Official JVC RS600 / RS500 (X950R / X750R - X9000 / X7000) Owners Thread - Page 1049 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 
 84796Likes

post #31441 of 32123 Old 01-01-2019, 08:30 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 282 Post(s)
Liked: 180
Quote:
Originally Posted by StevenC56 View Post
To be honest with you, I have no idea how to go about checking the "nits" on my display. I'm sure it would help to know about how to set the brightness level and I even purchased a light meter a couple years ago. But I'll have to be schooled how on to actually do this.
That's fine, I'm sure there'll be someone to help out how to use a light meter. I don't have one so sorry i couldn't help with that...But once you know how to measure, all you're gonna need is some info of your screen dimension (for screen area) and screen gain and plug those data into a formula to calculate in foot-lamberts reading which will be later converted into nits...

Bottom line is there's very little to worry about setting the player correctly by following his posts on that thread.

Found the link that you can use as a reference later:

https://www.avsforum.com/forum/24-di...projector.html

Converting fL to nits:

http://www.unitconversion.org/lumina...onversion.html

Last edited by Ximori; 01-01-2019 at 08:38 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #31442 of 32123 Old 01-01-2019, 08:42 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 25 Post(s)
Quoted: 1429 Post(s)
Liked: 755
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ximori View Post
That's fine, I'm sure there'll be someone to help out how to use a light meter. I don't have one so sorry i couldn't help with that...But once you know how to measure, all you're gonna need is some info of your screen dimension (for screen area) and screen gain and plug those data into a formula to calculate in foot-lamberts reading which will be later converted into nits...

Bottom line is there's very little to worry about setting the player correctly by following his posts on that thread
I have a light meter also and have no idea how to use it. I bought the one everyone suggested (AEMC CA813) a year ago when I was fighting dark HDR and being told it was my projector. Once I saw the beauty of SDR2020 via the UB900+Vertex (then the UB820), my dark HDR problems went away and I didn’t care anymore. I should figure it out though, it’d be nice to know how it works.
post #31443 of 32123 Old 01-01-2019, 09:09 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quoted: 583 Post(s)
Liked: 206
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dreamliner View Post
I have a light meter also and have no idea how to use it. I bought the one everyone suggested (AEMC CA813) a year ago when I was fighting dark HDR and being told it was my projector. Once I saw the beauty of SDR2020 via the UB900+Vertex (then the UB820), my dark HDR problems went away and I didn’t care anymore. I should figure it out though, it’d be nice to know how it works.
I bought an inexpensive Dr.Meter LX1330B, so I'm not out that much $. Maybe someone here can give us a step by step on how to use these meters?

JVC X750R Projector,Yamaha CX-A5200 Pre-Pro, Yamaha RX-Z11 Receiver, (Amps Only) Yamaha MX-D1 Power Amps x 2, Yamaha RX-Z1 (L&R Surround Channel Amp), Oppo BDP-103D BR, Panasonic DP-UB820 UHD, Pioneer Elite CLD-99 LD, Definitive Tech BP7000SC Mains, CLR3000 Center, BPVX Surround Sides&Backs, BPX F&R Presence, Martin Logan Abyss Front L&R Subs/Dynamo L&R Rear Surround Channel Subs, Infinity SSW-210 Center Channel Sub.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #31444 of 32123 Old 01-01-2019, 09:12 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
I bought an inexpensive Dr.Meter LX1330B, so I'm not out that much $. Maybe someone here can give us a step by step on how to use these meters?
Someone tried to explain it to me once and I got lost.
post #31445 of 32123 Old 01-02-2019, 04:44 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Quoted: 1892 Post(s)
Liked: 1291
Quote:
nothing much to it. you put the meter on Fc (foot candle) scale so can read around 0-50 ? then with a white screen playing (use a pattern from any number of test discs - i use wow disney) you then place the meter dead centre of screen facing back towards the projector. multiply the Fc reading by your screen gain. eg in my case is 1.1 to get your FL (foot lambert reading)

adjust the iris on your projector for SDR (Blu-ray/dvd) so seeing something in the order of 12-14 FL centre of screen (smpte luminance standard for digital projection)

then swap to setup for HDR. you want around 30FL middle of the screen. this equates to about 100 nits

can use this convertor for covering between FL / nits

is this what you are looking for in relation to the basics ?
Ximori, Mojito and AidenL like this.

