Official JVC RS600 / RS500 (X950R / X750R - X9000 / X7000) Owners Thread - Page 537 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 
 84694Likes

post #16081 of 31987 Old 10-29-2016, 02:16 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2096 Post(s)
Liked: 2365
Quote:
Originally Posted by lovingdvd View Post
UB900->4K certified 6' cable -> 8802a Blu-ray Input.
8802a -> 4k certified 6' cable -> Integral HDCP 2.2 input
Interal HDCP 2.2 output -> Celerity 50' Fiber HDMI cable -> RS500
Hmmm... well ok... you do have a D&M receiver where most have reported success sooo... any chance the fiber cable is causing this (I bring it up b/c you're the only one using this type cable that i have heard)??

Quote:
Yup in the end I figured I'd just keep it... also a big reason I kept the Ultra is because I can play some demo 4K UHD clips from it which are absolutely STUNNING.
Oh yeah they look awesome especially uTube in full 4K/60 (we posted a number of pics early on when the Roku4 came out... STUNNING!)

Kevin

You only live once, but if you live it right, once is enough.
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

==> Our 4K/3D Immersive Theater

Last edited by krichter1; 10-29-2016 at 02:26 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #16082 of 31987 Old 10-29-2016, 02:25 PM
AVS Forum Addicted Member

Mentioned: 78 Post(s)
Quoted: 3639 Post(s)
Liked: 810
Quote:
Originally Posted by krichter1 View Post
Hmmm... well ok... you do have a D&M receiver where most have reported success sooo... any chance the fiber cable is causing this (I bring it up b/c your the only one using this type cable that i have heard)??
Others here have reported great success with this same fiber cable and the JVC, which is why I decided to try it. At first I bought a 50' Fusion4K cable that was "4K certified". The Panasonic UB900 would not connect at 4:4:4 over this cable, it kept falling back to 4:2:2. When I switched to this fiber cable I could connect at 4:4:4. Also as noted the issue did not happen once I removed the Integral and was using this same fiber cable in those tests. I am quite sure it is not this cable.

But at any rate we shouldn't lose sight of the fact that regardless of what is triggering this, the JVC needs to handle it much more gracefully then locking up and requiring a power cycle to be able to display any video again. Also note that in the past day a few others JVC owners have come through and said they have had this same exact video lockup (viewing my video and confirming they had the same issue) and they are not using the fiber cable.
post #16083 of 31987 Old 10-29-2016, 02:34 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Others here have reported great success with this same fiber cable and the JVC, which is why I decided to try it. At first I bought a 50' Fusion4K cable that was "4K certified". The Panasonic UB900 would not connect at 4:4:4 over this cable, it kept falling back to 4:2:2. When I switched to this fiber cable I could connect at 4:4:4. Also as noted the issue did not happen once I removed the Integral and was using this same fiber cable in those tests. I am quite sure it is not this cable.

But at any rate we shouldn't lose sight of the fact that regardless of what is triggering this, the JVC needs to handle it much more gracefully then locking up and requiring a power cycle to be able to display any video again. Also note that in the past day a few others JVC owners have come through and said they have had this same exact video lockup (viewing my video and confirming they had the same issue) and they are not using the fiber cable.
I hear what you're sayin' but getting JVC to issue a fix at this point could be a pipe dream (in all my years owning 5 diff versions I've not seen any FW updates this late into the year), not saying impossible but we should try to fix your issue if at all possible, with what you have now IMO (at least rule out each piece in the chain).

How about changing the 444 as CJ suggested and try to reproduce again. I would think sending 12bit that long is right at the cusp this cable can support (the fact this is even working for you at more than 24p surprises me!). Any way to eliminate the fiber by moving the PJ closer as a temp test (in addition to the 444->422/420 test)?

Kevin

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #16084 of 31987 Old 10-29-2016, 03:47 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Exclamation Holy CRAP... Alan Gouger IS BACK!!

