The Official Sony VPL-VW300ES/VW350ES Owners Thread - Page 44 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 
 806Likes

post #1291 of 2651 Old 04-20-2015, 10:05 AM
AVS Forum Addicted Member

Mentioned: 116 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 7093 Post(s)
Liked: 8423
Quote:
Originally Posted by George Kouzev View Post
I posted that link and observed the same with my unit. With very long throw, I was not able to discern individual pixels one the very left of the screen while center and right were easily visible. Shortening the throw by under two feet in my case made a difference to the point pixels on the left are now also visible.

max90034 throw distance at the moment is much bigger relatively speaking (and according to PC calculator out of optimal range, assuming it is accurate?) than I initially had, so I can see how this can lead to softness.

My advice - go with bigger screen if you can , not just for that reason. Craig or Mike gave me that same advice, go as big as you can afford, a month or so ago, I followed and would never look back.

" Size Matters " !

[email protected] JVC RS4500, Lumagen Radiance Pro, Panamorph Paladin DCR lens, Stewart Luxus Model A ElectriScreens - 128" diagonal 2.35:1 ST130 & 122" diagonal 16:9 Cima Neve, Denon X8500, Parasound A 52+ amp, Martin Logan Motion series 9.4 speakers, four SVS subs, Panasonic UB820, Oppo 203, PFP M1500 UPS
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #1292 of 2651 Old 04-20-2015, 02:45 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 11 Post(s)
Liked: 1
Anamorphic Lenses

I know this topic has been discussed many times before, but they are with 1080p projectors. I would like to know directly from people that are owners of these Sony 4K projectors or have seen these lenses in action. How does the picture quality compare to the lenses in use versus zooming. I have a Panamorph Cinevista Lens on back order, should I keep or cancel the order? BTW, I am tired of zooming back and forth and having to refocus, but at the same time, I rather zoom back and forth and refocus if the image quality of this lens degrades the image to a magnitude of it looking like and image between 4k and 1080p.
post #1293 of 2651 Old 04-20-2015, 03:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ob1kob View Post
I know this topic has been discussed many times before, but they are with 1080p projectors. I would like to know directly from people that are owners of these Sony 4K projectors or have seen these lenses in action. How does the picture quality compare to the lenses in use versus zooming. I have a Panamorph Cinevista Lens on back order, should I keep or cancel the order? BTW, I am tired of zooming back and forth and having to refocus, but at the same time, I rather zoom back and forth and refocus if the image quality of this lens degrades the image to a magnitude of it looking like and image between 4k and 1080p.

If it were me I would not use a Cinevista lens with a Sony 4K projector. One of the better lenses, maybe.

[email protected] JVC RS4500, Lumagen Radiance Pro, Panamorph Paladin DCR lens, Stewart Luxus Model A ElectriScreens - 128" diagonal 2.35:1 ST130 & 122" diagonal 16:9 Cima Neve, Denon X8500, Parasound A 52+ amp, Martin Logan Motion series 9.4 speakers, four SVS subs, Panasonic UB820, Oppo 203, PFP M1500 UPS
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #1294 of 2651 Old 04-20-2015, 04:47 PM

