic DMP-UB700 (which has the exact same video quality as it's bigger sibling UB900), and I'm BLOWN AWAY by the quality - even if I'm not using the HDFury to get BT2020 yet! And on regular bluray it outshines my old beloved Oppo BDP-103, which is a REALLY good player.
The LS10000 is not LCD. It is LCOQ. A reflective technology like LCOS, except using Quartz. Yes the B-stock LS10000 is a great deal.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #3874 of 4897 Old 01-28-2017, 02:15 AM

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 105 Post(s)
Liked: 34
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike Garrett View Post
The LS10000 is not LCD. It is LCOQ. A reflective technology like LCOS, except using Quartz. Yes the B-stock LS10000 is a great deal.
I've never said that the LS10000 is a LCD projector...

/Spygg
post #3875 of 4897 Old 01-28-2017, 06:00 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 9 Post(s)
Liked: 1
Quote:
I'll be able to quote on this very soon when my new JVC arrives.
My comment about 300 hours was a generalization. It was about aging of the bulb for light output. The image quality as far as ghosting doesn't seem to be affected on the JVC. I do have a very small amount of flicker in 3D with the LS-10k though. But much better than a Sony HW-50 that I use for backup. I think it might be because of the old Steward 1.4 gain screen I have from the CRT days.
post #3876 of 4897 Old 01-28-2017, 06:12 AM
AVS Forum Addicted Member

Mentioned: 232 Post(s)
Quoted: 11828 Post(s)
Liked: 9358
Send a message via Skype™ to Mike Garrett
Quote:
Originally Posted by Spygg View Post
I've never said that the LS10000 is a LCD projector...
Sorry, I quoted the wrong person. It was Fraza that called it LCD.
post #3877 of 4897 Old 01-28-2017, 06:59 AM

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 105 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike Garrett View Post
Sorry, I quoted the wrong person. It was Fraza that called it LCD.
No probs!

/Spygg
post #3878 of 4897 Old 01-28-2017, 02:30 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by 35mm old guy View Post
My comment about 300 hours was a generalization. It was about aging of the bulb for light output. The image quality as far as ghosting doesn't seem to be affected on the JVC. I do have a very small amount of flicker in 3D with the LS-10k though. But much better than a Sony HW-50 that I use for backup. I think it might be because of the old Steward 1.4 gain screen I have from the CRT days.
I just passed 930 hours on my JVC, and I have lost maybe 1fl. Pretty sure its less than that actually.
DavidHir likes this.

JVC X9500 (RS620) | 120" 16:9 | Marantz AV7702 MkII | Emotiva XPA-7 | DIY Modular Towers | DIY TPL-150 Surrounds | DIY Atmos | DIY 18" Subs
-
MadVR Settings | UHD Waveform Analysis | Arve Tool Instructions + V3 Javs Curves
post #3879 of 4897 Old 01-28-2017, 05:28 PM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 45 Post(s)
Liked: 20
All,

I just got my LS10K a few days ago and tonight I attempted to calibrate the projector using the xRite I1 Pro and Calman 5 and it came out horrible, the worse Cal I've ever done. I'm a novice at calibrating but this was bad on a whole other level. Everything came out looking yellowish green. During the RGB balance I had to take Red Offset down to -19 and push Green up to +30 and Blue down to -30 to get balance on the 80 IRE pattern, this can't be right.

Are we allowed to discuss calibration specific to the LS10K in this thread because I really need help with this projector. This is my first LCD projector and I normally own DLP PJ and have never had this kind of bad result after a calibration.

Any input would be appreciated or if there is another thread specifically discussing calibrating the LS10K please advise. I think I will try my copy of Chromapure to see if I get the same results.

Andre
post #3880 of 4897 Old 01-28-2017, 05:49 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 34 Post(s)
Quoted: 1302 Post(s)
Liked: 1053
Maybe the meter isn't able to read the laser wavelength - I think it has to be able to measure 5nm or less. But that's just a guess.

Quote:
Originally Posted by elmalloc
Who says Cameron is "right" and why do we care about him so much - lol!

