Official JVC RS600 / RS500 (X950R / X750R - X9000 / X7000) Owners Thread - Page 463 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 
 84693Likes
Reply
 
Thread Tools
post #13861 of 31987 Old 09-02-2016, 11:14 PM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
HTPCat's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Location: Citrus Heights, CA
Posts: 2,501
Mentioned: 19 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 782 Post(s)
Liked: 490
[quote=krichter1;46523089]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Javs View Post

Hmm... Well I guess something changed then because that came from the Fury thread reported here months ago and ive just been following suit w/ my built in macro sequencing in iRule (ensuring i go back to HDR during power offs).
This is specific to samsung player and is documented by hdfury in either their manual or in one of the read me text files...I just recently updated fw and saw it.
krichter1 likes this.

HTPCat
"I have a need to feed the hole with more Audio & Video toys"
HTPCat is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #13862 of 31987 Old 09-02-2016, 11:18 PM
AVS Forum Addicted Member
 
zombie10k's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Posts: 12,719
Mentioned: 159 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 5238 Post(s)
Liked: 5492
Quote:
Originally Posted by Javs View Post
For me:

Gamma 2.3 (AutoCal calibrated) with +2 on Dark to end up at bt.1886 curve. Can aboslutely leave Dark on no adjustment, just personal taste - ZERO black crush, Still an excellent perfect black floor.
Brightness +3
Contrast Zero.

It. Just. Works.
I just finished watching Lucy with those settings. That movie is some serious eye candy and looks remarkable with SDR WCG. The story kept getting stranger but went along for the ride anyway.
Tom Bley, roxiedog13 and Javs like this.
zombie10k is online now  
post #13863 of 31987 Old 09-03-2016, 12:08 AM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
Javs's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2012
Location: Sydney
Posts: 7,849
Mentioned: 475 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 6791 Post(s)
Liked: 6418
Quote:
Originally Posted by zombie10k View Post
I just finished watching Lucy with those settings. That movie is some serious eye candy and looks remarkable with SDR WCG. The story kept getting stranger but went along for the ride anyway.
Yeah that movie goes WAY off the deep end in the 2nd half but its definitely demo material.

I tell you what, I watched Capt America Civil War last night in good old 1080p Rec709 and I was struck by how great that film looks on the RS500.

I cant imagine the UHD version being much better than that, except for the additional colour maybe

With MadVR taking care of things, it was sharp as a tack, some really great mixed APL level content. I recommend everybody check it out!

Large Portions of that film were shot with the Arri Alexa 65 (Used on The Revenant), and the Arri Alexa IMAX (Based on the Alex 65) and it definitely shows. Stunning fine detail, extremely clean film.

No Atmos soundtrack unfortunately.



BTW... where the heck is all the Marvel stuff in UHD??

JVC X9500 (RS620) | 120" 16:9 | Marantz AV7702 MkII | Emotiva XPA-7 | DIY Modular Towers | DIY TPL-150 Surrounds | DIY Atmos | DIY 18" Subs
-
MadVR Settings | UHD Waveform Analysis | Arve Tool Instructions + V3 Javs Curves
Javs is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #13864 of 31987 Old 09-03-2016, 04:05 AM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
roxiedog13's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2011
Location: North 48 °
Posts: 3,893
Mentioned: 31 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2754 Post(s)
Liked: 1429
[quote=krichter1;46523089]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Javs View Post

Hmm... Well I guess something changed then because that came from the Fury thread reported here months ago and ive just been following suit w/ my built in macro sequencing in iRule (ensuring i go back to HDR during power offs).

Quoting yourself, split personality maybe? Question is, which one is wearing the skirt, aaaah, I mean kilt? u

Last edited by roxiedog13; 09-03-2016 at 06:52 AM.
roxiedog13 is offline  
post #13865 of 31987 Old 09-03-2016, 04:07 AM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
Javs's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2012
Location: Sydney
Posts: 7,849
Mentioned: 475 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 6791 Post(s)
Liked: 6418
Quote:
Originally Posted by roxiedog13 View Post


Quoting yourself, split personality maybe? Question is, which one is wearing the skirt, ahhhh, I mean kilt?
Nah I didn't write that, the quoting system is stuffed up in this thread a bit. Krichter actually wrote that not me, in reply to something I said

See, even says krichter quote at the top of your post... its being going on for a couple of pages now. Super confusing.

