Official JVC RS600 / RS500 (X950R / X750R - X9000 / X7000) Owners Thread - Page 1055 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 
 84654Likes
Reply
 
Thread Tools
post #31621 of 31893 Old 03-10-2019, 09:47 AM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
COACH2369's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2004
Location: Knoxville, TN
Posts: 3,403
Mentioned: 45 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1164 Post(s)
Liked: 984
Quote:
Originally Posted by skypop View Post
Congrats! I have an appointment with @chadb coming soon also,I'm in the same boat as you,would love to get the RS2000 but I'm going to wait one more year. I have a RS600 and will be picking up the UB820 before he gets here.
You will definitely be happy after he arrives...especially after picking up the UB820!

I considered grabbing the UB9000, since it has another setting for projectors that the UB820 doesn't have plus it will have some extra options if I ever go with a RS2000.....but after yesterday, I don't see a reason to grab it anytime soon.
skypop and Rengozu like this.
COACH2369 is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #31622 of 31893 Old 03-10-2019, 10:00 AM
Advanced Member
 
skypop's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2007
Location: Long Island N.Y.
Posts: 831
Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 350 Post(s)
Liked: 230
Quote:
Originally Posted by COACH2369 View Post
You will definitely be happy after he arrives...especially after picking up the UB820!

I considered grabbing the UB9000, since it has another setting for projectors that the UB820 doesn't have plus it will have some extra options if I ever go with a RS2000.....but after yesterday, I don't see a reason to grab it anytime soon.
Sounds great! Can't wait to see the difference.

2 Channel: Fi 2A3 mono's,Hovland HP100,Technics SP10MK2/SME/Benz....HT:126" Seymour AT Screen,JBL Studio 590's for LCR, Side and Rear Surrounds. Jbl SCS8'S for Fr Heights, and Rear Heights,2 Epik Empire Subs,2 Behringer B1200D Midbass Subs,Marantz 7702MK2,Proceed Amp-5,Outlaw 7125,Panasonic UB820 ,Toshiba HD35,JVC RS600. Black Velvet.
skypop is offline  
post #31623 of 31893 Old 03-10-2019, 11:27 AM
AVS Forum Addicted Member
 
zombie10k's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Posts: 12,693
Mentioned: 158 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 5219 Post(s)
Liked: 5448
Quote:
Originally Posted by IMDave View Post
Thanks very much @zombie10k . I have a bare bulb ready for installation when required, so I really appreciate the photos.
Great work as always.
Has your replacement RS2000 arrived yet?
Hi, no problem on photos. i've had those for a while and wanted to post them for others to see how straight forward it is.

the 2nd RS2000 arrived and unfortunately had some issues as well. i'm holding off for a bit and enjoying the RS600 for a while longer. With a fresh lamp & recent calibration, it looks excellent with UHD content.

We watched Aquaman UHD on Vudu last night and it looked amazing. This movie was no doubt filmed with 3D in mind and looking forward to the 3D BD release on 3/26. Soundtrack was ridiculous as well (in a good way). I recently moved my dual 18"s behind my seats and the bass was outstanding throughout the entire movie.


warning - it's a VAR movie - bouncing back and forth between scope and 16:9. some will hate this but I personally enjoyed it..
Toe, IMDave and skypop like this.
zombie10k is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #31624 of 31893 Old 03-10-2019, 12:02 PM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
StevenC56's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2006
Posts: 2,450
Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 561 Post(s)
Liked: 201
Quote:
=warning - it's a VAR movie - bouncing back and forth between scope and 16:9. some will hate this but I personally enjoyed it..
As s scope screen user these VAR movies are a pain. I wish they would give you a choice between the 2.

JVC X750R Projector,Yamaha CX-A5200 Pre-Pro, Yamaha RX-Z11 Receiver, (Amps Only) Yamaha MX-D1 Power Amps x 2, Yamaha RX-Z1 (L&R Surround Channel Amp), Oppo BDP-103D BR, Panasonic DP-UB820 UHD, Pioneer Elite CLD-99 LD, Definitive Tech BP7000SC Mains, CLR3000 Center, BPVX Surround Sides&Backs, BPX F&R Presence, Martin Logan Abyss Front L&R Subs/Dynamo L&R Rear Surround Channel Subs, Infinity SSW-210 Center Channel Sub.
StevenC56 is offline  
post #31625 of 31893 Old 03-10-2019, 12:32 PM
AVS Forum Addicted Member
 
zombie10k's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Posts: 12,693
Mentioned: 158 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 5219 Post(s)
Liked: 5448
Quote:
Originally Posted by StevenC56 View Post
As s scope screen user these VAR movies are a pain. I wish they would give you a choice between the 2.
I had my velvet masks on for the beginning of the movie until one of my guests saw some highlights on the velvet so we stopped and quickly took them off after realizing it was VAR.

