Ifa berlin 2015 new projectors - Page 36 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 
 657Likes

post #1051 of 1836 Old 09-08-2015, 12:26 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 459 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2338 Post(s)
Liked: 3040
Thanks Ekki !!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #1052 of 1836 Old 09-08-2015, 12:30 AM

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quoted: 1133 Post(s)
Liked: 729
Quote:
Originally Posted by Manni01 View Post
I mean about the lack of P3 support. Watching UHD Bluray without P3 support means not caring about color accuracy, or putting brightness over color accuracy (which is fine by the way, every one is dealing with various priorities).

Otherwise this is exactly as I said: you don't care about UHD Bluray and you don't care about HDR UHD, so the X5000 is a great, cheap upgrade if you are a yearly swapper and are still waiting for a fully compliant model.

If I was in your shoes, a yearly updater, not caring about UHD Bluray or HDR UHDTV and having a huge screen like yours, I would consider also consider options exactly the way you do, in the exact same order.

I'm in the exact opposite situation: I'm in a setup which allows me to get the specs on/off from the JVCs (iris fully closed), I do care about UHD Bluray and UHD HDR because that's the main reason why I'm considering upgrading this year, and ideally I prefer to upgrade every three years. Keeping the X500 isn't an option for me (I bought it knowing it was a stop-gap projector and waited for it to be much cheaper to buy) the only options are the X7000/X9000 or the Sony 520ES.

I guess most other people fall somewhere in between us, so have more difficult choices to face. As long as they keep in mind the brightness loss in UHD Bluray/P3 and apparent brightness loss with HDR content in their screen setup, they should be fine.

I don't think it's by chance if JVC didn't show any HDR content, and I don't think it's by chance if the specs they gave for peak brightness on the X9000 with HDR (150cd/m2) was with a 100" screen. If you understand how HDR works, it should be telling you something.

I am very interested in UHD BD and HDR and would like to see it as it is intended by the colorist and director, but I dont think it will be very well implemented the first generation and I dont want to buy a cheap Samsung UHD player just to try it. Of corse I imported a HD DVD player from the US as soon as it was awailable so I might have to reconcider my statements later and that is why I leave the door open for the X7000.

I dont understand why you concider the VW520 when it is in the same situation as the X5000 not supporting P3/DCI and will have less contrast and less lighoutput, but it is of corse native 4K. I see the X5000 to be a better option than the VW520 due to the much better on/off and much lower price.
post #1053 of 1836 Old 09-08-2015, 12:38 AM
J.P

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 127 Post(s)
Liked: 45
Quote:
Originally Posted by Andreas21 View Post
Of corse I imported a HD DVD player from the US as soon as it was awailable so I might have to reconcider my statements later and that is why I leave the door open for the X7000.
Hehe, i bought a HD-dvd player as soon as it was available at HiFi-Klubben, i think it was a Toshiba. We all know how that turned out... but it was a good dvd player at the time, i think it had HQV video-processing
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #1054 of 1836 Old 09-08-2015, 12:46 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by J.P View Post
Hehe, i bought a HD-dvd player as soon as it was available at HiFi-Klubben, i think it was a Toshiba. We all know how that turned out... but it was a good dvd player at the time, i think it had HQV video-processing

I actually thougt HD DVD was going to win the war in the beginning, but saw the outcome quite early and sold my HD DVD Collection of 70 movies and player (the latest Toshiba) for cheap. I had already started collecting BDs and imported a PS3 from the US. I owned 3 different Toshiba HD DVD player in that short time...

Today I have about 800 BDs.
post #1055 of 1836 Old 09-08-2015, 12:59 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 310 Post(s)
Quoted: 5361 Post(s)
Liked: 5421
Quote:
I am very interested in UHD BD and HDR and would like to see it as it is intended by the colorist and director, but I dont think it will be very well implemented the first generation and I dont want to buy a cheap Samsung UHD player just to try it. Of corse I imported a HD DVD player from the US as soon as it was awailable so I might have to reconcider my statements later and that is why I leave the door open for the X7000.

