Official JVC RS600 / RS500 (X950R / X750R - X9000 / X7000) Owners Thread - Page 150 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 
 84693Likes

post #4471 of 31985 Old 01-12-2016, 11:41 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 43 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2724 Post(s)
Liked: 1956
The manual describes the different auto aperture/iris settings with words i do not understand. Gradation versus contrast?

I think i see less pumping and dimming of credits with auto 1. Am i imagining that?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4472 of 31985 Old 01-13-2016, 12:12 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 28 Post(s)
Quoted: 2205 Post(s)
Liked: 766
Quote:
Originally Posted by nathan_h View Post
The manual describes the different auto aperture/iris settings with words i do not understand. Gradation versus contrast?

I think i see less pumping and dimming of credits with auto 1. Am i imagining that?
I see pumping on white credits black background on auto 1 and 2, I don't see it at all on my VW1100.
Mind you the DI on the Sony is better!

Murray Thompson
X Owner RapalloAV
Absolutly no connection with RapalloNZ
CinemascopE Home Cinema Build & 2014 rebuild, plus new LED ceiling install Christmas 2018
post #4473 of 31985 Old 01-13-2016, 02:30 AM

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quoted: 1133 Post(s)
Liked: 729
Quote:
Originally Posted by RapalloAV View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by nathan_h View Post

I see pumping on white credits black background on auto 1 and 2, I don't see it at all on my VW1100.
Look at Zero Dark Thirty when they attack Osamas house, Harry Potter 7 part 2 when Hohwarts is attacked, many scenes in the last Godzilla, Equaliser++ and tell me what you think of the different irises then. The Sony have some streghts and weaknesses an so does the JVC. Pumping when showing credits is just normal, if it dont pump then it is not working correctly.
krichter1 and stef2 like this.

Last edited by Andreas21; 01-13-2016 at 02:54 AM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4474 of 31985 Old 01-13-2016, 04:42 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 95 Post(s)
Liked: 32
Andreas
I look forward at your findings regarding your JVC RS600.
When you will receive your unit?
post #4475 of 31985 Old 01-13-2016, 04:51 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 79 Post(s)
Quoted: 1802 Post(s)
Liked: 2120
I am, for the first time, considering the pursuit of the RS500 or 600. Quick question: is the brightness delta between the RS500 and RS600 meaningful? I ask because my screen is twelve feet wide and in 16:9 format, rendering adequate brightness critical. A brief projector history: Sony VPL-VW600ES, Sony 350ES, JVC RS56, JVC RS45, and Mitsubishi HC7000. Do you sense a trend here? A journey for the perfect picture. Of the projectors owned, the Sony 600 provided the best picture and it did a fine job of filling that 12'-wide screen area...I was planning on the Sony VPL-VW665 until recently stumbling across this thread after dismissing JVC this year for not having true 4k panels (the reason I jumped ship from JVC to Sony a couple of years ago). From what I'm reading, the true 4k panels don't mean much at this stage in the game? If I go JVC, I just want to make sure I pursue the right model...
post #4476 of 31985 Old 01-13-2016, 05:23 AM
AVS Forum Addicted Member

Mentioned: 232 Post(s)
Quoted: 11821 Post(s)
Liked: 9352
Send a message via Skype™ to Mike Garrett
Quote:
Originally Posted by coderguy View Post
I thought his issue was that he was saying that he could not exactly fill a 150" 2.35 screen 16 ft 2 in from the JVC Lens memory functionality?

Edit - My Calc and Lens Memory 2.35:
We just checked it and my calculator is correctly calculating the minimum 2.35 distances (according to throw ratios) for Lens Memory, but there is a bug with my 2.35 calcs when calculating the maximum distance. I will fix this. Some of the throw ratio settings have not been updated though, so double check throw ratio under the "advanced" tab for any PJ you are calculating 2.35 lens memory for, ensure it matches the manual or whatever.
Sorry, I should not have included your quote in there. I was referring to henrich. Only way a 500/600 would not have as good contrast/black level as a 57 is if you are running brighter.
post #4477 of 31985 Old 01-13-2016, 05:26 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 909 Post(s)
Liked: 862
Quote:
Originally Posted by BrolicBeast View Post
I am, for the first time, considering the pursuit of the RS500 or 600. Quick question: is the brightness delta between the RS500 and RS600 meaningful? I ask because my screen is twelve feet wide and in 16:9 format, rendering adequate brightness critical. A brief projector history: Sony VPL-VW600ES, Sony 350ES, JVC RS56, JVC RS45, and Mitsubishi HC7000. Do you sense a trend here? A journey for the perfect picture. Of the projectors owned, the Sony 600 provided the best picture and it did a fine job of filling that 12'-wide screen area...I was planning on the Sony VPL-VW665 until recently stumbling across this thread after dismissing JVC this year for not having true 4k panels (the reason I jumped ship from JVC to Sony a couple of years ago). From what I'm reading, the true 4k panels don't mean much at this stage in the game? If I go JVC, I just want to make sure I pursue the right model...
I don't think you'd have any trouble lighting up that screen, the RS500/600 are nice and bright. I think brighter than the Sony vw600 calibrated. Craig Peer has both the RS600 & the VW600, you should talk to him. Yes, you are correct in thinking it's more than just resolution of the projector.
post #4478 of 31985 Old 01-13-2016, 05:26 AM

