Official JVC RS600 / RS500 (X950R / X750R - X9000 / X7000) Owners Thread - Page 655 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 
 84691Likes

post #19621 of 31979 Old 01-14-2017, 06:50 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 36 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 932 Post(s)
Liked: 271
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tom Bley View Post
Harrisu, why not trust your own eyes/ears and stop worrying about what others think? Your the person that is going to be viewing in your theater. Your always going to find people that shoot down the idea of a micro-perf screen. I had seen a couple newer recent home theaters using micro-perf screens and could not believe it. I thought it was old school until I ordered samples to see what it was about, now I know. Seen it with my own eyes. Even Craig Peer has seen a customers Micro-perf screen recently when he went to install a RS-500 in his home.
You do make very valid point of trusting your own eyes. I agree. But I do take others input and then see if it makes it better (to my eyes). Mirco-perf did make it better but it also had some issues for me and I have been trying different things (distance/angle....) to see if I can get rid of all the artifacts. If you and Craig have had great experience with mico-perf then its very assuring. Now that perf is in, which perf did you/Craig see (company) that was very assuring? Please feel free to email me if you think its not appropriate to mention the names for any reason on the forum.

Much appreciated.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #19622 of 31979 Old 01-14-2017, 06:58 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 909 Post(s)
Liked: 862
Quote:
Originally Posted by harrisu View Post
You do make very valid point of trusting your own eyes. I agree. But I do take others input and then see if it makes it better (to my eyes). Mirco-perf did make it better but it also had some issues for me and I have been trying different things (distance/angle....) to see if I can get rid of all the artifacts. If you and Craig have had great experience with mico-perf then its very assuring. Now that perf is in, which perf did you/Craig see (company) that was very assuring? Please feel free to email me if you think its not appropriate to mention the names for any reason on the forum.

Much appreciated.
It's in Craigs quote what screen and I already told you the material I liked in the screen forum, in your thread.
post #19623 of 31979 Old 01-14-2017, 08:48 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 28 Post(s)
Quoted: 2203 Post(s)
Liked: 766
Quote:
Originally Posted by Javs View Post
No NGU very High only.

Don't underestimate some mild JVC sharpening. What you are suggesting would be the same as turning off RC on a Sony since you already use sharpening.

Nothing wrong with it.
I will try with Enhance 2 as well and see what i think. I already use my Lumagen Pro with Darbee at +35%.
Are you using Darbee with Enhance?
is anyone else using both?

Murray Thompson
X Owner RapalloAV
Absolutly no connection with RapalloNZ
CinemascopE Home Cinema Build & 2014 rebuild, plus new LED ceiling install Christmas 2018
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #19624 of 31979 Old 01-14-2017, 08:52 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 28 Post(s)
Quoted: 2203 Post(s)
Liked: 766
Quote:
Even Craig Peer has seen a customers Micro-perf screen recently when he went to install a RS-500 in his home.
I dont think one can sit as close to a Micro- Perf screen as they can to a woven screen can they?
Unless some are different with smaller holes...

Murray Thompson
X Owner RapalloAV
Absolutly no connection with RapalloNZ
CinemascopE Home Cinema Build & 2014 rebuild, plus new LED ceiling install Christmas 2018
post #19625 of 31979 Old 01-14-2017, 10:26 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quoted: 635 Post(s)
Liked: 829
Received and hooked up my Oppo 203 from AVS yesterday. Also, bought RM's UHD files and saved pertinent ones to USB drive. Loaded beta firmware in Oppo, did and factory reset, and set Contrast and Brightness using the test clips. Also, set the JVC using CJ's settings, but ended up with the following for HDR:

RS500 Settings:
High Lamp
Iris: Manual -5
MPC: 2/0/0/0
CMD: Off
Motion: Low
Gamma D: Picture Tone: +12 Dark Level: +2 Bright Level: +7
BT.2020 Color Profile
Clear Black: Off
Contrast: 10
Brightness: 2

Oppo:
4K24 4:2:2 BT.2020 12-bit HDR
Contrast: +4
Brightness: +3

Watched "X-Men Apocalypse" and half of "Crouching Tiger, Hidden Dragon" in Low Lamp. Changed to High Lamp for the second half as it needed a little more punch. I have over 600 hours on my lamp, but run low lamp in SDR 709, so am favoring high lamp for now. I have to say that HDR looked very good and will keep the Oppo, especially knowing that their CS is fantastic and more firmware updates will be coming to get the most out of their newest player. I relegated my Samsung to the family room last week. It did a good job with "Independence Day: Resurgence" on my LG OLED. I have the CR/BR tweaked and dialed down Red one notch.

