Official JVC RS600 / RS500 (X950R / X750R - X9000 / X7000) Owners Thread - Page 1063 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 
 84754Likes

post #31861 of 32086 Old 06-01-2019, 10:31 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 24 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1422 Post(s)
Liked: 747
Quote:
Originally Posted by zombie10k View Post
on the firestick
Do you have a Firestick? I'm wondering if they are still a garbage fire like the old one I used to have was. It was very slow, glitchy and needed to be restarted often. I switched to an nVidia Shield (and a Roku Ultra) and they were both significantly better.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #31862 of 32086 Old 06-02-2019, 10:10 AM
AVS Forum Addicted Member

Mentioned: 164 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 5348 Post(s)
Liked: 5678
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dreamliner View Post
Do you have a Firestick? I'm wondering if they are still a garbage fire like the old one I used to have was. It was very slow, glitchy and needed to be restarted often. I switched to an nVidia Shield (and a Roku Ultra) and they were both significantly better.
I don't have one, just looking around to see if others were having a similar issue with no 4K to try and help out dragonbud0. I have the Shield and Roku Ultra as well, I like them both.

For the last week i've had the PC in the HT room testing latest builds of MadVR with DTM. it's very impressive how far they have come with this effort. I think it's time to fully commit the PC for UHD HDR duties.

yes I turn off all the bling lights before movie viewing.

Spoiler!
post #31863 of 32086 Old 06-02-2019, 11:35 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
I don't have one, just looking around to see if others were having a similar issue with no 4K to try and help out dragonbud0. I have the Shield and Roku Ultra as well, I like them both.

For the last week i've had the PC in the HT room testing latest builds of MadVR with DTM. it's very impressive how far they have come with this effort. I think it's time to fully commit the PC for UHD HDR duties.

yes I turn off all the bling lights before movie viewing.

Spoiler!
The new Fire products are probably better but I have very low tolerance for UI glitches and stutters so I stay away.

I really need to look into MadVR. I have done nothing with it. I am also not sure I want to commit to building the required NAS server, although I have rackspace for one.

While I can appreciate a good RGB setup I am still of the opinion PCs are best suited as windowless black boxes, every penny spent on RGB is better spent on performance. I do think it looks cool though and purple really pops on PC’s.

I am also never buying an AIO because I do not feel like buying new gear when (not if) it leaks or the pump fails. Absolute best case scenario is you are spending $130 every 6 years or so on new AIOs because of pump failure, worst case it leaks and you fry your video card or motherboard when it does. The Noctua D15S will match any AIO and will last forever.

This is a pic from a previous build several years ago. The cooler works great but is a terrible, horrible, awful board-out install. I have been holding out for the new Noctua D15 replacement teased at Computex that they told me about almost a year ago. I am very much against heat and think it kills electronics so all my drives have active cooling. Finding a good NAS outside of Synology that does that well is difficult, same with DIY rackmount cases.

Spoiler!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #31864 of 32086 Old 06-02-2019, 12:05 PM

Quote:
The new Fire products are probably better but I have very low tolerance for UI glitches and stutters so I stay away.

I really need to look into MadVR. I have done nothing with it. I am also not sure I want to commit to building the required NAS server, although I have rackspace for one.

While I can appreciate a good RGB setup I am still of the opinion PCs are best suited as windowless black boxes, every penny spent on RGB is better spent on performance. I do think it looks cool though and purple really pops on PC’s.

I am also never buying an AIO because I do not feel like buying new gear when (not if) it leaks or the pump fails. Absolute best case scenario is you are spending $130 every 6 years or so on new AIOs because of pump failure, worst case it leaks and you fry your video card or motherboard when it does. The Noctua D15S will match any AIO and will last forever.

This is a pic from a previous build several years ago. The cooler works great but is a terrible, horrible, awful board-out install. I have been holding out for the new Noctua D15 replacement teased at Computex that they told me about almost a year ago. I am very much against heat and think it kills electronics so all my drives have active cooling. Finding a good NAS outside of Synology that does that well is difficult, same with DIY rackmount cases.

Spoiler!

I think we have the same case. This is my old file server still in use after 5+ years. It has a low wattage AMD motherboard / CPU combo and a SAS Raid controller (very expensive back in 2013) for a raid 6 setup. Those are 3TB RED drives still going after all these years.

Spoiler!

I replaced it with the Synology 1817+ with (8) 8TB drives in raid 6 for a bit under 50TB. It very low power and has been rock solid for the last 2 years.
Spoiler!

The PC i'm using for MadVR is an I9 9900K @ 5.0ghz and the 1080ti which handles MadVR DTM with no issues. I recommend checking it out. This is the next level after the custom curves -> UB820 -> MadVR DTM. I resisted for a while until it was more mature but now it's go time.
post #31865 of 32086 Old 06-02-2019, 12:21 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 223 Post(s)
Liked: 122
I thought that I finished the Fire TV Stick 4k update last night but... My network showed 100 Mbps UL and 35 DL.

