Official JVC RS600 / RS500 (X950R / X750R - X9000 / X7000) Owners Thread - Page 656 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 
 84691Likes
Reply
 
Thread Tools
post #19651 of 31979 Old 01-15-2017, 06:36 PM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
sonichart's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2002
Location: East Dundee, IL
Posts: 1,121
Mentioned: 24 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 689 Post(s)
Liked: 583
Quote:
Originally Posted by Javs View Post
, and I get ~31ms render times in 10Bit output from MadVR. If the card still runs slow, use Control-J in MadVR to see your render times, you want to make sure you have no dropped frames, and I recommend going no further than a general 32ms max render time, just to ensure there is a little overhead and your card is not just sitting there at 100%.
Javs this post is so money -- a million thankyous! Can't wait to try out these settings. I'm pretty sure my cpu/gpu queue sizes are still at the default values.

Question: Do you have everything unchecked under 'trade quality for performance' ?

I've noticed that after watching a movie using madvr, at the end I still wind up with 30+ or so dropped frames (even after ctrl-r reseting the stats at the start of the movie). Not sure if i'm nitpicking that stat or not.

JVC RS600 ¤ 130" Wide Seymour XD 2.35:1
Denon x4200 ¤ Onkyo M5010 ¤ iNuke 3000 ¤ 7.2.2
HTPC GTX1080 + MadVR is my master now ¤ Zidoo X8
sonichart is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #19652 of 31979 Old 01-15-2017, 07:04 PM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
Javs's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2012
Location: Sydney
Posts: 7,849
Mentioned: 475 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 6791 Post(s)
Liked: 6418
Quote:
Originally Posted by sonichart View Post
Javs this post is so money -- a million thankyous! Can't wait to try out these settings. I'm pretty sure my cpu/gpu queue sizes are still at the default values.

Question: Do you have everything unchecked under 'trade quality for performance' ?

I've noticed that after watching a movie using madvr, at the end I still wind up with 30+ or so dropped frames (even after ctrl-r reseting the stats at the start of the movie). Not sure if i'm nitpicking that stat or not.
No, added screen-shot to the end of my last post. If fade-in/fade-out option is not ticked you will drop frames.

JVC X9500 (RS620) | 120" 16:9 | Marantz AV7702 MkII | Emotiva XPA-7 | DIY Modular Towers | DIY TPL-150 Surrounds | DIY Atmos | DIY 18" Subs
-
MadVR Settings | UHD Waveform Analysis | Arve Tool Instructions + V3 Javs Curves
Javs is offline  
post #19653 of 31979 Old 01-15-2017, 08:31 PM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
claw's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2001
Location: L'Etoile du Nord
Posts: 2,825
Mentioned: 77 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2212 Post(s)
Liked: 2067
For those who have the Oppo and a Denon AVR and are getting audio dropouts. For the first couple of days I had no audio issues. Then I noticed I wasn't getting on screen display from my Denon x4200w menu.

On the Denon, I went into Settings...Video...Output Settings...Video Conversion and changed it to ON. With that change I get on screen display for the Denon menu.

Later I encountered my first audio stutter/dropout. And it seemed to occur more and more often until tonight I was completely frustrated with it. I realized that the audio issues started after the Denon setting change.

I changed the Denon video conversion setting back to OFF. I did not have any more audio dropouts for the rest of the evening.

I don't like not having the Denon OSD available. Does anyone know another setting that might get it back?

CJ
JVC RS500|LG B7A OLED|Denon X6400H/X4200W|Panasonic UB820|Two Oppo 203|Samsung K8500|Apple TV 4K|HDfury Vertex/Linker/Integral
claw is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #19654 of 31979 Old 01-15-2017, 08:43 PM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
alebonau's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2006
Location: Land of Contentment :)
Posts: 4,628
Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1805 Post(s)
Liked: 1228
Quote:
Originally Posted by claw View Post
For those who have the Oppo and a Denon AVR and are getting audio dropouts. For the first couple of days I had no audio issues. Then I noticed I wasn't getting on screen display from my Denon x4200w menu.

On the Denon, I went into Settings...Video...Output Settings...Video Conversion and changed it to ON. With that change I get on screen display for the Denon menu.

Later I encountered my first audio stutter/dropout. And it seemed to occur more and more often until tonight I was completely frustrated with it. I realized that the audio issues started after the Denon setting change.

I changed the Denon video conversion setting back to OFF. I did not have any more audio dropouts for the rest of the evening.

