Epson 4K (enhancement) e-shift laser projector....!!!!!! - Page 7 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 
 1598Likes

post #181 of 4897 Old 09-09-2014, 01:35 PM
AVS Forum Addicted Member

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1418 Post(s)
Liked: 1014
We unwrap some things in the evening too and sometimes we might think its a present. Sometimes it might even be amazing.
Craig Peer likes this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #182 of 4897 Old 09-09-2014, 01:40 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 979 Post(s)
Liked: 993
I had heard shipping late Oct. for the USA. but that might mean they will start shipping from Japan to Epson USA at the end of Oct. which would mean US dealers would start receiving them perhaps around mid-November (just my speculation, but I've seen such use of shipping dates mentioned at CEDIA by Epson and JVC in some past years).

Ron Jones
Blog + Reviews + Articles: projectorreviews.com
post #183 of 4897 Old 09-09-2014, 02:59 PM

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 1418 Post(s)
Liked: 1014
Krane has published, 30K hour hybrid life, 1500 lumens, and 19 db noise. This must mean that they are not pushing the phosphor wheel hard (long life, lowish lumens for a hybrid, and low noise. Or that they have reduced lumens because the color space is very wide. Wobulation and not e-shift.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #184 of 4897 Old 09-09-2014, 08:31 PM

Mentioned: 23 Post(s)
Quoted: 608 Post(s)
Liked: 2725
post #185 of 4897 Old 09-09-2014, 08:48 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Liked: 174
Traditionally the green phosphor was more into the yellow range to push lumens output, so you might be right on colour vs lumens trade-off. Though the orinal Casio's were also 1500? I forgot. The review linked before spoke of 1500 spec 1300 calibrated, so little loss from non-native colourspace setting?
post #186 of 4897 Old 09-09-2014, 08:55 PM

Mentioned: 159 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 5238 Post(s)
Liked: 5492
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mfusick View Post
thanks for the link. Evan is stating it has HDCP 2.2 so that's definitely a good thing

HDCP 2.2 Compatible. For any native 4K source material that you might stumble across that is not restricted to display on the video products of the vendor that produced it, the LS10000 is compliant with the HDCP 2.2 copy projection algorithms required to support it.

edit: ~56 ms on the fast setting for input lag
post #187 of 4897 Old 09-09-2014, 08:58 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Liked: 174
Quote:
Originally Posted by mark haflich View Post
You will know tomorrow morning.

BTW What projector do you intend to view first at Cedia? That would make an interesting poll. My guess for those in the above $3K forum, the Epson hybrid. For those in the under the $3k forum, the replacement non hybrid projectors from Epson.
RED said nothing about its projector, just the 6k camera for the DCi session at IBC in a few days. Probably won't make it to the big screen demo's again like most years.

Quantum Leap announced a 55" OLED reference display 4K i believe, should check, to be shown at the show.

Of course the NHK led 8K demo's will be there again.
post #188 of 4897 Old 09-09-2014, 09:08 PM

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 1135 Post(s)
Liked: 1767
Quote:
Originally Posted by donaldk View Post
Traditionally the green phosphor was more into the yellow range to push lumens output, so you might be right on colour vs lumens trade-off. Though the orinal Casio's were also 1500? I forgot.
Speaking of the Casios, I recalled that projectorcentral did some tests of light output with them a while back. I found the article here:

http://www.projectorcentral.com/casi...projectors.htm

I wonder if the Epsons have the same issue with being brighter in the first minute and if so, whether reviewers will use numbers measured then or after the projector has been running for a little while.

I would hope that for multiple reasons the Epsons would do a better job of maintaining light output in home theater usage over time than the Casios did there in a test running 24 hours a day (about a 25% drop in 200 hours), but will be curious to see how things are looking on that front after these Epsons have been out for a while.

I'm also curious about what the warranty specifically covers, such as whether it would cover a 50% or greater drop in light output.

--Darin

This is the AV Science Forum. Please don't be gullible and please do remember the saying, "Fool me once, shame on you. Fool me twice, shame on me."
post #189 of 4897 Old 09-09-2014, 09:26 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 429 Post(s)
Liked: 217
No FI and 4k enhancement with 1080i. It's one or the other but not both.
I wonder if super resolution would be available with 1080i?
post #190 of 4897 Old 09-09-2014, 09:35 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quoted: 207 Post(s)
Liked: 178
Quote:
Wow, want a fantastic review. I'm really surprised at the comments saying how good the 4k enhancement was even saying it was better than the Sony 600es, even though he was going from memory. It will be interesting reading side-by-side comparisons of the LS10000 vs the Sony 600es in the coming months.