For those of you who've been around a while on AVS Forum & bought from AVScience know full well who "the Founder" Alan Gouger is and what he's done for each of you over the years (I know what he and his team have done for me with all the great deals not to mention the knowledgeBOMBing on AVSF over the years!).

Well... now he's back and they've officially stated their own discussion threads on AVScience.com (which is Awesome!). Here's a message from Alan I thought you'd find interesting. I'm all signed up on their new site and ready to contribute to the new JVC owners thread (now I know why Mike & Craig changed they Avatars and tag lines!).

Kevin

post #16085 of 31987 Old 10-29-2016, 03:58 PM

Mentioned: 232 Post(s)
Quoted: 11825 Post(s)
Liked: 9357
Send a message via Skype™ to Mike Garrett
Quote:
@Mike Garrett Unfortunately the issue happened yet again tonight. Tho it may be fortunate in that it seems I have a way to reproduce it.

Here's what I did tonight:

- Was watching 1080p60 from Xfinity X1 box
- Switched 8802a input to Panasonic UB900
- Roger Waters The Wall started playing automatically since that's where I left off last time.
- I took note of the Panasonic and JVC Info screens, as included below. UB900 was outputting 4K/24 SDR/BT.709 YCbCr4:4:4/12 bit. JVC says it was receiving 4K(3840)24, 12 bit YUV.
- I pressed Stop on the Blu-ray from the remote. It brought up a Panasonic splash screen, still at the same resolution.
- I switched the 8802a back to the Xfinity X1 input and then I go the horizontal lines which I have notated in the other two posts, as before.
- Mike said the next time it happened to pull the HDMI cable from the pj and give it up to 10 minutes.
- I pulled the HDMI and the screen went black. Then after about 5-10 seconds it went haywire with all sorts of flashing colors. See new video here: http://i177.photobucket.com/albums/w...ps72zcpkg1.mp4
- I left the HDMI unplugged for 15 minutes and it continued to flash like that the whole time. I then gave up since Mike said to give it up to 10 minutes.
- I plugged the HDMI back in. After a few seconds the original horizontal scrolling lines came back.
- I then had to power cycle the unit.

Configuration:
- The UB900 and JVC both have the very latest firmware (u83.2).
- The UB900 is connected to the 8802a using a 6 foot 4K certified Fusion4K cable.
- The 8802a is connected to an HD Fury Integral, set to EDIT custom #10 ("4k60-420 12-bit BT.2020 FS") - this is the setting that strips HDR - over a 6 foot Fusion4K HDMI cable. Could the Integral be causing an issue? I know MANY RS500 owners use this without any issues...? EDIT: YES - THE INTEGRAL COULD BE PLAYING A PART - See note at the bottom of this post.
- And the Integral is connected to the RS500 over a 50' Celerity Fiber HDMI cable. I am not sure what is condition is triggering this, but whatever it is there should at least be a way for the JVC to be able to resync / reset its video signal.

Although I'd certainly expect the JVC to not have this happen in the first place, the problem is exasperated by the fact that it cannot recover without a power cycle. This scenario is not a fluke scenario either - it is very common for me to be watching 4k/24. I have played several 4K UHD blu-rays presumably at 4K/24 without this happening, but those were with the BT2020 (in both SDR and HDR) if that should matter. I have also watched 1080p Blu-rays in BT.709 that were not concerts without this happening. The common thing so far is that both Blu-rays this has happened on have been concerts. Not sure if that's just a coincidence. Although since The Wall is playing back at 4K/24 I'm not sure that even matters (it's not like it is a 4k60 signal).

Mike - Can you please update JVC with this latest information and let me know what other troubleshooting steps you'd like me to take, and where we go from here? Thanks.