Next step is to play with HDR --> SR BT.2020 on the Oppo & JVC.

...Steve
"Opinions are like orgasms… mine matters most and I really don’t care if you have one or not." ;)

My HT gear
post #19626 of 31979 Old 01-15-2017, 06:12 AM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 78 Post(s)
Liked: 32
Quote:
Originally Posted by lgreis View Post
Thats exactly IT... i try the 007 intro and the halo comes on the oposite direction, what is hapening is that this internal reflections are killing the contrast and the ansi contrast when there is a bright image. And dont go way with the iris open... i will have to change the machine for a new one

Enviado do meu GT-I9505 através de Tapatalk
Just for share with the comunity, my x7000 went back to JVC and was tested and had a malfuntion, seems like all of the others that they have in stock did the same. In this regard JVC where very professional and they will give me a brand new x7500(x770) next week.... Nice

post #19627 of 31979 Old 01-15-2017, 06:15 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Quoted: 1624 Post(s)
Liked: 498
Quote:
Originally Posted by lgreis View Post
Just for share with the comunity, my x7000 went back to JVC and was tested and had a malfuntion, seems like all of the others that they have in stock did the same. In this regard JVC where very professional and they will give me a brand new x7500(x770) next week.... Nice

Very nice! Is the shipping also covered both ways? Thanks

Video:JVC N7 Sony 85” 900F Sony 55” 900F
Audio: Paradigm Prestige 95, 55C, 15b Dual JL Audio D110
Receiver/Amp: Anthem 1120, Emotiva XPA-5 Gen 2
Source: Panasonic UB820
Triple black velvet bat cave
post #19628 of 31979 Old 01-15-2017, 06:44 AM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 78 Post(s)
Liked: 32
Quote:
Originally Posted by asharma View Post
Very nice! Is the shipping also covered both ways? Thanks
I resolved personaly with the JVC representative in my country (portugal), i went to them, show the malfuntion that the x7000 has, they send it to the headquarters of JVC in Spain and the tecnitians tested also, maybe was an malfuntion of the woolle lote, i dont know. I will pick the new x7500 in the salesman, they will not ship to my house
post #19629 of 31979 Old 01-15-2017, 06:46 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 36 Post(s)
Quoted: 932 Post(s)
Liked: 271
Quote:
Originally Posted by RapalloAV View Post
I dont think one can sit as close to a Micro- Perf screen as they can to a woven screen can they?
I can confirm that. When I use weave, I can sit without ANY issue at 10' or even closer with my 130" 2.40 screen. With Micro-perf, I moved to ~ 11'. Even though I don't see it all the time, it does become visible on a bright scene. Also for some reason, it comes visible with Sky scenes (Oblivion is a good example). I tested Micro-perf with a 1.3 gain.
post #19630 of 31979 Old 01-15-2017, 07:26 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 24 Post(s)
Quoted: 689 Post(s)
Liked: 583
Quote:
Originally Posted by stevenjw View Post
Received and hooked up my Oppo 203 from AVS yesterday. Also, bought RM's UHD files and saved pertinent ones to USB drive. Loaded beta firmware in Oppo, did and factory reset, and set Contrast and Brightness using the test clips. Also, set the JVC using CJ's settings, but ended up with the following for HDR:

RS500 Settings:
High Lamp
BT.2020 Color Profile
I'm about to go back to my room and try to get HDR looking right. Been a busy weekend and i finally have more time to experiment.

I already have my settings close to yours but when I switched to gamma D it got real dark and the colors look-- well muted and dull and crushed.

Two things I have been thinking about in anticipation of trying to fix things....

1. After importing JVCs BT.2020 color profile using their AutoCal software... I never rebooted the projector. Would that cause HDR material not to display correctly?

2. What HDMI input are you using the on the JVC? I'm currently using Input 1, but remember a while back people switching to HDMI input 2 as well as possibly changing the Input 2 EDID from A to something else?

