Official JVC RS600 / RS500 (X950R / X750R - X9000 / X7000) Owners Thread - Page 448 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 
 84805Likes
Reply
 
Thread Tools
post #13411 of 32133 Old 08-26-2016, 10:16 AM
AVS Forum Addicted Member
 
stanger89's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2002
Location: Marion, IA
Posts: 23,130
Mentioned: 34 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 4156 Post(s)
Liked: 2388
Quote:
Originally Posted by krichter1 View Post
Oh no you can direct select User saved modes. I have an MX-850 coded for the JVC (still like a hard remote on-hand in the theater when I turn off the iPad), if you need me to send you the .mrf file (It's not perfect and actually from my RS55 days but works fine).
Did you ever get the Lens Memory presets to work, those are the ones I've been unable to get programmed in and working. Now that I think about it, I think the stock profile for the remote (from URC) has the User Modes in it. For what I do I could probably just have my macros change user mode based on source.
stanger89 is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #13412 of 32133 Old 08-26-2016, 10:20 AM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
stef2's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2005
Location: China
Posts: 1,280
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 487 Post(s)
Liked: 286
Quote:
Originally Posted by PioManiac View Post
similar to Landsharks staggered wall panels..


but in Black Velvet
Wow...no need for a JVC or auto iris with those pale walls...you can even keep the lights on, it shouldn't harm the contrast
stef2 is offline  
post #13413 of 32133 Old 08-26-2016, 10:28 AM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
krichter1's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2002
Location: Earth (most days!)
Posts: 5,184
Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2105 Post(s)
Liked: 2382
Quote:
Originally Posted by stanger89 View Post
Did you ever get the Lens Memory presets to work, those are the ones I've been unable to get programmed in and working. Now that I think about it, I think the stock profile for the remote (from URC) has the User Modes in it. For what I do I could probably just have my macros change user mode based on source.

No my lens memories and all other advanced one button commands are IP/Hex defined in iRule.

Kevin

You only live once, but if you live it right, once is enough.
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~


==> Our 4K/3D Immersive Theater
krichter1 is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #13414 of 32133 Old 08-26-2016, 10:31 AM
AVS Forum Addicted Member
 
Mike Garrett's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2011
Posts: 26,513
Mentioned: 241 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 12542 Post(s)
Liked: 10154
Send a message via Skype™ to Mike Garrett
Quote:
Originally Posted by PioManiac View Post
I promise to keep it hidden away, :
It's still great as a dedicated gaming unit with low response lag (~20ms) for FPS COD type games.
My PS3, PS4 and XBOX One still get used occasionally, but not as much now, maybe 10% of my screen time.
What is so funny, when I clicked a link to this thread, it took me to a post that just had the picture of the two projectors side by side. The white Epson stood out so much, that I did not even notice the JVC at first.
Mike Garrett is offline  
post #13415 of 32133 Old 08-26-2016, 10:49 AM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
krichter1's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2002
Location: Earth (most days!)
Posts: 5,184
Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2105 Post(s)
Liked: 2382
Quote:
Originally Posted by stef2 View Post
Wow...no need for a JVC or auto iris with those pale walls...you can even keep the lights on, it shouldn't harm the contrast
Or the carpet… better off putting back an Epson and pocket the cash-eesh!

Plus I hope Maniac stuffed those caverns in the ceiling.

Kevin

You only live once, but if you live it right, once is enough.
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~


==> Our 4K/3D Immersive Theater
krichter1 is offline  
post #13416 of 32133 Old 08-26-2016, 11:15 AM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
roxiedog13's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2011
Location: North 48 °
Posts: 3,955
Mentioned: 31 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2797 Post(s)
Liked: 1485
Quote:
Originally Posted by PioManiac View Post
LOL, no ceiling at all, wisely left that for last





No drywall at all in my room, just velvet stapled directly to the walls over insulation...





