Official JVC RS600 / RS500 (X950R / X750R - X9000 / X7000) Owners Thread - Page 385 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 
 84884Likes

post #11521 of 32277 Old 06-15-2016, 12:52 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 801 Post(s)
Liked: 317
Quote:
Originally Posted by DavidHir View Post
That's what bothers me about these catalog offerings with HDR. At minimum, the filmmaker(s) should be involved if they are going to HDR them but I heard nothing of the sort for these three (GB I &II and ID4). Otherwise, they should just release them with SDR and 2020.
I don't want the filmmaker(s) involved in a process which they don't understand. Let the pros handle it. I could be wrong, but the analogy I'm thinking of is with analog recordings and the role of the mastering engineer. I can say for certain that the likes of Kevin Gray and Steve Hoffman don't need anyone telling them how to get the most from the analog source.

HT: Panasonic DP-UB820 | JVC RS600 | 106" x 45" Stewart ST 100 | Cary Audio Cinema 12 | NAD M27 | Elac Uni-Fi UF5, UC5, Debut F5/B6; Focal CMS Sub
STEREO: [Shunyata Denali] Playback Designs MPS-5 (fully upgraded) | Cary Audio SLP-05 tube line level | Cary Audio SA-200.2 ES | Focal Diablo Utopia III DEN: 60" Panasonic VT60
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #11522 of 32277 Old 06-15-2016, 01:01 PM
AVS Forum Addicted Member

Mentioned: 31 Post(s)
Quoted: 2619 Post(s)
Liked: 2325
Quote:
Originally Posted by jh901 View Post
I don't want the filmmaker(s) involved in a process which they don't understand. Let the pros handle it. I could be wrong, but the analogy I'm thinking of is with analog recordings and the role of the mastering engineer. I can say for certain that the likes of Kevin Gray and Steve Hoffman don't need anyone telling them how to get the most from the analog source.
I'm talking about something different here. No different from when a filmmaker is involved in a new film scan guiding how the movie should look in terms of color, shadows, highlights, etc. The filmmaker's vision needs to be conveyed properly and not arbitrarily done by some technician who doesn't have a clue as has happened all too often with DVD and BD. If the filmmaker has passed away or is not available, at least you've got an answer print and other film elements which are typically used (and still used even when they are involved). However, with HDR it just opens up a whole new can of worms on catalogs that can potentially destroy the director's intention of what the movie should look like. Has this happened with the Ghostbuster movies? Film restorer Robert Harris has talked about this quite a bit on another forum. He recently restored My Fair Lady and when asked the question if it should be HDR'd, his firm reply was no.

If the filmmaker is involved and wants to do a revisionist project on an older movie incorporating HDR, I don't have a big problem with it although I still prefer the original look of the movie whenever possible.
Manni01 likes this.
post #11523 of 32277 Old 06-15-2016, 01:03 PM

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 615 Post(s)
Liked: 382
Quote:
Originally Posted by claw View Post
I posted that I tried this earlier this morning. The warning indicator was still on from the previous night. Lamp indicator was flashing. Standby indicator was on. I unplugged the projector from power......
At this stage can you turn the pj 'off' without unplugging it?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #11524 of 32277 Old 06-15-2016, 01:07 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 97 Post(s)
Quoted: 2447 Post(s)
Liked: 2298
Quote:
Originally Posted by millerwill View Post
At this stage can you turn the pj 'off' without unplugging it?
No. I have to unplug the projector to get the warning indicators to turn off.

CJ
JVC RS500|LG B7A OLED|Denon X6400H/X4200W|Panasonic UB820|Two Oppo 203|Samsung K8500|Apple TV 4K|HDfury Diva/Vertex/Linker/Integral
post #11525 of 32277 Old 06-15-2016, 01:13 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:

If the filmmaker is involved and wants to do a revisionist project on an older movie incorporating HDR, I don't have a big problem with it although I still prefer the original look of the movie whenever possible.
I'll pass. I suppose we differ in opinion.

