New $995 Panamorph Lens - Page 20 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 
 99Likes

post #571 of 594 Old 04-22-2016, 02:45 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 16 Post(s)
Liked: 33
Quote:
Originally Posted by ankurjohriddsmd View Post
Also like AMartin56 I ordered my lens on preorder and just got it about a month back. Communication was impossible thru phone. The only time I got replies back was to email Shawn directly. I think for $1000 be deal is great and serves my purpose. I have never owned an anamorphic lens before so I can't compare on the optics quality of the lens. The picture on my screen is great so that all that matters at the end.
I would keep emailing Shawn for updates. I was very frustrated at well as my HT install date was pushed back almost 3 months awaiting this lens to show up.
So, you two gentlemen had waited 6 months for the delivery.
As more than a couple of weeks ago I emailed Panamorph and got reply almost a week later that said my order will be shipped by mid May and be patient.
I hope this time they mean it as my order was placed in last year early November. That gonna make it just pass 6 months and two weeks.
Fortunately I still have my DIY A-len that I can watch the latest movies, so my patience haven't run very thin yet. However I did buy one of those inexpensive Lux meter two months ago, expecting how much benefits or difference I may gain by installing the Phoneix.
Well, seems like I've to wait another 3 weeks or more to see the results.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #572 of 594 Old 04-26-2016, 08:42 PM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 68 Post(s)
Liked: 79
I'm a pre-order customer from last fall, that has now received the lens. Initial impressions are the construction quality is excellent. Everything was very well packed and protected in shipment, and accompanied by clear documentation. Along with others who have commented, I have been disappointed with the (lack of) updates and communication from Panamorph as delays mounted on getting this lens out. They have published a note on their website detailing their current difficulties.

However, while the delays and lack of information continued, I refrained from any negative comments. I purchased the lens as a participant in a pre-order offer that featured an exceptional price without a firm shipping date, and though it was delayed much longer than expected, the product has finally arrived. I haven't mounted the lens yet, but from initial inspection my expectations of a quality product from a respected manufacturer have so far been met. I look forward to mounting the lens and experiencing the benefits of anamorphic projection.

I hope that Panamorph continues to produce even more in the way of affordable and quality lens products for the home theatre market, and wish them the best. I certainly hope that they are getting on top of their current manufacturing and personnel issues, and even more so improving their customer communications while that is addressed.
post #573 of 594 Old 05-05-2016, 08:06 PM

Quoted: 71 Post(s)
Liked: 22
Quote:
Originally Posted by WestCDA View Post
I'm a pre-order customer from last fall, that has now received the lens. Initial impressions are the construction quality is excellent. Everything was very well packed and protected in shipment, and accompanied by clear documentation. Along with others who have commented, I have been disappointed with the (lack of) updates and communication from Panamorph as delays mounted on getting this lens out. They have published a note on their website detailing their current difficulties.

However, while the delays and lack of information continued, I refrained from any negative comments. I purchased the lens as a participant in a pre-order offer that featured an exceptional price without a firm shipping date, and though it was delayed much longer than expected, the product has finally arrived. I haven't mounted the lens yet, but from initial inspection my expectations of a quality product from a respected manufacturer have so far been met. I look forward to mounting the lens and experiencing the benefits of anamorphic projection.

I hope that Panamorph continues to produce even more in the way of affordable and quality lens products for the home theatre market, and wish them the best. I certainly hope that they are getting on top of their current manufacturing and personnel issues, and even more so improving their customer communications while that is addressed.
I still have heard nothing. My lens was ordered and paid for 5th October last.
Your comments give me encouragement that it is worth the wait.
Looking forward to hear more once you have it up and running.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #574 of 594 Old 05-19-2016, 10:32 AM

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked: 1
Quote:
Originally Posted by john hunter View Post
I still have heard nothing. My lens was ordered and paid for 5th October last.
Your comments give me encouragement that it is worth the wait.
Looking forward to hear more once you have it up and running.
So is panamorph selling these anymore? I didn't see it on there site.
post #575 of 594 Old 05-19-2016, 10:37 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Forum Addicted Member

Mentioned: 232 Post(s)
Quoted: 11828 Post(s)
Liked: 9358
Send a message via Skype™ to Mike Garrett
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lazarcutter View Post
So is panamorph selling these anymore? I didn't see it on there site.
You can buy them, but only through a dealer and the price is now much higher.
post #576 of 594 Old 05-19-2016, 11:21 AM

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 10
I placed my order back in November last year and all I have got from emails to them is that it will be shipped soon. Last email at end of March said it'll be shipped in 3 weeks - that made it 3rd week of April. As of today nothing.

