• 1 Post By old corps
  • 1 Post By ejhbay

post #1 of 15 Old 02-12-2015, 08:48 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Liked: 11
upgraded to Epson 5030

After a long time debating over Epson 5030 and sony 40es.. I made the plunge on the 5030. I would have gone with the sony if it had better zoom. but had to place it 19' back.
I have been using a Viewsonic pro8100 for the last 5 years and recently replaced the bulb and it just never seemed to be the same or it may have been just in my head so it would give me excuse to buy a new projector..lol
I hooked up the Epson quickly tonite and I like it but I am not blown away!!! It doesn't seem much better than my Viewsonic. I played around a bit and certain scenes look real good but not really worth the upgrade. im not sure what I was expecting but I think I woulda stayed with the viewsonic.
Will play around tomorrow with settings..Does anyone know if 5030 is out of the box good or needs lots tweaking? Has anyone else upgraded to the Epson from the viewsonic ?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 15 Old 02-12-2015, 09:09 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 729 Post(s)
Liked: 440
Have you used a calibration disk to at least do a basic calibration of it? What content have you been viewing?
Ftoast likes this.
post #3 of 15 Old 02-12-2015, 09:21 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 104 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2720 Post(s)
Liked: 908
If your walls/ceiling are light-colored and/or you're simply not much of a black-level noticer, the difference between the two won't be that big.
The main benefit of the 5030 or any higher-end PJ over a solid DLP is a nice improvement to contrast/black-levels, but it's usually only a big difference if the room is dark and treated with dark paint or fabric to keep reflections down..and then you still have to be the sort of person who watches for high contrast where some folks aren't cursed and won't really notice or care.

Turning it to cinema mode and adjusting brightness and contrast is always a good plan.

Easy $25 DIY black (or any color) ALR paint +$40-$50sprayer screen mix smooth/clean and very easy to learn spraying with little/no mess.
Simple $25-40 DIY black/dark-grey ambient-light rejecting screen, grab two things from a local store..mix..roll..done.
Quick <$250 dedicated black-fabric theater room "A store that sells blinds can help your picture more than a store that sells projectors many times." -bud16415
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 15 Old 02-12-2015, 09:35 PM - Thread Starter

Room is totally blacked out ... 120" grey elunevision screen.
Ya I haven't calibrated anything.. just played around a bit with settings.. and watched a couple scenes from a couple movies.
The viewsonic pro8100 is also lcd not dlp. guess was just expecting to be blown away... still happy with purchase.
post #5 of 15 Old 02-13-2015, 05:35 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 104 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2720 Post(s)
Liked: 908
Oops, I'm dumb, pro8100 not pro8200.
I was wondering why this was in the $3000+.
Your 8100 wasn't as good out-of-the-box, but a bit of calibration should've had it and the Epson pretty close. The 8100 was a $5000 model at one point that's capable of 3000:1 on/off contrast which isn't miles behind Epson's ~7000:1 and gets even closer if you aren't using the Epson's dynamic iris.

Easy $25 DIY black (or any color) ALR paint +$40-$50sprayer screen mix smooth/clean and very easy to learn spraying with little/no mess.
Simple $25-40 DIY black/dark-grey ambient-light rejecting screen, grab two things from a local store..mix..roll..done.
Quick <$250 dedicated black-fabric theater room "A store that sells blinds can help your picture more than a store that sells projectors many times." -bud16415

Last edited by Ftoast; 02-13-2015 at 05:39 AM.
post #6 of 15 Old 02-13-2015, 10:31 AM - Thread Starter

so really not much of an upgrade...lol
and sorry ya just noticed in 3000$ plus should have posted in the under 3...
post #7 of 15 Old 02-13-2015, 08:36 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 217 Post(s)
Liked: 120
Quote:
Originally Posted by ejhbay View Post
After a long time debating over Epson 5030 and sony 40es.. I made the plunge on the 5030. I would have gone with the sony if it had better zoom. but had to place it 19' back.
I have been using a Viewsonic pro8100 for the last 5 years and recently replaced the bulb and it just never seemed to be the same or it may have been just in my head so it would give me excuse to buy a new projector..lol
I hooked up the Epson quickly tonite and I like it but I am not blown away!!! It doesn't seem much better than my Viewsonic. I played around a bit and certain scenes look real good but not really worth the upgrade. im not sure what I was expecting but I think I woulda stayed with the viewsonic.
Will play around tomorrow with settings..Does anyone know if 5030 is out of the box good or needs lots tweaking? Has anyone else upgraded to the Epson from the viewsonic ?