Video of flashing colors after pulling HDMI cable (as desscribed above) here: http://i177.photobucket.com/albums/w...ps72zcpkg1.mp4

EDIT: I turned all the gear off and removed the HD Fury Integral. I then repeated the sequence outlined above and the HDMI lockup did not occur. I went back and forth between playing The Wall and back to Comcast X1 three times and I could not trigger the lockup to occur. I cannot say for sure whether it is definitely the Integral because I don't know for sure if the sequence will always cause the lockup with the Integral in the chain. So later today I will put the Integral back in and then repeat these steps. If the lockup occurs then I will have more confidence the Integral is playing a role. In which case I wonder why others are not seeing this issue, given how popular the Integral is with JVC owners...?
I have sent JVC a link to this post, but it is starting to sound like the problem may not be the JVC. keep us updated.
post #16086 of 31987 Old 10-29-2016, 04:32 PM

Mentioned: 17 Post(s)
Quoted: 2755 Post(s)
Liked: 2662
Quote:
Wait...so you've got a a 50 foot cable that is working to send UHD to the JVC? I've been waiting on confirmation of such a beast because I have a 45 foot run to the JVC (and an unopened Panny UB900). I remember checking in to the Celerity but can't find a price. How much was your 50 foot cable if you don't mind my asking?

Unfortunately it's a complete bummer to have the news of a working 50 foot cable for UHD accompanied by technical problems with the same set up I'd want to use it for (Panny UHD to JVC).

Sigh...
post #16087 of 31987 Old 10-29-2016, 07:47 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 522 Post(s)
Liked: 324
Quote:
Originally Posted by MacFreibier View Post
The interesting point is (at least with the current data), that the Gamma drift is not related to actual usage (hours on lamp) but to age of the projector. So the Gamma drop occurs even if the projector is not being used at all and sitting in the shelve.
It's hard to imagine what could be causing behavior such as what's being described. The fact that it is being reported to have occurred on more than one unit is concerning. Also it's not bulb-related, which would normally be the first suspect.

If it were happening to me, I'd try to isolate the source of the gamma shift. I'd start by eliminating the potential candidate of defective NV-ParameterMemory storage. I.e., pull out an image of the gamma Cal data after things have been set up properly. Later, when this large drift is encountered, rather than performing another Cal, instead pull out the current data again. Compare them, to make sure that they are still the same (they should be, but may not if there's a 'data leak'). That will either cross it off the list, or identify the cause.

That would also answer the question of whether one could continue to compensate for the problem. If it is an actual drift (not just an apparent one), then by compensating more and more for it, eventually one will run out of range.
post #16088 of 31987 Old 10-29-2016, 07:57 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 19 Post(s)
Quoted: 782 Post(s)
Liked: 490
Quote:

What about placing the integral before the marantz? I thought some were doing this to avoid some issues with syncing when using panny, but i could be wrong.

HTPCat
"I have a need to feed the hole with more Audio & Video toys"
post #16089 of 31987 Old 10-29-2016, 08:01 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aztar35 View Post
No worries. The high ANSI contrast and deep blacks, I thought, made everything more visible to me.
In addition to enhanced contrast, another contributing factor can be lens quality. A sharper lens will expose grain more than a softer one will. As will greater image brightness. And of course the type and level of NR processing will have a major impact as well.

If the grain visibility that's bothersome to roxiedog isn't something that can be tamed by the internal processing on the JVC (though I thought I had read that Craig was able to come pretty close to matching the Sony image?), perhaps an external processor like a Lumagen could achieve a result closer to his preference, while allowing him to continue to enjoy the other positive qualities of the JVC that he does like.
Aztar35 likes this.
post #16090 of 31987 Old 10-29-2016, 08:11 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
BUMPING this for some feedback please...
re: "So based on what I'm reading (and considering I already own the POS Roku4), does anyone have a compelling reason for me not to return my Roku Ultra? Especially after some of the comment Ric made (makes me feel like the "upgrade" to my Roku4 isn't really worth it)."

I don't know if this comment will be worth much (or anything ), but isn't the Ultra supposed to solve the 'POS(tm) Roku4' dual problems of fan noise and overheating? That might be a practical benefit worth considering. Even if the current firmware still fails to correct existing limitations one would have hoped would be rectified.
krichter1 likes this.
post #16091 of 31987 Old 10-29-2016, 08:19 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quoted: 417 Post(s)
Liked: 101
Can anyone confirm what the output refresh rate is of the JVCRS500 is when sending the JVC a 1080p24 signal?