My experience comes from years as an audiophile during the digital era when back catalog tapes by the thousands were transferred to CD or SACD. The tapes tell the tale and that source is all the top mastering engineers need. I want to hear what's captured on that tape. Frankly, I'm owed that. I expressly don't want an artificially "modernized" sound. Musicians should stick to making the music. Likewise, actors, producers, directors, and cinematographers should stay out of the transfer process. Of course, this presumes that there are video transfer pros who are as good at what they do as the top mastering engineers in the music business.

HT: Panasonic DP-UB820 | JVC RS600 | 106" x 45" Stewart ST 100 | Cary Audio Cinema 12 | NAD M27 | Elac Uni-Fi UF5, UC5, Debut F5/B6; Focal CMS Sub
STEREO: [Shunyata Denali] Playback Designs MPS-5 (fully upgraded) | Cary Audio SLP-05 tube line level | Cary Audio SA-200.2 ES | Focal Diablo Utopia III DEN: 60" Panasonic VT60
post #11526 of 32277 Old 06-15-2016, 01:18 PM

Mentioned: 256 Post(s)
Quoted: 12850 Post(s)
Liked: 10486
Send a message via Skype™ to Mike Garrett
Quote:
I posted that I tried this earlier this morning. The warning indicator was still on from the previous night. Lamp indicator was flashing. Standby indicator was on. I unplugged the projector from power. When I reestablished power, only the Standby indicator was on. I turned the projector on. Indicator went to Green, but no light from lamp and eventually the Lamp indicator went back to flashing and the Warning indicator also came on.
You saw my reply to your PM?
post #11527 of 32277 Old 06-15-2016, 01:23 PM

Mentioned: 169 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 5454 Post(s)
Liked: 5860
kevin - still working on it, problem is the intense amount of work to set up the ceiling speakers in my setup. Maybe an end of summer project.

did you get the IMAX Journey to space yet? All 3 disks have ATMOS and the 3D is the go-to disk. UHD looked good but so flat in comparison. especially the space walk scenes. No amount of HDR or 10 bit color can trade off the immersive feeling of 3D shot with IMAX film cameras.

Claw - that is how my first RS600 met it's demise. keep an eye on it to make sure it doesn't keep happening. Mine eventually did it every time I fired up the projector, it was not the lamp. Replacement has been excellent and was also a much better sample than the batch 1 projectors I had here (total of 5).
krichter1 likes this.
post #11528 of 32277 Old 06-15-2016, 01:57 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike Garrett View Post
You saw my reply to your PM?
Yes, just did. Don't have the information requested until I get home.

CJ
JVC RS500|LG B7A OLED|Denon X6400H/X4200W|Panasonic UB820|Two Oppo 203|Samsung K8500|Apple TV 4K|HDfury Diva/Vertex/Linker/Integral
post #11529 of 32277 Old 06-15-2016, 02:00 PM

Quote:
I'll pass. I suppose we differ in opinion.

My experience comes from years as an audiophile during the digital era when back catalog tapes by the thousands were transferred to CD or SACD. The tapes tell the tale and that source is all the top mastering engineers need. I want to hear what's captured on that tape. Frankly, I'm owed that. I expressly don't want an artificially "modernized" sound. Musicians should stick to making the music. Likewise, actors, producers, directors, and cinematographers should stay out of the transfer process. Of course, this presumes that there are video transfer pros who are as good at what they do as the top mastering engineers in the music business.
I think we talking about different things. Analog film is more complex as there is a chemical process sometimes involved, but also digital too. The filmmaker has to be involved because there are too many decisions that need to made for how it will look. That doesn't mean he or she is telling the technician what software, what scanner, or "how" to do it - only the "what" or what it should look like. For example, when you go back to the original negative for a scan you're dealing with a black and white image. From there, film elements need to be used come up with "color". There are a lot of ways this can turn out. You're also dealing with things such shadow detail, film grain structure/film grain management, contrast, etc. Since the age of DI's this is really no longer an issue. Digital film has made it much easier, but I'm referring to 35/65mm filmed movies as far as the work that is entailed.

