Official JVC RS600 / RS500 (X950R / X750R - X9000 / X7000) Owners Thread - Page 1054 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 
 84691Likes

post #31591 of 31979 Old 03-03-2019, 09:54 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2096 Post(s)
Liked: 2365
Quote:
Originally Posted by swest View Post
Just starting to research Lamp replacement. My lamp has 3,038 hours on it, so it's getting close...

I saw the e-bay mention from a few months back ($275, or something like that?), but that seller has none available.

I am flabbergasted that the cost from Pureland is $436.50!! Wow, that is just ridiculous.

Anyway, any guidance here? I saw Dominic Chan's post for bare lamps, so I have PMed him to see if he has any of those available. Any other sources that anyone knows about?

Thanks,

- s.west

Sam West
My current lamp is still going strong (just over 1K hrs), from what a lot of us bought OEM new off ebay but my previous orig. bulb blew so I recently bought this one off amazon which looks to be the correct Ushio 250JK to stick in my orig housing (for $130 I figured it was worth it!).

Kevin

You only live once, but if you live it right, once is enough.
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

==> Our 4K/3D Immersive Theater
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #31592 of 31979 Old 03-03-2019, 10:00 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by rdlohr View Post
Agreed. You'll be happy to hear I just ordered 30 yards of triple black velvet.

Moderators: I'm not sure why you merged the projector mount thread with this one since it universally applies to most or at least many JVC projectors.

Rick
You know I was referring to your drop ceiling right?

Kevin

post #31593 of 31979 Old 03-03-2019, 11:29 AM

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 55 Post(s)
Liked: 23
Quote:
Originally Posted by krichter1 View Post
You know I was referring to your drop ceiling right?
Yep, I'm working on how to put velvet covered tiles in my drop ceiling. I'll likely cover some of that paneling toward the screen as well. I hate paneling anyhow but the previous homeowner apparently liked it.

Rick

JVC DLA-X590R Projector, Oppo UDP-203, Denon AVR-S940H, 125" Milliskin Silver/White Spandex AT Screen, Black Velvet on hung ceiling
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #31594 of 31979 Old 03-04-2019, 10:34 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 23 Post(s)
Quoted: 1368 Post(s)
Liked: 694
post #31595 of 31979 Old 03-04-2019, 03:45 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 682 Post(s)
Liked: 639
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dreamliner View Post
https://www.ebay.com/itm/113451713632

Thoughts? I messaged them and they said it is a genuine USHIO bulb...
I never changed a bare bulb. All I've ever heard is never touch the bulb with your fingers as the oil on your hands will cause a premature bulb failure. It looks a bit more involved then what I expected as it looks like a screw terminal on the base that may need to be connected.
Anyone do a bulb swap that can comment on the process?

Clark
post #31596 of 31979 Old 03-04-2019, 04:43 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Some further messaging revealed some very vague language. After pressing they finally said the packaging is generic since they "buy in bulk from the factory" but "the lamps say USHIO on them".

So I'm betting they are fakes.
MadMyers and Dave Vaughn like this.
post #31597 of 31979 Old 03-04-2019, 07:27 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 120 Post(s)
Quoted: 4483 Post(s)
Liked: 1678
Quote:
Originally Posted by Clark Burk View Post
I never changed a bare bulb. All I've ever heard is never touch the bulb with your fingers as the oil on your hands will cause a premature bulb failure. It looks a bit more involved then what I expected as it looks like a screw terminal on the base that may need to be connected.
Anyone do a bulb swap that can comment on the process?
With most projectors including the JVCs, even the so-called “bare bulb” includes more than the bare bulb. The bulb comes pre-mounted in a reflector assembly and the leads from the bulb are connected to terminals on the reflector assembly. You indeed have to connect the leads from the housing to these screw terminals, but if you’re reasonably careful you shouldn’t have to touch the bulb surface which is the critical part.
MadMyers likes this.
post #31598 of 31979 Old 03-04-2019, 09:05 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dominic Chan View Post
With most projectors including the JVCs, even the so-called “bare bulb” includes more than the bare bulb. The bulb comes pre-mounted in a reflector assembly and the leads from the bulb are connected to terminals on the reflector assembly. You indeed have to connect the leads from the housing to these screw terminals, but if you’re reasonably careful you shouldn’t have to touch the bulb surface which is the critical part.
I have one of the factory JVC lamps but its still brand new and sealed. I kinda want to buy a bare bulb. I'm fine with doing the work (I'd wear gloves) but finding a genuine Ushio bulb is challenging.
post #31599 of 31979 Old 03-05-2019, 07:25 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
I have one of the factory JVC lamps but its still brand new and sealed. I kinda want to buy a bare bulb. I'm fine with doing the work (I'd wear gloves) but finding a genuine Ushio bulb is challenging.

