Replacing JVC Ballast - Page 3 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 
 15Likes

post #61 of 108 Old 09-26-2018, 04:47 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 397 Post(s)
Liked: 148
Quote:
Originally Posted by AGSCMC View Post
Hi Luc
Based on your experience with ballast problem can please suggest me some tips ….is this issues I have points
a defective BALLAST!

DLA-X3:

Indicator lights were both on red and lamp light flashing orange.
Replaced the lamp and it did not change the status, did cleaning filter bit , did lamp reset from the remote ,
did reboot and plugged it at a different ac outlet all that did not work .
The lens cover is stuck at opened and the only thing you get when plugged in is the red light on and after 30 seconds the lamp light comes on orange .
No fan came on no moving lens cover only flashing orange light.
Considering the prices of these JVC projectors and all the features they have, it really looks to me like bad design not having a routine to enable the user to manually turn the projector off and automatically closing the sliding lens door. I have a JVC projector in the same situation and to me it just feels like they didn't care to write a proper shutdown routine for malfunction situations.
AGSCMC likes this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #62 of 108 Old 10-09-2018, 11:24 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked: 4
Quote:
Originally Posted by descalabro View Post
Considering the prices of these JVC projectors and all the features they have, it really looks to me like bad design not having a routine to enable the user to manually turn the projector off and automatically closing the sliding lens door. I have a JVC projector in the same situation and to me it just feels like they didn't care to write a proper shutdown routine for malfunction situations.
I purchased a new ballast $370CD and I replaced the old one now the projector performed like new.
The time and it takes to disassemble the unit, then mark each cable, supposedly is a modular unit far from it,
there are cables every where, especially on the main board..... it is not a easy task .
After this experience I would not recommend to proceed with this work unless you are comfortable
with this type of work . See enclosed a number of picture taken fixing my X3 projector. I have the instruction manual
: jvc_x3_x7_x9_manual_en.pdf to large unload to this site.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0802.jpg
Views:	133
Size:	128.3 KB
ID:	2466234   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0816.jpg
Views:	126
Size:	128.6 KB
ID:	2466236   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0817.JPG
Views:	118
Size:	90.8 KB
ID:	2466238   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0831.jpg
Views:	116
Size:	139.8 KB
ID:	2466240   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0835.JPG
Views:	121
Size:	101.7 KB
ID:	2466246  

Name:	IMG_0795.jpg
Views:	111
Size:	150.0 KB
ID:	2466250  
markmon1 and descalabro like this.
post #63 of 108 Old 10-09-2018, 08:03 PM

Quoted: 23 Post(s)
Liked: 2
You think that is bad. I pulled apart an X3 about 6 months ago, didn't label the connectors and left it in bits and got distracted. Now I have to put it back together.

If you are careful you can get it apart without disconnecting too much.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #64 of 108 Old 10-09-2018, 08:31 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
I purchased a new ballast $370CD and I replaced the old one now the projector performed like new.

The time and it takes to disassemble the unit, then mark each cable, supposedly is a modular unit far from it,

there are cables every where, especially on the main board..... it is not a easy task .

After this experience I would not recommend to proceed with this work unless you are comfortable

with this type of work . See enclosed a number of picture taken fixing my X3 projector. I have the instruction manual

Yes, it’s hell. I have disassembled a RS20 and it’s even worse, because the projector is smaller and all the cables are crammed between the lens module and the boards at its side, not to mention all the cables that go over and under other parts. I will replace the ballast of a X70 so I’ve looked inside it and it looks much like those photos. Better than the RS20 but still nowhere near how a modular design should be.

Thanks a lot for sharing the photos and the file! They will help.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
post #65 of 108 Old 10-09-2018, 11:11 PM

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 69 Post(s)
Liked: 22
Quote:
Yes, it’s hell. I have disassembled a RS20 and it’s even worse, because the projector is smaller and all the cables are crammed between the lens module and the boards at its side, not to mention all the cables that go over and under other parts. I will replace the ballast of a X70 so I’ve looked inside it and it looks much like those photos. Better than the RS20 but still nowhere near how a modular design should be.

