Replacing JVC Ballast - Page 4 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 
 15Likes
Reply
 
Thread Tools
post #91 of 108 Old 03-14-2019, 08:44 AM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
descalabro's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2017
Posts: 1,023
Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 399 Post(s)
Liked: 149
Quote:
Originally Posted by MKIII View Post
In mine I had to get a new bulb once i replaced the ballast. It seems that any bulb, even brand new would would not work if it was connected to the old ballast.
That sounds unlikely, but I wouldn't know. I bought mine with the faulty ballast, and damaged from the trip when it would have the ballast repaired. Because of the damage, the owner decided not to repair the projector and sold it on eBay, without lamp (because the previous one had been damaged). The interior looks perfect to the naked eye. @Slonopot repaired the ballast for me, and I tested it again with a cheap lamp. Therefore, there's a good possibility that @Slonopot is correct that the lamp isn't good. He's sending me a bulb to test the projector. Although with all the damage to the outer shell I suspect I won't be that lucky.

Oh well, trying to cheat the system and get a high-end projector for cheap.
descalabro is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #92 of 108 Old 03-14-2019, 08:51 AM
Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2016
Posts: 124
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 69 Post(s)
Liked: 22
Quote:
Originally Posted by MKIII View Post
I was given the projector (RS60) to fix. The original owner said he got an error, replaced the bulb with an OEM and it did not fix the error. Once I got the projector I replaced the ballast and the projector would not work with the old bulb (~800 hours) or the new one. Once I bought a new bulb the projector fired up. The new oem bulb that the original owner purchased could have been DOA.
I changed, repaired, more than 20 ballasts, probably 30 now, old lamps worked perfectly in 90% of cases.
Perhaps you have a case that is included in 10% of the unknown. Everything may be a technique too capricious.
Slonopot is offline  
post #93 of 108 Old 03-14-2019, 08:53 AM
Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2016
Posts: 124
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 69 Post(s)
Liked: 22
Quote:
Originally Posted by descalabro View Post
That sounds unlikely, but I wouldn't know. I bought mine with the faulty ballast, and damaged from the trip when it would have the ballast repaired. Because of the damage, the owner decided not to repair the projector and sold it on eBay, without lamp (because the previous one had been damaged). The interior looks perfect to the naked eye. @Slonopot repaired the ballast for me, and I tested it again with a cheap lamp. Therefore, there's a good possibility that @Slonopot is correct that the lamp isn't good. He's sending me a bulb to test the projector. Although with all the damage to the outer shell I suspect I won't be that lucky.

Oh well, trying to cheat the system and get a high-end projector for cheap.
The lamp is my gift, it does not need to be returned.
It is 100% workable, but there are some hours on it, about 1000.
descalabro likes this.
Slonopot is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #94 of 108 Old 03-14-2019, 08:59 AM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
descalabro's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2017
Posts: 1,023
Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 399 Post(s)
Liked: 149
Quote:
Originally Posted by Slonopot View Post
The lamp is my gift, it does not need to be returned.
It is 100% workable, but there are some hours on it, about 1000.
I'm very grateful to you.

аплодисменты!
descalabro is offline  
post #95 of 108 Old 03-30-2019, 08:59 AM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
descalabro's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2017
Posts: 1,023
Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 399 Post(s)
Liked: 149
So, I received the bulb sent by @Slonopot . The connection was not exactly as the cheap lamp that I had, so I decided to solder it. My soldering iron is broken, so the solder was kind of a blob, but I think the wire had good contact (see photos in reverse order)

Unfortunately, the result is the same. Blinking orange light in the middle, other two lights just red.

Maybe it's time to sell this for parts. This has been an interesting experience, but not so gratifying.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	04.JPG
Views:	29
Size:	348.0 KB
ID:	2546324   Click image for larger version

Name:	03.JPG
Views:	26
Size:	427.1 KB
ID:	2546326   Click image for larger version

Name:	02.JPG
Views:	25
Size:	274.4 KB
ID:	2546328   Click image for larger version

Name:	01.JPG
Views:	28
Size:	488.9 KB
ID:	2546330  
descalabro is offline  
post #96 of 108 Old 05-10-2019, 05:17 PM
Senior Member
 
Audiophil's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2000
Location: VA, USA
Posts: 449
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 10 Post(s)
Liked: 25
Quote:
Originally Posted by patyoung View Post
I was able to get one from Encompass (https://www.encompassparts.com/item/...01/Ballast_Pwb). Shipped quickly and I was able to install it fine and get back up and running.
Thanks so much to Pat Young. I ordered a ballast PCB for my RS40U from the link above and it arrived in a few days. Exact JVC/Kenwood part and all!

