Official JVC RS600 / RS500 (X950R / X750R - X9000 / X7000) Owners Thread - Page 1065 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 
 84754Likes
Reply
 
Thread Tools
post #31921 of 32086 Old 07-03-2019, 09:30 AM
AVS Forum Addicted Member
 
Mike Garrett's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2011
Posts: 26,459
Mentioned: 241 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 12498 Post(s)
Liked: 10117
Send a message via Skype™ to Mike Garrett
Quote:
Originally Posted by Erod View Post
Is JVC ok with selling 10% pic the units they're used to selling?

The $7K+ projector crowd is tiny. I could swing it, but never would I spend $15K for a projector that looks 5% or less better.
Why would you think that is the case? On AVSF, the RS2000/NX7 way out sold the RS1000/NX5 for preorder and has been typical since the 400, 500 came out. Also the RS1000/NX5, RS2000/NX7 sold close to the same numbers as the RS400 and RS500 preorder did in 2016. The 1000 and 2000 out sold the 420 and 520 preorder and also outsold the 440 and 540 at preorder.
Dave Vaughn and krichter1 like this.
Mike Garrett is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #31922 of 32086 Old 07-03-2019, 11:11 AM
Advanced Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2015
Posts: 955
Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 628 Post(s)
Liked: 335
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dreamliner View Post
Somewhere between reading about the direct in-person comparisons several guys on here have done, reading about the yellowing DI issue and such and finally being able to be completely satisfied with my 4K disc image due to the glorious UB820 with these settings I have completely lost the upgrade itch.

Clearly the HDR standard wasn’t up to snuff as most manufacturers are implementing some form of tone-mapping now to correct the image. After years of frustration with “HDR” the UB820 finally gave me what I expected out of the box.
Ok Dreamliner do i by the ub820 and get rid of the oppo.. I'm using javs curvs and they have served me very well but im still skeptical if the ub820 will be better than the curves.. If you say yes one more time then ill place the order between today and tomorrow..

I dont care about ease of use.. What i want to know is if some tittles will look better..
jorgebetancourt is online now  
post #31923 of 32086 Old 07-03-2019, 11:51 AM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
Dreamliner's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2009
Location: Minnesota
Posts: 2,144
Mentioned: 24 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1422 Post(s)
Liked: 747
Quote:
Originally Posted by jorgebetancourt View Post
Ok Dreamliner do i by the ub820 and get rid of the oppo.. I'm using javs curvs and they have served me very well but im still skeptical if the ub820 will be better than the curves.. If you say yes one more time then ill place the order between today and tomorrow..

I dont care about ease of use.. What i want to know is if some tittles will look better..
I personally think yes. The tittles will look much better.

The frustration I had with just straight HDR, even using JAVS curves, is that the brightness would vary quite a bit from disc to disc. Certain movies, like Star Trek 09 or Rise of the Planet of the Apes would look great, but then other titles like Star Trek Beyond or Dawn of the Planet of the Apes would look darker than was pleasant. Every time I would run into a 'dark disc' the regular Blu-ray was much brighter and much more pleasant to watch.

The UB820 (and to a lesser extend the Oppo as well) has the ability internally decode the HDR and send a "SDR" signal to the projector. It is still a full range signal it is just doing the processing inside the player instead of the projector. That is why my UB820/JVC Recommended Settings say to use Gamma 2.4 instead of a JAVS curve when configured the way I suggest. You can also use the UB820 in regular HDR mode as well. In both cases, you can use the HDR Optimizer and Dynamic Range Adjustment Slider to adjust the image even further. Both of those things are mentioned in my recommended settings as well. (I still use JAVS curves when I stream 4K using my nVidia Shield)

Unless you actually use a function only the Oppo does, like SACD, selling it to buy a UB820 is a no brainier. Even on a high-fee site like eBay after fees and shipping you'll still pocket $150+ over the cost of a full price UB820 (Best Buy has it on sale and open box is $120 cheaper than full price, netting you up to $270+), selling locally or to another member here will likely net you even more. Buy the UB820 first and try it for a week to make sure you like it better before selling the Oppo.
Dreamliner is online now  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #31924 of 32086 Old 07-03-2019, 12:46 PM
Advanced Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2015
Posts: 955
Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 628 Post(s)
Liked: 335
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dreamliner View Post
I personally think yes. The tittles will look much better.



