Official JVC RS600 / RS500 (X950R / X750R - X9000 / X7000) Owners Thread - Page 386 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 
 84914Likes

post #11551 of 32382 Old 06-16-2016, 10:43 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by sjschaff View Post
On your second question: have you set up the JVC Input Signal section for Auto on both or either Input Level and Color Space? If so, is that also something available on the Denon? I'm suggesting that this has to do with the EDID communication between the Denon and JVC. When an input device changes the Denon is either not correcting or passing along the necessary information to the JVC. I'm thinking that the sources would not have such functional control of EDID, but that's another thing to check. If it seems to occur with only one of the sources, that may be a problem in its setup.
On JVC Input Level and Colorspace set to Auto
On Denon if I switch video scaler to off is nothing to change
I also think this is EDID communication error, but how may I fix it..?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #11552 of 32382 Old 06-16-2016, 11:16 AM
AVS Forum Addicted Member

Mentioned: 274 Post(s)
Quoted: 13038 Post(s)
Liked: 10675
Send a message via Skype™ to Mike Garrett
Quote:
Originally Posted by krichter1 View Post
Got em (post of the day!)!

Worked on construction sites for 33 years (9 of them summers only), never once saw a worker like that. I think that is what you call a unicorn.
On one school addition I did have high school girls flashing the workers from the girl's locker room. Talk about killing production, when 24 mason's flat out stop what they are doing and just gawk. I ended up placing a tractor trailer in front of the windows.
stevenjw and Dave Vaughn like this.
post #11553 of 32382 Old 06-16-2016, 12:44 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 113 Post(s)
Liked: 49
Quote:
Originally Posted by kjj11 View Post
On JVC Input Level and Colorspace set to Auto
On Denon if I switch video scaler to off is nothing to change
I also think this is EDID communication error, but how may I fix it..?
May be something that you cannot directly control on the Denon. Does this happen with all your input devices or only some? What happens when you switch away and then back from one input to another? What happens if you switch from HDMI 1 on the JVC to HDMI 2 and then back? I'm just trying to see if there is any communication between the end and source devices through the Denon that might help get around the problem (though it should not be something a user should need to do). And I'm assuming you're running whatever Denon has provided with latest firmware via internet connection https://usa.denon.com/us/downloads/productupdates (looks like there was one in February for U.S. version). Finally, there is a page http://denon.custhelp.com/app/answers/list for chat/email and phone support. If you're not in the U.S. I'm guessing they have one for your country/region.

JVC RS500 - Stewart Firehawk - Lumagen Radiance Pro - Anthem D2V - Revel Salon speakers - SV Sound SB13 Ultra sub - Tivo/Nvidia Shield TV/Panasonic UB900

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #11554 of 32382 Old 06-16-2016, 12:54 PM

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by sjschaff View Post
May be something that you cannot directly control on the Denon. Does this happen with all your input devices or only some? What happens when you switch away and then back from one input to another? What happens if you switch from HDMI 1 on the JVC to HDMI 2 and then back? I'm just trying to see if there is any communication between the end and source devices through the Denon that might help get around the problem (though it should not be something a user should need to do). And I'm assuming you're running whatever Denon has provided with latest firmware via internet connection https://usa.denon.com/us/downloads/productupdates (looks like there was one in February for U.S. version). Finally, there is a page http://denon.custhelp.com/app/answers/list for chat/email and phone support. If you're not in the U.S. I'm guessing they have one for your country/region.
- this happened with all my input devices
- when I switch away and then back from one input to another - nothing changed, screen is freezing
- if I switch from HDMI 1 on the JVC to HDMI 2 and then back - nothing changed, screen is freezing
- Denon firmware - latest
- try reset Denon to factory settings - nothing changed
Thanks, I calling tech support
post #11555 of 32382 Old 06-16-2016, 01:25 PM

Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked: 13
Wanted to put this info out there for anyone who faces a similar issue when upgrading.

