Is lamp flicker still an issue on current Sonys ? - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 
 7Likes

post #1 of 41 Old 07-26-2015, 03:18 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 9 Post(s)
Liked: 11
Is lamp flicker still an issue on current Sonys ?

My HW50ES is acting up again and as I'm typing this, flickering like crazy. It's already been to Sony twice, or was it thrice? I lost count somewhere along the road.
Well, so far they honored the warranty without any fuss. Last time they did something to the lamp ballast and replaced the lamp again. The first 1300 hours things were rather fine but slowly things are going downhill again.

I'm loving this unit to bits, especially because the extended gamma calibration possibilities and excellent virtually nonexistant input lag but the flickering can drive you crazy.

How are more recent models doing? I couldn't find any reports of flickering on the HW55ES so, is there still hope?
cemo62 likes this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 41 Old 07-26-2015, 03:27 AM

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quoted: 1133 Post(s)
Liked: 729
It is still there and I think the only way to overcome this problem over time is to use them in high lampmode only. I have owned 2 HW50 and 2 HW55 and the only one that has not started flickering is my last HW55 witch I have only used in high mode. I have also owned 2 VW1000/1100 and none of these had this problem, thoug a friend if mines started flickering after 1000 hours on the first lamp and switching it to high stopped the problem.
post #3 of 41 Old 07-26-2015, 04:16 AM - Thread Starter

That is kind of sad, I was hoping they'd devise a fix.
Mine has been running almost entirely on high but switching it to low for a little while sometimes helped in the beginning. When the flickering has manifested for a couple of weeks, not even that helps anymore.
Well, before the last service, things usually started to get unbearable after the 500 hour mark. Now I'm at 1450 so this is an upgrade.

Last edited by mosi1979; 07-26-2015 at 05:17 AM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 41 Old 07-26-2015, 05:48 AM

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quoted: 1133 Post(s)
Liked: 729
One of my HW50 started flickering both in high and low lamp, but with that a lamp change (provided free from Sony) fixed the problem and it did not start to flicker the next 300h. The others have started flickering in low and stopped after setting them to high, but I have never had them past the 1000h mark. A friend of mine owns a HW50 and it has passed the 2000h mark and he is 500h on his second lamp and it has never flickered. So it is not happening with every unit.
post #5 of 41 Old 07-26-2015, 08:53 AM - Thread Starter

I wonder what others are experiencing with the sonys. 1000+ hours is a lot for some people to reach, at least from what my dealer told me.
On my last projector I claimed the lamp hours highscore with him. It suddenly died out of the blue due to power supply damage, third bulb installed, 6500hrs total lamp time. I still miss that TW2000, really sturdy thing, no big issues.
post #6 of 41 Old 07-28-2015, 12:34 PM - Thread Starter

I found my first lamp with about 500 hours on it. It was unbearably flickering so it almost went into the bin back then after sony sent me a new one. Right now it's perfectly fine. A couple of hiccups during the first hour and then things calmed considerably.
So from the limited sample size I'd say they really fixed something in whatever drives the lamp, last time they serviced the unit.

By the way, your theater setup is impressive Andreas21!

Last edited by mosi1979; 07-28-2015 at 12:40 PM.
post #7 of 41 Old 07-28-2015, 06:40 PM

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked: 18
This is not unique to Sony's. I've owned high end HT models from Panasonic and Epson. Both bulbs I had on the Panasonic went through a period of flickering in eco/low lamp mode and the Epson only the second bulb had that problem.

You don't get away from this problem until you get away from bulb based projectors which is what I'm holding out for.

Quote:
Originally Posted by mosi1979 View Post
My HW50ES is acting up again and as I'm typing this, flickering like crazy. It's already been to Sony twice, or was it thrice? I lost count somewhere along the road.
Well, so far they honored the warranty without any fuss. Last time they did something to the lamp ballast and replaced the lamp again. The first 1300 hours things were rather fine but slowly things are going downhill again.

I'm loving this unit to bits, especially because the extended gamma calibration possibilities and excellent virtually nonexistant input lag but the flickering can drive you crazy.

