Owners of Sony VPL-VW665 - Page 71 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 
 657Likes
Reply
 
Thread Tools
post #2101 of 3304 Old 09-05-2016, 05:19 PM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
Bandyka's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2015
Posts: 3,880
Mentioned: 80 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2327 Post(s)
Liked: 1423
Quote:
Originally Posted by Javs View Post
Dont lie man, you have been wanting to stack our projectors again for ages

Its gonna be fun!. May as well take the opportunity to give people some data too.
Its all true I don't lie. I am sick of the J v S crap and always have been (and not because it does not interest me but because of the silly wars going on) but this is an opportunity to see it for real, I am all for real life scenarios and not much into guesswork and over the top "professional like" talk by enthusiasts which is often the case here. No offence I just think it often gets a bit too much and we forget to enjoy our toys for what they are. The comparison wars are silly in my eyes as we did not make the PJs corporations built them its quite pointless defending one or the other, simply get what suits your taste and needs, there is no ultimate machine IMO. These comparisons are to help the community to decide nothing more. As I said heaps of times no matter how black the J goes it just won't suit my needs as simple as that. As in the previous post I can't wait 20 sec for every HDMI handshake just as an example. Anyway lets leave it at that and just post a link here to the other thread once we've done it.
Besides it was your idea in the first place
mirodk and RickAVManiac like this.

JVC RS620/X9500 in bat cave Anthem MRX-720 + 3xpower amps = 7.1.4, Martin Logan Motion 60XT fronts, ML FX rears, ML Motion 50XT centre, 4 x ML Motion 2 on ceiling Atmos, ML Balanced force 210 as the beast. Panasonic UB900, STAX-3170 earspeakers, HTPC, PS4, PS3, Amiga 500 etc..Epson LS10000 calibration and WCG SDR settings: https://www.avsforum.com/forum/24-dig...l#post50298297
Bandyka is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #2102 of 3304 Old 09-07-2016, 02:20 AM
Advanced Member
 
Kevin 3000's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2005
Posts: 933
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 141 Post(s)
Liked: 40
Yawn........ link please......
Kevin 3000 is offline  
post #2103 of 3304 Old 09-07-2016, 02:54 AM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
Javs's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2012
Location: Sydney
Posts: 8,064
Mentioned: 501 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 6937 Post(s)
Liked: 6661
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kevin 3000 View Post
Yawn........ link please......
Postponed to next week due to the other party being sick

JVC X9500 (RS620) | 120" 16:9 | Marantz AV7702 MkII | Emotiva XPA-7 | DIY Modular Towers | DIY TPL-150 Surrounds | DIY Atmos | DIY 18" Subs
-
MadVR Settings | UHD Waveform Analysis | Arve Tool Instructions + V3 Javs Curves
Javs is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #2104 of 3304 Old 09-07-2016, 04:06 PM
Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2016
Posts: 27
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 26 Post(s)
Liked: 12
So I have owned the VPL-VW665es for 8 months now and The HDR has never worked properly. I am sure others are having this same problem. Sony has strung me along with the old " We will tell the engineers BS." They eventually let me talk to the biggest prick in the world named Andre who lied and discriminated against me because of my lack of knowledge. I am not a super techy nerd but I understand this **** enough to understand my picture looks like someone turned RED ALL THE WAY UP and that it's DARK AS HELL. Doesn't work with Samsung Player nor does it work with Xbox One S player. I heard it works with panasonic but you still have to mess with the setting to make it look decent. This is complete BS considering there are several TV's out there that are 4k HDR fully compatible and look amazing.

Another note Sony Falsely Advertises this Unit by not clearing stating its limitations on the website. In no way at all does it say that 4K HDR at 50/60hz is limited to 8-bit which means its useless for watching anything at 60hz or playing any 4k HDR games which will be released within a month.

It claims it can handle 4K HDR 10-bit 24hz. My xbox on s tells me otherwise. Says it doesn't handle any of these.

Sony claims it handles this but it doesn't work with any players properly.

They made me spend 100's of dollars on new hdmi cables which have obviously given me same exact results since the cables I was using was 18gbps High speed. They have no answers and are trying to screw us all at this point.