The imax scenes did look excellent, especially all the under water scenes. I ended up liking the movie more than I was expecting... far more entertaining than justice league or the other DC standalone movies.
zombie10k is offline  
post #31626 of 31893 Old 03-10-2019, 01:06 PM
Senior Member
 
Rengozu's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2016
Location: TN
Posts: 369
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 198 Post(s)
Liked: 266
Quote:
Originally Posted by COACH2369 View Post
You will definitely be happy after he arrives...especially after picking up the UB820!

I considered grabbing the UB9000, since it has another setting for projectors that the UB820 doesn't have plus it will have some extra options if I ever go with a RS2000.....but after yesterday, I don't see a reason to grab it anytime soon.
Ended up taking the 9000 plunge for the extra options myself, so guess I'll see soon enough when it arrives later this month. Whether or not it was worth paying double the 820 remains to be seen, but if it improves my image any I have a hard time seeing any projector upgrades for me for quite a while as I'm still happy with the 600. Probably easier for me to say since I haven't really seen what the newer ones can do, but it would take a great price with a decent enough trade-in/cash out on my old one to make me jump.

Also hoping the 9000 will be easy enough to fit right in with all my current settings easy enough, as it hasn't been that long since Chad was here to calibrate. (and he did give me a 2020 setting should I end up going that route)
If anyone here has any JVC setup advice for the 820 or 9000, feel free to shoot me some pointers on settings.

JMAX Home Theatre
Spoiler!
Rengozu is offline  
post #31627 of 31893 Old 03-10-2019, 01:55 PM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
GPBURNS's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2003
Location: Halifax, Nova Scotia
Posts: 1,089
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 370 Post(s)
Liked: 655
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dominic Chan View Post
I got a few requests via PM to post my “bright curves”.
Just been checking out various Javs curves and really like results --would like to try yours - can I use the same procedure - file type appears different ? - thxs

15400 Watts of Atmos Seaton Power -Quad SubMersived - JVC N7
GPBURNS is offline  
post #31628 of 31893 Old 03-10-2019, 02:24 PM
Advanced Member
 
nohjy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2002
Location: Pennsylvania
Posts: 798
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 77 Post(s)
Liked: 64
Quote:
Originally Posted by zombie10k View Post
Hi, no problem on photos. i've had those for a while and wanted to post them for others to see how straight forward it is.

the 2nd RS2000 arrived and unfortunately had some issues as well. i'm holding off for a bit and enjoying the RS600 for a while longer. With a fresh lamp & recent calibration, it looks excellent with UHD content.

We watched Aquaman UHD on Vudu last night and it looked amazing. This movie was no doubt filmed with 3D in mind and looking forward to the 3D BD release on 3/26. Soundtrack was ridiculous as well (in a good way). I recently moved my dual 18"s behind my seats and the bass was outstanding throughout the entire movie.


warning - it's a VAR movie - bouncing back and forth between scope and 16:9. some will hate this but I personally enjoyed it..

Zombie,

Could you offer some thoughts on the RS2000 vs. The RS600? I own an RS600 as well and I am considering upgrading. I want to know how significant the improvements are. I am considering waiting until the next iteration because of all of the QC issues. Unfortunately, I cant see one in my area.

John
nohjy is online now  
post #31629 of 31893 Old 03-10-2019, 03:13 PM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2014
Location: Mississauga, ON, Canada
Posts: 6,288
Mentioned: 118 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 4364 Post(s)
Liked: 1605
Quote:
Originally Posted by GPBURNS View Post
Just been checking out various Javs curves and really like results --would like to try yours - can I use the same procedure - file type appears different ? - thxs
The biggest difference with my curves (other than the nits) is that I’ve applied “black compensation” which helps with some setups.

The files are in jgd format and need to be loaded using JVC autocal software instead of Arve’s Tool.
nathan_h likes this.
Dominic Chan is online now  
post #31630 of 31893 Old 03-10-2019, 03:32 PM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
GPBURNS's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2003
Location: Halifax, Nova Scotia
Posts: 1,089
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 370 Post(s)
Liked: 655
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dominic Chan View Post
The biggest difference with my curves (other than the nits) is that I’ve applied “black compensation” which helps with some setups.