Did you not see my link to Amazon for one? I bought it and it certainly looks legit (waiting on Chad to calibrate this summer before I install it and throw 100hrs on it).

Kevin

post #31600 of 31979 Old 03-05-2019, 07:52 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Did you not see my link to Amazon for one? I bought it and it certainly looks legit (waiting on Chad to calibrate this summer before I install it and throw 100hrs on it).
I must have missed it. Could you link it again? Are the markings on the new lamp “identical” or “close” to the same as the original? Did it come in a Ushio box? Also, how good are you at spotting counterfeit products? (Not judging, just curious).
post #31601 of 31979 Old 03-05-2019, 08:05 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
My current lamp is still going strong (just over 1K hrs), from what a lot of us bought OEM new off ebay but my previous orig. bulb blew so I recently bought this one off amazon which looks to be the correct Ushio 250JK to stick in my orig housing (for $130 I figured it was worth it!).
Quote:
I must have missed it. Could you link it again? Are the markings on the new lamp “identical” or “close” to the same as the original? Did it come in a Ushio box? Also, how good are you at spotting counterfeit products? (Not judging, just curious).
Link above (click on "this one")

Not an expert at all so if it's a fake then I've been fooled I guess...

Kevin

post #31602 of 31979 Old 03-05-2019, 09:18 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Link above (click on "this one")

Not an expert at all so if it's a fake then I've been fooled I guess..
I noticed on that product page it lists the brand as “Lutema”. Which means it is probably a USHIO compatible replacement but not an actual USHIO bulb. Realistically though, I’m not really sure it even matters.... I just don’t understand why the actual USHIO one is difficult to find.
post #31603 of 31979 Old 03-06-2019, 03:29 PM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 579 Post(s)
Liked: 302
Quote:
I noticed on that product page it lists the brand as “Lutema”. Which means it is probably a USHIO compatible replacement but not an actual USHIO bulb. Realistically though, I’m not really sure it even matters.... I just don’t understand why the actual USHIO one is difficult to find.
I would like to buy one but only if original.. I'm curious what would happen if it blows? Would the projector get screwed up?

Sent from my SM-G930T using Tapatalk
post #31604 of 31979 Old 03-07-2019, 02:52 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

No... nothing would happen to the PJ (it's in an encased housing so if the bulb blows the glass shards are contained).
stevenjw and jorgebetancourt like this.

Kevin

post #31605 of 31979 Old 03-07-2019, 07:39 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 219 Post(s)
Liked: 129
Quote:
Originally Posted by jorgebetancourt View Post
I would like to buy one but only if original.. I'm curious what would happen if it blows? Would the projector get screwed up?

I purchased a "bare" bulb for my Sony, so I'm not against this... but I'll toss this out.

You don't want a bulb blowing up in there. I can create a mess and even put small abrasions inside optics. Or so I'm told.

More importantly, if you don't get the right bulb... while it may technically work... it may run hotter than the original, which can cause problems. Also, you may not get the contrast you previously had.

Again, I've done bare bulbs so I'm not against it, just be aware.
jorgebetancourt likes this.
post #31606 of 31979 Old 03-07-2019, 10:34 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quoted: 1054 Post(s)
Liked: 508
I bought a Philips bare lamp for my Sony Pearl, worked out just fine at a fraction of the cost.
The problem was the original housing was so brittle from heat, it was almost impossible to re-use it, but I did make it work.

Shortly after I sold it on eBay, the lamp stopped working, something went wrong with the housing, I ended up knocking off a 100 bucks from the sale when the seller got a new housing from the Sony store.
I went to great lengths to keep my perfect eBay score.

I think these bare lamps are like car parts, you can buy a genuine Ford fuel pump from around 400 to 600 bucks and it will last for a very long time, or you can buy a cheap one for a 100 bucks and it may last less then a year or longer, there's no quality control on the cheap stuff.
If something goes wrong with the Ford part, the defect can be traced back to where the problem started, that's what makes it so expensive and it's this quality control why the Ford stuff very rarely fails.
All the parts are tested along the way to make sure they function as they are supposed too and it's all that testing is what makes it reliable, if a problem shows up, then it's caught before it gets to the public.

I believe the same can be said for these bare lamps.

Ushio may fill an order for JVC and purchase 10,000 lamps and in fact JVC more then likely has Ushio build the housings too, as with the genuine Ford parts, they are tested more extensively to function to a higher standard before the JVC logo is put on them, weather that is on the box, or housing or both.
So when one buys a relatively inexpensive lamp, it may be genuine, but I believe that quality control is lost.