Thanks a lot for sharing the photos and the file! They will help.

Disassembling the RS20 is much easier and faster than X(RS40-65) models. Believe me, I took apart the old HD(RS) series as well as X. It takes half the time to disassemble the HD (RS 20,35), there are fewer boards and wires, it is much faster to disassemble and then assemble.
descalabro likes this.
post #66 of 108 Old 10-10-2018, 03:40 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Well, I did not disassemble the x70 yet, I have just opened it. But one thing I have noticed is that the rs20 has many cable connections which are hard to access because there’s no space. Also, you can access the x70 boards from the side, while in the rs20 you have to take the side metal cover first, which implies disconnecting wires that pass through holes. It’s a real mess. The x70 seemed a lot easier. On the other hand, the rs20 ballast is located inside an air duct, so it’s easier to get there because there are no boards to remove.

post #67 of 108 Old 10-10-2018, 03:55 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 102 Post(s)
Quoted: 4627 Post(s)
Liked: 2934
Quote:
That's awesome! So which photo has the actual ballast in it?

Video: JVC RS4500 135" screen in pure black room no light, htpc nvidia 1080ti.
Audio: Anthem mrx720 running 7.1.4, McIntosh MC-303, MC-152, B&W 802d3 LR, B&W HTM1D3 center, B&W 805d3 surround, B&W 702S2 rear, B&W 706s2 x 4 shelf mounted for atmos, 2 sub arrays both infinite baffle: 4x15 fi audio running on behringer ep4000 + 4x12 fi audio running on 2nd ep4000.
post #68 of 108 Old 10-10-2018, 05:04 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by markmon1 View Post
That's awesome! So which photo has the actual ballast in it?
The photos do not have ballast. At 4 and 5 photos, only the black case is visible (on the right) where the ballast is located.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	InkedIMG_0831_LI.jpg
Views:	85
Size:	1,023.3 KB
ID:	2466522   Click image for larger version

Name:	InkedIMG_0835_LI.jpg
Views:	87
Size:	1,003.2 KB
ID:	2466524  

Last edited by Slonopot; 10-10-2018 at 05:08 AM.
post #69 of 108 Old 10-10-2018, 05:15 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 102 Post(s)
Quoted: 4627 Post(s)
Liked: 2934
Quote:
Originally Posted by Slonopot View Post
The photos do not have ballast. At 4 and 5 photos, only the black case is visible (on the right) where the ballast is located.
Thanks. Wow that's really dug in there

Video: JVC RS4500 135" screen in pure black room no light, htpc nvidia 1080ti.
Audio: Anthem mrx720 running 7.1.4, McIntosh MC-303, MC-152, B&W 802d3 LR, B&W HTM1D3 center, B&W 805d3 surround, B&W 702S2 rear, B&W 706s2 x 4 shelf mounted for atmos, 2 sub arrays both infinite baffle: 4x15 fi audio running on behringer ep4000 + 4x12 fi audio running on 2nd ep4000.
post #70 of 108 Old 10-10-2018, 05:16 AM

Quote:
I have no goal to upset you, but before installing a new ballast, it was necessary to “finalize” it, to change one detail.
On the new ballasts all the same problem, that is. over time, the new will fail as the previous one.
Can you give a link to the seller from whom you bought the ballast? See photos of this ballast.
descalabro likes this.
post #71 of 108 Old 10-10-2018, 08:32 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by markmon1 View Post
Thanks. Wow that's really dug in there
The pic # 834 you can see the black plastic box there resides the ballast .The black & red cable is the input from the Power Supply.
the New Ballast
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	IMG_0802.jpg
Views:	83
Size:	128.3 KB
ID:	2466670   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0823.JPG
Views:	77
Size:	111.4 KB
ID:	2466674   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0834.jpg
Views:	86
Size:	106.9 KB
ID:	2466678   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0840.JPG
Views:	85
Size:	145.6 KB
ID:	2466686  
post #72 of 108 Old 10-10-2018, 08:54 AM

Quote:
The pic # 834 you can see the black plastic box there resides the ballast .The black & red cable is the input from the Power Supply.
the New Ballast

I wander if any of you happen to have the electrical diagram of the DLA-X3 Ballast.
I would like to tray troubleshooting it .