I trust Gary Lightfoot more than James Cameron.
post #3881 of 4897 Old 01-28-2017, 06:24 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fraza View Post
All,

I just got my LS10K a few days ago and tonight I attempted to calibrate the projector using the xRite I1 Pro and Calman 5 and it came out horrible, the worse Cal I've ever done. I'm a novice at calibrating but this was bad on a whole other level. Everything came out looking yellowish green. During the RGB balance I had to take Red Offset down to -19 and push Green up to +30 and Blue down to -30 to get balance on the 80 IRE pattern, this can't be right.

Are we allowed to discuss calibration specific to the LS10K in this thread because I really need help with this projector. This is my first LCD projector and I normally own DLP PJ and have never had this kind of bad result after a calibration.

Any input would be appreciated or if there is another thread specifically discussing calibrating the LS10K please advise. I think I will try my copy of Chromapure to see if I get the same results.

Andre
I'll be posting some general calibration/settings info very shortly. I am getting heaps of messages so will answer them all here. Your meter is fine.
abs likes this.

JVC RS620/X9500 in bat cave Anthem MRX-720 + 3xpower amps = 7.1.4, Martin Logan Motion 60XT fronts, ML FX rears, ML Motion 50XT centre, 4 x ML Motion 2 on ceiling Atmos, ML Balanced force 210 as the beast. Panasonic UB900, STAX-3170 earspeakers, HTPC, PS4, PS3, Amiga 500 etc..Epson LS10000 calibration and WCG SDR settings: https://www.avsforum.com/forum/24-dig...l#post50298297
post #3882 of 4897 Old 01-28-2017, 07:20 PM

Well it's been so long since I calibrated a PJ, that I pretty much forgot what equipment I had. My old calibration laptop bit the dust so I had to load Chromapure and Calman 5 on my wife's laptop. I have two meters, xRite I1 Display purchased from Tom at Chromapure back in the day and an older xRite I1Pro Rev D. I totally forgot to install the xRite driver on my wife's laptop and this may have cause the problems with my initial calibration.

Now that I have the drivers installed Calman 5 is recognizing both my meters which means I can profile my I1Display against the I1Pro and maybe get better results.

It's going to be a long Saturday night.

By the way can anyone advise the best method for using the custom gamma graph. Do I utilize a greyscale ramp pattern, I just can't see to think of the best method to adjust my gamma using the graph. I've never had this style of gamma adjustment.

The Lumagen XE with it's AutoCal really spoiled me and not I'm back to having to do things manually Yuk

Thanks

Andre
post #3883 of 4897 Old 01-28-2017, 07:31 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

LS 10000 general settings and calibration for WCG.

I've been getting lots of messages daily asking about general picture settings/calibration/WCG settings etc so by popular demand I'll just post my findings here instead of replying to everyone as it takes a lot of time to do so one by one. I sold my LS a couple of days ago and forgot to take photos of the final settings I ended up using so the ones below are older but I am quite sure they are close to the final settings (I hope these are the right ones). I will try to get in touch with new owner and ask him to take some photos.

Please do note: these are my settings that worked for me very well, I am no pro so not claiming any of these are correct and on that basis it may not work for you at all or you may not agree or they may not be 100% accurate or perhaps they are spot on (it is for those who are new to the LS and or calibration space not for you advanced users so please don't start debating you may ignore it entirely I am simply answering the queries I received) it mostly depends on your room, screen, throw distance and the individual projector you have. Remember the biggest improvement will come from treating your room it can have the biggest impact on contrast and general picture quality, my settings are based on my room which is fully blacked out meaning walls, carpet, ceiling, everything I can't see my own hands during the day.
Also if you are on an older firmware you may want to update to the latest one as you may be surprised how much more performance you can squeeze out of your LS, notably brighter 3D, better motion, improved 4K enhancement, more accurate lens shift memory, etc..

For starters I recommend you start with getting a free software such as HCFR as it has all the tools you need and the learning curve is not as step as some more advanced ones such as Chromapure. I am not going to detail how the calibration is done as there are other threads for that and I assume you know the basics.

The LS is pretty damn good out of the box but of course a good calibration can take it to the next level.