Is it 60 hz or 120 hz or something else? Does this change if you send the JVC 1080p60 or something else?
post #16092 of 31987 Old 10-29-2016, 09:43 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 77 Post(s)
Quoted: 2218 Post(s)
Liked: 2072
I spent today taking down my B&W DS6 dipole surrounds and rears and replacing them with some direct radiating 685's on floor stands that I had in another room. The surrounds were mounted too high on the walls to even think about adding Atmos speakers.

I then took another old pair of B&W bookshelves and set them on stands next to my fronts with them firing up at a 45 degree angle. Configured them as Dolby fronts and ran Audyssey for the 7.1.2 configuration.

Now I know what I have been missing; even this makeshift Atmos speaker setup combined with ear level front and rear surrounds was incredible compared to my old 7.1 configuration.

Now to find a pair of Dolby Add-ons to replace the angled bookshelves. I would have to do some seriously difficult wiring in order to add a set of Rear Dolby speakers so I will stick with 7.1.2 or maybe experiment with 5.1.4.

Played portions of Into Darkness, Jupiter Rising, and Lucy. What a difference in sound achieved just by adding a couple of makeshift upward firing speakers.
krichter1 and Carbon Ft Print like this.

CJ
JVC RS500|LG B7A OLED|Denon X6400H/X4200W|Panasonic UB820|Two Oppo 203|Samsung K8500|Apple TV 4K|HDfury Diva/Vertex/Linker/Integral
post #16093 of 31987 Old 10-29-2016, 11:10 PM

Mentioned: 159 Post(s)
Quoted: 5238 Post(s)
Liked: 5492
@lovingdvd - maybe swap out the 6 foot fusion 4K cable for the certified cables from HDfury. I'm using a pair of the 3 foot fusion cables and haven't had any specific issues with them. perhaps the longer lengths are problematic.

UB900->HDFury->RS600
UB900 (audio) -> 7200WA
post #16094 of 31987 Old 10-29-2016, 11:28 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 475 Post(s)
Quoted: 6791 Post(s)
Liked: 6418
Quote:
Originally Posted by Frank D View Post
Can anyone confirm what the output refresh rate is of the JVCRS500 is when sending the JVC a 1080p24 signal?

Is it 60 hz or 120 hz or something else? Does this change if you send the JVC 1080p60 or something else?
The internal panel refresh rate is 96hz IIRC.

If you feed the projector 24hz it will display 24hz perfectly, it will do it in multiples of 24, so it will show each frame 4 times to fill the 96hz refresh rate internally. You should not notice any of this happening though.

Not sure how it works with 60p to be honest given the 96hz panel rate.
Frank D and Carbon Ft Print like this.

JVC X9500 (RS620) | 120" 16:9 | Marantz AV7702 MkII | Emotiva XPA-7 | DIY Modular Towers | DIY TPL-150 Surrounds | DIY Atmos | DIY 18" Subs
-
MadVR Settings | UHD Waveform Analysis | Arve Tool Instructions + V3 Javs Curves
post #16095 of 31987 Old 10-30-2016, 12:31 AM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 122 Post(s)
Liked: 14
I will keep my Oppo 103d for watching 1080p. I intend to use the Panny straight to the X950R and the sound to my CXA 5100. I will watch just 4k blu rays, because streaming 4k is yet very rare in Brazil. To avoid the reported issue shall I change the Panny to 4.2.0 or 4.2.2, the integral in between, BT standard 2020 +WGR? My cable will be the new supra 4k, version 18bits. For sound I will connect the same cable from the panny to the CXA 5100. My sound set up is 11.2. What are the chances of JVC lock up in this configuration? Or better saying, what do you think of this? Please answer me in the way you can. I thank you in advance.
post #16096 of 31987 Old 10-30-2016, 12:37 AM

Mentioned: 159 Post(s)
Quoted: 5238 Post(s)
Liked: 5492
^^^ It's unlikely you would see the issue with that setup. I've been running this setup for months with no issues, using #10 HDfury setting for UHD/SDR/BT2020

UB900->HDFury->RS600
UB900 (audio) -> 7200WA
post #16097 of 31987 Old 10-30-2016, 01:41 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 66 Post(s)
Liked: 35
Quote:
Originally Posted by VideoGrabber View Post
It's hard to imagine what could be causing behavior such as what's being described. The fact that it is being reported to have occurred on more than one unit is concerning. Also it's not bulb-related, which would normally be the first suspect.