Mentioned: 247 Post(s)
Quoted: 12673 Post(s)
Liked: 10302
Send a message via Skype™ to Mike Garrett
Quote:
The image would be very sharp using the CineVista, but the CineVista does not have CA correction. It is designed to stay in front of the projector lens, all the time. You use the zonal pixel adjustment in the projector to correct for CA caused by the lens. So if this lens stays in front all the time, then you will not be using the full panel, when watching 16:9 content. Also the CineVista is designed with a max focal length of around 17'. Max screen height, before pincushion is considered too big is going to be around 55" high, which is about 130" wide. This is the long version of what Craig said. I would use a different lens.
post #1295 of 2651 Old 04-20-2015, 09:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AV Science Sales 5 View Post
The image would be very sharp using the CineVista, but the CineVista does not have CA correction. It is designed to stay in front of the projector lens, all the time. You use the zonal pixel adjustment in the projector to correct for CA caused by the lens. So if this lens stays in front all the time, then you will not be using the full panel, when watching 16:9 content. Also the CineVista is designed with a max focal length of around 17'. Max screen height, before pincushion is considered too big is going to be around 55" high, which is about 130" wide. This is the long version of what Craig said. I would use a different lens.
My throw is at 14 feet and my screen is a 125 inch 2.35:1 curved, so I don't think pincushion will be an too much of an issue. I also plan on leaving the lens in place, since most of the movies I watch are 2.35:1 anyway. If it makes a 2:35.1 movie look better than zooming with a push of a button, then I'll be happy. But doesn't the VW350ES have an A and B memory setting so you can save the different zonal pixel adjustments, so when you remove the lens you can put the zonal pixel adjustment back to before you adjust it with the lens in place?
post #1296 of 2651 Old 04-20-2015, 11:06 PM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 25 Post(s)
Liked: 12
Quote:
I posted that link and observed the same with my unit. With very long throw, I was not able to discern individual pixels one the very left of the screen while center and right were easily visible. Shortening the throw by under two feet in my case made a difference to the point pixels on the left are now also visible.

max90034 throw distance at the moment is much bigger relatively speaking (and according to PC calculator out of optimal range, assuming it is accurate?) than I initially had, so I can see how this can lead to softness.

My advice - go with bigger screen if you can , not just for that reason. Craig or Mike gave me that same advice, go as big as you can afford, a month or so ago, I followed and would never look back.
George, You mentioned seeing pixels on the screen. Are you referring to those dotted lines on the focus screen or actual individual pixels? I believe dots are few pixels in diameter. I do not think I can resolve individual pixels anywhere on the green focus screen, left or right.
post #1297 of 2651 Old 04-21-2015, 06:23 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 240 Post(s)
Liked: 66
Quote:
Originally Posted by max90034 View Post
George, You mentioned seeing pixels on the screen. Are you referring to those dotted lines on the focus screen or actual individual pixels? I believe dots are few pixels in diameter. I do not think I can resolve individual pixels anywhere on the green focus screen, left or right.
There is a Test Pattern menu item which you can set to Off, in which case you will not see the green lines/dots but instead the projected source image while doing your focus adjustment. I put a bright static picture on the screen and then use the pup up menu letters that come up while adjusting focus to judge center focus. Then you can move away from the center to see the sites. I am able to see those tiny-tiny individual pixels. This is also how you can see how important it is to have your last step for adjusting size being an enlargement - just see how well you can adjust focus looking at the small pop-up menu letters/arrows in the center in either case. Pay attention to halos around the letters as well as how well you can see the pixels.
post #1298 of 2651 Old 04-21-2015, 06:53 AM

Quote:
My throw is at 14 feet and my screen is a 125 inch 2.35:1 curved, so I don't think pincushion will be an too much of an issue. I also plan on leaving the lens in place, since most of the movies I watch are 2.35:1 anyway. If it makes a 2:35.1 movie look better than zooming with a push of a button, then I'll be happy. But doesn't the VW350ES have an A and B memory setting so you can save the different zonal pixel adjustments, so when you remove the lens you can put the zonal pixel adjustment back to before you adjust it with the lens in place?
With 14' of throw and a curved screen, then I would use an A-lens. The CineVista will work in your setup, since you said you plan to use a fixed lens. I am pretty sure that you can't save two different zonal pixel adjustments.
post #1299 of 2651 Old 04-21-2015, 01:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AV Science Sales 5 View Post
With 14' of throw and a curved screen, then I would use an A-lens. The CineVista will work in your setup, since you said you plan to use a fixed lens. I am pretty sure that you can't save two different zonal pixel adjustments.
I played with the menu screen for a while last night and you are right, there is no feature to save two different settings for the zonal pixel adjustment. I was debating on wether to do a CHS with a lens or a CWS with horizontal masking, but I like how 1.78:1 movies look better with the CHS setup more since it's not too overbearing to my eyes, plus it will be brighter.

