Official JVC RS600 / RS500 (X950R / X750R - X9000 / X7000) Owners Thread - Page 690 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 
 84693Likes

post #20671 of 31985 Old 02-11-2017, 07:17 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 21 Post(s)
Liked: 2
CMD off did fix my Roku issue, thanks
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #20672 of 31985 Old 02-11-2017, 07:29 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 475 Post(s)
Quoted: 6791 Post(s)
Liked: 6418
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave Vaughn View Post
OK...while the Gamma is improved, there is an issue with color saturation for some reason. The only change I made was from Gamma D to Custom 1, which is Manni's 4000 Nit profile. Check out the picture from Deadpool and how the blue is gone from the sky. Not sure what the heck is going on though. Curious for other people's thoughts. I plan on breaking out Calman tonight and taking some readings, unless something unforeseen happens. The pictures are slightly overexposed, but man, that Deadpool picture just looks wrong.
Here is that Deadpool shot from the Bluray.

Remember WCG is supposed to be subtle and not glaringly different from Rec709.

If I were to take a guess, I would say Manni's looks more accurate, he did mention recently that you may need to pump colour up to +5 or +10, did you try that?. I have never thought Gamma D looked anywhere near accurate, it always seemed to me like the colour was dialled to 11.

Manni01 likes this.

JVC X9500 (RS620) | 120" 16:9 | Marantz AV7702 MkII | Emotiva XPA-7 | DIY Modular Towers | DIY TPL-150 Surrounds | DIY Atmos | DIY 18" Subs
-
MadVR Settings | UHD Waveform Analysis | Arve Tool Instructions + V3 Javs Curves
post #20673 of 31985 Old 02-11-2017, 07:35 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 29 Post(s)
Quoted: 1430 Post(s)
Liked: 2187
Javs, it almost looks like the color temperature is completely different on my pictures. I'm about to pull out Calman now, but I think I'll look at this scene one more time to make sure it isn't my phone that changed the color temperature.

David Vaughn Blu-ray Reviewer / Technical Writer Sound & Vision Magazine (Print & Online)

For Sale: JVC X750R Projector (RS500 Equivalent) https://www.avsforum.com/forum/252-f...l#post58241092
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #20674 of 31985 Old 02-11-2017, 07:39 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 43 Post(s)
Quoted: 2724 Post(s)
Liked: 1956
Quote:
Originally Posted by claw View Post
It seems like the owners having the best luck with Manni's custom gamma are those that have the Panasonic player.
Quote:
Originally Posted by atabea View Post
I have both the Pana and the OPPO and they both benefit equally from Manni's custom curve. That curve is the best thing to come along since JVC gave us Gamma D as a starting point.
Agreed. This appears to be a solution for HDR10 content regardless of source.

Quote:
Originally Posted by atabea View Post
I see that ChadB will be exploring this option as well and it would be great to hear his thoughts on it.
Where did you see this discussion?

Quote:
Originally Posted by bdavidson View Post
Maybe I missed it, but where is the link to download the custom hdr gamma? Is it the first gamma download link (of 3) on the first post in the jvc calibration thread?
That's the post.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Javs View Post
Here is that Deadpool shot from the Bluray.

Remember WCG is supposed to be subtle and not glaringly different from Rec709.

If I were to take a guess, I would say Manni's looks more accurate, he did mention recently that you may need to pump colour up to +5 or +10, did you try that?. I have never thought Gamma D looked anywhere near accurate, it always seemed to me like the colour was dialled to 11.
You're not the only one who thought that -- sometimes seemed to be the case to me -- though it should be possible to confirm with measurements.
post #20675 of 31985 Old 02-11-2017, 07:42 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 475 Post(s)
Quoted: 6791 Post(s)
Liked: 6418
Quote:
Javs, it almost looks like the color temperature is completely different on my pictures. I'm about to pull out Calman now, but I think I'll look at this scene one more time to make sure it isn't my phone that changed the color temperature.
Im sure it was the colour temp dave, the background with the clouds is not too far off 18% grey so the phone would see that and make the image far colder since there is some blue in it...
Manni01 likes this.