The frustration I had with just straight HDR, even using JAVS curves, is that the brightness would vary quite a bit from disc to disc. Certain movies, like Star Trek 09 or Rise of the Planet of the Apes would look great, but then other titles like Star Trek Beyond or Dawn of the Planet of the Apes would look darker than was pleasant. Every time I would run into a 'dark disc' the regular Blu-ray was much brighter and much more pleasant to watch.



The UB820 (and to a lesser extend the Oppo as well) has the ability internally decode the HDR and send a "SDR" signal to the projector. It is still a full range signal it is just doing the processing inside the player instead of the projector. That is why my UB820/JVC Recommended Settings say to use Gamma 2.4 instead of a JAVS curve when configured the way I suggest. You can also use the UB820 in regular HDR mode as well. In both cases, you can use the HDR Optimizer and Dynamic Range Adjustment Slider to adjust the image even further. Both of those things are mentioned in my recommended settings as well. (I still use JAVS curves when I stream 4K using my nVidia Shield)



Unless you actually use a function only the Oppo does, like SACD, selling it to buy a UB820 is a no brainier. Even on a high-fee site like eBay after fees and shipping you'll still pocket $150+ over the cost of a full price UB820 (Best Buy has it on sale and open box is $120 cheaper than full price, netting you up to $270+), selling locally or to another member here will likely net you even more. Buy the UB820 first and try it for a week to make sure you like it better before selling the Oppo.
Got it.. going to give it one more day then order.

I will not be using the apps I have my Roku for that along with the curves.

Thank you so much hopefully I won't get stuck trying to set this thing up

Sent from my SM-G930T using Tapatalk
jorgebetancourt is online now  
post #31925 of 32086 Old 07-03-2019, 01:44 PM
Advanced Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2015
Posts: 955
Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 628 Post(s)
Liked: 335
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dreamliner View Post
I personally think yes. The tittles will look much better.

The frustration I had with just straight HDR, even using JAVS curves, is that the brightness would vary quite a bit from disc to disc. Certain movies, like Star Trek 09 or Rise of the Planet of the Apes would look great, but then other titles like Star Trek Beyond or Dawn of the Planet of the Apes would look darker than was pleasant. Every time I would run into a 'dark disc' the regular Blu-ray was much brighter and much more pleasant to watch.

The UB820 (and to a lesser extend the Oppo as well) has the ability internally decode the HDR and send a "SDR" signal to the projector. It is still a full range signal it is just doing the processing inside the player instead of the projector. That is why my UB820/JVC Recommended Settings say to use Gamma 2.4 instead of a JAVS curve when configured the way I suggest. You can also use the UB820 in regular HDR mode as well. In both cases, you can use the HDR Optimizer and Dynamic Range Adjustment Slider to adjust the image even further. Both of those things are mentioned in my recommended settings as well. (I still use JAVS curves when I stream 4K using my nVidia Shield)

Unless you actually use a function only the Oppo does, like SACD, selling it to buy a UB820 is a no brainier. Even on a high-fee site like eBay after fees and shipping you'll still pocket $150+ over the cost of a full price UB820 (Best Buy has it on sale and open box is $120 cheaper than full price, netting you up to $270+), selling locally or to another member here will likely net you even more. Buy the UB820 first and try it for a week to make sure you like it better before selling the Oppo.
Dreamliner i have one more question for you.. I have 2 projectors here one of them is 1080p and sometimes to not put hours on the 640 i use my kids projector the 1080p optoma. Lots of times i play uhd 4k movies through the oppo and it down converts them to 1080 automatically as it detects my kids projector which is 1080.. Can the panasonic auto detect each projector like the oppo can.. On the oppo when i turn on my kids projector the movie gets downscaled and when i want to watch something on the 640 it auto detects it and outputs the signal to 4k..
jorgebetancourt is online now  
post #31926 of 32086 Old 07-03-2019, 04:25 PM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
Dreamliner's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2009
Location: Minnesota
Posts: 2,144
Mentioned: 24 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1422 Post(s)
Liked: 747
Quote:
Originally Posted by jorgebetancourt View Post
I will not be using the apps I have my Roku for that along with the curves.

Thank you so much hopefully I won't get stuck trying to set this thing up
I don’t use the apps either. You’ll be fine, just follow my recommended settings post.
Quote:
Originally Posted by jorgebetancourt View Post
Can the panasonic auto detect each projector like the oppo can.. On the oppo when i turn on my kids projector the movie gets downscaled and when i want to watch something on the 640 it auto detects it and outputs the signal to 4k..
I’ve not tried it but it probably will. Only one way to find out.
jorgebetancourt likes this.
Dreamliner is online now  
post #31927 of 32086 Old 07-03-2019, 07:32 PM
Senior Member
 
IMDave's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Location: Melbourne,Australia
Posts: 200
Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 137 Post(s)
Liked: 158
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dreamliner View Post
I don’t use the apps either. You’ll be fine, just follow my recommended settings post.

