Official JVC RS600 / RS500 (X950R / X750R - X9000 / X7000) Owners Thread - Page 219 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 
 84804Likes

post #6541 of 32133 Old 02-13-2016, 04:28 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1895 Post(s)
Liked: 1293
Quote:
Originally Posted by zombie10k View Post

with a good cable, no issues playing back the UHD BD's.
thanks Zombie, any thoughts on how the jvc doing with the uhd blu-ray source vs basic blu-ray.

"Technology is a drug. We can't get enough of it."

Welcome to my lounge room :)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #6542 of 32133 Old 02-13-2016, 04:55 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 14 Post(s)
Quoted: 551 Post(s)
Liked: 441
Quote:
Originally Posted by anmg View Post
How can I tell if I am getting 8bit,10bit or 12 bit on my RS600?
Quote:
Originally Posted by Manni01 View Post
It will be displayed in the INFO screen (press the INFO key on the JVC remote).
If it's displaying none of those, do we know what it is? I'm connected through a Radiance Pro, and the Samsung menu comes up at 4k60 fine and shows 8-bit. However when watching Amazon UHD, the RS600 shows 4k24 but no bit depth.
post #6543 of 32133 Old 02-13-2016, 04:58 PM
GGA
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 303 Post(s)
Liked: 69
Quote:
Originally Posted by sjschaff View Post
Where did the Official JVC RS600 / RS500 (X950R / X750R - X9000 / X7000) Owners Thread go? I've heard of forking an OS but wouldn't a Samsung forum be far more appropriate for all of this discussion. Might attract more folks who are getting this particular player, and who'd benefit from experience here or others who've found other solutions?
I made the original post on the Samsung IR problem, some 8 hours ago. Using the same logic as you outlined I made an identical post at the same time in the Samsung K8500 Owner's thread. There has not been one reply to my post in the Owner's thread. Obviously they are all line of sight users!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #6544 of 32133 Old 02-13-2016, 05:05 PM
GGA
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ralph Potts View Post
Greetings,

Yes, it is working now. Strange I know, but when I tried it at the location specified in the manual and the photo posted earlier I got nothing. Once I got confirmation that it WOULD work I just took the IR emitter, my iPad (with iRule app/codes) and began sending the power toggle command while moving the emitter around the front panel. Trust me, on my Samsung player the sensor isn't on the right side of the USB port, it is located smack dab in the middle between the disc tray and USB port.
I placed the emitter between the disc tray and USB port and fired up the system. Works perfectly! Kudos to Ralph and Zombie for finding a solution. And kudos to anmg for prodding us along.

It seems the IR receiver can be found in two positions, as above and as per the manual. Very strange indeed and a nasty problem since the the only to determine which one you have is trial and error.

I have made an edit to my original post both here and in the K8500 Owner's thread stating that the information supplied by Samsung support is completely wrong. I can't imagine what he was thinking when he made all those definitive statements that the Samsung cannot be controlled with an emitter.
post #6545 of 32133 Old 02-13-2016, 05:17 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 97 Post(s)
Liked: 51
Just finished watching Maze Runner : The Scorch Trials without pause. My set up is Samsung direct to projector using 5 ft Monster cable referenced. My JVC settings are the original Zombie recommendations with iris adjustment to provide desired brightness for my screen size, screen type and throw distance. I am very pleased with the result but need to see more and varied 4k UHD discs and from other companies - particularly Sony.

Actually I found the Samsung plug and play except for the following issues -

- need to insert disc to get menu ( can live with this as I plan to use the Samsung mainly for discs)
- can't play U-Tube 4k/60 ( not a big issue as I can use Roku 4)
- Vudu App on the Samsung does not support 4kUHD yet. Should be fixed soon with firmware ( I hope)

Maze Runner offers a lot of material that really demonstrates HDR for dark scenes. I was attempted to make minor adjustments at times but resisted as problems I saw were likely source related. This allowed me to take in the movie experience. Actually, not a bad film. They even named the bad guys organization "Wicked" so your brain does not need to keep tabs. The closing 20 minutes is particularly good to see HDR effects.