Another question. To maximize brightness (for 3D mostly), am I able to move my projector closer, like a 10 feet throw (zoom out the lens completely), and get a 100 inch 16:9 image, then use the A-LENS to stretch out the image to fill the width of my 2.35:1 screen?
post #1300 of 2651 Old 04-22-2015, 04:36 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 34 Post(s)
Quoted: 1303 Post(s)
Liked: 1054
You might find that if the image is zoomed too large, the image may not pass unobscured through the A lens. You'll have to try by testing, or see what the minimum throw of the A lens is to be sure.

Gary

Quote:
Originally Posted by elmalloc
Who says Cameron is "right" and why do we care about him so much - lol!

I trust Gary Lightfoot more than James Cameron.
post #1301 of 2651 Old 04-27-2015, 06:13 AM

Quoted: 69 Post(s)
Liked: 11
ok.. when watching a blue ray.. I am unable to turn off reality creation? I use the remote button designated for such. It comes up. however, when I toggle down to the "off" and then hit enter nothing happens.

Is this correct? on other note is there a soft ware upgrade?
post #1302 of 2651 Old 04-27-2015, 06:25 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by chicago66 View Post
ok.. when watching a blue ray.. I am unable to turn off reality creation? I use the remote button designated for such. It comes up. however, when I toggle down to the "off" and then hit enter nothing happens.

Is this correct? on other note is there a soft ware upgrade?
You should not have to hit enter - as soon as you go to Off, it should be off. To get rid of the menu, press the dedicated RC button again.

Can you turn on/off from the main menu?
post #1303 of 2651 Old 04-27-2015, 07:01 AM

Tried that also. is not going off. seams strange to me.. I thought perhaps it was limited to the blue ray input.. but same on other inputs.
post #1304 of 2651 Old 04-27-2015, 12:34 PM
Advanced Member

That is odd. The only case were I do not see difference between RC on and off is when I feed 4K signal.
post #1305 of 2651 Old 04-27-2015, 12:38 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 605 Post(s)
Liked: 123
Quote:
Tried that also. is not going off. seams strange to me.. I thought perhaps it was limited to the blue ray input.. but same on other inputs.
Try the RC 'test' option
post #1306 of 2651 Old 04-27-2015, 01:37 PM

ok wait that might be it.. the blue ray I think is upconverting.. its a sony 6200 blue ray.. so perhaps the option to turn off reality creation is not available on 4k or sources which are upconverted to 4k ?
post #1307 of 2651 Old 04-27-2015, 01:51 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
ok wait that might be it.. the blue ray I think is upconverting.. its a sony 6200 blue ray.. so perhaps the option to turn off reality creation is not available on 4k or sources which are upconverted to 4k ?
Very likely the case. The RC on/off is still available as an option, which suggests that some processing takes place if ON, but I personally saw no difference. Perhaps there will be some difference if I bumped RC sharpening/filtering params up but I would not go there. I believe I have it set to Off for 4k signals.
post #1308 of 2651 Old 04-28-2015, 06:26 AM

ok./.. so for those newbies with this unit.. I think I understand and perhaps the rest of you can confirm. when you hit the RC button on the remote and toggle down to "off" the check or arrow does not move to the off line so I thought the RC was still in on position.. however,, after going to the "off" line and entering the enter button.. I then hit menu and saw all the options.. which showed RC "Off".

Stange thing is when the units is not accepting a signal and I use simply the RC button on the remote rather than the menu button and toggle to the line for RC is does ...show it as off right away.. I know this is sounds confusing..

