The Official Sony VPL-VW300ES/VW350ES Owners Thread - Page 49 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 
 806Likes
Reply
 
Thread Tools
post #1441 of 2651 Old 06-02-2015, 06:04 AM
AVS Forum Addicted Member
 
Mike Garrett's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2011
Posts: 26,517
Mentioned: 241 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 12543 Post(s)
Liked: 10160
Send a message via Skype™ to Mike Garrett
Quote:
Originally Posted by wired1 View Post
Basement, lighting not a problem.
Fixed frame.
3D and 2D
Throw of about 12 feet.
Budget $2-4k
Quote:
Originally Posted by Seegs108 View Post
Personally I'd go with something with a grey base. It will help a bit to increase the perceived amount of contrast you get with this projector. Stewart's Grayhawk or Firehawk could be a good option. Though Stewart does recommend a 1.5x throw distance with the Firehawk material and a 1.4x throw for the Grayhawk to avoid hotspotting. So you'd want to place the projector at 14' to avoid issues with either material. Firehawk might be a better option considering you want to view 3D. In general, the brighter the better and the Firehawk material does have more gain compared to the Grayhawk material.

Though I'm sure Mike can give you some good recommendations and guide you in the right direction.
Gray based would be my segestion also, but with 120" and 12' throw, the FireHawk is out, due to hot spotting. Though at exactly 12' any 120" diagonal 16:9 screen is out, since you need 12'-3" for minimum throw. The GrayHawk would be a good choice.
Mike Garrett is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #1442 of 2651 Old 06-02-2015, 06:50 AM
 
Seegs108's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Location: Upstate New York
Posts: 10,827
Mentioned: 48 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 5167 Post(s)
Liked: 2594
Quote:
Originally Posted by AV Science Sales 5 View Post
Gray based would be my segestion also, but with 120" and 12' throw, the FireHawk is out, due to hot spotting. Though at exactly 12' any 120" diagonal 16:9 screen is out, since you need 12'-3" for minimum throw. The GrayHawk would be a good choice.
Haha, I read the second post where he said 14' but didn't realize he said that was his viewing distance. I think the combination of the two (grayhawk and 350ES) will yield a great image. Even at 120" the 350ES is exceptionally bright and will still look good when watching 3D content.
Seegs108 is offline  
post #1443 of 2651 Old 06-02-2015, 09:35 AM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2014
Posts: 4,367
Mentioned: 68 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1889 Post(s)
Liked: 1086
Cima Tiburon might be an option as wel.
Ellebob is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #1444 of 2651 Old 06-02-2015, 10:00 AM
AVS Forum Addicted Member
 
Mike Garrett's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2011
Posts: 26,517
Mentioned: 241 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 12543 Post(s)
Liked: 10160
Send a message via Skype™ to Mike Garrett
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ellebob View Post
Cima Tiburon might be an option as wel.
Not a bad choice, but would rather not take as much of a hit in gain, since poster wants 3D.
Gil Arroyo likes this.
Mike Garrett is offline  
post #1445 of 2651 Old 06-06-2015, 07:43 PM
Senior Member
 
Aerialsound's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2001
Posts: 358
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 21 Post(s)
Liked: 12
Quote:
Originally Posted by Seegs108 View Post
Personally I'd go with something with a grey base. It will help a bit to increase the perceived amount of contrast you get with this projector. Stewart's Grayhawk or Firehawk could be a good option. Though Stewart does recommend a 1.5x throw distance with the Firehawk material and a 1.4x throw for the Grayhawk to avoid hotspotting. So you'd want to place the projector at 14' to avoid issues with either material. Firehawk might be a better option considering you want to view 3D. In general, the brighter the better and the Firehawk material does have more gain compared to the Grayhawk material.

Though I'm sure Mike can give you some good recommendations and guide you in the right direction.
I agree...I have 108" wide 235 firehawk screen from lens to screen of 18 feet.....great picture.
Aerialsound is offline  
post #1446 of 2651 Old 06-08-2015, 07:08 PM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
JeffR1's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2013
Location: Canada
Posts: 1,698
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1072 Post(s)
Liked: 531
I like to read the whole thread before I post, but I thought I would comment now (I'm up to page 23)
For me FI (frame interpolation) is everything, I can't stand frame judder _ it gives me a headache and hurts my eyes.
I now have a Panasonic PT-AE4000 and it does an OK job with FI, but there is always room for improvement.
Some challenging scenes for are from "The Chronicles of Narnia: The Voyage of the Dawn Treader" and "How To Train Your Dragon 2".