JVC X9500 (RS620) | 120" 16:9 | Marantz AV7702 MkII | Emotiva XPA-7 | DIY Modular Towers | DIY TPL-150 Surrounds | DIY Atmos | DIY 18" Subs
-
MadVR Settings | UHD Waveform Analysis | Arve Tool Instructions + V3 Javs Curves
Javs is offline  
post #13866 of 31987 Old 09-03-2016, 04:31 AM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
DLCPhoto's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2003
Location: Mooresville, NC
Posts: 2,355
Mentioned: 14 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1560 Post(s)
Liked: 693
Ok, so what's the bottom line for settings when using the Panasonic for UHD discs, for those of us who don't yet have/need/want the Fury? I know with the Samsung, JVC had recommended some specific settings, but it seems that isn't needed for the Panny, if I'm reading everyone's posts right.

So, for UHD, with HDR output on the Panny:
BT2020 as the color profile
Gamma 2.3, Dark Level up 2 per your own taste/preferences
Brightness 3
Contrast 0

Any other specific adjustments or settings that need to be made either on the Panny or the JVC? And have I omitted or misunderstood any of the settings I've listed?

And, for SDR output from the Panny, just use your regular settings for any other 1080P Blu-ray (other than eShift being on)? Or are other tweaks needed?

I've done JVC Autocal (RS400 in my case, but it seems settings-wise, it wouldn't be treated any differently, right?), and am strongly considering getting the Panny. Just want to be prepared to evaluate it with optimal settings, to decide if it's worth $700! And from there, decide if I need the Fury in addition.

Thanks.

Don

JVC RS400, Marantz SR7010, Screen Innovations 160" 2.35:1 Screen
Front L/R: Duntech Sovereigns, powered by 2 bridged Adcom GFA-555
Center: Revel C208 powered by Cambridge Audio Azur 851W
Dolby Bed (4): Sony Core SS-CS5, Atmos (4): Ascend Acoustics CBM-170 SE
Subwoofer: DIY 8' sub with 4 18" SI Drivers, powered by iNuke 6000
DLCPhoto is offline  
post #13867 of 31987 Old 09-03-2016, 04:54 AM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
Aztar35's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2016
Posts: 2,866
Mentioned: 28 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2283 Post(s)
Liked: 1208
Quote:
Originally Posted by Javs View Post

BTW... where the heck is all the Marvel stuff in UHD??
I'm not sure that Civil War is expected to be released in UHD. X-Men Apocalypse is, however.
Aztar35 is offline  
post #13868 of 31987 Old 09-03-2016, 05:07 AM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
Javs's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2012
Location: Sydney
Posts: 7,849
Mentioned: 475 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 6791 Post(s)
Liked: 6418
Quote:
Originally Posted by DLCPhoto View Post
Ok, so what's the bottom line for settings when using the Panasonic for UHD discs, for those of us who don't yet have/need/want the Fury? I know with the Samsung, JVC had recommended some specific settings, but it seems that isn't needed for the Panny, if I'm reading everyone's posts right.

So, for UHD, with HDR output on the Panny:
BT2020 as the color profile
Gamma 2.3, Dark Level up 2 per your own taste/preferences
Brightness 3
Contrast 0

Any other specific adjustments or settings that need to be made either on the Panny or the JVC? And have I omitted or misunderstood any of the settings I've listed?

And, for SDR output from the Panny, just use your regular settings for any other 1080P Blu-ray (other than eShift being on)? Or are other tweaks needed?

