The Official Sony VPL-VW300ES/VW350ES Owners Thread - Page 40 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 
 806Likes

post #1171 of 2650 Old 04-12-2015, 10:43 AM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 127 Post(s)
Liked: 27
Thanks, Venkatesh. Can you explain why that would be, or why only Cyan doesn't work on the 100% patterns?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #1172 of 2650 Old 04-12-2015, 05:21 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 77 Post(s)
Liked: 49
Quote:
Originally Posted by JeffNebraska View Post
Thanks, Venkatesh. Can you explain why that would be, or why only Cyan doesn't work on the 100% patterns?
Jeff, I'm not sure. It could be maybe for that particular colour mode Sony made the cyan cms control unresponsive for a reason, but i speculate. I suppose in the native colour mode the cms would be able move all points in..
post #1173 of 2650 Old 04-12-2015, 06:39 PM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 69 Post(s)
Liked: 11
ok just got the 350 and love this puppy..

few questions.. I have tried for hours now to get the Netflix 4k to work.. just does not show up. I have confirmed that my wired.. connection.. is good. Netflix says cant use wireless..need min of 25mbps.

system s as follows..

sony blue ray player.-- bdp-s7200
Yamaha avr receiver. -- rx A3040

to the sony 350 projector.

1. suggestions on how to get Netflix to work.. is there an issue with compatiablity ?
2. real creation. what is it exactly and why cant I set it to the off position. is this the name for upconverting to sony's look alike 4k..?
3. is it better to have the sony blue ray player do the conversion from 2d to 3d instead of the projector. -- sales rep said the blue ray player s7200 has more computing power.

Thanks
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #1174 of 2650 Old 04-12-2015, 07:26 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 475 Post(s)
Quoted: 6791 Post(s)
Liked: 6418
Quote:
Originally Posted by chicago66 View Post

few questions.. I have tried for hours now to get the Netflix 4k to work.. just does not show up. I have confirmed that my wired.. connection.. is good. Netflix says cant use wireless..need min of 25mbps.

system s as follows..

sony blue ray player.-- bdp-s7200
Yamaha avr receiver. -- rx A3040

to the sony 350 projector.

1. suggestions on how to get Netflix to work.. is there an issue with compatiablity ?
2. real creation. what is it exactly and why cant I set it to the off position. is this the name for upconverting to sony's look alike 4k..?
3. is it better to have the sony blue ray player do the conversion from 2d to 3d instead of the projector. -- sales rep said the blue ray player s7200 has more computing power.

Thanks
1. Netflix is available in Ultra HD on select Sony TVs. To stream Ultra HD, you will need:
  • A TV compatible with Ultra HD streaming from Netflix. See below for more details.
  • A plan that supports streaming in Ultra High Definition. You can check which plan you're currently on at www.netflix.com/ChangePlan.
  • A steady Internet connection speed of 25Mbps or higher. See below for more details.
  • Make sure your streaming quality is set to "High." More information about video quality settings can be found in our Playback Settings article.
The below list of Sony devices currently support Netflix in Ultra HD.
  • X8500B
  • X8505B
  • X9000B
  • X9005B
  • X850B
  • X900B
  • X907B
  • X950B
  • X955B

2. You certainly can set it to off in the options but there is undenyable image quality gains by having it ON but set only to Minimum. Yes, it is essentially Sony's upconverting algorithm but it is VERY good. Set it too high though and it becomes rough, too sharp and introduces artifacts, Minimum settings are good and if you put up a still image of a grass frield or something with similarly complicated detail you will clearly see the difference switching it on and off.