I’ve not tried it but it probably will. Only one way to find out.
One thing that has puzzled me is why there is so little love for the UB420? All the talk has always been about the UB820, but from my little understanding, that comes at twice the price of the UB420 for the addition of Dolby Vision support ( which, as projector owners , we can't use, and 7.1 analogue outputs ( which we probably won't use either ).
Are they the only difference between models, and if so, why hasn't everyone bought the 420?
IMDave is offline  
post #31928 of 32086 Old 07-03-2019, 07:39 PM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2014
Location: Mississauga, ON, Canada
Posts: 6,921
Mentioned: 129 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 4859 Post(s)
Liked: 1835
Quote:
Originally Posted by IMDave View Post
One thing that has puzzled me is why there is so little love for the UB420? All the talk has always been about the UB820, but from my little understanding, that comes at twice the price of the UB420 for the addition of Dolby Vision support ( which, as projector owners , we can't use, and 7.1 analogue outputs ( which we probably won't use either ).
Are they the only difference between models, and if so, why hasn't everyone bought the 420?
The UB420 is not sold in the US. It is available in Canada, but the street prices are only $100 CAD apart ($300 vs $400).
Dominic Chan is offline  
post #31929 of 32086 Old 07-03-2019, 08:10 PM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
dragonbud0's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2001
Location: Jersey Shore
Posts: 2,447
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 223 Post(s)
Liked: 122
As Dominque pointed out, the 420 model is not available here in the US, while the 820 is. So there is more consumers and coverage here.
dragonbud0 is offline  
post #31930 of 32086 Old 07-03-2019, 08:30 PM
Senior Member
 
IMDave's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Location: Melbourne,Australia
Posts: 200
Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 137 Post(s)
Liked: 158
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dominic Chan View Post
The UB420 is not sold in the US. It is available in Canada, but the street prices are only $100 CAD apart ($300 vs $400).
Thanks to all. That explains it.
Here in Australia, the UB420 sells for $A300, whilst the UB820 is $A600.
Sorry for the OT.
IMDave is offline  
post #31931 of 32086 Old 07-04-2019, 07:57 AM
Advanced Member
 
5mark's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2006
Location: Santa Rosa, CA
Posts: 583
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 95 Post(s)
Liked: 56
Quote:
Originally Posted by jorgebetancourt View Post
Dreamliner i have one more question for you.. I have 2 projectors here one of them is 1080p and sometimes to not put hours on the 640 i use my kids projector the 1080p optoma. Lots of times i play uhd 4k movies through the oppo and it down converts them to 1080 automatically as it detects my kids projector which is 1080.. Can the panasonic auto detect each projector like the oppo can.. On the oppo when i turn on my kids projector the movie gets downscaled and when i want to watch something on the 640 it auto detects it and outputs the signal to 4k..
If the Panny detects a 1080p display it will automatically downconvert a UHD disc to 1080p/709. The nice thing is even with this output you still have access to all the HDR Optimizer controls for tweaking the image. Also keep in mind that in some dual projector setups, the Panny will still "see" the 1080p projector and downscale to 1080 even when the 4k projector is in use. Depends on setup/equipment/settings.(The Oppo may behave differently, not sure).
jorgebetancourt likes this.
5mark is offline  
post #31932 of 32086 Old 07-04-2019, 08:22 AM
Advanced Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2015
Posts: 955
Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 628 Post(s)
Liked: 335
Quote:
Originally Posted by 5mark View Post
If the Panny detects a 1080p display it will automatically downconvert a UHD disc to 1080p/709. The nice thing is even with this output you still have access to all the HDR Optimizer controls for tweaking the image. Also keep in mind that in some dual projector setups, the Panny will still "see" the 1080p projector and downscale to 1080 even when the 4k projector is in use. Depends on setup/equipment/settings.(The Oppo may behave differently, not sure).
well I just placed my order.. I was extremely happy with the custom curves but there were still a few movies that didn't look correctly... one of them being Logan for some reason that was unwatchable and it just pissed me off..
I hate to get rid of my oppo but they never fixed the hdr thing and after waiting for them a year I'm finally moving on..