I've done JVC Autocal (RS400 in my case, but it seems settings-wise, it wouldn't be treated any differently, right?), and am strongly considering getting the Panny. Just want to be prepared to evaluate it with optimal settings, to decide if it's worth $700! And from there, decide if I need the Fury in addition.

Thanks.

Don
Hi Don,

For HDR, you are still going to need to use Gamma D. And something like 12/5/5 on the gamma tweaks.

I had mine on JVC Contrast +14 which clipped right around 1200 nits.
JVC Brightnes I had on +3 also.

When you use SDR on the Panasonic without using a Fury you will be totally forgoing HDR obviously but more importantly you will also be kicked back to Rec.709. At that point the only UHD advantage you will be getting is the marginal sharpness increase and none of the wide colour gamut. Thats why we are all using the Fury. SDR, but the WCG to go with it. Makes for a fantastic image for those of us who dont think HDR on our JVC's is where it needs to be, or really dont want to give up that contrast performance with HDR since the Auto Iris does not function under HDR mode.

Other than that, the great thing about the Panny for HDR and even SDR BT.2020 you dont need to set any cutom picture modes on it. It just works right out of the box!

I will say that even HDR itself, though you hear a lot of us Panny users using SDR actually works far better than it did with the Samsung too. It just seems to be mapped a little better, I find the shadow detail far improved in HDR under the Panasonic for eg. Thats without even getting in to how much better the Panasonic tone maps HDR to SDR. Hell, even BT2020 seems much more controlled and accurate under the Panny. There is certainly a red push on the Samsung vs the Panasonic. Mad Max shows this to you within second of booting the film. The desert looks like a desert not some orange thing.

JVC X9500 (RS620) | 120" 16:9 | Marantz AV7702 MkII | Emotiva XPA-7 | DIY Modular Towers | DIY TPL-150 Surrounds | DIY Atmos | DIY 18" Subs
-
MadVR Settings | UHD Waveform Analysis | Arve Tool Instructions + V3 Javs Curves
Javs is offline  
post #13869 of 31987 Old 09-03-2016, 05:44 AM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
Aztar35's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2016
Posts: 2,866
Mentioned: 28 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2283 Post(s)
Liked: 1208
Can anyone please tell me if I can actually get SDR BT2020 color to display using the automix setting in the Fury by checking off BT2020, rather than using the preset EDID 10?

I'm using a two HDMI out solution from my player due to my legacy receiver model and using EDID 10 causes sync issues where as using the SDR BT2020 flags in automix does not.

But I can't tell if using those flags actually is sending through BT2020.

Here's my issue. Using the Sammy, I ran a calibration disc (in conjunction w/ an i1dis3 meter) through the player's dynamic mode wanting to use for SDR; in the PJ, I had to set gamma at 2.4 and raised gamma white as follows: tone +12, dark +4, bright +5. I then set the PJ's contrast at +14 and brightness at +1. I found this calibration to be odd in that these settings were very similar to those used for HDR. But the image tones now surprisingly looked very close to standard BR but with the UHD benefits. Watching some content, however, I noticed a green hue to some highlights that showed up on a few occasions. That hue made me wonder if I was really getting BT2020, and it wasn't as prevalent with EDID 10, but #10 was no good on sync for me.

Last edited by Aztar35; 09-03-2016 at 05:55 AM.
Aztar35 is offline  
post #13870 of 31987 Old 09-03-2016, 06:05 AM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
COACH2369's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2004
Location: Knoxville, TN
Posts: 3,408
Mentioned: 45 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1168 Post(s)
Liked: 986
Quote:
Originally Posted by Aztar35 View Post
What settings are you using on the JVC when watching UHD discs on the Panny?
Gamma?
Brightness?
Contrast?
I had mine professionally calibrated by ChadB, so I will have to see what he has mine set at the next time I turn my projector on.

Quote:
Originally Posted by zombie10k View Post
tonight's UHD SDR viewing per Manni's recommendation.