Mike

JVC RS600(Fantastically calibrated by ChadB), Stewart Cima Neve 2.35 115" diagonal screen, Darbee Darblet, Denon AVR-X7200WA(7.6.4), M&K Speakers, 6 ported 18" subs powered by 3 inuke 6000dsps, 2 Behringer B1200D Mid Bass Modules, Buttkicker transducer, Oppo BDP-93 blu-ray player
post #191 of 4897 Old 09-09-2014, 09:46 PM

Mentioned: 18 Post(s)
Quoted: 3413 Post(s)
Liked: 1861
Quote:
Originally Posted by mark haflich View Post
You will know tomorrow morning.

BTW What projector do you intend to view first at Cedia? That would make an interesting poll. My guess for those in the above $3K forum, the Epson hybrid. For those in the under the $3k forum, the replacement non hybrid projectors from Epson.
I will do a drive by the Epson booth, but I have a feeling it will be packed. I may wait till Fri or Sat.

Quote:
I haven't read an Evan review in years. I gotta love his comments about contrast. At least he did give some lumen numbers.

I am curious why Epson didn't send a review pj to Kris at sound and vision or Chris at Secrets.

Having fun playing the new mobile game Volley Village
post #192 of 4897 Old 09-09-2014, 10:35 PM

10,000 hours expected in 'high lamp' mode, what percentage of loss would we see @ 5,000 hours?
post #193 of 4897 Old 09-09-2014, 10:37 PM

Mentioned: 78 Post(s)
Quoted: 3639 Post(s)
Liked: 810
Quote:
Originally Posted by zombie10k View Post

[/I]edit: ~56 ms on the fast setting for input lag
Do you (or anyone) happen to know what the lag is on the Sony VW95? I do a lot of gaming so low lag is a big deal. That said, I know the VW95 is known to be good compared to many others, but not necessarily the best. I'll guess that its about 35ms for arguments sake. I never notice any lag. I wonder if I would with 56ms. The review sounded fantastic up until I read that.
post #194 of 4897 Old 09-09-2014, 10:45 PM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 149 Post(s)
Liked: 24
Quote:
Besides the lens not be as good as the VPLVW1100, according to the accolades in the recent review, the epson blows it away. I wonder why the Epson didn't get an editors choice? I think I might have to find a buyer for one of my kidneys.
post #195 of 4897 Old 09-09-2014, 10:49 PM

Mentioned: 48 Post(s)
Quoted: 5167 Post(s)
Liked: 2593
Hmmm, it looks the reviewers favorite viewing mode as far as color goes is Digital Cinema and only puts out 1038 lumens in "high brightness" mode. Not quite the 1300 lumens Art was claiming. We'll have to see what some others measure. Also we get no measurements on native or dynamic contrast performance (on/off or ANSI), subjective impressions on how motion looks compared to current generation SXRD or DILA, subjective impressions of pixel sharpness without their faux-K implementation enabled, not a single word on a dynamic iris/dimming and how it's implemented, and not a single word on 3D performance. This is just another "blah review" with a bunch of hyperbole. This seems to be par for the course as of late with projector central reviews.
post #196 of 4897 Old 09-09-2014, 10:50 PM

Quote:
Excellent review. He really seemed to love the unit. I wonder if other reviewers will also find it just as favorable.

Here are a few interesting points that jumped out at me, or that was not covered but wondered:

- "The black levels are indeed very solid, as good as it gets on a projector, but black levels are already quite good on most premium home theater projectors." That's a bold statement to say its as good as it gets on a projector. Is that implying its as good as what the latest JVCs offer? That would seem to be a nearly impossible accomplishment considering no one has even really come close to the JVC native contrast. So either it is indeed incredible or perhaps some excitement is carrying through.

- Regarding pseudo-4K / eshift it says: "Having seen the LS10000 side by side with the JVC DLA-X700R I can attest that the image results are not the same. So it would be a mistake to think of them as equivalent implementations of a common technology." Interesting he says they are not equivalent, but stops short of saying which is better. I can't tell if he is implying one is better than the other and if so, which.

- I found it very interesting to note that at 2x viewing distance he found 4k to look better than 1080p. In my set up I am at 2x screen width (92" wide screen). For years most folks have been telling me that I would not really benefit if even at all from JVC e-shift because of my viewing distance and it not really looking any different. So the fact that the review states that with the setting jacked up the pseudo 4K looked great from 2x and noticeably improved over the 1080p mode, that is quite interesting.

- I don't usually follow their reviews, but from what I remember they do not usually publish on/off CR or ANSI CR measurements - is that right? Too bad as those will be critical to know. I certainly won't be buying a unit until a trusted source is able to get such measurements.