3. Don't know. He could be right.

JVC X9500 (RS620) | 120" 16:9 | Marantz AV7702 MkII | Emotiva XPA-7 | DIY Modular Towers | DIY TPL-150 Surrounds | DIY Atmos | DIY 18" Subs
-
MadVR Settings | UHD Waveform Analysis | Arve Tool Instructions + V3 Javs Curves
post #1175 of 2650 Old 04-12-2015, 08:09 PM

So are we saying this projector cannot do Netflix 4k. I have the plan. Did the settings thing in netflix account says rep said can stream Netflix.
post #1176 of 2650 Old 04-12-2015, 11:04 PM

Quoted: 186 Post(s)
Liked: 48
I dont see you mentioned the Sony FMP-X10 4K player, that's the only way you're gonna get Netflix on 4K. Well, you'll also need Netflix plan that will get you 4K and a good internet speed/connection.
post #1177 of 2650 Old 04-12-2015, 11:04 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
So are we saying this projector cannot do Netflix 4k. I have the plan. Did the settings thing in netflix account says rep said can stream Netflix.
It can if you have a compatible 4K Netflix device, I haven't looked those models up themselves in the list but it looks like a few of those are Bluray players and a few are 4k TV's. Possibly your player is a lower tier one, is not on the list, and doesn't play UHD Netflix.

Reps are known to be wrong, although he IS right if he only said it will stream Netflix but didnt say anything about UHD Netflix.. Did you ask that question specifically before you purchased?

JVC X9500 (RS620) | 120" 16:9 | Marantz AV7702 MkII | Emotiva XPA-7 | DIY Modular Towers | DIY TPL-150 Surrounds | DIY Atmos | DIY 18" Subs
-
MadVR Settings | UHD Waveform Analysis | Arve Tool Instructions + V3 Javs Curves
post #1178 of 2650 Old 04-13-2015, 05:07 AM

Sony blue ray player was a 250 dollar unit. Says 4k conversion.
I have the plan. I have the settings correct. I have the speed on the wired connection. Perhaps you are correct.. although unit is a higher end unit might not be net flix comparable.

Here is question though. Assuming net flx devicevs correct this projector will be good to go for 4k amazon.. Net flix. Ect?
post #1179 of 2650 Old 04-13-2015, 05:44 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Sony blue ray player was a 250 dollar unit. Says 4k conversion.

I have the plan. I have the settings correct. I have the speed on the wired connection. Perhaps you are correct.. although unit is a higher end unit might not be net flix comparable.

Here is question though. Assuming net flx devicevs correct this projector will be good to go for 4k amazon.. Net flix. Ect?

I think as the posters above said you may need Sonys 4K media streamer to watch Netflix in UHD.

But otherwise yes of course it will stream 4k content if the correct signal is fed to it.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

-
post #1180 of 2650 Old 04-13-2015, 07:25 AM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 0
Help! Which Sony Projector? Which Format?

Hi,

I have been reading this forum and you guys obviously know your stuff. I hope that you can help me. I went into building a Home Theater thinking I wanted a 4k Projector with a 2:35 format. Great so I go to a Hifi store where the guy sells me on the Sony 350 (which I had in mind), but going 16:9 (mainly due to cost, and he reckoned I wouldn't mind the black bars). Done deal. then he leaves the company and a new guy is now saying 2:35 is the way to go and I wont be happy with 16:9 and I need an anamorphic lens. If I do that with the 350 he says I may as well buy the Sony 600.

Don't I need an anamorphic lens for the 600?
Wont the 350 get me what I want for less than the 600 even with a lens? I thought the only difference was lack of iris, lens memory, and brightness.

Any advice would be gratefully received,

Thanks,
Stuart
post #1181 of 2650 Old 04-13-2015, 07:56 AM
AVS Forum Addicted Member

Mentioned: 232 Post(s)
Quoted: 11826 Post(s)
Liked: 9358
Send a message via Skype™ to Mike Garrett
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jetprovost View Post
Hi,

I have been reading this forum and you guys obviously know your stuff. I hope that you can help me. I went into building a Home Theater thinking I wanted a 4k Projector with a 2:35 format. Great so I go to a Hifi store where the guy sells me on the Sony 350 (which I had in mind), but going 16:9 (mainly due to cost, and he reckoned I wouldn't mind the black bars). Done deal. then he leaves the company and a new guy is now saying 2:35 is the way to go and I wont be happy with 16:9 and I need an anamorphic lens. If I do that with the 350 he says I may as well buy the Sony 600.