If it were happening to me, I'd try to isolate the source of the gamma shift. I'd start by eliminating the potential candidate of defective NV-ParameterMemory storage. I.e., pull out an image of the gamma Cal data after things have been set up properly. Later, when this large drift is encountered, rather than performing another Cal, instead pull out the current data again. Compare them, to make sure that they are still the same (they should be, but may not if there's a 'data leak'). That will either cross it off the list, or identify the cause.

That would also answer the question of whether one could continue to compensate for the problem. If it is an actual drift (not just an apparent one), then by compensating more and more for it, eventually one will run out of range.
How can the gamma Cal data be fetched?
Another X7000 has been reported yesterday with a Gamma of 1,87 (was 2,2 at the beginning), 7 month old and 40 hours of usage...
post #16098 of 31987 Old 10-30-2016, 02:04 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 980 Post(s)
Liked: 993
Quote:
Originally Posted by Javs View Post
The internal panel refresh rate is 96hz IIRC.

If you feed the projector 24hz it will display 24hz perfectly, it will do it in multiples of 24, so it will show each frame 4 times to fill the 96hz refresh rate internally. You should not notice any of this happening though.

Not sure how it works with 60p to be honest given the 96hz panel rate.
It's my understanding that the DILA panels can operate at up to 120Hz. When fed a 30Hz or 60Hz signal they will display in native 1080p mode at 120Hz when eShift is turned off and when turned on each 4K-lite frame is displayed 60 times per second with 120 total 1080p sub-frames per second. With 24 Hz inputs and with eShift turned on, there will be 96 total 1080p sub-frames per second, or 48 4K-lite frames per second displayed.

Ron Jones
Blog + Reviews + Articles: projectorreviews.com
post #16099 of 31987 Old 10-30-2016, 02:18 AM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 122 Post(s)
Liked: 14
Thank you very much zombie.
post #16100 of 31987 Old 10-30-2016, 08:11 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 14 Post(s)
Quoted: 1639 Post(s)
Liked: 499
Jvc x750 question

Hi folks...

I'm thinking of buying the x750, I currently have the x500 (previous gen). With my x500 i use an Hdfury integral with the 4k Philips Blu Ray player to give me bt2020 x-v color on my x500...I "think" the x-v color means the x500 is using WCG as opposed to YUV color, correct me if I'm wrong...question, with the x750 will I still need the Hdfury integral? The rest of my chain is hdcp 2.2 compliant...I see others on here with a 2.2 chain using the integral perhaps to strip out HDR? Will I still require the integral? Why? Thanks folks...
post #16101 of 31987 Old 10-30-2016, 08:18 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike Garrett View Post
I have sent JVC a link to this post, but it is starting to sound like the problem may not be the JVC. keep us updated.
@Mike Garrett Most definitely there is a problem with the JVC - because it is the thing that locks up and cannot recover. Now, the issue may not be *triggered* by the JVC, but regardless of what triggers it - since the JVC locks up and cannot recover no matter what (can't power cycle any other device, can't unplug/replug cables, can't reset anything other than the JVC to fix it), that is a serious flaw that they need to fix.

I could understand if it lost sync due to some cable or some other issue. But the fact that it goes off the deep-end and cannot recover without power cycling it means the JVC has a flaw which needs to be fixed. Now maybe, just maybe we can figure out what conditions cause it and avoid those - just as long as those conditions to not involve sacrificing any quality of signal (for example, if the solution is to not run the Panasonic at 4:4:4 that is not acceptable since it does a better job converting 4:2:0 that's on the disc) - but that doesn't change the fact that the JVC has a problem. Likewise after I posted this other AVS members have came forward to say they have had the same exact lockup, by viewing my video and confirming it did the same exact thing for them.

