Official JVC RS600 / RS500 (X950R / X750R - X9000 / X7000) Owners Thread - Page 810 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 
 84694Likes
Reply
 
Thread Tools
post #24271 of 31987 Old 05-07-2017, 08:00 AM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
sonichart's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2002
Location: East Dundee, IL
Posts: 1,121
Mentioned: 24 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 689 Post(s)
Liked: 583
Quote:
Originally Posted by krichter1 View Post
Fools gold my brutha but... as long as YOU think so and it looks good... Who cares who's technically correct!

BTW... who is this Chad B of which you speak??

Perhaps, but keep in mind I'm also using a HTPC to scale 1080p to 4K via MadVr. I have noticed that the native motion when displaying content via MadVR (no motion or smoothing treatments being done) is slightly better than that of displaying Lucy in UHD. I should have you and Tom over after next weekend and see if you can pick out the difference between HDR , SDR2020 , and MadVR scaling.

I should probably try testing out some scenes in both modes to see if what I'm seeing is legit or just more of the fools gold.

The sound is just out of this world right now--I didn't think it could be this good.
Tom Bley and krichter1 like this.

JVC RS600 ¤ 130" Wide Seymour XD 2.35:1
Denon x4200 ¤ Onkyo M5010 ¤ iNuke 3000 ¤ 7.2.2
HTPC GTX1080 + MadVR is my master now ¤ Zidoo X8
sonichart is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #24272 of 31987 Old 05-07-2017, 10:45 AM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
asharma's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2007
Location: Canada
Posts: 2,030
Mentioned: 14 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1639 Post(s)
Liked: 499
Quote:
Originally Posted by sonichart View Post
I don't think CMS is even enabled, but I'm not a pro at this stuff and don't want to speak for Chad's work. I will take a look at things when we watch a movie later today.

I think the magic in his special sauce is they creates a custom Rec709 color profile and named it PK709 (best two initials on the planet). It is custom crafted for my setup & projector.

edit: here's the report. To my untrained eye, the 2D Low profile was WAY off.

Attachment 2122025
Awesome charts man...can anyone comment on what else Chad works on (ie. tweaks) besides gamma to get everything lined up?

Video:JVC N7 Sony 85” 900F Sony 55” 900F
Audio: Paradigm Prestige 95, 55C, 15b Dual JL Audio D110
Receiver/Amp: Anthem 1120, Emotiva XPA-5 Gen 2
Source: Panasonic UB820
Triple black velvet bat cave
asharma is online now  
post #24273 of 31987 Old 05-07-2017, 11:14 AM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
sonichart's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2002
Location: East Dundee, IL
Posts: 1,121
Mentioned: 24 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 689 Post(s)
Liked: 583
Quote:
Originally Posted by asharma View Post
Awesome charts man...can anyone comment on what else Chad works on (ie. tweaks) besides gamma to get everything lined up?
I personally just let him in the theater, got him a beverage and left him alone to perform the calibration. If you look at the last page of the report, you can see he really didn't change much on color-wise-- I think it all comes from the custom REC709 profile he created and imported to my setup.

Time for some Force Awakens in 2D/4K with the ChadB approved PK709 color profille

shoutout to @krichter1 for the hockey tape hack!!

Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_20170507_125454.jpg
Views:	100
Size:	81.0 KB
ID:	2122825
krichter1 likes this.

JVC RS600 ¤ 130" Wide Seymour XD 2.35:1
Denon x4200 ¤ Onkyo M5010 ¤ iNuke 3000 ¤ 7.2.2
HTPC GTX1080 + MadVR is my master now ¤ Zidoo X8
sonichart is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #24274 of 31987 Old 05-07-2017, 11:16 AM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
asharma's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2007
Location: Canada
Posts: 2,030
Mentioned: 14 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1639 Post(s)
Liked: 499
Quote:
Originally Posted by sonichart View Post
I personally just let him in the theater, got him a beverage and left him alone to perform the calibration. If you look at the last page of the report, you can see he really didn't change much on color-wise-- I think it all comes from the custom REC709 profile he created and imported to my setup.

Time for some Force Awakens in 2D/4K with the ChadB approved PK709 color profille

shoutout to @krichter1 for the hockey tape hack!!

Attachment 2122825
What the hec is the hockey tape hack???

Video:JVC N7 Sony 85” 900F Sony 55” 900F
Audio: Paradigm Prestige 95, 55C, 15b Dual JL Audio D110
Receiver/Amp: Anthem 1120, Emotiva XPA-5 Gen 2
Source: Panasonic UB820
Triple black velvet bat cave
asharma is online now  
post #24275 of 31987 Old 05-07-2017, 11:43 AM
AVS Forum Addicted Member
 
Mike Garrett's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2011
Posts: 25,564
Mentioned: 232 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 11825 Post(s)
Liked: 9357
Send a message via Skype™ to Mike Garrett
Quote:
Originally Posted by sonichart View Post
I personally just let him in the theater, got him a beverage and left him alone to perform the calibration. If you look at the last page of the report, you can see he really didn't change much on color-wise-- I think it all comes from the custom REC709 profile he created and imported to my setup.