I used THX mode to do the calibration on as I found that to be the closest to my liking some will prefer Natural mode.

On my 120" 1.1 gain screen I set the laser to mid mode this gave me about 13-14ftl after calibration which is pretty good.
I set the Iris to minus 5, I found this to be the sweet spot as going one step down to -6 starts to dim the laser too much this one step between -5 and -6 seems to be nearly as big as 0 to -5 for some reason, it could just be my unit but from memory all 3 PJ I had were pretty much the same.

So once this was set I did the calibration and got nearly flat gamma at 2.4 depending on your preference. Greyscale was averaging at about 0.6 delta error and colors were near perfect.
For Greyscale only a few clicks of adjustment were required see photo (do hope this is the right one but it seems so).
Blue is dominant due the nature of the laser.

RGB for greyscale:

[IMG][/IMG]

Rec709 THX Cinema:

[IMG][/IMG]

Here is the popular one, Wide Color Gamut mode.:

[IMG][/IMG]

The LS can do a pretty awesome 103% of DCI but it needs a full manual calibration.
This one can be tricky if you are new to the LS it took me a few rounds to get it tracking reasonably well and I may have done it wrong anyway but it seems to be correct to eye witnesses and compared to othe PJ with native BT2020 mode. HCFR has the tools you need for this exercise. Below are my settings (this I hope again is the right photo but from memeroy it should be), again this should be only taken as a baseline as it will vary unit by unit. Obviously you need to engage the filter on the PJ which you do by turning on Digital Cinema mode, again for this mode I used mid laser and -5 iris position this works well but for some darker movies high laser mode is recommended, luckily due to the laser engine, changing light mode does not seem to affect color temperature or greyscale much.
Skin tone is a little tricky and needs to be changed, I am pretty sure I adjusted the slider for WCG all the way to the left to achieve 6500K.

Important: save your settings into one of the memory slots once you are happy as if you change source it may lose the settings you have just set and you can start all over. This applies in general not just Digital Cinema mode I found the LS to be weird as it seems to apply picture modes based on source but often not the same mode that was previously set by me on that particular source so it's always good to simply reload the desired calibrated memory setting for that particular source you are using, also if you are using a PC to calibrate for WCG but you are using a UHD player to test when you switch over to the player you may not see your calibrated mode so DO save every time when you you adjust something and reload once you changed sources .

3D.

For 3D I simply entered the same calibrated color setting I used for THX mode and saved it as 3D THX. This seem to have worked well but I never validated these settings. The LS should have very minimal x talk so if you do notice some go into 3D setup and adjust the 3D depth slider until you are happy.

1080p vs 4K

I left it for last as most of you already know that the LS is capable of some exceptional sharp image reproduction however to get the best out of it you must feed 4K/2160p to it, the benefit of this is huge compared to a normal 1080p source. When you feed native UHD the 4K enhancement is automatically engaged without any additional processing and this produces some very sharp images that can come very close to native 4K from normal viewing distances, another positive and unexpected side effect of this is lower lag for gaming, due to the reduced background processing gaming response seems to be much quicker than in normal 1080p mode with processing on (this is the same on JVC e-shift.). If you must feed it 1080p sources the 4K-1 or 4K-2 modes are pretty good for upscaling but will never be as good as a native 4K source and it does introduce higher lag and some image noise making it look more digital looking and overall softer IMO.

I have remeasured at 250, 400, and 650 hours and I noticed minimal shifting which was most likely due to incorrect/different meter placement. If you use lens shift frequently you may want to readjust focus after about 10 or so shifts, I found the lens memory the best and most precise out all projectors I have owned but it still loses focus after a while.

I'll add to this when more things come to mind.

I hope this helps guys. Feel free to PM me if you have any more questions.

EDIT: forgot to mention gamma needed to be adjusted to -2 in the DC mode to achieve 2.4 flat. (could have been +2 sorry I can't remember but I know it had to be adjusted to one extreme of the scale)
FrankLeene likes this.