Who else is having these same exact issues please comment. We can do something about this but everyone needs to be apart of it. For some reason someone knows the magical fix to my problems let me know. Appreciate it very much!

pictures below show what xbox one s is detecting about projector and how ****ty my so called 4K HDR picture looks at 2020 colorspace which is supposed to be on.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_9562.jpg
Views:	173
Size:	115.3 KB
ID:	1648361   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_9683.jpg
Views:	128
Size:	67.5 KB
ID:	1648369  
llang269 likes this.
rgash11 is offline  
post #2105 of 3304 Old 09-07-2016, 04:29 PM
Advanced Member
 
DaveUpton's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2007
Location: Houston, TX
Posts: 613
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 11 Post(s)
Liked: 19
I have the same problem. I don't intend to put up with anything either. Will keep you posted

Sent from my Nexus 6P using Tapatalk
llang269 likes this.

Verum postulo res.
DaveUpton is offline  
post #2106 of 3304 Old 09-07-2016, 05:22 PM
Advanced Member
 
hasta666's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2016
Posts: 733
Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 551 Post(s)
Liked: 198
Owners of Sony VPL-VW665

I can understand your frustration. Mine ended when I purchased the Panasonic player. And I can say it works out-of-the-box. As for the Xbox One S, this gets me worried. I hope we can send 4K 10-bit in the future. I think all had to do with 4:2:0 vs 4:4:4 signal. With some player/source, you have no choice and that is the problem.

Basically none of the actual Xbox One S 4K signal is supported by the projector.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Bandyka likes this.

Last edited by hasta666; 09-07-2016 at 05:30 PM.
hasta666 is online now  
post #2107 of 3304 Old 09-07-2016, 05:37 PM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
Javs's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2012
Location: Sydney
Posts: 8,064
Mentioned: 501 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 6937 Post(s)
Liked: 6661
Quote:
Originally Posted by rgash11 View Post
Another note Sony Falsely Advertises this Unit by not clearing stating its limitations on the website. In no way at all does it say that 4K HDR at 50/60hz is limited to 8-bit which means its useless for watching anything at 60hz or playing any 4k HDR games which will be released within a month.

It claims it can handle 4K HDR 10-bit 24hz. My xbox on s tells me otherwise. Says it doesn't handle any of these.

Sony claims it handles this but it doesn't work with any players properly.

They made me spend 100's of dollars on new hdmi cables which have obviously given me same exact results since the cables I was using was 18gbps High speed. They have no answers and are trying to screw us all at this point.
It is no secret that the Sony's do not do the full 18gbps HDMI. Only the new 550ES will do that. That has full 18gbps chips.

Sounds like the Xbox is trying to send 4:4:4 video at 4k/24p 10bit, just out of reach of your HDMI specs...

When it comes to 4k at 60hz 4:4:4, everybody is limited to 8 bit, even those with 18gbps HDMI capable devices. That's not new. You should however be able to view 4k/60 at 4:2:0 chroma. You should be throwing blame at the Xbox for severely limiting its compatibility with the resolutions and chroma options out there. Any PC will easily do it.
Bandyka likes this.

JVC X9500 (RS620) | 120" 16:9 | Marantz AV7702 MkII | Emotiva XPA-7 | DIY Modular Towers | DIY TPL-150 Surrounds | DIY Atmos | DIY 18" Subs
-
MadVR Settings | UHD Waveform Analysis | Arve Tool Instructions + V3 Javs Curves
Javs is offline  
post #2108 of 3304 Old 09-07-2016, 05:40 PM
Advanced Member
 
TomWheeler's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2004
Location: Raleigh, NC
Posts: 564
Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 191 Post(s)
Liked: 113
Quote:
Originally Posted by rgash11 View Post
So I have owned the VPL-VW665es for 8 months now and The HDR has never worked properly. I am sure others are having this same problem. Sony has strung me along with the old " We will tell the engineers BS." They eventually let me talk to the biggest prick in the world named Andre who lied and discriminated against me because of my lack of knowledge. I am not a super techy nerd but I understand this **** enough to understand my picture looks like someone turned RED ALL THE WAY UP and that it's DARK AS HELL. Doesn't work with Samsung Player nor does it work with Xbox One S player. I heard it works with panasonic but you still have to mess with the setting to make it look decent. This is complete BS considering there are several TV's out there that are 4k HDR fully compatible and look amazing.