JVC X9500 (RS620) | 120" 16:9 | Marantz AV7702 MkII | Emotiva XPA-7 | DIY Modular Towers | DIY TPL-150 Surrounds | DIY Atmos | DIY 18" Subs
-
MadVR Settings | UHD Waveform Analysis | Arve Tool Instructions + V3 Javs Curves
post #20676 of 31985 Old 02-11-2017, 07:49 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 100 Post(s)
Quoted: 692 Post(s)
Liked: 1575
Official JVC RS600 / RS500 (X950R / X750R - X9000 / X7000) Owners Thread

Yes I've been working on a RS420 and making a custom gamma curve for HDR with outstanding results. Mkoper and Manni's multiplier methods have been a tremendous help. I will be able to do the same on the RS400/500/600.
BTW, on the new X20 series there is no gamma D; it is a new gamma preset that is much better tuned from the factory, so even without a custom gamma they are pretty good in HDR mode. Their autocal software (v 9.00) has a problem though and needs a fix.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

touring ISF/THX calibrator with Jeti 1211 and Klein K-10
Latest reviews:JVC RS540, JVC RS3000, Sony VPL-VW695ES
Copied settings measured, Review archive
post #20677 of 31985 Old 02-11-2017, 07:58 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Smile

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chad B View Post
Yes I've been working on a RS420 and making a custom gamma curve for HDR with outstanding results. Mkoper and Manni's multiplier methods have been a tremendous help. I will be able to do the same on the RS400/500/600.
BTW, on the new X20 series there is no gamma D; it is a new gamma preset that is much better tuned from the factory, so even without a custom gamma they are pretty good in HDR mode. Their autocal software (v 9.00) has a problem though and needs a fix.

Great to hear. Fingers crossed you get enough customer interest to do another west coast tour soon. I've put close to 400 hours on my rs500 since your last visit.
Chad B likes this.
post #20678 of 31985 Old 02-12-2017, 12:59 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 307 Post(s)
Quoted: 5360 Post(s)
Liked: 5413
Quote:
I've noticed a few things today in testing. First, I've tested all three of Manni's uploaded profiles, and frankly, any one of the three works great. The differences in the highlights are minimal, at best. As for shadow detail, they all beat the Gamma D. Even my wife noticed. I took a bunch of pictures, but will have to downrez them to get them to upload. Like Arnold, I'll be back.
Great to hear

Quote:
OK...while the Gamma is improved, there is an issue with color saturation for some reason. The only change I made was from Gamma D to Custom 1, which is Manni's 4000 Nit profile. Check out the picture from Deadpool and how the blue is gone from the sky. Not sure what the heck is going on though. Curious for other people's thoughts. I plan on breaking out Calman tonight and taking some readings, unless something unforeseen happens. The pictures are slightly overexposed, but man, that Deadpool picture just looks wrong.
I and others had noticed a slight undersaturation (I suggested between 5-10 on color even if that's probably inaccurate, but it feels better perceptually) but in your case it's very extreme judged by your pictures. The difference is much more subtle here, it took me a while to notice it. Not sure what causes such a drastic change your side.

Like Javs, I would say that the pics of my curve looks more accurate than your gamma D for Deadpool. Check your gamma D settings, with contrast set to 0 on the JVC you should have bright gamma at +2, picture tone should be around 10 on your screen size. Also check the color, tint etc are zeroed out.

Regarding the slight undersaturation here, it seems to not be as bad in all titles. For example, in Pacific Rim I need +3 on color at most, more than that it's too hot. In other titles, I can go up to 5-10 to perceptually match my Gamma D. But it's never as drastic as your difference. I'll probably settle for around +3 on color to be on the safe side until I find the cause/solution.

I'll try to post pictures showing the changes when I have the time.

I'll also be using the 4000nits roll-off (third file), there is no cost to the overall picture brightness and it does resolve extreme content better.

Quote:
Originally Posted by nathan_h View Post
Agreed. This appears to be a solution for HDR10 content regardless of source.

Where did you see this discussion?

That's the post.