JVC RS600 ¤ 130" Wide Seymour XD 2.35:1
Denon x4200 ¤ Onkyo M5010 ¤ iNuke 3000 ¤ 7.2.2
HTPC GTX1080 + MadVR is my master now ¤ Zidoo X8
post #19631 of 31979 Old 01-15-2017, 08:45 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
Quoted: 2096 Post(s)
Liked: 2365
Quote:
Originally Posted by Javs View Post
The greater majority of the Revenant was shot on the Arri 65.

3.4k on the Alexa with anamorphic lenses is, I believe, actually 4k since they use the full open gate in the camera and then de squeeze the image in post, the sensors real horizontal resolution is 3.4k, so after desqueeze must be more than that. Or I could be wrong

Its close enough, whats 400pix? in that case you are technically correct but certainly splitting hairs since the DI is 4K

Was just reporting the science of it my AVS brutha (hairs not withstanding)!

Kevin

You only live once, but if you live it right, once is enough.
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

==> Our 4K/3D Immersive Theater
post #19632 of 31979 Old 01-15-2017, 09:37 AM
AVS Forum Addicted Member

Mentioned: 18 Post(s)
Quoted: 3410 Post(s)
Liked: 1860
Quote:
The reason you were quoted was because Craig Peer had quoted you. You are entitled to your opinion.
As are you.

I told harrisu to give Mike Garrett a call, as he has the projector and various screens.
Mike Garrett likes this.

Having fun playing the new mobile game Volley Village
post #19633 of 31979 Old 01-15-2017, 09:53 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
Quoted: 2096 Post(s)
Liked: 2365
Quote:

RS500 Settings:
High Lamp
BT.2020 Color Profile

Oppo:
4K24 4:2:2 BT.2020 12-bit HDR
Contrast: +4
Brightness: +3

Watched "X-Men Apocalypse" and half of "Crouching Tiger, Hidden Dragon" in Low Lamp. Changed to High Lamp for the second half as it needed a little more punch. I have over 600 hours on my lamp, but run low lamp in SDR 709, so am favoring high lamp for now. I have to say that HDR looked very good and will keep the Oppo, especially knowing that their CS is fantastic and more firmware updates will be coming to get the most out of their newest player. I relegated my Samsung to the family room last week. It did a good job with "Independence Day: Resurgence" on my LG OLED. I have the CR/BR tweaked and dialed down Red one notch.

Next step is to play with HDR --> SR BT.2020 on the Oppo & JVC.

I agree on the Oppo Steve (vs the Panny), and what ultimately had me pack up the Panny for return to BBuy (well today).

That being said has anyone watched The Accountant & Deep Water Horizon in HDR? They are both WB titles (like Creed & Heart of the Sea), and I found them to look pretty poor compared to other recent titles. I'll have to rewatch in SDR and see if that improves things (FWIW I thought The Accountant was one pf the best movies I've seen in a while).
stevenjw likes this.

Kevin

You only live once, but if you live it right, once is enough.
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

==> Our 4K/3D Immersive Theater
post #19634 of 31979 Old 01-15-2017, 10:02 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Don't own any of these as they are all FAKE 4K.

WB underwhelms again.

...Steve
"Opinions are like orgasms… mine matters most and I really don’t care if you have one or not." ;)

My HT gear
post #19635 of 31979 Old 01-15-2017, 10:18 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by sonichart View Post
I'm about to go back to my room and try to get HDR looking right. Been a busy weekend and i finally have more time to experiment.

I already have my settings close to yours but when I switched to gamma D it got real dark and the colors look-- well muted and dull and crushed.

Two things I have been thinking about in anticipation of trying to fix things....

1. After importing JVCs BT.2020 color profile using their AutoCal software... I never rebooted the projector. Would that cause HDR material not to display correctly?

2. What HDMI input are you using the on the JVC? I'm currently using Input 1, but remember a while back people switching to HDMI input 2 as well as possibly changing the Input 2 EDID from A to something else?
If your BDs look good after an AutoCal, then it worked. I'm guessing that you've power cycled your projector. I haven't done an autocal in a while, so forget the process or even how to "reboot" the projector. I use HDMI 1. Never touched HDMI 2 EDID setting or use it.

If you set Gamma D white to 12/2/7 and follow the rest of the settings for the JVC and Oppo, I'm at a loss as to why it looks dark, especially if you go with High lamp. What UHD title are you looking at? After making these settings, how does the Oppo menu look? It should be bright, but the colors off due to Gamma D. I'd double check everything again to make sure your settings are correct. I don't have any black crush or issues with the color. They looked better than BD to me, as they should with WCG. About the only thing I miss with UHD is the DI's full fade to black and that's mostly because I have an early model with bright corners. I'll probably get it sent in for repairs under warranty for that and the troublesome horizontal shift.

Hope you get your UHD PQ issues resolved.

...Steve

My HT gear
post #19636 of 31979 Old 01-15-2017, 10:46 AM

Mentioned: 159 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 5235 Post(s)
Liked: 5486
Quote:

Watched "X-Men Apocalypse" and half of "Crouching Tiger, Hidden Dragon" in Low Lamp.
the best part of the CTHD UHD is the ATMOS track. especially the classic fight scenes, watch out for jade fox.

get those ceiling speakers installed when you can. mine was a major pain but it's definitely worth it.
claw, stevenjw and Mike Garrett like this.
post #19637 of 31979 Old 01-15-2017, 11:15 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Yeah, but I'm nearly 62 and probably not going to retire in this big house and area. Leaning more to a final move/house and designing one last home theater from scratch. Of course, moving is such a big undertaking that I've also been looking into a used Amp on eBay, DefTech ceiling speakers, and external channel options for running the wires with minimal dry-wall changes.

As for CTHD, I'm not a big fan of having to read sub-titles while also watching a movie. As such, I prefer good dubs and the English dub was DTS-MA and not ATMOS, which was only on the original Chinese. Lossless 7.1 still sounds damn good in my theater. However, any new theater will be sound-proofed and geared towards bass that doesn't wake the Mrs. during late night viewing. Anything in the ceilings will also need to be isolated for the same reason.
krichter1 likes this.

...Steve

My HT gear
post #19638 of 31979 Old 01-15-2017, 11:17 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 24 Post(s)
Quoted: 689 Post(s)
Liked: 583
Quote:
If your BDs look good after an AutoCal, then it worked. I'm guessing that you've power cycled your projector. I haven't done an autocal in a while, so forget the process or even how to "reboot" the projector. I use HDMI 1. Never touched HDMI 2 EDID setting or use it.

If you set Gamma D white to 12/2/7 and follow the rest of the settings for the JVC and Oppo, I'm at a loss as to why it looks dark, especially if you go with High lamp. What UHD title are you looking at? After making these settings, how does the Oppo menu look? It should be bright, but the colors off due to Gamma D. I'd double check everything again to make sure your settings are correct. I don't have any black crush or issues with the color. They looked better than BD to me, as they should with WCG. About the only thing I miss with UHD is the DI's full fade to black and that's mostly because I have an early model with bright corners. I'll probably get it sent in for repairs under warranty for that and the troublesome horizontal shift.

Hope you get your UHD PQ issues resolved.
That's the best way to describe my Oppo menu.. BRIGHT. All I meant by rebooting the projector was to power-cycle it. Also I'm not brave enough (yet) to try using the autocal software for anything other than importing the JVC BT.2020 color profile. Perhaps one day, but I really just want to set it and forget it and that's where having a pro calibration comes into play.

As of right now I think I've got UHD HDR looking pretty decent with the Oppo. I tested with the Martian Ext. Edition. I ripped the BR to my HTPC and upscaled to 4K with MadVR. Then flipped to the Oppo. The HDR image is just slightly darker overall than the BR, but nothing I would consider a night/day different. No doubt that would change with a calibration. I could, however, notice a very slightly sharper image with the UHD compared to my upscaled BR.

I guess I'll keep lurking for tips on how to further improve the HDR image or try out the Strip Metadata function on the Oppo once its perfect -- but for now this will have to do.

Thanks again for the reply.

JVC RS600 ¤ 130" Wide Seymour XD 2.35:1
Denon x4200 ¤ Onkyo M5010 ¤ iNuke 3000 ¤ 7.2.2
HTPC GTX1080 + MadVR is my master now ¤ Zidoo X8
post #19639 of 31979 Old 01-15-2017, 01:00 PM

Mentioned: 232 Post(s)
Quoted: 11809 Post(s)
Liked: 9345
Send a message via Skype™ to Mike Garrett
Quote:
Originally Posted by RapalloAV View Post
Depends on the weave, but with the good ones, yes, you can sit closer.
post #19640 of 31979 Old 01-15-2017, 02:21 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 77 Post(s)
Quoted: 2214 Post(s)
Liked: 2068
Quote:
Originally Posted by sonichart View Post
That's the best way to describe my Oppo menu.. BRIGHT.
Any changes to brightness and contrast you make in the Oppo for HDR display on the JVC will affect the Oppo Menu screen as well.