Sent from my SM-G930T using Tapatalk

Last edited by jorgebetancourt; 07-04-2019 at 11:31 AM.
jorgebetancourt is online now  
post #31933 of 32086 Old 07-04-2019, 11:46 AM
Advanced Member
 
5mark's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2006
Location: Santa Rosa, CA
Posts: 583
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 95 Post(s)
Liked: 56
Quote:
Originally Posted by jorgebetancourt View Post
well I just placed my order.. I was extremely happy with the custom curves but there were still a few movies that didn't look correctly... one of them being Logan for some reason that was unwatchable and it just pissed me off..
I hate to get rid of my oppo but they never fixed the hdr thing and after waiting for them a year I'm finally moving on..
Logan is never going to be amazing eye candy, but it's the type of darker title the Panny can help a lot with. Just have to accept that for the best results possible some tweaking per title is often necessary. The only true plug and play HDR for projectors is likely going to be Dynamic Tone Mapping using a Lumagen or MadVR..
5mark is offline  
post #31934 of 32086 Old 07-04-2019, 12:11 PM
Advanced Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2015
Posts: 955
Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 628 Post(s)
Liked: 335
Quote:
Originally Posted by 5mark View Post
Logan is never going to be amazing eye candy, but it's the type of darker title the Panny can help a lot with. Just have to accept that for the best results possible some tweaking per title is often necessary. The only true plug and play HDR for projectors is likely going to be Dynamic Tone Mapping using a Lumagen or MadVR..
Well it was just logan that really put me over the top but to get rid of the oppo which I use with curves for just one tittle that didn't look good then it might not be all worth the replacement..
I already placed the order and I don't mind returning it but in your personal opinion do the rest of the films also end up looking better or do they look the same as using a curve..
And yes I will be getting the Envy when it comes out..

I'm also curious does logan look better with the Panasonic or it looks the same as with the curves...


Sent from my SM-G930T using Tapatalk
jorgebetancourt is online now  
post #31935 of 32086 Old 07-04-2019, 12:25 PM
Pip
Advanced Member
 
Pip's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2001
Location: Pittsburgh, PA
Posts: 865
Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 329 Post(s)
Liked: 148
Quote:
Originally Posted by 5mark View Post
If the Panny detects a 1080p display it will automatically downconvert a UHD disc to 1080p/709. The nice thing is even with this output you still have access to all the HDR Optimizer controls for tweaking the image. Also keep in mind that in some dual projector setups, the Panny will still "see" the 1080p projector and downscale to 1080 even when the 4k projector is in use. Depends on setup/equipment/settings.(The Oppo may behave differently, not sure).
I have a 4K projector and a 1080 TV. In my setup, 820 running always outputs 4K to projector and 1080 to TV, so long as they are nor both on at the same time.

Pip
Pip is offline  
post #31936 of 32086 Old 07-04-2019, 12:30 PM
Advanced Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2015
Posts: 955
Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 628 Post(s)
Liked: 335
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pip View Post
I have a 4K projector and a 1080 TV. In my setup, 820 running always outputs 4K to projector and 1080 to TV, so long as they are nor both on at the same time.



Pip
Thank you that's exactly what I'm looking for.. I will be receiving mines on Saturday so I'll set up sunday. Anything I need to do on the settings for this or just set the resolution on auto.. I will not be using the apps

Sent from my SM-G930T using Tapatalk
jorgebetancourt is online now  
post #31937 of 32086 Old 07-04-2019, 01:06 PM
Advanced Member
 
5mark's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2006
Location: Santa Rosa, CA
Posts: 583
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 95 Post(s)
Liked: 56
Quote:
Originally Posted by jorgebetancourt View Post
Well it was just logan that really put me over the top but to get rid of the oppo which I use with curves for just one tittle that didn't look good then it might not be all worth the replacement..
I already placed the order and I don't mind returning it but in your personal opinion do the rest of the films also end up looking better or do they look the same as using a curve..
And yes I will be getting the Envy when it comes out..

I'm also curious does logan look better with the Panasonic or it looks the same as with the curves...
On typical titles the Panny should be similar or slightly better than a custom curve. The big advantage is problem/darker titles(like Logan) and being able to tweak/improve them. I'm also a fan of the sharpness settings and how they improve 4k/eshift.

That said, if someone was committed to buying an Envy, I'd probably say forget the Panny and put the money towards that. However, it's tough to be 100% committed to an Envy when the price is unknown and will likely turn out higher than any of us have in mind.
idratherbeflying likes this.
5mark is offline  
post #31938 of 32086 Old 07-04-2019, 02:54 PM
Advanced Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2015
Posts: 955
Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 628 Post(s)
Liked: 335
Quote:
Originally Posted by 5mark View Post
On typical titles the Panny should be similar or slightly better than a custom curve. The big advantage is problem/darker titles(like Logan) and being able to tweak/improve them. I'm also a fan of the sharpness settings and how they improve 4k/eshift.