At 2 minutes and 28 seconds with Chronicles of Narnia, watch the planes with FI turned to max, with my 4000, it all goes to Hell... Jump to scene 3 with Train Your Dragon, watch Toothless' wing tips as Hiccup puts him through his flying paces _ watch until 7 minutes and 33 seconds. With the FI turned to max the wing tips, and at times the whole dragon will flicker.

I've demoed the Epson LS10000 and it was worse then my AE4000 and the FI chip in the LS10000 is the same chip that's in the latest 1080p Epson.
The Panasonic AE8000 isn't any better either _ I demoed that too.
So that leaves Sony and JVC.

I've contacted Eastporters down in Ontario and asked them to look at those scenes for me and let me know ( I'm 3000 miles away from Ontario).
The Sony HW40ES faired better then the JVC X500RB.

I called Sony and asked them if the FI chip in the VW350ES is the same as what is in the HW40ES and he said "things are improving all the time"
Not much of an answer _ I think he would like me to buy the VW350ES. 10 grand is allot of money just to find out how well the FI works in a projector.


From what I have read so far in this forum and its links is that 4k movies will still be shot at 24 fps, so much for 60 fps and what's worse is that the 350ES' FI functions don't work at the 4K level, but still I would be curios to know how many artifacts come up with those movie scenes I mentioned earlier.
Or even if the FI is better in 350ES over the HW40ES.


So, OK, I guess I'm asking if someone here has those movies if they could check out the FI function in the 350ES as well as the black frame insertion, that would be much appreciated.


The irony of all this is that I did demo a 350, but the guy didn't have a Blu-ray player hooked up and he would connect one up.
Audio Video Unlimited had the Sony 4k media player hooked up and it was playing a panning scene of some market street in Italy (I'm guessing) not much of a test. It was shot at 60fps, so of course it looked fantastic _ very frustrating.

Last edited by JeffR1; 06-08-2015 at 07:16 PM.
JeffR1 is offline  
post #1447 of 2651 Old 06-08-2015, 07:29 PM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
ultra 150 pilot's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2002
Location: Western mass
Posts: 1,554
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 268 Post(s)
Liked: 245
Quote:
Originally Posted by JeffR1 View Post
I like to read the whole thread before I post, but I thought I would comment now (I'm up to page 23)
For me FI (frame interpolation) is everything, I can't stand frame judder _ it gives me a headache and hurts my eyes.
I now have a Panasonic PT-AE4000 and it does an OK job with FI, but there is always room for improvement.
Some challenging scenes for are from "The Chronicles of Narnia: The Voyage of the Dawn Treader" and "How To Train Your Dragon 2".


At 2 minutes and 28 seconds with Chronicles of Narnia, watch the planes with FI turned to max, with my 4000, it all goes to Hell... Jump to scene 3 with Train Your Dragon, watch Toothless' wing tips as Hiccup puts him through his flying paces _ watch until 7 minutes and 33 seconds. With the FI turned to max the wing tips, and at times the whole dragon will flicker.

I've demoed the Epson LS10000 and it was worse then my AE4000 and the FI chip in the LS10000 is the same chip that's in the latest 1080p Epson.
The Panasonic AE8000 isn't any better either _ I demoed that too.
So that leaves Sony and JVC.

I've contacted Eastporters down in Ontario and asked them to look at those scenes for me and let me know ( I'm 3000 miles away from Ontario).
The Sony HW40ES faired better then the JVC X500RB.

I called Sony and asked them if the FI chip in the VW350ES is the same as what is in the HW40ES and he said "things are improving all the time"
Not much of an answer _ I think he would like me to buy the VW350ES. 10 grand is allot of money just to find out how well the FI works in a projector.


From what I have read so far in this forum and its links is that 4k movies will still be shot at 24 fps, so much for 60 fps and what's worse is that the 350ES' FI functions don't work at the 4K level, but still I would be curios to know how many artifacts come up with those movie scenes I mentioned earlier.
Or even if the FI is better in 350ES over the HW40ES.