Wont the 350 get me what I want for less than the 600 even with a lens? I thought the only difference was lack of iris, lens memory, and brightness.

Thanks,
Stuart
The 600 has lens memory, the 350 does not. The 350 does have powered lens features, so you could still do 2.35 with the 350, by using the remote control to zoom the image. As to 2.35 or 16:9, it comes down to the content you watch and wall size. if you are height restricted, then consider 2.35. If you plan to mainly watch moves, with very little sports or TV viewing then 2.35. If you watch a lot of sports or HDTV or gaming, then 16:9.
post #1182 of 2650 Old 04-13-2015, 08:07 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 34 Post(s)
Quoted: 1302 Post(s)
Liked: 1053
Unless you intend sitting at around 1.5 x the screen height of your chosen 2.35 screen, you shouldn't need an anamorphic lens for 2.35, as the pixels are much smaller than 1080 so won't be an issue for zooming.

I own an ISCO lens, but I can't see me using it with a 4k projector, even from 2 x the screen height. I've demo'd the 300 from 1.95 x SH and it was fine even with upscaled 1080 source material. The only drawback is having to zoom and use the lens shift to go back and forth from 16:9 and 2.35. Thugh if you're only going to be watching 1080 material, you can use the 'shrink' method where you are constantly zoomed at 2.35 and shrink 16:9 within it, rather than zoom.

Gary

Quote:
Originally Posted by elmalloc
Who says Cameron is "right" and why do we care about him so much - lol!

I trust Gary Lightfoot more than James Cameron.
post #1183 of 2650 Old 04-13-2015, 08:20 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 67 Post(s)
Quoted: 1887 Post(s)
Liked: 1084
2.35 screens and anamorphic lenses are good for movie buffs but not for TV/sports watchers. Before doing 2.35 make sure that is the format you want. I watch a lot of movies so that is my personal preference but I wouldn't recommend it for everyone. In fact I wouldn't recommend it for most but if you are a movie buff there are two ways to do 2.35.

1. The zoom method. You use the projectors zoom to fill the 2.35 screen when you are watching 2.35 content. When you are watching 16:9 content you zoom back the projector's zoom and you will have black bars on the side. With the 600 there is a lens memory feature that make switching easy, with the 350 you would have to zoom and adjust the lens shift and focus manually. Because it is electronic controls it would not take long, probably less than a minute. I call the zoom method a poor man's 2.35 method.

2. Anamorphic Lens. When watching 2.35 material the video processor in the projector or separate video processor stretches the picture vertically to eliminate the black bars. Then the anamorphic lens stretches the picture horizontally to fill the 2.35 screen. This has the advantage over the zoom method of using the whole panel so you use all the light from the projector for a brighter picture. It also has a perceived resolution increase even though there is no more resolution than what is on the disc. It is similar to up scaling a picture where there is no actual resolution increase but it can look more detailed so you get a perceived resolution increase. The downside of anamorphic lens is that you can get a pincushion effect from the lens, this can be corrected by using a curved screen which helps with uniformity especially if you have a gain screen. A curved screen can help with 16:9 screens for uniformity as well but then you get a bowing effect. When watching 16:9 material the lens is moved out of the way either manually or on an electronic sled. You will then see your 16:9 picture with black bars on the side. One of the more inexpensive anamorphic lens configuration leaves the lens in place all the time and uses the video processor to "squeeze" the picture to 16:9 to give a correct aspect ratio but you lose resolution or you can watch your 16:9 material stretched. It is personal preference if you go with a fixed lens. The other downside to anamorphic lens is cost. The added lens and curved screen costs quite a bit more. I prefer this method and have set up projectors using both methods but either method is good for movie buffs.