How are more recent models doing? I couldn't find any reports of flickering on the HW55ES so, is there still hope?
post #8 of 41 Old 07-29-2015, 08:06 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 36 Post(s)
Quoted: 512 Post(s)
Liked: 354
WUT ?

I've had 6 different Sont projectors over the last 15 years.....I've never experienced this issue before, and up until I just saw this thread, never even heard of it.

I did have an HDMI board issue with my HW15 when I owned it, but that's been the only issue with a Sony ever for me.

Maybe I should have never stumbled across this thread..........now I'm going to be critical.

post #9 of 41 Old 07-29-2015, 05:38 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 1112 Post(s)
Liked: 393
You might want to remove the lamps and clean the contacts on the lamp and projector. I had this problem on my JVC RS-1. It appears the contacts oxidize in the high heat and the lamp will start to flicker. After I cleaned the contacts, the flickering went away....

I used DeOxit....
MOberhardt and Archibald1 like this.

If it's not a BIG screen, it's not a theater...
post #10 of 41 Old 07-30-2015, 11:13 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Quoted: 984 Post(s)
Liked: 882
Quote:
Originally Posted by jmhart View Post
This is not unique to Sony's. I've owned high end HT models from Panasonic and Epson. Both bulbs I had on the Panasonic went through a period of flickering in eco/low lamp mode and the Epson only the second bulb had that problem.

You don't get away from this problem until you get away from bulb based projectors which is what I'm holding out for.
Every single previous projector I have owned (has to be over 10 now) has had bulb flicker. We'll see if my current X500 will start to flicker as I get to 500+ hours which is usually when every other pj has started to flicker. Either I am just that unlucky or it's as you said, just inherent in bulb based light sources.

I find that running the units in high lamp for 10-15 hours usually clears it up for a bit on econo/normal mode.
post #11 of 41 Old 07-30-2015, 12:30 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 635 Post(s)
Liked: 829
I have over 1400 hours on my Sony 1100ES and never experienced flicker. I switched over to high lamp mode at around 800 hours.

...Steve
"Opinions are like orgasms… mine matters most and I really don’t care if you have one or not." ;)

My HT gear
post #12 of 41 Old 08-05-2015, 10:13 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by rms8 View Post
Maybe I should have never stumbled across this thread..........now I'm going to be critical.
Oh don't worry too much. Its like flickering between high and eco mode when it happens. If you had any issues until now, you'd have noticed for sure.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jon S View Post
It appears the contacts oxidize in the high heat and the lamp will start to flicker.
Were the contacts visibly oxidized? At least the contacts on the lamp in question look clean and shiny to me.

Then again, I'm still on their prime support until november so I'm going to give them a call soon. Hopefully they'll do something about it that'll keep me afloat until something hits the market that can do native [email protected] input. Last time I checked, the market for that was pretty much nonexistant. I don't even care if it was Displayport, HDMI or DVI or some other outlandish interface as long as I could hook my computer to it.
post #13 of 41 Old 08-05-2015, 10:23 AM
AVS Forum Addicted Member

Mentioned: 106 Post(s)
Quoted: 6611 Post(s)
Liked: 7673
Quote:
You might want to remove the lamps and clean the contacts on the lamp and projector. I had this problem on my JVC RS-1. It appears the contacts oxidize in the high heat and the lamp will start to flicker. After I cleaned the contacts, the flickering went away....

I used DeOxit....

Good tip and certainly worth a try.
post #14 of 41 Old 08-30-2015, 11:53 AM - Thread Starter

Well, to sum things up I've given Sony a call and they told me I'm out of luck as the lamp is > 1000 hrs down the road and they "recommend replacing the lamp". I could've sent it in for service but they told me, if they found the lamp to be the issue I'd just get the thing returned without repairs.