- The talk about the color uniformity issue when not using the lens at mid throw is a little concerning, even if the iris can be used to compensate.

- No mention of how the sharpness is compared to other units. "Sharp as a tack" is used which is promising, but again more hyperbole. Come to think of it, there is no subjective information about how this stacks up directly with the JVC, which I think would be its great competition, especially since its been said JVC is not improving with a new model this year. Ron mentioned Art's review will cover such comparisons if I recall correctly, so I'll really look forward to that.

- I like that it has the manual iris with good flexibility. Those with smaller screens would likely want to use the iris to achieve an even greater black level since they'd have a good amount of lumens to spare.

- Noticeably absent is any discussion about an auto iris - either the way Sony does it or by dimming the laser. It will be a disappointment if it does not have an auto iris or laser dimming. And such a feature is significant enough that it may be a fair assumption that no mention of it in the review means it's not present. That said, for me it would not be a deal breaker assuming the native CR is high enough - then it would not be mandatory (like I believe it would be on the Sony VW300ES). At any rate, it would sure be great if at a minimum the laser turned off or dimmed on fade to black.

Overall, sounds very promising and I look forward to learning more about the Epson over the coming days.

Last edited by lovingdvd; 09-09-2014 at 10:56 PM. Reason: Added a few more items.
post #197 of 4897 Old 09-09-2014, 10:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lovingdvd View Post
Do you (or anyone) happen to know what the lag is on the Sony VW95? I do a lot of gaming so low lag is a big deal. That said, I know the VW95 is known to be good compared to many others, but not necessarily the best. I'll guess that its about 35ms for arguments sake. I never notice any lag. I wonder if I would with 56ms. The review sounded fantastic up until I read that.
PC measured 54ms on the VW95 back in 2012, assuming they are still using the same technique it should be ok if your used to the Sony.

there's still quite a bit of info I'd be interested to hear about.

contrast performance, lens quality, 3D lumen output, 3D performance, what happens at 5,000 hours in high lamp mode, who shot JR (under 40, google it) , etc.
post #198 of 4897 Old 09-09-2014, 10:51 PM
Toe

Mentioned: 80 Post(s)
Quoted: 2663 Post(s)
Liked: 3402
Quote:
Problem is it sounds like PQ takes a big hit to get that 56ms which is eluded to in the review. I wonder exactly how PQ is affected?
post #199 of 4897 Old 09-09-2014, 10:53 PM

The review mentions the throw is a "long" 2.1x. What does this mean in terms of projector placement? If I have a 106" wide screen, where am I in the zoom range (short, mid or long)? Same question if I have a 108" wide or 116" wide screen? Thanks.
post #200 of 4897 Old 09-09-2014, 10:57 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 914 Post(s)
Liked: 813
HDCP 2.2 and wide color gamut, so this could get some benefit from 4k bluray when it hits?

RS600, 133" 2.8 HP Screen, Panasonic UB-900
Marantz, 7702MKII, Emotiva XPA-1, XPA-2, XPA-100's
7.2.4 with 4pi JBL LCR's, Athena 100 surrounds and 4x Volt 10lx ceiling speakers.
4x FI 18" IB subwoofage with Behringer EP400 amp
Fabric walls, fabric posters, fabric under soffets. No reflections!!
post #201 of 4897 Old 09-09-2014, 10:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Toe View Post
Problem is it sounds like PQ takes a big hit to get that 56ms which is eluded to in the review. I wonder exactly how PQ is affected?
Great point which I overlooked - thanks. Yes if that view is not so great and I have to go to 100ms - that would be an issue.

Why are gaming systems not building in adjustments for this? I remember Guitar Hero and Rock Band did this, since it was so critical for those games. Too bad other games don't seem to do do this or that the system cannot apply an adjustment globally. Any talk of this?
post #202 of 4897 Old 09-09-2014, 11:00 PM