Might have to pick up "Lucy" this weekend...
COACH2369 is offline  
post #13871 of 31987 Old 09-03-2016, 06:07 AM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
DLCPhoto's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2003
Location: Mooresville, NC
Posts: 2,355
Mentioned: 14 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1560 Post(s)
Liked: 693
Quote:
Originally Posted by Javs View Post
Hi Don,

For HDR, you are still going to need to use Gamma D. And something like 12/5/5 on the gamma tweaks.

I had mine on JVC Contrast +14 which clipped right around 1200 nits.
JVC Brightnes I had on +3 also.

When you use SDR on the Panasonic without using a Fury you will be totally forgoing HDR obviously but more importantly you will also be kicked back to Rec.709. At that point the only UHD advantage you will be getting is the marginal sharpness increase and none of the wide colour gamut. Thats why we are all using the Fury. SDR, but the WCG to go with it. Makes for a fantastic image for those of us who dont think HDR on our JVC's is where it needs to be, or really dont want to give up that contrast performance with HDR since the Auto Iris does not function under HDR mode.

Other than that, the great thing about the Panny for HDR and even SDR BT.2020 you dont need to set any cutom picture modes on it. It just works right out of the box!

I will say that even HDR itself, though you hear a lot of us Panny users using SDR actually works far better than it did with the Samsung too. It just seems to be mapped a little better, I find the shadow detail far improved in HDR under the Panasonic for eg. Thats without even getting in to how much better the Panasonic tone maps HDR to SDR. Hell, even BT2020 seems much more controlled and accurate under the Panny. There is certainly a red push on the Samsung vs the Panasonic. Mad Max shows this to you within second of booting the film. The desert looks like a desert not some orange thing.
Thanks!

Yeah, I knew about, but forgot about, Gamma D. I think I hadn't run Autocal on the BT2020 when I did it, so with more hours on the bulb, I guess I'll do a re-run, and include the BT2020, since that's what I'd be using with HDR, right?

And yeah, I realize I'd be losing the WCG using the Panny to output SDR, and this is why people get the Fury. But assuming I get the Panny, will see how it works on its own, and go from there. I don't think I have as discriminating an eye as yet, so will just see how it looks.

I don't know if it's the same "red push" as the Samsung or not, but I had a Roku 4 for a few days, and no matter what I did, most of the 4k content from Amazon/Netflix had a fairly dramatic red push (reported on Roku forums since last October), so that even the men seemed to be wearing lipstick! Sent that back pretty quick...

Thanks again.

Don

JVC RS400, Marantz SR7010, Screen Innovations 160" 2.35:1 Screen
Front L/R: Duntech Sovereigns, powered by 2 bridged Adcom GFA-555
Center: Revel C208 powered by Cambridge Audio Azur 851W
Dolby Bed (4): Sony Core SS-CS5, Atmos (4): Ascend Acoustics CBM-170 SE
Subwoofer: DIY 8' sub with 4 18" SI Drivers, powered by iNuke 6000
DLCPhoto is offline  
post #13872 of 31987 Old 09-03-2016, 06:20 AM
AVS Forum Club Gold
 
Carbon Ft Print's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2009
Location: FL
Posts: 608
Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 362 Post(s)
Liked: 302
Quote:
Originally Posted by krichter1 View Post

Point is… if you start your gear up while on EDID=10 you can't switch to EDID=8 "on the fly" (but if you start-up w/ '8' then you can switch back-n-forth at will; without power cycling your gear within the Integral chain).
I recalled HDFury stating the K8500 had to be disconnected from power then reconnected in order for K8500 to go through a proper EDID sequence among devices. I found I could go from HDR to SDR after initial power up of devices. It failed one time when going from SDR back to HDR ... so I began disconnecting then reconnecting power to the K8500 to get HDR back again.

After I updated the firmware in both Integral and K8500 recently, I found I could go from HDR (power up) to SDR to HDR without disconnecting and reconnecting power to the K8500. I'll have to test this again several times to see if this is a reliable workflow.

krichter: Btw, I used to live in Naperville, IL. My wife and I worked for AT&T Bell Labs for nearly 25 years. Live in FL now ... my wife loves the weather here.