3. Another option whether using a 16:9 or 2.35 screen is to get masking so the screen covers the black bars. Again, another cost but if you really hate black bars it is a solution. I don't find the black bars too bothersome on projectors that have very good black levels. It is one of those things that bothers some and not others. If budget wasn't an issue I would get the masking, it is a nice touch. However it would be further down my priority wish list if working with a budget.

As you can see it is just easier for most to get a 16:9 screen and have the black bars on the top and bottom when watching 2.35 content.
lovingdvd likes this.
post #1184 of 2650 Old 04-13-2015, 11:10 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:

My understanding is that only a small number of 4K TVs currrently do 4K Netflix and Amazon streaming, and they all do it on-board, inside the TV. This projector will certainly do it down the road, but we all need to wait for a 4K external streaming box that can handle it and can transfer the 4K image to the projector.

Jeffnebraska
Reaching for the Next Level With a Sony 350ES and a 133" 2.35 AT Screen
post #1185 of 2650 Old 04-13-2015, 11:34 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maison View Post
I dont see you mentioned the Sony FMP-X10 4K player, that's the only way you're gonna get Netflix on 4K. Well, you'll also need Netflix plan that will get you 4K and a good internet speed/connection.
I forgot about this option. This will also work, but is not worth the money, in my view.

I haven't watched a drop of actual 4K content on my 350ES, but have been floored by the quality of regular old 1080P streaming and blurays. I am curious about 4K content, but don't feel a burning need to find a way to get access to it.

Jeffnebraska
post #1186 of 2650 Old 04-13-2015, 11:45 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jetprovost View Post
Hi,

Thanks,
Stuart
I just upgraded to the 350ES and to a 2.35 screen. I went from 100" 16x9 screen to my current 133" 2.35 screen.

I love having 2.35 for widescreen movies, which is most blurays and many movies on Apple TV or Vudu, as well as some movies on cable. I always hated the black bars above and below my image when I watched widescreen movies, which are usually the best looking content you can find. The black bars made the image feel so much smaller. Now, I wish everything were in widescreen. Also, the black bars on the sides in 16x9 content really don't bug me too much, since the image is still as big as my old screen was.

If your screen is 16x9, you will never use the zoom feature, and lens memory is irrelevant to you, so I think the 600ES is not worth the extra money there for sure (others may love that dynamic iris, but I hear it's no big advantage). Additionally, even with a 2.35 screen, I find the manual zoom to be very fast (5 to 10 seconds) and no hassle at all. Lens memory would be nice to have, but I'd rather spend those extra thousands on something else that's not just a convenience feature. That money could buy a heck of an amp, preamp, sub, or any one of a number of other more important upgrades.

Finally, I see no reason at all for an anamorphic lens with this projector. The image looks razor sharp zoomed. Again, if money were no object, anamorphic lens would be cool and could, in theory, slightly improve your brightness and sharpness, but even at my large screen size, I doubt the difference would be easy to spot.

Just my two cents.

Jeffnebraska
post #1187 of 2650 Old 04-13-2015, 11:50 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gary Lightfoot View Post
Though if you're only going to be watching 1080 material, you can use the 'shrink' method where you are constantly zoomed at 2.35 and shrink 16:9 within it, rather than zoom.

Gary
What does this mean? I don't immediately grasp the configuration and settings you're suggesting one could use.

Jeffnebraska
post #1188 of 2650 Old 04-13-2015, 03:38 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 34 Post(s)
Quoted: 1302 Post(s)
Liked: 1053
With a 2.35 screen, you zoom a scope image to fill it. When you watch 16:9, instead of zooming the image smaller to keep the height within the screen, you use scaling to do it instead.

Quote:
Originally Posted by elmalloc
Who says Cameron is "right" and why do we care about him so much - lol!