I wonder what the excuse is now!
post #577 of 594 Old 05-19-2016, 12:59 PM

Unhappy

Quote:

How did you go when you had mounted the Phoenix?
Looking for some encouragement that all this waiting is worth while.
Just realised that the name if the lens was well chosen!!!
post #578 of 594 Old 05-19-2016, 01:42 PM

Quoted: 16 Post(s)
Great news.Since my last post, finally I received Panamorph shipping notification plus the tracking number last night.
However I still have to wait another week to have the item to clear the custom and through our snail mail system before it reaches my home.
So for those who still waiting for their pre-orders, I think you may soon get the message from Pnanmorph.
post #579 of 594 Old 05-20-2016, 07:56 AM

Thumbs up

Quote:
How did you go when you had mounted the Phoenix?
Looking for some encouragement that all this waiting is worth while.
Just realised that the name if the lens was well chosen!!!
The picture looks great. I moved my projector back to 14 feet from the screen, as recommended, from the original mounting of 12 feet. That did reduce the pincushion to a small amount that is easily taken up by the screen masking. The image is bright and clear across the screen. There is some color fringing to the sides which I will take out with ECC, but it is not something even noticeable in most normal viewing. Both are characteristic of this type of lens, and easily addressed. I have a new 120" Carada 2:35 screen in transit, and am looking forward to getting it set up - very impressed with the lens so far.
BillFree likes this.
post #580 of 594 Old 05-20-2016, 04:29 PM

Quote:
The picture looks great. I moved my projector back to 14 feet from the screen, as recommended, from the original mounting of 12 feet. That did reduce the pincushion to a small amount that is easily taken up by the screen masking. The image is bright and clear across the screen. There is some color fringing to the sides which I will take out with ECC, but it is not something even noticeable in most normal viewing. Both are characteristic of this type of lens, and easily addressed. I have a new 120" Carada 2:35 screen in transit, and am looking forward to getting it set up - very impressed with the lens so far.
Thanks for that encouragement. Hopefully my Phoenix will arise from the ashes before too much longer!
post #581 of 594 Old 05-25-2016, 07:37 AM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 1
Phoenix Lens

I just received my phoenix lens yesterday (5/25/2016), ordered end of October. Installed last night to my Epson 6030 projected onto an elite screen (138" curved) with 15 ft throw. Looks amazing. No pincushion effect. Install was maybe 15 minutes. It does not completely make up for the lack of communication from Panamorph or the extended wait, but I am very satisfied with the end result. If you can get this lens, it is well worth the money.
BillFree likes this.
post #582 of 594 Old 05-28-2016, 10:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ardu View Post
I just received my phoenix lens yesterday (5/25/2016), ordered end of October. Installed last night to my Epson 6030 projected onto an elite screen (138" curved) with 15 ft throw. Looks amazing. No pincushion effect. Install was maybe 15 minutes. It does not completely make up for the lack of communication from Panamorph or the extended wait, but I am very satisfied with the end result. If you can get this lens, it is well worth the money.
Just received an email that my lens is on its way down under 1 June. Can't wait.
post #583 of 594 Old 06-21-2016, 09:13 PM

Quote:
Just received an email that my lens is on its way down under 1 June. Can't wait.
Well it was postponed but arrived safely today.
Beautifully packed and Panamorph did what I requested and packed the lens and mount separately to save duty here in Australia
So in the end Panamorph came to the party and did more than what usually would be asked of them.
I couldn't be happier with the out come.
Now to fit the lens.
As an A-lens virgin I am looking forward to the experience!
post #584 of 594 Old 06-23-2016, 11:11 AM

Quoted: 46 Post(s)
Liked: 8
Received my Phoenix lens last week(Ordered in last week of Oct 2015)..Time to install it and then do the ECC correction!!
post #585 of 594 Old 06-24-2016, 11:26 AM

Mentioned: 19 Post(s)
Quoted: 2166 Post(s)
Liked: 1150
Two random thoughts:

I'm concerned about comments like 'no pincushion'. I didn't think that was possible. I project a 50 inch tall image from about 14.5 feet. I can't eliminate pincushion entirely but what I do have is easily absorbed by my screen frame. It's still a bit noticeable on TV channels like CNN that have a lot of graphics but I rarely watch that.