Mentioned: 232 Post(s)
Quoted: 11821 Post(s)
Liked: 9352
Send a message via Skype™ to Mike Garrett
Quote:
Small difference in brightness between 500 and 600.
post #4479 of 31985 Old 01-13-2016, 05:30 AM

Mentioned: 62 Post(s)
Quoted: 2420 Post(s)
Liked: 1315
Quote:
I will chime in just for the heck of it.

The difference in brightness is not significant for the cost, but I would say you are on the border of needing a brighter projector, depends how often you mind replacing lamps. Personally, I would NOT go for the RS-600 in your situation, I would do the RS-400 or RS-500 and spend the difference on extra lamps. I assume you have a 1.0 gain screen, assuming that you are looking at about 16fL to 22fL in Lamp HIGH depending how far you mount the projector back. You will not be able to close the IRIS down all that much.

I would personally always like to start at a minimum of 20fL to 24fL in Lamp Low Best Mode, but that is just me. At your budget, you can just buy extra lamps instead of buying a projector that is only 100-200 Lumens Brighter (if it really is even that much brighter). It's hard to even know if it is true or not...

CG

**Updated Projector Calculator Released NOV 2017**
-- www.webprojectorcalculator.com --
post #4480 of 31985 Old 01-13-2016, 06:28 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tom Bley View Post
I don't think you'd have any trouble lighting up that screen, the RS500/600 are nice and bright. I think brighter than the Sony vw600 calibrated. Craig Peer has both the RS600 & the VW600, you should talk to him. Yes, you are correct in thinking it's more than just resolution of the projector.

Thanks! Will reach out to him and ask his opinion on brightness on a large screen area.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike Garrett View Post
Small difference in brightness between 500 and 600.

Thanks Mike--I wasn't sure if that 100 lumens was noticeable, but it seems like it isn't really noticeable.

Quote:
I will chime in just for the heck of it.

The difference in brightness is not significant for the cost, but I would say you are on the border of needing a brighter projector, depends how often you mind replacing lamps. Personally, I would NOT go for the RS-600 in your situation, I would do the RS-400 or RS-500 and spend the difference on extra lamps. I assume you have a 1.0 gain screen, assuming that you are looking at about 16fL to 22fL in Lamp HIGH depending how far you mount the projector back. You will not be able to close the IRIS down all that much.

I would personally always like to start at a minimum of 20fL to 24fL in Lamp Low Best Mode, but that is just me. At your budget, you can just buy extra lamps instead of buying a projector that is only 100-200 Lumens Brighter (if it really is even that much brighter). It's hard to even know if it is true or not...

CG

Sounds like RS500 is the JVC to pursue. I'd prefer to keep it in low lamp mode, because high-lamp mode requires a hush box which I don't look forward to building, painting, integrating.

You think I'm on the border of needing a brighter projector, eh? Need to give Mike G. another call and ask about AVS's return policy on opened merchandise, just in case it isn't bright enough for 2D and 3D (I'm a huge 3D fan).
post #4481 of 31985 Old 01-13-2016, 06:33 AM

I don't have exact readings for 3D yet on this projector, but 3D is going to be tough on brightness starting somewhere around 4fL to 10FL max. It will be ok, certainly not unwatchable, but at 500-1000 hours it may become very dim. I would go wtih a 2 projector setup probably if you can fit it. Anyone with a screen that big really should have a JVC + a Light Cannon for sports and TV and 3D. I mean you can always yank a short-throw projector out and throw it in front of the screen, heck you can get some of these refurbished for about the cost of a single JVC lamp.