I don't like not having the Denon OSD available. Does anyone know another setting that might get it back?
interesting find. I've only ever used the OSD with my marantz which uses same means as the denon.

no there isnt another setting as OSD requires video conversion. audio drop outs are very frustrating with the oppo, it was horrendous with the shallows uhd last time I watched non stop mini drop outs. and what is even more frustrating its random and intermittent. is I never got these the previous time I watched shallows only one drop out at the closing titles. and there have been titles have watched on the oppo all the way through not one drop out. Wiht the countless discs have I have never had audio drop outs with the samsung even with the denons OSD engaged. And so far not one drop out with the panasonic uhd player.

"Technology is a drug. We can't get enough of it."


Welcome to my lounge room :)
alebonau is offline  
post #19655 of 31979 Old 01-15-2017, 09:09 PM
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2016
Location: PDX on the Columbia
Posts: 296
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 110 Post(s)
Liked: 96
A few questions that I am hoping to get an answer to. Note that this is my first projector so these may be bonehead questions.:


Just got the RS500 fired up and was doing some testing.

My chain goes:

Samsung UBD-K8500 4k ultra blu ray
Marantz 7011
RS500

The problem-
Putting in a movie like Blu-ray version of Force Awakens works perfect, a DVD version of Willy Wonka gives a blue screen with 'no input' however it worked when the Samsung was plugged directly into a monitor. I dont know if this is a setting with the Marantz or the projector. Any thoughts on what I need to do?

The other problem-
Not really a 'problem' but I noticed what seemed to be a tiny bit of latency between the video and the audio on SW the Force Awakens (audio looked a few milliseconds behind video). It was so subtle that it could of been just my imagination. Is this a thing or am I looking too hard?

Thanks for any advice!

~JH
Jonny Hotnuts is offline  
post #19656 of 31979 Old 01-15-2017, 09:15 PM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
stevenjw's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2001
Location: Palm Coast, Florida, USA
Posts: 2,938
Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 635 Post(s)
Liked: 829
Quote:
Originally Posted by audioguy View Post
I have given up trying to get an acceptable picture in either 4K OR even SDR/WCG (using the new Oppo). For as much as I know about audio, I know next to nothing (or less) about video. I have tried using the plethora of settings provided by other users for each of the two products but even at that, when I get an acceptable picture (NOT great) for one 4K movie, it sucks on another one. I had posted asking for one person who has both pieces (RS500/600 and Oppo) to list all of their RS500/600 settings along with their all of their Oppo settings, but have not yet seen a response. I would at least be willing to give that a whirl. At this point, even settings on both pieces for SDR/WCG would be better than what I have seen so far.

If I chose to just send the signal from the Oppo to the RS500 without HDR, can I use the same settings in the RS500 I use for regular BluRays?

I have a tentative scheduled appointment with ChadB next month but if the Oppo does not have all of the wrinkles ironed out by the time my appointment is scheduled, I may delay until such time as they have it figured out. Incredibly frustrating.

RANT OVER !! Sorry!!

The good news? The picture on regular BluRay is absolutely stunning.
1. Run an autocal, then report back. That could account for everything negative that you're reporting. Honestly, I don't think it's that hard to do because it's pretty automatic once you get the sensor in the right spot. If you have a good meter, you can get a good calibration on your own. I suspect Chad will squeeze out the last 5-10% using the CMS or other tricks that he knows and the best meters.

2. See my settings a few posts earlier (or CJ / Claw's in the Oppo thread). It's what I use for HDR only in the JVC and Oppo. All other settings in both are defaults. Not sure what else you're looking for or expecting. I think the consensus is that UHD looks better than BD even without the DI. It's not perfect, but the UHD source isn't consistent either. UHD teething pains IMHO.

Since your BDs look stunning, they'll look even better with an autocal. You'll need to set up a second PQ Adjust Menu profile option in the Oppo for HDR to go with the defaults you're using for BDs. I have an HTPC with MadVR, so will only use the Oppo for UHD. Makes settings easy with set and forget using a Harmony. Of course, if I find that I like HDR strip to SDR better, I have those programmed and just need to choose the right picture settings in the Oppo. But that's another story because HDR looks good to me and I can wait until Oppo gets HDR strip perfect.

...Steve
"Opinions are like orgasms… mine matters most and I really don’t care if you have one or not." ;)
 
My HT gear
stevenjw is offline  
post #19657 of 31979 Old 01-15-2017, 10:01 PM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
alebonau's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2006
Location: Land of Contentment :)
Posts: 4,628
Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1805 Post(s)
Liked: 1228
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jonny Hotnuts View Post
A few questions that I am hoping to get an answer to. Note that this is my first projector so these may be bonehead questions.:


Just got the RS500 fired up and was doing some testing.

My chain goes:

Samsung UBD-K8500 4k ultra blu ray
Marantz 7011
RS500

The problem-
Putting in a movie like Blu-ray version of Force Awakens works perfect, a DVD version of Willy Wonka gives a blue screen with 'no input' however it worked when the Samsung was plugged directly into a monitor. I dont know if this is a setting with the Marantz or the projector. Any thoughts on what I need to do?

The other problem-
Not really a 'problem' but I noticed what seemed to be a tiny bit of latency between the video and the audio on SW the Force Awakens (audio looked a few milliseconds behind video). It was so subtle that it could of been just my imagination. Is this a thing or am I looking too hard?

Thanks for any advice!

~JH
the jvc it would seem cant accept a native dvd signal. are you running source direct off the sammy ?

i had my sammy resolution wise on factory settings and would go seamlessly between dvd/blu-ray/uhd (uhd with its respective settings)

"Technology is a drug. We can't get enough of it."


Welcome to my lounge room :)
alebonau is offline  
post #19658 of 31979 Old 01-15-2017, 10:59 PM
Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2015
Posts: 159
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 122 Post(s)
Liked: 14
Does the version 83.2 brings autocolor or is it necessary to download it apart?
Walter Santos Filho is offline  
post #19659 of 31979 Old 01-16-2017, 12:05 AM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
Javs's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2012
Location: Sydney
Posts: 7,849
Mentioned: 475 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 6791 Post(s)
Liked: 6418
Sweet!

krichter1 likes this.

JVC X9500 (RS620) | 120" 16:9 | Marantz AV7702 MkII | Emotiva XPA-7 | DIY Modular Towers | DIY TPL-150 Surrounds | DIY Atmos | DIY 18" Subs
-
MadVR Settings | UHD Waveform Analysis | Arve Tool Instructions + V3 Javs Curves
Javs is offline  
post #19660 of 31979 Old 01-16-2017, 01:10 AM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
stevenjw's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2001
Location: Palm Coast, Florida, USA
Posts: 2,938
Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 635 Post(s)
Liked: 829
Thumbs up Hdr --> sdr bt.2020

Quote:
Originally Posted by stevenjw View Post
Next step is to play with HDR --> SDR BT.2020 on the Oppo & JVC.
OK, I tried HDR --> SDR Meta-strip and watched all of "Endor's Game". I wanted something with good space scenes and also bright shot and this UHD has exactly that from bright take-offs into dark space. My
JVC for BD BT.709 viewing follows (it's what I like in my bat cave):

RS500 Settings:
Low Lamp
Iris: Auto 2 +0
Clear Black: Off
MPC: 2/0/0/0
CMD: Off
Motion: Low
Gamma Custom1: 2.3 0/2/0 (Dark Level 2)
BT.709NF profile
Contrast: 0
Brightness: 1

For SDR BT.2020, the only changes necessary were to select BT.2020 Color Profile (saved under new User5 profile) and the following in the Oppo.

Oppo:
HDR: meta-strip
4K24 4:2:2 BT.2020 12-bit HDR
Contrast: +0
Brightness: +6

I tried +8 initially, but had to crank it down to +6. The results were VERY good. Since I've never seen the Panny/Fury combo, I have nothing to compare to except BT.709 BD. As I said, VERY good and definite improvement to me. I have to do so more viewing to decide if I like this better than HDR. Both are very good IMHO. Too bad the JVC doesn't provide DI under HDR. That would be the best solution over meta stripping HDR.

The best news for me is that this meta-stripping should only improve with firmware updates. And there's improved sound to be had via more speakers and ATMOS. The 7.1 in Ender's Game rocked the theater. I can only imagine what overhead speakers would do.
claw, sonichart, krichter1 and 1 others like this.

...Steve
"Opinions are like orgasms… mine matters most and I really don’t care if you have one or not." ;)
 
My HT gear
stevenjw is offline  
post #19661 of 31979 Old 01-16-2017, 01:16 AM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
Javs's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2012
Location: Sydney
Posts: 7,849
Mentioned: 475 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 6791 Post(s)
Liked: 6418
Quote:
Originally Posted by stevenjw View Post
OK, I tried HDR --> SDR Meta-strip and watched all of "Endor's Game". I wanted something with good space scenes and also bright shot and this UHD has exactly that from bright take-offs into dark space. My
JVC for BD BT.709 viewing follows (it's what I like in my bat cave):

RS500 Settings:
Low Lamp
Iris: Auto 2 +0
Clear Black: Off
MPC: 2/0/0/0
CMD: Off
Motion: Low
Gamma Custom1: 2.3 0/2/0 (Dark Level 2)
BT.709NF profile
Contrast: 0
Brightness: 1

For SDR BT.2020, the only changes necessary were to select BT.2020 Color Profile (saved under new User5 profile) and the following in the Oppo.