I've got big plans for a staggered fabric/velvet panel 24" x 24" grid on the ceiling...



similar to Landsharks staggered wall panels..


but in Black Velvet
Excellent, ceiling is open . Run lots of conduit now just in case . I have the same theme with Guitars on the back portion of my theater . Pretty sure I
have one of the same too .

One other suggestion is to replace the HRV ducting with soft insulated ducting to reduce the noise. Hard piping like that connected to other rooms in the home
is not good. Ask me how I know.

Dedicated Theater: Sony VPL VW5000 , Panamorph DCR & ISCO III L Anamorphic Lens, Draper TecVision XT1800X Screen, 2.40:1 134" diagonal curved , Denon AVR-X8500 , 9.2.6 Atmos, Panasonic UB900, Oppo 203, Lumagen Pro 4440 , (3) Paradigm CI Elite E7-L+C+R fronts, , (2) CI Pro P80-IW Rear, (2) Paradigm SA-ADP In-wall Surround, (6) SIG-1.5R-30 v.3 In-Ceiling, Subwoofers: (2) SVS SB-16 Ultra , (1) SVS PC13-Ultra .
roxiedog13 is offline  
post #13417 of 32133 Old 08-26-2016, 11:30 AM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
krichter1's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2002
Location: Earth (most days!)
Posts: 5,184
Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2105 Post(s)
Liked: 2382
Quote:
Originally Posted by PioManiac View Post
My ceiling is still open

But will be stuffed with Roxul like my screen wall...
Nice (me too)… best stuff out there!

I know this is OT and turning into a DIY HT construction thread but just a suggestion (highly suggested), if you haven't thought of it, that you not mimic the other theaters surrounds in the pic and wire for ATMOS/DTS:X while you have the chance (your fronts look fine with the FH's but the side backs need to be lowered to just above highest rows ear level so you can install the RH's or TM's).

Kevin

You only live once, but if you live it right, once is enough.
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~


==> Our 4K/3D Immersive Theater

Last edited by krichter1; 08-26-2016 at 11:46 AM.
krichter1 is offline  
post #13418 of 32133 Old 08-26-2016, 12:02 PM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
thrang's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2005
Location: USA
Posts: 7,250
Mentioned: 30 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2626 Post(s)
Liked: 2133
Quote:
Originally Posted by claw View Post
Lots of posts in the Master List of 4k HDR Titles thread claiming that Universal botched the Oblivion UHD with a 2k to 4k upscale that has less detail than the regular Blu Ray.
I thought it looked worse than the Blu Ray version...jackasses...
thrang is offline  
post #13419 of 32133 Old 08-26-2016, 12:20 PM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
roxiedog13's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2011
Location: North 48 °
Posts: 3,955
Mentioned: 31 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2797 Post(s)
Liked: 1485
Quote:
Originally Posted by thrang View Post
I thought it looked worse than the Blu Ray version...jackasses...

It's funny how we just accept these things, should they not fix this ? I cannot be the only one that notices our acceptance and tolerance for goods that do not work as
advertised is really high. Doesn't just apply to cheap items either.

Dedicated Theater: Sony VPL VW5000 , Panamorph DCR & ISCO III L Anamorphic Lens, Draper TecVision XT1800X Screen, 2.40:1 134" diagonal curved , Denon AVR-X8500 , 9.2.6 Atmos, Panasonic UB900, Oppo 203, Lumagen Pro 4440 , (3) Paradigm CI Elite E7-L+C+R fronts, , (2) CI Pro P80-IW Rear, (2) Paradigm SA-ADP In-wall Surround, (6) SIG-1.5R-30 v.3 In-Ceiling, Subwoofers: (2) SVS SB-16 Ultra , (1) SVS PC13-Ultra .
roxiedog13 is offline  
post #13420 of 32133 Old 08-26-2016, 12:39 PM
AVS Forum Addicted Member
 