"Technology is a drug. We can't get enough of it."

Welcome to my lounge room :)
post #31446 of 32123 Old 01-02-2019, 04:55 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:

Bottom line is there's very little to worry about setting the player correctly by following his posts on that thread.
FL = screen gain x Fc where Fc is whats measured by meter, so dont need to plug screen dimensions into a formula

Its pretty essential you have the right luminance set in my opinion and experience for both SDR or HDR

and something have to tweak every 200 hours or so I'd suggest to take care of lamp drop off as ages. not that there is a huge amount of drop off with this series of JVC but still you want to have whipped into shape and only take a few minutes otherwise screen will gradually dim over time (and not something will likely realise because so gradual) but really wont be enjoying to the best
nathan_h, AidenL and IMDave like this.

post #31447 of 32123 Old 01-02-2019, 11:50 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by alebonau View Post
FL = screen gain x Fc where Fc is whats measured by meter, so dont need to plug screen dimensions into a formula

Its pretty essential you have the right luminance set in my opinion and experience for both SDR or HDR

and something have to tweak every 200 hours or so I'd suggest to take care of lamp drop off as ages. not that there is a huge amount of drop off with this series of JVC but still you want to have whipped into shape and only take a few minutes otherwise screen will gradually dim over time (and not something will likely realise because so gradual) but really wont be enjoying to the best
Lol, thanks!
post #31448 of 32123 Old 01-02-2019, 11:54 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Someone tried to explain it to me once and I got lost.
What can i say...you're gonna keep using that light meter as long as you stick with lamps

btw are you getting any of the newer models or just wait another year or two?
post #31449 of 32123 Old 01-02-2019, 12:47 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
What can i say...you're gonna keep using that light meter as long as you stick with lamps

btw are you getting any of the newer models or just wait another year or two?
I want that NX7 projector and I can get a screaming good deal on one but I'm a bit nervous JVC will put out another replacement in 12-18 months again. I kinda liked it when you could go 24+ months having a current model projector. Truth is, my projector looks mighty fine paired with the Panasonic UB820. Enough so that I'm finally completely satisfied with my picture quality. Perhaps if I get an offer on my RS400 I'll upgrade.
Ximori and Rengozu like this.
post #31450 of 32123 Old 01-02-2019, 01:43 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
I want that NX7 projector and I can get a screaming good deal on one but I'm a bit nervous JVC will put out another replacement in 12-18 months again. I kinda liked it when you could go 24+ months having a current model projector. Truth is, my projector looks mighty fine paired with the Panasonic UB820. Enough so that I'm finally completely satisfied with my picture quality. Perhaps if I get an offer on my RS400 I'll upgrade.
Yeah i know what you mean...I'm a bit more disappointed by their CR and lumen spec not taking it up a notch, and not so much by how HDR titles will be handled as if we now have a reliable player doing that...
post #31451 of 32123 Old 01-02-2019, 02:29 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
nothing much to it. you put the meter on Fc (foot candle) scale so can read around 0-50 ? then with a white screen playing (use a pattern from any number of test discs - i use wow disney) you then place the meter dead centre of screen facing back towards the projector. multiply the Fc reading by your screen gain. eg in my case is 1.1 to get your FL (foot lambert reading)

adjust the iris on your projector for SDR (Blu-ray/dvd) so seeing something in the order of 12-14 FL centre of screen (smpte luminance standard for digital projection)

then swap to setup for HDR. you want around 30FL middle of the screen. this equates to about 100 nits

can use this convertor for covering between FL / nits

is this what you are looking for in relation to the basics ?
OK. I put in the Digital Video Essentials Blu-ray and I put up the Window 100% w/Pluge white pattern? It's just a rectangle in the center of my screen. Is that right, or do I need a white pattern that fills my entire screen?