I dont understand why you concider the VW520 when it is in the same situation as the X5000 not supporting P3/DCI and will have less contrast and less lighoutput, but it is of corse native 4K. I see the X5000 to be a better option than the VW520 due to the much better on/off and much lower price.
The Samsung UHD Bluray player is only the first announced. I would bet that Sony will announce their own player along with the 1200ES (the first projector fully compliant with UHD Bluray), most likely at CEDIA or at the latest at CES. They can't launch UHD Bluray and not have a UHD Bluray player and fully compliant projector. I also expect Panasonic and others to do the same and announce their player by the end of the year, and Oppo sometime in 2016. So there will be plenty of options. The cheapest of all of these will do me fine as long as it has the streaming options I want (mostly Amazon HDR) and a USB port to plug-in a compliant HDD for offline storage of the movies.

I consider the 520ES because I'm not as obsessed as others with on/off contrast as the sole indication of PQ. It's hugely important to me, but the better ANSI on the Sony native 4K and their decent DI in limited mode made the 500ES very close to be as good or better than the X500 except in low APL (with max brightness set to min, so max native on/off). As I watch a lot of dark content (thrilers, sci-fi), and because the 500ES was so far from being compliant with any of the upcoming formats, I went for a cheap but excellent X500 as a stop-gap for this year, but if the 520ES has made any progress in black level and on/off (as the 50% improvement in DI performance might suggest), it might become, from a PQ point of view, a serious contender now that it's almost fully compliant, bar P3 support.

I need to see them both (the X7000 and the 520ES) because the specs only help up to a point. What's going to make the difference between the two is how well HDR is implemented, and how the DI deals with it. I honestly don't need to see the new projectors for HD content, apart from the streaking I'm 1000% happy with the X500. The only thing I'm interested in is how the new PJ handle UHD Bluray and UHDTV.

The lack of P3 support is a bummer on the 520ES, but depending on how well they handle the conversion from P3 to rec-709 (I don't have any illusion that triluminos will give us anything significantly wider than rec-709 based on the native gamut of the 500ES), I might decide to go for it, simply because I like to keep projectors longer and I believe a native 4K projector like the 520ES which is almost fully compliant for 99% of the potential buyers will hold its value better if I keep it for 2-3 years, which is what I'd like to do if I upgrade the X500 this year.

Apart from the streaking, one thing that annoys me is the way the JVCs add some noise to the picture, which the Sony 4K don't do. That's another reason, along with better ANSI, much better 3D, better motion (pending the enhanced motion), better OOTB calibration, why I'm considering the 520ES, provided its 18Gb/s HDMI 2.0 interface is confirmed (otherwise it's the X7000, I won't even consider the 520ES).

Yes it won't be playing UHD Bluray 100% perfect, but if it's good enough in the way it handles it especially re HDR and P3 to rec-709 conversion, and if it's made enough progress re black levels and native on/off so that I can watch thrillers and sci-fi without missing my X500, then I might go for it.

I'm thinking about TCO (total cost of ownership) over the next few years rather than purchase cost, and in my case the 520ES might be a better option. Whatever I upgrade to this year, I keep 2-3 years, as the next one will definitely be laser and native 4K. The idea is to avoid the 1st gen from JVC .

The best option would be to buy the 1200ES, and if I could justify it that's what I would buy this year, but that would cost me a divorce, so not really an option for me

Also, given my screen size, it would be, as Mike puts it, like using a hammer to swat a fly . I don't need/want such a big/power hungry projector to light up an 88" screen in a small room with one row. That wouldn't make much sense...

The X7000 would be great because I wouldn't even have to tell my wife. I just have to say that the X500 is broken and is replaced under warranty. She'll never know

Last edited by Manni01; 09-08-2015 at 01:09 AM.
post #1056 of 1836 Old 09-08-2015, 01:13 AM

Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Quoted: 97 Post(s)
Liked: 116
Quote:
For those who are after a bargain rather than after the most compliant or best performing projector, who are using their JVC with the iris fully open, who don't care about P3, who are not upgrading from an X500, I totally agree that the X5000 shouldn't be written off. It should even be on the top of the list given the fact that no projector is fully compliant this year still. If it's an option for you to get yet another stop gap projector while we wait for a fully compliant one, it's probably the projector to get. But I already have an excellent stop-gap projector, it's the X500
Manni, quite frankly I've been a bit irritated over your narrow focus, centered around the fact you own an X500 + 88" screen. Just the fact that I have intrinsic knowledge that another specific forum participant owns an 88" screen is remarkable! You draw many wise conclusions and write a lot, so those conclusions could be better offered to a much wider audience if you took a step outside of your world...