I do quite a bit of streaming these days and find the Roku 4 (although not without its own problems) to do the job nicely.

I currently have an OPPO 103D hooked to the JVC 500 (HDMI 1) and it will likely remain my prime source for 1080p BDs. It is also direct to the JVC as my several year old high end DENON processor will not handle 4K
pass. This means I need to swap the Roku and Samsung input to HDMI 2 for streams that the Samsung can't handle. For me, this is not a big deal as I also have Roku 4 connected to LED TV in another room.

After installing the Monster cables about a month ago (after problems with three other brands) operation is very stable and I can enjoy this fantastic projector for movies. Many thanks to Zombie for the suggested starting setting an to many others on this forum for advice, hints and sharing experiences. This is my third projector (last one a Marantz) and took by far the most time to settle on installation and settings.

It appears that it may be months before HDR gains experience and settles down so some added custom settings for the JVC may be needed. I also hope that JVC can do a firmware fix to improve the very slow HDMI response and to address the sensitivity to HDMI cable performance.

Later this year I plan to add new 4k compatible pre/pro ( likely the new Marantz) and a refined OPPO player.

Would like a one box solution with excellent disc drive, built-in Darbee and Roku scope APPS. Latter is not likely to happen.
krichter1 and alebonau like this.

Last edited by Roger Mathus; 02-13-2016 at 05:20 PM.
post #6546 of 32133 Old 02-13-2016, 05:18 PM

Quoted: 16 Post(s)
Liked: 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by sjschaff View Post
Where did the Official JVC RS600 / RS500 (X950R / X750R - X9000 / X7000) Owners Thread go? I've heard of forking an OS but wouldn't a Samsung forum be far more appropriate for all of this discussion. Might attract more folks who are getting this particular player, and who'd benefit from experience here or others who've found other solutions?
I've asked a 600 question in this forum twice today, and when I return to see an answer, all I see is more talk about a Samsung Blu Ray player. Might we get the JVC forum back?
stef2 likes this.
post #6547 of 32133 Old 02-13-2016, 05:24 PM

Quoted: 97 Post(s)
Liked: 51
Quote:
Originally Posted by GGA View Post
I made the original post on the Samsung IR problem, some 8 hours ago. Using the same logic as you outlined I made an identical post at the same time in the Samsung K8500 Owner's thread. There has not been one reply to my post in the Owner's thread. Obviously they are all line of sight users!
I have had little help from that thread as I think the majority of posters there own Samsung UHD TVs and I am sure that the connections and issues have been well worked out by Samsung for that user. But the remote control unit from hell, How could Samsung have allowed it to be approved?
krichter1 likes this.
post #6548 of 32133 Old 02-13-2016, 05:25 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quoted: 434 Post(s)
Liked: 218
Official JVC RS600 / RS500 (X950R / X750R - X9000 / X7000) Owners Thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pannus View Post
I've asked a 600 question in this forum twice today, and when I return to see an answer, all I see is more talk about a Samsung Blu Ray player. Might we get the JVC forum back?

People are having issues with the Samsung AND their JVC projectors TOGETHER.
These are problems other displays are not having with the player.
Sorry for the inconvenience
seanbryan, krichter1 and billqs like this.
post #6549 of 32133 Old 02-13-2016, 05:30 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 29 Post(s)
Quoted: 1466 Post(s)
Liked: 2288
Also, most upgraded their projectors this year specifically for UHD content, so it's not off subject IMO.
RonF, seanbryan, krichter1 and 2 others like this.