Here is where Claw says he had the same issue without an Integral in the path and with a direct HDMI cable between his cable box and the RS500 - that's about as clean of a setup as you can get:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Claw
As mentioned earlier I was able to cause this same unrecoverable sync loss with a Directv C61K connected directly to the RS500 without an Integral in the path. It would occur when switching between 4K60 and 1080i channels.
Here are a few links to those, and if you read back through all the posts here in the past 48 you will see them:

https://www.avsforum.com/forum/24-dig...l#post47810273
https://www.avsforum.com/forum/24-dig...l#post47804473
https://www.avsforum.com/forum/24-dig...l#post47808825

If JVC cannot prevent its projector from losing sync due to external factors, then they need to at least add some logic that can detect when it is locked up and break itself out of the lockup. Or add some sort of remote control sequence that would tell it to reset its HDMI / video processing. Powering the unit off, waiting for the cool down period and turning it back on is not a viable solution for something that happens more than once in a blue moon.

Can you please also send JVC a link to this post? Thank you.
VideoGrabber likes this.

Last edited by lovingdvd; 10-30-2016 at 08:21 AM.
post #16102 of 31987 Old 10-30-2016, 08:43 AM

Quote:
I hear what you're sayin' but getting JVC to issue a fix at this point could be a pipe dream (in all my years owning 5 diff versions I've not seen any FW updates this late into the year), not saying impossible but we should try to fix your issue if at all possible, with what you have now IMO (at least rule out each piece in the chain).

How about changing the 444 as CJ suggested and try to reproduce again. I would think sending 12bit that long is right at the cusp this cable can support (the fact this is even working for you at more than 24p surprises me!). Any way to eliminate the fiber by moving the PJ closer as a temp test (in addition to the 444->422/420 test)?
I agree that if we can find a way to avoid triggering this flaw in the JVC then all the better. That doesn't change the fact that they need to fix it tho. That said I won't settle for any solution that results in a lower quality picture or signal. For instance 4:4:4 coming from the Panasonic is better than sending 4:2:2 to it and having the JVC convert it internally to 4:4:4. My first cable couldn't do 4:2:2 out of the UB900 but my fiber cable does. I spent a lot of money on this cable and I'm not about to dumb-down my signal to work around this JVC bug.

Quote:
Originally Posted by R Harkness View Post
Wait...so you've got a a 50 foot cable that is working to send UHD to the JVC? I've been waiting on confirmation of such a beast because I have a 45 foot run to the JVC (and an unopened Panny UB900). I remember checking in to the Celerity but can't find a price. How much was your 50 foot cable if you don't mind my asking?

Unfortunately it's a complete bummer to have the news of a working 50 foot cable for UHD accompanied by technical problems with the same set up I'd want to use it for (Panny UHD to JVC).

Sigh...
Yes indeed. I wouldn't let this issue dissuade you from getting the cable. Others told me about it who are using it with great success and it clearly is allowing me to do 4:4:4 whereas another "4k certified" cable did not.

Quote:
Originally Posted by HTPCat View Post
What about placing the integral before the marantz? I thought some were doing this to avoid some issues with syncing when using panny, but i could be wrong.
Can't for two reasons. There is a known issue that Fury is working on which requires it to come after a Marantz receiver, and also I want it after the Marantz because I want to strip HDR from other sources too like Amazon Video and Netflix coming from a Roku or other media streamers.

Quote:
Originally Posted by zombie10k View Post
@lovingdvd - maybe swap out the 6 foot fusion 4K cable for the certified cables from HDfury. I'm using a pair of the 3 foot fusion cables and haven't had any specific issues with them. perhaps the longer lengths are problematic.