So, OK, I guess I'm asking if someone here has those movies if they could check out the FI function in the 350ES as well as the black frame insertion, that would be much appreciated.


The irony of all this is that I did demo a 350, but the guy didn't have a Blu-ray player hooked up and he would connect one up.
Audio Video Unlimited had the Sony 4k media player hooked up and it was playing a panning scene of some market street in Italy (I'm guessing) not much of a test. It was shot at 60fps, so of course it looked fantastic _ very frustrating.
Imo the Sony pjs are terrible with motion and not very good with lesser quality material (HDTV Netflix etc...) I recently had the 350 in my room and it was not enjoyable for me. Dlp is superior with epson and the newer jvc being acceptable.
ultra 150 pilot is offline  
post #1448 of 2651 Old 06-08-2015, 08:15 PM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
JeffR1's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2013
Location: Canada
Posts: 1,698
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1072 Post(s)
Liked: 531
Quote:
Originally Posted by ultra 150 pilot View Post
Imo the Sony pjs are terrible with motion and not very good with lesser quality material (HDTV Netflix etc...) I recently had the 350 in my room and it was not enjoyable for me. Dlp is superior with epson and the newer jvc being acceptable.
Thanks for the reply, I only watch Blu-rays, there's not a darn thing up here in Canada on Netflix unless one likes ancient movies.
You said "not enjoyable"... To much soap opera effect or something else ?
I like the soap opera effect, my problem is when the FI can't keep up with fast moving objects.
They start loosing coherency _ they flicker, either part of the image or the whole thing.
I am guessing that the frame projectors response isn't fast enough for the FI to function properly or there isn't enough information from the original frames for the FI algorithm to interpolate the new frames and this flicking effect happens.

It's a difficult subject to discuss because most people don't like it, it's turned off and there's nothing to talk about.
JeffR1 is offline  
post #1449 of 2651 Old 06-08-2015, 09:28 PM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
cdnscg's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2004
Location: Canada
Posts: 1,708
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 602 Post(s)
Liked: 123
Quote:
Originally Posted by JeffR1 View Post
I like to read the whole thread before I post, but I thought I would comment now (I'm up to page 23)
For me FI (frame interpolation) is everything, I can't stand frame judder _ it gives me a headache and hurts my eyes.
I now have a Panasonic PT-AE4000 and it does an OK job with FI, but there is always room for improvement.
Some challenging scenes for are from "The Chronicles of Narnia: The Voyage of the Dawn Treader" and "How To Train Your Dragon 2".


At 2 minutes and 28 seconds with Chronicles of Narnia, watch the planes with FI turned to max, with my 4000, it all goes to Hell... Jump to scene 3 with Train Your Dragon, watch Toothless' wing tips as Hiccup puts him through his flying paces _ watch until 7 minutes and 33 seconds. With the FI turned to max the wing tips, and at times the whole dragon will flicker.

I've demoed the Epson LS10000 and it was worse then my AE4000 and the FI chip in the LS10000 is the same chip that's in the latest 1080p Epson.
The Panasonic AE8000 isn't any better either _ I demoed that too.
So that leaves Sony and JVC.

I've contacted Eastporters down in Ontario and asked them to look at those scenes for me and let me know ( I'm 3000 miles away from Ontario).
The Sony HW40ES faired better then the JVC X500RB.

I called Sony and asked them if the FI chip in the VW350ES is the same as what is in the HW40ES and he said "things are improving all the time"
Not much of an answer _ I think he would like me to buy the VW350ES. 10 grand is allot of money just to find out how well the FI works in a projector.


From what I have read so far in this forum and its links is that 4k movies will still be shot at 24 fps, so much for 60 fps and what's worse is that the 350ES' FI functions don't work at the 4K level, but still I would be curios to know how many artifacts come up with those movie scenes I mentioned earlier.
Or even if the FI is better in 350ES over the HW40ES.


So, OK, I guess I'm asking if someone here has those movies if they could check out the FI function in the 350ES as well as the black frame insertion, that would be much appreciated.