Another note Sony Falsely Advertises this Unit by not clearing stating its limitations on the website. In no way at all does it say that 4K HDR at 50/60hz is limited to 8-bit which means its useless for watching anything at 60hz or playing any 4k HDR games which will be released within a month.

It claims it can handle 4K HDR 10-bit 24hz. My xbox on s tells me otherwise. Says it doesn't handle any of these.

Sony claims it handles this but it doesn't work with any players properly.

They made me spend 100's of dollars on new hdmi cables which have obviously given me same exact results since the cables I was using was 18gbps High speed. They have no answers and are trying to screw us all at this point.

Who else is having these same exact issues please comment. We can do something about this but everyone needs to be apart of it. For some reason someone knows the magical fix to my problems let me know. Appreciate it very much!

pictures below show what xbox one s is detecting about projector and how ****ty my so called 4K HDR picture looks at 2020 colorspace which is supposed to be on.
I have had the Sony 665ES installed in my home theater since late January of this year and the Samsung K8500 UHD bluray player since mid-February. I have had the Panasonic UBD900 UltraHD blu-ray player for about two weeks. Here are the facts that I have observed with this equipment. It is vital to have the latest firmware upgrade (2.305) installed on your Sony 665ES in order for it to work with either the Samsung K8500 or the Panasonic UBD900. It is also important to have the latest firmware upgrade on the UHD blu-ray player as well. Finally it is essential that you have an HDMI high speed cable that will support at least 10.2 Gbs bandwidth. The shorter the HDMI cable leading to HDMI 2 on the projetor, the more likely it will work. I use a 30 foot Monster Black Platinum Premium HDMI cable recommneded to me by another owner of the 665ES and it works fine.

Once the above conditions are met, in order to get a good (i.e. good flesh tones, no excessive red in the on screen) image, etc.) with the Samsung K8500 UHD blu-ray player you will need to play back a UHD blu-ray disc, and on the Samsung K8500 select Tools>Picture Mode>User, and adjust the brightness and contrast to give you the optimum picture with HDR + WCG. Also, be certain that you select BT. 202 in the color space menu setting on your 665ES as this does not happen automatially when you play a UHD blu-ray disc. You may also need to carry out slight adjustments to the color within the Samsung Menu as just described. Once I made these settings I had a very nice on screen image with good flesh tones, no excessive red, and it clearly showed HDR. The only downside to the Samsung K8500/665ES ombination that i have not been able to overcome is some clipping of the brightest highlights in a few scenes. For example, oassionally I will see a scene with blue sky and clouds and small areas of some clouds will be blown out , i.e. clipped. I can correct this by turning down slightly the contrast setting in the Samsung Tools menu, but this results in an overall darker imager than I prefer.

The Panasonic UBD900 is easier to get an excellent UHD blu-ray picture with HDR + WCG than is the Samsung K8500. With that said, even with the Panasonic UBD900, I have made some adjustments to Contrast and Brightness in the Video Menu of the UBD900. I do not see white clipping with the Panasonic player, and the image and overall color quality is excellent. The Panasonic player clearly shows me that I am getting HDR + BT. 2020 +HDR at 24 fps when playing a UHD blu-ray disc.

I would urge you to read the above carefully, and if you have questions, please do ask them. Both of these UHD blu-ray players can give a very nice on screen image with UHD blu-ray discs and the Sony 665ES.

Tom
TomWheeler is online now  
post #2109 of 3304 Old 09-07-2016, 06:49 PM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
thrang's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2005
Location: USA
Posts: 7,309
Mentioned: 30 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2673 Post(s)
Liked: 2171
Quote:
Originally Posted by Javs View Post
It is no secret that the Sony's do not do the full 18gbps HDMI. Only the new 550ES will do that. That has full 18gbps chips.