And BAM you deliver the paragraph that will probably guide my investment decision most this autumn!

You see, I sit in quite the opposite situation. I have an X30 that I have not seen enough reason to upgrade from for a while. My 2nd lamp is on 1138H and dimming by the day. It has to fill out a 142" Scope screen, that it was clearly not designed to cope with in the first place. Hence anything but a fully opened iris is no alternative. I honestly must say that while I know that the X30 it's slightly sub-par for my huge screen, I have thoroughly enjoyed the picture over those years! (At least while the lamp is sub 1000H).

But I feel that I reeeeally want an upgrade! I actually started saving up monthly to the big 4k upgrade fund in August 2013, speculating that there would be a fully compliant UHD projector with inky blacks around the price point of the 320ES/X7000 announced at IFA 2015, that I could acquire around Dec 2015. It seems that development is slower than my wishes over 2 years ago! In the situation I am now, I think that the best alternative is to go for a stop-gap, and then go for what's on offer with the same time schedule in 2017 instead.

When eyeing the X5000 I'm specifically enticed over the greater light output due to my screen size. I'm a bit worried about the 40.000:1 CR, where my X30 from so long ago actually was still specced to 50.000:1. I would not like to lose my beloved deep blacks...

I notice that my kid side is eager to take a decision now, based on rudimentary show room screenings, while my slightly more grown up side of course advices to wait and see for the final reviews, which is the only sound conclusion. So let's speculate some more, while waiting for production kit!!!
Manni01 and westmd like this.
post #1057 of 1836 Old 09-08-2015, 01:36 AM

Quote:
The Samsung UHD Bluray player is only the first announced. I would bet that Sony will announce their own player along with the 1200ES (the first projector fully compliant with UHD Bluray), most likely at CEDIA or at the latest at CES. They can't launch UHD Bluray and not have a UHD Bluray player and fully compliant projector. I also expect Panasonic and others to do the same and announce their player by the end of the year, and Oppo sometime in 2016. So there will be plenty of options. The cheapest of all of these will do me fine as long as it has the streaming options I want (mostly Amazon HDR) and a USB port to plug-in a compliant HDD for offline storage of the movies.

I consider the 520ES because I'm not as obsessed as others with on/off contrast as the sole indication of PQ. It's hugely important to me, but the better ANSI on the Sony native 4K and their decent DI in limited mode made the 500ES very close to be as good or better than the X500 except in low APL (with max brightness set to min, so max native on/off). As I watch a lot of dark content (thrilers, sci-fi), and because the 500ES was so far from being compliant with any of the upcoming formats, I went for a cheap but excellent X500 as a stop-gap for this year, but if the 520ES has made any progress in black level and on/off (as the 50% improvement in DI performance might suggest), it might become, from a PQ point of view, a serious contender now that it's almost fully compliant, bar P3 support.

I need to see them both (the X7000 and the 520ES) because the specs only help up to a point. What's going to make the difference between the two is how well HDR is implemented, and how the DI deals with it. I honestly don't need to see the new projectors for HD content, apart from the streaking I'm 1000% happy with the X500. The only thing I'm interested in is how the new PJ handle UHD Bluray and UHDTV.

The lack of P3 support is a bummer on the 520ES, but depending on how well they handle the conversion from P3 to rec-709 (I don't have any illusion that triluminos will give us anything significantly wider than rec-709 based on the native gamut of the 500ES), I might decide to go for it, simply because I like to keep projectors longer and I believe a native 4K projector like the 520ES which is almost fully compliant for 99% of the potential buyers will hold its value better if I keep it for 2-3 years, which is what I'd like to do if I upgrade the X500 this year.