I bought a lamp for my old Panasonic 4000 from one of these on-line retailers that sold only lamps, some with housings, some with out.
The bulb was genuine, so the logo on the bulb said, but the housing was made out of this cheaper plastic that smelled like burning Styrofoam.
When I confronted the place where I bought the lamp from, they said "the smell will go away", it never did, so I ended up reusing my old housing.
post #31607 of 31979 Old 03-08-2019, 05:52 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by JeffR1 View Post
I bought a Philips bare lamp for my Sony Pearl, worked out just fine at a fraction of the cost.

The problem was the original housing was so brittle from heat, it was almost impossible to re-use it, but I did make it work.

Shortly after I sold it on eBay, the lamp stopped working, something went wrong with the housing, I ended up knocking off a 100 bucks from the sale when the seller got a new housing from the Sony store.

I went to great lengths to keep my perfect eBay score.

I think these bare lamps are like car parts, you can buy a genuine Ford fuel pump from around 400 to 600 bucks and it will last for a very long time, or you can buy a cheap one for a 100 bucks and it may last less then a year or longer, there's no quality control on the cheap stuff.

If something goes wrong with the Ford part, the defect can be traced back to where the problem started, that's what makes it so expensive and it's this quality control why the Ford stuff very rarely fails.

All the parts are tested along the way to make sure they function as they are supposed too and it's all that testing is what makes it reliable, if a problem shows up, then it's caught before it gets to the public.

I believe the same can be said for these bare lamps.

Ushio may fill an order for JVC and purchase 10,000 lamps and in fact JVC more then likely has Ushio build the housings too, as with the genuine Ford parts, they are tested more extensively to function to a higher standard before the JVC logo is put on them, weather that is on the box, or housing or both.

So when one buys a relatively inexpensive lamp, it may be genuine, but I believe that quality control is lost.

I bought a lamp for my old Panasonic 4000 from one of these on-line retailers that sold only lamps, some with housings, some with out.

The bulb was genuine, so the logo on the bulb said, but the housing was made out of this cheaper plastic that smelled like burning Styrofoam.

When I confronted the place where I bought the lamp from, they said "the smell will go away", it never did, so I ended up reusing my old housing.
So if you wanted to buy one today for JVC RS which one would you say is the safest bet..

Ushio?

post #31608 of 31979 Old 03-08-2019, 09:07 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quoted: 1054 Post(s)
Liked: 508
Quote:
So if you wanted to buy one today for JVC RS which one would you say is the safest bet..

Ushio?

Probably Ushio...

Just out of curiosity I checked what was available for my Sony 300es and there are no factory lamps left, or none that I could find.
The cost of a factory OEM was around 699.00 Canadian.
Some unbranded ones were as cheap as 50 bucks all the way up to almost a grand with 200 dollars shipping on eBay.
Sellers on eBay are full of Sh*t sometimes living in a dream world.
post #31609 of 31979 Old 03-08-2019, 09:10 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:

Ushio?
The bulbs used in the JVC PK-L2615U lamp assembly are Ushio NHSA250JK.
post #31610 of 31979 Old 03-08-2019, 10:12 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 112 Post(s)
Liked: 44
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dominic Chan View Post
The bulbs used in the JVC PK-L2615U lamp assembly are Ushio NHSA250JK.

Really strange that entering NHSA250JK in a Google search results in no hits at all!

JVC RS500 - Stewart Firehawk - Lumagen Radiance Pro - Anthem D2V - Revel Salon speakers - SV Sound SB13 Ultra sub - Tivo/Nvidia Shield TV/Panasonic UB900

post #31611 of 31979 Old 03-08-2019, 11:16 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

I’m wondering how many hours I can go safely on this lamp. The “replace lamp” comes up automatically at 3400 hours but doesn’t JVC say 4000 or 5000 hours? I think the image looks just fine and am willing to keep going on this lamp but do not want to run into issues...
post #31612 of 31979 Old 03-08-2019, 11:21 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:
I’m wondering how many hours I can go safely on this lamp. The “replace lamp” comes up automatically at 3400 hours but doesn’t JVC say 4000 or 5000 hours? I think the image looks just fine and am willing to keep going on this lamp but do not want to run into issues...
Man I would just change it.. if it blows up you can be in trouble.

post #31613 of 31979 Old 03-08-2019, 11:33 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Man I would just change it.. if it blows up you can be in trouble.
Yeah but the same people who decided 3400 hours to introduce a replace lamp pop up are also the ones selling the lamps...
post #31614 of 31979 Old 03-08-2019, 11:39 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Yeah but the same people who decided 3400 hours to introduce a replace lamp pop up are also the ones selling the lamps...
I hear you but your projector cost so much more. Its worth the investment at this point.