The files are in jgd format and need to be loaded using JVC autocal software instead of Arve’s Tool.
Ok - Thxs - will check out the Jvc software

15400 Watts of Atmos Seaton Power -Quad SubMersived - JVC N7
GPBURNS is offline  
post #31631 of 31893 Old 03-10-2019, 05:10 PM
AVS Forum Addicted Member
 
zombie10k's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Posts: 12,693
Mentioned: 158 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 5219 Post(s)
Liked: 5448
Quote:
Originally Posted by nohjy View Post
Zombie,

Could you offer some thoughts on the RS2000 vs. The RS600? I own an RS600 as well and I am considering upgrading. I want to know how significant the improvements are. I am considering waiting until the next iteration because of all of the QC issues. Unfortunately, I cant see one in my area.

John
Hi, sure no problem, these are just some high level observations, not a full deep dive.

* Sync times are much faster that the current e-shift models.

* Brightness - I installed a new lamp into the RS600 for the A/B viewing to give it a fair shot. They were both similar in low / high lamp. Same thing with the noise level. both very quiet in low lamp but definitely aware of their presence in high lamp. My projectors are 1-2 feet behind my seats for max gain on the HP so it's a bit of an odd setup to have the projectors that close to seating distance.

* Auto Tone Mapping - it's very good for their first round. I have a pair of great custom curves I use and compared several reference titles with the JVC ATM / custom curves / Panasonic 820 ATM . All looked very good and more similar than not in comparison to one another. none of the 3 will fully compare to MadVR dynamic ATM but that's a different topic.

* 2D 1080P - it's been mentioned before that the scaling isn't great if you feed it straight 1080P content. it's best to let the player scale in this case.

* 3D 1080P - 3D looks very good, similar overall to the current models. I thought the brightness was nearly the same between the 2 projectors, it would be hard to tell them apart. great x-talk control, same as the RS600. The 48hz per eye flicker is still there, no changes in this area.

* UHD content - using several reference titles like Lucy and Mad Max, they look great on both projectors from seating distance. ~14 feet from the 142" 16:9. When you get close up, you can see the RS2000 image is more steady than the e-shift image which is nice. Pixel peeping during high detail scenes, I can see more detail in the image which is to be expected. This didn't translate to a major difference though at seating distance. I felt the same way about the Sony VW1100 which had an excellent sharp lens. For PC content and video games, the difference is certainly more noticeable. I don't game in my HT room but had to bring my 9900K 5GHz 1080TI monster into the HT to check out some games and they indeed looked excellent in native UHD.

* Contrast - Without the DI, they appear overall similar but I think the RS600 has an advantage with the lower APL scenes. With the DI, the RS600 provides a very convincing FTB but on the RS2000 it was dark greyish field lighting up the screen in extended FTB as seen in a number of the Mad Max scenes. This is because the RS600 DI will close down quite a bit more than the RS2000. I'm hoping they can provide an option to have this clamped down more. The yellowing scenario has been discussed for a while and JVC is aware of the issue. hopefully resolved with an upcoming firmware update. Otherwise the DI was well behaved and did a nice job overall.


I think the RS600 was ahead of it's time when we compare it to the other projectors from the time period. It had the huge increase in brightness over the previous models, improvements with e-shift (I like e-shift 4 better than 5), full P3 with minimal light loss (VW1100 was near 40%!), ability to run the full 18GB HDMI bandwidth for 4K/60 HDR, etc. It was crippled with the Gamma D which is still a shame, one of the generic curves available today could have been uploaded in a firmware update. The virtue though is that JVC created the excellent auto-cal software that allows for uploading the custom curves and allows for quick fixes for gamma droop if needed. I still use the HDFury to keep the projector from switching to Gamma D, many thanks to @Manni01 and @HDfury for all the work they did with the JVC's.

If someone didn't have a projector today, the new series makes a lot of sense. it's the natural progression and is at the price point of the RS600 when it was released. Upgrading value is really up to the folks deciding and what their priorities are. My RS600 is a very nice copy and still looks excellent in my setup. In about 1.5 years I hope to see a laser in the RS2000 chassis. It's huge compared to the RS600 so I have to imagine they planned to make space for a laser + cooling system in a future model.



ps. bonus points for anyone that recognizes that BD on the left corner.
GGA, krichter1, Toe and 6 others like this.
zombie10k is offline  
post #31632 of 31893 Old 03-10-2019, 05:22 PM
Advanced Member
 
nohjy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2002
Location: Pennsylvania
Posts: 798
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 77 Post(s)
Liked: 64
Quote:
Originally Posted by zombie10k View Post
Hi, sure no problem, these are just some high level observations, not a full deep dive.