Quoted: 149 Post(s)
Liked: 24
Quote:
Originally Posted by Seegs108 View Post
Hmmm, it looks the reviewers favorite viewing mode as far as color goes is Digital Cinema and only puts out 1038 lumens in "high brightness" mode. Not quite the 1300 lumens Art was claiming. We'll have to see what some others measure. Also we get no measurements on native or dynamic contrast performance (on/off or ANSI), subjective impressions on how motion looks compared to current generation SXRD or DILA, subjective impressions of pixel sharpness without their faux-K implementation enabled, not a single word on a dynamic iris/dimming and how it's implemented, and not a single word on 3D performance. This is just another "blah review" with a bunch of hyperbole. This seems to be par for the course as of late with projector central reviews.
I just hope this can do a 2.6 gamma and still not crush blacks or clip whites. That's my only complaint with a CRT projector, whites look horrible on a movie like Happy Feet.
post #203 of 4897 Old 09-09-2014, 11:06 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quoted: 147 Post(s)
Liked: 109
Quote:
10,000 hours expected in 'high lamp' mode, what percentage of loss would we see @ 5,000 hours?
My thoughts exactly. I would need at last 1000 lumens, 1300 lumens even better. That means high power mode. If the laser is spent already after 5000 h that makes it very expensive to view and me too nervous for using it for any casual viewing. With a lamp based pj you could always buy a new lamp, here it seems you have to buy a new pj. I'd want those 30k hours (or at least real life high performance 20k h), but low power mode would just be too dim. And what about the resale value of a pj with a very limited life? If it would be possible to change the laser/phosphor wheel for say the cost of three lamps, that would change the equation and make it a contender again.
post #204 of 4897 Old 09-09-2014, 11:08 PM

Quote:
no direct comparison to a frame of reference and no measured contrast performance, we will have to wait until cine4home posts his first view, hopefully soon.

remember people went insane the first time they saw reality creation on the HW50, then a closer look at the inescapable artifacts. What exactly is the 4K enhancement doing to the 1080P image?

also they focus on shadow detail. does that mean it just has a killer out of the box gamma cal or some kind of processing enhancement?

just send us the projector so people can get the hard answers they are looking for before spending $8K.
Toe likes this.
post #205 of 4897 Old 09-09-2014, 11:11 PM

I think you and I would put out one of the most candid reviews of all time.
zombie10k likes this.
post #206 of 4897 Old 09-09-2014, 11:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Drexler View Post
My thoughts exactly. I would need at last 1000 lumens, 1300 lumens even better. That means high power mode. If the laser is spent already after 5000 h that makes it very expensive to view and me too nervous for using it for any casual viewing. With a lamp based pj you could always buy a new lamp, here it seems you have to buy a new pj. I'd want those 30k hours (or at least real life high performance 20k h), but low power mode would just be too dim. And what about the resale value of a pj with a very limited life? If it would be possible to change the laser/phosphor wheel for say the cost of three lamps, that would change the equation and make it a contender again.
this is an important topic imo. Hopefully Epson can inform some of the Cedia attendees on the questions above.

What is the cost of the laser replacement? will they still be able to service it in a few years? I have a 6 year old projector (Planar .95 DC4 DLP) that I can still get a $100 OEM lamp for today and it looks brand new.
post #207 of 4897 Old 09-09-2014, 11:27 PM

Quote:
I think you and I would put out one of the most candid reviews of all time.
between our various projectors, we would have 1 heck of a frame of reference. Split source, direct A/B comparisons, just as it should be done!!

add in the Minolta meter for some contrast measurements and all h*ll will break loose.

Seegs108 and Elix like this.
post #208 of 4897 Old 09-09-2014, 11:29 PM

I think Epson took a huge gamble on this projector. We all know the CE industry is starving for something "new" to boost sales. With 4K blu-ray now confirmed to be here within 14 months it seems awfully risky to bring another 1080p projector to the market. I think Epson could have absolutely stole the show if they brought us both 4K and a laser light source, or even just a 4K projector before anyone else. I mean, do they really expect a lot of people to spend as much as $8000 on a projector that will be semi-obsolete within a year? I think JVC did something smart. They know it was a bad idea to put all that work into a 1080p 2015 model line of projectors when 4K is truly (finally) just around the corner. They should have taken a year off as well to invest the time and R&D into making their debut native 4K projector a hit. I just don't expect a ton of people to spend a ton on something that is so close to being obsolete. I mean, don't get me wrong, if I get the chance to check one out, I'll definitely be game to do that, but I don't think I could spend that much on anything 1080p.
Toe and sparky7 like this.
post #209 of 4897 Old 09-09-2014, 11:30 PM

Quote:
between our various projectors, we would have 1 heck of a frame of reference. Split source, direct A/B comparisons, just as it should be done!!

add in the Minolta meter for some contrast measurements and all h*ll will break loose.

I got my freshly calibrated Minolta CL-200 back from Tom Huffman on Monday. ChromaPure now fully supports my meter with a professional license.
post #210 of 4897 Old 09-10-2014, 01:26 AM

Quoted: 52 Post(s)
Liked: 15
Quote:

- "The black levels are indeed very solid, as good as it gets on a projector,
This was the most ridiculous part of the "review"
Elix likes this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement