Official JVC RS600 / RS500 (X950R / X750R - X9000 / X7000) Owners Thread - Page 1090 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 
 85080Likes
Reply
 
Thread Tools
post #32671 of 32683 Old 05-19-2020, 07:32 PM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
nathan_h's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2001
Posts: 9,707
Mentioned: 45 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2956 Post(s)
Liked: 2081
Very similar. Same generation just refined for two more years?


My current setup.
Recommended podcasts: The Next Picture Show, the /filmcast, AV Rant.
nathan_h is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #32672 of 32683 Old 05-19-2020, 07:34 PM
AVS Forum Addicted Member
 
zombie10k's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Posts: 13,215
Mentioned: 184 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 5668 Post(s)
Liked: 6229
Quote:
Originally Posted by R Harkness View Post
QUESTION:

Is the RS600 still the highest native contrast consumer (or at least JVC) projector produced?

I've kept mine and only dipped in to threads occasionally over the years and from what I've seen the following models - laser based and/or true 4K - had to take a back-step in native contrast. Have I missed anything?

I'm still not chomping at the bit for another projector - it would be very hard for me to give up the contrast/black levels I'm used to.
imo it still is. I recently calibrated and measured the contrast with a Minolta T10

wide open iris Native 48K:1 and 500K+:1 with the DI. When I had the RS2000 here, the DI was in the ~220K:1 range, the dynamic iris doesn't close as much as the RS600 (by quite a bit) and left me wanting more in the low and very low APL scenes. The reduced clamping of the DI in the native models was done to reduce pumping but I don't have any concerns with the RS600 DI and use it all the time with SDR and HDR content. It digs down deep when it needs to for a convincing black floor in the very low APL scenes.

This is still one of my favorites over the years and picked up a low hour spare in case something happens to it.



There are many years of life left in these projectors
Mocs123, IMDave and mavang like this.
zombie10k is online now  
post #32673 of 32683 Old 05-19-2020, 08:17 PM
Senior Member
 
Dennis Moore's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2011
Posts: 275
Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 119 Post(s)
Liked: 24
Wow, so is that significantly more than the 500?
Dennis Moore is online now  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #32674 of 32683 Old 05-19-2020, 08:55 PM
AVS Forum Addicted Member
 
zombie10k's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Posts: 13,215
Mentioned: 184 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 5668 Post(s)
Liked: 6229
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dennis Moore View Post
Wow, so is that significantly more than the 500?
hi, not really, i've seen RS500's in the 40K-43K:1 range and ~430-450K:1 DI. It really depends on the sample quality of the specific unit which can vary quite a bit sometimes.

These RS600's are very nice copies. excellent focus across the entire screen, no convergence corrections needed and very good panel uniformity.
nathan_h likes this.
zombie10k is online now  
post #32675 of 32683 Old 05-20-2020, 11:28 AM
AVS Forum Addicted Member
 
R Harkness's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2001
Location: Toronto, Ontario, Canada
Posts: 15,259
Mentioned: 20 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2885 Post(s)
Liked: 2855
Quote:
Originally Posted by zombie10k View Post
imo it still is. I recently calibrated and measured the contrast with a Minolta T10

wide open iris Native 48K:1 and 500K+:1 with the DI. When I had the RS2000 here, the DI was in the ~220K:1 range, the dynamic iris doesn't close as much as the RS600 (by quite a bit) and left me wanting more in the low and very low APL scenes. The reduced clamping of the DI in the native models was done to reduce pumping but I don't have any concerns with the RS600 DI and use it all the time with SDR and HDR content. It digs down deep when it needs to for a convincing black floor in the very low APL scenes.

This is still one of my favorites over the years and picked up a low hour spare in case something happens to it.



There are many years of life left in these projectors

Thanks zombie, that's what I figured.


I love the automatic iris on the RS600. I can certainly see it working in certain conditions, especially some credits, but otherwise it does a really nice job. If you have a night scene with some high contrast elements the contrast effect makes the black level appear deep. Then if that's followed by a low APL night shot, the lack of contrast without a dynamic iris reveals higher black levels to the eye. But with the dynamic iris, it closes down making the black levels deeper again. The effect is that deep black levels appear more consistent across varying scenes, with an over all impression of better black levels. I watch lots of sci-fi and horror movies, so the contrast and dynamic iris of the RS600 reap very nice benefits.
R Harkness is online now  
post #32676 of 32683 Old 05-20-2020, 05:54 PM
Senior Member
 
jimmyp1974's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2014
Posts: 377
Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 197 Post(s)
Liked: 21
So I was debating too weather ‘upgrade’ to a RS500 from a 420. In a not dedicated room with white walls but completely dark what difference I would definitely see between the two let’s say when both properly calibrated and with the lens wide open in both? I am trying to understand weather keep the 420 or try the 500. Any suggestions? Thank you very much. Ps. I am not a gamer and I can calibrate the projector
jimmyp1974 is online now  
post #32677 of 32683 Old 05-20-2020, 06:06 PM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
nathan_h's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2001
Posts: 9,707
Mentioned: 45 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2956 Post(s)
Liked: 2081
Which has more hours on it? Any repairs on either? How much to upgrade?