Last edited by Carbon Ft Print; 09-03-2016 at 06:41 AM.
Carbon Ft Print is offline  
post #13873 of 31987 Old 09-03-2016, 06:25 AM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
COACH2369's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2004
Location: Knoxville, TN
Posts: 3,408
Mentioned: 45 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1168 Post(s)
Liked: 986
Here are a few screen shots I took last night while going through some demos.

Hopefully my camera took a decent enough picture to show the detail.

I like how well the green and black look in the scenes with Wolverine along with the detail on his face.

Then in Deadpool the detail of the bartender's flannel shirt stood out to me...
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Resized_20160902_144419.jpg
Views:	100
Size:	121.8 KB
ID:	1639001   Click image for larger version

Name:	Resized_20160902_144602.jpg
Views:	97
Size:	251.1 KB
ID:	1639009   Click image for larger version

Name:	Resized_20160902_145110.jpg
Views:	92
Size:	118.0 KB
ID:	1639017   Click image for larger version

Name:	Resized_20160902_150330.jpg
Views:	87
Size:	112.1 KB
ID:	1639025   Click image for larger version

Name:	Resized_20160902_145920.jpg
Views:	93
Size:	82.8 KB
ID:	1639033  

Click image for larger version

Name:	Resized_20160902_142341.jpg
Views:	84
Size:	80.3 KB
ID:	1639041  
COACH2369 is offline  
post #13874 of 31987 Old 09-03-2016, 06:55 AM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
roxiedog13's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2011
Location: North 48 °
Posts: 3,893
Mentioned: 31 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2754 Post(s)
Liked: 1429
Quote:
Originally Posted by Javs View Post
Nah I didn't write that, the quoting system is stuffed up in this thread a bit. Krichter actually wrote that not me, in reply to something I said

See, even says krichter quote at the top of your post... its being going on for a couple of pages now. Super confusing.
Fair enough, just having a lark .
roxiedog13 is offline  
post #13875 of 31987 Old 09-03-2016, 07:09 AM
AVS Forum Addicted Member
 
zombie10k's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Posts: 12,719
Mentioned: 159 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 5238 Post(s)
Liked: 5492
Quote:
Originally Posted by COACH2369 View Post
I had mine professionally calibrated by ChadB, so I will have to see what he has mine set at the next time I turn my projector on.

Might have to pick up "Lucy" this weekend...
you have to pick up Lucy and see it in SDR, this is pure eye candy. it's definitely one of the best visual presentations i've seen in my HT and will use it for demo material when guests visit.
COACH2369 and atabea like this.
zombie10k is online now  
post #13876 of 31987 Old 09-03-2016, 08:25 AM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
Aztar35's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2016
Posts: 2,866
Mentioned: 28 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2283 Post(s)
Liked: 1208
Quote:
Originally Posted by COACH2369 View Post
Here are a few screen shots I took last night while going through some demos.

Hopefully my camera took a decent enough picture to show the detail.

I like how well the green and black look in the scenes with Wolverine along with the detail on his face.

Then in Deadpool the detail of the bartender's flannel shirt stood out to me...
Very nice, Coach. I've had my computer monitor calibrated and your colors look spot on from here. But do the whites/highlights in the faces appear at about the same level in person on your screen as they do in your pictures?
Aztar35 is offline  
post #13877 of 31987 Old 09-03-2016, 08:44 AM
Newbie
 
Join Date: Mar 2016
Location: Sweden
Posts: 6
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked: 1
What input signal / level do you use, Super white or? I think of the recommended HDR settings!
mcmike1 is offline  
post #13878 of 31987 Old 09-03-2016, 08:48 AM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
COACH2369's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2004
Location: Knoxville, TN
Posts: 3,408
Mentioned: 45 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1168 Post(s)
Liked: 986
Quote:
Originally Posted by Aztar35 View Post
Very nice, Coach. I've had my computer monitor calibrated and your colors look spot on from here. But do the whites/highlights in the faces appear at about the same level in person on your screen as they do in your pictures?
I think they look really good in person. Some scenes they look better than others, but I think that has to do with the source material. Nothing looks "bad" since I made the switch from the Samsung.

If you think they don't look right, then it could be that I need a slight tweaking in my calibration due to the new setup.

I will have to ask @chadb if that is something that might need to happen.
COACH2369 is offline  
post #13879 of 31987 Old 09-03-2016, 09:13 AM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
Aztar35's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2016
Posts: 2,866
Mentioned: 28 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2283 Post(s)
Liked: 1208
Quote:
Originally Posted by COACH2369 View Post
I think they look really good in person. Some scenes they look better than others, but I think that has to do with the source material. Nothing looks "bad" since I made the switch from the Samsung.

If you think they don't look right, then it could be that I need a slight tweaking in my calibration due to the new setup.

I will have to ask @chadb if that is something that might need to happen.
Yeah, that Panny seems awesome. Congrats!

And I want to say that what I think doesn't matter, especially if they look good to you in person. It just seemed like there was some clipping going on from where I'm seeing them. It could just be the camera transfer. Even in those scenes, I keep in mind that the ANSI on these new JVCs is outstanding.
Aztar35 is offline  
post #13880 of 31987 Old 09-03-2016, 09:16 AM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
krichter1's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2002
Location: Earth (most days!)
Posts: 5,175
Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2096 Post(s)
Liked: 2365
[quote=Javs;46523617]
Quote:
Originally Posted by krichter1 View Post

Did it just the other day a bunch of times, started watching Batman v Supes in SDR, then switched on HDR half way through, then back again.

Are you on the latest Fury fw? Do you actually use the Fury much to test this?

There has been two firmware updates for it since ive owned it.

On the Panny at least, in my experience, I don't have to change a thing or power anything down. I seem to remember the Samsung being no different.

That's gotta be it then (I haven't done once since I got it in Mar/Apr). But you're also right about using the Fury… I do b/c it's active in the chain but never use 4K/SDR any more on the Samsung (it blows!).
Javs and MJV29 like this.

Kevin

You only live once, but if you live it right, once is enough.
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~


==> Our 4K/3D Immersive Theater
krichter1 is offline  
post #13881 of 31987 Old 09-03-2016, 09:16 AM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
COACH2369's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2004
Location: Knoxville, TN
Posts: 3,408
Mentioned: 45 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1168 Post(s)
Liked: 986
Quote:
Originally Posted by Aztar35 View Post
Yeah, that Panny seems awesome. Congrats!

And I want to say that what I think doesn't matter, especially if they look good to you in person. It just seemed like there was some clipping going on from where I'm seeing them. It could just be the camera transfer. Even in those scenes, I keep in mind that the ANSI on these new JVCs is outstanding.
I am not tech savy enough to know what "clipping" is, so I am not sure I would be able to point it out.

Chad will be here later this month, so I will have him work some magic if needed.
COACH2369 is offline  
post #13882 of 31987 Old 09-03-2016, 09:39 AM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
Aztar35's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2016
Posts: 2,866
Mentioned: 28 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2283 Post(s)
Liked: 1208
Quote:
Originally Posted by COACH2369 View Post
I am not tech savy enough to know what "clipping" is, so I am not sure I would be able to point it out.
Sorry, and I'm probably no better because clipping is a word often used but maybe not so easily defined. I'd say it can be considered as a loss in image detail due to blown out areas/highlights --if that helps.
Aztar35 is offline  
post #13883 of 31987 Old 09-03-2016, 09:43 AM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
Aztar35's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2016
Posts: 2,866
Mentioned: 28 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2283 Post(s)
Liked: 1208
Quote:
Originally Posted by krichter1 View Post
That's gotta be it then (I haven't done once since I got it in Mar/Apr). But you're also right about using the Fury… I do b/c it's active in the chain but never use 4K/SDR any more on the Samsung (it blows!).