I too noticed no difference with RC on or off.
post #1309 of 2651 Old 04-28-2015, 06:51 AM

Quote:
ok./.. so for those newbies with this unit.. I think I understand and perhaps the rest of you can confirm. when you hit the RC button on the remote and toggle down to "off" the check or arrow does not move to the off line so I thought the RC was still in on position.. however,, after going to the "off" line and entering the enter button.. I then hit menu and saw all the options.. which showed RC "Off".

Stange thing is when the units is not accepting a signal and I use simply the RC button on the remote rather than the menu button and toggle to the line for RC is does ...show it as off right away.. I know this is sounds confusing..

I too noticed no difference with RC on or off.
Up the setting for RC and then try it. You should be able to see a difference. Make sure you are looking at a static image or a test pattern. That will make it the easiest to see.
post #1310 of 2651 Old 04-28-2015, 08:38 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 282 Post(s)
Liked: 79
Doh .. .wrong thread.

Last edited by Skrill; 04-28-2015 at 10:12 AM.
post #1311 of 2651 Old 04-28-2015, 05:44 PM

Quoted: 7 Post(s)
After a long wait, my 350ES has finally arrived. I got my unit from [email protected]
I ordered mine early on with the Sony special introductory pricing and he took great care
of me. There was a delay which was not his fault but he kept me updated throughout
the process. Thanks again to Craig for the great hookup,nice guy and company to
deal with. Now i will hook it up and enjoy 4k
post #1312 of 2651 Old 04-28-2015, 06:39 PM
Advanced Member

Here is a taste of true 4k resolution on the VW300 - Switzerland of course. I just paused one of the 4k clips downloaded from youtube and took pictures.

First picture is of the entire screen. The second one is a close up on a small bottom-middle section so that one can see the real on-screen resolution. Note that the facebook.com letters are about one pixel thick, and so are the pols by the railroad on the second picture. These are visible from regular viewing distance.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	screen10.JPG
Views:	208
Size:	913.9 KB
ID:	691914   Click image for larger version

Name:	screen11.JPG
Views:	194
Size:	904.4 KB
ID:	691922  

Last edited by George Kouzev; 04-29-2015 at 06:37 AM.
post #1313 of 2651 Old 04-29-2015, 08:05 AM

Quote:
Here is a taste of true 4k resolution on the VW300 - Switzerland of course. I just paused one of the 4k clips downloaded from youtube and took pictures.

First picture is of the entire screen. The second one is a close up on a small bottom-middle section so that one can see the real on-screen resolution. Note that the facebook.com letters are about one pixel thick, and so are the pols by the railroad on the second picture. These are visible from regular viewing distance.
Yep, looks like looking out a window, rather than an image on a screen.
post #1314 of 2651 Old 04-29-2015, 10:29 AM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 134 Post(s)
Liked: 29
Quote:

I have a gaming laptop with HDMI out. I take it for granted that I cannot pass 4K from YouTube or any other source, but, out of curiosity, how do I confirm this? What video card feature is required to pull this off?

Jeffnebraska
Reaching for the Next Level With a Sony 350ES and a 133" 2.35 AT Screen
post #1315 of 2651 Old 04-29-2015, 10:39 AM
Advanced Member

I coughed for the Sony FMP-X10 player. Not sure what HTPC specs would work but in any case I would download first and then play. There is a free Windows app called 4k Downloader (I am not home to confirm exact name) where you just paste the youtube URL and it does the rest.

I download to my laptop first, transfer to memory card and then transfer/use on the x10.

Last edited by George Kouzev; 04-29-2015 at 10:45 AM.
post #1316 of 2651 Old 04-29-2015, 10:40 AM

Quote:

What source device are you using? If you mentioned it I missed it. Thanks.

We have several VW350's in stock by the way ( in case anyone is looking for one ) !

post #1317 of 2651 Old 04-29-2015, 10:57 AM

Quoted: 87 Post(s)
Liked: 33
Quote:
Originally Posted by Michael9009 View Post
Upscaling cannot be disabled. Otherwise, different resolution sources will be projected with different sizes on the screen, depending on the number of pixels. All you can do, though, is changing the method of upscaling:

a. With the Reality Creation set to Off - i.e. pixel doubling - the picture looks similar to a 1080p image; or

b. With the Reality Creation set to On (minimum settings recommended) - i.e. pixel interpolation - the picture interpolates the additional pixels from a 1080p image, making it look closer to real 4k resolution. This is the setting to be used.