Mike Garrett's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2011
Posts: 26,513
Mentioned: 241 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 12542 Post(s)
Liked: 10154
Send a message via Skype™ to Mike Garrett
Quote:
Originally Posted by roxiedog13 View Post
It's funny how we just accept these things, should they not fix this ? I cannot be the only one that notices our acceptance and tolerance for goods that do not work as
advertised is really high. Doesn't just apply to cheap items either.
Problem is leverage. What are you going to do, sue them over a $25 UHD BD?
Mike Garrett is offline  
post #13421 of 32133 Old 08-26-2016, 02:36 PM
AVS Forum Addicted Member
 
stanger89's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2002
Location: Marion, IA
Posts: 23,130
Mentioned: 34 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 4156 Post(s)
Liked: 2388
Well, that was the easiest projector installation I've ever done. Flip the lever on my Chief mount, drop the RS4910, remove 4 screws, remove 4 feet, install 4 screws, clip the RS600 in place, power it up

So far so good, except....

It seems my Samsung UHD player isn't detecting that my RS600 is UHD capable. It appears to have the latest firmware on it (as I would expect). I unplugged the Samsung for a while, removed my Integral (it seemed to be causing problems at UHD resolution.

Any thoughts?

Nevermind, user error, didn't unplug what I thought I unplugged.
krichter1 and roxiedog13 like this.

Last edited by stanger89; 08-26-2016 at 02:56 PM.
stanger89 is offline  
post #13422 of 32133 Old 08-26-2016, 03:44 PM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
Tom Bley's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2001
Location: IL. USA
Posts: 3,420
Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 916 Post(s)
Liked: 893
Cool wheels in the theater, Pio! It gives it a certain I don't know what.

I'm a Yamaha guy too. I'm gonna pick me up a 3060, unless I don't get my dedicated room done soon, then it will be the 3070.
Tom Bley is offline  
post #13423 of 32133 Old 08-26-2016, 05:11 PM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
roxiedog13's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2011
Location: North 48 °
Posts: 3,955
Mentioned: 31 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2797 Post(s)
Liked: 1485
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike Garrett View Post
Problem is leverage. What are you going to do, sue them over a $25 UHD BD?

I don't think my point was about leverage or the consideration to take action . Just saying that it is frustrating that we buy these items in good faith and have no reasonable recourse .

Dedicated Theater: Sony VPL VW5000 , Panamorph DCR & ISCO III L Anamorphic Lens, Draper TecVision XT1800X Screen, 2.40:1 134" diagonal curved , Denon AVR-X8500 , 9.2.6 Atmos, Panasonic UB900, Oppo 203, Lumagen Pro 4440 , (3) Paradigm CI Elite E7-L+C+R fronts, , (2) CI Pro P80-IW Rear, (2) Paradigm SA-ADP In-wall Surround, (6) SIG-1.5R-30 v.3 In-Ceiling, Subwoofers: (2) SVS SB-16 Ultra , (1) SVS PC13-Ultra .
roxiedog13 is offline  
post #13424 of 32133 Old 08-26-2016, 06:18 PM
Advanced Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2014
Posts: 931
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 743 Post(s)
Liked: 123
Quote:
Originally Posted by PioManiac View Post
Well it is a multi-purpose man-cave, not a dedicated theater.

It was my temporary parts storage before I got my garage built,
and used to house tires/wheels/headers and supercharge kits
I'm a Drag Racer too, another of my expensive hobbies along with Jeeping and Motorcycles.

I promised not to post any more pics today
but you can see more here: https://www.avsforum.com/forum/15-gen...t-plans-7.html

My Garage isn't heated (yet) and my Drag Radials are a soft compound rubber that need warm storage.

I ordered rs500 from eastporters today as well. Way above my budget I was sweating when I read my credit card to the store. Hope I can keep it for long years.
PioManiac likes this.
Roudan is offline  
post #13425 of 32133 Old 08-26-2016, 06:36 PM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
Tom Bley's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2001
Location: IL. USA
Posts: 3,420
Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 916 Post(s)
Liked: 893
Quote:
Originally Posted by PioManiac View Post
Well it is a multi-purpose man-cave, not a dedicated theater.