Sorry you're disappointed but I also went from the VS Pro8100 to the 5030 and am extremely pleased. Sharper, brighter and MUCH improved black levels. I think my biggest problem with the 8100 was that my throw is 18 1/2' to a 120" screen and it really lacks enough brightness for me. My room isn't a totally blacked out cave but it's pretty close. If I could've mounted it closer and used maybe a 100" screen it probably would have better. Don't get me wrong the 8100 is a great projector, I still love it and do miss the power zoom, focus and lens shift. Now it's just sitting on a shelf collecting dust..........kinda sad. Anyone looking for one in like new condition with under 2K hours and an extra lamp?

Ed

BTW, did you do the firmware update for Super Resolution? Makes quite an improvement,
post #8 of 15 Old 02-13-2015, 08:46 PM - Thread Starter

Thanks fort he response. .
Looks like the new firmware is already loaded.

I too am about19' from a 120" screen.. that is why i went with the Epson over the Sony. ..

I will hopefully have a little more time with it next couple days to play around..

my screen is a grey screen and am wondering if I would be better off with a white one.
post #9 of 15 Old 02-14-2015, 05:04 AM

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked: 0
Quote:

I too am about19' from a 120" screen.. that is why i went with the Epson over the Sony. ..

I will hopefully have a little more time with it next couple days to play around..

my screen is a grey screen and am wondering if I would be better off with a white one.
Our Epson is calibrated and used in a light controlled room.

I own a white screen and i`m not very impressed by the 5030 as well...
Everybody keeps talking about impressive black level, but i`m, just like you, not overwhelmed by the Epson.
Particurlarly dark scenes (not black but dark scenes) are a disappointment.
post #10 of 15 Old 02-14-2015, 06:34 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:

YW. My screen is a "budget" 1.3 gain white Focupix. Hope you'll be happier after some fiddling. I'm NO expert but I don't think I'd want a grey screen in a "blacked out" room.

Ed
post #11 of 15 Old 02-14-2015, 06:36 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by bassiened View Post
Our Epson is calibrated and used in a light controlled room.

I own a white screen and i`m not very impressed by the 5030 as well...
Everybody keeps talking about impressive black level, but i`m, just like you, not overwhelmed by the Epson.
Particurlarly dark scenes (not black but dark scenes) are a disappointment.

Strange. Dark scenes are where I see the biggest improvement.........

Ed
Kilgore likes this.
post #12 of 15 Old 02-14-2015, 09:10 AM

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked: 0
Quote:
Originally Posted by old corps View Post
Strange. Dark scenes are where I see the biggest improvement.........

Ed
Really?!

i`ve tried everything (even changed from projector) but nothing helps improving the hazy image in dark scenes...
I guess it comes with a LCD projector...

i`m still thinking to buy a X35 and sell the Epson because of this.
It`s a shame that photo`s don`t show the problem, I would love to compare the image of different 5030`s.

Luuk
post #13 of 15 Old 02-16-2015, 10:39 AM - Thread Starter

haven't had a chance to try out again. but think I will order a white screen.
post #14 of 15 Old 03-06-2015, 12:21 PM - Thread Starter

New screen and 100% happy now

Wow... I am now happy with my 5030 upgrade....
I ordered a new (white) screen and it is beyond my expectations... I have no regret not getting the Sony 40es either... Colors are spot on..Blacks are ink black and brightness is a plenty... Huge upgrade over my old viewsonic pro8100.
watched a couple movies last nite with a big smile..... cant wait to watch more!
old corps likes this.
post #15 of 15 Old 03-06-2015, 02:51 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Wow... I am now happy with my 5030 upgrade....
I ordered a new (white) screen and it is beyond my expectations... I have no regret not getting the Sony 40es either... Colors are spot on..Blacks are ink black and brightness is a plenty... Huge upgrade over my old viewsonic pro8100.
watched a couple movies last nite with a big smile..... cant wait to watch more!

Exactly my experience. Still love my Pro8100 but love the brightness & blacks of the 5030 more.

Ed
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply Digital Hi-End Projectors - $3,000+ USD MSRP

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page