The irony of all this is that I did demo a 350, but the guy didn't have a Blu-ray player hooked up and he would connect one up.
Audio Video Unlimited had the Sony 4k media player hooked up and it was playing a panning scene of some market street in Italy (I'm guessing) not much of a test. It was shot at 60fps, so of course it looked fantastic _ very frustrating.
No offence, but why/where where you that that the demo of the 350 was not hooked to a blu-ray player.
cdnscg is offline  
post #1450 of 2651 Old 06-08-2015, 09:49 PM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
JeffR1's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2013
Location: Canada
Posts: 1,698
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1072 Post(s)
Liked: 531
Quote:
Originally Posted by cdnscg View Post
No offence, but why/where where you that that the demo of the 350 was not hooked to a blu-ray player.
No offense taken _ not sure why you think I would be offended.
The why; I live on Vancouver Island in BC Canada, and as far as I know it's the only location that's near enough to me that actually has one in the store.

Where; Audio Video Unlimited in Victoria BC _ still a 2 hour drive from my town in Lake Cowichan.

There is Vancouver, but the drive to the ferry, cost of the ferry _ forget it _ just to demo it.

A number of years ago I spent some big bucks on a Sony Pearl and Sony's second generation Blu-ray player _ probably around 6 grand, but haven't bought anything from them in a while.
If they can't smell a sale, I guess they can't be bothered.

Even with the LS10000, they couldn't get the Blu-ray player to function properly with the FI, I had to do all my homework.
I thought I better bring my Blu-ray player and it's lucky I did, I got the FI to work with the Epson, with my own player.

I found out later their Blu-ray player was set to output at 2160p and the Epson didn't like that.
The Epson requires the Player to be set at 1080p 24fps in order for the FI to work.

I even contacted Epson to find out why it didn't work and they told me, I really couldn't find any of this info. in the manual either.
JeffR1 is offline  
post #1451 of 2651 Old 06-08-2015, 10:04 PM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
cdnscg's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2004
Location: Canada
Posts: 1,708
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 602 Post(s)
Liked: 123
Quote:
Originally Posted by JeffR1 View Post
No offense taken _ not sure why you think I would be offended.
The why; I live on Vancouver Island in BC Canada, and as far as I know it's the only location that's near enough to me that actually has one in the store.

Where; Audio Video Unlimited in Victoria BC _ still a 2 hour drive from my town in Lake Cowichan.

There is Vancouver, but the drive to the ferry, cost of the ferry _ forget it _ just to demo it.

A number of years ago I spent some big bucks on a Sony Pearl and Sony's second generation Blu-ray player _ probably around 6 grand, but haven't bought anything from them in a while.
If they can't smell a sale, I guess they can't be bothered.

Even with the LS10000, they couldn't get the Blu-ray player to function properly with the FI, I had to do all my homework.
I thought I better bring my Blu-ray player and it's lucky I did, I got the FI to work with the Epson, with my own player.

I found out later their Blu-ray player was set to output at 2160p and the Epson didn't like that.
The Epson requires the Player to be set at 1080p 24fps in order for the FI to work.

I even contacted Epson to find out why it didn't work and they told me, I really couldn't find any of this info. in the manual either.
I guess my point is what you referred to. If they can't be bothered to hook up a unit that would help demonstrate the potential of the 350 (or 300 in Canada), why would you even consider buying one from them. Trust in recommendations from this forum to help you make decisions. I bought my JVC and SONY pjs without seeing them first, but relying on what members in those forums had to say. Even in Toronto, its hard to find a dealer with top projectors like the 300ES on display.
cdnscg is offline  
post #1452 of 2651 Old 06-09-2015, 06:00 AM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
ultra 150 pilot's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2002
Location: Western mass
Posts: 1,554
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 268 Post(s)
Liked: 245
Quote:
Originally Posted by JeffR1 View Post
Thanks for the reply, I only watch Blu-rays, there's not a darn thing up here in Canada on Netflix unless one likes ancient movies.
You said "not enjoyable"... To much soap opera effect or something else ?
I like the soap opera effect, my problem is when the FI can't keep up with fast moving objects.
They start loosing coherency _ they flicker, either part of the image or the whole thing.
I am guessing that the frame projectors response isn't fast enough for the FI to function properly or there isn't enough information from the original frames for the FI algorithm to interpolate the new frames and this flicking effect happens.