Only way to avoid that is to make all the changes in the JVC and not the Oppo. Or as I did, use the 3 picture modes on the Oppo; one for REC709, one for BT.2020 SDR, and one for HDR. And when on the Oppo menu always choose the mode for REC709.

CJ
JVC RS500|LG B7A OLED|Denon X6400H/X4200W|Panasonic UB820|Two Oppo 203|Samsung K8500|Apple TV 4K|HDfury Vertex/Linker/Integral
post #19641 of 31979 Old 01-15-2017, 02:59 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 89 Post(s)
Quoted: 4561 Post(s)
Liked: 3322
I have given up trying to get an acceptable picture in either 4K OR even SDR/WCG (using the new Oppo). For as much as I know about audio, I know next to nothing (or less) about video. I have tried using the plethora of settings provided by other users for each of the two products but even at that, when I get an acceptable picture (NOT great) for one 4K movie, it sucks on another one. I had posted asking for one person who has both pieces (RS500/600 and Oppo) to list all of their RS500/600 settings along with their all of their Oppo settings, but have not yet seen a response. I would at least be willing to give that a whirl. At this point, even settings on both pieces for SDR/WCG would be better than what I have seen so far.

If I chose to just send the signal from the Oppo to the RS500 without HDR, can I use the same settings in the RS500 I use for regular BluRays?

I have a tentative scheduled appointment with ChadB next month but if the Oppo does not have all of the wrinkles ironed out by the time my appointment is scheduled, I may delay until such time as they have it figured out. Incredibly frustrating.

RANT OVER !! Sorry!!

The good news? The picture on regular BluRay is absolutely stunning.
post #19642 of 31979 Old 01-15-2017, 03:08 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quoted: 1805 Post(s)
Liked: 1228
Quote:
Originally Posted by audioguy View Post
I have given up trying to get an acceptable picture in either 4K OR even SDR/WCG (using the new Oppo). For as much as I know about audio, I know next to nothing (or less) about video. I have tried using the plethora of settings provided by other users for each of the two products but even at that, when I get an acceptable picture (NOT great) for one 4K movie, it sucks on another one. I had posted asking for one person who has both pieces (RS500/600 and Oppo) to list all of their RS500/600 settings along with their all of their Oppo settings, but have not yet seen a response. I would at least be willing to give that a whirl. At this point, even settings on both pieces for SDR/WCG would be better than what I have seen so far.

If I chose to just send the signal from the Oppo to the RS500 without HDR, can I use the same settings in the RS500 I use for regular BluRays?

I have a tentative scheduled appointment with ChadB next month but if the Oppo does not have all of the wrinkles ironed out by the time my appointment is scheduled, I may delay until such time as they have it figured out. Incredibly frustrating.

RANT OVER !! Sorry!!

i can tell you this much ..out of box not even touching a setting on the pana uhd player it looks better than the oppo for uhd HDR...i had to work hard with the oppo to get looking pretty decent. and it looks good no question. the pana with a bit of setup and calibration looks sensational ! blu-ray on the oppo and pana both look good

I for one wouldnt be game to have the system calibrated off the back of an oppo...but Chad with his powers might have other thoughts. maybe worth speaking with him in the interim. I dont know him from a bar of soap but I find these calibrator guys a wealth of knowledge

"Technology is a drug. We can't get enough of it."

Welcome to my lounge room :)
post #19643 of 31979 Old 01-15-2017, 03:19 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by alebonau View Post
I for one wouldnt be game to have the system calibrated off the back of an oppo
If Oppo has not at least addressed most of the current crop of well known issues prior to my appointment with ChadB, I will not have it calibrated.
Ted99 likes this.
post #19644 of 31979 Old 01-15-2017, 03:42 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Seegs108 View Post
Yes, I have the Panasonic but I won't be using it for 3D movies. All of those I'll be watching on my PC as they're all loaded on there already and I can play them back faster and without any menu's this way. Currently I'm only using the UB900 for UHD Blu-ray discs and once there's a quality way to play them back on my PC I'll be ditching the UB900 (most likely). As someone else points out, there's a setting on my JVC if I wanted to adjust the parallax. I've found no need to do such things at my screen size and seated distance. It's set up "as the director intended" if you will.
thanks seegs, yeah the pc I imagine doesnt have such setting either. no pc involved here unfortunately and dumped my streaming setup/media player a while back (dunehd) and never did 3D through one of them to comment.

post #19645 of 31979 Old 01-15-2017, 03:45 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by woofer View Post
You can do the required adjustment if required on the JVC...
wonder if this is something anyone else has given a go ? I've only ever set this on the player as standard function. wonder if works the same as what the player does ?