That said, if someone was committed to buying an Envy, I'd probably say forget the Panny and put the money towards that. However, it's tough to be 100% committed to an Envy when the price is unknown and will likely turn out higher than any of us have in mind.
Well from what I've been told is that the envy will do dynamic tone mapping and supposedly that looks way better than anything..

If the Panasonic is a tad better then I'll keep it and I'll sell the oppo and maybe making a few hundred bucks out of it which will go towards the envy.. lol







Sent from my SM-G930T using Tapatalk
jorgebetancourt is online now  
post #31939 of 32086 Old 07-05-2019, 01:54 PM
Senior Member
 
Jay7's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2005
Location: Central Pennsylvania
Posts: 325
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 13 Post(s)
Liked: 12
I have a 500. Went to turn on and bulb did not light. Lamp light then was flashing. Thought this was odd as only have few hundred hours on bulb. Unplugged, took lamp cover off, unscrewed lamp, inspected. Looked good. Screwed back in and it worked. A couple months later, same thing. Same inspection, screwed back in and worked. Another few months later same thing happened again yesterday. Did same thing and now works again. Any thoughts what might cause it?

Also, stripped the lamp screw from trying to get it tight thinking maybe for some reason it is loosening. Any thoughts on removing the screw. I seem to have made the screw worse now.
Jay7 is offline  
post #31940 of 32086 Old 07-06-2019, 10:52 AM
Advanced Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2015
Posts: 955
Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 628 Post(s)
Liked: 335
[QUOTE=Dreamliner;58253980]I personally think yes. The tittles will look much better.


Dreamliner i got the player and yes my god everything does look better and yes significantly better.. I can't even imagine what Madvr Envy will do with dynamic tone mapping.. Anyhow im going to let go of my oppo but its not easy i tell you.. The panasonic ub820 looks like it came out of a bubblegum machine while the oppo looks like it was built by Nasa space agency or by the Russians..

The built on these thing is a joke and the aps window looks like it was build on windows 1.0 lol.. Thank god the image is all what you said it is but as soon as i can get my hands on one with an idmi in and all the options that the oppo has i will buy that too..

By the way im running mines on a rs640 should i use gamma 2.4 like you are or something different..

Last edited by jorgebetancourt; 07-06-2019 at 11:52 AM.
jorgebetancourt is online now  
post #31941 of 32086 Old 07-06-2019, 11:30 AM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
Dreamliner's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2009
Location: Minnesota
Posts: 2,144
Mentioned: 24 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1422 Post(s)
Liked: 747
Quote:
Originally Posted by jorgebetancourt View Post
Dreamliner i got the player and yes my god everything does look better and yest significantly better.. I can't even imagine what Madvr Envy will to with dynamic tone mapping.. Anyhow im going to let go of my oppo but its not easy i tell you.. The panasonic ub820 looks like it came out of a bubblegum machine while the oppo looks like it was built by Nasa space agency or by the Russians..

The built on these thing is a joke and the aps window looks like it was build on windows 1.0 lol.. Thank god the image all what you said it is but as soon as i can get my hands on one with an idmi in and all the options that the oppo has i will buy that too..

By the way im running mines on a rs640 should i use gamma 2.4 like you are or something different..
I promised no hyperbole. The UB820 truly is king.

The build quality thing doesn't bother me as much. My components sit on a shelf and do not move their entire life. I'm fine with plastics instead of metal. Heck the UB820 uses physical buttons whereas my old UB900 used capacitive touch buttons. I prefer the physical buttons because they're more reliable/predictable. I don't really use the apps at all, 4K discs only. I have a nVidia Shield for streaming. To be fair, how do the Oppo streaming apps look.

Panasonic could make a HDMI Input/Output box with the same SDR2020, Tone Mapping HDR Optimizer & Range Slider configuration options and sell it for $600 and I'll be the first in line.


You really have two options:

1) Use the UB820 in SDR mode just like I have mine set up in my JVC/UB820 Recommended Settings Guide

2) Try HDR by modifying the above settings as follows:

On the UB820:
Settings>HDMI>Advanced>HDR/Color Gamut Output>SDR/BT.2020 change to HDR/BT.2020

On the JVC Projector:
Menu>Picture Adjust>Gamma>Correction Value>2.4 change to custom/premade Gamma (like JAVSV3)

I've not compared the two super closely but I suspect I will prefer my recommended settings. When I do compare I'll post something about it I'm sure.