Oppo:
HDR: meta-strip
4K24 4:2:2 BT.2020 12-bit HDR
Contrast: +0
Brightness: +6

I tried +8 initially, but had to crank it down to +6. The results were VERY good. Since I've never seen the Panny/Fury combo, I have nothing to compare to except BT.709 BD. As I said, VERY good and definite improvement to me. I have to do so more viewing to decide if I like this better than HDR. Both are very good IMHO. Too bad the JVC doesn't provide DI under HDR. That would be the best solution over meta stripping HDR.

The best news for me is that this meta-stripping should only improve with firmware updates. And there's improved sound to be had via more speakers and ATMOS. The 7.1 in Ender's Game rocked the theater. I can only imagine what overhead speakers would do.
GREAT stuff Steven,

I know you don't like 2k DI's but since you already have Enders Game, have a look at Pacific Rim, its probably really cheap to purchase. I certainly found that to be the best wide colour gamut film I have seen so far, it has glorious HDR like colours on very dark black backgrounds. Its a pretty brutal test, and it didnt pass in HDR for me, SDR with the proper iris and inky black floor really really wowed me.
stevenjw likes this.

JVC X9500 (RS620) | 120" 16:9 | Marantz AV7702 MkII | Emotiva XPA-7 | DIY Modular Towers | DIY TPL-150 Surrounds | DIY Atmos | DIY 18" Subs
-
MadVR Settings | UHD Waveform Analysis | Arve Tool Instructions + V3 Javs Curves
Javs is offline  
post #19662 of 31979 Old 01-16-2017, 01:47 AM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
stevenjw's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2001
Location: Palm Coast, Florida, USA
Posts: 2,938
Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 635 Post(s)
Liked: 829
Yeah, picked up Endor's Game and a few other 2K DI titles early from the Fox sale. Needed something to play and they were cheap initial releases here. I do own a few 2K DI titles, but am trying to avoid them out of principle for the most part. The reality is that if it's something that I'll watch more than once, I'll likely buy it on UHD even if it's not real 4K (ex: Arrival). On the other hand, I probably wouldn't watch Scully more than once, so won't buy it even though it's real 4K and reportedly superb. I have over 5000 movies/TV series, many unopened, so don't need to waste money (that could go towards new house and/or ATMOS setup. LOL). Been there, done that too often.

Pacific Rim is on my wish list, but sadly I can't find it for less than $31.99 US (at Amazon). I need to pick up Lucy as well (real 4K) for demo material. I have both on BD, so double-dip is also a negative. I have nearly 2 dozen UHDs with more on the way pre-ordered. There's plenty to watch until the wish list goes on sale.

...Steve
"Opinions are like orgasms… mine matters most and I really don’t care if you have one or not." ;)
 
My HT gear

Last edited by stevenjw; 01-16-2017 at 01:53 AM.
stevenjw is offline  
post #19663 of 31979 Old 01-16-2017, 05:26 AM
 
Seegs108's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Location: Upstate New York
Posts: 10,827
Mentioned: 48 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 5167 Post(s)
Liked: 2593
Quote:
Originally Posted by stevenjw View Post
Yeah, picked up Endor's Game and a few other 2K DI titles early from the Fox sale. Needed something to play and they were cheap initial releases here. I do own a few 2K DI titles, but am trying to avoid them out of principle for the most part. The reality is that if it's something that I'll watch more than once, I'll likely buy it on UHD even if it's not real 4K (ex: Arrival). On the other hand, I probably wouldn't watch Scully more than once, so won't buy it even though it's real 4K and reportedly superb. I have over 5000 movies/TV series, many unopened, so don't need to waste money (that could go towards new house and/or ATMOS setup. LOL). Been there, done that too often.