David Vaughn Blu-ray Reviewer / Technical Writer Sound & Vision Magazine (Print & Online)
post #6550 of 32133 Old 02-13-2016, 05:39 PM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 466 Post(s)
Liked: 65
Can someone tell me how I can connect more than one 4k source to HDMI 1 on the 500?
I understand 4k material from Samsung, Roku, Fire, and Sony player to name a few are best served using HDMI 1 EDID A.
My AVR only has one pass through source. Thank you

I will ask in the AVR section too as I am debating getting a Roku soon.
post #6551 of 32133 Old 02-13-2016, 06:07 PM

Mentioned: 16 Post(s)
Quoted: 1210 Post(s)
Liked: 145
Quote:
For the Harmony, it was mentioned in the user's thread over the last couple of days I think, and an older model was also used as the 8500K is not in the database yet. Can't remember which post but you should find it if you read the thread since the player's release, or you can ask there: https://www.avsforum.com/forum/149-bl...-s-thread.html

EDIT: see below anmg's posts and pictures.
Yep. I'm able to easily sync Logitech and won't be touching Samsung control. All set :-)
post #6552 of 32133 Old 02-13-2016, 06:35 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quoted: 746 Post(s)
Liked: 515
Quote:
Originally Posted by Carrick View Post
Can someone tell me how I can connect more than one 4k source to HDMI 1 on the 500?
I understand 4k material from Samsung, Roku, Fire, and Sony player to name a few are best served using HDMI 1 EDID A.

Technology marches along and other components have to keep up. You either need a receiver that accepts more than 1 4k source or you need a 4k switch box. Are 4k switch boxes even available? I haven't looked.
post #6553 of 32133 Old 02-13-2016, 07:10 PM

Quoted: 41 Post(s)
Liked: 38
I purchased the RS-600 as a replacement for my RS66, which was a replacement for my first projector the RS35. All three I have purchased from AVS.

I've only had a few hours to play around, and this meant to be a review more about my third projector purchase from AVS, as opposed to the projector itself.

I emailed Mike about potentially buying the RS600, with mainly the same question I had in buying the 66 over the 35, would there be a noticeable difference in overall picture quality? I've run the same Stewart Studiotek G3 123" screen with all three projectors, in a light controlled room. Whereas the RS35 seemed like it was peaked out for brightness at that size, the 66 handled it very well. It's always nice to have a bit more light output but the main thing I was looking for was a bit more light output with a bit more contrast. I was hoping to be able to close the iris to accomplish this.

Mike assured me there would be a noticeable difference, so I ordered the projector the next day. I didn't have time to set things up until last Sunday morning, as I planned to watch the Super Bowl on the new projector. After hooking everything up, I tried to turn the projector on and the lens cover or lens motor was dead on arrival. All the lights flashed on either three or four times. I emailed back to Mike on Sunday, explaining things weren't working and he gave me a couple of tips. Neither of which worked and the projector unfortunately was DOA. Monday I received an email from the shipping department at AVS and a new projector was at my door Friday afternoon (three days of transit).

DOA electronics happen, I am actually shocked that this is the first time I remember this happening in a few years; however, it's not the fault of AVS. I was very happy that in only one business day they had turned a new projector around.

Overall, I would continue to recommend AVS to anyone that is looking for a new projector. I would say after watching four movies in the last 36 hours, there is a demonstrative improvement of the RS600 over the RS66. The gamma correction appears significantly more accurate and bright scenes seem to have significantly more pop. As was the case with the RS66, my guess is I will wait to write a more definitive review of the advantages of the 600 over the 66, in the same way I was going to write a review of the 66 vs the 35 and after a couple of years, I will buy something new.
Mike Garrett likes this.

Last edited by Yoxxy; 02-13-2016 at 07:13 PM.
post #6554 of 32133 Old 02-13-2016, 08:54 PM
AVS Forum Addicted Member

Mentioned: 241 Post(s)
Quoted: 12542 Post(s)
Liked: 10154
Send a message via Skype™ to Mike Garrett
Quote:
Originally Posted by R Harkness View Post
The IR issue is insane if true. It would make it a no-brainer to cancel my order since the player would be useless to me (and many others no doubt). It would almost be a relief at this point, given the gnashing-of-teeth this player seems to be causing almost every owner to some degree.
I'm still going to keep my order in for now, in case issues get solved enough to make it worth keeping.
Looks like IR is not an issue. Earlier poster, just had the emitter in the wrong location. I may go ahead and buy the unit.
MJV29 likes this.
post #6555 of 32133 Old 02-13-2016, 08:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by krichter1 View Post
I think I'm w/ Mike and may cancel & wait for the THX Panny.