I've bought another lamp which seems to run fine for now and hopefully will for the next ~1400 hours which should be somewhere in late 2016.
post #15 of 41 Old 11-07-2015, 04:47 PM

Quoted: 19 Post(s)
Liked: 12
Well some time has passed for the posters here. What has your experience been with this issue at this point? If switching to high power mode resolved the issue has it been a lasting resolution? I have had this issue with other projectors in the past and in those cases switching to high power mode was only a temporary solution. After a while the lamp would start flickering in high power and a new lamp was required.

I have ~1600 hours on my HW55ES lamp and flickering has developed in low lamp mode so I have switched to high power and it resolves it. My media room is small, light controlled, painted with flat gray walls and black ceiling. When I installed this projector I had to run in low power with the iris set to auto limited to reduce the brightness to a comfortable level. Recently the lamp had dimmed enough to switch to auto full and it was nice and bright again. Now with the flickering I have had to change to high power mode. From what I can tell auto limited is equivalent to setting the iris to manual 50 except that the manual setting is fixed and auto limited is dynamic. With the lamp set to full power auto limited is still too bright for my configuration. Right now I have it set to high power and manual 27. This is almost identical on bright images to the low power auto full setting. I'm a little disappointed to have to give up the dynamic iris feature for the time being but I should be able to switch to auto limited after a few hundred more hours. I'm just hoping that running in high power is going to resolve the flickering long term. 1600 hours simply isn't enough time on a lamp for a modern projector. I haven't even had the unit for a full year. I have a spare lamp but I didn't expect to have to use it for another 2 years at least.

Thanks for any info!
post #16 of 41 Old 11-11-2015, 12:45 AM

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
I have the flicker on my 40es, with about 500 hours on it. I have had quite a few projectors (JVC, BENQ, Sony, Infocus, Panasonic, and Epson) and never experienced "this" before.

Yes, this unit/bulb design still has problems (which is why people keep posting about it, go figure.) I would guess that class leading quiet operation is having a bad side affect on the lamp or housing (less air flow=more heat.)

Still, it does look amazing when it works. (I'm thinking of maybe tinning or electro plating the bulb leads with something)

Last edited by jrock99; 11-12-2015 at 12:12 AM.
post #17 of 41 Old 11-16-2015, 08:40 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quoted: 219 Post(s)
Liked: 129
Wow! I haven't been following AVS closely for a while, but was surprised to find this thread.

I've had this exact problem with my HW30. I've got the info specific info somewhere, but not handy. So generally..

I ran the hw30 in high mode and it started flicking at 1000 hours or so. Toggling helped for a bit, but it would still flicker in low or high after a while. I got a new bulb and tried running it only in low and it started flickering after only a few 100 hours. I've been "struggling" with this for the past 2 years or so...

While some will say this can happen to any PJ, it is one reason I'm going with a non-Sony for my upgrade.

And FWIW, I never had this problem with my Sanyo or Epson prior to the Sony.
post #18 of 41 Old 11-30-2015, 07:34 AM

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 10
I've owned a 95ES for about four years now and set to "low", the lamps (three, so far) have always started to flicker once it reaches 500-600 hours. Running it on high will always mitigate the flicker, until very shortly before the lamp completely burns out.
This is a really maddening problem. The projector is too close to my head to comfortably keep it on high, due to the increased noise. If it's on low and you prefer it stays there, then after the flicker first starts to materialize, you can temporarily flip it to high for a couple days, then back to low and the flicker will stay away for the most part, for maybe a hundred hours or so, when you have to repeat the temporary flip process until the bulb dies out.
I had to send the unit in to Sony about a year ago for an intermittently loud fan replacement (running on low) and they replaced the fan, but didn't address the flickering problem at all. It appears that Sony must want to avoid talking about this problem as much as possible. It's incredibly annoying though.
My prior projector was a DWIN Transvision 3 and going through three or four bulbs with that projector - none of them ever flickered.
With respect to the Sony lamps, I do believe that there is somewhat of an issue with the bulb manufacturers. Two of my three lamps have been what Sony would consider "their" lamps, but the third one I bought from an online retailer and that one was definitely worse. That one flickered like crazy after 500 hours and completely burned out after 1,350 or so hours. The other two have lasted over the 2,000 hours mark.
Not being at all savvy with the technical aspects of the inner workings of electronics, it is nonetheless inexcusable for this flickering problem to persist without some sort of remedy, by ANY of the manufacturers - either makers of the projectors or the bulbs. Especially when one spends $2,000 to $8,000 for the projectors.
post #19 of 41 Old 11-30-2015, 11:09 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Have any of you tried cleaning the contacts on the lamp like I mentioned earlier? It fixes the JVC lamp flickering issue....