Kevin, how's that new sub working out with your PJ?
Aztar35 is offline  
post #13884 of 31987 Old 09-03-2016, 10:06 AM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
docrog's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2001
Location: Okatie, SC
Posts: 1,292
Mentioned: 14 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1060 Post(s)
Liked: 361
I'd like to ask, again, is there any downside in leaving the Ethernet cable plugged in permanently at both ends (JVC & router) after completing Autocal?
docrog is offline  
post #13885 of 31987 Old 09-03-2016, 10:38 AM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
krichter1's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2002
Location: Earth (most days!)
Posts: 5,175
Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2096 Post(s)
Liked: 2365
Quote:
Originally Posted by Javs View Post
Yeah that movie goes WAY off the deep end in the 2nd half but its definitely demo material.

I tell you what, I watched Capt America Civil War last night in good old 1080p Rec709 and I was struck by how great that film looks on the RS500.

I cant imagine the UHD version being much better than that, except for the additional colour maybe

With MadVR taking care of things, it was sharp as a tack, some really great mixed APL level content. I recommend everybody check it out!

Large Portions of that film were shot with the Arri Alexa 65 (Used on The Revenant), and the Arri Alexa IMAX (Based on the Alex 65) and it definitely shows. Stunning fine detail, extremely clean film.

No Atmos soundtrack unfortunately.

BTW... where the heck is all the Marvel stuff in UHD??

How the heck did you get this so early!? (you lucky Bastardo!)

We saw this in IMAX 3D originally and I kept leaning over to my wife saying how good this was going to look in 3D in our theater (but after like the 3rd time she said, "yes dear but let's just enjoy this version now").

Can't wait to see this in 3D but like you mention kinda bummed not on Atmos (and as far as UHD goes… they know what they have in this series and know if they don't release this version first there'd be no opportunity for "the double dip"!

Kevin

You only live once, but if you live it right, once is enough.
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~


==> Our 4K/3D Immersive Theater
krichter1 is offline  
post #13886 of 31987 Old 09-03-2016, 11:01 AM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
krichter1's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2002
Location: Earth (most days!)
Posts: 5,175
Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2096 Post(s)
Liked: 2365
Quote:
Originally Posted by Aztar35 View Post
Kevin, how's that new sub working out with your PJ?

It was just delivered and unboxed.

Not overly crazy about the look in the room but I guess with how big it is it's acceptable and hides fairly well (I'm half hoping it won't sound good there and I'll have to put it in the back corner of the room),
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_2427.jpg
Views:	97
Size:	74.5 KB
ID:	1639465   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_2428.jpg
Views:	95
Size:	64.2 KB
ID:	1639473   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_2429.jpg
Views:	90
Size:	90.5 KB
ID:	1639481  

Kevin

You only live once, but if you live it right, once is enough.
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~


==> Our 4K/3D Immersive Theater
krichter1 is offline  
post #13887 of 31987 Old 09-03-2016, 11:05 AM
Advanced Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2014
Posts: 929
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 742 Post(s)
Liked: 123
Quote:
Originally Posted by zombie10k View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by COACH2369 View Post
I had mine professionally calibrated by ChadB, so I will have to see what he has mine set at the next time I turn my projector on.

Might have to pick up "Lucy" this weekend...
you have to pick up Lucy and see it in SDR, this is pure eye candy. it's definitely one of the best visual presentations i've seen in my HT and will use it for demo material when guests visit.
Hi Zombie10k

Could you pls advise me why you prefer SDR using Fury? Is it because HDR is too dark? How is picture quality comparison between HDR WCG and SDR WCG? I just ordered Lucy as well.