I'm finding that the resolution loss with 16x9 content doesn't bother me AT ALL. How does everyone else feel?
post #586 of 594 Old 06-26-2016, 09:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AMartin56 View Post
... I'm concerned about comments like 'no pincushion'. I didn't think that was possible. I project a 50 inch tall image from about 14.5 feet. I can't eliminate pincushion entirely but what I do have is easily absorbed by my screen frame ...
On receipt of the lens I first installed it at my original mounted projection distance of 12 feet, as when I had first inquired with Panamorph I was told that distance was 'useable, but not ideal'. Pincushion (without a screen border to hide it) was quite evident. I then increased the projection distance to 14 feet (the minimum Panamorph 'recommended' distance), while keeping the projected image size the same, and the pincushion was substantially reduced. I don't know if further increasing the projection distance would eliminate it entirely as that isn't an option for me, but based on my observations so far I'd say its possible.
post #587 of 594 Old 07-20-2016, 08:53 AM

Liked: 10
Still waiting for mine. The anticipation has worn off and don't think I can really be bothered anymore. Very highly disappointed with whatever they call themselves. If they can't get me the product eight months after ordering my money with interest should be returned.
post #588 of 594 Old 11-30-2016, 05:28 PM

Liked: 0
Is this deal still going on?

Also I just started to look for an anamorphic lens. Is this an amazing price then?
post #589 of 594 Old 11-30-2016, 05:51 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Quoted: 463 Post(s)
Liked: 188
Quote:
Originally Posted by eggsy View Post
Is this deal still going on?

Also I just started to look for an anamorphic lens. Is this an amazing price then?
No this preorder deal ended a very long time ago.
post #590 of 594 Old 09-21-2017, 03:59 AM

Quoted: 27 Post(s)
Liked: 0
Quote:
On receipt of the lens I first installed it at my original mounted projection distance of 12 feet, as when I had first inquired with Panamorph I was told that distance was 'useable, but not ideal'. Pincushion (without a screen border to hide it) was quite evident. I then increased the projection distance to 14 feet (the minimum Panamorph 'recommended' distance), while keeping the projected image size the same, and the pincushion was substantially reduced. I don't know if further increasing the projection distance would eliminate it entirely as that isn't an option for me, but based on my observations so far I'd say its possible.
I am thinking about an anamorphic lens or zooming.What is pincushion effect?
post #591 of 594 Old 09-21-2017, 11:36 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 31 Post(s)
Quoted: 2754 Post(s)
Liked: 1429
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pintura View Post
I am thinking about an anamorphic lens or zooming.What is pincushion effect?
If you squeeze a pillow in the center it's narrow there , wider on both ends. That's the visual description of the distortion you see with the anamorphic lens on a flat screen . To compensate you use a curved screen OR use a regular flat screen and overscan the image an inch or so until the image fills the screen.

But here's a hitch though . The new Paladin and Pheonix lens from Panamorph are vertical compression lens. The distortion is not pincushion, it's actually barrel shaped ( as in the old wooden barrels), narrow on the ends wider in the middle , exactly opposite
to pincushion. These new lens are really designed for a flat screen but will work on a flat or curved if you overscan.

Further the projector is back from the screen the lesser the distortion.

Dedicated Theater: Sony VPL VW 885ES , Panamorph DCR & ISCO III L Anamorphic Lens, Draper TecVision XT1800X Screen, 2.40:1 134" diagonal curved , Denon AVR-X8500 , 9.2.6 Atmos, Panasonic UB900, Oppo 203, Lumagen Pro 4440 , (3) Paradigm CI Elite E7-L+C+R fronts, , (2) CI Pro P80-IW Rear, (2) Paradigm SA-ADP In-wall Surround, (6) SIG-1.5R-30 v.3 In-Ceiling, Subwoofers: (2) SVS SB-16 Ultra , SVS PC13-Ultra .

Last edited by roxiedog13; 09-21-2017 at 11:43 AM.
post #592 of 594 Old 09-22-2017, 06:47 AM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 126 Post(s)
Liked: 41
In doing some research on the new lenses, I believe the Paladin is a vertical compression while the Phoenix remains a horizontal expansion type. I am considering adding one to my JVC RS-400.

roxiedog13....I see you're using a Paladin with a Sony 675. Do you find the image gets any softer with the lens v. without?
post #593 of 594 Old 09-23-2017, 03:45 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quoted: 183 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by jkscherk View Post
In doing some research on the new lenses, I believe the Paladin is a vertical compression while the Phoenix remains a horizontal expansion type. I am considering adding one to my JVC RS-400.

roxiedog13....I see you're using a Paladin with a Sony 675. Do you find the image gets any softer with the lens v. without?
are you looking for a vertical compression lens?

Dan
post #594 of 594 Old 09-23-2017, 11:14 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 126 Post(s)
Liked: 41
Quote:
Originally Posted by D_B_0673 View Post
are you looking for a vertical compression lens?
I think I could use either in my setup. However, I just found out that my JVC won't stretch a 4K signal so that would mean indeed to add a 4K processor like a Lumagen or go back to only 1080p inputs. Neither option I desire.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply Digital Hi-End Projectors - $3,000+ USD MSRP

Tags
W1070.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page