Quote:
Originally Posted by alebonau View Post

picked up one of these ...reluctant purchase ! but with 30 days with the oppo and current state of play, I thought it was time...

setup and got going pretty straight forward.

no 1 thing once firmware updated and up and going ... is the main menu is 1080p 50 (4:4:4 12bit)? gee what a smart idea calling OPPO calling OPPO is there anyone listening .... its not so hard ... see ! a 1080p main menu...wow

I also notice pana to have a switch in the menus so you can select 4k50/60 as on /off... again very smart !!! this pana wont be causing hdmi cable issues for people I can imagine...

One question though for other pana jvc owners....

in every player I have owned in several years I have seen a 3D display setting where you set size of display. eg on the oppo it comes by default at 46" and I have always changed to my actual screen size. similarly with couple of cambridge players before as with sony, denon, pioneer players before that. I've never been sure what the setting does... but there doesnt seem to be his setting in the pana uhd 900 ? unsure of is it a necessary setting ? just wondering what people do without this setting for 3D I imagine there are a few here like 3D and using this combo. eg zombie ?

ps a very brief viewing across disc formats with the pana I can say UHD blu-ray looks better and this is without even messing about with calibration charts etc. just out of box clean clear vibrant and very natural looking pics ! this is with HDR and uhd the shallows. blu-ray cant say if looks better vs the oppo it seems to upscale by default to 4k24 4:4:4 8bit. dvd can most definitely say looks very ordinary via the pana... with all jaggies and such ! it seems to upscale dvd to 1080p50

anyways will spend more time mucking about tonight going through with basic setup and then lets see...
any further takes on this from anyone ? am surprised no one else noticed this missing in the 3D settings in the pana ? perhaps not a lot of love for 3D out there ?

post #19646 of 31979 Old 01-15-2017, 03:49 PM

Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Quoted: 223 Post(s)
Liked: 77
MadVR/JVC Settings

Hey @Javs , I sent you a PM, but figured others could benefit from your response, so decided to post on the thread instead:

What are all of the settings that you are using for MadVR? I read that you are using NGU medium/high across the board within the scaling section of MadVR, and there have been random other settings mentioned sporadically across the thread, but there are still a lot of other settings I am not sure about. Would it be possible to screenshot all of the tabs/subtabs of MadVR and post them? Or perhaps just list them out in the order they appear in MadVR (whichever is easiest for you)?

Also, when using HTPC/MadVR as your video source, which settings are you using on your JVC (the only things I was able to ascertain were that you set Clear Black on "Low" and Enhance at "2")? I see Gamma, Contrast, and Brightness recommendations for SDR under the "My Panasonic UB900 HDR and SDR Settings" within your sig, but I wasn't sure if these applied to HTPC/MadVR as well, nor was I able to find what you use for all of the other settings within the JVC while using MadVR.

Lastly, (and this a question someone else could answer once seeing all the settings) what is the least expensive GPU capable of smoothly running MadVR using your configuration? Was leaning towards the 1060 SC, but wasn't positive it would be enough.

I realize I am asking a lot of questions, and your answers might be littering this thread in various places, but if you have the time, I (and I am sure others) would be very grateful for an all encompassing list of your MadVR/JVC combo settings. Could be signature line worthy

Thank you for your time, and I apologize if I missed a similar setup guide you published elsewhere for the MadVR/JVC combo.
post #19647 of 31979 Old 01-15-2017, 04:04 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 475 Post(s)
Quoted: 6791 Post(s)
Liked: 6418
MY MADVR SETTINGS - UPDATED APRIL 2019 - HDR TO SDR TONE MAPPING BETA SETTINGS ADDED AT THE BOTTOM

Note, for Image up-scaling (Yellow highlighted), NGU might need to be set on HIGH or MEDIUM if your card cannot keep up. This is the biggest killer of performance, all else can pretty safely be left where it is, if your card cant keep up, play with that setting first. Chroma NGU settings can also slightly affect this, I have mine at Medium which I use now - no visible difference from High), and I get ~31ms render times in 10Bit output from MadVR. If the card still runs slow, use Control-J in MadVR to see your render times, you want to make sure you have no dropped frames, and I recommend going no further than a general 32ms max render time, just to ensure there is a little overhead and your card is not just sitting there at 100%.