The prototype of the Panny in Japan has been playing nice with the JVC, but that does not guarantee that the US production model will be trouble free. It does give it a very good chance that it will be a good working unit. I also hope that it has IP control capability. I do not use any emitters in my system and I would like to keep it that way.
krichter1 and MJV29 like this.
post #6556 of 32133 Old 02-13-2016, 09:00 PM
Industry Insider

Mentioned: 81 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 6679 Post(s)
Liked: 6674
Quote:
Originally Posted by krichter1 View Post
I think I'm w/ Mike and may cancel & wait for the THX Panny.
New tech usually has issues, Samsung will work it out sooner or later, hopefully sooner. Panasonic makes some great products though
krichter1 likes this.
post #6557 of 32133 Old 02-13-2016, 09:02 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
Quoted: 2105 Post(s)
Liked: 2382
Quote:
If one waits, one should wait for the Sony or the Oppo, which will have Dolby Vision, but will come in the summer (when the DV chipsets become available) at the earliest, more likely Q3 or Q4 2016.

The Panasonic is pointless (to me). It costs twice the price of the Samsung, but without Dolby Vision. Unless you believe in analog out for immersive sound (impossible, so completely pointless) or in the magical chroma upscaling (sure, that will make a huge difference), or in the value of a THX badge (when did it last make a difference?), I don't see the point.

IMHO, the choice is either to get the Samsung now to get in early and pay the price of being an early adopter, use it as a temporary player until a fully compliant one (i.e. NOT the Panasonic) becomes available later this year, or wait for a proper player, which will cost the same price as the Panasonic (Oppo) or likely less (Sony) if what you want is something you can keep a few years.

Most UHD Blurays will have Dolby Vision. When your display supports Dolby Vision (hopefully the JVC and Sony projectors next year), you will want to have Dolby Vision, if only because it's possible to calibrate accurately with DV, unlike HDR10.

Just my .2c of course .

I'll be buying the Samsung as soon as it lands in the UK, and I plan to sell it for the first decent fully compliant UHD Bluray player, i.e. with Dolby Vision, unless Cyberlink has delivered the goods by then and I can use my HTPC to play UHD Blurays with PowerDVD (it will likely take more time for non licensed options to become a reality, if ever).

Oh will you stop always making sense… it's killin' me!

I just want something that works but maybe going thru the 7200WA might make it do just that (I think as usual Ron could be right on the voltage and going thru a receiver would help make it work with my Cabernet cables). For the price it may still be worth it (and like you said earlier about expectations… it's cutting edge and sometimes you should expect to be cut.
billqs, Ximori and Manni01 like this.

Kevin

You only live once, but if you live it right, once is enough.
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

==> Our 4K/3D Immersive Theater
post #6558 of 32133 Old 02-13-2016, 09:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by GGA View Post
I placed the emitter between the disc tray and USB port and fired up the system. Works perfectly! Kudos to Ralph and Zombie for finding a solution. And kudos to anmg for prodding us along.

It seems the IR receiver can be found in two positions, as above and as per the manual. Very strange indeed and a nasty problem since the the only to determine which one you have is trial and error.

I have made an edit to my original post both here and in the K8500 Owner's thread stating that the information supplied by Samsung support is completely wrong. I can't imagine what he was thinking when he made all those definitive statements that the Samsung cannot be controlled with an emitter.
I am pretty confident the emitter is not in two different locations. That would mean two different boards and I doubt that is possible coming off the same assembly line.
post #6559 of 32133 Old 02-13-2016, 09:24 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 26 Post(s)
Quoted: 794 Post(s)
Liked: 1130
Quote:
I just now hooked up my new Samsung 8500 to my JVC RS600. Everything went very smooth the first time with success. Since a lot of people are having difficulty with this I thought I would list my equipment and process. The Samsung is connected to a Pioneer SC97 AVR via a Monoprice 6ft 18gbs HDMI cable, then a 40ft Monoprice redmere 18gbs HDMI cable to input #2 on the RS600. When I turned my system on the Samsung immediately asked to do a software update which took 3-5 minutes. The player menu then came up. I watched a 4k 3680 60fps video on Youtube. It looked incredible. The only change I made from default was to set deep color on the Samsung to Auto. I don't have a 4k bluray yet but will have on Monday.