But even with audio, the filmmaker is/should be involved with how he wants the film to sound. It's his or her movie - not the technician. I want to see/hear the filmmaker's intentions - not what some engineer thinks it should be. That would be very arrogant on the engineer's part. The engineer is there to serve the filmmaker by taking his requirements and producing them. This is how it works (or is supposed to). We're also talking art ultimately with film and engineers are not artists (although I am not suggesting many movies today are 'art' as they are crap, but just saying they are an art form if you will).
Bill DePalma, Manni01 and Javs like this.

Last edited by DavidHir; 06-15-2016 at 02:11 PM.
post #11530 of 32277 Old 06-15-2016, 03:09 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Quoted: 1983 Post(s)
Liked: 1373
The ghost buster makers haven't passed on though have they ?

I am not so concerned with old films. There have been lovely restorations of old old flicks. Lawrence of Arabia, sound of music etc. they are best we have ever seen them. These are very old films. Can think of only one film in restoration that was botched ... Patton...

Why shouldn't makers utilise every aspect in their realm to have these older films looking the best They ever have. This is art and I just see it as what's done with old masterpieces eg paintings even if the painter has long gone. They bring out old tones long lost. Restoring lustre and such. Why limit to the color palette or capabilities of our older systems when new allows more ... Bring it on
post #11531 of 32277 Old 06-15-2016, 03:19 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 24 Post(s)
Quoted: 697 Post(s)
Liked: 583
Quote:
Originally Posted by alebonau View Post
Harold Ramis, RIP
post #11532 of 32277 Old 06-15-2016, 03:33 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 43 Post(s)
Quoted: 2752 Post(s)
Liked: 1964
Quote:
I'm talking about something different here. No different from when a filmmaker is involved in a new film scan guiding how the movie should look in terms of color, shadows, highlights, etc. The filmmaker's vision needs to be conveyed properly and not arbitrarily done by some technician who doesn't have a clue as has happened all too often with DVD and BD. If the filmmaker has passed away or is not available, at least you've got an answer print and other film elements which are typically used (and still used even when they are involved). However, with HDR it just opens up a whole new can of worms on catalogs that can potentially destroy the director's intention of what the movie should look like. Has this happened with the Ghostbuster movies? Film restorer Robert Harris has talked about this quite a bit on another forum. He recently restored My Fair Lady and when asked the question if it should be HDR'd, his firm reply was no.

Quote:
I think we talking about different things. Analog film is more complex as there is a chemical process sometimes involved, but also digital too. The filmmaker has to be involved because there are too many decisions that need to made for how it will look. That doesn't mean he or she is telling the technician what software, what scanner, or "how" to do it - only the "what" or what it should look like. For example, when you go back to the original negative for a scan you're dealing with a black and white image. From there, film elements need to be used come up with "color". There are a lot of ways this can turn out. You're also dealing with things such shadow detail, film grain structure/film grain management, contrast, etc. Since the age of DI's this is really no longer an issue. Digital film has made it much easier, but I'm referring to 35/65mm filmed movies as far as the work that is entailed.

But even with audio, the filmmaker is/should be involved with how he wants the film to sound. It's his or her movie - not the technician. I want to see/hear the filmmaker's intentions - not what some engineer thinks it should be. That would be very arrogant on the engineer's part. The engineer is there to serve the filmmaker by taking his requirements and producing them. This is how it works (or is supposed to). We're also talking art ultimately with film and engineers are not artists (although I am not suggesting many movies today are 'art' as they are crap, but just saying they are an art form if you will).
I'd love to read that Robert Harris statement. Do you have a link?

In general, HDR has the POTENTIAL to better convey the original film presentation, since film presentation has a wider dynamic range than SDR video.

I am NOT talking about increasing the dynamic range in an artificial manner, but just capturing the analog film in a more accurate manner.