Pacific Rim is on my wish list, but sadly I can't find it for less than $31.99 US (at Amazon). I need to pick up Lucy as well (real 4K) for demo material. I have both on BD, so double-dip is also a negative. I have nearly 2 dozen UHDs with more on the way pre-ordered. There's plenty to watch until the wish list goes on sale.
The way I look at it is I'll buy what is "excellent" in terms of video quality and HDR mastering. I won't buy "okay" quality UHD BDs if that's what reviewers or enthusiasts are saying about them. WB and Fox have a bad reputation for general bottom of the heap quality. I guarantee you that most of these titles will have double dip releases down the road. It happens every time. DVD -> suberbit DVD. Blu-ray -> Mastered in 4K BD. And now we have a new format that's seen several "lack luster" releases. It's cyclical it seems.
mbw23air, stevenjw and krichter1 like this.
Seegs108 is offline  
post #19664 of 31979 Old 01-16-2017, 05:48 AM
Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2015
Posts: 159
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 122 Post(s)
Liked: 14
I know it's a dumb question, because I'm a noob, but anyone would be so kind as to answer my retro question, please.
Walter Santos Filho is offline  
post #19665 of 31979 Old 01-16-2017, 05:59 AM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
audioguy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2001
Location: Not far from Atlanta - but far enough!
Posts: 9,052
Mentioned: 89 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 4558 Post(s)
Liked: 3321
Quote:
Originally Posted by Seegs108 View Post
The way I look at it is I'll buy what is "excellent" in terms of video quality and HDR mastering. I won't buy "okay" quality UHD BDs if that's what reviewers or enthusiasts are saying about them. WB and Fox have a bad reputation for general bottom of the heap quality. I guarantee you that most of these titles will have double dip releases down the road. It happens every time. DVD -> suberbit DVD. Blu-ray -> Mastered in 4K BD. And now we have a new format that's seen several "lack luster" releases. It's cyclical it seems.
I'm with you. The only thing that might get me to purchase a 'less than great video quality" 4K movie is if it has 3D audio and the Blu Ray counterpart does not.
audioguy is online now  
post #19666 of 31979 Old 01-16-2017, 06:00 AM
 
Seegs108's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Location: Upstate New York
Posts: 10,827
Mentioned: 48 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 5167 Post(s)
Liked: 2593
Quote:
Originally Posted by Walter Santos Filho View Post
Does the version 83.2 brings autocolor or is it necessary to download it apart?
Quote:
Originally Posted by Walter Santos Filho View Post
I know it's a dumb question, because I'm a noob, but anyone would be so kind as to answer my retro question, please.
What do you mean by "autocolor"? Are you referring to the auto-calibration software? If so, no, you don't need the latest 83.2 firmware to use it, but it's still advisable to install the latest firmware to correct a few bugs the earlier firmware had.

If you're referring to the auto-calibration software, you'll need to download the software separately. You can find the software and instructions on how to use it here:

Software:
http://www3.jvckenwood.com/english/d...ationsoft.html

Instructions:
https://www3.jvckenwood.com/english/...6_en_v1_00.pdf
Seegs108 is offline  
post #19667 of 31979 Old 01-16-2017, 06:02 AM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
audioguy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2001
Location: Not far from Atlanta - but far enough!
Posts: 9,052
Mentioned: 89 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 4558 Post(s)
Liked: 3321
Quote:
Originally Posted by stevenjw View Post
I have over 5000 movies/TV series, many unopened
Wowzer. >5000 movies and many unopened is a bunch. Your the classic profile for something like a Kaleidescape system or DIY equivalent.
audioguy is online now  
post #19668 of 31979 Old 01-16-2017, 06:07 AM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
claw's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2001
Location: L'Etoile du Nord
Posts: 2,825
Mentioned: 77 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2212 Post(s)
Liked: 2067
Quote:
Originally Posted by Walter Santos Filho View Post
Does the version 83.2 brings autocolor or is it necessary to download it apart?
Autocal, not autocolor. This is the software download link from JVC:

http://www3.jvckenwood.com/english/d...ationsoft.html

If your JVC does not have the BT.2020 Color Profile pre-loaded then you need to use Autocal to load the profile. If you received your JVC recently it should already have the BT.2020 Color Profile.

To use Autocal for calibration of my JVC is not something I have attempted yet. It will require some learning before becoming sufficiently competent to understand the process. There is an Autocal thread that would be required reading before making any attempt to use Autocal.