What are the trade offs?

What other upgrades are on the table? Paint? A second sub? Room treatments?

It’s not a big upgrade so there are possibly far more impactful ways to spend a thousand dollars.


My current setup.
Recommended podcasts: The Next Picture Show, the /filmcast, AV Rant.
nathan_h is offline  
post #32678 of 32683 Old 05-20-2020, 07:15 PM
Senior Member
 
jimmyp1974's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2014
Posts: 377
Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 197 Post(s)
Liked: 21
The 500 has almost 600 hours on the original first lamp. It has also custom curves upload in. But since I am using a Panasonic player 420 I don’t plan to use the high lamp on the jvc. In this way I could only keep lens wide open but in low lamp for SDR2020 ‘mapped’ by the player. In other words I think I may have much more contrast even in a living room environment. The point is will I notice this difference? Of course not switching on HDR mode high lamp on the 500 will exclude also the filter which is actually one of the pros of the 500 compared to the 420
jimmyp1974 is online now  
post #32679 of 32683 Old 05-20-2020, 08:49 PM
Senior Member
 
Dennis Moore's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2011
Posts: 275
Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 119 Post(s)
Liked: 24
Quote:
Originally Posted by nathan_h View Post
Which has more hours on it? Any repairs on either? How much to upgrade?

What are the trade offs?

What other upgrades are on the table? Paint? A second sub? Room treatments?

It’s not a big upgrade so there are possibly far more impactful ways to spend a thousand dollars.
It's weird to me to again hear this... just going by the stated specs, it should be a significant improvement in picture quality.
Dennis Moore is online now  
post #32680 of 32683 Old 05-20-2020, 10:25 PM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
nathan_h's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2001
Posts: 9,707
Mentioned: 45 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2956 Post(s)
Liked: 2081
Quote:
Originally Posted by jimmyp1974 View Post
The 500 has almost 600 hours on the original first lamp. It has also custom curves upload in. But since I am using a Panasonic player 420 I don’t plan to use the high lamp on the jvc. In this way I could only keep lens wide open but in low lamp for SDR2020 ‘mapped’ by the player. In other words I think I may have much more contrast even in a living room environment. The point is will I notice this difference? Of course not switching on HDR mode high lamp on the 500 will exclude also the filter which is actually one of the pros of the 500 compared to the 420
Custom curves are great. But the curve that works best in one room, for one screen size and one particular amount of gain, and even one particular amount of white ceilings, is going to be different than the curve that works in another room, with a different screen size, with a different screen gain, etc. and it drifts over the life of the bulb (gamma droop).

And of course if you map to SDR then you won’t use the custom curve, you’ll just use a regular SDR gamma like 2.4 or 1886 etc.

And if you want to use low lamp mode then my experience, even with a professional calibration, is that rec2020 is not worth shooting for.

Maybe buy the second projector and try it out and sell one of them?


My current setup.
Recommended podcasts: The Next Picture Show, the /filmcast, AV Rant.

Last edited by nathan_h; 05-20-2020 at 10:29 PM.
nathan_h is offline  
post #32681 of 32683 Old 05-20-2020, 10:27 PM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
nathan_h's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2001
Posts: 9,707
Mentioned: 45 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2956 Post(s)
Liked: 2081
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dennis Moore View Post
It's weird to me to again hear this... just going by the stated specs, it should be a significant improvement in picture quality.
Hopefully some other folks will chime in.

Early in this thread I believe some folks shared impressions and measured results....or maybe that was in the RS400 thread?


My current setup.
Recommended podcasts: The Next Picture Show, the /filmcast, AV Rant.
nathan_h is offline  
post #32682 of 32683 Old 05-21-2020, 11:07 AM
Senior Member
 
jimmyp1974's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2014
Posts: 377
Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 197 Post(s)
Liked: 21
Hi just a quick question: is the filter automatically enabled switching to high lamp only with HDR or with all other picture modes too? Thank you
jimmyp1974 is online now  
post #32683 of 32683 Old 05-21-2020, 12:47 PM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2014
Location: Mississauga, ON, Canada
Posts: 8,526
Mentioned: 187 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 6130 Post(s)
Liked: 2543
Quote:
Originally Posted by jimmyp1974 View Post
Hi just a quick question: is the filter automatically enabled switching to high lamp only with HDR or with all other picture modes too? Thank you
The filter has nothing to do with lamp power. It is engaged automatically when a colour profile requires it is selected.
Dominic Chan is online now  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
Reply Digital Hi-End Projectors - $3,000+ USD MSRP

Tags
jvc-rs500u synch/display issue? , RS600

Thread Tools
Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page


Forum Jump: 

Posting Rules  
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off