As my projector is ceiling mounted, it was about a two day process to replace this board. **ZERO** thought process was put into the maintenance design of these projectors. That being said, the JVC Reference Series is the only thing I have found to exceed high end CRT projector performance. Brilliant picture once you get back up and running! Considering how much I paid for the projector when new, it was worth the effort. Thanks again Pat!
Audiophil is offline  
post #97 of 108 Old 05-11-2019, 07:15 AM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
descalabro's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2017
Posts: 1,023
Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 399 Post(s)
Liked: 149
Quote:
Originally Posted by Audiophil View Post
**ZERO** thought process was put into the maintenance design of these projectors.
After disassembling an X70 for the same purpose, I would say the same. It seems to me this is the work of engineers and that designers had no part in it, except for the plastic encasing. And while I have to admit these projectors are very complex, I can't avoid feeling there could have been more simple ways to assemble them. But I may be wrong.

Now, not to discourage you, but I've heard that even the replacement Ballast may suffer the same fate as the original one, and that a modification to it may be required. There's some info about this on this same thread.
descalabro is offline  
post #98 of 108 Old 05-11-2019, 08:14 AM
Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2016
Posts: 124
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 69 Post(s)
Liked: 22
Quote:
Originally Posted by descalabro View Post
After disassembling an X70 for the same purpose, I would say the same. It seems to me this is the work of engineers and that designers had no part in it, except for the plastic encasing. And while I have to admit these projectors are very complex, I can't avoid feeling there could have been more simple ways to assemble them. But I may be wrong.

Now, not to discourage you, but I've heard that even the replacement Ballast may suffer the same fate as the original one, and that a modification to it may be required. There's some info about this on this same thread.
In this ballast, the inductance of the current is incorrect initially. Engineers have failed. Therefore, even replacing the ballas with a new one, it will still fail over time.
Slonopot is offline  
post #99 of 108 Old 05-11-2019, 09:00 AM
AVS Forum Addicted Member
 
coderguy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2006
Posts: 14,027
Mentioned: 62 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2420 Post(s)
Liked: 1315
Quote:
Originally Posted by Slonopot View Post
In this ballast, the inductance of the current is incorrect initially. Engineers have failed. Therefore, even replacing the ballas with a new one, it will still fail over time.
Probably what causes the lamps to dim and fail too soon from these models.
However note that I have gone through 7 lamps without any Ballast issues on an X3, never had to replace it in the first place though.

**Updated Projector Calculator Released NOV 2017**
-- www.webprojectorcalculator.com --
coderguy is offline  
post #100 of 108 Old 05-11-2019, 01:31 PM
Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2019
Posts: 15
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 2
Quote:
Originally Posted by Slonopot View Post
In this ballast, the inductance of the current is incorrect initially. Engineers have failed. Therefore, even replacing the ballas with a new one, it will still fail over time.
Do you offer repair service and also correct the inherent flaw? I have a X3 has been acting up a while, but recently its just completely given up. Id certainly prefer to have the ballast repaired and flaws corrected rather than buy a new unit which will fail again due to poor design/engineering. Please let me know if this is something you offer or can recommend where it can be correctly fixed. I appreciate it.
Thank you
phtli is offline  
post #101 of 108 Old 05-11-2019, 09:34 PM
Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2016
Posts: 124
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 69 Post(s)
Liked: 22
Quote:
Originally Posted by phtli View Post
Do you offer repair service and also correct the inherent flaw? I have a X3 has been acting up a while, but recently its just completely given up. Id certainly prefer to have the ballast repaired and flaws corrected rather than buy a new unit which will fail again due to poor design/engineering. Please let me know if this is something you offer or can recommend where it can be correctly fixed. I appreciate it.
Thank you
Yes, I correct bad ballasts.
Write me a private message, give the price and address
 
Slonopot is offline  
post #102 of 108 Old 05-16-2019, 07:52 PM
Senior Member
 
Audiophil's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2000
Location: VA, USA
Posts: 449
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 10 Post(s)
Liked: 25
Quote:
Originally Posted by descalabro View Post
After disassembling an X70 for the same purpose, I would say the same. It seems to me this is the work of engineers and that designers had no part in it, except for the plastic encasing. And while I have to admit these projectors are very complex, I can't avoid feeling there could have been more simple ways to assemble them. But I may be wrong.

Now, not to discourage you, but I've heard that even the replacement Ballast may suffer the same fate as the original one, and that a modification to it may be required. There's some info about this on this same thread.
Thanks, yeah I read through several threads recommending replacement of IC01? (bottom of PCB), a resistor feeding said IC, and some opto-couplers. Due to the length of time and effort to swap out the board I just bought a new board. The original board lasted several lamps and 6+ years in my theater. After another six years I will be ready for a 4k or 8k JVC.