post #20 of 41 Old 11-30-2015, 04:09 PM

Mentioned: 19 Post(s)
Quoted: 2166 Post(s)
Liked: 1150
Quote:
Have any of you tried cleaning the contacts on the lamp like I mentioned earlier? It fixes the JVC lamp flickering issue....
I have some contact cleaner and may try cleaning the bulb I have the flickers in low mode. But I'm not sure how useful it will be since another bulb was fine in the same enclosure. And ultimately it will be difficult to clean the projector side of the contacts so I won't be able to check the entire chain anyways. It's a bit tight in there and difficult to see.
post #21 of 41 Old 12-01-2015, 06:30 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 33 Post(s)
Quoted: 1972 Post(s)
Liked: 2153
I have an HW50 and mine does have flickering. However, with mine, it happens only once in a while (not sure about other users). I use my projector daily and it happens maybe one or two days a month. If I flip it to low lamp and then back it goes away 95% of the time. At first I thought it was heat related but it happened Saturday watching football and after switching lamp mode, I played it for several more hours and it never came back. I will also say that it seems to be worse with the new lamp compared to my last lamp so it also seems to be lamp dependent.
post #22 of 41 Old 12-01-2015, 07:03 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by AMartin56 View Post
I have some contact cleaner and may try cleaning the bulb I have the flickers in low mode. But I'm not sure how useful it will be since another bulb was fine in the same enclosure. And ultimately it will be difficult to clean the projector side of the contacts so I won't be able to check the entire chain anyways. It's a bit tight in there and difficult to see.
To clean the contacts inside the projector, you just insert/remove the lamp a few times. As an added step, I use Caig's DeOxit contact cleaner on the lamp. Works great...

post #23 of 41 Old 12-01-2015, 07:17 AM

Mentioned: 19 Post(s)
Quoted: 2166 Post(s)
Liked: 1150
Quote:
To clean the contacts inside the projector, you just insert/remove the lamp a few times. As an added step, I use Caig's DeOxit contact cleaner on the lamp. Works great...
Thanks. And that's the same stuff I purchased.
post #24 of 41 Old 12-07-2015, 05:55 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Just found this and found it interesting:

http://www.homecinemaguru.com/why-is...or-flickering/

If you pause the picture on your UHP projector and you see the image flickering between brighter and dimmer it is likely that your lamp is the cause.

As the lamp ages, the shape of the two anodes may change from sharp points to a flattened state. When this occurs, the arc jumps across the gap from varying points. When the anodes are flat the arc will be lost and then reestablished. This is seen as image flicker. The length of time for the anodes to flatten, over which flicker may occur varies considerably and unpredictably. This behavior is inherent to UHP lamps.

It is possible to recondition a lamp to have sharper points once they are flattened. Professional projectors like Christie have a mode for this that will pulse the lamp and restore it in minutes to hours. Consumer units do not have this option, but they can sometimes restore a lamp by operating it in high lamp mode for many hours. I believe some consumer projectors like Sony and Sim2 have lamp driver circuitry in them to recondition the lamp on a regular basis to avoid this because I have not seen this in their units. It is possible other manufacturers may add this feature over time.

It may be necessary to replace a lamp to eliminate this problem.
post #25 of 41 Old 12-07-2015, 05:55 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

So I did a little test tonight. My current lamp only had about 500 hours on it and it flickered worse than any lamp I have owned to date. Last night I watched Ant Man and it started to flicker about 20 minutes into the movie. Just a few weeks ago it would take an hour or more for the flickering to start so it is getting worse and worse on this lamp. I am able to greatly reduce the flicker by switching between high and low lamp mode.