I have my rs500 on my way. So I have not seen it so far. My dealer told me it is not dark once it is calibrated properly . That is why I let them calibrated it. Any comments on HDR after calibration ? Thx
Roudan is offline  
post #13888 of 31987 Old 09-03-2016, 11:24 AM
AVS Forum Club Gold
 
Carbon Ft Print's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2009
Location: FL
Posts: 608
Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 362 Post(s)
Liked: 302
Quote:
Originally Posted by docrog View Post
I'd like to ask, again, is there any downside in leaving the Ethernet cable plugged in permanently at both ends (JVC & router) after completing Autocal?
JVC Firmware update procedure requires no other cables to be plugged in except power cord. So you'll have to disconnect the Ethernet/LAN cable. See http://www3.jvckenwood.com/english/d...00_uhd-dl.html


I've never heard any issues with LAN connections.

Last edited by Carbon Ft Print; 09-03-2016 at 11:33 AM.
Carbon Ft Print is offline  
post #13889 of 31987 Old 09-03-2016, 11:47 AM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
krichter1's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2002
Location: Earth (most days!)
Posts: 5,175
Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2096 Post(s)
Liked: 2365
Wow does that new JVC 4K laser sound nice (and too expensive!)…

"The DLA-Z1 also boasts the worlds smallest native 4K DILA device that narrows the pixel gap by 31% against former items with a resolution of true 4K at 4096 x 2160 pixels from the three 0.69inch for red, green and blue. The light source is, of course, the 'Blu-Escent' which is a blue laser diode with 20,000 operational hours and a claimed 3,000 lumens brightness. This will help produce more realistic peak brightness for HDR content and also larger screen sizes. The laser can control output according to the scenes brightness and contrast using the Dynamic Light Source Control. JVC claim they can reach a contrast ratio of infinity with this technology."


Kevin

You only live once, but if you live it right, once is enough.
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~


==> Our 4K/3D Immersive Theater
krichter1 is offline  
post #13890 of 31987 Old 09-03-2016, 11:51 AM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2002
Posts: 1,638
Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 568 Post(s)
Liked: 566
Quote:
Originally Posted by Javs View Post
Hi Don,

For HDR, you are still going to need to use Gamma D. And something like 12/5/5 on the gamma tweaks.

I had mine on JVC Contrast +14 which clipped right around 1200 nits.
JVC Brightnes I had on +3 also.

When you use SDR on the Panasonic without using a Fury you will be totally forgoing HDR obviously but more importantly you will also be kicked back to Rec.709. At that point the only UHD advantage you will be getting is the marginal sharpness increase and none of the wide colour gamut. Thats why we are all using the Fury. SDR, but the WCG to go with it. Makes for a fantastic image for those of us who dont think HDR on our JVC's is where it needs to be, or really dont want to give up that contrast performance with HDR since the Auto Iris does not function under HDR mode.

Other than that, the great thing about the Panny for HDR and even SDR BT.2020 you dont need to set any cutom picture modes on it. It just works right out of the box!

I will say that even HDR itself, though you hear a lot of us Panny users using SDR actually works far better than it did with the Samsung too. It just seems to be mapped a little better, I find the shadow detail far improved in HDR under the Panasonic for eg. Thats without even getting in to how much better the Panasonic tone maps HDR to SDR. Hell, even BT2020 seems much more controlled and accurate under the Panny. There is certainly a red push on the Samsung vs the Panasonic. Mad Max shows this to you within second of booting the film. The desert looks like a desert not some orange thing.


I am going to agree on the SDR/2020. I used Calman and my Lumagen Pro and the initial pre Calibration pass with the basic settings for bt2020 via the JVC profile were almost spot on. I had a few Delta errors but overall was surprised how accurate it was. I did a quick Autocal to tighten everything up.

Lind Family HT
HT - RS2000 - ST130 - Emotiva RMC-1 - XPA-7 - XPA-5 - GE Triton 2 - GE Supercenter XXL - GE Invisa 650 x 8 - Xbox One X - PS4 Pro - Oppo BDP-203 - Kalediscape Strato - HTPC 1008ti- Dual SVS PB16-Ultra's - Lumagen Radiance Pro
kaotikr1 is online now  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
Reply Digital Hi-End Projectors - $3,000+ USD MSRP

Tags
jvc-rs500u synch/display issue? , RS600

Thread Tools
Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page


Forum Jump: 

Posting Rules  
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off