It was my temporary parts storage before I got my garage built,
and used to house tires/wheels/headers and supercharge kits
I'm a Drag Racer too, another of my expensive hobbies along with Jeeping and Motorcycles.

I promised not to post any more pics today
but you can see more here: https://www.avsforum.com/forum/15-gen...t-plans-7.html

My Garage isn't heated (yet) and my Drag Radials are a soft compound rubber that need warm storage.

Really nice house Pio. Yeah, racing is an expensive hobby as well. Did a few performance parts on my daily driver last year. Would like to buy a used Porsche but, will stop for now until my basement is fully completed. Dedicated theater, bar, full bath and a guest room is sucking up all the money.

The JVC is an awesome projector!
krichter1 likes this.
Tom Bley is offline  
post #13426 of 32133 Old 08-26-2016, 08:02 PM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
alebonau's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2006
Location: Land of Contentment :)
Posts: 4,787
Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1896 Post(s)
Liked: 1295
any notice a notification for a software update for the sammy uhd ...

am presuming it cant be for the jvc as I dont have mine connected to the net, and my marantz notification I know what that looks like

"Technology is a drug. We can't get enough of it."


Welcome to my lounge room :)
alebonau is online now  
post #13427 of 32133 Old 08-26-2016, 08:18 PM
AVS Forum Addicted Member
 
Mike Garrett's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2011
Posts: 26,513
Mentioned: 241 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 12542 Post(s)
Liked: 10154
Send a message via Skype™ to Mike Garrett
Quote:
Originally Posted by roxiedog13 View Post
I don't think my point was about leverage or the consideration to take action . Just saying that it is frustrating that we buy these items in good faith and have no reasonable recourse .
I agree. All of us have been caught one time or another.
Mike Garrett is offline  
post #13428 of 32133 Old 08-27-2016, 07:12 AM
AVS Forum Addicted Member
 
DavidHir's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2004
Posts: 14,321
Mentioned: 31 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2574 Post(s)
Liked: 2255
Quote:
Originally Posted by roxiedog13 View Post
I don't think my point was about leverage or the consideration to take action . Just saying that it is frustrating that we buy these items in good faith and have no reasonable recourse .
I recommend waiting to read reputable reviews before buying any UHD BD. Sometimes there's good discussion over at the Blu-ray site too.
mbw23air likes this.
DavidHir is online now  
post #13429 of 32133 Old 08-27-2016, 07:20 AM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
roxiedog13's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2011
Location: North 48 °
Posts: 3,955
Mentioned: 31 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2797 Post(s)
Liked: 1485
Quote:
Originally Posted by DavidHir View Post
I recommend waiting to read reputable reviews before buying any UHD BD.

Indeed that would be the smart and prudent thing to do. Not sure if things changed with quality as much as we
have become super critical . No room for error with the quality of projectors these days, probably not a bad thing
.........................sometimes.

Dedicated Theater: Sony VPL VW5000 , Panamorph DCR & ISCO III L Anamorphic Lens, Draper TecVision XT1800X Screen, 2.40:1 134" diagonal curved , Denon AVR-X8500 , 9.2.6 Atmos, Panasonic UB900, Oppo 203, Lumagen Pro 4440 , (3) Paradigm CI Elite E7-L+C+R fronts, , (2) CI Pro P80-IW Rear, (2) Paradigm SA-ADP In-wall Surround, (6) SIG-1.5R-30 v.3 In-Ceiling, Subwoofers: (2) SVS SB-16 Ultra , (1) SVS PC13-Ultra .
roxiedog13 is offline  
post #13430 of 32133 Old 08-27-2016, 09:20 AM
Advanced Member
 