You're not the only one who thought that -- sometimes seemed to be the case to me -- though it should be possible to confirm with measurements.
We discussed this with Chad B in the Calman thread I linked to at the beginning of this discussion (the post with BREAKING NEWS mentioning mkoper's find with the matrix, which I simplified using the screen offset method)

My measurements show an undersaturation on red and a lack of tracking, but I don't know if it's my Spyder that has gone wrong, my panel having shifted, or the effect of gamma D. I'll investigate this further when I have the time now that I know that it's not only here.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chad B View Post

Thanks for the feedback, have you noticed the slight undersaturation as well? Do you have an idea what causes it? I posted a longer reply in the Calman thread. I know you've aimed for clipping at 1000nits, now that I'm using a softer roll-off which doesn't seem to cost much in terms of overall picture brightness I might try this in my next attempt, that might help with color saturation. That's a multiplier of 5 for me, it might help those with a larger screen / less gain.

Regarding the new models, is the bug with the dark gamma control fixed, so can you adjust it as needed without raising the black floor / killing on/off contrast?

One last thing, anyone has a working irule code for the custom gamma 1-3? I tried those from the JVC remote control guide, they don't seem to work which is a bummer. All the other codes work, but not that one. Anyone with tried and tested working codes for custom gamma 1-3? The code for the gamma button works, so that's useful, but it's two presses when using custom1, and four when using custom3, and I'm lazy
stevenjw and Dave Vaughn like this.

Last edited by Manni01; 02-12-2017 at 02:05 AM.
post #20679 of 31985 Old 02-12-2017, 01:34 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 635 Post(s)
Liked: 829
OK, I did some more testing with Manni's latest 3000 nit roll-off curve. I'd really appreciate it if someone with an HTPC and similar screen size/gain can verify what I'm seeing (which is excellent BTW after dialing in CR/BR in the JVC using test clips).

My screen is 2.35:1 Carada BW real 1.1 gain with JVC in High Lamp set to BT.2020 HDR, lens -5, and Custom3 = Manni's 3000 nit curve. I suspect that this is the difference to what others may be seeing with smaller or high-gain screens. My room is completely light controlled and a "bat-cave with a lot of flat black paint and very dark carpeting. The only light is what's coming out the projector and bouncing off the screen. Using Ray M.'s new, longer Black and White Clipping .mp4 test clips, I determined the following JVC settings were needed: CR +4 and BR +17. Since this was done on my HTPC, it eliminates any chance that the Oppo was playing any part. I switched to the Oppo and tested the patterns there off USB and got the exact same results with Oppo Picture Adjustment all zeroed out (CR 0/BR 0)!!!

I put in the 4K UHD SvB:JL to test blacks/shadow detail. After making sure that Custom3 (Manni's 3000 nit gamma curve) was selected, proceeded with the actual movie which starts off with full black screen. Since I had yet to hit my saved 2.35:1 settings, I noticed a very slightly elevate black level, so dialed back the JVC's BR by one to +16. I proceeded watching the movie and immediately noticed how good it looked. I tested different scenes and in particular, the night scene starting with the White Portuguese ship (@ 1:13:10 I think) had great shadow detail with excellent highlights too. I'd say it was nearly flawless really. As long as the UHD titles are mastered correctly, I have found what clearly works in my theater with no need to try my own custom Gamma.

A huge thanks to Manni for his efforts and latest custom curve. I do notice some under-saturation (correct term?) with red and magenta with the 01. HDR Clipping Mix_HEVC_HDR10.mp4 clip found under 06. Misc Patterns --> 15. HDR Clipping Test Patterns. Getting this corrected would be the final trick to a nearly perfect UHD picture. The only thing left would be to get a functional DI with UHD and allow setting the Gamma to something other that D by default. At the very least, the later should be something that they could easily provide.

So, if someone with similar screen size/etc. and Oppo and/or HTPC could confirm what I'm seeing, that would help me verify my conclusions. Thanks!
Dave Vaughn and Manni01 like this.

...Steve
"Opinions are like orgasms… mine matters most and I really don’t care if you have one or not." ;)

My HT gear

Last edited by stevenjw; 02-12-2017 at 01:41 AM.
post #20680 of 31985 Old 02-12-2017, 01:38 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quoted: 1811 Post(s)
Liked: 1234
I have mentioned before I think how The Shallows on UHD looked simply stunning. Well...... I have have simply been BLOWN away this afternoon. We watched Secret life of pets on uhd blu-ray this afternoon !