Apart from the streaking, one thing that annoys me is the way the JVCs add some noise to the picture, which the Sony 4K don't do. That's another reason, along with better ANSI, much better 3D, better motion (pending the enhanced motion), better OOTB calibration, why I'm considering the 520ES, provided its 18Gb/s HDMI 2.0 interface is confirmed (otherwise it's the X7000, I won't even consider the 520ES).

Yes it won't be playing UHD Bluray 100% perfect, but if it's good enough in the way it handles it especially re HDR and P3 to rec-709 conversion, and if it's made enough progress re black levels and native on/off so that I can watch thrillers and sci-fi without missing my X500, then I might go for it.

I'm thinking about TCO (total cost of ownership) over the next few years rather than purchase cost, and in my case the 520ES might be a better option. Whatever I upgrade to this year, I keep 2-3 years, as the next one will definitely be laser and native 4K. The idea is to avoid the 1st gen from JVC .

The best option would be to buy the 1200ES, and if I could justify it that's what I would buy this year, but that would cost me a divorce, so not really an option for me

Also, given my screen size, it would be, as Mike puts it, like using a hammer to swat a fly . I don't need/want such a big/power hungry projector to light up an 88" screen in a small room with one row. That wouldn't make much sense...

The X7000 would be great because I wouldn't even have to tell my wife. I just have to say that the X500 is broken and is replaced under warranty. She'll never know

I think you are very obsessed with on/off, if not you would consider the X5000.

I am not so sure Sony will release a VW1200 for 2016. My Sony contact has not even heard of a VW1100 replacement, but of corse it might happen.

The first rumors I heard from JVC earlier this year said 4K laser, but later I heard it will not come and only minor upgrades (bigger than expected) to the Xx00 series would come and this was true. I also heard about the VW320, 520 and HW65 some time ago, but no VW1200 so we will see in the near future what happens.
Manni01 likes this.
post #1058 of 1836 Old 09-08-2015, 01:38 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

@Peak : I'm trying not to be narrow-focused, except when people question my choices. But you're 100% right, I should just give up about explaining my reasons for choosing a projector over another, they are not relevant to most people, especially in the U.S.

I promise you that I'll do my best to post less .
post #1059 of 1836 Old 09-08-2015, 01:44 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quoted: 674 Post(s)
Liked: 310
I'm kinda lost here - so in a dark walled, fully light controlled room, what's more important - ANSI or On/Off contrast numbers?

Display : JVC X7000 Projector | SE 103" Enlightor 4k | LG 65B6 OLED |
Sources : Panasonic UDP 700 & Vertex| Apple TV4k | HTPC | Sky Q UHD Satellite | Sonos Connect | Synology 24Tb |
Audio : Marantz 8802A | Genelec 8050 LCR | Monitor Audio IDC Sides & Rears | Seaton Sub Master/Slave |
post #1060 of 1836 Old 09-08-2015, 01:52 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AidenL View Post
I'm kinda lost here - so in a dark walled, fully light controlled room, what's more important - ANSI or On/Off contrast numbers?

The most important is a combination of both!

In very bright scenes the Ansi is more important, but in the darker end the on/off is more important. I find todays JVC Xx00 series to be the best compromise as it has the best dark capabilities together with ok bright capabilities. So it is a matter of what is most importand to you the Sonys have better bright capabilities than the Xx00 series, but is waay behind in the very dark scenes due to the much lower on/off.
AidenL and Manni01 like this.

Last edited by Andreas21; 09-08-2015 at 02:00 AM.
post #1061 of 1836 Old 09-08-2015, 01:58 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quoted: 674 Post(s)
Liked: 310
Quote:
The most important is a combination of both!

In very Bright scenes the Ansi is more important, but in the darker end the on/off is more important. I find todays JVC Xx00 series to be the best compromise as it has the best dark capabilities together with ok bright capabilities. So it is a matter of ewhat is most importand to you the Sonys have better bright capabilities than the Xx00 series, but is waay behind in the very dark scenes due to the much lower on/off.
Sounds like a JVC will always, always, be better in a dark room then, whereas Sonys strength will be in semi-dedicated or living room applications then?