* Sync times are much faster that the current e-shift models.

* Brightness - I installed a new lamp into the RS600 for the A/B viewing to give it a fair shot. They were both similar in low / high lamp. Same thing with the noise level. both very quiet in low lamp but definitely aware of their presence in high lamp. My projectors are 1-2 feet behind my seats for max gain on the HP so it's a bit of an odd setup to have the projectors that close to seating distance.

* Auto Tone Mapping - it's very good for their first round. I have a pair of great custom curves I use and compared several reference titles with the JVC ATM / custom curves / Panasonic 820 ATM . All looked very good and more similar than not in comparison to one another. none of the 3 will fully compare to MadVR dynamic ATM but that's a different topic.

* 2D 1080P - it's been mentioned before that the scaling isn't great if you feed it straight 1080P content. it's best to let the player scale in this case.

* 3D 1080P - 3D looks very good, similar overall to the current models. I thought the brightness was nearly the same between the 2 projectors, it would be hard to tell them apart. great x-talk control, same as the RS600. The 48hz per eye flicker is still there, no changes in this area.

* UHD content - using several reference titles like Lucy and Mad Max, they look great on both projectors from seating distance. ~14 feet from the 142" 16:9. When you get close up, you can see the RS2000 image is more steady than the e-shift image which is nice. Pixel peeping during high detail scenes, I can see more detail in the image which is to be expected. This didn't translate to a major difference though at seating distance. I felt the same way about the Sony VW1100 which had an excellent sharp lens. For PC content and video games, the difference is certainly more noticeable. I don't game in my HT room but had to bring my 9900K 5GHz 1080TI monster into the HT to check out some games and they indeed looked excellent in native UHD.

* Contrast - Without the DI, they appear overall similar but I think the RS600 has an advantage with the lower APL scenes. With the DI, the RS600 provides a very convincing FTB but on the RS2000 it was dark greyish field lighting up the screen in extended FTB as seen in a number of the Mad Max scenes. This is because the RS600 DI will close down quite a bit more than the RS2000. I'm hoping they can provide an option to have this clamped down more. The yellowing scenario has been discussed for a while and JVC is aware of the issue. hopefully resolved with an upcoming firmware update. Otherwise the DI was well behaved and did a nice job overall.


I think the RS600 was ahead of it's time when we compare it to the other projectors from the time period. It had the huge increase in brightness over the previous models, improvements with e-shift (I like e-shift 4 better than 5), full P3 with minimal light loss (VW1100 was near 40%!), ability to run the full 18GB HDMI bandwidth for 4K/60 HDR, etc. It was crippled with the Gamma D which is still a shame, one of the generic curves available today could have been uploaded in a firmware update. The virtue though is that JVC created the excellent auto-cal software that allows for uploading the custom curves and allows for quick fixes for gamma droop if needed. I still use the HDFury to keep the projector from switching to Gamma D, many thanks to @Manni01 and @HDfury for all the work they did with the JVC's.

If someone didn't have a projector today, the new series makes a lot of sense. it's the natural progression and is at the price point of the RS600 when it was released. Upgrading value is really up to the folks deciding and what their priorities are. My RS600 is a very nice copy and still looks excellent in my setup. In about 1.5 years I hope to see a laser in the RS2000 chassis. It's huge compared to the RS600 so I have to imagine they planned to make space for a laser + cooling system in a future model.



ps. bonus points for anyone that recognizes that BD on the left corner.
Many, many thanks Zombie! That is a great summary. You didn't by any chance take any comparison photos of 4K content, did you? I really want to see if there are significant differences in resolution. As to your bonus question, the Blu-ray is Iron Maiden's Flight 666.
nohjy is online now  
post #31633 of 31893 Old 03-10-2019, 05:29 PM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
COACH2369's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2004
Location: Knoxville, TN
Posts: 3,403
Mentioned: 45 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1164 Post(s)
Liked: 984
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rengozu View Post
Ended up taking the 9000 plunge for the extra options myself, so guess I'll see soon enough when it arrives later this month. Whether or not it was worth paying double the 820 remains to be seen, but if it improves my image any I have a hard time seeing any projector upgrades for me for quite a while as I'm still happy with the 600. Probably easier for me to say since I haven't really seen what the newer ones can do, but it would take a great price with a decent enough trade-in/cash out on my old one to make me jump.