Time for some Force Awakens in 2D/4K with the ChadB approved PK709 color profille

shoutout to @krichter1 for the hockey tape hack!!

Attachment 2122825
One of my requirements when shopping for powered theater chairs was no lights or LED's. So I definitely did not go with the optional lighted foot well or lighted cup holder. So when fades to black happen, I just don't try to eat or drink during them, because you can't see a darn thing.
Mike Garrett is online now  
post #24276 of 31987 Old 05-07-2017, 11:44 AM
AVS Forum Addicted Member
 
Mike Garrett's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2011
Posts: 25,564
Mentioned: 232 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 11825 Post(s)
Liked: 9357
Send a message via Skype™ to Mike Garrett
Quote:
Originally Posted by asharma View Post
What the hec is the hockey tape hack???
Look at his picture. He is covering the LED's on his powered theater chair.
Mike Garrett is online now  
post #24277 of 31987 Old 05-07-2017, 11:51 AM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
asharma's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2007
Location: Canada
Posts: 2,030
Mentioned: 14 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1639 Post(s)
Liked: 499
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike Garrett View Post
Look at his picture. He is covering the LED's on his powered theater chair.
Thanks Mike, yes I did look at the pic Sir...it really looked like a lens to me

Speaking of pj lenses, is there a hack to fix a squeaky lens cover upon open and close on a 950?

Video:JVC N7 Sony 85” 900F Sony 55” 900F
Audio: Paradigm Prestige 95, 55C, 15b Dual JL Audio D110
Receiver/Amp: Anthem 1120, Emotiva XPA-5 Gen 2
Source: Panasonic UB820
Triple black velvet bat cave
asharma is online now  
post #24278 of 31987 Old 05-07-2017, 11:59 AM
AVS Forum Addicted Member
 
Mike Garrett's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2011
Posts: 25,564
Mentioned: 232 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 11825 Post(s)
Liked: 9357
Send a message via Skype™ to Mike Garrett
Quote:
Originally Posted by asharma View Post
Thanks Mike, yes I did look at the pic Sir...it really looked like a lens to me

Speaking of pj lenses, is there a hack to fix a squeaky lens cover upon open and close on a 950?
If you can apply some grease, that will not hurt plastic. I believe lithium grease would work. You could also use parifin, if you could get it in place.
Mike Garrett is online now  
post #24279 of 31987 Old 05-07-2017, 12:04 PM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
asharma's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2007
Location: Canada
Posts: 2,030
Mentioned: 14 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1639 Post(s)
Liked: 499
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike Garrett View Post
If you can apply some grease, that will not hurt plastic. I believe lithium grease would work. You could also use parifin, if you could get it in place.
Thanks Mike, where precisely would I apply this? Any sense?

Video:JVC N7 Sony 85” 900F Sony 55” 900F
Audio: Paradigm Prestige 95, 55C, 15b Dual JL Audio D110
Receiver/Amp: Anthem 1120, Emotiva XPA-5 Gen 2
Source: Panasonic UB820
Triple black velvet bat cave
asharma is online now  
post #24280 of 31987 Old 05-07-2017, 12:09 PM
AVS Forum Addicted Member
 
Mike Garrett's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2011
Posts: 25,564
Mentioned: 232 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 11825 Post(s)
Liked: 9357
Send a message via Skype™ to Mike Garrett
Quote:
Originally Posted by asharma View Post
Thanks Mike, where precisely would I apply this? Any sense?
Upper and lower edges of the doors, so that it could carry back into the projector.
asharma likes this.
Mike Garrett is online now  
post #24281 of 31987 Old 05-07-2017, 02:55 PM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
sonichart's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2002
Location: East Dundee, IL
Posts: 1,121
Mentioned: 24 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 689 Post(s)
Liked: 583
Quote:
Originally Posted by asharma View Post
What the hec is the hockey tape hack???
So the power recliner controls are around the drink holder. They are always lit and bug me in my dark room. Tom Bley was talking about Krichters love of hockey tape for oddjobs around the room. The buttons are kinetic and dont need a mechanical press to engage. End result is speaker grill material taped to the chair. Lights just barely peek through now and are no longer intrusive the to viewing experience.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike Garrett View Post
One of my requirements when shopping for powered theater chairs was no lights or LED's. So I definitely did not go with the optional lighted foot well or lighted cup holder. So when fades to black happen, I just don't try to eat or drink during them, because you can't see a darn thing.
If you can believe it, my first trip to a movie theater in years was to see Force Awakens. Before that, I think I saw was I Am Number Four (2011). I fell in love with the dreamliner chair and the idea of reserving seat location. Promised myself i'd go power recline after that. The lightbar only engages when you hit the lightbulb button, which comes in handy at times in the batcave. After spending some time in their showroom auditioning recliners, Karen at HTMarket made us an offer we couldn't refuse.

Just finished watching Force Awakens, man did it look awesome -- don't think i'll ever get tired of watching that. So many feels!
krichter1 and asharma like this.