Just received the UBD-K8500 and decided to upgrade the RS400u to u83.2 at the same time. After the upgrade completed the unit would turn on then turn off after a few minutes without any images. I would get a flashing lamp light along with a stable red warning/standby light. After some help from Mike Garret (AvScience) and Chris (JVC) - this turned out to be a simple fix, I had to reseat the lamp and it started right up.

Also - in my rush to find a solution, I tried to use a straight serial cable - and that bricked the unit. Thanks to the post from Steve Richards on pointing me in the right direction in getting it back up and running.

For those wondering about the cable/serial combo that worked for me:
USB/Serial: Keyspan by Tripp Lite USA-19HS
Serial Cable: Tripp Lite Null Modem Serial RS232 Cable (DB9 F/F) 6-ft. (P450-006)
muzz likes this.
post #11556 of 32382 Old 06-16-2016, 01:52 PM

Mentioned: 129 Post(s)
Quoted: 7493 Post(s)
Liked: 9099
Quote:
Originally Posted by mishref View Post
Wanted to put this info out there for anyone who faces a similar issue when upgrading.

Just received the UBD-K8500 and decided to upgrade the RS400u to u83.2 at the same time. After the upgrade completed the unit would turn on then turn off after a few minutes without any images. I would get a flashing lamp light along with a stable red warning/standby light. After some help from Mike Garret (AvScience) and Chris (JVC) - this turned out to be a simple fix, I had to reseat the lamp and it started right up.

Also - in my rush to find a solution, I tried to use a straight serial cable - and that bricked the unit. Thanks to the post from Steve Richards on pointing me in the right direction in getting it back up and running.

Serial Cable: Tripp Lite Null Modem Serial RS232 Cable (DB9 F/F) 6-ft. (P450-006)
Good advise - the Tripp Lite cables were cheap enough on Amazon too.
muzz likes this.
post #11557 of 32382 Old 06-16-2016, 05:18 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Quoted: 930 Post(s)
Liked: 642
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike Garrett View Post
Worked on construction sites for 33 years (9 of them summers only), never once saw a worker like that. I think that is what you call a unicorn.
On one school addition I did have high school girls flashing the workers from the girl's locker room. Talk about killing production, when 24 mason's flat out stop what they are doing and just gawk. I ended up placing a tractor trailer in front of the windows.
I guess I'm now a big fan of Unicorns....you killjoy!😉

Why waste $ on more cheap stuff, it's like challenging a dragon with a pocket knife.
post #11558 of 32382 Old 06-16-2016, 05:45 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
Quoted: 1218 Post(s)
Liked: 822
Quote:
Originally Posted by mishref View Post

I used that exact combo and paid attention to all the feedback in this thread including following the instructions EXACTLY. Worked perfect. Put both in a bag labeled JVC Firmware for the next time. SJ
post #11559 of 32382 Old 06-16-2016, 06:10 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 16 Post(s)
Quoted: 2113 Post(s)
Liked: 2390
Quote:
Originally Posted by muzz View Post
I can only imagine"The Wall/Waters" sounding MINT in Atmos, it sounds awesome in stereo.
They did a really great job on that IMO...I was pretty impressed.
Once I get some more spending $I'm upgrading to Atmos/DTSX(Which doesn't seem to be doing as well...YET!).

I was tempted to pull out my college BONG!

zombie10k likes this.

Kevin

You only live once, but if you live it right, once is enough.
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

==> Our 4K/3D Immersive Theater
post #11560 of 32382 Old 06-16-2016, 06:10 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
i was tempted to pull out my college bong!

rofl 😂

Why waste $ on more cheap stuff, it's like challenging a dragon with a pocket knife.
post #11561 of 32382 Old 06-16-2016, 06:11 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike Garrett View Post
and then accidentally picked up the wrong "tool"!

(DAMN AVS… talk about a password nightmare the last day… really… 10 digits w/ a cap & spec CHAR… Yikes!)
promike likes this.

Kevin

post #11562 of 32382 Old 06-16-2016, 06:37 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tom Bley View Post
That's why we have the nice masking function on the JVC. I tried it with The Dark Knight and in worked great.

Guess I'm in J-E-L-L-O brain mode after a long day Tom… how would that help dynamic/real-time AR changes in the movie (maybe cause I don't use it as you know with my powered mask I don't understand the benefit here)?

Kevin

post #11563 of 32382 Old 06-17-2016, 02:23 AM
AVS Spatial Member

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 234 Post(s)
Liked: 89
Quote:
Originally Posted by swest

... I should never have let my son ask me questions about upgrading his projector... I was happy, very happy, with my SP8602. I need Agent K to use his Neuralyzer on me.
Quote:
Originally Posted by zombie10k
The Infocus SP8602 was a good DLP for it's time period but get ready to see contrast that the 8602 couldn't dream of. You can thank your son after the upgrade.
.. received my nearly new JVC DLA-RS600 today (a Dealer Demo Deal... Thank you, Lee Weber/Boston HiFi!!!).

.. already had the shelf ready, waiting for its lovely load (I had always ceiling mounted my PJs before, but decided to go with a shelf this time... I mean, it's got those 4 cute little feet, right? Why not use 'em)

.. fired it up... had a little bit of a scare when HDMI-1 (where I plugged in my Monoprice "Cabernet Series Active High Speed HDMI® Cable with RedMere® Technology, 40ft" cable -- been using it with my InFocus for about a year now), and HDMI-1 said, "no input, you idiot" (or similar...) I will confess to having not studied the manual... maybe there's something special about HDMI-1 (?)

Anyway, I moved it over to HDMI-2, and... yep: Picture!

And, What! A! Picture! Futurama never looked so good . I finally pulled myself away, and switched over to SyFy HD, and "The Lone Ranger" mmm... Johnny Depp's warpaint... mesmerizing! But... alas, the bliss wasn't to last... My Son (the Doctor, and the one that got me all stirred up about upgrading PJs, see above) rang me up, and wanted us to get online for our nightly Zombie Killin' session (or, whatever is our "Bad Guy, du jour"... currently, we've joined Tom Clancy's Division, to clean up NYC... we think...)

I can't believe what a striking, and immediately appreciable, contrast (he he, you see what I did there?) there is between the Infocus SP8602 DLP and the JVC DLA-RS600 D-ILA (aka LCOS/SXRD/etc).

I have always been a DLP kinda guy, and I still think that they can throw a great picture. This SP8602 makes for a very enjoyable Home Theater experience. But I just wasn't prepared for the difference that the greater contrast ratio of the JVC makes in the image. It is just beautiful. And, also, I didn't fully realize the effect of the Rainbow Effect. The RBE has been with me so long (13 years now, since my first Samsung rear projector), that I am practically immune to its distraction. And, I consider myself lucky, because it's not that I don't see the RBE (and, personally, I've never really accepted the possibility that there are people who don't even 'see' the rainbows... I think that's just self-deception - anyway, I certainly see them), it's just that, for whatever reason, they never became an obsession that ruined my viewing experience.

But, now that I have a projection experience completely free of rainbows, I realize that they have a near-constant negative effect on the stability of an image. I recognize now that any scene which contains a very bright, nearly white portion, against, or alongside, things of normal lighting, are just not stable, for lack of a better word. My go-to example, for a long time, of particularly egregious RBE, was that scene in Gladiator, after Maximus has been enslaved to Proximo, where he is scraping off the 'SPQR' from his arm. There is a candle, right next to him, in that otherwise darkened room. Now that was offputting. But, in general, not so much... at least, not for me.

Now that I'm free of them, however, I see the light (he he... I did it again...)

I gotta go to bed. It's late.

I hope to spend some quality time with this new toy over the weekend. Tomorrow night is movie night, anyway, so I'll get to try out the new PJ on some friends. Unfortunately, Saturday is my D&D group's regularly scheduled game night (i.e., The Bi-Weekly NerdFest), so I may not get much time to play with it until Sunday.

I got a lot to learn.