I trust Gary Lightfoot more than James Cameron.
post #1189 of 2650 Old 04-13-2015, 05:35 PM

can I get a clear answer.. this is so confusing.. Does the 350 have codec to handle 4k. or must the it be decoded in the blue ray player.. is there a blue ray player from sony that does this.. or must we purchase the Sony UHD media player to handle 4k out from this projector
post #1190 of 2650 Old 04-13-2015, 06:23 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
can I get a clear answer.. this is so confusing.. Does the 350 have codec to handle 4k. or must the it be decoded in the blue ray player.. is there a blue ray player from sony that does this.. or must we purchase the Sony UHD media player to handle 4k out from this projector
The Sony IS 4K. The panels are 4k, it does not need a codec.

But like anything it MUST be fed a 4K signal. Which means at this point in time, you need a device which OUTPUTS 4K.

4K Bluray is not out yet but will start coming out later this year, the 300ES will play those as long as you buy the new Bluray players which come out at the time.

Right now you can either connect a PC to it to get 4K signal, or you can get a 4K streaming media device such as the Sony FMP-X10 which some people would advise against at this point in time but if you so wish it thats how you will get to watch 4k content right now, apparently it plays 4k Netflix too.

Obviously it also plays 1080p and everything current to this day also. It is not ONLY a 4k Device. It plays basically everything.

-
post #1191 of 2650 Old 04-13-2015, 06:52 PM

so how do we stream the Netflix uhd for like house of cards.. or breaking bad ..
post #1192 of 2650 Old 04-13-2015, 08:04 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Javs View Post
or you can get a 4K streaming media device such as the Sony FMP-X10 which some people would advise against at this point in time but if you so wish it thats how you will get to watch 4k content right now, apparently it plays 4k Netflix too..
Quote:
so how do we stream the Netflix uhd for like house of cards.. or breaking bad ..
I already told you how...

http://store.sony.com/sony-4k-ultra-...ternet-Players

-
post #1193 of 2650 Old 04-13-2015, 08:07 PM

javs.. just so I can show my stupidity again.. are you saying there is no blue ray player right now out that allows the signal to pass to the projector.. we are stuck having to purchase the media unit from sony.. how are others watching net flix 4k stream on these projectors. ? only throught the sony media hub?
post #1194 of 2650 Old 04-13-2015, 08:16 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
javs.. just so I can show my stupidity again.. are you saying there is no blue ray player right now out that allows the signal to pass to the projector.. we are stuck having to purchase the media unit from sony.. how are others watching net flix 4k stream on these projectors. ? only throught the sony media hub?
That certainly seems to be the case right now.

-
post #1195 of 2650 Old 04-13-2015, 10:44 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 67 Post(s)
Quoted: 1887 Post(s)
Liked: 1084
If you want Netflix 4UHD the only solution currently for projectors is the Sony server. Some 4K TVs have the Netflix UHD app built in but not the projectors. Until UHD Blu-ray arrives later this year that is the only way. I would guess that many of the UHD Bluray players will also have the Netflix UHD app.
post #1196 of 2650 Old 04-13-2015, 11:33 PM
Advanced Member

Chicago - very few people are watching any 4K content right now. Netflix 4K, Amazon 4K, and the Sony Media player are almost the only games in town. Maybe there are also some HTPC options.

Right now, the only way for any projector to watch Netflix 4K is through the Sony 4K media player. I think the rest of the devices that can access Netflix 4K are just TVs themselves.

Before long, lots of external boxes will likely be able to access Netflix 4K. There will doubtless be a $200 Roku within a year or so. But, for now, you'll have to either buy that Sony hunk of overpriced whiz-bang, or just be satisfied with the truly jaw-dropping quality of 1080 Netflix streaming, when your projector upscales it to 4K.
post #1197 of 2650 Old 04-14-2015, 01:47 AM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 0
Quote:
I just upgraded to the 350ES and to a 2.35 screen. I went from 100" 16x9 screen to my current 133" 2.35 screen.