https://www.avsforum.com/forum/24-dig...libration.html

CJ
JVC RS500|LG B7A OLED|Denon X6400H/X4200W|Panasonic UB820|Two Oppo 203|Samsung K8500|Apple TV 4K|HDfury Vertex/Linker/Integral
claw is offline  
post #19669 of 31979 Old 01-16-2017, 06:10 AM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
Tom Bley's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2001
Location: IL. USA
Posts: 3,400
Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 909 Post(s)
Liked: 862
Quote:
Originally Posted by Seegs108 View Post
The way I look at it is I'll buy what is "excellent" in terms of video quality and HDR mastering. I won't buy "okay" quality UHD BDs if that's what reviewers or enthusiasts are saying about them. WB and Fox have a bad reputation for general bottom of the heap quality. I guarantee you that most of these titles will have double dip releases down the road. It happens every time. DVD -> suberbit DVD. Blu-ray -> Mastered in 4K BD. And now we have a new format that's seen several "lack luster" releases. It's cyclical it seems.
Warner did excellent on 'Sully'. This is a demo worthy IMO. If you haven't, check this one out.
Tom Bley is online now  
post #19670 of 31979 Old 01-16-2017, 06:21 AM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
audioguy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2001
Location: Not far from Atlanta - but far enough!
Posts: 9,052
Mentioned: 89 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 4558 Post(s)
Liked: 3321
Quote:
Originally Posted by stevenjw View Post
OK, I tried HDR --> SDR Meta-strip and watched all of "Endor's Game". I wanted something with good space scenes and also bright shot and this UHD has exactly that from bright take-offs into dark space. My
JVC for BD BT.709 viewing follows (it's what I like in my bat cave):

RS500 Settings:
Low Lamp
Iris: Auto 2 +0
Clear Black: Off
MPC: 2/0/0/0
CMD: Off
Motion: Low
Gamma Custom1: 2.3 0/2/0 (Dark Level 2)
BT.709NF profile
Contrast: 0
Brightness: 1

For SDR BT.2020, the only changes necessary were to select BT.2020 Color Profile (saved under new User5 profile) and the following in the Oppo.

Oppo:
HDR: meta-strip
4K24 4:2:2 BT.2020 12-bit HDR
Contrast: +0
Brightness: +6

I tried +8 initially, but had to crank it down to +6. The results were VERY good. Since I've never seen the Panny/Fury combo, I have nothing to compare to except BT.709 BD. As I said, VERY good and definite improvement to me. I have to do so more viewing to decide if I like this better than HDR. Both are very good IMHO. Too bad the JVC doesn't provide DI under HDR. That would be the best solution over meta stripping HDR.

The best news for me is that this meta-stripping should only improve with firmware updates. And there's improved sound to be had via more speakers and ATMOS. The 7.1 in Ender's Game rocked the theater. I can only imagine what overhead speakers would do.
Thanks for posting this. Have you posted elsewhere your selected settings for HDR?

I will look at my BT.709 and see how it compares to these though I have zero complaints about BluRay. And I will try the SDR BT.2020 settings to see if I can get something at least watchable.

Thanks. And FWIW and in my opinion, adding those atmos speakers will be a far greater improvement in getting immersed in a movie than going from BR to 4K or 8K or ..... Even the very best 4K I have seen (which, by the way, was stunning) pales in comparison to what 3D audio provides me. But that's just me (and my wife).
krichter1 likes this.
audioguy is online now  
post #19671 of 31979 Old 01-16-2017, 06:31 AM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
Clark Burk's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 1999
Location: Baltimore,MD.USA
Posts: 1,943
Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 682 Post(s)
Liked: 639
I'll be joining the ranks of owners soon as I just placed my order for a RS500 with Mike Garrett yesterday. I was thinking of waiting for the new models but the deal was just to good to pass up and I don't game on my projector so it was a no brainer really.
I'll be asking some questions I'm sure so please be gentle if I ask the newbie question. I'll search and try and find my answers first if I can though.
Craig, Manni, Javs, kritcher, claw, Tom, Carbon and many others you have already helped by providing a wealth of info in this thread and thanks again to Mike at AVS for making my 3rd JVC purchase another pleasant one

Clark
Clark Burk is offline  
post #19672 of 31979 Old 01-16-2017, 06:52 AM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
sonichart's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2002
Location: East Dundee, IL
Posts: 1,121
Mentioned: 24 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 689 Post(s)
Liked: 583
Quote:
Originally Posted by Javs View Post
No, added screen-shot to the end of my last post. If fade-in/fade-out option is not ticked you will drop frames.
Excellent. Our settings are very close, but its this minutiae i've been missing. I also, originally, had everything unchecked in 'trade quality for performance' and will update that as well.

If I may add one more request (wish I could promise it would be my last) but could you also post a screenshot of your calibration screen? I'm guessing you're telling MadVr that your PJ is calibrated for BT.709 (Rec.709) and Gamma 2.3?

Now I need to figure out how to bookmark a post, because I don't want to lose it.
Javs likes this.