Thanks for a great Thread (i.e., the "Official JVC RS600 / RS500 (X950R / X750R - X9000 / X7000) Owners Thread"), I know it's going to continue to be helpful to me.

Later,

- s.west
muzz likes this.

"Oh, what a day. What a lovely day!"

Last edited by swest; 06-17-2016 at 02:52 AM. Reason: grammar
post #11564 of 32382 Old 06-17-2016, 03:04 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 501 Post(s)
Quoted: 6937 Post(s)
Liked: 6655
Quote:
Originally Posted by swest View Post
had a little bit of a scare when HDMI-1 (where I plugged in my Monoprice "Cabernet Series Active High Speed HDMI® Cable with RedMere® Technology, 40ft" cable -- been using it with my InFocus for about a year now), and HDMI-1 said, "no input, you idiot" (or similar...) I will confess to having not studied the manual... maybe there's something special about HDMI-1 (?)

Anyway, I moved it over to HDMI-2, and... yep: Picture!
I would really like to know the answer to this too.

With my HTPC in HDMI 1 input I cannot use 4k @ 50 or 60hz with RGB selected in the Nvidia settings. I have to manually select YUV 4:2:2 or 4:2:0. This was never an issue on my Sony 300ES. I also get frequency signal drop-outs when the projector is in 4k/50hz mode while watching Netflix. Last night I actually had to switch it to 1080p output mode on the Samsung because of the dropouts in Netflix. 4k/24hz is rock stable.

I chalked it up to possibly being cable issues at the time, I have cables that worked just fine in my Sony set up. But if there is something going on with HDMI 1 input I would love to know if there is a difference between the two inputs and why, the manual doesn't seem to allude to there being any difference.

I will have to test out HDMI 2 port tonight and see what happens.

JVC X9500 (RS620) | 120" 16:9 | Marantz AV7702 MkII | Emotiva XPA-7 | DIY Modular Towers | DIY TPL-150 Surrounds | DIY Atmos | DIY 18" Subs
-
MadVR Settings | UHD Waveform Analysis | Arve Tool Instructions + V3 Javs Curves
post #11565 of 32382 Old 06-17-2016, 03:39 AM
AVS Spatial Member

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 234 Post(s)
Liked: 89
I feed the JVC from the Primary HDMI-out of a Marantz 8802A over that 40' HDMI cable I mentioned. All my sources are plugged in (via very short HDMI cables) to the various inputs of the Marantz. In other words, I am using the Marantz as it was designed to be used.

One thing that I have always had a problem with (at least since getting the SP8602) was very long sync/handshake times... and that was with both my B&K Ref 70, and now with the Marantz. The RS600 appears to have improved on that, but it is still an issue. I don't have enough time with the JVC yet to be able to completely characterize its behavior in this regard, but, like I said, I believe it has improved.

I need to spend some time in the JVC manual, familiarizing myself...

"Oh, what a day. What a lovely day!"
post #11566 of 32382 Old 06-17-2016, 03:44 AM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 1
I just got my rs500/x7000 for a month now.
Overall I am pretty happy with the quality of this projector, however I notice that one of the fans (the one just below the light indicators) runs pretty hot, even in low lamp, mode while the opposite fan runs pretty cool.
The projector has not been calibrated and this happens on several modes (User mode, THX, Anime...)
Is this normal, do you guys observe the same?

Thanks for the feedback!
CTR
post #11567 of 32382 Old 06-17-2016, 06:28 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 941 Post(s)
Liked: 917
Quote:
Guess I'm in J-E-L-L-O brain mode after a long day Tom… how would that help dynamic/real-time AR changes in the movie (maybe cause I don't use it as you know with my powered mask I don't understand the benefit here)?

I just masked the extra image on top and bottom and it did not look like I was missing anything. Maybe when they film in Imax they have a safety zone when filming because I think those films with the Imax bits are cropped at the theater as well. Mask your screen down to 2.35 or 2.40 and try it on a multi aspect film and see how you like it. I never felt like I was missing anything.
mbw23air and krichter1 like this.
post #11568 of 32382 Old 06-17-2016, 06:33 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by AudioRebel View Post
Overall I am pretty happy with the quality of this projector, however I notice that one of the fans (the one just below the light indicators) runs pretty hot, even in low lamp, mode while the opposite fan runs pretty cool.
The projector has not been calibrated and this happens on several modes (User mode, THX, Anime...)

