Official JVC RS600 / RS500 (X950R / X750R - X9000 / X7000) Owners Thread - Page 2 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 
 84691Likes

post #31 of 31979 Old 11-27-2015, 07:31 AM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 279 Post(s)
Liked: 172
Quote:
Originally Posted by Htnut2000 View Post
I am quite happy to do that if someone has a suggestion for the title. Due to the silly JVC models numbers it is going to be very long title!

I do not have any UHD sources and 4K was not a reason I upgraded
No worries. Looks like an RS500 owners thread has already been started now anyway.

I'm curious if you had a chance to look at what the new "motion enhance" feature is supposed to do to the image. I'm expecting that it likely won't amount to much and will be something I won't use, but I am curious about since it is new this year.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #32 of 31979 Old 11-27-2015, 08:34 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 63 Post(s)
Liked: 47
Quote:
The out of the box calibration was excellent with a very flat grey scale and slightly over saturated gamut.

The best news is that the brightness is as good or better than expected. I am at around mid throw and measured 1800 lumens Calibrated on high lamp and 1300 lumens on low lamp. This compares to 900 lumens (low lamp) that I got on the X900.

The convergence is not perfect on the sides but within half a pixel. I saw much worse on one of the X900 units.
Good to hear the calibrated lumens are so close to spec. What size screen are you projecting onto?

I lucked out with my 4810 in that it had almost perfect convergence. I hope I am just as lucky with my RS600.
post #33 of 31979 Old 11-27-2015, 08:43 AM
AVS Forum Addicted Member

Mentioned: 17 Post(s)
Quoted: 2755 Post(s)
Liked: 2659
Quote:
Originally Posted by phisch View Post

I lucked out with my 4810 in that it had almost perfect convergence. I hope I am just as lucky with my RS600.
I thought paying more for the RS600 was supposed to take the luck out of it.
RonF likes this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #34 of 31979 Old 11-27-2015, 08:50 AM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 616 Post(s)
Liked: 252
Quote:
I don't think it would be a fair comparison. Due to some mild lamp aging I was watching the X900 with a fully open iris whereas I have the X9000 at -11
What is your screen, size, dist to project, viewing dist, etc?
post #35 of 31979 Old 11-27-2015, 08:58 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quoted: 63 Post(s)
Liked: 47
Quote:
Originally Posted by R Harkness View Post
I thought paying more for the RS600 was supposed to take the luck out of it.
I have faith in JVC, but I worry a little bit about it getting banged around in the back of the UPS truck on its way to its new home.
post #36 of 31979 Old 11-27-2015, 10:40 AM

Mentioned: 106 Post(s)
Quoted: 6612 Post(s)
Liked: 7674
Quote:
I have faith in JVC, but I worry a little bit about it getting banged around in the back of the UPS truck on its way to its new home.

We double box them and say a prayer to the gods of shipping.
RonF and DigsMovies like this.
post #37 of 31979 Old 11-27-2015, 12:41 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 1805 Post(s)
Liked: 1228
Quote:
Congrats, thanks for starting the thread.

From the pictures supplied, that looks like a very challenging room for a projector to maintain much contrast. Is it white ceiling, bright walls all around? Are you using an ALR screen (ambient light rejecting)?
Thanks, someone had to start it !

It's a local Aussie made low gain screen That very happy with sure an alr prob better in the conditions but no plans changing

Pics prob deceiving, it's a typical lounge room, but screen is no where near white walls, closest is a wall of heavy drapes that soak up more than probably reflect as a white wall would, also I run my screen closer to floor than ceiling, and it's a high ceiling, and the floor is charcoal black carpet

Am sure room could be more conducive, but the jvc x35 I've been running gets by, eg screen shot below, certainly quite a step ahead of the epsons owned prior,

Expecting similar things from the x7000, even if get no gains in contrast with the x7000 looking forward to other aspects, eg that can crank iris right down and it's still quite bright, the additional lumens for 3D, greater colour accuracy. I already see it is naturally sharper plus there's benefits of uhd to look forward to. A lot of things to still explore so very excited.

"Technology is a drug. We can't get enough of it."

Welcome to my lounge room :)

Last edited by alebonau; 11-27-2015 at 12:57 PM.
post #38 of 31979 Old 11-27-2015, 12:54 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by rboster View Post
OP congrats on the new baby...looks awesome. AND, Happy Birthday too. I turn @&*#@^$% today and have placed my order for a new JVC too. That's my b-day gift to myself (after I recoup the cost through selling my current unit ).