To try to isolate the problem and see if it was the lamp or something more, I put in a previous lamp that had about 2000 hours on it and watched a blu ray tonight. Not one sign of flicker. I have to believe this is lamp based issue and not all lamps exhibit the same amount of flicker...and some not at all.

Last edited by Frohlich; 12-15-2015 at 05:11 PM.
post #26 of 41 Old 03-10-2018, 06:55 AM

I had the same problem with my Sony VPL-HW40ES.
I contacted Sony Prime Support and was told to replace the lamp (although it had only 1000 hours life). I replaced the lamp (of course with an original one) but the problem didn't disappear, so I sent the unit to Sony (I also sent them a few videos about the issue).
After a few days of testing they said they didn't notice the problem (if I have to be sincere, I don't believe them) so they replaced the lamp power board "just for precaution".
I watched a couple of movies and the flickering happend once, so I switched to hogh lamp mode and then back to low lamp mode and it went away.
I was thinking about buying a Sony VW260ES, but after what I have experienced I am not wasting any money.
post #27 of 41 Old 07-02-2019, 11:25 PM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Quoted: 701 Post(s)
Liked: 293
Gee, this thread is hitting the nail with me. Sorry to necropost. Very helpful info here that I might try. About 1500 hours on low lamp, now seeing it manifest on occasion. And going to high then low does clear it for a bit.

I'm thinking of setting to high on startup, let it warm up. I'll have to figure a nice activity for the Harmony Elite to do that...

I'll try that Craigs deoxit idea also.

Anyone have a good source for bulbs that are proper OEM?
post #28 of 41 Old 07-03-2019, 02:25 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 102 Post(s)
Quoted: 4627 Post(s)
Liked: 2933
Quote:
Originally Posted by MOberhardt View Post
I'm thinking of setting to high on startup, let it warm up. I'll have to figure a nice activity for the Harmony Elite to do that...
This won't help much. All it will do is wear out your bulb that much faster. Sony just has the worst bulbs.

Video: JVC RS4500 135" screen in pure black room no light, htpc nvidia 1080ti.
Audio: Anthem mrx720 running 7.1.4, McIntosh MC-303, MC-152, B&W 802d3 LR, B&W HTM1D3 center, B&W 805d3 surround, B&W 702S2 rear, B&W 706s2 x 4 shelf mounted for atmos, 2 sub arrays both infinite baffle: 4x15 fi audio running on behringer ep4000 + 4x12 fi audio running on 2nd ep4000.
post #29 of 41 Old 07-03-2019, 03:50 AM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Quoted: 701 Post(s)
Liked: 293
Quote:
Originally Posted by markmon1 View Post
This won't help much. All it will do is wear out your bulb that much faster. Sony just has the worst bulbs.
So are you better off with a cheaper non OEM bulb?

I've never swapped a bulb or full lamp housing., Getting a bulb for say 150 and getting 1000 hours is probably fine for me. The full Sony lamp replacement less palatable...

Anyone know if it is hard to do just a bulb? Risk of damage to housing?

PS - the shorter lamp life on high has never been a consideration with me. I like the light level an more importantly the noise level on low...

Last edited by MOberhardt; 07-03-2019 at 04:01 AM.
post #30 of 41 Old 07-03-2019, 04:17 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 402 Post(s)
Liked: 242
Quote:
Originally Posted by MOberhardt View Post
So are you better off with a cheaper non OEM bulb?

I've never swapped a bulb or full lamp housing., Getting a bulb for say 150 and getting 1000 hours is probably fine for me. The full Sony lamp replacement less palatable...

Anyone know if it is hard to do just a bulb? Risk of damage to housing?

PS - the shorter lamp life on high has never been a consideration with me. I like the light level an more importantly the noise level on low...
Replacing a Sony bare bulb is really easy. There are instructions in the 285es thread somewhere. You can get bare bulbs direct from China at really low prices depending on the model projector you have.
MOberhardt likes this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply Digital Hi-End Projectors - $3,000+ USD MSRP

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page