Sounds like the Xbox is trying to send 4:4:4 video at 4k/24p 10bit, just out of reach of your HDMI specs...

When it comes to 4k at 60hz 4:4:4, everybody is limited to 8 bit, even those with 18gbps HDMI capable devices. That's not new. You should however be able to view 4k/60 at 4:2:0 chroma. You should be throwing blame at the Xbox for severely limiting its compatibility with the resolutions and chroma options out there. Any PC will easily do it.
The 5000 also has 18 gbps hdmi...

UPDATED 4/29/17 Thrang's Home Theater (for now...)
Sony VPL-VW5000es • Panamorph Paladin DCR • Trinnov Altitude 32/24 • Crown DCIn amplifiers • JBL M2 (LCR-LW-RW) • JBL S2S-EX subwoofers x2 • JBL SCL-4 (side/rear surrounds) • JBL SCS12 (x4) SCS8 (x2) TH/RH/TM • Lumagen Radiance Pro • Panasonic UB820 • Apple TV 4k • Synology RAID (45 TB total storage) • RTI control system
thrang is offline  
post #2110 of 3304 Old 09-07-2016, 06:53 PM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
Javs's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2012
Location: Sydney
Posts: 8,064
Mentioned: 501 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 6937 Post(s)
Liked: 6661
Quote:
Originally Posted by thrang View Post
The 5000 also has 18 gbps hdmi...
That is true. Though hardly a comparable price range.

JVC X9500 (RS620) | 120" 16:9 | Marantz AV7702 MkII | Emotiva XPA-7 | DIY Modular Towers | DIY TPL-150 Surrounds | DIY Atmos | DIY 18" Subs
-
MadVR Settings | UHD Waveform Analysis | Arve Tool Instructions + V3 Javs Curves
Javs is offline  
post #2111 of 3304 Old 09-07-2016, 07:01 PM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
thrang's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2005
Location: USA
Posts: 7,309
Mentioned: 30 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2673 Post(s)
Liked: 2171
Quote:
Originally Posted by Javs View Post
That is true. Though hardly a comparable price range.
Your post wasn't mentioning price, just capability...

UPDATED 4/29/17 Thrang's Home Theater (for now...)
Sony VPL-VW5000es • Panamorph Paladin DCR • Trinnov Altitude 32/24 • Crown DCIn amplifiers • JBL M2 (LCR-LW-RW) • JBL S2S-EX subwoofers x2 • JBL SCL-4 (side/rear surrounds) • JBL SCS12 (x4) SCS8 (x2) TH/RH/TM • Lumagen Radiance Pro • Panasonic UB820 • Apple TV 4k • Synology RAID (45 TB total storage) • RTI control system
thrang is offline  
post #2112 of 3304 Old 09-07-2016, 07:04 PM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
Javs's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2012
Location: Sydney
Posts: 8,064
Mentioned: 501 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 6937 Post(s)
Liked: 6661
Quote:
Originally Posted by thrang View Post
Your post wasn't mentioning price, just capability...
Whatever buddy...

JVC X9500 (RS620) | 120" 16:9 | Marantz AV7702 MkII | Emotiva XPA-7 | DIY Modular Towers | DIY TPL-150 Surrounds | DIY Atmos | DIY 18" Subs
-
MadVR Settings | UHD Waveform Analysis | Arve Tool Instructions + V3 Javs Curves
Javs is offline  
post #2113 of 3304 Old 09-08-2016, 04:40 AM
Member
 
Fransfar's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2016
Posts: 34
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 25 Post(s)
Liked: 5
It seems that the 520 is getting a very important firmware upgrade at the end of next October. This was reported in another forum:
The software update with the new "HDR contrast" control will also include HLG support and will indeed come to 520 and 320. Several "eye witnesses" at IFA have said that "HDR contrast" works really, really well and will make the Sony projectors have the best (and most "out of the box") HDR implementation yet.
Here is the link of the info:http://www.projection-homecinema.fr/...deoprojection/
Fransfar is offline  
post #2114 of 3304 Old 09-08-2016, 04:42 AM
Member
 