I know the RS6xx & RS5xx models have a color filter the RS4xx does not and I'm not quite sure how that changes the UB820 settings, hopefully someone can chime in on that piece.
Dreamliner is online now  
post #31942 of 32086 Old 07-06-2019, 01:34 PM
Advanced Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2015
Posts: 955
Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 628 Post(s)
Liked: 335
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dreamliner View Post
I promised no hyperbole. The UB820 truly is king.



The build quality thing doesn't bother me as much. My components sit on a shelf and do not move their entire life. I'm fine with plastics instead of metal. Heck the UB820 uses physical buttons whereas my old UB900 used capacitive touch buttons. I prefer the physical buttons because they're more reliable/predictable. I don't really use the apps at all, 4K discs only. I have a nVidia Shield for streaming. To be fair, how do the Oppo streaming apps look.



Panasonic could make a HDMI Input/Output box with the same SDR2020, Tone Mapping HDR Optimizer & Range Slider configuration options and sell it for $600 and I'll be the first in line.





You really have two options:



1) Use the UB820 in SDR mode just like I have mine set up in my JVC/UB820 Recommended Settings Guide



2) Try HDR by modifying the above settings as follows:



On the UB820:

Settings>HDMI>Advanced>HDR/Color Gamut Output>SDR/BT.2020 change to HDR/BT.2020



On the JVC Projector:

Menu>Picture Adjust>Gamma>Correction Value>2.4 change to custom/premade Gamma (like JAVSV3)



I've not compared the two super closely but I suspect I will prefer my recommended settings. When I do compare I'll post something about it I'm sure.



I know the RS6xx & RS5xx models have a color filter the RS4xx does not and I'm not quite sure how that changes the UB820 settings, hopefully someone can chime in on that piece.
My apps where on my roku going through the oppos input and not one app was missing I had them all... lol
You know this would be great if someone can verified we can use Javs curvs with HDR bt2020 on the Panasonic.. As it is now when I change from the Panasonic to streaming through the roku I have to change to a custom curve. If I can use Javs custom curves on the Pani then I dont have to change anything when I go to streaming.

Sent from my SM-G930T using Tapatalk
jorgebetancourt is online now  
post #31943 of 32086 Old 07-06-2019, 01:56 PM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
Dreamliner's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2009
Location: Minnesota
Posts: 2,144
Mentioned: 24 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1422 Post(s)
Liked: 747
Quote:
Originally Posted by jorgebetancourt View Post
My apps where on my roku going through the oppos input and not one app was missing I had them all... lol
You know this would be great if someone can verified we can use Javs curvs with HDR bt2020 on the Panasonic.. As it is now when I change from the Panasonic to streaming through the roku I have to change to a custom curve. If I can use Javs custom curves on the Pani then I dont have to change anything when I go to streaming.
I know for 100% certain you can use the JAVS curves on the UB820 with a RSx00 projector. You might have inadvertently answered my question of if the JAVS curves work on the RSx40 projectors if you already have it loaded...

Just make those changes two I mentioned above and compare HDR2020+Custom Gamma vs SDR2020+Gamma 2.4 and see what you prefer.

I had so many problems with disc-to-disc brightness differences that I went straight to SDR2020. Who knows, perhaps HDR with the secret sauce of the HDR Optimizer and the "HDR TV Type>Basic Luminance LCD and Projector" setting from my guide will be enough to make it a quality alternative.

I just know that with my recommended settings in SDR2020+Gamma 2.4 I haven't had to make a single PQ adjustment since I configured it that way almost a year ago.
Karl Maga likes this.
Dreamliner is online now  
post #31944 of 32086 Old 07-07-2019, 08:49 AM
Advanced Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2015
Posts: 955
Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 628 Post(s)
Liked: 335
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dreamliner View Post
I know for 100% certain you can use the JAVS curves on the UB820 with a RSx00 projector. You might have inadvertently answered my question of if the JAVS curves work on the RSx40 projectors if you already have it loaded...

Just make those changes two I mentioned above and compare HDR2020+Custom Gamma vs SDR2020+Gamma 2.4 and see what you prefer.

I had so many problems with disc-to-disc brightness differences that I went straight to SDR2020. Who knows, perhaps HDR with the secret sauce of the HDR Optimizer and the "HDR TV Type>Basic Luminance LCD and Projector" setting from my guide will be enough to make it a quality alternative.