It's a difficult subject to discuss because most people don't like it, it's turned off and there's nothing to talk about.
If your only watching bluray then the motion should be better at 24fps. I don't care for the motion modes, but if you don't mind them more power too ya. I think It comes down to the panel speed and I notice the Sony more than the others.
ultra 150 pilot is offline  
post #1453 of 2651 Old 06-09-2015, 09:40 AM
AVS Forum Addicted Member
 
Craig Peer's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2003
Location: Sacramento, CA
Posts: 16,367
Mentioned: 116 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 6992 Post(s)
Liked: 8280
Quote:
Originally Posted by ultra 150 pilot View Post
Imo the Sony pjs are terrible with motion and not very good with lesser quality material (HDTV Netflix etc...) I recently had the 350 in my room and it was not enjoyable for me. Dlp is superior with epson and the newer jvc being acceptable.
I can't say I agree with that - my VW600 is pretty close to my Lumis motion wise on 24fps movies. I'm using the " True Cinema " setting. I switch back and forth between projectors all the time. Skyfall, GOTG, most action movies look fine. Motion looks different than on my 3 chip DLP. But it doesn't look " terrible ". It did take me a while to find settings on my VW600 I like.

[email protected] JVC RS4500, Lumagen Radiance Pro, Panamorph Paladin DCR lens, Stewart Luxus Model A ElectriScreens - 128" diagonal 2.35:1 ST130 & 122" diagonal 16:9 Cima Neve, Denon X8500, Parasound A 52+ amp, Martin Logan Motion series 9.4 speakers, four SVS subs, Panasonic UB820, Oppo 203, PFP M1500 UPS
Craig Peer is offline  
post #1454 of 2651 Old 06-09-2015, 01:50 PM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
ultra 150 pilot's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2002
Location: Western mass
Posts: 1,554
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 268 Post(s)
Liked: 245
If you read my last post I said the Sony should be fine with with 24fps material!

With 60fps it's another story
ultra 150 pilot is offline  
post #1455 of 2651 Old 06-09-2015, 02:18 PM
AVS Forum Addicted Member
 
Craig Peer's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2003
Location: Sacramento, CA
Posts: 16,367
Mentioned: 116 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 6992 Post(s)
Liked: 8280
Quote:
Originally Posted by ultra 150 pilot View Post
If you read my last post I said the Sony should be fine with with 24fps material!

With 60fps it's another story

I missed that. I don't watch too much HDTV with my VW600 - I prefer my Lumis. So we might agree on this. But HDTV varies picture quality wise all over the map anyway, unfortunately. The old " garbage in, garbage out ".

[email protected] JVC RS4500, Lumagen Radiance Pro, Panamorph Paladin DCR lens, Stewart Luxus Model A ElectriScreens - 128" diagonal 2.35:1 ST130 & 122" diagonal 16:9 Cima Neve, Denon X8500, Parasound A 52+ amp, Martin Logan Motion series 9.4 speakers, four SVS subs, Panasonic UB820, Oppo 203, PFP M1500 UPS
Craig Peer is offline  
post #1456 of 2651 Old 06-09-2015, 02:50 PM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
ultra 150 pilot's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2002
Location: Western mass
Posts: 1,554
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 268 Post(s)
Liked: 245
Quote:
Originally Posted by Craig Peer View Post
I missed that. I don't watch too much HDTV with my VW600 - I prefer my Lumis. So we might agree on this. But HDTV varies picture quality wise all over the map anyway, unfortunately. The old " garbage in, garbage out ".
Unfortunately for me I watch 90 percent HDTV/sports so the Sony doesn't cut it. I'm hoping to grab a high end dlp 3 chipper

Last edited by ultra 150 pilot; 06-09-2015 at 02:55 PM.
ultra 150 pilot is offline  
post #1457 of 2651 Old 06-09-2015, 06:25 PM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
JeffR1's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2013
Location: Canada
Posts: 1,698
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1072 Post(s)
Liked: 531
Does any one here know if the FI function on the 350 or 300 is like the XBR960 function on their 4K displays ?
I went into BestBuy (WorstBuy) today just to see how it functioned and didn't get anywhere with this young smart-ass kid.
I asked "where's the remote" and he said "there isn't one"
He left me hanging and that's it _ I walked out.
Even if he did bother to find it, the Blu-ray player that the TV was connected to was well hidden and inaccessible.
What a horrible experience !