Thanks for the feedback!
CTR
Mine is the same so I think this is normal and you have nothing to worry about. I have had mine since December.
Javs likes this.
post #11569 of 32382 Old 06-17-2016, 06:49 AM

Quote:
Mine is the same so I think this is normal and you have nothing to worry about. I have had mine since December.
Thanks Tom!
CTR
Tom Bley likes this.
post #11570 of 32382 Old 06-17-2016, 08:11 AM

Mentioned: 48 Post(s)
Quoted: 5167 Post(s)
Liked: 2594
Quote:
Originally Posted by AudioRebel View Post

Thanks for the feedback!
CTR
One side is the intake and the other is the exhaust. This is perfectly normal.
post #11571 of 32382 Old 06-17-2016, 08:22 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Actually both the front are exhaust. It's just that one side is warmer than the other.
post #11572 of 32382 Old 06-17-2016, 08:30 AM

Mentioned: 274 Post(s)
Quoted: 13038 Post(s)
Liked: 10675
Send a message via Skype™ to Mike Garrett
Quote:
Actually both the front are exhaust. It's just that one side is warmer than the other.
Correct and as stated, that is normal.
post #11573 of 32382 Old 06-17-2016, 08:42 AM

Does any one know if it is possible to play 3D SBS mkv files with the Nvidia Shield?
I am trying with a couple of different files both on Kodi and Plex but without any success.
post #11574 of 32382 Old 06-17-2016, 08:58 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 32 Post(s)
Quoted: 2832 Post(s)
Liked: 1505
HDMI suggestion please

I need to run a HDMI cable 25" in a bad spot and it's going to take a lot of work, do not want to repeat.

Just bought the RS600 and Samsung 8500 for the time being . I have a High speed cable there now that I could run 4K from my Sony FMP-X1 to the projector without issue. I also have a Monoprice 9170 of the same length not installed but the specs on that do not look great. Thought is to have a cable for now and future 4K HDR max bit rate.

Suggestions that work please??

Dedicated Theater: Sony VPL VW5000 , Panamorph DCR & ISCO III L Anamorphic Lens, Draper TecVision XT1800X Screen, 2.40:1 134" diagonal curved , Denon AVR-X8500 , 9.2.6 Atmos, Panasonic UB900, Oppo 203, Lumagen Pro 4440 , (3) Paradigm CI Elite E7-L+C+R fronts, , (2) CI Pro P80-IW Rear, (2) Paradigm SA-ADP In-wall Surround, (6) SIG-1.5R-30 v.3 In-Ceiling, Subwoofers: (2) SVS SB-16 Ultra , (1) SVS PC13-Ultra .
post #11575 of 32382 Old 06-17-2016, 09:01 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Search PlugLug, Brian Fineberg.
White-25', Highest Speed, worked for me as well, and can be had for $15 or less @amazon .

post #11576 of 32382 Old 06-17-2016, 09:26 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by roxiedog13 View Post
I need to run a HDMI cable 25" in a bad spot and it's going to take a lot of work, do not want to repeat.

Just bought the RS600 and Samsung 8500 for the time being . I have a High speed cable there now that I could run 4K from my Sony FMP-X1 to the projector without issue. I also have a Monoprice 9170 of the same length not installed but the specs on that do not look great. Thought is to have a cable for now and future 4K HDR max bit rate.

Suggestions that work please??
25 inches is a piece of cake. probably most any hdmi cable would work. Sorry, couldn't resist.

Assuming 25 feet, I think the Blue Jeans Series-1 cable is a good buy. Maybe order a few suggestions and try them all before you route the cable just to make sure. I made sure to run 2 inch conduit in my future theater. Good luck!