I just know that with my recommended settings in SDR2020+Gamma 2.4 I haven't had to make a single PQ adjustment since I configured it that way almost a year ago.
I love your settings certain things do come out to light that i didnt know where there before but im going to try javs curves another day.. My wife thinks im freaking crazy with this projector thing so i have to back off for a few days so can look normal to her.. lol
Anyhow thanks so much for your recommendation, really.. I'll be back in a few days.. lol
jorgebetancourt is online now  
post #31945 of 32086 Old 07-10-2019, 07:34 PM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
DLCPhoto's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2003
Location: Mooresville, NC
Posts: 2,390
Mentioned: 14 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1589 Post(s)
Liked: 712
I am implementing a Control4 system in my home, including my theater. I'm controlling my JVC (RS400) with IR, and it generally works fine.

I have a couple of buttons on the C4 remote programmed for Lens Memory 1 and Lens Memory 2, since these are defined functions available on the JVC Remote, and are easily configurable within Control4.

But since I have 3 other Lens Memory settings configured, it would be great if I could program in discrete codes to access at least some of those directly. I've been googling in general, threads here, checking IR Code databases, etc., but can't find what I'm looking for.

Does anybody know if there are long hex IR codes available for Lens Memory slots 3 through 5 for this or similar series of JVC projectors?

I know I can call up the Lens Memory menu, and scroll down through them to select the one I want, and have codes to accomplish that, but it would be much better to have direct access.

Is this possible, and if so, where can I find the codes?

Thanks!

JVC RS400, Marantz SR7010, Screen Innovations 160" 2.35:1 Screen
Front L/R: Duntech Sovereigns, powered by 2 bridged Adcom GFA-555
Center: Revel C208 powered by Cambridge Audio Azur 851W
Dolby Bed (4): Sony Core SS-CS5, Atmos (4): Ascend Acoustics CBM-170 SE
Subwoofer: DIY 8' sub with 4 18" SI Drivers, powered by iNuke 6000
DLCPhoto is online now  
post #31946 of 32086 Old 07-10-2019, 08:12 PM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
Dave Vaughn's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2002
Location: Vacaville, CA
Posts: 5,985
Mentioned: 29 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1465 Post(s)
Liked: 2284
Quote:
Originally Posted by DLCPhoto View Post
I am implementing a Control4 system in my home, including my theater. I'm controlling my JVC (RS400) with IR, and it generally works fine.

I have a couple of buttons on the C4 remote programmed for Lens Memory 1 and Lens Memory 2, since these are defined functions available on the JVC Remote, and are easily configurable within Control4.

But since I have 3 other Lens Memory settings configured, it would be great if I could program in discrete codes to access at least some of those directly. I've been googling in general, threads here, checking IR Code databases, etc., but can't find what I'm looking for.

Does anybody know if there are long hex IR codes available for Lens Memory slots 3 through 5 for this or similar series of JVC projectors?

I know I can call up the Lens Memory menu, and scroll down through them to select the one I want, and have codes to accomplish that, but it would be much better to have direct access.

Is this possible, and if so, where can I find the codes?

Thanks!
Hopefully this uploads, but it has all of the HEX codes for the various commands. I've used a number of them with URC when their "stock" commands didn't work properly.
Attached Files
File Type: pdf 2014 D-ILA Remote Code.pdf (63.7 KB, 6 views)

David Vaughn Blu-ray Reviewer / Technical Writer Sound & Vision Magazine (Print & Online)
Dave Vaughn is offline  
post #31947 of 32086 Old 07-11-2019, 03:54 AM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
DLCPhoto's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2003
Location: Mooresville, NC
Posts: 2,390
Mentioned: 14 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1589 Post(s)
Liked: 712
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave Vaughn View Post
Hopefully this uploads, but it has all of the HEX codes for the various commands. I've used a number of them with URC when their "stock" commands didn't work properly.
Hey Dave,

Thanks for this. I actually came across this last night, and while I didn't have time to test them out, I did compare a couple of these codes with what was in the Control4 system for those same functions, and they were different. So I thought that these weren't the right ones.

I'll have time today to fire it up and see if they work.

Thanks again.