I might hold my X500 for another year too then

Display : JVC X7000 Projector | SE 103" Enlightor 4k | LG 65B6 OLED |
Sources : Panasonic UDP 700 & Vertex| Apple TV4k | HTPC | Sky Q UHD Satellite | Sonos Connect | Synology 24Tb |
Audio : Marantz 8802A | Genelec 8050 LCR | Monitor Audio IDC Sides & Rears | Seaton Sub Master/Slave |
post #1062 of 1836 Old 09-08-2015, 02:04 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AidenL View Post
Sounds like a JVC will always, always, be better in a dark room then, whereas Sonys strength will be in semi-dedicated or living room applications then?

I might hold my X500 for another year too then

It depends, my VW1100 had much worse low end capabilities than the X500, but I still prefered the total picture quality of the VW1100 when side by side testing the two. But it was time to sell the VW1100 and I dont miss it that much after 8 months with only the X500 in my HT.
Manni01 likes this.
post #1063 of 1836 Old 09-08-2015, 02:25 AM

Quote:
I actually thougt HD DVD was going to win the war in the beginning, but saw the outcome quite early and sold my HD DVD Collection of 70 movies and player (the latest Toshiba) for cheap. I had already started collecting BDs and imported a PS3 from the US. I owned 3 different Toshiba HD DVD player in that short time...
Haha, same here. Only difference is that the Toshiba still sits in my rack! Why sell, when I have loads of HD movies I don't need to change to Blu-ray? Better wait to upgrade for UHD
post #1064 of 1836 Old 09-08-2015, 02:31 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cine4Home View Post
Attention please: Hard Facts coming up!

We had the possibility to measure one of the JVC DLA-X5000 preproduction models.
Contrast Values, brightness and 4K processing will surprise you I guess:

http://www.cine4home.de/tests/projek..._beta-test.htm

(german language as usual)

Regards,
Ekki
Thanks. Your guidance is invaluable, as always over the years. Can't wait to go see the X5000 for myself in a couple of weeks! Just hope the Euro price decrease X5000/X500 will be reflected in my local currency...
post #1065 of 1836 Old 09-08-2015, 03:35 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

I missed in my earlier post (questions to Ekki) that he evaluates at 25% the brightness loss when the P3 filter is engaged on the X7000/X9000, as expected:

"The slightly extended color space allows, if necessary, a bit more colorful image display, but does not reach the DCI standard. This also remains the two big brothers X7000 / X9000 reserved, which is produced by a filter in the corresponding presets in the green path. Although the color gamut expansion by filtering costs around 25% of light, but by the very high light reserves, the picture remains still very bright (more than 1000 lumens) "

It's good to have this confirmation because it gives us an idea of what the cost of fully supporting UHD Bluray is going to be. Not too bad (same as LS10000, better than the VW1x00ES which is around 40%).

Thanks Ekki!
DavidHir likes this.

Last edited by Manni01; 09-08-2015 at 03:43 AM.
post #1066 of 1836 Old 09-08-2015, 04:08 AM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 128 Post(s)
Liked: 96
Did I miss the availability window for the new JVC lineup or has it not been announced?
post #1067 of 1836 Old 09-08-2015, 04:10 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by cischico View Post
Did I miss the availability window for the new JVC lineup or has it not been announced?

November is what is announced, at least in Europe for the X series, but given that they are still showing pre-production models without HDR, it might take a bit longer to get the actual units. I would expect anything between December and January 2016.
post #1068 of 1836 Old 09-08-2015, 04:49 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Interesting feedback in this other Hands-On (whether some like it or not, that's what journalist spending 30mn with a projector call it, please complain to them if you disagree and don't shoot the messenger) about the capability of the Sony 520ES to convert non HDR material to HDR as well as impressions on native HDR content and the DI's behaviour:
http://www.forbes.com/sites/johnarch...-4k-projector/
Note: the reviewer is the same as in the Trusted Review hands on and seems to show a strong bias towards Sony and a strong bias against JVC.
DavidHir likes this.