Fransfar's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2016
Posts: 34
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 25 Post(s)
Liked: 5
Basically the 520 will get all the software improvements of the new 550 less the revised Reality Creation and the new input board that is earmarked primarily for gaming. Owners of the 520 will not need to upgrade for the 550, or so they say!
Fransfar is offline  
post #2115 of 3304 Old 09-08-2016, 05:10 PM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
Bandyka's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2015
Posts: 3,880
Mentioned: 80 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2327 Post(s)
Liked: 1423
Quote:
Originally Posted by TomWheeler View Post
I have had the Sony 665ES installed in my home theater since late January of this year and the Samsung K8500 UHD bluray player since mid-February. I have had the Panasonic UBD900 UltraHD blu-ray player for about two weeks. Here are the facts that I have observed with this equipment. It is vital to have the latest firmware upgrade (2.305) installed on your Sony 665ES in order for it to work with either the Samsung K8500 or the Panasonic UBD900. It is also important to have the latest firmware upgrade on the UHD blu-ray player as well. Finally it is essential that you have an HDMI high speed cable that will support at least 10.2 Gbs bandwidth. The shorter the HDMI cable leading to HDMI 2 on the projetor, the more likely it will work. I use a 30 foot Monster Black Platinum Premium HDMI cable recommneded to me by another owner of the 665ES and it works fine.

Once the above conditions are met, in order to get a good (i.e. good flesh tones, no excessive red in the on screen) image, etc.) with the Samsung K8500 UHD blu-ray player you will need to play back a UHD blu-ray disc, and on the Samsung K8500 select Tools>Picture Mode>User, and adjust the brightness and contrast to give you the optimum picture with HDR + WCG. Also, be certain that you select BT. 202 in the color space menu setting on your 665ES as this does not happen automatially when you play a UHD blu-ray disc. You may also need to carry out slight adjustments to the color within the Samsung Menu as just described. Once I made these settings I had a very nice on screen image with good flesh tones, no excessive red, and it clearly showed HDR. The only downside to the Samsung K8500/665ES ombination that i have not been able to overcome is some clipping of the brightest highlights in a few scenes. For example, oassionally I will see a scene with blue sky and clouds and small areas of some clouds will be blown out , i.e. clipped. I can correct this by turning down slightly the contrast setting in the Samsung Tools menu, but this results in an overall darker imager than I prefer.

The Panasonic UBD900 is easier to get an excellent UHD blu-ray picture with HDR + WCG than is the Samsung K8500. With that said, even with the Panasonic UBD900, I have made some adjustments to Contrast and Brightness in the Video Menu of the UBD900. I do not see white clipping with the Panasonic player, and the image and overall color quality is excellent. The Panasonic player clearly shows me that I am getting HDR + BT. 2020 +HDR at 24 fps when playing a UHD blu-ray disc.

I would urge you to read the above carefully, and if you have questions, please do ask them. Both of these UHD blu-ray players can give a very nice on screen image with UHD blu-ray discs and the Sony 665ES.

Tom
Mostly agree and just wanted to add, I finally managed to get a 7m HDMI 2.0b cable and the "b" is the important bit. It's a prototype custom made cable but the difference is very noticeable especially with full HDR 4K, motion appears smoother and it seems glitch free so far.

JVC RS620/X9500 in bat cave Anthem MRX-720 + 3xpower amps = 7.1.4, Martin Logan Motion 60XT fronts, ML FX rears, ML Motion 50XT centre, 4 x ML Motion 2 on ceiling Atmos, ML Balanced force 210 as the beast. Panasonic UB900, STAX-3170 earspeakers, HTPC, PS4, PS3, Amiga 500 etc..Epson LS10000 calibration and WCG SDR settings: https://www.avsforum.com/forum/24-dig...l#post50298297
Bandyka is offline  
post #2116 of 3304 Old 09-08-2016, 06:57 PM
Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2016
Posts: 27
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 26 Post(s)
Liked: 12
wow thanks for the great feedback

