Official JVC RS600 / RS500 (X950R / X750R - X9000 / X7000) Owners Thread - Page 216 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 
 84803Likes

post #6451 of 32133 Old 02-13-2016, 09:48 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 329 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 5440 Post(s)
Liked: 5642
Quote:
Originally Posted by SherazNJ View Post
WCG? What does it stand for? I do have Deep Color on Auto.

WCG stands for Wide Color Gamut, ie wider than rec709, like DCI-P3 or rec2020.

Deep color controls the bit depth (8, 10 or 12). It's needed for WCG as HDR / UHD Bluray needs 10bits to be able to do P3 and above with PQ Gamma without banding (in fact, in needs 12 bits for no banding, hence the validity of Dolby Vision). 8bits isn't enough for more than rec-709.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #6452 of 32133 Old 02-13-2016, 09:50 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
Quoted: 2105 Post(s)
Liked: 2382
Quote:
Originally Posted by tigerfan33 View Post
I still need to insert disk to get startup screen with 15' HDMI cable.
Deep color works and showing 12 bit on blu ray, Netflix and Amazon 4K/24p. I lose signal (black screen) when trying YouTube video. Seems nothing at over 4/24fps it can handle.

And what are your JVC Input & Colorspace settings Tiger (Auto or 4K & Auto or 4:2:2/4:4:4)?

Kevin

You only live once, but if you live it right, once is enough.
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

==> Our 4K/3D Immersive Theater
post #6453 of 32133 Old 02-13-2016, 09:55 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 20 Post(s)
Liked: 16
Quote:
Originally Posted by SherazNJ View Post
Can you provide the link of the cable you bought from to make sure I get the same cable? The one that is working for me comes only up to 15 ft. I need 25 feet and will try yours.
http://www.bluejeanscable.com/store/...hdmi-cable.htm

It's the Series-1 not the Series-FE that is 25ft. I had a 30ft Series-1 laying around and just tested it and it works as well. I have a 25ft from AVR -> JVC and a 6ft Series-FE from Sammy -> AVR.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #6454 of 32133 Old 02-13-2016, 10:01 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 590 Post(s)
Liked: 515
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike Garrett View Post
JVC did not get the Samsung player any earlier than you guys, but they have a couple now and are looking into the situation.
Yes they're aware of the problem, but companies have a limited programmer resources to handle a large volume of issues for many different products, so they probably prioritize problems lower when few customers are complaining. More complaints = higher priority = faster problem resolution. I'm a retired IT guy, and that's how it worked in my shop...
post #6455 of 32133 Old 02-13-2016, 10:02 AM
AVS Forum Addicted Member

Mentioned: 241 Post(s)
Quoted: 12537 Post(s)
Liked: 10153
Send a message via Skype™ to Mike Garrett
Quote:
Originally Posted by krichter1 View Post
Wow… really sorry to hear about this Ron. Hope JVC takes good care of you and you don't have to ship your BCM out for repair. Keep us updated on progress and good luck brutha!

Ron is being taken care of.
krichter1 and tigerfan33 like this.
post #6456 of 32133 Old 02-13-2016, 10:18 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 23 Post(s)
Quoted: 2238 Post(s)
Liked: 1520
Quote:
From JVC. HDR with a front projector is a different animal, compared to a TV. With a TV, you could let the flag make the required changes to the display and be all set. Can't do that with a front projector, because no two setup are the same. This is because you have screens with gains from 0.7 on up to above 3.0. You have different size screens and different rooms. So there is not a set base to work from and that is why it looks like HDR is always going to require a custom setup for each and every system, no two exactly alike.
In that case, maybe JVC should replace those 3 gamma tweaking controls with controls that define your setup/environment instead. Sort of how they have a table for compensating for different screen materials. It would be much easier for the user to select a screen-gain, size, and/or peak brightness from a light meter than using their current cryptic values. Seems they could also compute your screen size from the focus/zoom position. Once environment/setup is specified, JVC should automatically adjust for each movie the same way as flat panels do. I guess the best one can do for now is to setup different user memories with those 3 tweak values preset for the most common HDR mastering parameters used by the studios. I can't believe all of this wasn't sorted out when they were making the HDR/HDMI 2.0a specs. What a mess.
post #6457 of 32133 Old 02-13-2016, 10:18 AM
Blu-ray Reviewer

Mentioned: 87 Post(s)
Quoted: 1683 Post(s)
Liked: 6124
Quote:
Originally Posted by GGA View Post
I have most of my gear, including my source components, in a some racks behind a wall, no direct line of sight. I replaced my Samsung H6500 with the new K8500 last night and discovered it would not respond to the remote using the same Xantech emitter/flasher that worked with the H6500. It worked fine when I pointed it directly at the K8500.

I have now learned from Samsung support the following:

The player is not compatible with external Flasher.
The player receives the signals from the remote only when the remote control is in line of sight with the player's Remote Control Sensor.
This is a design choice of the player.

Page 9 of the manual shows the location of a REMOTE CONTROL SENSOR, but this has nothing to do with using an IR emitter.

Inconceivable design choice to me. Can anyone suggest a workaround?
Greetings,

I have been discovering the same thing. Another ridiculous decision. So far have no option but to use the horribly designed remote control supplied with the unit.

Regards,

Ralph C. Potts
Blu-ray Reviewer
My Home Theater
Follow me on Twitter @RalphAVSreviews
post #6458 of 32133 Old 02-13-2016, 10:20 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quoted: 746 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wizziwig View Post
In that case, maybe JVC should replace those 3 gamma tweaking controls with controls that define your setup/environment instead. Sort of how they have a table for compensating for different screen materials. It would be much easier for the user to select a screen-gain, size, and/or peak brightness from a light meter than using their current cryptic values. Seems they could also compute your screen size from the focus/zoom position. Once environment/setup is specified, JVC should automatically adjust for each movie the same way as flat panels do. I guess the best one can do for now is to setup different user memories with those 3 tweak values preset for the most common HDR mastering parameters used by the studios. I can't believe all of this wasn't sorted out when they were making the HDR/HDMI 2.0a specs. What a mess.
I'd just like return of the built in 21 pt gamma.
krichter1 likes this.
post #6459 of 32133 Old 02-13-2016, 10:22 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quoted: 746 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ralph Potts View Post
Greetings,

I have been discovering the same thing. Another ridiculous decision. So far have no option but to use the horribly designed remote control supplied with the unit.

Regards,
Do universal remotes support this player yet? If not, you could train one but that's a PITA. I'm using Complete Control myself.
post #6460 of 32133 Old 02-13-2016, 10:23 AM

Mentioned: 164 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 5374 Post(s)
Liked: 5710
I'm confident that certain functions that no longer work were fine before the first power cycle after the firmware update. At least 1 other member had the same experience on day 1 out of the box.

I can no longer play back the UHD test patterns from USB drive that were working perfect the 1st night.

I tried looking for the original OOTB firmware to see if we can revert back. Samsung will allow a USB stick firmware update, it doesn't have to be through the auto-downloader.

http://www.samsung.com/us/support/ow...t/UBD-K8500/ZA

another cool feature that wasn't mentioned yet - the player has WIDI / Miracast built in.

It syncs with my Galaxy S4, Sony Xperia Tablet (Favorite leftover part from the VW1100) and the Microsoft Surface Pro 4.

post #6461 of 32133 Old 02-13-2016, 10:26 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quoted: 434 Post(s)
Liked: 218
Quote:
And what are your JVC Input & Colorspace settings Tiger (Auto or 4K & Auto or 4:2:2/4:4:4)?

The JVC color space was set to auto.
That was with the 15' HDMI.
I've moved back to the 35' cable and now only get 8 bits.
It's a mess. LOL
Get you one and jump in my friend
post #6462 of 32133 Old 02-13-2016, 10:33 AM

Mentioned: 241 Post(s)
Quoted: 12537 Post(s)
Liked: 10153
Send a message via Skype™ to Mike Garrett
I just canceled my Samsung UHD BD order. I may wait for the Panny UHD player. Too many issues and especially if I can't remote locate the Samsung. All of my equipment is in the mechanical room, below the HT.
HTPCat likes this.
post #6463 of 32133 Old 02-13-2016, 10:36 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quoted: 434 Post(s)
Liked: 218
Quote:
I just canceled my Samsung UHD BD order. I may wait for the Panny UHD player. Too many issues and especially if I can't remote locate the Samsung. All of my equipment is in the mechanical room, below the HT.