Ed Weinman's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2002
Posts: 975
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 83 Post(s)
Liked: 39
...my 500 has started to make tiny squeaking noises when opening and closing...and remedy? ...
Ed Weinman is offline  
post #13431 of 32133 Old 08-27-2016, 09:22 AM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
erkq's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2006
Posts: 6,707
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 746 Post(s)
Liked: 515
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ed Weinman View Post
...my 500 has started to make tiny squeaking noises when opening and closing...and remedy? ...
Mine is more than "tiny". I've been told to disable the automatic lens cover and that the lens doesn't get that dirty. Somewhat lame...
erkq is online now  
post #13432 of 32133 Old 08-27-2016, 09:53 AM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
krichter1's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2002
Location: Earth (most days!)
Posts: 5,184
Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2105 Post(s)
Liked: 2382
Quote:
Originally Posted by thrang View Post
I thought it looked worse than the Blu Ray version...jackasses...

I know I'm in the minority from my initial positive review but FWIW (and it might not be a hill-o-beans I get it), had a respected videophile buddy over last night to watch Mad Max in HDR (for me… like the 10th time but I promised him we'd watch it as he'd been dying for a month to come over and see it in its 4K glory!). Afterwards he also wanted to see some of Oblivion and when I told him of the 4K release issues discussed on AVS we decided to watch a few key scenes in both 4K/HDR & BD-BT1886. We both were left with the impression that…

-
  • facial scenes were more detailed overall but a few scenes did detect a bit of softening (majority did not)
  • landscape scenes with WCG looked better especially the secret cabin scenes as well as the water reclaimer scenes
  • HDR gives a heightened sense of involvement and depth; especially the night scenes but the BD (as we already know), had better blacks in low APL areas whereas the HDR contrast ratio when factoring in the higher APL impact, seemed more dynamic & "real"

Overall we both preferred watching this movie in 4K HDR (although did not have time to compare in 4K/SDR), but both agreed it's not an easy choice w/ this being such a reference BD.


BTW - that Mad Max movie only serves to remind me that at some point I need to get some better in-wall subs (if there is such a thing), as my Klipsch's ain't cutting' it w/ Atmos heavy tracks.

alebonau likes this.

Kevin

You only live once, but if you live it right, once is enough.
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~


==> Our 4K/3D Immersive Theater

Last edited by krichter1; 08-27-2016 at 09:57 AM.
krichter1 is offline  
post #13433 of 32133 Old 08-27-2016, 10:12 AM
Advanced Member
 
Ed Weinman's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2002
Posts: 975
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 83 Post(s)
Liked: 39
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ed Weinman View Post
...my 500 has started to make tiny squeaking noises when opening and closing...and remedy? ...
...Mike,

...any suggestions other than to disable the auto opening/closing of the lens cover?
...much appreciated.

Ed
Ed Weinman is offline  
post #13434 of 32133 Old 08-27-2016, 10:28 AM
 
Andreas21's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2007
Location: Norway
Posts: 2,424
Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1133 Post(s)
Liked: 729
Quote:
Originally Posted by krichter1 View Post
I know I'm in the minority from my initial positive review but FWIW (and it might not be a hill-o-beans I get it), had a respected videophile buddy over last night to watch Mad Max in HDR (for me… like the 10th time but I promised him we'd watch it as he'd been dying for a month to come over and see it in its 4K glory!). Afterwards he also wanted to see some of Oblivion and when I told him of the 4K release issues discussed on AVS we decided to watch a few key scenes in both 4K/HDR & BD-BT1886. We both were left with the impression that…

-
  • facial scenes were more detailed overall but a few scenes did detect a bit of softening (majority did not)
  • landscape scenes with WCG looked better especially the secret cabin scenes as well as the water reclaimer scenes
  • HDR gives a heightened sense of involvement and depth; especially the night scenes but the BD (as we already know), had better blacks in low APL areas whereas the HDR contrast ratio when factoring in the higher APL impact, seemed more dynamic & "real"

Overall we both preferred watching this movie in 4K HDR (although did not have time to compare in 4K/SDR), but both agreed it's not an easy choice w/ this being such a reference BD.