JVC RS600 ¤ 130" Wide Seymour XD 2.35:1
Denon x4200 ¤ Onkyo M5010 ¤ iNuke 3000 ¤ 7.2.2
HTPC GTX1080 + MadVR is my master now ¤ Zidoo X8
sonichart is offline  
post #19673 of 31979 Old 01-16-2017, 07:09 AM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
sonichart's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2002
Location: East Dundee, IL
Posts: 1,121
Mentioned: 24 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 689 Post(s)
Liked: 583
Quote:
Originally Posted by stevenjw View Post
OK, I tried HDR --> SDR Meta-strip and watched all of "Endor's Game". My JVC for BD BT.709 viewing follows (it's what I like in my bat cave):

RS500 Settings:
Low Lamp
Iris: Auto 2 +0
Clear Black: Off
MPC: 2/0/0/0
CMD: Off
Motion: Low
Gamma Custom1: 2.3 0/2/0 (Dark Level 2)
BT.709NF profile
Contrast: 0
Brightness: 1

For SDR BT.2020, the only changes necessary were to select BT.2020 Color Profile (saved under new User5 profile) and the following in the Oppo.
Looks like your Bt.709/Rec.709 (same thing right?) are very close to what zombie10k laid out in his Custom1 profile. Upon closer inspection I'm surprised you're at Auto 2 +0 in a batcave. Is there a reason you haven't clamped down your iris for BD content? I think I have mine set to -8 Auto 2. Batcave. Velvet on every surface.

So if I understand your post correctly. Your settings for SDR WCG BT.2020 are essentially that same as your BT.709 profile with the only change being the selection of the BT.2020 color profile? Or did you open up the Iris to accommodate SDR WCG?

JVC RS600 ¤ 130" Wide Seymour XD 2.35:1
Denon x4200 ¤ Onkyo M5010 ¤ iNuke 3000 ¤ 7.2.2
HTPC GTX1080 + MadVR is my master now ¤ Zidoo X8
sonichart is offline  
post #19674 of 31979 Old 01-16-2017, 08:24 AM
AVS Forum Addicted Member
 
Craig Peer's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2003
Location: Sacramento, CA
Posts: 15,769
Mentioned: 106 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 6612 Post(s)
Liked: 7674
Quote:
Originally Posted by sonichart View Post
Looks like your Bt.709/Rec.709 (same thing right?) are very close to what zombie10k laid out in his Custom1 profile. Upon closer inspection I'm surprised you're at Auto 2 +0 in a batcave. Is there a reason you haven't clamped down your iris for BD content? I think I have mine set to -8 Auto 2. Batcave. Velvet on every surface.

So if I understand your post correctly. Your settings for SDR WCG BT.2020 are essentially that same as your BT.709 profile with the only change being the selection of the BT.2020 color profile? Or did you open up the Iris to accommodate SDR WCG?
Manual iris -7 or 8 and Auto Iris 2 is what I use for HD / Blu Rays too ( thanks Zombie ). On a 118" wide / 128" diagonal 2.35:1 screen. For BT.2020 I open the iris to -5. Can't see having the iris wide open - it would be too bright, and contrast wouldn't be as good. Everyone needs a light meter !
Tom Bley and zombie10k like this.

Last edited by Craig Peer; 01-16-2017 at 08:29 AM.
Craig Peer is online now  
post #19675 of 31979 Old 01-16-2017, 08:56 AM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
Tom Bley's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2001
Location: IL. USA
Posts: 3,400
Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 909 Post(s)
Liked: 862
Quote:
Originally Posted by Craig Peer View Post
Manual iris -7 or 8 and Auto Iris 2 is what I use for HD / Blu Rays too ( thanks Zombie ). On a 118" wide / 128" diagonal 2.35:1 screen. For BT.2020 I open the iris to -5. Can't see having the iris wide open - it would be too bright, and contrast wouldn't be as good. Everyone needs a light meter !
Craig, which light meter you have again?
Tom Bley is online now  
post #19676 of 31979 Old 01-16-2017, 09:29 AM
Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2015
Posts: 159
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 122 Post(s)
Liked: 14
Thank you very much Seegs 108 and Claw for the informations. My unit is the X950R and is already updated to 83.2 version. I'll have a professional calibration as soon as the rest of the items I imported is free from customs. A Panny UB900, the fury extension, 3d glasses and RF emitter. I also ordered a 12.2 meters of the celerity cable. I had an RS 25 before, so I know what JVC`s black levels and contrast are. That's why I sold my Sony VPl VW 600. I have a bat cave room so the picture I got so far, even without professional calibration is prime. (of course for my eyes).
Walter Santos Filho is offline  
post #19677 of 31979 Old 01-16-2017, 09:54 AM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2016
Posts: 1,124
Mentioned: 36 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 930 Post(s)
Liked: 271
Quote:
Originally Posted by Javs View Post
Hi,

SULLY - Non MadVR vs MadVR NGU Very High
http://screenshotcomparison.com/comparison/196783