I also changed my Harmony remote to include the new Samsung in the Bluray activity. No problems. I did tape an IR sensor to the front of the 8500. The Harmony controls the Samsung perfectly. No need to point the remote at the player.

It sounds like your AVR is limiting your connection to 4K/60 4:2:0 8 bit.

If you connect the player direct to the projector it would try to connect at 4K/60 at 4:4:4 8 bit. This is why most people are having a problem.

That's why members using AVRs or Radiance Pro or integral are able to maintain a reliable connection.

Last edited by ccool96; 02-13-2016 at 10:48 PM.
post #6560 of 32133 Old 02-13-2016, 09:30 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 26 Post(s)
Quoted: 794 Post(s)
Liked: 1130
Quote:
Originally Posted by dlinsley View Post
Quote:
How can I tell if I am getting 8bit,10bit or 12 bit on my RS600?
Quote:
It will be displayed in the INFO screen (press the INFO key on the JVC remote).
If it's displaying none of those, do we know what it is? I'm connected through a Radiance Pro, and the Samsung menu comes up at 4k60 fine and shows 8-bit. However when watching Amazon UHD, the RS600 shows 4k24 but no bit depth.
You can't get anymore than 8bit connection thru Radiance Pro. I have confirmed this with Jim Peterson.

Radinace pro is capable of 12 bit but only when it receives a 4K signal at 4:2:2 output.

The Sammy outputs at 4:4:4 so the Radiance is limiting you to 4K/24 4:4:4 8bit or 4K/60 4:2:0 8bit.
krichter1 likes this.
post #6561 of 32133 Old 02-14-2016, 01:04 AM

Quoted: 23 Post(s)
Liked: 12
Just finished the Martian uhd and it was amazing. Very clear no issues. Started on low lamp and things where too dim switched to high (di on iris at 0) and the brightness was just about perfect. When they shine a flashlight or something at you it feels like real life where you have to close your eyes it's so bright, same thing when the cameras are flashing at the press event. It's great the delta between regular scenes and these quick moments when something blinding happens. I am using a screen that even though claims to be 1 gain is prolly a little negative and its a 135 inch 2.35:1. The Jvc puts out crazy light when it needs to even with the p3 filter on

Last edited by Flick556; 02-14-2016 at 01:18 AM.
post #6562 of 32133 Old 02-14-2016, 01:20 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 332 Post(s)
Quoted: 5461 Post(s)
Liked: 5672
Quote:
Originally Posted by dlinsley View Post

If you have a D&M AVR, you can look at the HDMI info screen in the AVR, which shows what comes in and what goes out. It's a good troubleshooting tool.

Usually if no bit depth info is displayed it's because it's 12bits YCC, not RGB, but I haven't tested a new JVC with the Samsung so I'm not 100% sure.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Carrick View Post

You can get an HD Fury Integral, it has two HDMI in and two HDMI out, all 18Gb/s HDMI 2.0a / HDCP 2.2 compliant, and you can set it so it switches automatically to the active input.
post #6563 of 32133 Old 02-14-2016, 01:29 AM

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 1135 Post(s)
Liked: 1767
Quote:
Originally Posted by Flick556 View Post
I am using a screen that even though claims to be 1 gain is prolly a little negative and its a 135 inch 2.35:1. The Jvc puts out crazy light when it needs to even with the p3 filter on
Imagine some of those highlights being 10 times brighter or more than what you were watching, like the content can ask for and that some TVs now and in the future can do. Although 10x measured brightness doesn't tend to look like nearly that much.