BTW - that Mad Max movie only serves to remind me that at some point I need to get some better in-wall subs (if there is such a thing), as my Klipsch's ain't cutting' it w/ Atmos heavy tracks.

Edit: misread.

I can not agree less, Oblivion in 1080p 2.4 powergamma looked a whole lot better than the UHD st2084 EOTF (not calibrated as it is not possible with the JVC´s at this point) in my setup.

Last edited by Andreas21; 08-27-2016 at 10:32 AM.
Andreas21 is offline  
post #13435 of 32133 Old 08-27-2016, 10:42 AM
AVS Forum Club Gold
 
Carbon Ft Print's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2009
Location: FL
Posts: 611
Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 363 Post(s)
Liked: 302
Quote:
Originally Posted by DavidHir View Post
I recommend waiting to read reputable reviews before buying any UHD BD. Sometimes there's good discussion over at the Blu-ray site too.
These are the best two descriptions I've read about "what to look for from HDR" by Sony and Dolby.


http://pro.sony.com/bbsccms/assets/f...09V1_1_HDR.pdf
http://www.dolby.com/us/en/technolog...by-vision.html




Although specular highlights are the most talked about, I rarely see discussions about the "expanded range" of exposure levels where one can see both the full "indoor exposure range" plus the "outdoor exposure range" at the same time. There are just not enough f stops in older cameras to do this, although the eye can adjust to this effortlessly. Also, and I have yet to see this one on 4K UHD Blu Ray, a full "shadow exposure range" plus a full "outdoor exposure range" at the same time ... Dolby shows an example of this one as an underwater scene plus an outdoor sunlit scene (see Dolby's second picture window down and select the underwater scene). SDR cannot do this, only HDR. How significant this is will be determined over time as directors and post production gets better at HDR.


On another topic, I've seen one way to fake the expansion of the "shadow exposure range" is by increasing shadow contrast through the use of blue and red lighting. I've seen directors use a lot of blue light to increase the contrast in shadow scenes (Underworld, Lord of the Rings/Hobbit). For more contrast in shadow scenes, I've seen directors use blue and red lights (Stallone in Expendables when he is in his airplane. Stallone has blue light on one side of his face and red light on the other.). Blue and Red colors are dark colors luminance wise; using these colors can increase contrast, without significantly constricting the eye's pupil, thereby maintaining the "shadow exposure range" as perceived by the audience.


The whole point of this is movie envelopment. I want to see "everything" in a movie as though I was there. HDR helps by allowing my eyes see the full exposure range of anything I'm looking at. If my eyes can quickly/instantaneous adapt from shadow to outdoor exposure range in real life, I want to be able to see this in a 4K UHD Blu Ray movie.
krichter1 likes this.

Last edited by Carbon Ft Print; 08-27-2016 at 11:50 AM.
Carbon Ft Print is offline  
post #13436 of 32133 Old 08-27-2016, 10:48 AM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
claw's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2001
Location: L'Etoile du Nord
Posts: 2,958
Mentioned: 82 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2321 Post(s)
Liked: 2174
Quote:
Originally Posted by alebonau View Post
any notice a notification for a software update for the sammy uhd ...

am presuming it cant be for the jvc as I dont have mine connected to the net, and my marantz notification I know what that looks like
Yes, the update for the player has been available for a few days now. I have so far not allowed the update. But ever since the notifications started I have been getting five second audio dropouts playing regular Blu-ray Discs. Maybe a nudge from Samsung to apply the update.