In practice, with HDR standards so poorly implemented, I think the risk of error is far greater than the benefit of getting that additional couple stops of dynamic range portrayed in a new transfer.
Manni01 likes this.
post #11533 of 32277 Old 06-15-2016, 03:56 PM

Mentioned: 124 Post(s)
Quoted: 7258 Post(s)
Liked: 8697
Quote:

I am not so concerned with old films. There have been lovely restorations of old old flicks. Lawrence of Arabia, sound of music etc. they are best we have ever seen them. These are very old films. Can think of only one film in restoration that was botched ... Patton...

Why shouldn't makers utilise every aspect in their realm to have these older films looking the best They ever have. This is art and I just see it as what's done with old masterpieces eg paintings even if the painter has long gone. They bring out old tones long lost. Restoring lustre and such. Why limit to the color palette or capabilities of our older systems when new allows more ... Bring it on
Will those look better with HDR though ?
post #11534 of 32277 Old 06-15-2016, 04:23 PM

Quote:
No. I have to unplug the projector to get the warning indicators to turn off.
OK, so it seems that your problem is different from what I had.
post #11535 of 32277 Old 06-15-2016, 04:24 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:

I'm referring to analog films which have been released in the past. Whatever processes that were needed to establish the original look of the film have been decided. Seems to me that the digital transfer should be carried out such that the original analog look is maintained as best as possible. As for sound, I was drawing an analogy to music recordings originally recorded on magnetic tape. The final mix is well established. The mastering engineering uses the best stereo or mono source tapes to transfer to digital. So much can go wrong. Recording engineers and artists have no expertise despite whatever opinions they might come up with 40 years after the original recording. The top mastering engineers should be left to do their work. I'm not sure about film soundtracks, but perfection isn't as necessary (for home theater). My concern is with the 4K/HDR image quality of 20th century films. This is the last chance in our lifetimes, perhaps, to get really close to archive quality.

Last edited by jh901; 06-15-2016 at 04:30 PM.
post #11536 of 32277 Old 06-15-2016, 04:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nathan_h View Post
I'd love to read that Robert Harris statement. Do you have a link?

In general, HDR has the POTENTIAL to better convey the original film presentation, since film presentation has a wider dynamic range than SDR video.

I am NOT talking about increasing the dynamic range in an artificial manner, but just capturing the analog film in a more accurate manner.

In practice, with HDR standards so poorly implemented, I think the risk of error is far greater than the benefit of getting that additional couple stops of dynamic range portrayed in a new transfer.
I read it over at Home Theater Forum where he posts regularly. But if go to the Blu-ray section there and I *think* it was in the My Fair Lady thread. If not, try a Google with: HDR, My Fair Lady, Robert Harris, Home Theater Forum.
nathan_h likes this.
post #11537 of 32277 Old 06-15-2016, 04:40 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:

Wow. Yeah, let's forget about the 20th century films. Old stuff. Pfft.

So many great Criterion blu-ray releases on sale (40% off) at B&N and combine with various discount codes this month to get great prices yet any random UHD at $30 is the priority. Personal. Preference.

post #11538 of 32277 Old 06-15-2016, 05:12 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 499 Post(s)
Quoted: 6937 Post(s)
Liked: 6643
Quote:
I'm referring to analog films which have been released in the past. Whatever processes that were needed to establish the original look of the film have been decided. Seems to me that the digital transfer should be carried out such that the original analog look is maintained as best as possible. As for sound, I was drawing an analogy to music recordings originally recorded on magnetic tape. The final mix is well established. The mastering engineering uses the best stereo or mono source tapes to transfer to digital. So much can go wrong. Recording engineers and artists have no expertise despite whatever opinions they might come up with 40 years after the original recording. The top mastering engineers should be left to do their work. I'm not sure about film soundtracks, but perfection isn't as necessary (for home theater). My concern is with the 4K/HDR image quality of 20th century films. This is the last chance in our lifetimes, perhaps, to get really close to archive quality.

Audio restoration cannot be compared to video in film restoration, although it is one single thread in the process.

As soon as you mess with the colour grade in any way, especially by creating an HDR grade of a film you need to get the film makers involved otherwise you are changing the directors intent.