--Darin
post #6564 of 32133 Old 02-14-2016, 02:44 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 30 Post(s)
Quoted: 2626 Post(s)
Liked: 2133
Quote:
Originally Posted by ccool96 View Post
You can't get anymore than 8bit connection thru Radiance Pro. I have confirmed this with Jim Peterson.

Radinace pro is capable of 12 bit but only when it receives a 4K signal at 4:2:2 output.

The Sammy outputs at 4:4:4 so the Radiance is limiting you to 4K/24 4:4:4 8bit or 4K/60 4:2:0 8bit.
Will this change when lumagen releases their 18 gbps HDMI upgrade boards?
post #6565 of 32133 Old 02-14-2016, 06:02 AM

Mentioned: 16 Post(s)
Quoted: 1210 Post(s)
Liked: 145
Quote:
Just finished the Martian uhd and it was amazing. Very clear no issues. Started on low lamp and things where too dim switched to high (di on iris at 0) and the brightness was just about perfect. When they shine a flashlight or something at you it feels like real life where you have to close your eyes it's so bright, same thing when the cameras are flashing at the press event. It's great the delta between regular scenes and these quick moments when something blinding happens. I am using a screen that even though claims to be 1 gain is prolly a little negative and its a 135 inch 2.35:1. The Jvc puts out crazy light when it needs to even with the p3 filter on
What's your prjector settings for 4k bluray? You mentioned p3 filter. How did u engage it? Thx
post #6566 of 32133 Old 02-14-2016, 06:17 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quoted: 434 Post(s)
Liked: 218
Has anyone had any luck getting the JVC and Sammy blu ray staying connected and working without any problems straight to eachother?
If so what length of HDMI?
post #6567 of 32133 Old 02-14-2016, 06:28 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 590 Post(s)
Liked: 515
Quote:
Originally Posted by SherazNJ View Post
What's your prjector settings for 4k bluray? You mentioned p3 filter. How did u engage it? Thx
The Reference Color Profile engages the P3 filter. For UHD Blu-rays, you'll also want to set Gamma to "D" for HDR content. In the Gamma D advanced menu, set Picture Tone to +16. Others have mentioned also raising the Dark Level and Bright Level settings, but in the limited testing that I've done, the default "0" settings looked better to me.
post #6568 of 32133 Old 02-14-2016, 07:37 AM

Picture Tone: 14
Dark Level: 5
Bright Level: 6
Refrence color profile
Bulb high dynamic iris on 0

These where posted earlier and worked for me with no changes needed

I think regardless of your setup for normal content for this you want the iris wide open and di on. This gives the projector the headroom to handle the really bright stuff and will still stay clamped down for the rest of the film. I think the di works different when it's doing HDR

Last edited by Flick556; 02-14-2016 at 07:43 AM.
post #6569 of 32133 Old 02-14-2016, 07:46 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by darinp2 View Post
Quote:
I am using a screen that even though claims to be 1 gain is prolly a little negative and its a 135 inch 2.35:1. The Jvc puts out crazy light when it needs to even with the p3 filter on
Imagine some of those highlights being 10 times brighter or more than what you were watching, like the content can ask for and that some TVs now and in the future can do. Although 10x measured brightness doesn't tend to look like nearly that much.

--Darin
Yea it's pretty crazy to imagine that much brightness but TVs probably need 10 times the brightness or more to create the same effect in a normal living room setup vs a theatre.
post #6570 of 32133 Old 02-14-2016, 08:33 AM
GGA
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike Garrett View Post
Looks like IR is not an issue. Earlier poster, just had the emitter in the wrong location. I may go ahead and buy the unit.
You have that backward. For Ralph Potts and me we had to put the emitter in the wrong location, to the left of the USB input, for it to work. anmg put his emitter in the right location, to the right of the USB input as per the manual, for it to work. Would love to hear an explanation for that.

For people who have not read this thread how will they know where to put the emitter?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply Digital Hi-End Projectors - $3,000+ USD MSRP

Tags
jvc-rs500u synch/display issue? , RS600

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page