UB900->HDFury->RS600
UB900 (audio) -> 7200WA
Yes - yesterday I ordered the 4 pack of HDMI 6' cables from HD Fury. I will replace both my 6' cables (the one that goes from UB900 to the Marantz and the one that goes from the Marantz to the Integral input) with these new ones. I am quite certain the issue is not with the fiber cable. That's the whole point of the fiber that it can carry full bandwidth over great distances and 50' is chump-change for fiber. I think we are going to see cooper cables of any significant length go bye-bye over the coming years as it seems we are reaching the limits at what copper can reliably do. I assume the new HDMI cables will be here around the end of this week. It will be interesting to see whether the issue goes away with those.
post #16103 of 31987 Old 10-30-2016, 08:55 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 28 Post(s)
Quoted: 2284 Post(s)
Liked: 1208
Quote:
Originally Posted by VideoGrabber View Post
In addition to enhanced contrast, another contributing factor can be lens quality. A sharper lens will expose grain more than a softer one will. As will greater image brightness. And of course the type and level of NR processing will have a major impact as well.

If the grain visibility that's bothersome to roxiedog isn't something that can be tamed by the internal processing on the JVC (though I thought I had read that Craig was able to come pretty close to matching the Sony image?), perhaps an external processor like a Lumagen could achieve a result closer to his preference, while allowing him to continue to enjoy the other positive qualities of the JVC that he does like.
I found that you can use the JVC processing to minimize video noise and still get a sharp-looking picture. However, that same processing causes smearing/blurring in motion handling.
post #16104 of 31987 Old 10-30-2016, 08:57 AM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 341 Post(s)
Liked: 253
Just got the 750 and I'm loving it! I watched my first ultra hd blu ray last night (Xmen apocalypse) and was blown away by the picture and sound. I'm using the bt2020 profile and HDR settings from JVC and I think it looks great.

I have noticed that the Proj info always says "HDR yes" even when I'm not watching a 4K hdr blu ray (like when watching a regular blu ray). Does everyone else's do this too?

Thanks!

JVC RS2000
Anthem mrx1120//Lumagen Radiance Pro
Klipsch Ref series 7.2.4 setup
Panasonic UB820 //Xbox one X //PS4 Pro // Apple 4k TV
Stewart Filmscreen 135" Cima Neve
post #16105 of 31987 Old 10-30-2016, 09:18 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jbrinegar View Post
Just got the 750 and I'm loving it! I watched my first ultra hd blu ray last night (Xmen apocalypse) and was blown away by the picture and sound. I'm using the bt2020 profile and HDR settings from JVC and I think it looks great.

I have noticed that the Proj info always says "HDR yes" even when I'm not watching a 4K hdr blu ray (like when watching a regular blu ray). Does everyone else's do this too?

Thanks!
Never for me. Does your PJ also default to Gamma D when watching non-UHD blu rays?
Dave Vaughn likes this.
post #16106 of 31987 Old 10-30-2016, 10:25 AM

Mentioned: 186 Post(s)
Quoted: 3755 Post(s)
Liked: 6405
Why do you think that 4:4:4 to the JVC is better than 4:2:2? Other than it is a higher number?
post #16107 of 31987 Old 10-30-2016, 11:10 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 14 Post(s)
Quoted: 1639 Post(s)
Liked: 499
Quote:
Originally Posted by asharma View Post
Hi folks...

I'm thinking of buying the x750, I currently have the x500 (previous gen). With my x500 i use an Hdfury integral with the 4k Philips Blu Ray player to give me bt2020 x-v color on my x500...I "think" the x-v color means the x500 is using WCG as opposed to YUV color, correct me if I'm wrong...question, with the x750 will I still need the Hdfury integral? The rest of my chain is hdcp 2.2 compliant...I see others on here with a 2.2 chain using the integral perhaps to strip out HDR? Will I still require the integral? Why? Thanks folks...
Anyone? Looking for input...thanks folks
post #16108 of 31987 Old 10-30-2016, 11:34 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by zombie10k View Post
your room looks great, the sound must be remarkable to experience in person. I'm working on setting up a pair of 18"s now and likely going for 4.

the UB900 + HDfury will provide that today for UHD/SDR/BT2020 set / forget. Did you buy the JVC already or waiting to sell the 600?