Last edited by Manni01; 09-08-2015 at 04:52 AM.
post #1069 of 1836 Old 09-08-2015, 06:05 AM
AVS Forum Addicted Member

Mentioned: 31 Post(s)
Quoted: 2532 Post(s)
Liked: 2198
I'm starting to question just how beneficial HDR is going to be for projection owners - it seems like flat panels have the greatest benefit by far. But I think other UHD factors will be of better benefit for projection owners such as resolution (with real native 4K sources - not upscaled 2K DIs), 10 bit, and P3.
post #1070 of 1836 Old 09-08-2015, 06:43 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 724 Post(s)
Liked: 275
Do any of the new PJs seem particularly well suited to pairing with a Lumagen Radiance video processor? Perhaps skimping on internal calibration, but excelling where it matters (lens quality?, light output, etc).

HT: Panasonic DP-UB820 | JVC RS600 | 106" x 45" Stewart ST 100 | Cary Audio Cinema 12 | NAD M27 | Elac Uni-Fi UF5, UC5, Debut F5/B6; Focal CMS Sub
STEREO: [Shunyata Denali] Playback Designs MPS-5 (fully upgraded) | Cary Audio SLP-05 tube line level | Cary Audio SA-200.2 ES | Focal Diablo Utopia III DEN: 60" Panasonic VT60
post #1071 of 1836 Old 09-08-2015, 06:47 AM

Mentioned: 232 Post(s)
Quoted: 11822 Post(s)
Liked: 9357
Send a message via Skype™ to Mike Garrett
Quote:
Originally Posted by OzHDHT View Post
Mike as I recall when I swapped out my 1000 for a factory 1100 it was delivered here to me in late Nov 13. So it kind of depends what part of the world you're in as sometimes the US market isn't always first out of the blocks..
Sorry, I should have been clear. In the US, Sony started shipping the VW1000 in February 2012.
post #1072 of 1836 Old 09-08-2015, 06:52 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kraine View Post
One little bad News for people in the US that might be interested by the white version of the Sony VW320 and VW520, they will be available only in Europe.
Nothing new there. We in the US have not been able to get white for years.
post #1073 of 1836 Old 09-08-2015, 07:26 AM

Quote:
I totally understand your disappointment, but I'm glad to see that you might be warming up to an X7000

I agree that HDR support for Amazon and other sources is important. It does sound like JVC are a bit late with their HDR implementation (or like we should expect a delivery date later than November).
In the US, the delivery date is usually mid to late December.
post #1074 of 1836 Old 09-08-2015, 07:30 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by zombie10k View Post
curious to hear more about the fan noise in high lamp, that is a lot of light output from the same size chassis

"We do not want to conceal at this point, however, that the high lamp mode is accompanied by a clearly perceptible fan noise, but at least the low-frequency goes down in film sound. Much quieter is the Eco mode, which still has about 1200 calibrated lumens brightness with a reduction of about 30% and for most home theater applications appear more than adequate. The X5000 is in Eco mode, at least as bright as its predecessor X500 in the high mode"
A 1,200 calibrated low lamp mode JVC, that sounds sweet.
post #1075 of 1836 Old 09-08-2015, 07:40 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Peak View Post
Manni, quite frankly I've been a bit irritated over your narrow focus, centered around the fact you own an X500 + 88" screen. Just the fact that I have intrinsic knowledge that another specific forum participant owns an 88" screen is remarkable! You draw many wise conclusions and write a lot, so those conclusions could be better offered to a much wider audience if you took a step outside of your world...

And BAM you deliver the paragraph that will probably guide my investment decision most this autumn!

You see, I sit in quite the opposite situation. I have an X30 that I have not seen enough reason to upgrade from for a while. My 2nd lamp is on 1138H and dimming by the day. It has to fill out a 142" Scope screen, that it was clearly not designed to cope with in the first place. Hence anything but a fully opened iris is no alternative. I honestly must say that while I know that the X30 it's slightly sub-par for my huge screen, I have thoroughly enjoyed the picture over those years! (At least while the lamp is sub 1000H).