Also hoping the 9000 will be easy enough to fit right in with all my current settings easy enough, as it hasn't been that long since Chad was here to calibrate. (and he did give me a 2020 setting should I end up going that route)
If anyone here has any JVC setup advice for the 820 or 9000, feel free to shoot me some pointers on settings.
Shoot me a PM when you have a chance and I will share with you what he did.
COACH2369 is offline  
post #31634 of 31893 Old 03-10-2019, 05:34 PM
AVS Forum Addicted Member
 
zombie10k's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Posts: 12,693
Mentioned: 158 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 5219 Post(s)
Liked: 5448
Quote:
Originally Posted by nohjy View Post
Many, many thanks Zombie! That is a great summary. You didn't by any chance take any comparison photos of 4K content, did you? I really want to see if there are significant differences in resolution. As to your bonus question, the Blu-ray is Iron Maiden's Flight 666.
Hi, I tried this a few years ago with the VW1100 and RS600. It was difficult to articulate the details with the still photos. I have a Nikon D90 SLR from many moons ago with a good lens but wasn't really satisfied with the captured results vs. reality. maybe @Javs can grab some photos if he gets a chance with one of the new models.

now it's time to go play track 2 Aces High for the neighborhood to hear..
zombie10k is offline  
post #31635 of 31893 Old 03-10-2019, 05:45 PM
Advanced Member
 
nohjy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2002
Location: Pennsylvania
Posts: 798
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 77 Post(s)
Liked: 64
Quote:
Originally Posted by zombie10k View Post
Hi, I tried this a few years ago with the VW1100 and RS600. It was difficult to articulate the details with the still photos. I have a Nikon D90 SLR from many moons ago with a good lens but wasn't really satisfied with the captured results vs. reality. maybe @Javs can grab some photos if he gets a chance with one of the new models.

now it's time to go play track 2 Aces High for the neighborhood to hear..
I have been a metal guy most of my life, but only recently began to really appreciate Iron Maiden. At times, the musicianship in that band is virtually unparalleled. The guitar solo in Wasted Time is among my all time favorites (I am a guitar player as well). Enjoy! Up the irons!!
nohjy is online now  
post #31636 of 31893 Old 03-11-2019, 02:30 AM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
Dreamliner's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2009
Location: Minnesota
Posts: 2,071
Mentioned: 21 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1348 Post(s)
Liked: 681
Quote:
Originally Posted by zombie10k View Post
Hi, sure no problem, these are just some high level observations, not a full deep dive.
Spoiler!
It kind of sounds like your thoughts are to hang on to the dialed-in 00 projectors for awhile longer. That the RS2000 is nice but not necessarily worth the cost of upgrade... Also interesting you've had two defective units already. What is wrong with them?
Dreamliner is offline  
post #31637 of 31893 Old 03-11-2019, 10:47 AM
Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2015
Posts: 27
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 22 Post(s)
Liked: 2
My RS-500 stopped working this weekend after an electrical storm where two homes nearby were hit. Originally, the red warning led continuously flashed. I unplugged the unit and plugged back in, same result. unplugged again and cleaned the filter, same result. unplugged and left for two days. This time the warning lamp is still flashing but now the stand by led and the lamp led are also flashing 5 times then repeating. Any ideas before I pack it up and send off to repair???? I didn't receive any lamp warning the night before it stopped working and the unit was not operating during the storm. I would estimate the lamp to have app 1200-1600 hours.
sablack2 is offline  
post #31638 of 31893 Old 03-11-2019, 11:13 AM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
jh901's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2010
Location: PITTSBURGH
Posts: 1,345
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 712 Post(s)
Liked: 263
Quote:
Originally Posted by COACH2369 View Post
Chad B was at my place yesterday, primarily for a full re-calibration of my audio since I had gotten new LCR speakers for Christmas, but while he was here he helped me tweak my UB820.

I must say that he brought some new life to my RS500. My video was pretty good before, but I am very happy with 4K playback now. Since I prefer to keep my unit in low lamp mode to cut down on the fan noise, I know have plenty of brightness for my playback needs!

Does the UB820 tone mapping replace ChadB's custom HDR curves? I figure it does. I think he'd been performing BT.1886 gamma rather than a power gamma, but isn't the tone mapping intended to work with power gamma?

HT: Panasonic DP-UB820 | JVC RS600 | 106" x 45" Stewart ST 100 | Cary Audio Cinema 12 | NAD M27 | Elac Uni-Fi UF5, UC5, Debut F5/B6; Focal CMS Sub
STEREO: [Shunyata Denali] Playback Designs MPS-5 (fully upgraded) | Cary Audio SLP-05 tube line level | Cary Audio SA-200.2 ES | Focal Diablo Utopia III DEN: 60" Panasonic VT60
jh901 is offline  
post #31639 of 31893 Old 03-11-2019, 11:19 AM
Advanced Member
 
996911's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Location: NC
Posts: 508
Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 218 Post(s)
Liked: 164
Quick question regarding CALIBRATION and LAMP LIFE.