I have not seen as stunning as pics, detail, PQ colours etc as this ever. simply stunning. the detail in images. the depth of colour, shades etc that the jvc refers something beautifully using HDR

this really is an amazing display of what UHD blu-ray can do. even just the detail on noses. the eyes of the snakes that are bars at the sewers. the autumn trees. the clarity of everything. in the age of blu-ray animations like toy story and bugs life were amazing with this kind of thing. uhd blu-ray has taken to quite another level !!!!!

to add to this is a lovely atmos track which is quite room filling great experience

"Technology is a drug. We can't get enough of it."

Welcome to my lounge room :)
post #20681 of 31985 Old 02-12-2017, 01:49 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Sounds great! My only issue is that I find it hard to correctly judge what an animated movie is supposed to look like since it's not real. The Shallows, Sully, or some other film is probably a better frame of reference for how good UHD looks. Animation almost always looks eye-popping, but doesn't always mean your setup is dialed in correctly.

I'm looking forward to seeing how good Billy Lang's LHW looks since it was shot with higher than 4K res cameras with a 4K DI and will by the first [email protected] UHD title. It should be reference quality if done correctly.

...Steve
"Opinions are like orgasms… mine matters most and I really don’t care if you have one or not." ;)

My HT gear
post #20682 of 31985 Old 02-12-2017, 02:05 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quoted: 1811 Post(s)
Liked: 1234
Quote:
Originally Posted by stevenjw View Post
Sounds great! My only issue is that I find it hard to correctly judge what an animated movie is supposed to look like since it's not real. The Shallows, Sully, or some other film is probably a better frame of reference for how good UHD looks. Animation almost always looks eye-popping, but doesn't always mean your setup is dialed in correctly.

I'm looking forward to seeing how good Billy Lang's LHW looks since it was shot with higher than 4K res cameras with a 4K DI and will by the first [email protected] UHD title. It should be reference quality if done correctly.
we have had quite a train of treats of late with indeed the shallows, deep water horizon, sully and now watching secret life of pets on uhd blu-ray. being very spoilt picture wise and with the great sound tracks these have too....very much indeed looking forward to billy lang, and then wiht planet earth II coming to uhd as well the treats hopefully continue
stevenjw likes this.

"Technology is a drug. We can't get enough of it."

Welcome to my lounge room :)
post #20683 of 31985 Old 02-12-2017, 06:24 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 14 Post(s)
Quoted: 1638 Post(s)
Liked: 499
Quote:
OK, I did some more testing with Manni's latest 3000 nit roll-off curve. I'd really appreciate it if someone with an HTPC and similar screen size/gain can verify what I'm seeing (which is excellent BTW after dialing in CR/BR in the JVC using test clips).

My screen is 2.35:1 Carada BW real 1.1 gain with JVC in High Lamp set to BT.2020 HDR, lens -5, and Custom3 = Manni's 3000 nit curve. I suspect that this is the difference to what others may be seeing with smaller or high-gain screens. My room is completely light controlled and a "bat-cave with a lot of flat black paint and very dark carpeting. The only light is what's coming out the projector and bouncing off the screen. Using Ray M.'s new, longer Black and White Clipping .mp4 test clips, I determined the following JVC settings were needed: CR +4 and BR +17. Since this was done on my HTPC, it eliminates any chance that the Oppo was playing any part. I switched to the Oppo and tested the patterns there off USB and got the exact same results with Oppo Picture Adjustment all zeroed out (CR 0/BR 0)!!!

I put in the 4K UHD SvB:JL to test blacks/shadow detail. After making sure that Custom3 (Manni's 3000 nit gamma curve) was selected, proceeded with the actual movie which starts off with full black screen. Since I had yet to hit my saved 2.35:1 settings, I noticed a very slightly elevate black level, so dialed back the JVC's BR by one to +16. I proceeded watching the movie and immediately noticed how good it looked. I tested different scenes and in particular, the night scene starting with the White Portuguese ship (@ 1:13:10 I think) had great shadow detail with excellent highlights too. I'd say it was nearly flawless really. As long as the UHD titles are mastered correctly, I have found what clearly works in my theater with no need to try my own custom Gamma.