Wise move Mike
Mine probably will be going back next week.
post #6464 of 32133 Old 02-13-2016, 10:38 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by henrich3 View Post
I sent the following to Samsung Customer Support regarding the black screen problems with their player & the RS600:
---------------------
Samsung's UBD-K8500 UHD Blu-ray player needs a firmware update to work with my JVC DLA-RS600 projector. My RS600 displays no video when the UBD-K8500 is powered on until I load a movie. I believe that this is caused by the player's default video mode for its menu: 2160p/60 4:4:4. My JVC projector cannot display 2160p/60 4:4:4. Changing the player's startup menus to either 1080p or 2160p/24 4:2:0 would resolve this "black screen problem".
----------------------
I just did a live chat - the agent claims they are working on a firmware update and have received other complaints. The more the merrier.. Click on the link and either send an email or use the chat.
henrich3 likes this.
post #6465 of 32133 Old 02-13-2016, 10:41 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 329 Post(s)
Quoted: 5440 Post(s)
Liked: 5642
Quote:
Originally Posted by zombie10k View Post
I just did a live chat - the agent claims they are working on a firmware update and have received other complaints. The more the merrier.. Click on the link and either send an email or use the chat.
Hopefully it will be fixed by the time it lands in the UK. Thanks Jason.

Last edited by Manni01; 02-13-2016 at 10:52 AM.
post #6466 of 32133 Old 02-13-2016, 10:50 AM

I'm keeping it for a while since i'm a glutton for punishment.. and it does technical play back the UHD BD's fine which is the main purpose of the player. I definitely want to see these others areas fixed though.

The more I watch the Martian, the more I dislike the absurdity of this movie. Time to move onto the Fantastic 4 UHD Bluray.. oh wait..

btw, if they ever release the Abyss in BD or UHD (directors cut) I will be in nirvana..
post #6467 of 32133 Old 02-13-2016, 11:00 AM

Quoted: 97 Post(s)
Liked: 51
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave Vaughn View Post
I rail about remote controls all the time in my reviews for their poor design, but the Samsung remote is the absolute worst I have ever seen/used. I don't have big fingers and I can't seem to hit the "select" button without the cursor going up or down a click!!!
I agree on the remote. It is very frustrating. My solution for now is to use a remote from a two year old Samsung BD player I have in guest bedroom. It works and the buttons are larger. I think that you can purchase a different older Samsung remote for a low price? The Samsung model remote that I found to work is AK59-00166A.
I can point at screen to use - no need to point at player.

Last edited by Roger Mathus; 02-13-2016 at 11:11 AM. Reason: Added remote reference number.
post #6468 of 32133 Old 02-13-2016, 11:01 AM

Quoted: 143 Post(s)
Liked: 145
Quote:
So it's confirmed the Samsung will only work with original remote? I have my equipment under the stairs and use a harmony hub to control. I'm waiting for mine from Amazon but may cancel too if there's yet another problem.

I'm still having problems with my roku 4 and my RS500. Some days it refuses to connect, and Roku won't connect at all through my x7200w! I guess Denon, Samsung, roku, and jvc all need some time to sort out this hdmi mess!!
post #6469 of 32133 Old 02-13-2016, 11:01 AM

Mentioned: 18 Post(s)
Quoted: 2805 Post(s)
Liked: 2725
Quote:
Originally Posted by GGA View Post
I have most of my gear, including my source components, in a some racks behind a wall, no direct line of sight. I replaced my Samsung H6500 with the new K8500 last night and discovered it would not respond to the remote using the same Xantech emitter/flasher that worked with the H6500. It worked fine when I pointed it directly at the K8500.

I have now learned from Samsung support the following:

The player is not compatible with external Flasher.
The player receives the signals from the remote only when the remote control is in line of sight with the player's Remote Control Sensor.
This is a design choice of the player.