Thanks
post #73 of 108 Old 10-15-2018, 04:24 PM

Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Liked: 11
Quote:
I have no goal to upset you, but before installing a new ballast, it was necessary to “finalize” it, to change one detail.
On the new ballasts all the same problem, that is. over time, the new will fail as the previous one.
Can you give a link to the seller from whom you bought the ballast? See photos of this ballast.
What do you mean by "finalize" it? I bought mine from Encompass.
post #74 of 108 Old 01-02-2019, 12:49 PM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 0
manuals

Quote:
would like to see those manuals
post #75 of 108 Old 01-06-2019, 04:08 PM

After modification, correction of ballast of series X3-X90, you can safely use the JVC PC-L2312 lamp for X35-X900 models.
In principle, it is possible to use it without a mod, but the performance of both the lamp and the ballast is not guaranteed. Stability is unknown, and most likely can lead to sad consequences.
post #76 of 108 Old 01-08-2019, 08:53 AM

Quote:
After modification, correction of ballast of series X3-X90, you can safely use the JVC PC-L2312 lamp for X35-X900 models.
In principle, it is possible to use it without a mod, but the performance of both the lamp and the ballast is not guaranteed. Stability is unknown, and most likely can lead to sad consequences.
What is the modification that makes the ballast more stable?
descalabro likes this.
post #77 of 108 Old 02-06-2019, 11:07 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Step by step removal of X70RBE ballast.

I have removed the ballast from an X70RBE and documented the procedure, although there are some parts where more photos would be helpful. I've tried to describe these as best as possible.

Here is the PDF for the procedure: http://www.tiagojordao.com/__outros/...%20ballast.pdf

I would appreciate some help on the following: the cables on the 1st photo connect to the small boards on the 2nd photo: 2 dotted cables connect to the one above, 2 cables connect to the one just below the one above. As I forgot to tag them, I'm not sure which of the 2 red-doted cables goes on the top - the order they're on may be wrong, as I took the photo after I tried to reorder them. The last photo shows where the cables come from. Any hint?

post #78 of 108 Old 03-07-2019, 04:57 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
I would appreciate some help on the following: the cables on the 1st photo connect to the small boards on the 2nd photo: 2 dotted cables connect to the one above, 2 cables connect to the one just below the one above. As I forgot to tag them, I'm not sure which of the 2 red-doted cables goes on the top - the order they're on may be wrong, as I took the photo after I tried to reorder them. The last photo shows where the cables come from. Any hint?
Any help about the previous post, please?
I have my ballast fixed so tomorrow I will try to reassemble the projector.

Can someone tell me at least if there any risk of damaging the projector if I mix up the connection between those two cables?

Thanks.
post #79 of 108 Old 03-08-2019, 07:16 AM

Quote:
Any help about the previous post, please?
I have my ballast fixed so tomorrow I will try to reassemble the projector.

Can someone tell me at least if there any risk of damaging the projector if I mix up the connection between those two cables?

Thanks.
From your picture, it looks like you have them in the correct order. In mine (RS60) all of the cables were the exact length with very little slack. If one cable has stress on it and the other has a lot of slack when connected then you have them in reversed.

I am not sure if mixing up the cable would damage the projector. If they are just signal cables then you should not damage the projector. If they have power and ground then mixing the cables could damage the projector.

Good Luck.
post #80 of 108 Old 03-08-2019, 07:34 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by MKIII View Post
From your picture, it looks like you have them in the correct order. In mine (RS60) all of the cables were the exact length with very little slack. If one cable has stress on it and the other has a lot of slack when connected then you have them in reversed.

I am not sure if mixing up the cable would damage the projector. If they are just signal cables then you should not damage the projector. If they have power and ground then mixing the cables could damage the projector.

