Official JVC RS600 / RS500 (X950R / X750R - X9000 / X7000) Owners Thread - Page 1083 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 
 84961Likes

post #32461 of 32471 Old 02-14-2020, 07:12 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 133 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 5942 Post(s)
Liked: 4012
Quote:
Originally Posted by p.laver View Post
Hi, I need some help, I have JVC X9000 projector that is just under 4 yrs and it has developed the following fault:
Out of the 4 installation modes, the projector works OK on the 2 upright modes, and exhibits the fault on both the inverted positions (Installation setting)
This needs the main PCB board & DD PCB, X9000 replaced Part numbers
XD1-0155-50 & XD1-0175-50 at a cost of just under $1800 AUD.

I consider this a major failure. I have emailed customer service/Support here Australia last Monday and informed them about the failure and would they consider this an acceptable failure for such a high value product and would they consider and 'Gesture of Goodwill' repair through the JVC repair centre they recommended I use when I first contacted them ab out the fault.

To-date I haven't received a response not even an acknowledgment of the receiving the email. This isn't unusual for Australian based companies. That said I would like to try escalate this within JVC.

This is reason for posting here to gauge whether I'm being unreasonable or not and if anyone here has another contact email address for JVC as it seem a pointless trying again through the JVC Australian Support.
How have you determined that you need a new board from just this? I think it's a far jump from seeing these symptoms to knowing which part you need unless you've done a lot of deep dive troubleshooting that you didn't list here. Personally, I think it is unreasonable to expect JVC to replace (for free) a part for a projector after the warranty period. For one thing, its unlikely they even have these parts any longer. Part of the reason warranties are limited is so that companies can move forward and not stockpile every part they ever made forever etc.

I think if this were my projector, I'd find a way to use it in a way that it works. For example, if it works right-side-up only, I'd make my ceiling mount right side up and be done. (See my avatar picture).
rossandwendy and Mike Garrett like this.

Video: JVC RS4500 135" ST130 G4 screen in batcave, htpc nvidia 1080ti madVR.
Audio: Anthem mrx720 running 7.1.4, McIntosh MC-303, MC-152, B&W 802d3 LR, B&W HTM1D3 center, B&W 805d3 surround, B&W 702S2 rear, B&W 706s2 x 4 shelf mounted for atmos, Infinite Baffle Subs 4x15 fi audio running on behringer ep4000 + 2x12 fi audio mounted in main chair firing into back.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #32462 of 32471 Old 02-18-2020, 06:32 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked: 0
Quote:
Originally Posted by ScottAvery View Post
I can't speak to what they will do for you. I assume your warranty was only 3 years for that? Did you happen to purchase with a credit card that extends your warranty? Here in the US some cards offer that service. My AmEx adds 1 year and Citi card adds 2 years.

Is your projector actually inverted when it is failing for you or are you just cycling the modes and it fails in that mode regardless of physical orientation? I ask only because my first projector, from years ago, had the same fault but it was the bulb starting to fail. It would operate upright but fail when inverted.
No I paid cash, the inverted failure is all the time. if I switch to table-top install it fine.
post #32463 of 32471 Old 02-18-2020, 06:42 PM

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked: 0
Quote:
Originally Posted by markmon1 View Post
How have you determined that you need a new board from just this? I think it's a far jump from seeing these symptoms to knowing which part you need unless you've done a lot of deep dive troubleshooting that you didn't list here. Personally, I think it is unreasonable to expect JVC to replace (for free) a part for a projector after the warranty period. For one thing, its unlikely they even have these parts any longer. Part of the reason warranties are limited is so that companies can move forward and not stockpile every part they ever made forever etc.

I think if this were my projector, I'd find a way to use it in a way that it works. For example, if it works right-side-up only, I'd make my ceiling mount right side up and be done. (See my avatar picture).
The projector has being fully inspected by JVC authorized repairer. He's identified the inverter driver has failed. The fix is a new PCB. JVC have the parts and they more than willing to ship over from Japan. This is a high end projector and manufactures know how long there products will last because they are tested. The JVC contact I finally spoke with yesterday agreed that he would not expect this type of failure during the time period I've mentioned which is backed up by the hours usage etc. that he did offer 10% off the price of PCB

I do have the option of flipping the wall bracket so that I can use the table-top installation.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #32464 of 32471 Old 02-18-2020, 07:30 PM

Quoted: 130 Post(s)
Liked: 41
Quote:
Originally Posted by p.laver View Post
The projector has being fully inspected by JVC authorized repairer. He's identified the inverter driver has failed. The fix is a new PCB. JVC have the parts and they more than willing to ship over from Japan. This is a high end projector and manufactures know how long there products will last because they are tested. The JVC contact I finally spoke with yesterday agreed that he would not expect this type of failure during the time period I've mentioned which is backed up by the hours usage etc. that he did offer 10% off the price of PCB

I do have the option of flipping the wall bracket so that I can use the table-top installation.
If it is only 4 years old you may be covered by Australian consumer guarantees so if JVC Australia are not helpful (I would be surprised if they were) I would contact them and see what they have to say.