Don

JVC RS400, Marantz SR7010, Screen Innovations 160" 2.35:1 Screen
Front L/R: Duntech Sovereigns, powered by 2 bridged Adcom GFA-555
Center: Revel C208 powered by Cambridge Audio Azur 851W
Dolby Bed (4): Sony Core SS-CS5, Atmos (4): Ascend Acoustics CBM-170 SE
Subwoofer: DIY 8' sub with 4 18" SI Drivers, powered by iNuke 6000
DLCPhoto is online now  
post #31948 of 32086 Old 07-11-2019, 06:31 AM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
DLCPhoto's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2003
Location: Mooresville, NC
Posts: 2,390
Mentioned: 14 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1589 Post(s)
Liked: 712
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave Vaughn View Post
Hopefully this uploads, but it has all of the HEX codes for the various commands. I've used a number of them with URC when their "stock" commands didn't work properly.
Quote:
Originally Posted by DLCPhoto View Post
Hey Dave,

Thanks for this. I actually came across this last night, and while I didn't have time to test them out, I did compare a couple of these codes with what was in the Control4 system for those same functions, and they were different. So I thought that these weren't the right ones.

I'll have time today to fire it up and see if they work.

Thanks again.

Don
Just tested it out, and unfortunately, I tried the codes for both Lens Memory 3 and 4, and they didn't seem to have any effect.

That PDF shows up to 10 Lens Memory 'slots' while the RS400 (and I'm not sure what other models) only has 5. That suggests that these codes aren't necessarily going to work with this projector.

Has anybody successfully found and used long hex codes for Lens Memory slots other than the 1 and 2, which have dedicated buttons on the remote, in their systems?

JVC RS400, Marantz SR7010, Screen Innovations 160" 2.35:1 Screen
Front L/R: Duntech Sovereigns, powered by 2 bridged Adcom GFA-555
Center: Revel C208 powered by Cambridge Audio Azur 851W
Dolby Bed (4): Sony Core SS-CS5, Atmos (4): Ascend Acoustics CBM-170 SE
Subwoofer: DIY 8' sub with 4 18" SI Drivers, powered by iNuke 6000
DLCPhoto is online now  
post #31949 of 32086 Old 07-11-2019, 07:47 AM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
Dave Vaughn's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2002
Location: Vacaville, CA
Posts: 5,985
Mentioned: 29 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1465 Post(s)
Liked: 2284
Quote:
Originally Posted by DLCPhoto View Post
Just tested it out, and unfortunately, I tried the codes for both Lens Memory 3 and 4, and they didn't seem to have any effect.

That PDF shows up to 10 Lens Memory 'slots' while the RS400 (and I'm not sure what other models) only has 5. That suggests that these codes aren't necessarily going to work with this projector.

Has anybody successfully found and used long hex codes for Lens Memory slots other than the 1 and 2, which have dedicated buttons on the remote, in their systems?
Sorry about that Don. Let me check with my contact at JVC.
DLCPhoto likes this.

David Vaughn Blu-ray Reviewer / Technical Writer Sound & Vision Magazine (Print & Online)
Dave Vaughn is offline  
post #31950 of 32086 Old 07-11-2019, 10:07 AM
Pip
Advanced Member
 
Pip's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2001
Location: Pittsburgh, PA
Posts: 865
Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 329 Post(s)
Liked: 148
Quote:
Originally Posted by DLCPhoto View Post
I am implementing a Control4 system in my home, including my theater. I'm controlling my JVC (RS400) with IR, and it generally works fine.

I have a couple of buttons on the C4 remote programmed for Lens Memory 1 and Lens Memory 2, since these are defined functions available on the JVC Remote, and are easily configurable within Control4.

But since I have 3 other Lens Memory settings configured, it would be great if I could program in discrete codes to access at least some of those directly. I've been googling in general, threads here, checking IR Code databases, etc., but can't find what I'm looking for.

Does anybody know if there are long hex IR codes available for Lens Memory slots 3 through 5 for this or similar series of JVC projectors?

I know I can call up the Lens Memory menu, and scroll down through them to select the one I want, and have codes to accomplish that, but it would be much better to have direct access.

Is this possible, and if so, where can I find the codes?

Thanks!
I have an RS 500 and a Harmony remote. I had the same issue and was able to add a third lens memory by adding the RS 640 as a device. I can’t remember if the 640 has three dedicated memory buttons, or if the harmony database has more memory options. But by transferring the command over from the 640, I got direct access to the third memory.

I have no idea how the C4 system works. I’m posting just in case something like this may work for you.

Good luck,

Pip
Pip is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
Reply Digital Hi-End Projectors - $3,000+ USD MSRP

Tags
jvc-rs500u synch/display issue? , RS600

Thread Tools
Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page


Forum Jump: 

Posting Rules  
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off