LUCY - Non MadVR vs MadVR NGU Very High
http://screenshotcomparison.com/comparison/197026
I was hoping that you'd compare MadVR VS Panny with sharpness (High Freq=3,Mid freq=1,Edge Enh=1). These comparisons you are posting for MAD VR are crazy. Just want to know if the difference is still big b/w Panny Vs MadVR.
Javs likes this.
harrisu is offline  
post #19678 of 31979 Old 01-16-2017, 10:22 AM
AVS Forum Addicted Member
 
Craig Peer's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2003
Location: Sacramento, CA
Posts: 15,769
Mentioned: 106 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 6612 Post(s)
Liked: 7674
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tom Bley View Post
Craig, which light meter you have again?
The AEMC CA813 - https://www.instrumart.com/products/...g&gclsrc=aw.ds
Tom Bley and keithsimp like this.
Craig Peer is online now  
post #19679 of 31979 Old 01-16-2017, 10:42 AM
DRC
Member
 
DRC's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2002
Posts: 149
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 50 Post(s)
Liked: 16
JVC RS500 with Oppo 203

I apologize up front because I am sure the answer to these questions is buried in this thread somewhere. I have 3 questions that I can't seem to find answers to. I have a new RS500 and a new Oppo UDP-203. I only have 10 hours on the bulb and have left the Oppo in default setting except for 1 setting which is my first question.
1. The default setting on the Oppo for Output Resolution" is "Auto". When I use that I can't see any of the Oppo menus on the JVC unless I switch the Oppo to "direct". Why?
2. The JVC has settings for "Setting Screen Correction". In my case I have a Stewart Studio Tek 130 G3, 106 inch diagonal. I have inputed the value into the JVC. Nowhere does it say what that actually does. What does "screen correction" do?
3. I have not done auto cal yet but have created 3 separate calibrations in user 1-3 for UHD in user 1, 1080P 2D in user 2 and 1080P 3D in user 3. The UHD is based on what is recommended by JVC and the various comments in this thread. The other 2 are based on the recommendations by Chad. I have installed BT2020 and it is stored in Custom 1 colour profile. My question has to do with UHD where I have the colour profile set to BT2020. When I watch any UHD HDR movie like Sicario, the picture does look spectaclular but, when I look at the info on the RS500 it shows Source: 4K(3840)24, Deep Color: is greyed out, Color Space: YUV, and HDR: Yes
Why is Deep Color greyed out? What does Color Space YUV mean?
DRC is offline  
post #19680 of 31979 Old 01-16-2017, 10:47 AM
Advanced Member
 
tjenkins95's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2005
Location: Rhode Island
Posts: 760
Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 491 Post(s)
Liked: 443
Quote:
Originally Posted by stevenjw View Post
Yeah, picked up Endor's Game and a few other 2K DI titles early from the Fox sale. Needed something to play and they were cheap initial releases here. I do own a few 2K DI titles, but am trying to avoid them out of principle for the most part. The reality is that if it's something that I'll watch more than once, I'll likely buy it on UHD even if it's not real 4K (ex: Arrival). On the other hand, I probably wouldn't watch Scully more than once, so won't buy it even though it's real 4K and reportedly superb. I have over 5000 movies/TV series, many unopened, so don't need to waste money (that could go towards new house and/or ATMOS setup. LOL). Been there, done that too often.

Pacific Rim is on my wish list, but sadly I can't find it for less than $31.99 US (at Amazon). I need to pick up Lucy as well (real 4K) for demo material. I have both on BD, so double-dip is also a negative. I have nearly 2 dozen UHDs with more on the way pre-ordered. There's plenty to watch until the wish list goes on sale.


I watched Sully when it was first released - great looking 4K and sound - but after watching it once I knew I would not watch again so I sold it the next day on ebay! I've done that with a lot of other 4k and regular blu-rays like Ender's Game. There's a deal on ebay now for a "watched once" 4K version of Pacific Rim out there now.

www.raysdvds.org
Denon AVR-X6200W; JVC RS500; Panasonic DMP-UB900; Oppo UDP-203;
Klipsch Speakers: RF-82, RC-62, RS-52, RB-61, RT-10d sub, Klipsch CDT-3650-C (4) ceiling.
Pioneer Dolby Atmos enabled Elite Concentric Speakers: SP-EFS73, SP-EBS73, and SP-EC73 in the guest room.
tjenkins95 is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
Reply Digital Hi-End Projectors - $3,000+ USD MSRP

Tags
jvc-rs500u synch/display issue? , RS600

Thread Tools
Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page


Forum Jump: 

Posting Rules  
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off