If the director is alive the HDR conversion if at all should be done completely within their oversight, as that had the potential to significantly alter the character of the film.

You need to give directors more credit than you are, they are the paint brush wielders and they are the professionals when it comes to bringing all the elements together to create the finished product by directing the individuals involved.

The newest Blade Runner Final Cut was done completely within Ridley Scotts oversight and it looks fantastic.

I would not presume to go an start messing around with a restoration of Close Encounters without consulting Spielberg. If you wouldn't dare touch a film like that without consulting the director first then every other film and film maker should certainly be extended the same courtesy. If they are not alive, then the films next of kin should be consulted, cinematographer, producer etc...

A musician only plays an instrument where as a director is more like an orchestral composer, you would not go changing to tune of their instruments and alter the sound of the violins without consulting them as you potentially depart from the original ideals of the piece/film.

JVC X9500 (RS620) | 120" 16:9 | Marantz AV7702 MkII | Emotiva XPA-7 | DIY Modular Towers | DIY TPL-150 Surrounds | DIY Atmos | DIY 18" Subs
-
MadVR Settings | UHD Waveform Analysis | Arve Tool Instructions + V3 Javs Curves
post #11539 of 32277 Old 06-15-2016, 05:34 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 43 Post(s)
Quoted: 2752 Post(s)
Liked: 1964
Quote:
Originally Posted by Javs View Post
Audio restoration cannot be compared to video in film restoration, although it is one single thread in the process.

As soon as you mess with the colour grade in any way, especially by creating an HDR grade of a film you need to get the film makers involved otherwise you are changing the directors intent.

If the director is alive the HDR conversion if at all should be done completely within their oversight, as that had the potential to significantly alter the character of the film.

You need to give directors more credit than you are, they are the paint brush wielders and they are the professionals when it comes to bringing all the elements together to create the finished product by directing the individuals involved.

The newest Blade Runner Final Cut was done completely within Ridley Scotts oversight and it looks fantastic.

I would not presume to go an start messing around with a restoration of Close Encounters without consulting Spielberg. If you wouldn't dare touch a film like that without consulting the director first then every other film and film maker should certainly be extended the same courtesy. If they are not alive, then the films next of kin should be consulted, cinematographer, producer etc...

A musician only plays an instrument where as a director is more like an orchestral composer, you would not go changing to tune of their instruments and alter the sound of the violins without consulting them as you potentially depart from the original ideals of the piece/film.
I agree that if one is changing the visuals, getting the Director is key, but I think the ideal for HDR is different for catalog titles. It's not about CHANGING the original film. It's simply about preserving it better.

1080p REC709 SDR cannot capture the fill color gamut nor the full dynamic range of 35mm film -- nor all the detail.

REC2020 HDR 2160p can.

So without changing the director's intent, REC2020 HDR can actually capture the director's intent BETTER than REC709 SDR.

Will people succumb to the temptation to fiddle with the original? Probably in some cases. But hopefully that is the exception, after some time.
krichter1 likes this.
post #11540 of 32277 Old 06-15-2016, 05:56 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 499 Post(s)
Quoted: 6937 Post(s)
Liked: 6643
Quote:
Originally Posted by nathan_h View Post
I agree that if one is changing the visuals, getting the Director is key, but I think the ideal for HDR is different for catalog titles. It's not about CHANGING the original film. It's simply about preserving it better.

1080p REC709 SDR cannot capture the fill color gamut nor the full dynamic range of 35mm film -- nor all the detail.

REC2020 HDR 2160p can.

So without changing the director's intent, REC2020 HDR can actually capture the director's intent BETTER than REC709 SDR.

Will people succumb to the temptation to fiddle with the original? Probably in some cases. But hopefully that is the exception, after some time.

Rec2020 I agree with, HDR I do not. Thats why it sucks they are exclusive to each other on the new format.