I have Chad coming next week for calibration of the RS600. He calibrated it almost 2 years ago when the RS600 was just a few months old. What a difference his calibration made! Now I am up to 1700 hours on the lamp. I also have a brand new backup lamp ready to go.

So.........

Do I have Chad calibrate the RS600 as it sits with the 1700 hour bulb or should the new bulb be in the RS600?

Cheers,
Ray
996911 is offline  
post #31640 of 31893 Old 03-11-2019, 02:00 PM
AVS Forum Addicted Member
 
zombie10k's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Posts: 12,693
Mentioned: 158 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 5219 Post(s)
Liked: 5448
Quote:
Originally Posted by sablack2 View Post
My RS-500 stopped working this weekend after an electrical storm where two homes nearby were hit. Originally, the red warning led continuously flashed. I unplugged the unit and plugged back in, same result. unplugged again and cleaned the filter, same result. unplugged and left for two days. This time the warning lamp is still flashing but now the stand by led and the lamp led are also flashing 5 times then repeating. Any ideas before I pack it up and send off to repair???? I didn't receive any lamp warning the night before it stopped working and the unit was not operating during the storm. I would estimate the lamp to have app 1200-1600 hours.
the only thing you can really try is pulling out the lamp and re-seating it. but it's more likely something happened to one of the electronic components in the projector. I am fanatical about this and keep my AV equipment physically unplugged from the wall unless i'm going to use it based on fear factor of this happening..

not sure if you have this information already, Mendtronix is the official repair facility for JVC, you can start the process from the link below. keep us posted

https://mendtronix.com/projector-repair/
zombie10k is offline  
post #31641 of 31893 Old 03-11-2019, 02:10 PM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
Dreamliner's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2009
Location: Minnesota
Posts: 2,071
Mentioned: 21 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1348 Post(s)
Liked: 681
Quote:
Originally Posted by sablack2 View Post
My RS-500 stopped working this weekend after an electrical storm where two homes nearby were hit. Originally, the red warning led continuously flashed. I unplugged the unit and plugged back in, same result. unplugged again and cleaned the filter, same result. unplugged and left for two days. This time the warning lamp is still flashing but now the stand by led and the lamp led are also flashing 5 times then repeating. Any ideas before I pack it up and send off to repair???? I didn't receive any lamp warning the night before it stopped working and the unit was not operating during the storm. I would estimate the lamp to have app 1200-1600 hours.
That sucks. I wonder if you can tell if the lamp is broken or not by looking at it. Was the projector on and shut off when this happened? Hopefully someone will chime in with what 5 flashes means, perhaps if you email JVC they will tell you. Either way, you'll probably have to send it in.

This might be a good time to remind everyone to put their entire system on a quality surge protector (SurgeX) and also a dedicated battery backup (APC, Cyberpower, etc). I have both for my entire system. The last power outage was during the series finale of Dexter (yuck) and I was able to finish the episode on battery power and properly shut everything down.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jh901 View Post
Does the UB820 tone mapping replace ChadB's custom HDR curves? I figure it does. I think he'd been performing BT.1886 gamma rather than a power gamma, but isn't the tone mapping intended to work with power gamma?
UB820 in SDR/BT2020 mode uses Gamma 2.4. Calibration will still adjust for gamma droop and colors.

Quote:
Originally Posted by 996911 View Post
Do I have Chad calibrate the RS600 as it sits with the 1700 hour bulb or should the new bulb be in the RS600?
Doesn't really matter either way. Based on your usage, in 2 years from now you'll need a new lamp anyway and if you plan to have Chad out every 2 years, he'll be right on time. The replace lamp indicator comes on at 3400 hours, so you can use that to gauge your usage. Projectors look best on a fresh lamp, perhaps it might be best he calibrates your new lamp then you have a 1700 hour lamp as a spare and can enjoy the benefits of the fresh lamp.
namirkhan and jh901 like this.
Dreamliner is offline  
post #31642 of 31893 Old 03-11-2019, 03:51 PM
Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2015
Posts: 27
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 22 Post(s)
Liked: 2
Quote:
Originally Posted by zombie10k View Post
the only thing you can really try is pulling out the lamp and re-seating it. but it's more likely something happened to one of the electronic components in the projector. I am fanatical about this and keep my AV equipment physically unplugged from the wall unless i'm going to use it based on fear factor of this happening..