Anyway, it seemed to take forever but it was done. Plugged into the same HDMI port today, no 4k. Tried it with the Roku HDMI input, no 4k.

I'll try the Amazon App on the Roku 4k HDR (4660R) later tonight. It's frustrating. Also, the obese Fire Stick took out another HDMI input slot. It was running hot. Ditto with the Roku stick so I replaced it with the Roku 4660R. Chromecast Ultra stick also runs hot since none of them has any kind of internal fan.
post #31866 of 32086 Old 06-02-2019, 06:34 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quoted: 223 Post(s)
Liked: 122
Argh! False alarm. I looked back at my purchase from 2018 from Amazon - it's not a 4k Fire TV Stick! Case closed.

I'm not about to upgrade in this case since there is not enough contents yet. I'll use the Roku 4k or ATV4k instead.
post #31867 of 32086 Old 06-03-2019, 07:13 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
I think we have the same case. This is my old file server still in use after 5+ years. It has a low wattage AMD motherboard / CPU combo and a SAS Raid controller (very expensive back in 2013) for a raid 6 setup. Those are 3TB RED drives still going after all these years.

Spoiler!

I replaced it with the Synology 1817+ with (8) 8TB drives in raid 6 for a bit under 50TB. It very low power and has been rock solid for the last 2 years.
Spoiler!

The PC i'm using for MadVR is an I9 9900K @ 5.0ghz and the 1080ti which handles MadVR DTM with no issues. I recommend checking it out. This is the next level after the custom curves -> UB820 -> MadVR DTM. I resisted for a while until it was more mature but now it's go time.
Yeah we have the same case, the Fractal Design Define case is very practical and functional...in fact, with the right drive cages, it can store a TON of disks (not my pic):

Spoiler!

I'm open to Synology but I think if I went this route I'd combine MadVR and storage server into one rackmount box...after going from XBMC to Plex I went back to a single PC and have been very hesitant to build a media server again. How CPU heavy is MadVR? Can I get away with one of those older Dell servers (like a Dell r630 with Haswell Xeon chip(s)?) and just throw in a 1080Ti?

I've even toyed with just trying to run MadVR from my desktop in my office with some sort of 50 foot long HDMI cable to get to my receiver but windows doesn't play nice with 2 DP monitors + occasional HDMI activities.
post #31868 of 32086 Old 06-03-2019, 09:36 AM

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 124 Post(s)
Liked: 93
Or even

j

Actually I need to take another photo, there’s another disk cage hanging down behind the bluray drives
post #31869 of 32086 Old 06-03-2019, 03:26 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by AndreNewman View Post
Or even

Spoiler!

Actually I need to take another photo, there’s another disk cage hanging down behind the bluray drives
Where did you get the extra cages, how much were they and what RAID cards are you using?
post #31870 of 32086 Old 06-03-2019, 08:27 PM

Quote:

I'm open to Synology but I think if I went this route I'd combine MadVR and storage server into one rackmount box...after going from XBMC to Plex I went back to a single PC and have been very hesitant to build a media server again. How CPU heavy is MadVR? Can I get away with one of those older Dell servers (like a Dell r630 with Haswell Xeon chip(s)?) and just throw in a 1080Ti?

I've even toyed with just trying to run MadVR from my desktop in my office with some sort of 50 foot long HDMI cable to get to my receiver but windows doesn't play nice with 2 DP monitors + occasional HDMI activities.
quick test playing Captain American Civil War UHD HDR is ~12% CPU on 8 cores and ~60% GPU. Looking at the R630 chassis, it wouldn't hold a card the size of the 1080Ti, you'd likely have to run it in an external enclosure.
post #31871 of 32086 Old 06-03-2019, 08:34 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
quick test playing Captain American Civil War UHD HDR is ~12% CPU on 8 cores and ~60% GPU. Looking at the R630 chassis, it wouldn't hold a card the size of the 1080Ti, you'd likely have to run it in an external enclosure.
I meant T630 or maybe even the T620. Those are like a tower but can be rack mounted as well.
post #31872 of 32086 Old 06-04-2019, 01:26 AM

Quote:
Where did you get the extra cages, how much were they and what RAID cards are you using?
I got the cages from Fractal Design, they have a spares shop, be careful their shipping is quite expensive and you have to pay it per order. I didn't know I needed to order the special drive screws separately, they don't come with the cages and trays, the screws were very cheap but the extra shipping wasn't.

https://www.fractal-design-shop.de

If you look carefully you can work out which parts will fit in which chassis also the guys there are very helpful to sort out what to order.