I also have the contact number of the Australian JVC sales and service co-ordinator but I think you probably have already spoken to him as he seems to be the only contact we have here in Australia and in short he is pretty much useless. Let me know and I can PM you his details.
post #32465 of 32471 Old 02-18-2020, 08:10 PM
AVS Forum Addicted Member

Mentioned: 278 Post(s)
Quoted: 13221 Post(s)
Liked: 10838
Send a message via Skype™ to Mike Garrett
Projector is four years old and works if right side up. I would just shelf mount it, like markmon suggested earlier.
post #32466 of 32471 Old 02-22-2020, 10:36 PM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 17 Post(s)
Liked: 26
If anyone has a genuine jvc lamp for an rs500 sitting around new in box and wouldn't mind selling let me know via pm
post #32467 of 32471 Old 02-24-2020, 07:24 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 31 Post(s)
Quoted: 1519 Post(s)
Liked: 812
I just reached 4501 hours on my original lamp. My usage is mostly low lamp. 3D is always high lamp, HD is always low lamp. 4K was usually high lamp before SDR2020, now it’s usually low lamp. I honestly still have zero brightness complaints with HD or SDR2020 and would gladly keep going if I was 100% certain a lamp failure would not harm the projector. At this point I'm going to call it on this lamp (but I'll keep it as a spare). I bought a brand new genuine JVC replacement lamp from another forum member (projector died) and also got his original lamp with about 2000 hours on it. Before I open a sealed replacement, I'll run the numbers up on this "used" ~2000 hour lamp...it still has 2000+ hours of life left!

I think the lesson to learn here is these lamps can go quite a bit further than originally thought. I know JVC rates them for 4400 hours but I've seen posts from people looking for replacement lamps when they barely have 1000 hours on the projector. Even the automatic "replace lamp" warning comes on at only 3400 hours. My suggestion: keep running your lamps until they hit 3400 hours at minimum, but join me in the 4000+ hour club!

I've tried a few other lamps but I'm now fully convinced Genuine JVC is the only way to go.

Here are the numbers:

4501 Hours:

Low Lamp
223 Lux
754 Lumens
22.79 ftL
78.08 Nits

High Lamp
307 Lux
1039 Lumens
31.38 ftL
107.51 Nits

Replacement Genuine JVC Lamp with about 2000 Hours:

Low Lamp
250 Lux
846 Lumens
25.55ftL
87.54Nits

High Lamp
345 Lux
1167 Lumens
35.26 ftL
120.80 Nits
Craig Peer likes this.
post #32468 of 32471 Old 02-24-2020, 07:44 PM

Mentioned: 179 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 5554 Post(s)
Liked: 6006
That's awesome on the lamp life! i'm only at 2600 hours and have plenty to go on this lamp.

now for something to really get excited about, start thinking about setting up that HTPC to check out MadVR and check out some real tone mapping

every time I watch an HDR movie, it's hard to believe this has been the same projector for the last few years. I went back to some of the custom curves and fired up the UB820, there is really no comparison and wouldn't bother with HDR as much if it wasn't for what MadVR is capable of today. Now I can't wait to see what it's going to do for the next movie! an amazing product, honeymoon is nowhere near over, it's just getting started.
Craig Peer likes this.
post #32469 of 32471 Old 02-24-2020, 08:21 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 31 Post(s)
Quoted: 1519 Post(s)
Liked: 812
Quote:
Originally Posted by zombie10k View Post
now for something to really get excited about, start thinking about setting up that HTPC to check out MadVR and check out some real tone mapping
I have the gear (except a 4K drive to rip). I should probably poke around and find a fool-proof A-to-Z DIY guide for setting it up.
post #32470 of 32471 Old 02-24-2020, 09:11 PM

Mentioned: 179 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 5554 Post(s)
Liked: 6006
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dreamliner View Post
I have the gear (except a 4K drive to rip). I should probably poke around and find a fool-proof A-to-Z DIY guide for setting it up.
it's pretty straight forward. Nvidia drivers get installed, I'm using latest version.

baseline version of MadVR is installed http://madshi.net/madVR.zip

then updated with latest build (take updated files, overwrite existing files in MadVR folder)

http://madshi.net/madVRhdrMeasure113.zip

LAV filters need to be installed and configured.

https://www.videohelp.com/download/L...-Installer.exe

LAV video settings:

LAV audio settings:

Using MPC-HC latest build here for the media player:

https://www.videohelp.com/software/M...ic-Home-Cinema

madVR baseline settings. On the projector, set it to 2.4 gamma and the BT2020 color profile.

In MadVR HDR settings - Display peak luminance is the actual NITS you have in your environment / screen set. tweak the dynamic target nits to your brightness preference. I keep it at 100 with the HP screen but would lower it if I had a lower gain screen.

I use Kodi with MPC-HC + MadVR configured as the back end player and navigate the Kodi user interface with a microsoft media center remote control.

Control J while playing back will display the real time data on what's happening on a frame by frame basis. I am guilty of watching 1/2 a movie with this turned on just to see what's happening in the background.

post #32471 of 32471 Old 02-24-2020, 10:57 PM

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 205 Post(s)
Liked: 288
So I'm still running the RS:600 with Panamorph Paladin lens with the Panasonic 9000. Guess I'm still happy with it as I haven't really seen better in person with the new stuff that's out there, but was wondering where the sweet spot for an upgrade would be. Would there be enough wow factor to go up to the RS2000?

JMAX Home Theatre
Spoiler!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply Digital Hi-End Projectors - $3,000+ USD MSRP

Tags
jvc-rs500u synch/display issue? , RS600

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page