I seriously thinking of buying one, checking it out for a few days and returning it _ just to screw them over.
If anyone here from WorstBuy is reading this, you know where you can go !
JeffR1 is offline  
post #1458 of 2651 Old 06-09-2015, 07:37 PM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
ultra 150 pilot's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2002
Location: Western mass
Posts: 1,554
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 268 Post(s)
Liked: 245
Quote:
Originally Posted by JeffR1 View Post
Does any one here know if the FI function on the 350 or 300 is like the XBR960 function on their 4K displays ?
I went into BestBuy (WorstBuy) today just to see how it functioned and didn't get anywhere with this young smart-ass kid.
I asked "where's the remote" and he said "there isn't one"
He left me hanging and that's it _ I walked out.
Even if he did bother to find it, the Blu-ray player that the TV was connected to was well hidden and inaccessible.
What a horrible experience !


I seriously thinking of buying one, checking it out for a few days and returning it _ just to screw them over.
If anyone here from WorstBuy is reading this, you know where you can go !
Dude, your having some crappy luck! I agree with the bestbuy thing, every time I ask a technical question I end up knowing more about the product than the staff and have to educate the salesperson
ultra 150 pilot is offline  
post #1459 of 2651 Old 06-09-2015, 08:06 PM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
JeffR1's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2013
Location: Canada
Posts: 1,698
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1072 Post(s)
Liked: 531
Quote:
Originally Posted by ultra 150 pilot View Post
Dude, your having some crappy luck! I agree with the bestbuy thing, every time I ask a technical question I end up knowing more about the product than the staff and have to educate the salesperson
Man that is so true, if I use the technical term "frame interpolation", I get this blank look on their face(s).
Even at AVU, which is a higher end store, I get that same look every now and then and I have to fill them in.
It can be so frustrating.
JeffR1 is offline  
post #1460 of 2651 Old 06-10-2015, 06:48 AM
AVS Forum Addicted Member
 
Mike Garrett's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2011
Posts: 26,517
Mentioned: 241 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 12543 Post(s)
Liked: 10160
Send a message via Skype™ to Mike Garrett
Quote:
Originally Posted by ultra 150 pilot View Post
Dude, your having some crappy luck! I agree with the bestbuy thing, every time I ask a technical question I end up knowing more about the product than the staff and have to educate the salesperson
Same here. Because of that, I stopped asking questions long ago.
Mike Garrett is offline  
post #1461 of 2651 Old 06-10-2015, 11:44 AM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
JeffR1's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2013
Location: Canada
Posts: 1,698
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1072 Post(s)
Liked: 531
My curiosity got the best of me, I ordered this.


http://www.bestbuy.ca/en-CA/product/...f72ad9864ben02


It's one of the new models that's HDCP 2.2 compliant with Motion Flow XR 960 _ what ever that is.
Even if the Doofus as WorstBuy decided to help me, I am sure that the model(s) in the store were from 2014/2013.


I am looking forward to returning it when they ask what's wrong.


Not that anyone is interested in FI, but I will keep everyone posted.
JeffR1 is offline  
post #1462 of 2651 Old 06-10-2015, 02:11 PM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
wired1's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2005
Posts: 1,152
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 234 Post(s)
Liked: 241
Well, I pulled the trigger. Proud owner of a 350.

Building a house, so it won't get installed until mid September, but the anticipation will be fun and the actual install will be great

Looking forward to seeing it in action!

Now... When the time comes... I guess I'll want Netflix 4k membership and a SONY 4k player thingy.

Hopefully 4K BD actually comes out this year and I can get a player

Thanks for all of the help and support. Truly appreciated!
Craig Peer likes this.
wired1 is offline  
post #1463 of 2651 Old 06-10-2015, 02:40 PM
AVS Forum Addicted Member
 
Craig Peer's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2003
Location: Sacramento, CA
Posts: 16,367
Mentioned: 116 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 6992 Post(s)
Liked: 8280
Quote:
Originally Posted by wired1 View Post
Well, I pulled the trigger. Proud owner of a 350.

Building a house, so it won't get installed until mid September, but the anticipation will be fun and the actual install will be great

Looking forward to seeing it in action!

Now... When the time comes... I guess I'll want Netflix 4k membership and a SONY 4k player thingy.

Hopefully 4K BD actually comes out this year and I can get a player

Thanks for all of the help and support. Truly appreciated!

Best to test it out and make sure it isn't DOA - don't wait until Sept. to turn it on.