A friend built something similar recently, he chose a Corsair Obsidian 750 and extrapolating from these pics
https://legitreviews.com/wp-content/...an_750d_58.jpg
We decided it's possible to install bays for 18 drives, he was able to order the extra drive bays direct from the supplier Scan here in the UK and it all lines up the 3 x 3 bay front cages all screw together, the second row behind need a metal strip to secure them a little, meccano or similar.

The Corsair drive cages are better than the Fractal ones, both have shock mounting but the Fractal ones don't really have enough room for the taller WD Red 6,8&10TB Helium drives, the corsair ones are side mounted which gives better clearance.

I don't use a raid controller, just a HBA, the motherboard (SuperMicro X10SDV-4C-7TP4F) has an LSI 16 port HBA on board and I have a Silverstone ECS02 SAS/SATA 8 port controller too.

I'm using snapraid, much more suitable in my opinion for a media server than raid 6 or ZFS. Easy to mix drive sizes, formats and add remove drives more easily. While "raid is not a backup" snapraid is much more like a backup or sorts.

As this is hugely off topic for this thread:

Does anyone have a clever way to do macros with an X7000 and a Harmony Hub? I'm trying to select a specific mask for 2.35:1 when I call the lens memory. I don't like having Pseudo IMAX scene projected across the wall when I forget.

I asked the HDfury guys to tweak the Vertex masking to do this but they played the no ram left card.

Andre
post #31873 of 32086 Old 06-05-2019, 03:10 AM

Quoted: 19 Post(s)
Liked: 7
Hi does anyone know if the rs500 supports HLG I have tried to search everywhere but I can’t see it anywhere thanks in advance ?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
post #31874 of 32086 Old 06-05-2019, 04:17 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mavang View Post
Hi does anyone know if the rs500 supports HLG I have tried to search everywhere but I can’t see it anywhere thanks in advance ?

You can do HLG with a custom gamma curve and a vertex, there’s an example curve in Manni’s hdr curve pack for the vertex.
post #31875 of 32086 Old 06-05-2019, 10:06 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 82 Post(s)
Quoted: 2315 Post(s)
Liked: 2170
Quote:
Originally Posted by AndreNewman View Post
You can do HLG with a custom gamma curve and a vertex, there’s an example curve in Manni’s hdr curve pack for the vertex.
I used Manni's HLG curve to watch Directv 4K HLG on my RS500. I have canceled Directv since then so don't have a good HLG source any longer.

I can't recall if I needed my Vertex to disable the HDR bits so that the JVC would not activate Gamma D; thinking it was HDR10. It really shouldn't switch to Gamma D since the EOTF value for HLG is different than for PQ. But like I said, I don't recall.

CJ
JVC RS500|LG B7A OLED|Denon X6400H/X4200W|Panasonic UB820|Two Oppo 203|Samsung K8500|Apple TV 4K|HDfury Diva/Vertex/Linker/Integral
post #31876 of 32086 Old 06-06-2019, 07:23 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 43 Post(s)
Quoted: 2726 Post(s)
Liked: 1961
Quote:

Short answer is NO.

Long answer is YES since it is possible to hack it.

Last edited by nathan_h; 06-06-2019 at 07:31 AM.
post #31877 of 32086 Old 06-06-2019, 01:08 PM

Quoted: 19 Post(s)
Liked: 7
Quote:
Originally Posted by nathan_h View Post
Short answer is NO.

Thanks Nathan any chance of elaborating on how to hack ?

post #31878 of 32086 Old 06-06-2019, 01:22 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Quote:
Short answer is NO.

I paid a professional to do my custom gamma curves.

He used a tool named after the person that developed it named Arve and lots of measurement tools.

For me to use it required manual steps every time until the purchase and install and programming of a control box called a Vertex.

It works great now but of course this was the transitional model year and most models since don’t need all that for most situations.
post #31879 of 32086 Old 06-06-2019, 06:10 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 129 Post(s)
Quoted: 4859 Post(s)
Liked: 1835
Quote:
I wouldn’t call it a “hack”. You need to either create a custom curve, or use a curve created by someone else for a display with similar luminance level, then load it to the projector. It’s perfectly safe and legit, and does not affect the manufacturer’s warranty.
mavang likes this.
post #31880 of 32086 Old 06-09-2019, 09:57 AM

Overlord UHD

Last night we watched 'Overlord' UHD. went in blind with no reviews, no trailers. WOW! high recommend to check this out. What a visual and aural roller coaster with a demo worthy opening scene. HDR looks excellent in this film and many low & very low APL scenes with great shadow detail. Only a few projectors can dig this deep like the RS600 in a velvet pit, very convincing black floor. The ATMOS and LFE is excellent throughout the entire movie.

Ralph has a great review of it here:

https://www.avsforum.com/forum/187-o...ay-review.html
Dave Vaughn, krichter1 and Toe like this.
post #31881 of 32086 Old 06-09-2019, 10:22 AM

Mentioned: 63 Post(s)
Quoted: 2454 Post(s)
Liked: 1324
Hunter killer is another decent one with a nice soundtrack if you haven't seen it.
Acting isn't perfect, but overall it's not a bad movie and has some great visuals and sound at times.