Or you could look at some of the other newer DLP's as a secondary 2-projector option.

post #4482 of 31985 Old 01-13-2016, 07:17 AM
Ran

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 90 Post(s)
Liked: 177
Just some quick observations after receiving my X9000 yesterday.

I had about 3 hours or so to play with this, so I did not have the time to takeout my meter and do some calibration. I used Zoombies initial settings(thanks) and watched quite a few clips I'm very familiar with.
I usually change projectors every year or so for the last 17 years. My current projector is Last years JVC's entry level , the X500.
Projecting on a cinema scope HP 2.8 133"

There are some very good stuff and there issome not so good stuff.

I would give my X500 a 9/10 in terms of uniformity a 8/10 in terms of convergenceand a 8/10 in terms of focus across the screen.

As to the X9000.
This thing is ultra bright.
I was using Low lamp with the Iris at -13 as opposed to High lamp and -6 on theX500, still the X9000 was perhaps a tad brighter.

The thing is that this is not only a brightness difference, but the depth of the picture and the dynamic contrast (for lack of a better word) is so astounding that the X500 looks pale/washed out in comparison.
This is a full very big step ahead.
Not too sure one can see an obvious big differencewhen it comes to bright scenes (there are differences) , but on low apl scenes and mixed scenes like for example the one where Moneypenny Shaves Bond in Skyfall , looks wayyyy better and much more engaging on the X9000 than on the X500.

The x9000 convergence is nearly spot on. I would give it a 9/10. The picture is ultra sharp, looks like one uses a darbee and the other doesn't (which is notthe case).

Overall the X9000 is a major upgrade over the X500. It is very apparent and doesn’t realy take a videophile to notice it.

BUT

I understand JVC's wanting to improve on last years DI but for my needs/preferencesthis was a mistake. This thing does not close down as with last years Iris.

The differences in Fade To Blacks between the X9000 and the X500 is not small by any measurement.
The fact that my unit has a so so uniformity (wouldn't call this exactly bright corners butmore of lighted/dark zones) , and the fact that the Iris does not clap down,this gives the X500 an advantage. I would give the X9000 uniformity a 7/10.

The so so uniformity is not visible in real day content.
The upper and lower bars don't exhibit a problem, but it is easily seen in Fade to blacks and once you get used to the magnificent fade to blacks I had with the X500 then this ist roubling, though in all fairness that’s the only advantage my specific X500has over the specific X9000, other than that its not realy a contest.

I had bright corners back in the days with theSony Ruby and this was obvious on the upper bar on the left side. It was troubling. This is not the case here.
I can "fix" this or lesser the problem by going to -15 on the Iris butthe picture gets too dark. This morning I was wondering if I can use a combination of High lamp and -15 on the Iris and that might improve things.
Another option will be to change my HP screen which has seen better days, perhaps to aGrayHawk or similar

Now I'm not sure if swapping the unit will get me a better uniformity, it might,but it can also come along with dead pixels, bad convergence etc.

Hope this helps.

Ran
Wizziwig, stef2, henrich3 and 2 others like this.

Last edited by Ran; 01-13-2016 at 07:37 AM.
post #4483 of 31985 Old 01-13-2016, 07:27 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 112 Post(s)
Liked: 87
Quote:
Sounds like RS500 is the JVC to pursue. I'd prefer to keep it in low lamp mode, because high-lamp mode requires a hush box which I don't look forward to building, painting, integrating.

You think I'm on the border of needing a brighter projector, eh? Need to give Mike G. another call and ask about AVS's return policy on opened merchandise, just in case it isn't bright enough for 2D and 3D (I'm a huge 3D fan).
I have an RS600 on a 12ft wide 1.0 gain screen and in low lamp i am maxing out at about 16-17fL on a fresh bulb. my throw is long so you might get a little more if you have a short throw but for me it was not bright enough so i am either running high lamp or using my vc lens. still deciding.

greg
BrolicBeast likes this.

-------------------------
Big Red Cinema Build
post #4484 of 31985 Old 01-13-2016, 07:48 AM

Mentioned: 17 Post(s)
Quoted: 2755 Post(s)
Liked: 2660
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ran View Post
The differences in Fade To Blacks between the X9000 and the X500 is not small by any measurement.
The fact that my unit has a so so uniformity (wouldn't call this exactly bright corners butmore of lighted/dark zones) , and the fact that the Iris does not clap down,this gives the X500 an advantage. I would give the X9000 uniformity a 7/10.