But I feel that I reeeeally want an upgrade! I actually started saving up monthly to the big 4k upgrade fund in August 2013, speculating that there would be a fully compliant UHD projector with inky blacks around the price point of the 320ES/X7000 announced at IFA 2015, that I could acquire around Dec 2015. It seems that development is slower than my wishes over 2 years ago! In the situation I am now, I think that the best alternative is to go for a stop-gap, and then go for what's on offer with the same time schedule in 2017 instead.

When eyeing the X5000 I'm specifically enticed over the greater light output due to my screen size. I'm a bit worried about the 40.000:1 CR, where my X30 from so long ago actually was still specced to 50.000:1. I would not like to lose my beloved deep blacks...

I notice that my kid side is eager to take a decision now, based on rudimentary show room screenings, while my slightly more grown up side of course advices to wait and see for the final reviews, which is the only sound conclusion. So let's speculate some more, while waiting for production kit!!!
In your situation, the X5000 will give more light output and higher contrast spec. The X5000 or X7000 is a logical upgrade for you.
post #1076 of 1836 Old 09-08-2015, 07:45 AM
wse
AVS Forum Special Member

Quoted: 2207 Post(s)
Liked: 814
Exclamation

Quote:
Haha, same here. Only difference is that the Toshiba still sits in my rack! Why sell, when I have loads of HD movies I don't need to change to Blu-ray? Better wait to upgrade for UHD
Seriously that mean you haven't bought any new movies for the past five years!!!!
post #1077 of 1836 Old 09-08-2015, 07:47 AM
wse
AVS Forum Special Member

Quoted: 2207 Post(s)
Liked: 814
Unfortunately it looks like minor incremental improvements really not worth it to me or my wallet!
post #1078 of 1836 Old 09-08-2015, 07:51 AM

Mentioned: 48 Post(s)
Quoted: 5167 Post(s)
Liked: 2593
Quote:

To add on to what Mike just said. My guess is that you're running the iris wide open on the X30? If so that means you aren't getting anywhere near the spec'ed contrast. With the iris open you're getting close to 25000:1. At similar light output with the X5000 you're going to be getting closer to 30000:1+ contrast depending how much you close down the iris and if you enable the dynamic iris you'll be getting about 10x more dynamic contrast. But with a screen that large I'd probably run low lamp iris fully open. This will give you about 18ftL on your screen. Much brighter than what you're getting now (with a new bulb). Enable the DI and see if you like it.
Andreas21 likes this.
post #1079 of 1836 Old 09-08-2015, 08:00 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by wse View Post
Seriously that mean you haven't bought any new movies for the past five years!!!!
No. I had both the Toshiba and the first Samsung Blu-ray early. I just did both. But I still have some HD DVD movies that I never bought the Blu-ray version of!
post #1080 of 1836 Old 09-08-2015, 08:27 AM

Mentioned: 18 Post(s)
Quoted: 3412 Post(s)
Liked: 1861
Quote:
I mean about the lack of P3 support. Watching UHD Bluray without P3 support means not caring about color accuracy, or putting brightness over color accuracy (which is fine by the way, every one is dealing with various priorities).
I was under the impression from one of Joe Kane's interviews that they would make sure the color was correct for both P3 and 709.

Quote:
Interesting feedback in this other Hands-On (whether some like it or not, that's what journalist spending 30mn with a projector call it, please complain to them if you disagree and don't shoot the messenger) about the capability of the Sony 520ES to convert non HDR material to HDR as well as impressions on native HDR content and the DI's behaviour:
http://www.forbes.com/sites/johnarch...-4k-projector/
Note: the reviewer is the same as in the Trusted Review hands on and seems to show a strong bias towards Sony and a strong bias against JVC.
No one is shooting you over the title of an article. The Expertreview article also said "hands on". Really they should label them "first look".

I will try to read Ekki's review tonight, even though I hate translations.

Having fun playing the new mobile game Volley Village
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply Digital Hi-End Projectors - $3,000+ USD MSRP

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page