Thanks everyone for the great feedback. I am happy to hear the phillips player seems to work. I am going to test this and post my results! I guess I have 1 major concern. Will this projector get an update to allow 10 bit 4k HDR at 60hz for Gaming? Can anyone say this will happen with any news they have heard or articles etc? If not I feel like this is so useless within less than a year! Unless you don't game! haha
rgash11 is offline  
post #2117 of 3304 Old 09-08-2016, 07:32 PM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
Javs's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2012
Location: Sydney
Posts: 8,064
Mentioned: 501 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 6937 Post(s)
Liked: 6661
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bandyka View Post
Mostly agree and just wanted to add, I finally managed to get a 7m HDMI 2.0b cable and the "b" is the important bit. It's a prototype custom made cable but the difference is very noticeable especially with full HDR 4K, motion appears smoother and it seems glitch free so far.
Since you have a 10gbps projector. I don't get how motion can be better with the swap out of a cable that far exceeds your projectors capability in the first place, let alone if you were already running a proper 18gbps capable HDMI cable.

Sounds like the plecebo force is strong with you


JVC X9500 (RS620) | 120" 16:9 | Marantz AV7702 MkII | Emotiva XPA-7 | DIY Modular Towers | DIY TPL-150 Surrounds | DIY Atmos | DIY 18" Subs
-
MadVR Settings | UHD Waveform Analysis | Arve Tool Instructions + V3 Javs Curves
Javs is offline  
post #2118 of 3304 Old 09-08-2016, 08:29 PM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
Bandyka's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2015
Posts: 3,880
Mentioned: 80 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2327 Post(s)
Liked: 1423
Quote:
Originally Posted by Javs View Post
Since you have a 10gbps projector. I don't get how motion can be better with the swap out of a cable that far exceeds your projectors capability in the first place, let alone if you were already running a proper 18gbps capable HDMI cable.

Sounds like the plecebo force is strong with you

Yeah mate you didn't get a few things before I showed you proof (Panny better sound quality etc..) I told you already, playing HDR demos was a little jittery now its perfectly smooth as simple as that. I can demonstrate as I still have the old cable which is apparently top notch.

I think skepticism got the better of you JVC community?? sorry had to.

JVC RS620/X9500 in bat cave Anthem MRX-720 + 3xpower amps = 7.1.4, Martin Logan Motion 60XT fronts, ML FX rears, ML Motion 50XT centre, 4 x ML Motion 2 on ceiling Atmos, ML Balanced force 210 as the beast. Panasonic UB900, STAX-3170 earspeakers, HTPC, PS4, PS3, Amiga 500 etc..Epson LS10000 calibration and WCG SDR settings: https://www.avsforum.com/forum/24-dig...l#post50298297
Bandyka is offline  
post #2119 of 3304 Old 09-08-2016, 08:43 PM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
Javs's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2012
Location: Sydney
Posts: 8,064
Mentioned: 501 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 6937 Post(s)
Liked: 6661
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bandyka View Post
Yeah mate you didn't get a few things before I showed you proof (Panny better sound quality etc..) I told you already, playing HDR demos was a little jittery now its perfectly smooth as simple as that. I can demonstrate as I still have the old cable which is apparently top notch.

I think skepticism got the better of you JVC community?? sorry had to.
Cant wait to see it

JVC X9500 (RS620) | 120" 16:9 | Marantz AV7702 MkII | Emotiva XPA-7 | DIY Modular Towers | DIY TPL-150 Surrounds | DIY Atmos | DIY 18" Subs
-
MadVR Settings | UHD Waveform Analysis | Arve Tool Instructions + V3 Javs Curves
Javs is offline  
post #2120 of 3304 Old 09-09-2016, 06:26 AM
Senior Member
 
jabz's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2004
Location: New Zealand
Posts: 293
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 165 Post(s)
Liked: 70
Quote:
Originally Posted by bikerapn View Post
Hi jabz - I'm the proud new owner of a 665ES. Would you mind sending me the link as well? Thanks in advance.
Sorry missed this, done.
jabz is offline  
post #2121 of 3304 Old 09-09-2016, 06:49 AM
Advanced Member
 