JVC X9500 (RS620) | 120" 16:9 | Marantz AV7702 MkII | Emotiva XPA-7 | DIY Modular Towers | DIY TPL-150 Surrounds | DIY Atmos | DIY 18" Subs
-
MadVR Settings | UHD Waveform Analysis | Arve Tool Instructions + V3 Javs Curves
post #11541 of 32277 Old 06-15-2016, 06:35 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Quoted: 930 Post(s)
Liked: 642
Quote:
Originally Posted by krichter1 View Post
I know you're still draggin' ars on pulling the Denon immersive plug but I'm mostly buying for the excellent/gushing review Ralph gave these new ATMOS soundtracks (even Ghostbusters sounded good and like I replied to you last week… the version of The Wall in ATMOS was just awesome at reference level!… well until the neighbors called to cops on me!

I bet those movies will just destroy my room (why not destroy my corneas too!).
I can only imagine"The Wall/Waters" sounding MINT in Atmos, it sounds awesome in stereo.
They did a really great job on that IMO...I was pretty impressed.
Once I get some more spending $I'm upgrading to Atmos/DTSX(Which doesn't seem to be doing as well...YET!).

Why waste $ on more cheap stuff, it's like challenging a dragon with a pocket knife.
post #11542 of 32277 Old 06-15-2016, 07:23 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

The Star Trek Into Darkness UHD disc contains the IMAX version of the film in 2.35:1 aspect ratio with select IMAX scenes included in 1.78:1.

I found the aspect ratio changes to be pretty seamless. It was only when there were several changes in a single scene that I even noticed.

With the number of aspect ration changes in this disc, I would think it would be distracting with a 2:35 screen.
krichter1 likes this.

CJ
post #11543 of 32277 Old 06-15-2016, 07:28 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 16 Post(s)
Quoted: 1247 Post(s)
Liked: 762
Quote:
ID4 and the imax space discs arrived today...but wasnt brave enough to order the star trek duo... I shudder to think what they will sell for locally as well ...they are must buys for me though...so perhaps with some others might be doing a bulk buy when these drop back to sane prices !
Al I got both Star Treks that are arriving today for $29.99 from Amazon, they discounted them back on the pre-order.

Quote:
Originally Posted by krichter1 View Post
I too watched GBII last night using the Integral in SDR mode (EDID 10), and found NO smearing whatsoever (spent most of my time looking for it rather than enjoying such a cheeeezy movie! )

This is one case where SDR looked better IMO than HDR (I feel like the grain kept in both I & II were sooo exacerbated in HDR it made it virtually unwatchable). I will say the only small benefit I saw were during the Proton Pak scenes (don't forget… never cross your streams!), which looked great.

Thx for the feedback against the Min4K versions Oz (which I own and will review and if basically the same might consider selling the 4K's… does anyone know i the Min4K also had the upgraded ATMOS track (which really made a diff IMO)?).

Kev, I was comparing to the titles on the FMP-X10 titles, not the Min4K ones. That's why it was a really accurate comparison of 4K SDR and 4K HDR remastered titles. To me I thumbs down to both X10 versions and disc version of both dynamic ranges. Unfortunately not all remasters come up looking the goods. Glad GBI and II were local purchases not ordered in.
krichter1 and alebonau like this.

Last edited by OzHDHT; 06-15-2016 at 07:35 PM.
post #11544 of 32277 Old 06-15-2016, 07:32 PM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 24 Post(s)
Liked: 22
Quote:
When the warning lights come on, what happens if you turn the pj off, wait for the cool down period, and then turn it back on. By any chance does the pic then come up?

I had the problem that when I turned my RS600 on each day the green light first appeared, but then either the pic never came up or the pj turned off automatically with the warning lights flashing. When I turned the power off, waited for cool down, and then turned it back on, the pic came up! This went on for weeks, and I finally sent it in for repair, and it has performed perfectly since getting it back. (It wasn't the lamp, but some 'board' that was replaced.)
I just sent my rs600 in for repair for this very same problem. Hope I have the same successful resolution that you did...
post #11545 of 32277 Old 06-15-2016, 08:37 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 939 Post(s)
Liked: 912
Quote:
The Star Trek Into Darkness UHD disc contains the IMAX version of the film in 2.35:1 aspect ratio with select IMAX scenes included in 1.78:1.