A huge thanks to Manni for his efforts and latest custom curve. I do notice some under-saturation (correct term?) with red and magenta with the 01. HDR Clipping Mix_HEVC_HDR10.mp4 clip found under 06. Misc Patterns --> 15. HDR Clipping Test Patterns. Getting this corrected would be the final trick to a nearly perfect UHD picture. The only thing left would be to get a functional DI with UHD and allow setting the Gamma to something other that D by default. At the very least, the later should be something that they could easily provide.

So, if someone with similar screen size/etc. and Oppo and/or HTPC could confirm what I'm seeing, that would help me verify my conclusions. Thanks!
Agree with understauration of red in the new curve...any landscape scene in the Martian will show this (I think the beginning of Chapter 2 where he he laying konked out in the dirt shows the red undersaturation well, but who knows I'm just comparing to gamma d which could be over red saturated...good news is the black crush is gone with the new curve

Video:JVC N7 Sony 85” 900F Sony 55” 900F
Audio: Paradigm Prestige 95, 55C, 15b Dual JL Audio D110
Receiver/Amp: Anthem 1120, Emotiva XPA-5 Gen 2
Source: Panasonic UB820
Triple black velvet bat cave
post #20684 of 31985 Old 02-12-2017, 06:42 AM
Blu-ray Reviewer

Mentioned: 81 Post(s)
Quoted: 1632 Post(s)
Liked: 5732
Quote:
Originally Posted by davidhilldallas View Post
This issue has seemed to just started OR its the just time I have tried to play a HDR movie.

I have the Rodu set to output 4k HDR. Its going through Marantz av7703 to the JVC x750r. I have tried to play HDR shows from both amazon and netflixs. Its throughing the JVC in something bad where the picture starts to brinking and showing lines across. and stays in the that in the JVC even when I try to switch to tivo picture. I end up having to power everything all and on again to clear it up. I have had the ruko for 3 weeks, bu as stated, maybe I hadnt tried HDR content before.

I also have the sammy bluray and when I play the same HDR content through it, it works great... So it seems to be related to the Roko and HDR..

Wonder if anybody else had had this issue...
Quote:
Originally Posted by bdavidson View Post
Yep. Totally can confirm this problem with the Roku. Seems to happen when changing HDR resolutions and syncing. I have narrowed it down to having Clear Motion Drive enabled. I think you can get around it by having CMD disabled, start playing your Netflix hdr content, then enabling.

You can also fix by turning off CMD on the remote, but it will come back if you turn it back on until a power cycle on the JVC.

And I thought it was just me.
Quote:
Originally Posted by davidhilldallas View Post
CMD off did fix my Roku issue, thanks
Greetings,

YES! Had the same issue. Thanks for the info.

Regards,

Ralph C. Potts
Blu-ray Reviewer
My Home Theater
Follow me on Twitter @RalphAVSreviews
For Sale: JVC DLA-RS500 w/EXTRAS - *Final Price Drop*
post #20685 of 31985 Old 02-12-2017, 07:17 AM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 122 Post(s)
Liked: 14
I connected my Panny to my X950R projector using celerity cable, and changing the player to standard Rec 709. My sound connection goes to the pre CXA 5100 in one of the HDMI in it. I turned the hdmi audio/video to sound only, for the player advised me I would get no 4k shown. I get no sound turning on the the CXA. 5100 and the player. If I turn the first off and then on then the sound comes. I think that if a tun on the player first and the pre/pro after I'll have sound. What may be happening? My sound cable is a fast speed monster premium. No trouble with the video.
post #20686 of 31985 Old 02-12-2017, 07:23 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quoted: 1059 Post(s)
Liked: 361
I originally purchased the HDFury Integral to help with the Samsung 8500 sync issues (over a 28'HDMI cable run) with my RS500 as well as to obtain SDR BT.2020. I now have purchased a used Panny UHD player. I'm pretty sure that there were prior suggestions in this thread regarding optimal settings for the Panny when utilizing the Integral, but I'm not sure whether these were meant for HDR BT.2020 or SDR BT.2020. I'd really appreciate it if someone here could re-enlighten me about those values. Thanks!!
post #20687 of 31985 Old 02-12-2017, 07:40 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 307 Post(s)
Quoted: 5360 Post(s)
Liked: 5413
Quote:
Originally Posted by docrog View Post
I originally purchased the HDFury Integral to help with the Samsung 8500 sync issues (over a 28'HDMI cable run) with my RS500 as well as to obtain SDR BT.2020. I now have purchased a used Panny UHD player. I'm pretty sure that there were prior suggestions in this thread regarding optimal settings for the Panny when utilizing the Integral, but I'm not sure whether these were meant for HDR BT.2020 or SDR BT.2020. I'd really appreciate it if someone here could re-enlighten me about those values. Thanks!!