Good luck to anyone replacing this board. Take plenty of time and be ready to label 20+ cables. 😁
descalabro likes this.
Audiophil is offline  
post #103 of 108 Old 05-16-2019, 11:18 PM
Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2016
Posts: 124
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 69 Post(s)
Liked: 22
Independently, the resistor can not fail, need a reason. As a rule, it is a transistor and a capacitor. But this is a rare failure of these ballasts.
Optocouplers almost never collapse.
 
descalabro likes this.
Slonopot is offline  
post #104 of 108 Old 05-23-2019, 03:11 AM
Member
 
Derek J's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2019
Posts: 17
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 1
Quote:
Originally Posted by luipic View Post
I am about to buy a jvc 790x with high bulb hours. Thanks for finding this guide!
Derek J is offline  
post #105 of 108 Old 05-23-2019, 05:31 AM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
descalabro's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2017
Posts: 1,023
Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 399 Post(s)
Liked: 149
Quote:
Originally Posted by Derek J View Post
I am about to buy a jvc 790x with high bulb hours. Thanks for finding this guide!


Hi,

This is not a known issue on this series, only the x0 and x00 series, so it’s possible that you may have something to repair other than the ballast.


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
descalabro is offline  
post #106 of 108 Old 06-24-2019, 12:03 AM
Member
 
Murbella7's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2012
Location: Knoxfield, Victoria, Australia
Posts: 160
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 67 Post(s)
Liked: 45
I too am in Melbourne (outer east) and seem to now have a similar problem.
There hasn't been any mention of symptoms other than blinking lights and power-down. After that happened a few times my PJ started getting bogged-down at the D-ILA logo screen. I even had 2 instances where all I got was a blue-screen (the dreaded blue-screen-of-death from the PC world I presume). This is probably showing that my issue is more than just the ballast.

After laying $154 on the counter for a diagnostic at an authorised repair centre, I was later handed an estimate of $1500 for repairs. This is pretty close to, if not actually, a write-off valuation.

My X3 lamp is near the end of its life at 2600 hrs but should still have enough life in it to power-up the PJ, but of course it immediately drops into error mode and powers-down.

So, because as-it-stands, the beast is simply a BBB (big black brick) sitting on my bench I don't have a lot more to lose by attempting a repair.

I will open it up over the next few days and see what's inside. Is a ballast repair still possible SLONOPOT?

My last question is: is the beast of any value as spare parts? Can the bits be useful anywhere else?
Murbella7 is offline  
post #107 of 108 Old 06-24-2019, 12:21 AM
Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2016
Posts: 124
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 69 Post(s)
Liked: 22
Quote:
Originally Posted by Murbella7 View Post
I too am in Melbourne (outer east) and seem to now have a similar problem.
There hasn't been any mention of symptoms other than blinking lights and power-down. After that happened a few times my PJ started getting bogged-down at the D-ILA logo screen. I even had 2 instances where all I got was a blue-screen (the dreaded blue-screen-of-death from the PC world I presume). This is probably showing that my issue is more than just the ballast.

After laying $154 on the counter for a diagnostic at an authorised repair centre, I was later handed an estimate of $1500 for repairs. This is pretty close to, if not actually, a write-off valuation.

My X3 lamp is near the end of its life at 2600 hrs but should still have enough life in it to power-up the PJ, but of course it immediately drops into error mode and powers-down.

So, because as-it-stands, the beast is simply a BBB (big black brick) sitting on my bench I don't have a lot more to lose by attempting a repair.

I will open it up over the next few days and see what's inside. Is a ballast repair still possible SLONOPOT?

My last question is: is the beast of any value as spare parts? Can the bits be useful anywhere else?
Before starting to repair the ballast, it is necessary to put a new lamp. If the projector does not work with a new lamp, and a typical error (two solid red and one continuous yellow), then this is a bad ballast.
In your case, when the blue screen of death, it looks like an HDMI problem. The processor board is expensive, so the price is high. The new processor board itself costs about 550-600 US dollars.
But, first, this board can be fixed.
Secondly, it is possible that you just need to use the latest firmware and invert the capacitor on the front IR board.

Try the projector firmware, select your own, download and boldly flash- http://support.jvc.com/consumer/custrel/index.jsp

Last edited by Slonopot; 06-24-2019 at 12:24 AM.
Slonopot is offline  
post #108 of 108 Old 07-07-2019, 12:18 PM
Newbie
 
Join Date: Jul 2019
Posts: 1
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 0
Quote:
Originally Posted by Slonopot View Post
I changed, repaired, more than 20 ballasts...
I need to repair ballast RPB-0526GA. Slonopot, write me please PM about repair price. Are you from which city in Russia?
[email protected] is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
Reply Digital Hi-End Projectors - $3,000+ USD MSRP

Thread Tools
Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page


Forum Jump: 

Posting Rules  
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off