post #31615 of 31979 Old 03-08-2019, 12:51 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by sjschaff View Post
Really strange that entering NHSA250JK in a Google search results in no hits at all!
Sorry for the typo. It’s supposed to be NSHA250JK.
If you look at your lamp it should show that.
post #31616 of 31979 Old 03-08-2019, 01:35 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 112 Post(s)
Liked: 44
Thanks. I don't have access to the lamp at this time. At least now I can order up a bare bulb

JVC RS500 - Stewart Firehawk - Lumagen Radiance Pro - Anthem D2V - Revel Salon speakers - SV Sound SB13 Ultra sub - Tivo/Nvidia Shield TV/Panasonic UB900

post #31617 of 31979 Old 03-08-2019, 02:31 PM
AVS Forum Addicted Member

Mentioned: 159 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 5235 Post(s)
Liked: 5486
bulb swap photos

Swapping in the spare lamp is straight forward and only takes about 20 minutes

Some photos below of the process.

Spoiler!

I didn't realize the current lamp housing also has the 'flapper' they added in the RS40/45/55 series to try and prevent the premature lamp dimming.

Those lamps were pretty bad for the time period. I don't think it helped those models much, the air outlet on the those early models were smaller than on the 2012+ RS46 and newer models. my guess is engineering figured this out eventually and increased the size + used a larger squirrel cage fan to increase airflow to the lamp.

These 2015+ lamps have been great performers so far. My original lamp is near 2,000 hours and still working great.

Spoiler!
MadMyers and markswift2003 like this.
post #31618 of 31979 Old 03-08-2019, 10:13 PM

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quoted: 137 Post(s)
Liked: 158
Quote:
Originally Posted by zombie10k View Post
Swapping in the spare lamp is straight forward and only takes about 20 minutes

Some photos below of the process.

Spoiler!

I didn't realize the current lamp housing also has the 'flapper' they added in the RS40/45/55 series to try and prevent the premature lamp dimming.

Spoiler!

Those lamps were pretty bad for the time period. I don't think it helped those models much, the air outlet on the those early models were smaller than on the 2012+ RS46 and newer models. my guess is engineering figured this out eventually and increased the size + used a larger squirrel cage fan to increase airflow to the lamp.

These 2015+ lamps have been great performers so far. My original lamp is near 2,000 hours and still working great.

Spoiler!
Thanks very much @zombie10k . I have a bare bulb ready for installation when required, so I really appreciate the photos.
Great work as always.
Has your replacement RS2000 arrived yet?
post #31619 of 31979 Old 03-10-2019, 06:01 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 45 Post(s)
Quoted: 1168 Post(s)
Liked: 986
Chad B was at my place yesterday, primarily for a full re-calibration of my audio since I had gotten new LCR speakers for Christmas, but while he was here he helped me tweak my UB820.

I must say that he brought some new life to my RS500. My video was pretty good before, but I am very happy with 4K playback now. Since I prefer to keep my unit in low lamp mode to cut down on the fan noise, I know have plenty of brightness for my playback needs!

Now I am going to go back and replay several recently watched movies to see the improvements.

As much as I would like to upgrade to a NX7, I am going to stick with my RS500 for as long as a I can.

Thanks again @Chad B !

OH.... My audio is fantastic as well! lol
krichter1, Chad B and skypop like this.
post #31620 of 31979 Old 03-10-2019, 09:29 AM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 366 Post(s)
Liked: 251
Quote:
Originally Posted by COACH2369 View Post
Chad B was at my place yesterday, primarily for a full re-calibration of my audio since I had gotten new LCR speakers for Christmas, but while he was here he helped me tweak my UB820.

I must say that he brought some new life to my RS500. My video was pretty good before, but I am very happy with 4K playback now. Since I prefer to keep my unit in low lamp mode to cut down on the fan noise, I know have plenty of brightness for my playback needs!

Now I am going to go back and replay several recently watched movies to see the improvements.

As much as I would like to upgrade to a NX7, I am going to stick with my RS500 for as long as a I can.

Thanks again @Chad B !

OH.... My audio is fantastic as well! lol
Congrats! I have an appointment with @chadb coming soon also,I'm in the same boat as you,would love to get the RS2000 but I'm going to wait one more year. I have a RS600 and will be picking up the UB820 before he gets here.

2 Channel: Fi 2A3 mono's,Hovland HP100,Technics SP10MK2/SME/Benz....HT:126" Seymour AT Screen,JBL Studio 590's for LCR, Side and Rear Surrounds. Jbl SCS8'S for Fr Heights, and Rear Heights,2 Epik Empire Subs,2 Behringer B1200D Midbass Subs,Marantz 7702MK2,Proceed Amp-5,Outlaw 7125,Panasonic UB820 ,Toshiba HD35,JVC RS600. Black Velvet.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply Digital Hi-End Projectors - $3,000+ USD MSRP

Tags
jvc-rs500u synch/display issue? , RS600

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page