I found the aspect ratio changes to be pretty seamless. It was only when there were several changes in a single scene that I even noticed.

With the number of aspect ration changes in this disc, I would think it would be distracting with a 2:35 screen.
That's why we have the nice masking function on the JVC. I tried it with The Dark Knight and in worked great.
rboster, nathan_h and mbw23air like this.
post #11546 of 32277 Old 06-15-2016, 09:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by brente View Post
I just sent my rs600 in for repair for this very same problem. Hope I have the same successful resolution that you did...
I had great service from the JVC Factory Service Center (Long Beach CA). I don't think they had the unit more than 2 or 3 days before getting in on the way back to me. Hope it works out well for you.
post #11547 of 32277 Old 06-15-2016, 10:10 PM

Quoted: 43 Post(s)
Liked: 27
Quote:
Originally Posted by muzz View Post
I can only imagine"The Wall/Waters" sounding MINT in Atmos, it sounds awesome in stereo.
They did a really great job on that IMO...I was pretty impressed.
Once I get some more spending $I'm upgrading to Atmos/DTSX(Which doesn't seem to be doing as well...YET!).

The Wall is incredible. The video quality and Atmos soundtrack are both outstanding. I can never watch it "for a few minutes". I always get sucked in.
post #11548 of 32277 Old 06-15-2016, 11:32 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 24 Post(s)
Liked: 22
Quote:
I had great service from the JVC Factory Service Center (Long Beach CA). I don't think they had the unit more than 2 or 3 days before getting in on the way back to me. Hope it works out well for you.
Thanks. Jvc had me send mine to mendtronix in san diego. Hope they are as quick...
post #11549 of 32277 Old 06-16-2016, 07:17 AM

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Hello

After many problems with HDR BT.2020 signals I moved from Sony VPL-VW320ES to JVC X7000B projector. HDR 4:4:4 from Samsung UBD-K8500 (1.05 firmware) or Panasonic DMP-UB900 now works fine (I’ll try both this players) and contrast is impressive.

But after one week of use I have a questions about JVC X7000B – may I ask for help?

First – I need best calibration settings. I use Stewart FireHawk G3 100’ screen and completely darken room. I set 074 number of screen on projector setting regarding JVC site screens specification table.
For 1080p signals I use THX settings and set brightness to -2 and set diaphragm to Auto1. Use Panasonic player (1.5 firmware) or Apple TV last generation.
For 4K signals I set output of Panasonic to full Auto (it set 4:4:4) and try BT.2020 and Gamma D profile on projector (latest firmware u83.2 and BT.2020 color profile) and Auto 1 diaphragm. Lamp High. Picture is too bright and I lower the brightness to -2 and that’s all. MPC level – all off, only reality set to 5.
I see many video of calibrating HDR on JVC X7000B and reviewers sets contrast to +21 and brightness to -15 (diaphragm is set to Manual and fully open) – try this settings and get completely destroyed black shadow detail and white shadow detail (check on Mad Max Fury Road or The Revenant). And I if I set Input to Enhanced it destroys black colors – but on video reviewers recommend force it.
What calibration settings is fine for You?

Second question – I use Denon AVR-X6200 reciever (latest firmware with Auro 3D support) on my home cinema. If I connect Panasonic, Samsung or Apple TV directly to JVC X7000B all works fine. But if I use connection via Denon AVR-X6200 reciever mostly of time all works fine – but sometimes I give freezing screen with many static color bars – and cannot resume watching movie without full off and full on my system (power off projector and receiver). It hapens only if system changed resolution - if I'll stops UHD 4K 24HZ playback and returning on player menu 4K 60 Hz - and screen freezing. Or calling Denon Setup menu on playback 4K 24Hz, etc.
So, I completely turn off Denon video scaler – but it nothing changed. I use Audioquest Carbon HDMI cable from receiver to projector - length is 10 meters. So, now I order Monster Cable 27 Gps HDMI 10 m – may it helps from this problem? If this problem persists only on 4K signals – I didn’t worry and simple waiting Monster Cable order. But, sometimes it happens on powering on Apple TV via Denon receiver! On 1080p signal and completely off Denon video scaler. Thats what I'm worring about. Try set of HDMI on JVC from A to B – nothing changes. Maybe somebody use Denon X-200 recievers with JVC? All works fine? Maybe I need special settings?