Basically do whatever you can to make sure NGU is actually what is being used for the algorithms. I like NGU Sharp for Image Upscaling, if you think there is a bit of added noise try NGU Anti-Alias.

I do not use any other enhancements in MadVR at all, none of them are necessary. If I have omitted a MadVR settings page its either because they are all switched off, or left at default/irrelevant.

For the HDR Settings in MadVR, those are going to allow you to use the DI in HDR mode, and negate the need for a Linker device as it will also stop the PJ from Auto Switching to HDR mode, so you will manually need to enable HDR on your projector with these settings if you watch HDR content. I like it this way, gives me total control and enables the DI to function in HDR. No linker needed!

I am able to play perfectly 2160p HDR UHD Bluray rips with these settings.

JVC Settings are correct, Enhance 2, Clear Black Low.

2.3 Gamma.
Contrast -1
Brightness +1

YMMV of course for the above JVC settings, there are no rules.

I run my PC output at 2160p / 23hz / 12Bit to the JVC.

That's it.

I would definitely recommend doing EVERYTHING you can to get a proper 2160p source output to the JVC, don't bother using it in 1080p.

----

TONE MAPPING SETTINGS

You need to be on the latest beta, which means downloading the most recent official build, then downloading the most recent test build in the MadVR thread. It changes almost every day, so these are only for the recent build as of March 2019, but will likely work fine in later builds.

The Min Target / Real Display Nits as it says should be your REAL peak light output if you know it. If you dont know, try 85 first, if its really bright raise it to something like 100 and so on...

At the moment I have dynamic clipping on only 25 because of a bug, but usually it should be on 100, but right now it seems to clip more than it should, so 25 is a good sweet spot alternative to disabling it for now until this is sorted in a later build.

Each of your calibration tabs should look like this:

JVC X9500 (RS620) | 120" 16:9 | Marantz AV7702 MkII | Emotiva XPA-7 | DIY Modular Towers | DIY TPL-150 Surrounds | DIY Atmos | DIY 18" Subs
-
MadVR Settings | UHD Waveform Analysis | Arve Tool Instructions + V3 Javs Curves

Last edited by Javs; 04-17-2019 at 10:22 PM.
post #19648 of 31979 Old 01-15-2017, 04:20 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quoted: 753 Post(s)
Liked: 639
Quote:

RANT OVER !! Sorry!!

There is no doubt Chad will be able to make your setup look amazing in any mode you choose to run (HDR or SDR), but before you cancel your appointment please keep in mind that most guys on here who get "decent" SDR/HDR BT2020 have at least run the JVC autocal with the Spyder 5 probe. That alone makes a YUGE difference.
krichter1 likes this.
post #19649 of 31979 Old 01-15-2017, 04:34 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by atabea View Post
There is no doubt Chad will be able to make your setup look amazing in any mode you choose to run (HDR or SDR), but before you cancel your appointment please keep in mind that most guys on here who get "decent" SDR/HDR BT2020 have at least run the JVC autocal with the Spyder 5 probe. That alone makes a YUGE difference.
How good is "decent"? And how smart do I have to be to make the JVC Autocal program work? And assuming I make that work, are there further settings that must be made on the Oppo?
post #19650 of 31979 Old 01-15-2017, 04:50 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quoted: 753 Post(s)
Liked: 639
Quote:
How good is "decent"? And how smart do I have to be to make the JVC Autocal program work? And assuming I make that work, are there further settings that must be made on the Oppo?
The thing about the JVC autocal is that it actually calibrates Gamma D and that is a bonus in itself. By decent, from what I have observed in my setup, it makes a notable difference in HDR (in conjunction with Javs' and Manni's settings for PT, DL and BL). In fact, it improves every other mode as well (Rec 709, SDR BT2020 etc.). With all the help around here I am sure you will be just fine if you decide to give it a go.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply Digital Hi-End Projectors - $3,000+ USD MSRP

Tags
jvc-rs500u synch/display issue? , RS600

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page