The so so uniformity is not visible in real day content.
The upper and lower bars don't exhibit a problem, but it is easily seen in Fade to blacks and once you get used to the magnificent fade to blacks I had with the X500 then this ist roubling,

Yep. That's what I'm still struggling with on my current RS600. I could ultimately be ok with a not-as-deep FTB and less aggressive IRIS, given all the other picture improvements I see on the RS600. But sometimes the bright corners, visible in content, are just killing it for me.
billqs and stef2 like this.
post #4485 of 31985 Old 01-13-2016, 07:53 AM

Yah, major downer that you're just so close to the ultimate perfect home theater nirvana, and whack - the reality is the milky corners... It's a tough one, but if I had paid that much for an RS-600, I'd probably send it back for an exchange.

post #4486 of 31985 Old 01-13-2016, 07:57 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andreas21 View Post
Look at Zero Dark Thirty when they attack Osamas house, Harry Potter 7 part 2 when Hohwarts is attacked, many scenes in the last Godzilla, Equaliser++ and tell me what you think of the different irises then. The Sony have some streghts and weaknesses an so does the JVC. Pumping when showing credits is just normal, if it dont pump then it is not working correctly.

My question is:

Why do I see fewer artifacts on setting 1?
post #4487 of 31985 Old 01-13-2016, 07:58 AM
Ran

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 90 Post(s)
Liked: 177
Hey Rich

Just to understand, when u say that u see the bright corners in real content, do u mean that they are visible on either or both the upper and lower Black bars when watching 2.35:1 material?

If so, then I don't have that. I used to have that a long time ago with the Ruby. With this unit I'm seeing a non uniform screen when this goes to Fade To Black as opposed to the X500.
I wish someone will come up with a DI tweak to make this close much further.

Ran
billqs likes this.
post #4488 of 31985 Old 01-13-2016, 08:12 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
I don't have exact readings for 3D yet on this projector, but 3D is going to be tough on brightness starting somewhere around 4fL to 10FL max. It will be ok, certainly not unwatchable, but at 500-1000 hours it may become very dim. I would go wtih a 2 projector setup probably if you can fit it. Anyone with a screen that big really should have a JVC + a Light Cannon for sports and TV and 3D. I mean you can always yank a short-throw projector out and throw it in front of the screen, heck you can get some of these refurbished for about the cost of a single JVC lamp.

Or you could look at some of the other newer DLP's as a secondary 2-projector option.

Good point on the secondary projector. I did run four HDMI cables to the projector location, in case I went the multi-projector route. Perhaps this is the route I should take, although I wonder if getting used to the brightness of the light cannon will jade me against the pristine & accurate, albeit dimmer picture on the JVC mounted right by it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by indygreg View Post
I have an RS600 on a 12ft wide 1.0 gain screen and in low lamp i am maxing out at about 16-17fL on a fresh bulb. my throw is long so you might get a little more if you have a short throw but for me it was not bright enough so i am either running high lamp or using my vc lens. still deciding.

greg

Thanks for this input, Greg. It helps me know what to expect if I went this route. My throw distance is between 22 & 23ft onto a Seymour Centerstage XD, which is around 1.0 gain. . What's your throw distance? How many fl are you getting in high-lamp mode? I'd bite the bullet and do the hush box to run it in high mode if I really had to, which leads to one more question--how loud is the fan in high lamp mode?
post #4489 of 31985 Old 01-13-2016, 08:13 AM

Does anyone have the Blu-Ray (or other access) of the movie Tree Of Life?

I was watching it last night and it's a good example where the bright corners show up in real content. In chapter 4 "Creation" there are lots of dark space shots and I see the bright corners on my RS600 throughout many of those shots. And it sort of seems exacerbated depending on what happens on screen. Sometimes something brighter in the middle can slightly bias my eye to not notice the bright corners - other times, a bright area on screen can seem to exacerbate the bright corners and make the surrounding of the image turn foggy.

A typical example is in that chapter at 0:21:41, some lava exploding in blackness. My RS600 image really shows a milky brightened halo around that shot, brightest in the corners.

Not that I want anyone to go looking for something to get annoyed about in your projector. Do this at your own risk. But I'm still trying to get a sense of how bad my unit is compared with what others have ended up with. The majority reports seem to be "I can see it if I view a full black screen, but not noticeable in regular viewing." I'd love that!
billqs likes this.
post #4490 of 31985 Old 01-13-2016, 08:17 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

@Ran and @R Harkness , are the bright corners deal-breakers? Or, perhaps I should rephrase...if you were able to demo the projectors and saw those corners in two different showroom, would you have purchased?