Custom EDID mode 8 for HDR, mode 10 for SDR BT2020
post #20688 of 31985 Old 02-12-2017, 07:45 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quoted: 1059 Post(s)
Liked: 361
Quote:
Originally Posted by Manni01 View Post
Custom EDID mode 8 for HDR, mode 10 for SDR BT2020
Thanks for your response, but I was inquiring about the optimal settings (brightness, contrast, etc.) on the Panny, not the EDID settings on the Integral. I was also asking whether the recommended Panny settings were meant for HDR BT.2020, SDR BT.2020 or both.
post #20689 of 31985 Old 02-12-2017, 07:46 AM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 227 Post(s)
Liked: 111
Hey Guys,

I loaded the Manni Custom Gamma 1

My Set up With Manni Custom 1 Gamma

Panasonic settings brightness +2

PT ? 12
DL ? 2
BL ? 2

100" Screen 1.3 Gain Stewart StudioTek
Projector is in Low Lamp
Iris is @ -5 120 Nits
HDMI Level Standard

Picture Settings:
Color 0
Tint 0
Brightness 0 As per Masciolas Patterns (Way to Dark)
Contrast 0 Clipping @ 1200 Nits As Per Masciolas Patterns.

Original Settings for Gamma D
PT 12
DL 2
BL 2

Panasonic Setting all default

Projector is in Low Lamp
Iris is @ -5 120 Nits
HDMI Level Super White

Picture Settings:
Color 0
Tint0
Brightness +8 As per Masciolas Patterns (Looks good but black floor is to high With Brightness set @+8 on the JVC)

I think I might have to settle with these setting.
Any luck with the other custom gamma?
post #20690 of 31985 Old 02-12-2017, 08:05 AM

Liked: 48
Stupid question, and I hope this is the right place for the stupid question... I was convinced I was getting Sony 365es but now I'm having serious doubts as I absolutely love deep blacks. One thing that may push me to buy the 750R is if I don't have to upgrade my receiver. With the Sony, if if want the 4k and want to use my receiver for switching, I have to upgrade. Will a Pioneer Elite 94thx with HDMI 1.3a be able to take advantage of everything the JVC 750R has to offer or will I still need to upgrade my receiver with this projector as well?

I'm at the critical stage, wiring for projector is going in on Wednesday and I still don't have a projector picked out!
post #20691 of 31985 Old 02-12-2017, 08:14 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quoted: 1638 Post(s)
Liked: 499
Quote:
Originally Posted by HTMatrix View Post
Stupid question, and I hope this is the right place for the stupid question... I was convinced I was getting Sony 365es but now I'm having serious doubts as I absolutely love deep blacks. One thing that may push me to buy the 750R is if I don't have to upgrade my receiver. With the Sony, if if want the 4k and want to use my receiver for switching, I have to upgrade. Will a Pioneer Elite 94thx with HDMI 1.3a be able to take advantage of everything the JVC 750R has to offer or will I still need to upgrade my receiver with this projector as well?

I'm at the critical stage, wiring for projector is going in on Wednesday and I still don't have a projector picked out!
You will need HDMI 2.0 at 18 gb/s to take full advantage of 4k UHD

Video:JVC N7 Sony 85” 900F Sony 55” 900F
Audio: Paradigm Prestige 95, 55C, 15b Dual JL Audio D110
Receiver/Amp: Anthem 1120, Emotiva XPA-5 Gen 2
Source: Panasonic UB820
Triple black velvet bat cave
post #20692 of 31985 Old 02-12-2017, 08:46 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

If you are successfully selecting the custom imported gamma you could never choose PT or DL or BL. They are disabled when using the custom imported gamma.