Good Luck.

Thank you very much.

post #81 of 108 Old 03-10-2019, 12:56 AM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Quote:
Hello!
Can you help me with ballast for RS4910?
I'm from Russia.
post #82 of 108 Old 03-10-2019, 03:03 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kirill Belousov View Post
Hello!
Can you help me with ballast for RS4910?
I'm from Russia.
Why do you think the problem is in ballast? On these models, the ballasts break very rarely. What lights are on when the projector is turned on? You need to know the error code to draw conclusions.

If this is exactly the ballast, then buy here: http://store.jvc.com/catalog.php?id=4634
post #83 of 108 Old 03-10-2019, 04:33 AM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Quote:
Why do you think the problem is in ballast? On these models, the ballasts break very rarely. What lights are on when the projector is turned on? You need to know the error code to draw conclusions.

If this is exactly the ballast, then buy here:
Quote:
You need to know the error code to draw conclusions.
My symptoms: When powering up, standby goes green, and after 30s the standby goes red, the lamp blinks orange and the warning goes red.
VIDEO catcut[dot]net/bGjA - sorry for the link, this is a forum restriction for new users
Does that seem ballast error?
post #84 of 108 Old 03-10-2019, 04:48 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kirill Belousov View Post
My symptoms: When powering up, standby goes green, and after 30s the standby goes red, the lamp blinks orange and the warning goes red.
VIDEO catcut[dot]net/bGjA - sorry for the link, this is a forum restriction for new users
Does that seem ballast error?
Such an error may indicate a bad lamp. Have you tried to put a new lamp into the projector? If you have already checked with a new lamp, then it looks like a ballast.
post #85 of 108 Old 03-13-2019, 06:28 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Turns out the cables were already numbered in the correct order, from 1 to 4 and going upwards. Since they make contact on the upper and lower side alternatively, it was very easy to make sure the order was correct. Unfortunately, the problem persists, so the problem is most probably not the ballast.
post #86 of 108 Old 03-13-2019, 11:12 PM

Quote:
Turns out the cables were already numbered in the correct order, from 1 to 4 and going upwards. Since they make contact on the upper and lower side alternatively, it was very easy to make sure the order was correct. Unfortunately, the problem persists, so the problem is most probably not the ballast.
I have already told you that if we have eliminated the ballast (repaired), then the matter is in the lamp itself or rather in the small control board.
If you want to try, then I can send you a lamp. I have one naked phillips lamp. Himself insert it into a place instead of his own.
Let me know by e-mail.
descalabro likes this.
post #87 of 108 Old 03-14-2019, 06:47 AM

Quote:
In mine I had to get a new bulb once i replaced the ballast. It seems that any bulb, even brand new would would not work if it was connected to the old ballast.
post #88 of 108 Old 03-14-2019, 07:50 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MKIII View Post
In mine I had to get a new bulb once i replaced the ballast. It seems that any bulb, even brand new would would not work if it was connected to the old ballast.
Absolute delusion. Old lamps work very well on new ballasts. Checked by me repeatedly. lamps work, shine, just the same, nothing happens to them.
post #89 of 108 Old 03-14-2019, 07:55 AM

It just happens that the lamp is of poor quality initially or out of order. Therefore, problems are possible. If everything is OK with the ballast and the lamp, both are checked, then we look at the control board. Or a power board, some more stuff.
post #90 of 108 Old 03-14-2019, 08:37 AM

Quote:
Absolute delusion. Old lamps work very well on new ballasts. Checked by me repeatedly. lamps work, shine, just the same, nothing happens to them.
I was given the projector (RS60) to fix. The original owner said he got an error, replaced the bulb with an OEM and it did not fix the error. Once I got the projector I replaced the ballast and the projector would not work with the old bulb (~800 hours) or the new one. Once I bought a new bulb the projector fired up. The new oem bulb that the original owner purchased could have been DOA.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply Digital Hi-End Projectors - $3,000+ USD MSRP

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page