Last edited by BrolicBeast; 01-13-2016 at 08:20 AM.
post #4491 of 31985 Old 01-13-2016, 08:20 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
Quoted: 2096 Post(s)
Liked: 2365
Quote:
Got no love? I answered it. A lens memory setting remembers horizontal/vertical lens shift, zoom and focus. So yes you will need to resave.
How the H-E-hockeySticks did I miss that (thx Mike!)!

Aren't I the . . .

Kevin

You only live once, but if you live it right, once is enough.
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

==> Our 4K/3D Immersive Theater
post #4492 of 31985 Old 01-13-2016, 08:28 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Thanks! Will reach out to him and ask his opinion on brightness on a large screen area.

Thanks Mike--I wasn't sure if that 100 lumens was noticeable, but it seems like it isn't really noticeable.

For me it came down to the added warranty period and whether the 600's added contrast level could actually be realized in a slightly less than bat cave room (IMO that is essential to the 600; the form & function are all but identical).

I'm very happy I upgraded to the 500 (from RS57), and from previous comments I will say I find the black levels are on the same level as my old 57 with the (shocking!), added lumens I'm getting out of the new unit (the "blown away" 3D is the icing on the cake!).

Kevin

Last edited by krichter1; 01-13-2016 at 08:34 AM.
post #4493 of 31985 Old 01-13-2016, 08:29 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by R Harkness View Post

I was watching it last night and it's a good example where the bright corners show up in real content. In chapter 4 "Creation" there are lots of dark space shots and I see the bright corners on my RS600 throughout many of those shots. And it sort of seems exacerbated depending on what happens on screen. Sometimes something brighter in the middle can slightly bias my eye to not notice the bright corners - other times, a bright area on screen can seem to exacerbate the bright corners and make the surrounding of the image turn foggy.

A typical example is in that chapter at 0:21:41, some lava exploding in blackness. My RS600 image really shows a milky brightened halo around that shot, brightest in the corners.

Not that I want anyone to go looking for something to get annoyed about in your projector. Do this at your own risk. But I'm still trying to get a sense of how bad my unit is compared with what others have ended up with. The majority reports seem to be "I can see it if I view a full black screen, but not noticeable in regular viewing." I'd love that!
I don't have that movie but have watched similarly dark scenes in other films (Blade Runner, for example) and haven't see that so far. Fades to black with manual iris settings showed an uneven blackness in various films (like The Imposter, which has many such fades) but using Iris setting 1 made those almost imperceptible (the iris speed didn't quite match the rate of fade in the film so there was a slight hiccup in the fade to black).

But if it is distracting you during actual content, I think you have a worse than average sample. Notice I don't say "If you can see any lightened corners at all" which I think is an unreasonable bar.
krichter1 likes this.
post #4494 of 31985 Old 01-13-2016, 08:46 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

BTW - On the point above about 3D... I found last night going between LOW lamp 0 Iris & Crosstalk Canceler all the way up vs. HIGH lamp -9 & Crosstalk Canceler Mid 0 default, the ghosting was very evident while watching 'The Walk' last night while on the LOW lamp setting (BTW - if you haven't seen this really good movie just a word of caution… don't watch the end scenes on a FULL stomach or you'll lose your dinner real quick as the height perspective scenes between the twin towers were frightening… especially if you have any vertigo or fear of height issues!). When I switched to HIGH with CCancel off it was very difficult to make out the ghosting (it's reported to be there even on DLP but as I don't have one it's hearsay), yet the picture was so much better with the iris clamped (DI Auto2), that the byproduct of added fan noise & slightly shorter lamp life is definitely worth it to me!

OH also for those wanting that "In yo face" 3D, this is a good movie to get as the juggling & twin tower guide wire scenes were awesome (one scene has the falling pole fall right on you and it happens SO fast you will literally DUCK for safety!)
Toe and curlyjive like this.