**Updated Projector Calculator Released NOV 2017**
-- www.webprojectorcalculator.com --

Last edited by coderguy; 06-09-2019 at 10:29 AM.
post #31882 of 32086 Old 06-09-2019, 02:34 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 29 Post(s)
Quoted: 1465 Post(s)
Liked: 2284
Quote:
Originally Posted by coderguy View Post
Hunter killer is another decent one with a nice soundtrack if you haven't seen it.
Acting isn't perfect, but overall it's not a bad movie and has some great visuals and sound at times.

Just check your brain at the door...if you think too much about this one it goes from zero to absurd in about 20 seconds It does look and sound good though
krichter1 likes this.

David Vaughn Blu-ray Reviewer / Technical Writer Sound & Vision Magazine (Print & Online)
post #31883 of 32086 Old 06-09-2019, 05:52 PM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 375 Post(s)
Liked: 262
Probably not the right thread for this question but,is anybody aware of or using a splitter/switcher that works well with 4K HDR? My wife surprised me with a 4K TV for the den,I have a Yamaha receiver that is 4K HDR compatible but it only has 1 4K hdmi input,and I have 3 4k devices to use with it,not interested in buying a new receiver since this one works well. Thanks for any help.

2 Channel: Fi 2A3 mono's,Hovland HP100,Technics SP10MK2/SME/Benz....HT:126" Seymour AT Screen,JBL Studio 590's for LCR, Side and Rear Surrounds. Jbl SCS8'S for Fr Heights, and Rear Heights,2 Epik Empire Subs,2 Behringer B1200D Midbass Subs,Marantz 7702MK2,Proceed Amp-5,Outlaw 7125,Panasonic UB820 ,Toshiba HD35,JVC RS600. Black Velvet.
post #31884 of 32086 Old 06-09-2019, 07:17 PM

Mentioned: 63 Post(s)
Quoted: 2454 Post(s)
Liked: 1324
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave Vaughn View Post
Just check your brain at the door...if you think too much about this one it goes from zero to absurd in about 20 seconds It does look and sound good though
There are some absurdities, but isn't that with most movies. It's not a documentary or anything, but yes the sound is good and some good visuals.
Dave Vaughn likes this.

**Updated Projector Calculator Released NOV 2017**
-- www.webprojectorcalculator.com --
post #31885 of 32086 Old 06-10-2019, 12:55 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 229 Post(s)
Liked: 129
I couldn’t find this posted.

How does the aperture impact lumen output?

I’ve read the rs500/600 is about 1100 on low, but this didn’t state the aperture setting.

On low with aperture set most negative, what lumens can one expect? I know it’s influenced by bulb age too.

I’m getting a bat cave and want a studiotek 130. Diag will be 118” 16:9.

I want to make sure I can crank it down enough to not blow my eyes away — unless I want that.

Otherwise I might need to consider the Studiotek 100.

Thanks!
post #31886 of 32086 Old 06-10-2019, 02:16 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 83 Post(s)
Liked: 39
Question: I have the DLA-RS500 JVC projector with an attached Panamorphic lens. Is it possible to control the lens via the projector remote? Any response would be appreciated.
Thanks.
post #31887 of 32086 Old 06-10-2019, 02:25 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by MadMyers View Post

I’ve read the rs500/600 is about 1100 on low, but this didn’t state the aperture setting.

On low with aperture set most negative, what lumens can one expect? I know it’s influenced by bulb age too.

I want to make sure I can crank it down enough to not blow my eyes away — unless I want that.

Thanks!
I don’t think you have to worry about it being too bright.
post #31888 of 32086 Old 06-11-2019, 06:54 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Thanks.

If anyone knows the lumen output with the aperture clamped down on low, I’d appreciate hearing.

Quote:
Quote:

Thanks!
I don’t think you have to worry about it being too bright.
post #31889 of 32086 Old 06-11-2019, 12:57 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 129 Post(s)
Quoted: 4859 Post(s)
Liked: 1835
Quote:
Thanks.

If anyone knows the lumen output with the aperture clamped down on low, I’d appreciate hearing.
I’m getting 50% of the maximum when clamping down to -13 (60 nits vs 120 nits).
MadMyers likes this.
post #31890 of 32086 Old 06-11-2019, 01:16 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dominic Chan View Post
I’m getting 50% of the maximum when clamping down to -13 (60 nits vs 120 nits).
Thanks!

Anyone here running with a Studiotek 130 (ST130)? Any comments?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply Digital Hi-End Projectors - $3,000+ USD MSRP

Tags
jvc-rs500u synch/display issue? , RS600

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page