I am using the SONY VPLVW350ES with both a 1080P output from a SONY BDP790 BluRay player and the SONY FMP-X10 UHD/4K Media Player. The SONY Entertainment Center provides many UHD feature films (@$30 purchase and $8 rental, plus many 4K/UHD demo films (some free).
The media player also delivers UTUBE 4K films transferred via flash drives from an on-line computer.
The reason for this post is to advise you lucky 350 owners that although the Media Player to a 120 inch screen is superb, so is the 1080P output
from the BluRay player upconverted by the 350 is just about indistinguishable. The 350 upconversion from 1080P is excellent, sometimes preferable to native 4K, and the 350 also beats other upconverting sources (like the SONY BDP6200) from 1080P to 2160.
cdnscg and DavidHir like this.

Last edited by Gil Arroyo; 05-01-2015 at 09:00 AM.
post #1318 of 2651 Old 04-30-2015, 09:52 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gil Arroyo View Post
I am using the SONY VPLVW350ES with both a 1080P output from a SONY BDP790 BluRay player and the SONY FMP-X10 UHD/4K Media Player. The SONY Entertainment Center provides many UHD feature films (@$30 purchase and $8 rental, plus many 4K/UHD demo films (some free).
The media player also delivers UTUBE 4K films transferred via flash drives from an on-line computer.
The reason for this post is to advise you lucky 350 owners that although the Media Player to a 120 inch screen is superb, so is the 1080P output
from the BluRay player upconverted by the 350 is just about indistinguishable. The 350 upconversion from 1080P is excellent, sometimes preferable to native 4K, and the 350 also beats other upconverting sources (like the SONY BDP6200) from 1080P to 3840.
Thanks for the observations Gil. I have certainly been impressed with current Blu Rays on my VW600. Your comparison of upscaled 1080p to 4K is interesting, as I don't have any 4K sources at the moment.

Last edited by Craig Peer; 04-30-2015 at 10:00 AM.
post #1319 of 2651 Old 05-01-2015, 10:19 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quoted: 342 Post(s)
Liked: 87
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gil Arroyo View Post
from the BluRay player upconverted by the 350 is just about indistinguishable. The 350 upconversion from 1080P is excellent, sometimes preferable to native 4K, and the 350 also beats other upconverting sources (like the SONY BDP6200) from 1080P to 2160.
Indeed, the up-converters in the Sony 4K projectors are superb. However, the reason you say that up-converted 1080p is sometimes preferable to native 4k is that, most of the time, streamed content is compressed much, much more than Blu-ray content, so the benefits of the higher resolution are all but negated.
George Kouzev likes this.
post #1320 of 2651 Old 05-02-2015, 02:29 PM

Quoted: 87 Post(s)
Liked: 33
4k uhd when and where?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Michael9009 View Post
Indeed, the up-converters in the Sony 4K projectors are superb. However, the reason you say that up-converted 1080p is sometimes preferable to native 4k is that, most of the time, streamed content is compressed much, much more than Blu-ray content, so the benefits of the higher resolution are all but negated.
Yes, 4K/UHD from a streaming SONY source and then copied to hard drive may be compromised and not classified as the real 4K/UHD.
We may have to wait until delivered via shiny silver discs.
Broadcast 4K/UHD is a murky (what codec are you using) status with "unlikely" in the title. The UTube videos may be closer to the real stuff (Native), but....

Anyone have any good ideas on how to acquire 4K?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply Digital Hi-End Projectors - $3,000+ USD MSRP

Tags
software , sony projector , sony vpl 350 , VPL-VW350ES , VW300ES

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page