Many thanks for help

Last edited by kjj11; 06-16-2016 at 07:39 AM.
post #11550 of 32277 Old 06-16-2016, 10:26 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 113 Post(s)
Liked: 47
Quote:
Originally Posted by kjj11 View Post
Hello

After many problems with HDR BT.2020 signals I moved from Sony VPL-VW320ES to JVC X7000B projector. HDR 4:4:4 from Samsung UBD-K8500 (1.05 firmware) or Panasonic DMP-UB900 now works fine (I’ll try both this players) and contrast is impressive.

But after one week of use I have a questions about JVC X7000B – may I ask for help?

First – I need best calibration settings. I use Stewart FireHawk G3 100’ screen and completely darken room. I set 074 number of screen on projector setting regarding JVC site screens specification table.
For 1080p signals I use THX settings and set brightness to -2 and set diaphragm to Auto1. Use Panasonic player (1.5 firmware) or Apple TV last generation.
For 4K signals I set output of Panasonic to full Auto (it set 4:4:4) and try BT.2020 and Gamma D profile on projector (latest firmware u83.2 and BT.2020 color profile) and Auto 1 diaphragm. Lamp High. Picture is too bright and I lower the brightness to -2 and that’s all. MPC level – all off, only reality set to 5.
I see many video of calibrating HDR on JVC X7000B and reviewers sets contrast to +21 and brightness to -15 (diaphragm is set to Manual and fully open) – try this settings and get completely destroyed black shadow detail and white shadow detail (check on Mad Max Fury Road or The Revenant). And I if I set Input to Enhanced it destroys black colors – but on video reviewers recommend force it.
What calibration settings is fine for You?

Second question – I use Denon AVR-X6200 reciever (latest firmware with Auro 3D support) on my home cinema. If I connect Panasonic, Samsung or Apple TV directly to JVC X7000B all works fine. But if I use connection via Denon AVR-X6200 reciever mostly of time all works fine – but sometimes I give freezing screen with many static color bars – and cannot resume watching movie without full off and full on my system (power off projector and receiver). It hapens only if system changed resolution - if I'll stops UHD 4K 24HZ playback and returning on player menu 4K 60 Hz - and screen freezing. Or calling Denon Setup menu on playback 4K 24Hz, etc.
So, I completely turn off Denon video scaler – but it nothing changed. I use Audioquest Carbon HDMI cable from receiver to projector - length is 10 meters. So, now I order Monster Cable 27 Gps HDMI 10 m – may it helps from this problem? If this problem persists only on 4K signals – I didn’t worry and simple waiting Monster Cable order. But, sometimes it happens on powering on Apple TV via Denon receiver! On 1080p signal and completely off Denon video scaler. Thats what I'm worring about. Try set of HDMI on JVC from A to B – nothing changes. Maybe somebody use Denon X-200 recievers with JVC? All works fine? Maybe I need special settings?

Many thanks for help
On your second question: have you set up the JVC Input Signal section for Auto on both or either Input Level and Color Space? If so, is that also something available on the Denon? I'm suggesting that this has to do with the EDID communication between the Denon and JVC. When an input device changes the Denon is either not correcting or passing along the necessary information to the JVC. I'm thinking that the sources would not have such functional control of EDID, but that's another thing to check. If it seems to occur with only one of the sources, that may be a problem in its setup.

JVC RS500 - Stewart Firehawk - Lumagen Radiance Pro - Anthem D2V - Revel Salon speakers - SV Sound SB13 Ultra sub - Tivo/Nvidia Shield TV/Panasonic UB900

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply Digital Hi-End Projectors - $3,000+ USD MSRP

Tags
jvc-rs500u synch/display issue? , RS600

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page