JVC X750R Projector,Yamaha CX-A5200 Pre-Pro, Yamaha RX-Z11 Receiver, (Amps Only) Yamaha MX-D1 Power Amps x 2, Yamaha RX-Z1 (L&R Surround Channel Amp), Oppo BDP-103D BR, Panasonic DP-UB820 UHD, Pioneer Elite CLD-99 LD, Definitive Tech BP7000SC Mains, CLR3000 Center, BPVX Surround Sides&Backs, BPX F&R Presence, Martin Logan Abyss Front L&R Subs/Dynamo L&R Rear Surround Channel Subs, Infinity SSW-210 Center Channel Sub.
post #31452 of 32123 Old 01-02-2019, 03:13 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
OK. I put in the Digital Video Essentials Blu-ray and I put up the Window 100% w/Pluge white pattern? It's just a rectangle in the center of my screen. Is that right, or do I need a white pattern that fills my entire screen?
no you need a full white screen covering entire screen there should be one somewhere
nathan_h likes this.

post #31453 of 32123 Old 01-02-2019, 03:39 PM

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 235 Post(s)
Liked: 60
Quote:
no you need a full white screen covering entire screen there should be one somewhere

I did it without a full screen one. Just a small middle screen one from the built in HFCR program with my spyder 5. I asked a while back about full screen vs the small one which is in EVERY pattern program and was told it was fine. Meter was less than a foot away from screen and at a height that would JUST be below creating a shadow. Then I angled the meter up slightly as the nits were read and increased until I got to my 115 nits in HDR high lamp. Seemed to work out ok for me

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
alebonau likes this.
post #31454 of 32123 Old 01-02-2019, 03:44 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by tswire View Post
I did it without a full screen one. Just a small middle screen one from the built in HFCR program with my spyder 5. I asked a while back about full screen vs the small one which is in EVERY pattern program and was told it was fine. Meter was less than a foot away from screen and at a height that would JUST be below creating a shadow. Then I angled the meter up slightly as the nits were read and increased until I got to my 115 nits in HDR high lamp. Seemed to work out ok for me

hi we are not talking the spyder here just regular light meter, need the projector firing full screen with regular light meter I would NOT have foot away from screen. I would checking light AT the screen

the other good thing with full screen is you can also check light drop off around the screen. will typically find some variation depending on setup and you want around 12FL minimum for SDR for instance across the screen. will mean a tad higher in the middle

post #31455 of 32123 Old 01-02-2019, 03:56 PM

Quote:
hi we are not talking the spyder here just regular light meter, need the projector firing full screen with regular light meter I would NOT have foot away from screen. I would checking light AT the screen

the other good thing with full screen is you can also check light drop off around the screen. will typically find some variation depending on setup and you want around 12FL minimum for SDR for instance across the screen. will mean a tad higher in the middle

Good point. I suppose there are always different processes for different hardware but I do believe you need to watch out for the shadow created anywhere on the screen when using any meter.

alebonau likes this.
post #31456 of 32123 Old 01-02-2019, 04:22 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Don't see that as a choice in the DVE disc. I do have a WOW disc I haven't even opened yet. Guess I'll have to break into it.
alebonau likes this.

post #31457 of 32123 Old 01-02-2019, 04:27 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 43 Post(s)
Quoted: 2726 Post(s)
Liked: 1961
Quote:
JVC has put out a new batch of projects on average every 12 months since the RS-1 came out. Typically the large refresh happens every three-ish years....and these new ones like the NX7 are that first year of a (presumably) three year cycle. But year two is often the best long term bet for those of us that like to get multiple years out of a projector, imo.
post #31458 of 32123 Old 01-02-2019, 04:29 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Don't see that as a choice in the DVE disc. I do have a WOW disc I haven't even opened yet. Guess I'll have to break into it.
if have the wow disc just use that they let you scroll through red blue green white. its the colour purity test. and oh any dead pixels and such will show.. thankfully never seen any

post #31459 of 32123 Old 01-02-2019, 04:31 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Good point. I suppose there are always different processes for different hardware but I do believe you need to watch out for the shadow created anywhere on the screen when using any meter.

shadow is irrelevant when using light meter. you just hold it against the screen aiming back to projector, unless stick your arm in front if it or standing in front of it or something will be no shadow

post #31460 of 32123 Old 01-02-2019, 04:37 PM

Quote:
shadow is irrelevant when using light meter. you just hold it against the screen aiming back to projector, unless stick your arm in front if it or standing in front of it or something will be no shadow

You want nits off the screen not the projector for PROPER readings to use in SDR and HDR configurations.