Once you get that sorted, you may want to go high lamp and open the iris more, put the Panasonic at default, and then check test patterns.

Quote:
Originally Posted by DVD MAN View Post
Hey Guys,

I loaded the Manni Custom Gamma 1

My Set up With Manni Custom 1 Gamma

Panasonic settings brightness +2

PT ? 12
DL ? 2
BL ? 2

Projector is in Low Lamp
Iris is @ -5 120 Nits
HDMI Level Standard

Picture Settings:
Color 0
Tint 0
Brightness 0 As per Masciolas Patterns (Way to Dark)

Original Settings for Gamma D
PT 12
DL 2
BL 2

Panasonic Setting all default

Projector is in Low Lamp
Iris is @ -5 120 Nits
HDMI Level Super White

Picture Settings:
Color 0
Tint0
Brightness +8 As per Masciolas Patterns (Looks good but black floor is to high With Brightness set @+8 on the JVC)

I think I might have to settle with these setting.
Any luck with the other custom gamma?
stevenjw, asharma and atabea like this.
post #20693 of 31985 Old 02-12-2017, 08:58 AM
AVS Forum Addicted Member

Mentioned: 159 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 5236 Post(s)
Liked: 5488
Quote:
Originally Posted by alebonau View Post
I have mentioned before I think how The Shallows on UHD looked simply stunning. Well...... I have have simply been BLOWN away this afternoon. We watched Secret life of pets on uhd blu-ray this afternoon !

I have not seen as stunning as pics, detail, PQ colours etc as this ever. simply stunning. the detail in images. the depth of colour, shades etc that the jvc refers something beautifully using HDR

this really is an amazing display of what UHD blu-ray can do. even just the detail on noses. the eyes of the snakes that are bars at the sewers. the autumn trees. the clarity of everything. in the age of blu-ray animations like toy story and bugs life were amazing with this kind of thing. uhd blu-ray has taken to quite another level !!!!!

to add to this is a lovely atmos track which is quite room filling great experience
I have to stop double dipping on these UHD/3D titles.. I always end up preferring the 3D especially on the animations because they put a lot of effort into the depth / pop outs. Agreed though, this is a great looking UHD disk.

regarding the recent discussion of the color saturation on Gamma D vs. Manni's curve, I always found Gamma D to look completely overcooked. I just run the color @ +5 for now and overall a significantly better experience than any possible Gamma D combo.

If Chad mentioned that the new 2017 series has a better 'Gamma D', JVC should really just update this with something better so that gen-pop who owns the 400/500/600 can have a better out of the box experience. It's extremely unlikely any of hardware changes for the low lag have anything to do with the update HDR Gamma.

This is a revival for HDR on the 2016 series and finally looking forward to re-visiting my UHD collection without the SDR conversion.

post #20694 of 31985 Old 02-12-2017, 10:06 AM

Liked: 14
Could anybody give me a hint on what's the problem with the sound? Thank you too much in advance.
post #20695 of 31985 Old 02-12-2017, 10:06 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quoted: 753 Post(s)
Liked: 639
Quote:
Originally Posted by Manni01 View Post
Great to hear

I know you've aimed for clipping at 1000nits, now that I'm using a softer roll-off which doesn't seem to cost much in terms of overall picture brightness I might try this in my next attempt, that might help with color saturation. That's a multiplier of 5 for me, it might help those with a larger screen / less gain.
I really hope and pray that you do a custom 1,000 nit clip point curve as most folks operate larger screens with less gain.
stevenjw likes this.
post #20696 of 31985 Old 02-12-2017, 10:22 AM
AVS Forum Addicted Member

Mentioned: 232 Post(s)
Quoted: 11817 Post(s)
Liked: 9352
Send a message via Skype™ to Mike Garrett
Quote:
Originally Posted by HTMatrix View Post