[email protected] JVC RS4500, Lumagen Radiance Pro, Panamorph Paladin DCR lens, Stewart Luxus Model A ElectriScreens - 128" diagonal 2.35:1 ST130 & 122" diagonal 16:9 Cima Neve, Denon X8500, Parasound A 52+ amp, Martin Logan Motion series 9.4 speakers, four SVS subs, Panasonic UB820, Oppo 203, PFP M1500 UPS
Craig Peer is offline  
post #1464 of 2651 Old 06-10-2015, 03:44 PM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
wired1's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2005
Posts: 1,152
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 234 Post(s)
Liked: 241
It's through my job. If it's DOA, I get a replacement no questions.

But I appreciate the good advice
wired1 is offline  
post #1465 of 2651 Old 06-10-2015, 07:07 PM
AVS Forum Addicted Member
 
Mike Garrett's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2011
Posts: 26,517
Mentioned: 241 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 12543 Post(s)
Liked: 10160
Send a message via Skype™ to Mike Garrett
Quote:
Originally Posted by wired1 View Post
It's through my job. If it's DOA, I get a replacement no questions.

But I appreciate the good advice
There is a big difference in DOA and telling someone that it is DOA six months after receiving it. If you buy from a dealer and it is DOA, the dealer can get Sony to replace it. If you buy from a dealer and wait six months to tell the dealer that it is DOA, the dealer will not be able to get Sony to replace it.
Mike Garrett is offline  
post #1466 of 2651 Old 06-10-2015, 07:10 PM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
ultra 150 pilot's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2002
Location: Western mass
Posts: 1,554
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 268 Post(s)
Liked: 245
Quote:
Originally Posted by wired1 View Post
It's through my job. If it's DOA, I get a replacement no questions.

But I appreciate the good advice
Just turn the thing on and shoot it at the wall,You will know immediately if it's good or not
ultra 150 pilot is offline  
post #1467 of 2651 Old 06-10-2015, 07:25 PM
 
Seegs108's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Location: Upstate New York
Posts: 10,827
Mentioned: 48 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 5167 Post(s)
Liked: 2594
I've read a lot of "I waited 6 months to turn my projector on because my room/project wasn't completed yet and my projector has a major problem" stories lately. I'd follow the advice and test it out now. Check for big misconvergence issues, lens focus issues, odd noises, that the iris works properly and just that general PQ looks good.
Seegs108 is offline  
post #1468 of 2651 Old 06-11-2015, 05:52 AM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
wired1's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2005
Posts: 1,152
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 234 Post(s)
Liked: 241
Thanks all. Good and proper advice. I am in a truly unique scenario where it really doesn't matter, but I understand and appreciate the advice.

That said, anyone have the 4k player? Is it worth it? How is sound quality? Is the sound compressed?

Thanks!

I may open it and check it out, anyway, out of pure curiosity.
JeffR1 likes this.
wired1 is offline  
post #1469 of 2651 Old 06-11-2015, 07:39 AM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
JeffR1's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2013
Location: Canada
Posts: 1,698
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1072 Post(s)
Liked: 531
Quote:
Originally Posted by wired1 View Post

I may open it and check it out, anyway, out of pure curiosity.
Yah, I was just thinking that, how can you not wait and open/turn it on !

Last edited by JeffR1; 06-11-2015 at 05:55 PM.
JeffR1 is offline  
post #1470 of 2651 Old 06-11-2015, 10:06 AM
AVS Forum Addicted Member
 
Mike Garrett's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2011
Posts: 26,517
Mentioned: 241 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 12543 Post(s)
Liked: 10160
Send a message via Skype™ to Mike Garrett
Quote:
Originally Posted by wired1 View Post
Thanks all. Good and proper advice. I am in a truly unique scenario where it really doesn't matter, but I understand and appreciate the advice.

That said, anyone have the 4k player? Is it worth it? How is sound quality? Is the sound compressed?

Thanks!

I may open it and check it out, anyway, out of pure curiosity.
What I was trying to get across, it might not matter to you, but it might matter to the person supplying you the projector. Generally it is much easier on the supplier, if an issue is pointed out right away.
Mike Garrett is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
Reply Digital Hi-End Projectors - $3,000+ USD MSRP

Tags
software , sony projector , sony vpl 350 , VPL-VW350ES , VW300ES

Thread Tools
Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page


Forum Jump: 

Posting Rules  
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off