Kevin

Last edited by krichter1; 01-13-2016 at 08:57 AM.
post #4495 of 31985 Old 01-13-2016, 08:56 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 96 Post(s)
Liked: 97
Quote:

Yep. That's what I'm still struggling with on my current RS600. I could ultimately be ok with a not-as-deep FTB and less aggressive IRIS, given all the other picture improvements I see on the RS600. But sometimes the bright corners, visible in content, are just killing it for me.
Hi Rich,
I had a bright corner projector (RS1) for 18 months. I struggled with it every single day for the entire time I owned it. As do you, I like many dark films (Horror, Sci-fi/Space) and I also watch many older films (30's-40's) of which almost all have long slow FTB's. Some as long as 15 seconds. So bright corners is a deal breaker for me. Like RBE, once you notice it you will always notice it, and constantly look for it. Makes you always kinda uneasy while watching films. Not good. Once you have a projector w/o bright corners it's impossible to go back. (IMHO) I'm a die-hard JVC fan and as soon as JVC engineers corrects this problem, I'll immediately buy a new unit (was planning on buying a 600 this year).
post #4496 of 31985 Old 01-13-2016, 09:01 AM

Quote:
@Ran and @R Harkness , are the bright corners deal-breakers? Or, perhaps I should rephrase...if you were able to demo the projectors and saw those corners in two different showroom, would you have purchased?
I'm still trying to find out whether they are deal breakers or not for me. I watch a lot of content and I'm blown away. But then I encounter content where the problem sticks out. On my previous RS57 I couldn't wait to watch dark movies because it just sung with that content. On this RS600 I put in dark movies with some trepidation of seeing the bright corners when I'm just trying to get into the movie. That's not a good thing. I think if I saw this at a dealership before buying I would say "I don't want THAT unit." The question is whether I'm likely to ever get a better unit, and if not...do I go on with this one? And I may not even be offered another unit. So it could be a moot point. (And the two problems in completely rejecting an RS600 for me are: 1. I've already sold my RS57, so buying a used one will just be betting on the same crap-shoot treadmill as I'm on now, and I'm already sick of this 2. Having seen how good the RS600 looks in most content, it's hard to go back. This is why I'm so damned envious of others who seem to have ended up getting the benefits of the new JVCs without a distracting level of artifacts in their unit).
post #4497 of 31985 Old 01-13-2016, 09:21 AM

Mentioned: 186 Post(s)
Quoted: 3750 Post(s)
Liked: 6401
Quote:
Originally Posted by RapalloAV View Post
The 1100ES DI does a pretty good job with this, the Sony 665 DI is a big step back with obvious pumping with lots of stuff. But then again none of the Sony's are getting anywhere near the black levels that you're getting with JVC's DIs, so the bigger transitions are easier to see. If I wanted Sony contrast levels with a JVC, I could just turn off the DI completely.

I honestly could care less about seeing some brightness loss with credits if it means having fantastic contrast performance throughout the movie.

My Home Theater UPDATED DEC 2017
Technical Editor/Writer Sound and Vision Magazine
Deep Dive AV - Calibration, Consulting and Education
post #4498 of 31985 Old 01-13-2016, 09:26 AM

Mentioned: 106 Post(s)
Quoted: 6617 Post(s)
Liked: 7689
Quote:
Originally Posted by indygreg View Post
so this mean my pj is defective or yours is special? you can see mine pumping on the lucy credits from there if you look east.

greg
Yours is either defective, or you have an extreme setup or weird settings that are causing this. I don't see that on my VW600 either. Certainly not that bad - brightness changes are subtle at most. Nor my previous Lumis.
post #4499 of 31985 Old 01-13-2016, 09:33 AM

Mentioned: 186 Post(s)
Quoted: 3750 Post(s)
Liked: 6401
Quote:

I will take a look at that sequence, I have it ripped in my demo clips. My unit displays the corner issue with an all black screen and the only time I really notice it is with a resolution or frame rate change (which looks worse than just putting up an all black field) but I think I have only seen it once with real content, and that was with some black torture testing with AVP2, and only on one short part. I will look at Tree of Life and Zero Dark Thirty tonight and see how those fare.
nathan_h and R Harkness like this.

My Home Theater UPDATED DEC 2017
Technical Editor/Writer Sound and Vision Magazine
Deep Dive AV - Calibration, Consulting and Education
post #4500 of 31985 Old 01-13-2016, 09:46 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 482 Post(s)
Liked: 282
Quote:
Sorry, I should not have included your quote in there. I was referring to henrich. Only way a 500/600 would not have as good contrast/black level as a 57 is if you are running brighter.

Or (as in my case) if your RS500 suffers from significant bright corners...
billqs likes this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply Digital Hi-End Projectors - $3,000+ USD MSRP

Tags
jvc-rs500u synch/display issue? , RS600

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page