post #31461 of 32123 Old 01-02-2019, 04:46 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
You want nits off the screen not the projector for PROPER readings to use in SDR and HDR configurations.

no with the light meter you measure the projector output - to get luminance AT the screen. you multiply as I mentioned fc reading by screen gain. that IS how you factor in the screen. that is all that is needed

if you are measuring a foot aways you are not getting the screen luminance AT the screen just an approximation of it. if that is sufficient for your fair enough

post #31462 of 32123 Old 01-02-2019, 05:08 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 130 Post(s)
Quoted: 4880 Post(s)
Liked: 1846
Quote:
no with the light meter you measure the projector output - to get luminance AT the screen. you multiply as I mentioned fc reading by screen gain. that IS how you factor in the screen. that is all that is needed
There’s a “pi” missing.

fL = fC x 3.14 x screen gain.

EDIT: The above was according to www.convert-me.com and a few other websites, but is apparently incorrect.

Last edited by Dominic Chan; 01-03-2019 at 07:19 AM.
post #31463 of 32123 Old 01-02-2019, 05:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dominic Chan View Post
There’s a “pi” missing.

So which has proven to be more accurate? Any ideas? Off the screen or the calculation method?

post #31464 of 32123 Old 01-02-2019, 05:24 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
So which has proven to be more accurate? Any ideas? Off the screen or the calculation method?
Off the screen gives you the actual luminance; light meter facing projector + calculation gives you the predicted luminance, with an assumed value of screen gain. The actual screen gain is almost always lower than the gain rated by the manufacturer.

I use the light meter mostly to track the lamp dimming with age, or to compare different lamps.
stevenjw likes this.
post #31465 of 32123 Old 01-02-2019, 05:26 PM

Quote:
Off the screen gives you the actual luminance; light meter facing projector + calculation gives you the predicted luminance, with an assumed value of screen gain. The actual screen gain is almost always lower than the gain rated by the manufacturer.

That’s what I thought. Hence why I am questioning why one would do anything but off the screen. Hardware (meter type)?

post #31466 of 32123 Old 01-02-2019, 05:29 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
That’s what I thought. Hence why I am questioning why one would do anything but off the screen. Hardware (meter type)?
The light meter is much more convenient. It gives you a direct reading without having to use the computer and software. The light meter can also be less expensive than a colorimeter.
post #31467 of 32123 Old 01-02-2019, 05:50 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Quote:
no with the light meter you measure the projector output - to get luminance AT the screen. you multiply as I mentioned fc reading by screen gain. that IS how you factor in the screen. that is all that is needed [IMG class=inlineimg]/forum/images/smilies/smile.gif[/IMG]
There’s a “pi” missing.

No FL= fc * screen gain

Do some googling about 5sec worth if you are unclear from our very own avs

https://www.google.com.au/amp/s/www....s.html%3famp=1

If you have a gain of 1 then your FL is you fc reading

Last edited by alebonau; 01-02-2019 at 05:56 PM.
post #31468 of 32123 Old 01-02-2019, 05:52 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:

I use the light meter mostly to track the lamp dimming with age, or to compare different lamps.
So-Do I need a white full screen pattern to do this, or will the center 100% rectangle from my DVE disc suffice? And what is my target meter reading off the screen when adjusting the manual iris adjustment for blu-ray vs 4k material? That is what I'm doing, correct? Sorry for all the rookie questions.

post #31469 of 32123 Old 01-02-2019, 06:08 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
So-Do I need a white full screen pattern to do this, or will the center 100% rectangle from my DVE disc suffice? And what is my target meter reading off the screen when adjusting the manual iris adjustment for blu-ray vs 4k material? That is what I'm doing, correct? Sorry for all the rookie questions.
please use the WOW disney you mentioned you had and use the full screen. for 4k material you want to get at least 30FL or 100 nits as posted earlier

post #31470 of 32123 Old 01-02-2019, 06:13 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Most light meters cannot be used off the screen; they will have to face the projector lens.

Calorimeters can face either the screen or the projector lens; the latter may require a diffuser.

In either case a centre rectangle will do.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply Digital Hi-End Projectors - $3,000+ USD MSRP

Tags
jvc-rs500u synch/display issue? , RS600

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page