not sure if you have this information already, Mendtronix is the official repair facility for JVC, you can start the process from the link below. keep us posted

https://mendtronix.com/projector-repair/
mine is plugged in at the ceiling so I can't get to it. I do make sure it's not on during a storm, mainly worried about losing power while its on and the bulb not getting to cool down. I did get the contact info from JVC on repair, but thats when it was just flashing the warning lamp. the 5 flashes of the lamp and stand by didn't happen till after I spoke with them. Tried calling back today but just got voicemail. Will try again tomorrow.
sablack2 is offline  
post #31643 of 31893 Old 03-11-2019, 03:55 PM
Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2015
Posts: 27
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 22 Post(s)
Liked: 2
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dreamliner View Post
That sucks. I wonder if you can tell if the lamp is broken or not by looking at it. Was the projector on and shut off when this happened? Hopefully someone will chime in with what 5 flashes means, perhaps if you email JVC they will tell you. Either way, you'll probably have to send it in.


This might be a good time to remind everyone to put their entire system on a quality surge protector (SurgeX) and also a dedicated battery backup (APC, Cyberpower, etc). I have both for my entire system. The last power outage was during the series finale of Dexter (yuck) and I was able to finish the episode on battery power and properly shut everything down.


UB820 in SDR/BT2020 mode uses Gamma 2.4. Calibration will still adjust for gamma droop and colors.


Doesn't really matter either way. Based on your usage, in 2 years from now you'll need a new lamp anyway and if you plan to have Chad out every 2 years, he'll be right on time. The replace lamp indicator comes on at 3400 hours, so you can use that to gauge your usage. Projectors look best on a fresh lamp, perhaps it might be best he calibrates your new lamp then you have a 1700 hour lamp as a spare and can enjoy the benefits of the fresh lamp.
I'll check the lamp tonight. The unit was not on during the storm. I can't find any info on what the 5 flashes mean. Will also try JVC support again tomorrow. Just got voicemail all afternoon.
sablack2 is offline  
post #31644 of 31893 Old 03-12-2019, 06:54 AM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
claw's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2001
Location: L'Etoile du Nord
Posts: 2,784
Mentioned: 76 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2166 Post(s)
Liked: 2023
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dreamliner View Post
https://www.ebay.com/itm/113451713632

Thoughts? I messaged them and they said it is a genuine USHIO bulb...
Maybe you have figured it out by now, but your link is to a NSHA230JK bulb. You want a NSHA250JK.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/Ushio-NSHA-...kAAOSwc9VcPLlK

CJ
JVC RS500|LG B7A OLED|Denon X6400H/X4200W|Panasonic UB820|Two Oppo 203|Samsung K8500|Apple TV 4K|HDfury Vertex/Linker/Integral
claw is offline  
post #31645 of 31893 Old 03-12-2019, 07:21 AM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
jh901's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2010
Location: PITTSBURGH
Posts: 1,345
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 712 Post(s)
Liked: 263
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dreamliner View Post


UB820 in SDR/BT2020 mode uses Gamma 2.4. Calibration will still adjust for gamma droop and colors.


Isn't a BT.1886 gamma ideal for standard Blu-ray? I wonder if Chad is implementing Gamma 2.4 for UltraHD (HDR) and BT.1886 for Blu?

HT: Panasonic DP-UB820 | JVC RS600 | 106" x 45" Stewart ST 100 | Cary Audio Cinema 12 | NAD M27 | Elac Uni-Fi UF5, UC5, Debut F5/B6; Focal CMS Sub
STEREO: [Shunyata Denali] Playback Designs MPS-5 (fully upgraded) | Cary Audio SLP-05 tube line level | Cary Audio SA-200.2 ES | Focal Diablo Utopia III DEN: 60" Panasonic VT60
jh901 is offline  
post #31646 of 31893 Old 03-12-2019, 10:11 AM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
nathan_h's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2001
Posts: 9,326
Mentioned: 43 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2724 Post(s)
Liked: 1955
Quote:
Originally Posted by zombie10k View Post
We watched Aquaman UHD on Vudu last night and it looked amazing. ...
warning - it's a VAR movie - bouncing back and forth between scope and 16:9. some will hate this but I personally enjoyed it..
Interesting. Even though I have a scope screen, I like when they retain the VAR since sometimes I watch on a flat panel OR even shrink the whole movie if it merits it.

For example, Dunkirk would merit it BUT the version in VUDU and ITUNES doesn't contain the VAR version!