Also Ethereal has something to help with longer runs that you put in between the hdmi cables, can't remember what the model number is. Mike Garret knows.
krichter1 likes this.
post #11577 of 32382 Old 06-17-2016, 09:44 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Javs View Post
I would really like to know the answer to this too.

With my HTPC in HDMI 1 input I cannot use 4k @ 50 or 60hz with RGB selected in the Nvidia settings. I have to manually select YUV 4:2:2 or 4:2:0. This was never an issue on my Sony 300ES. I also get frequency signal drop-outs when the projector is in 4k/50hz mode while watching Netflix. Last night I actually had to switch it to 1080p output mode on the Samsung because of the dropouts in Netflix. 4k/24hz is rock stable.

I chalked it up to possibly being cable issues at the time, I have cables that worked just fine in my Sony set up. But if there is something going on with HDMI 1 input I would love to know if there is a difference between the two inputs and why, the manual doesn't seem to allude to there being any difference.

I will have to test out HDMI 2 port tonight and see what happens.
Do you have EDID set to B ? Someone mentioned this a while back -

" I unplugged both the 8500 and the RS400 for a few, I moved my HDMI cable from Port 2 to port 1. I set EDID to B, everytime I tried A it failed. "

This has been working for me, however, I only watch 4K UHD Blu Rays which are 24fps.
post #11578 of 32382 Old 06-17-2016, 10:35 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Craig Peer View Post
Do you have EDID set to B ? Someone mentioned this a while back -

" I unplugged both the 8500 and the RS400 for a few, I moved my HDMI cable from Port 2 to port 1. I set EDID to B, everytime I tried A it failed. "

This has been working for me, however, I only watch 4K UHD Blu Rays which are 24fps.
That was me, and I used the 25'PlugLug cable. Works fine here.
Craig Peer likes this.

post #11579 of 32382 Old 06-17-2016, 11:44 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 32 Post(s)
Quoted: 2832 Post(s)
Liked: 1505
HDMI Cable

Monoprice Cabernet Ultra Certified High Speed Active HDMI Cable 25ft

That is what I ordered, $29.95US ea direct from Monoprice. I actually ordered 2 of these and 6 short lenghts for my av rack .

GET THIS : The price from Amazon Canada was $ 289.50 each . In my search today I have seen this trend so buyer please be aware. The vendors know there is much confusion and
are clearly taking advantage of this. This will be the third item I have seen with 1000% difference from one source to the next . I'm pretty sure that Amazon are the biggest culprits .

Thanks for the feedback people, now back to our regular scheduled program.

Dedicated Theater: Sony VPL VW5000 , Panamorph DCR & ISCO III L Anamorphic Lens, Draper TecVision XT1800X Screen, 2.40:1 134" diagonal curved , Denon AVR-X8500 , 9.2.6 Atmos, Panasonic UB900, Oppo 203, Lumagen Pro 4440 , (3) Paradigm CI Elite E7-L+C+R fronts, , (2) CI Pro P80-IW Rear, (2) Paradigm SA-ADP In-wall Surround, (6) SIG-1.5R-30 v.3 In-Ceiling, Subwoofers: (2) SVS SB-16 Ultra , (1) SVS PC13-Ultra .
post #11580 of 32382 Old 06-17-2016, 11:59 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by roxiedog13 View Post
Monoprice Cabernet Ultra Certified High Speed Active HDMI Cable 25ft

That is what I ordered, $29.95US ea direct from Monoprice. I actually ordered 2 of these and 6 short lenghts for my av rack .

GET THIS : The price from Amazon Canada was $ 289.50 each . In my search today I have seen this trend so buyer please be aware. The vendors know there is much confusion and
are clearly taking advantage of this. This will be the third item I have seen with 1000% difference from one source to the next . I'm pretty sure that Amazon are the biggest culprits .

Thanks for the feedback people, now back to our regular scheduled program.
That's just wrong !
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply Digital Hi-End Projectors - $3,000+ USD MSRP

Tags
jvc-rs500u synch/display issue? , RS600

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page