So... speaking of rooms looking great etc... and this is WAY O.T. but WAY too cool for me not to share with my bruthas... but if any of you are looking for some Cool metal signs for your rooms I found this HT signs thread which show you how to download your fav images from member @meyer64 , then use Walgreen's metal photo print service to produce these signs below (and get 50% off using 'HALFOFFDEAL' at checkout thru Nov. 2nd!). Even with the high shipping costs I was able to get 3 8x10 & 2 5x7 signs for $75!

Here's the photo of how they look...

Kevin

Last edited by krichter1; 10-30-2016 at 11:40 AM.
post #16109 of 31987 Old 10-30-2016, 11:45 AM

Mentioned: 232 Post(s)
Quoted: 11825 Post(s)
Liked: 9357
Send a message via Skype™ to Mike Garrett
Quote:
@Mike Garrett Most definitely there is a problem with the JVC - because it is the thing that locks up and cannot recover. Now, the issue may not be *triggered* by the JVC, but regardless of what triggers it - since the JVC locks up and cannot recover no matter what (can't power cycle any other device, can't unplug/replug cables, can't reset anything other than the JVC to fix it), that is a serious flaw that they need to fix.

I could understand if it lost sync due to some cable or some other issue. But the fact that it goes off the deep-end and cannot recover without power cycling it means the JVC has a flaw which needs to be fixed. Now maybe, just maybe we can figure out what conditions cause it and avoid those - just as long as those conditions to not involve sacrificing any quality of signal (for example, if the solution is to not run the Panasonic at 4:4:4 that is not acceptable since it does a better job converting 4:2:0 that's on the disc) - but that doesn't change the fact that the JVC has a problem. Likewise after I posted this other AVS members have came forward to say they have had the same exact lockup, by viewing my video and confirming it did the same exact thing for them.

Here is where Claw says he had the same issue without an Integral in the path and with a direct HDMI cable between his cable box and the RS500 - that's about as clean of a setup as you can get:

Here are a few links to those, and if you read back through all the posts here in the past 48 you will see them:

https://www.avsforum.com/forum/24-dig...l#post47810273
https://www.avsforum.com/forum/24-dig...l#post47804473
https://www.avsforum.com/forum/24-dig...l#post47808825

If JVC cannot prevent its projector from losing sync due to external factors, then they need to at least add some logic that can detect when it is locked up and break itself out of the lockup. Or add some sort of remote control sequence that would tell it to reset its HDMI / video processing. Powering the unit off, waiting for the cool down period and turning it back on is not a viable solution for something that happens more than once in a blue moon.

Can you please also send JVC a link to this post? Thank you.

Got an answer back from JVC on a Sunday.How is that for service. Actually got it earlier, but I was on my way out the door for a run. First things first. Like I thought an incorrect handshake can create an unrecoverable situation for a projector or any other device. So just because the projector can't recover on it's own, does not indicate a problem with the projector. With that said, JVC thinks with enough time, you will probably have the same problem, without the HD Fury in the chain and your projector needs to be serviced. I will get with you Monday, after a have a couple conversations regarding your projector.

Last edited by Mike Garrett; 10-30-2016 at 04:12 PM.
post #16110 of 31987 Old 10-30-2016, 12:48 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kris Deering View Post
Why do you think that 4:4:4 to the JVC is better than 4:2:2? Other than it is a higher number?
Hi, Kris. My limited understanding of this is that at 4:2:2 that the two chroma portions are sampled at half the rate of luma and the horizontal chroma resolution is split in half. It does reduce the bandwidth of an uncompressed video signal by one-third, but can have some visible diminution of image quality through a large enough display.

To my JVC, using my UB900 set to 4:4:4 at 12 bit presents a denser, richer-looking image to my eyes than does viewing set to 4:2:2. I understand that there's some up-sampling/interpolation going on, but it just looks better to me.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply Digital Hi-End Projectors - $3,000+ USD MSRP

Tags
jvc-rs500u synch/display issue? , RS600

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page