Looking forward to hearing your impressions!!

Take care
Ron
Thankyou Ron and happy birthday too !

Congrats on the jvc on order too ! Selfie birthday presents seems all the rage

Yes was lucky to have pre sold my x35 was only way could afford one of these babies, hopefully your current unit sells soon too.

I felt the x7000 sitting in the sweet spot between the current line up, which jvc you getting ?

Doesnt seem to be many owners yet...am I the only one

post #39 of 31979 Old 11-27-2015, 01:31 PM

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quoted: 137 Post(s)
Liked: 158
Quote:
Originally Posted by alebonau View Post
Doesnt seem to be many owners yet...am I the only one
You and Juddy. As expected,mine didn't turn up yesterday. On the truck for Monday.
Obviously you were too excited to sleep much last night. Posting at midnight,then up again before 8am.
Have you had a longer look at the THX mode,yet? Hoping it's OOTB image is good enough to tide me over till I can get a professional/JVC auto done.
alebonau likes this.
post #40 of 31979 Old 11-27-2015, 02:16 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by IMDave View Post
You and Juddy. As expected,mine didn't turn up yesterday. On the truck for Monday.
Obviously you were too excited to sleep much last night. Posting at midnight,then up again before 8am.
Have you had a longer look at the THX mode,yet? Hoping it's OOTB image is good enough to tide me over till I can get a professional/JVC auto done.
Juddy has been awe full quite....quite possible he has been busy with it, look forward to him posting

Look forward to you getting yours as well all in good time

Us Aussies seemed to have got the jump on the rest of the world this time. Feels quite odd...normally we are last in the queue

Look forward to reading how you find it Dave,

I've only briefly flicked between "natural" it comes with and thx via button on the remote.

Yes first priority for me is getting reasonable colour balance, was just a few tweaks on the x35 hoping same on the 7000,

Definitely would like to explore the autocal with a meter at some stage, just hope jvc get compatibility with something more accurate than currently. But yeah can see people getting a pro cal or doing themselves still.

Yes thought post before bed last night and was up early this morning with daughter whom seems to be up with the birds....

Anyways busy day today so won't get chance for any further play...

post #41 of 31979 Old 11-27-2015, 03:04 PM

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 42 Post(s)
Liked: 20
Quote:
Peerless prg-exa unv

http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/search...rch=yes&sts=ps

Only $107 us best money ever spent to securely mount and precisely dial in the projector especially something big and heavy like a jvc

Awesome engineered such a high quality product peerless make in the precision gear mount and the exa arm mount so versatile in use for either wall or ceiling mounting
How far from the wall is the back of the projector? the manual suggest min 8" but it seems like people are doing less.
post #42 of 31979 Old 11-27-2015, 03:21 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by CheapB View Post
How far from the wall is the back of the projector? the manual suggest min 8" but it seems like people are doing less.
4" -6" thereabouts enough to easily hook up power, trigger and via hdmi, and also fit the 3D emitter, and not restricting airflow in anyways. Ran my last jvc few years on it and two epsons before, works a treat

If wanting more clearance can go for the prg-unv-exb but don't think necessary
CheapB likes this.

post #43 of 31979 Old 11-27-2015, 03:55 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 46 Post(s)
Liked: 24
Well done Al! With all your kids needing attention this weekend surely you can squeeze in an animation movie and post impressions??

Seems the Aussies have the jump on the folks Stateside this year for a change for new JVC models. My X7000 was on a truck to be delivered yesterday but never turned up. And I'm overseas next week so will have to wait for a while now......
alebonau likes this.
post #44 of 31979 Old 11-27-2015, 04:18 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quoted: 743 Post(s)
Liked: 511
Quote:
The picture settings in order on the menu were:

Natural
Standard
Normal

Ther are far less profile options on this model
Which setting produced the "excellent" pic?
post #45 of 31979 Old 11-27-2015, 04:41 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 40 Post(s)
Liked: 85
I have had a bit more time to play and I hope I have answered all the questions below. Ask again if I have missed anything.

ENVIRONMENT

My screen size is 110 inch diagonal. It is a Stewart FireHawk 1 st generation with a gain of 1.3 The projector is 5 meters from the screen and the viewing distance is similar

MPC

The MPC has no artifacts on a static test pattern but it does looks slightly softer than with no MPC.