baseball0618's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2016
Location: Chadds Ford PA
Posts: 637
Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 443 Post(s)
Liked: 255
Quote:
Originally Posted by jabz View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by bikerapn View Post
Hi jabz - I'm the proud new owner of a 665ES. Would you mind sending me the link as well? Thanks in advance.
Sorry missed this, done.
Could I as well? Thank you!!
baseball0618 is offline  
post #2122 of 3304 Old 09-09-2016, 09:13 PM
Senior Member
 
jabz's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2004
Location: New Zealand
Posts: 293
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 165 Post(s)
Liked: 70
Quote:
Originally Posted by baseball0618 View Post
Could I as well? Thank you!!
Sure done. I won't reply to requests in the main forum any longer, just PM. As it clogs up the thread
jabz is offline  
post #2123 of 3304 Old 09-10-2016, 01:54 AM
Senior Member
 
jabz's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2004
Location: New Zealand
Posts: 293
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 165 Post(s)
Liked: 70
Interesting reading the results Cine4Home achieves from their adjustments, after updating to the latest firmware

Is anyone able to translate this into actual steps, so we can all benefit from this and achieve the same level of picture. Maybe @Cine4Home can provide exact steps please.

thanks
Peak and Javs like this.
jabz is offline  
post #2124 of 3304 Old 09-10-2016, 04:54 AM
Member
 
Fransfar's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2016
Posts: 34
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 25 Post(s)
Liked: 5
The next firmware that includes HDR contrast will address the same modifications that Cine4home did to the service mode settings.
Fransfar is offline  
post #2125 of 3304 Old 09-10-2016, 11:05 AM
Member
 
JediStitch's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2016
Location: Ashland, OR
Posts: 17
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 16 Post(s)
Liked: 4
I think I finally have the perfect setup for my 665

After having my 665 for months of tweaking, firmware updating, switching sources, etc. etc. I think I've finally hit on the combination of equipment that I'm really thrilled with for this projector: The Panasonic DMP-UB900 player, and a Stewart Filmscreen Cima with the 1.3 gain Neve material.

I own the Samsung K8500, and it works well with my 4K LG OLED 65". At best it can send a good image to the 665, with a LOT of tweaking and compromising. For a month I owned the Philips 4K player. It looked great with the 665, but was painfully slow and had only one picture mode, so I couldn't have different settings for blu-rays and UHD discs. I kept another blu-ray player attached just for standard blu-rays. It did play the Masciola HDR test patterns in the .TS format, which helped in calibration a lot. With the Philips I was able to get the picture out to the screen perfect, but I'll get to the screen in a minute.

As others have stated here, the Panasonic works very well with the 665. I honestly didn't notice a difference in 4K picture quality moving from the Philips to the Panasonic. It appears to have the same processing engine as the Philips, and a lot of the menu options are quite similar (including the odd choice of all sliders going to "12"). The info display as a movie is playing is also identical. It still needs the contrast turned up, but colors look natural and with the HDR test patterns on Sony 4K discs it can be pretty easily calibrated along with the 665s menus for great black levels and and a nice bright average picture level in HDR. Unfortunately although the manual says it will play the .TS file format, it doesn't. But the menus are good, if not as nice as the Samsungs. The backlit remote puts both the Philips and Panasonic's remotes to shame.

The missing piece of the puzzle was my screen. I had an Elitescreen 1.1 gain tensioned dropdown, and aside from a few sparkles, it was quite good with the 665. It wasn't until I tried several Acoustically Transparent samples with the 665 that I realized the importance of a perfectly SMOOTH and FLAT surface for 4K resolution. All the AT materials I tried were fine at 1080p, but at 4K the pixels were so small that any tiny crenalations of the woven materials sent the light back at a different angle and massively softened the image. The only material that didn't was an old-school micro-perf, and that was because it was essentially flat. But the holes lost a lot of light and made white scenes seem a little dim and snow a little brown. After seeing the AT screen options ruin so much of the sharpness I bought a true 4K projector for, I gave up on the idea of AT. I can live with a speaker underneath the screen much more easily than a picture I know used to look much better.