Since our projectors can add blanking (masking) it is easy to make a VAR movie look clean and all scope, just like in the theaters, so I don't mind them including the extra content.

Quote:
Originally Posted by StevenC56 View Post
As s scope screen user these VAR movies are a pain. I wish they would give you a choice between the 2.
Yeah that would be even better.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jh901 View Post
Isn't a BT.1886 gamma ideal for standard Blu-ray? I wonder if Chad is implementing Gamma 2.4 for UltraHD (HDR) and BT.1886 for Blu?
Chad updated my RS500 a couple months ago. His SDR calibration report says this at the top: Gamma Formula: ITU_BT1886
nathan_h is offline  
post #31647 of 31893 Old 03-12-2019, 12:57 PM
Advanced Member
 
DVD MAN's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2002
Location: Marlboro, NJ
Posts: 956
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 212 Post(s)
Liked: 89
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rengozu View Post
Ended up taking the 9000 plunge for the extra options myself, so guess I'll see soon enough when it arrives later this month. Whether or not it was worth paying double the 820 remains to be seen, but if it improves my image any I have a hard time seeing any projector upgrades for me for quite a while as I'm still happy with the 600. Probably easier for me to say since I haven't really seen what the newer ones can do, but it would take a great price with a decent enough trade-in/cash out on my old one to make me jump.

Also hoping the 9000 will be easy enough to fit right in with all my current settings easy enough, as it hasn't been that long since Chad was here to calibrate. (and he did give me a 2020 setting should I end up going that route)
If anyone here has any JVC setup advice for the 820 or 9000, feel free to shoot me some pointers on settings.
I have the JVC RS 500 and the 9000 no regrets easy set up and excellent image. I prefer the 9000 in SDR/2020 over my Arve curves.
jh901 and Rengozu like this.

Home Theater: Stewart -100” 4 Way Sreenwall Electric Masking, JVC-DLA-RS500, Tivo Vox, Oppo-UDP-205, Roku 4K Ultra, Apple TV 4K, Panasonic UB9000 , Marantz AV8802A-7.1 SSP, Ayre K5 MP Stereo Pre Amp, Clearaudio Concept Turntable, U-Turn Pluto Phono Pre Amp, Rotel RB-1070, Rotel RMB-1095, Rotel RB-933, Ayre-V5xe,Vandersteen-3A Signature-Front LR, Vandersteen-VCC-5-Center, Vandersteen-VSM-Surrounds and Atmos, Dual SVS PB16 Ultras Subwoofers.
DVD MAN is offline  
post #31648 of 31893 Old 03-12-2019, 01:09 PM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
Chad B's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2002
Location: Bradford, OH
Posts: 2,714
Mentioned: 99 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 690 Post(s)
Liked: 1570
Quote:
Originally Posted by jh901 View Post
Isn't a BT.1886 gamma ideal for standard Blu-ray? I wonder if Chad is implementing Gamma 2.4 for UltraHD (HDR) and BT.1886 for Blu?


Yes I am.


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
skypop, jh901 and Rengozu like this.

touring ISF/THX calibrator with Jeti 1211 and Klein K-10
Latest reviews:JVC RS540, JVC RS3000, Sony VPL-VW695ES
Copied settings measured, Review archive
Chad B is online now  
post #31649 of 31893 Old 03-12-2019, 04:53 PM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
jh901's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2010
Location: PITTSBURGH
Posts: 1,345
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 712 Post(s)
Liked: 263
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chad B View Post
Yes I am.


Hi Chad, thanks.


I'll plan to pick up a UB820 and a new lamp in late Fall. If all goes according to plan, then I'll see you then!
Chad B likes this.

HT: Panasonic DP-UB820 | JVC RS600 | 106" x 45" Stewart ST 100 | Cary Audio Cinema 12 | NAD M27 | Elac Uni-Fi UF5, UC5, Debut F5/B6; Focal CMS Sub
STEREO: [Shunyata Denali] Playback Designs MPS-5 (fully upgraded) | Cary Audio SLP-05 tube line level | Cary Audio SA-200.2 ES | Focal Diablo Utopia III DEN: 60" Panasonic VT60
jh901 is offline  
post #31650 of 31893 Old 03-12-2019, 06:47 PM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
Dreamliner's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2009
Location: Minnesota
Posts: 2,071
Mentioned: 21 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1348 Post(s)
Liked: 681
Dreamliner is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
Reply Digital Hi-End Projectors - $3,000+ USD MSRP

Tags
jvc-rs500u synch/display issue? , RS600

Thread Tools
Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page


Forum Jump: 

Posting Rules  
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off