Quote:
Originally Posted by asharma View Post
You will need HDMI 2.0 at 18 gb/s to take full advantage of 4k UHD

Or run an HDMI cable direct from UHD player to projector and second HDMI cable from UHD player to AVR for audio.
post #20697 of 31985 Old 02-12-2017, 10:30 AM
AVS Forum Club Gold

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 362 Post(s)
Liked: 302
Quote:

GammaD: Just judging by these pictures, GammaD curve does not have enough contrast in the MTO Mid-Tone area ... indicative of the darkness of Dead Pool's chest and its dark drab Red color. GammaD curve does have the right contrast in MTO highlights for the blue sky and white clouds ... indicative of the vibrancy of the blue and the bright white clouds.

MCust1: It's just the opposite for MCust1 curve ... Good contrast in MTO mid-tones because the picture is bright enough, clear enough and the red sat looks somewhat vibrant (better than GammaD's). However, MCust1's CR is too high in the MTO highlights ... indicative of the lack of vibrant blue skies and duller and drab looking white clouds.

JVC GammaD is really weak in MTO Shadows and MTO mid-tones, fixing that would made a huge improvement with darker 4K HDR movies for 100nits Ypeak rigs. Tweaked rigs at 215nits don't see the dark MTO shadows issues that 95% of us do with our rigs in darker movies. A special curve for 4K HDR Projector rigs at lower Ypeak values is needed ... especially in MTO Shadows and MTO Mid-Tones. This special curve is no different than the traditional 2K SDR projector scenario where the bulb is not bright enough so we change Gamma from a darker G2.4 curve to a brighter G2.2 curve.
mavang likes this.
post #20698 of 31985 Old 02-12-2017, 10:32 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
OK, I did some more testing with Manni's latest 3000 nit roll-off curve. I'd really appreciate it if someone with an HTPC and similar screen size/gain can verify what I'm seeing (which is excellent BTW after dialing in CR/BR in the JVC using test clips). My screen is 2.35:1 Carada BW real 1.1 gain with JVC in High Lamp set to BT.2020 HDR, lens -5, and Custom3 = Manni's 3000 nit curve.
Anyone out there with a similar screen size/gain/bat cave and Ray M's UHD test patterns that is trying Manni's latest Gamma curves? If you have the test clips, a screen size of 120" to 140", and have loaded (very easy to do) and testing any of Manni's gamma curves (all the same except for top end roll-off), could you please post your CR/BR settings in the JVC, leaving the settings in you player at zero/default? Please!

Someone else out there has to have a large screen and the test patterns. Anyone? Thanks!

...Steve

My HT gear
post #20699 of 31985 Old 02-12-2017, 10:41 AM
AVS Forum Club Gold

Quote:
Anyone out there with a similar screen size/gain/bat cave and Ray M's UHD test patterns that is trying Manni's latest Gamma curves? If you have the test clips, a screen size of 120" to 140", and have loaded (very easy to do) and testing any of Manni's gamma curves (all the same except for top end roll-off), could you please post your CR/BR settings in the JVC, leaving the settings in you player at zero/default? Please!

Someone else out there has to have a large screen and the test patterns. Anyone? Thanks!

I'm not htpc. OPPO203--->RS600--->Alens--->FireHawkSST Gain1.1, 104"Width, 2.35 scope, 100nits Ypeak, 0.0018nits Y0%.

MCust1:
RS600: Red700nits, WGB1200nits, CR-1 BR+25
OPPO: zero'd out (always!).
stevenjw likes this.
post #20700 of 31985 Old 02-12-2017, 11:05 AM
AVS Forum Club Gold

One of the reasons BR+25 is used with the MCust1 curve is because the curve's color space at 5% is very small. This is due to CR being too small in the MTO shadows and rendering BR rather ineffective in adding brightness to the shadows. Although blk is at 0.0018nits, it is at 3.5% blk marciola clipping which is indicative of a small color space at Y5%. That short gray line is the size of the color space at Y5%.

Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	MCust1 Y5% color space is tiny.jpg
Views:	491
Size:	90.1 KB
ID:	1961969  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply Digital Hi-End Projectors - $3,000+ USD MSRP

Tags
jvc-rs500u synch/display issue? , RS600

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version