Page 9 of the manual shows the location of a REMOTE CONTROL SENSOR, but this has nothing to do with using an IR emitter.

Inconceivable design choice to me. Can anyone suggest a workaround?
Quote:
Greetings,

Regards,
Wait..hold on!

Am I understanding this correctly?

Are you guys saying the Samsung player won't work, for instance, an IR eye extender (where you put the IR transmitter right over the IR eye receiver of the player)?

If that were the case, this player is useless to me. All my source equipment is in a different room.

But I can't imagine it could be the case. First, I don't know how it could technically be the case - so long as the eye is receiving the same signal, whatever the source, it should work. And if it is the case...I literally can't conceive of someone making a design choice that stupid.
stef2 likes this.
post #6470 of 32133 Old 02-13-2016, 11:05 AM

Quoted: 97 Post(s)
Liked: 51
Quote:
I'm keeping it for a while since i'm a glutton for punishment.. and it does technical play back the UHD BD's fine which is the main purpose of the player. I definitely want to see these others areas fixed though.

The more I watch the Martian, the more I dislike the absurdity of this movie. Time to move onto the Fantastic 4 UHD Bluray.. oh wait..

btw, if they ever release the Abyss in BD or UHD (directors cut) I will be in nirvana..
Both Martian and Fantastic 4 are dominated by indoor or otherwise artificial scenes. I think that Wild might be a better movie to get impressions of what the format can deliver. Did not like movie but scenery was nice.
post #6471 of 32133 Old 02-13-2016, 11:07 AM
Blu-ray Reviewer

Quote:
Originally Posted by R Harkness View Post
Wait..hold on!

Am I understanding this correctly?

Are you guys saying the Samsung player won't work, for instance, an IR eye extender (where you put the IR transmitter right over the IR eye receiver of the player)?

If that were the case, this player is useless to me. All my source equipment is in a different room.

But I can't imagine it could be the case. First, I don't know how it could technically be the case - so long as the eye is receiving the same signal, whatever the source, it should work. And if it is the case...I literally can't conceive of someone making a design choice that stupid.
Greetings,

You understand correctly. The manual states the IR Sensor is located on the front panel below the eject button (roughly). Tried shining a flashlight in the area as I couldn't find it adn nothing. Set up the remote codes and placed the IR emitter directly in front of the panel in multiple spots and NADA.

Regards,

Ralph C. Potts
Blu-ray Reviewer
My Home Theater
post #6472 of 32133 Old 02-13-2016, 11:14 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 29 Post(s)
Quoted: 1465 Post(s)
Liked: 2287
Quote:
Originally Posted by Roger Mathus View Post
I agree on the remote. It is very frustrating. My solution for now is to use a remote from a two year old Samsung BD player I have in guest bedroom. It works and the buttons are larger. I think that you can purchase a different older Samsung remote for a low price? The Samsung model remote that I found to work is AK59-00166A.
I can point at screen to use - no need to point at player.
Roger...what BD player is that remote from? I plan on programming my URC remote with the codes anyway and I'm hoping to use codes that are in their database since I doubt this player is in there.

Thanks,

David Vaughn Blu-ray Reviewer / Technical Writer Sound & Vision Magazine (Print & Online)
post #6473 of 32133 Old 02-13-2016, 11:17 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 29 Post(s)
Quoted: 1465 Post(s)
Liked: 2287
Quote:
Greetings,

You understand correctly. The manual states the IR Sensor is located on the front panel below the eject button (roughly). Tried shining a flashlight in the area as I couldn't find it adn nothing. Set up the remote codes and placed the IR emitter directly in front of the panel in multiple spots and NADA.

Regards,
Ralph,

I plan on testing this today with the stock remote by covering the player with cardboard and opening up small sections at a time to see what "area" responds to the remote and then trying to narrow down where the damn sensor is. Samsung is lucky they are first on the block with this player because if they weren't, it wouldn't sell for *****.
Ralph Potts and billqs like this.