So I got a 123" diagonal 16:9 Stewart Cima with the 1.3 gain "Neve" material from Mike Garrett at AVS. The 665 is moderately bright, but that's a big screen and I like a little ambient light so I can see what I'm eating, so I wanted a little gain. I was concerned about the gain causing sparkles or hotspotting, but this material is amazing. It's extremely smooth, and the coating that gives it gain is such a microscopic fineness that there's just zero sparkles or hotspotting. I still run my lamp in high for HDR, but I can easily run it on low for everything else. It's so flat and perfect, that the 665 appears to be putting out higher resolution! It's actually just the sharpness of these tiny pixels reflecting back more correctly from the flatter surface.

Anyway after three 4K players and testing 5 screen materials, I would confidently recommend this combination to any 665 owner.
Mike Garrett likes this.

Sony VPL-VW665ES 4K HDR Projector | Denon AVR-X7200WA Reciever | Philips BDP7501 4K Blu-Ray Player | GoldenEar Triton One, 2+, Aeon 3, HTR-7000 ATMOS speakers
JediStitch is offline  
post #2126 of 3304 Old 09-10-2016, 07:34 PM
Mod & Bluray Reviewer
Moderator
 
Lee Weber's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2004
Location: Boston
Posts: 2,553
Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 181 Post(s)
Liked: 487
And then this....

"More information on the VPL-VW675ES will be released at CEDIA".

and that's all I know...
Lee Weber is offline  
post #2127 of 3304 Old 09-10-2016, 07:38 PM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
RickAVManiac's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Posts: 1,163
Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 386 Post(s)
Liked: 495
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lee Weber View Post
And then this....

"More information on the VPL-VW675ES will be released at CEDIA".

and that's all I know...
Thanks for the info. So that will be the US model number. In Europe they already know the new model number will be the VPL-VW550ES.
RickAVManiac is offline  
post #2128 of 3304 Old 09-10-2016, 08:09 PM
Advanced Member
 
DaveUpton's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2007
Location: Houston, TX
Posts: 613
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 11 Post(s)
Liked: 19
I'm stuck wondering if it's time to sell my 3 month old 665es. Sigh...

Sent from my Nexus 6P using Tapatalk

Verum postulo res.
DaveUpton is offline  
post #2129 of 3304 Old 09-10-2016, 08:46 PM
Member
 
Polarcircle's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2016
Location: Luleå, Sweden
Posts: 111
Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 59 Post(s)
Liked: 302
Quote:
Originally Posted by DaveUpton View Post
I'm stuck wondering if it's time to sell my 3 month old 665es. Sigh...

Sent from my Nexus 6P using Tapatalk
...have you seen this thread about the 550ES?

https://www.avsforum.com/forum/24-dig...-pojector.html

Projector: SONY VPL-VW870ES - Screen: MULTIBRACKETS 135" - TV: SONY KD-AG9 - BD/MEDIA players: OPPO-UDP 205, PANASONIC DMR-BCT74 (PVR), APPLE TV 4K, NVIDIA GTX 1080 - Preamp: YAMAMHA CX-A5100, Power amp: YAMAHA MX-A5000 - Speakers: YAMAHA system 11.1 configured as ATMOS 7.1.4, front NS-F901, NS-C901, back NS-F700, atmos NS-B700, sub front NS-SW901, back NS-SW700 - Cables SUPRA: HDMI HD5, XLR, RCA, USB, CLASSIC 6.0 - Broadband: Fiber 250/100
Polarcircle is offline  
post #2130 of 3304 Old 09-10-2016, 09:04 PM
Advanced Member
 
DaveUpton's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2007
Location: Houston, TX
Posts: 613
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 11 Post(s)
Liked: 19
Quote:
Originally Posted by Polarcircle View Post
...have you seen this thread about the 550ES?

https://www.avsforum.com/forum/24-dig...-pojector.html
Yes. If they confirm 18gbps hdmi support, I'll definitely have to upgrade. Otherwise, I'm stuck seeing if I can afford the jvc.

Sent from my Nexus 6P using Tapatalk
Bandyka likes this.

Verum postulo res.
DaveUpton is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
Reply Digital Hi-End Projectors - $3,000+ USD MSRP

Tags
VPL-VW665

Thread Tools
Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page


Forum Jump: 

Posting Rules  
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off