When engaged it increases the noise of the projector. Non a high pitched whine but similar to fan noise. The controls do make some difference but again the effect is quite subtle

The big issue for me is quite serious motion artifacts. I don't recall seeing anything like that on the X900 but I could have missed it.

I am definitely staying with it off for 1080 sources.

CMD

I believe that the CMD is the same as the previous model. I am seeing good improvement on on motion blurring when set to low. The high setting introduces artifacts.

MOTION ENHANCE

I cannot fathom the purpose of this control. When set to high it produces severe ghosting on moving letters. The low setting is less pronounced but it still makes things worse than without it

SMEARING

The still is some slight smearing but it is much less than the previous projectors that I have had. It is certainly not a concern

SATURATION LINEARITY

Hopefully I will be able to measure this today or tomorrow and will post the results
Mikenificent1 likes this.
post #46 of 31979 Old 11-27-2015, 04:50 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by erkq View Post
Which setting produced the "excellent" pic?
The ones I listed. To make it clearer:-

Picture Mode : Natural
Color Profile : Standard
Color Temp : 6500K
Gamma : Normal
erkq likes this.
post #47 of 31979 Old 11-27-2015, 05:12 PM

Mentioned: 17 Post(s)
Quoted: 2755 Post(s)
Liked: 2659
Htnut2000,

When you mention "smearing" are you talking about motion blur, or perhaps the ghosting/streaking that can happen on white text against a black background?

As for MPC artifacts, what type? I usually have E-shift on for my RS57, and the only artifacts I notice are sometimes line twitter - e.g. fine lines on buildings during fly-overs etc.
post #48 of 31979 Old 11-27-2015, 05:17 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
I have had a bit more time to play and I hope I have answered all the questions below. Ask again if I have missed anything.

ENVIRONMENT

My screen size is 110 inch diagonal. It is a Stewart FireHawk 1 st generation with a gain of 1.3 The projector is 5 meters from the screen and the viewing distance is similar

MPC

The MPC has no artifacts on a static test pattern but it does looks slightly softer than with no MPC.

When engaged it increases the noise of the projector. Non a high pitched whine but similar to fan noise. The controls do make some difference but again the effect is quite subtle

The big issue for me is quite serious motion artifacts. I don't recall seeing anything like that on the X900 but I could have missed it.

I am definitely staying with it off for 1080 sources.

CMD

I believe that the CMD is the same as the previous model. I am seeing good improvement on on motion blurring when set to low. The high setting introduces artifacts.

MOTION ENHANCE

I cannot fathom the purpose of this control. When set to high it produces severe ghosting on moving letters. The low setting is less pronounced but it still makes things worse than without it

SMEARING

The still is some slight smearing but it is much less than the previous projectors that I have had. It is certainly not a concern

SATURATION LINEARITY

Hopefully I will be able to measure this today or tomorrow and will post the results
I figured the motion enhance would be a bust. Sounds like what was described by earlier reports. I wish JVC would offer a simple dark frame insertionmode which would actually, you know, enhance the motion. Maybe the hit in brightness would have been too much on the previous generations, but this year's line seems to have brightness to spare.

About the motion artifacts you described with "MPC". Can you clarify? What exactly are you seeing. Maybe it is related to something else? Technically, Eshift and MPC are separate animals. EShift does the pseudo 4K while MPC is just the image enhancements that can be applied while using Eshift or not using Eshift. Can you describe what motion artifacts you are seeing with this?

Related to that, on the previous generation, using Eshift while also using CMD low caused a decrease in motion resolution. Also, CMD low causes horizontal banding artifacts that are usually seen with motion in certain scene conditions. When you have noticed the "artifacts with motion" with "MPC", were you also using CMD low by any chance, or did you have CMD off when evaluating MPC and Eshift?

So, can you describe the motion artifacts you say you are seeing with MPC? What are the MPC settings when you see this? Can you test this, keeping the same MPC settings, with Eshift off and then Eshift on? Also, can to test with Eshift on but switching between your current MPC setting and then with the MPC setting all at 0?

Of course, please make sure the CMD is set to off since it introduces artifacts (at least it does in the previous generations).

Thanks!
post #49 of 31979 Old 11-27-2015, 05:18 PM

Mentioned: 232 Post(s)
Quoted: 11806 Post(s)
Liked: 9344
Send a message via Skype™ to Mike Garrett
Just to let people know, tomorrow is last day to preorder this projector. Call us for pricing.
post #50 of 31979 Old 11-27-2015, 05:19 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Htnut2000,

When you mention "smearing" are you talking about motion blur, or perhaps the ghosting/streaking that can happen on white text against a black background?