Last edited by Bandyka; 02-03-2017 at 03:44 AM.
post #3884 of 4897 Old 01-28-2017, 07:52 PM

Bandyka, your the man!!!......Thank you so much for taking the time to post your settings and also for the informative post. I'm new to the LS10K but realize this projector has great penitential. I plan to spend time getting to know this beauty but having a starting point is great and I for one will be plugging in your settings as soon as I finish typing this post.

I do have one question for you or any of the other LS10K owners.

After thinking about my old shelved Lumagen XE, I think I can use it since right now I don't have any 4K sources. I think I will run all my 1080p sources into the Lumagen and the send the HDMI out from the Lumage to my Denon x4200 which has 4K and 2.0 HDMI out to my LS10K. This would allow me to use AutoCal and the 3D Lut capability of my Lumagen XE.

What do you think?

Andre
post #3885 of 4897 Old 01-28-2017, 08:20 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Bandyka, your the man!!!......Thank you so much for taking the time to post your settings and also for the informative post. I'm new to the LS10K but realize this projector has great penitential. I plan to spend time getting to know this beauty but having a starting point is great and I for one will be plugging in your settings as soon as I finish typing this post.

I do have one question for you or any of the other LS10K owners.

After thinking about my old shelved Lumagen XE, I think I can use it since right now I don't have any 4K sources. I think I will run all my 1080p sources into the Lumagen and the send the HDMI out from the Lumage to my Denon x4200 which has 4K and 2.0 HDMI out to my LS10K. This would allow me to use AutoCal and the 3D Lut capability of my Lumagen XE.

What do you think?

Andre
No worries, I just do hope those are the correct screen shots. I think you should give the Lumagen a try in lieu of 4K sources you have nothing to lose. Please report back so I know those settings are correct but they should be.

post #3886 of 4897 Old 01-28-2017, 09:01 PM

Ok, after inputting Bandyka's setting and watching Prometheus, I noticed the scenes had more depth and allot more coloration. The colors aboard the spaceship just really POP and everything just seemed more accurate then what I had before.

I'm seeing allot more minuscule details in the movie which had not noticed before when I watched this movie with the OOTB setting. I plan to run a cal against these setting to see how close they are with my screen and HT.

By the way I also have a Bat Cave setup with a 120" dia. AT 1.0 gain screen so pretty close to what Bandyka has in his setup.

Andre
post #3887 of 4897 Old 01-28-2017, 09:03 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Good to hear, yes that Prometheus scene is one of my favorites as well.

post #3888 of 4897 Old 01-28-2017, 09:15 PM

Bandyka,

Quick question, I'm using Calman 5 to check your setting against my PJ, when you say WCG are you talking about a REC.2020 UHD colorspace with a BT.1886 gamma? I need to set this information in the Calman setup menu so it knows what my target are.

So basically should I use Rec.709 or Rec.2020 and what gamma are we trying to hit 2.2, 2.4, 2.6 or something else?

Andre

Quote:
Good to hear, yes that Prometheus scene is one of my favorites as well.
post #3889 of 4897 Old 01-28-2017, 09:26 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Bandyka,

Quick question, I'm using Calman 5 to check your setting against my PJ, when you say WCG are you talking about a REC.2020 UHD colorspace with a BT.1886 gamma? I need to set this information in the Calman setup menu so it knows what my target are.

So basically should I use Rec.709 or Rec.2020 and what gamma are we trying to hit 2.2, 2.4, 2.6 or something else?

Andre
Correct, it's SDR WCG so gamma remains the same and the target is 2.4 but by WCG I meant Rec 2020 in Digital Cinema mode. Note my EDIT note in the post for WCG gamma. We are talking about Digital Cinema mode here only.

post #3890 of 4897 Old 01-28-2017, 09:30 PM

OK, got it, thanks

Quote:
Correct, it's SDR WCG so gamma remains the same and the target is 2.4 but by WCG I meant Rec 2020 in Digital Cinema mode. Note my EDIT note in the post for WCG gamma. We are talking about Digital Cinema mode here only.
post #3891 of 4897 Old 01-28-2017, 09:39 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Ok, after inputting Bandyka's setting and watching Prometheus, I noticed the scenes had more depth and allot more coloration. The colors aboard the spaceship just really POP and everything just seemed more accurate then what I had before.