CJ
JVC RS500|LG B7A OLED|Denon X6400H/X4200W|Panasonic UB820|Two Oppo 203|Samsung K8500|Apple TV 4K|HDfury Diva/Vertex/Linker/Integral
claw is offline  
post #13437 of 32133 Old 08-27-2016, 11:17 AM
AVS Forum Club Gold
 
Carbon Ft Print's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2009
Location: FL
Posts: 611
Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 363 Post(s)
Liked: 302
Quote:
Originally Posted by alebonau View Post
any notice a notification for a software update for the sammy uhd ...

am presuming it cant be for the jvc as I dont have mine connected to the net, and my marantz notification I know what that looks like
That K8500 firmware update makes it almost impossible to have the Integral in place at power on. See https://www.avsforum.com/forum/24-dig...l#post46226457 . I now have to plug the k8500 directly to JVC, then once the UHD movie is playing, reinsert the Integral if I want to switch to SDR. Bleeding edge technology. My guess to what is going on is the K8500 is forcing its EDID setting for the K8500 "menu" and ignoring the Integral's EDID. Once the UHD movie plays, everything is ok. I'm still playing with it.
alebonau likes this.
Carbon Ft Print is offline  
post #13438 of 32133 Old 08-27-2016, 11:51 AM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
krichter1's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2002
Location: Earth (most days!)
Posts: 5,184
Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2105 Post(s)
Liked: 2382
Quote:
Originally Posted by Andreas21 View Post
Edit: misread.

I can not agree less, Oblivion in 1080p 2.4 powergamma looked a whole lot better than the UHD st2084 EOTF (not calibrated as it is not possible with the JVC´s at this point) in my setup.

Agree to disagree (that's cool), but maybe it has something to do with my calibrated HDR setup from @Chad B . For me what it did in getting another respected opinion was confirm for me… it wasn't just me.

Kevin

You only live once, but if you live it right, once is enough.
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~


==> Our 4K/3D Immersive Theater

Last edited by krichter1; 08-27-2016 at 11:56 AM.
krichter1 is offline  
post #13439 of 32133 Old 08-27-2016, 12:13 PM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
krichter1's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2002
Location: Earth (most days!)
Posts: 5,184
Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2105 Post(s)
Liked: 2382
Quote:
Originally Posted by Carbon Ft Print View Post
That K8500 firmware update makes it almost impossible to have the Integral in place at power on. See https://www.avsforum.com/forum/24-dig...l#post46226457 . I now have to plug the k8500 directly to JVC, then once the UHD movie is playing, reinsert the Integral if I want to switch to SDR. Bleeding edge technology. My guess to what is going on is the K8500 is forcing its EDID setting for the K8500 "menu" and ignoring the Integral's EDID. Once the UHD movie plays, everything is ok. I'm still playing with it.

I did the 1007 update the other eve and have not experienced any issues with the Integral in-between the Sammy 8500 & Denon 7200WA (from what I've gleaned the owners thread was guessing this update was for the rumored Netflix update to HDR in September).

Kevin

You only live once, but if you live it right, once is enough.
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~


==> Our 4K/3D Immersive Theater

Last edited by krichter1; 08-27-2016 at 12:30 PM.
krichter1 is offline  
post #13440 of 32133 Old 08-27-2016, 01:23 PM
 
Andreas21's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2007
Location: Norway
Posts: 2,424
Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1133 Post(s)
Liked: 729
Quote:
Originally Posted by krichter1 View Post
Agree to disagree (that's cool), but maybe it has something to do with my calibrated HDR setup from @Chad B . For me what it did in getting another respected opinion was confirm for me… it wasn't just me.
Mine is also "calibrated", but to calibrate it to st2084 EOTF is not possible on the JVC at the moment so the grayscale/gamma is off no matter how you do it.

I don´t think HDR looks good on the JVC with titles that actually looks good in the first place. I prefer to see them in SDR and this makes it look much better in my eyes. HDR10/JVC is simply not good enough at this point and the JVC has way to low light output to be even close to make HDR look good enough...

I also see you use the Sammy and it looks even worse than the Panasonic I use, so it is quite clear we have different preferences.
seanbryan likes this.

Last edited by Andreas21; 08-27-2016 at 01:26 PM.
Andreas21 is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
Reply Digital Hi-End Projectors - $3,000+ USD MSRP

Tags
jvc-rs500u synch/display issue? , RS600

Thread Tools
Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page


Forum Jump: 

Posting Rules  
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off