I love having 2.35 for widescreen movies, which is most blurays and many movies on Apple TV or Vudu, as well as some movies on cable. I always hated the black bars above and below my image when I watched widescreen movies, which are usually the best looking content you can find. The black bars made the image feel so much smaller. Now, I wish everything were in widescreen. Also, the black bars on the sides in 16x9 content really don't bug me too much, since the image is still as big as my old screen was.

If your screen is 16x9, you will never use the zoom feature, and lens memory is irrelevant to you, so I think the 600ES is not worth the extra money there for sure (others may love that dynamic iris, but I hear it's no big advantage). Additionally, even with a 2.35 screen, I find the manual zoom to be very fast (5 to 10 seconds) and no hassle at all. Lens memory would be nice to have, but I'd rather spend those extra thousands on something else that's not just a convenience feature. That money could buy a heck of an amp, preamp, sub, or any one of a number of other more important upgrades.

Finally, I see no reason at all for an anamorphic lens with this projector. The image looks razor sharp zoomed. Again, if money were no object, anamorphic lens would be cool and could, in theory, slightly improve your brightness and sharpness, but even at my large screen size, I doubt the difference would be easy to spot.

Just my two cents.

Thanks, and thanks to everyone else responding. This really helped. I am a movie watcher mainly so my decision is 2:35 screen with the Sony 350 and zoom the lens in and out as appropriate. As my speakers are going behind the screen I can go to at least a 130" screen so I don't think image size will be an issue, but if I really can't live with the side bars for 16:9 I will get some magnetic masks.

Thanks,
Stuart
post #1198 of 2650 Old 04-14-2015, 04:30 AM

Ok. Thanks all. No longer confused!! Killed that issue. Intersetingly enough not only did sales rep say blue ray player would handle the uhd Netflix to the sony projector but the reps at Netflix did also telling me it was simply a speed issue.

All good though cause ths 350 kills
post #1199 of 2650 Old 04-14-2015, 08:37 AM
AVS Forum Addicted Member

Mentioned: 106 Post(s)
Quoted: 6620 Post(s)
Liked: 7698
Quote:
Ok. Thanks all. No longer confused!! Killed that issue. Intersetingly enough not only did sales rep say blue ray player would handle the uhd Netflix to the sony projector but the reps at Netflix did also telling me it was simply a speed issue.

All good though cause ths 350 kills

It sure does. Watched Guardians of the Galaxy Monday and John Wick again with some friends last night ( great movie ). The amount of detail from top tier Blu Rays still amazes me!!

We have several VW350's in stock at AV Science, if anyone is looking to get one.
post #1200 of 2650 Old 04-14-2015, 10:19 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 240 Post(s)
Liked: 66
Quote:
This projector continues to be a marvel, but I have to say, I no longer think the black crush issues I've been griping about can be solved, at least on my machine and setup.

I have calibrated my gamma to 2.25, with the 15% level more like 2.15 and the 10% and 5% levels lower than that. On most content, I now feel like shadow detail is good, though not usually great. With some material, however, it's not even good.
YMMV.
It is best to compare with another reference display while playing the same material. It is the source in most/all cases I believe, assuming good calibration was done. This is what the latest Cnet review said about shadow detail tracking by the Sony, after praising the JVC X700 for it's superior black level:

"Shadow detail was impressive on the VW350ES, and after calibration it hit my target gamma very well. In dark scenes, such as the dim interior of the crashed ship, I saw slightly more detail in the Sony than on the JVC, while the Epson was about as good as the Sony."

Watched Big Hero 6 bluray last night - impeccable in every way. Since there was no live camera involved that can crush the shadow details in odd lighting, the dark scenes look really really good.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply Digital Hi-End Projectors - $3,000+ USD MSRP

Tags
software , sony projector , sony vpl 350 , VPL-VW350ES , VW300ES

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page