I'm seeing allot more minuscule details in the movie which had not noticed before when I watched this movie with the OOTB setting. I plan to run a cal against these setting to see how close they are with my screen and HT.

By the way I also have a Bat Cave setup with a 120" dia. AT 1.0 gain screen so pretty close to what Bandyka has in his setup.

Andre
Why on earth are you using his settings for a film which does not have wide colour gamut?

You are basically taking colour saturation and dialling it to 11.

-
post #3892 of 4897 Old 01-28-2017, 09:43 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Why on earth are you using his settings for a film which does not have wide colour gamut?

You are basically taking colour saturation and dialling it to 11.
Yes forgot to ask if you were using this for normal bluray?

post #3893 of 4897 Old 01-28-2017, 09:44 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Yes forgot to ask if you were using this for normal bluray?
Prometheus is not released on UHD so yes it would be.

-
post #3894 of 4897 Old 01-28-2017, 09:47 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Prometheus is not released on UHD so yes it would be.
Understand that but he didn't say if he was using the WCG settings for that movie, so I assumed he was going to setup Rec2020 for UHD only, let's wait for his response first. I thought he fixed his greyscale by the first screenshot only.

post #3895 of 4897 Old 01-28-2017, 11:23 PM

Gents,

I was busy trying to calibrate the projector but yes you guys are correct, I'm using a normal bluray. It's 1am now and I've had enough for tonight. I'll start over tomorrow by first installing my Lumagen XE and run the Autocal.

I like the way Bandyka setting made the Prometheus look even if it's not accurate. I like a slightly over saturated look so no harm no foul. I find REC.709 kind of dull and lifeless but I also like Hot Sauce on my Sardines so I guess that makes me kind strange.

Good night

Andre
Javs likes this.
post #3896 of 4897 Old 01-29-2017, 12:42 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Quoted: 231 Post(s)
Liked: 135
Hello everyone,

since I read so much good things about upscaling I bought a used HDfury Linker to give it a try. I will eventually upgrade to the Oppo 203 etc.

I think it does a decent job and I immediatly noticed an increase in PQ on my 133" Da-Lite HP screen.

The fringing is caused by CA I assume, it is only visible with my nose on the screen. Should I bother with panel alignement or is the PJ not positioned correctly?

Here are some pictures for exreme pixel peeping but they are coming from my Note 3 so not the best quality.

http://imgur.com/a/syDGQ

http://imgur.com/a/RYs8H

Sharpness pattern is this one: http://hometheaterphotos.com/project..._pattern_1.jpg

Thanks,
N.
post #3897 of 4897 Old 01-29-2017, 06:16 AM
abs

Quoted: 107 Post(s)
Liked: 29
Quote:
All,

Andre
Have a look at the avforums you tube video where they set it up. .I've been using their settings end haven't looked back.

Sent from my SM-N910F using Tapatalk
Moninder likes this.
post #3898 of 4897 Old 01-29-2017, 07:06 AM

Quoted: 55 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nima View Post
Hello everyone,

The fringing is caused by CA I assume, it is only visible with my nose on the screen. Should I bother with panel alignement or is the PJ not positioned correctly?

Thanks,
N.
I had similar fringing / haloing out of the box and it can be massively reduced using panel alignment. With your existing settings in memory you can't go wrong!
post #3899 of 4897 Old 01-29-2017, 09:33 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 16 Post(s)
Quoted: 1355 Post(s)
Liked: 330
With something like the Lumagen XE do you basically set the projector to factory standard and then just turn on auto calibration and the picture is calibrated like magic? What if any further tweaking do you have to do?

Jack
post #3900 of 4897 Old 01-29-2017, 12:21 PM

Abs,

I searched YouTube but could not find the video, do you by chance remember the title.

Thanks

Quote:
Originally Posted by abs View Post
Have a look at the avforums you tube video where they set it up. .I've been using their settings end haven't looked back.

Sent from my SM-N910F using Tapatalk
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply Digital Hi-End Projectors - $3,000+ USD MSRP

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page