David Vaughn Blu-ray Reviewer / Technical Writer Sound & Vision Magazine (Print & Online)
post #6474 of 32133 Old 02-13-2016, 11:20 AM
Blu-ray Reviewer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave Vaughn View Post
Ralph,

I plan on testing this today with the stock remote by covering the player with cardboard and opening up small sections at a time to see what "area" responds to the remote and then trying to narrow down where the damn sensor is. Samsung is lucky they are first on the block with this player because if they weren't, it wouldn't sell for *****.
Greetings,

LOL! You've got that right Dave. Okay, let me know how you make out. I need to make some adjustments to the settings as I watched a few clips from The Martian and with the iris wide open and the lamp in high it was still very dark. I will setup up a UHD input on the projector and see what can be done in the gamma menu.

Regards,

Ralph C. Potts
Blu-ray Reviewer
My Home Theater
post #6475 of 32133 Old 02-13-2016, 11:33 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
it's hard to track, did anyone reporting issues have 4-6 foot cables? I found some old HDMI cable laying around for this setup. The player is right next to the JVC on my rack and a 25ft HDMI cable back to my Denon 4311. I turned it on, software update and ran through 1/2 dozen different tests with 1080 MKV, 4K UHD clips from USB, Youtube 4K streaming and saw the projector go into 24/60 mode and also 8 and 12 bit mode. I couldn't trip it up with those specific tests.

info Kris posted earlier for reference. With the Exodus HDR clip I was using Picture tone at 7 and dark level at 4. I'll start with the Martian since I also have the 3D BD here and know the content.

HDR clips don't work from the Roku 4 at all. I've tried numerous times. Also, the default values for Gamma D are pretty far off and don't give a very good image. It will look dim and crushed on the low end. I would recommend you plug these numbers in the gamma settings when you have gamma D selected:

Picture Tone: 14
Dark Level: 5
Bright Level: 6

You can experiment with picture tone a bit but I wouldn't recommend anything under 7.

I don't understand how cable length should matter if the length you are running supports FULL 18gbps.

Kevin

post #6476 of 32133 Old 02-13-2016, 11:40 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by tigerfan33 View Post
That got mine going with the insert disk to work.
Same thing as far as YouTube goes. Play anything 4K/60 and I go back to black screen.
I'll be returning mine Sunday to Best Buy....as I am scheduled to pickup my first UHD blu ray movie. Ironic huh. LOL
Has anyone tried to rule out the JVC as the root problem, cause I'm getting the impression catching up here it could be (i.e. - does anyone have a UHD TV which could be tested using the same longer cables)?

Kevin

post #6477 of 32133 Old 02-13-2016, 11:41 AM

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 614 Post(s)
Liked: 382
Quote:
I'm going to wait for an OPPO UHD BD player, probably a yr from now.
post #6478 of 32133 Old 02-13-2016, 11:46 AM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 616 Post(s)
Liked: 252
Quote:
Originally Posted by Manni01 View Post
By the way, anyone looking for more clarity on HDR, Spectracal have released a good webinar here: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=M0JA...ature=youtu.be

Well worth watching to better understand the various issues at play regarding HDR calibration, especially with projectors like the new JVCs and especially regarding HDR10.
Thanks for the link. Very informative, but all I can say is: what a mess. I just don't see this ever working.

As for color calibration, it was pretty clear that they think you should calibrate to rec2020 for UHD.
post #6479 of 32133 Old 02-13-2016, 11:52 AM

Quote:
I don't understand how cable length should matter if the length you are running supports FULL 18gbps.
you're about a day behind on the samsung saga..

The first night I had it, I updated the firmware and used it for about 2-3 hours testing Amazon streaming, Youtube 4K videos, UHD HDR demos from USB drive, UHD test patterns, etc. After the first BD player power cycle, the behavior is the same as others reported. I think something went wrong with their first firmware update.

I can still play UHD BD's fine and have 6 of them here to check out, so that's my main focus for now until either party fixes it.
post #6480 of 32133 Old 02-13-2016, 11:57 AM
Blu-ray Reviewer

Quote:
Greetings,

Okay, just did the same. I didn't get that response but had him escalate my complaint to higher level support.

Regards,

Ralph C. Potts
Blu-ray Reviewer
My Home Theater
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply Digital Hi-End Projectors - $3,000+ USD MSRP

Tags
jvc-rs500u synch/display issue? , RS600

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page