As for MPC artifacts, what type? I usually have E-shift on for my RS57, and the only artifacts I notice are sometimes line twitter - e.g. fine lines on buildings during fly-overs etc.

Sounds like he means the vertical streaks seen with bright white objects (usually letters) on a black background.
post #51 of 31979 Old 11-27-2015, 05:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by seanbryan View Post
Sounds like he means the vertical streaks seen with bright white objects (usually letters) on a black background.
That is how I took it.
post #52 of 31979 Old 11-27-2015, 05:43 PM

Quoted: 42 Post(s)
Liked: 20
Quote:
4" -6" thereabouts enough to easily hook up power, trigger and via hdmi, and also fit the 3D emitter, and not restricting airflow in anyways. Ran my last jvc few years on it and two epsons before, works a treat

Cool. I expected to need a mount with a dual stud wall plate for this heavy a projector. Is yours in a single stud or do you have concrete walls? A single stud mount seems a little scary for a 30-something projector.
post #53 of 31979 Old 11-27-2015, 05:47 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quoted: 429 Post(s)
Liked: 217
Quote:
Originally Posted by seanbryan View Post

Aka movie credits.
No big deal.
post #54 of 31979 Old 11-27-2015, 05:48 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Htnut2000,

Sorry I was struggling for the word. I mean streaking that occurs above bright objects.
R Harkness likes this.
post #55 of 31979 Old 11-27-2015, 05:54 PM

Quoted: 608 Post(s)
Liked: 378
Mike, do you know definitely that the Display I3 is not going to be a supported meter for JVC's autocal?
post #56 of 31979 Old 11-27-2015, 06:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by millerwill View Post
Mike, do you know definitely that the Display I3 is not going to be a supported meter for JVC's autocal?
From my understanding that meter will not work, with how autocal has to be done.
post #57 of 31979 Old 11-27-2015, 06:27 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quoted: 307 Post(s)
Liked: 272
Quote:
Good to hear the calibrated lumens are so close to spec. What size screen are you projecting onto?

I'm moving up with great excitement to the RS500 for multiple reasons, but today I was taking screen shots that I will post when I sell my 4810, with a Sony AR7 II and the 55mm Sony/Zeiss prime..... of its convergence and focus on 1080P 1 pixel patterns. Damn .....it looks even better in these 24mp jpegs of high quality I can pixel peep on a 27" Apple cinema display, than what I'm seeing in person. Which I already felt was very good. My eyes vision corrected are likely the weak link. Me too am hoping for as nice convergence and image quality on the 500. Hey they supposedly upgraded the quality and consistency of their lenses with the new manufacturing partner so I'm optimistic. And the impression I'm given from sales at AVS is that the quality of convergence as a whole has improved over recent years and stays solid through shipping. It's rare for them to hear of bad convergences issues.

Last edited by RonF; 11-27-2015 at 07:41 PM.
post #58 of 31979 Old 11-27-2015, 06:40 PM

Quote:

Note that a JVC exceeds the weight capacity of that mount.
post #59 of 31979 Old 11-27-2015, 07:03 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by CheapB View Post
Quote:

Cool. I expected to need a mount with a dual stud wall plate for this heavy a projector. Is yours in a single stud or do you have concrete walls? A single stud mount seems a little scary for a 30-something projector.
Peerless provide comprehensive advice re mounting to various surfaces, suffice to say you want a solid structural support to mount onto, and why mine is slightly offset to pickup a beam. Solid and secure
post #60 of 31979 Old 11-27-2015, 07:07 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike Garrett View Post
Quote:

Note that a JVC exceeds the weight capacity of that mount.
No. Mine and I have clearly indicates projectors upto 22kg. My boxed Jvc weighs 19kg.

The B&h website under specs indicate the same

http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/produc...ling_Wall.html

Support Weight 50 lbs (22kg)

I have no qualms suggesting as the mount is solid secure very well engineered beyond anything else am aware in the market. Infact one other brand one supposedly rated I returned as pure rubbish for kind of projector jvcs and others are

Last edited by alebonau; 11-27-2015 at 07:14 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply Digital Hi-End Projectors - $3,000+ USD MSRP

Tags
jvc-rs500u synch/display issue? , RS600

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page