JVC RS600 ¤ 130" Wide Seymour XD 2.35:1
Denon x4200 ¤ Onkyo M5010 ¤ iNuke 3000 ¤ 7.2.2
HTPC GTX1080 + MadVR is my master now ¤ Zidoo X8
sonichart is offline  
post #24282 of 31987 Old 05-07-2017, 03:53 PM
Senior Member
 
srinivas1015's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Posts: 417
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 355 Post(s)
Liked: 64
Quote:
Originally Posted by cannga View Post
I recently bought B stock RS500 from @Mike Garrett for "dirt cheap" . With true 4k, possibility of cheaper laser, and another horribly messy new HDMI standard looming on the horizon, to me the RS500 is a perfect buy. The projector arrived looking like it has not been used and has 1 legit hour (!!) on the lamp time. Picture quality is fantastic as expected.

Mike and @Craig Peer have both helped me with after purchase questions and requests. Mike emailed me the 3 Manni's curves that are now preloaded in AVS JVC x00 projectors, just in case I haven't got them yet (turned out I did). Highly recommended, without reservation.

Could you please let me know which Manni curves they are? There are many on the front page. I'm currently using the Dolby Vision one.

Is there one for 1000nits blu-rays like The Shallows?
srinivas1015 is offline  
post #24283 of 31987 Old 05-07-2017, 04:33 PM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
Tom Bley's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2001
Location: IL. USA
Posts: 3,401
Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 909 Post(s)
Liked: 865
Quote:
Originally Posted by sonichart View Post
So the power recliner controls are around the drink holder. They are always lit and bug me in my dark room. Tom Bley was talking about Krichters love of hockey tape for oddjobs around the room. The buttons are kinetic and dont need a mechanical press to engage. End result is speaker grill material taped to the chair. Lights just barely peek through now and are no longer intrusive the to viewing experience.



If you can believe it, my first trip to a movie theater in years was to see Force Awakens. Before that, I think I saw was I Am Number Four (2011). I fell in love with the dreamliner chair and the idea of reserving seat location. Promised myself i'd go power recline after that. The lightbar only engages when you hit the lightbulb button, which comes in handy at times in the batcave. After spending some time in their showroom auditioning recliners, Karen at HTMarket made us an offer we couldn't refuse.

Just finished watching Force Awakens, man did it look awesome -- don't think i'll ever get tired of watching that. So many feels!
Actually, Kevin likes Fraud tape for odd jobs like taping up screen samples.

The last movie I saw in a theater was 2005. It was a midnite showing of SW Revenge of the Sith.
sonichart and krichter1 like this.
Tom Bley is online now  
post #24284 of 31987 Old 05-07-2017, 04:39 PM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
cannga's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2001
Location: Palos Verdes - Lakers Land
Posts: 3,369
Mentioned: 72 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1862 Post(s)
Liked: 1825
@srinivas1015 , The 3 Manni's curves are the same as the attachment at the very bottom of the first post of Manni's Calibration Thread HERE.

I recently bought RS500 and to put it mildly was overwhelmed with the info available. While the 2 JVCx00 threads are incredibly helpful and complete (thanks Manni et al.), I was hoping for specific instructions for newbie type like me and couldn't find any. So here is my attempt to "give back"; anyone please correct as needed as I am no expert. I will edit and update as needed.

Prelim thoughts: Although I don't know much about video calibration, I am an off-the-chart nutty shutterbug and spend hours upon hours adjusting my travel pictures (about 4000 shots each trip & several trips over last 15-20 years) in raw format, from color temp, to levels, brightness, sharpness etc.; IOW I think I have a reasonable appreciation of image evaluation. For my system, using the generic Manni curves, the best saturation and pq I see with HDR UHD using Deep Water Horizon, with Oppo 203 to JVC RS500, on 8 ft wide Stewart Greyhawk, is either with:
1. SDR 2020
2. HDR 2020 using Manni's 600 curve, high lamp, contrast +4, brightness +2.
Curiously I have observed that in my system, using the High Lamp mode actually affects color and color saturation (better/more saturated to my eyes). It shouldn't, but that's what I see with the tested movie. (To document and compare color & saturatioin changes with the 3 Manni curves in my system, I actually took and examined pictures taken with manual exposure AND white balance setting, in raw format.)


Manni's Curves for Dummies in less than 10 steps: while waiting for Chad B LOL. Kidding aside the picture in all modes is now spectacular to my eyes: saturated, bright, great contrast. It "pops." I am so glad I've chosen the RS500 as it saves a chunk of money over RS520. IMHO RS500 is a good move with true 4k, cheaper laser, next messy HDMI standard, etc. all looming.
1. Load JVC Auto Calibration software into computer http://www3.jvckenwood.com/english/d...ationsoft.html
2. Connect JVC directly to computer with Cat 5 cable (the alternative method of connecting JVC to home network didn't work for me), follow *exact* instruction for manual setting of internet address here: http://www3.jvckenwood.com/english/d...e_en_v1_00.pdf
3. Import BT.2020 Color Profile from here http://www3.jvckenwood.com/english/d...rs400_uhd.html ***Important***: if you laptop has wireless network adapter - turn it off during the import process (done through the Cat 5 cable).
4. Import the 3 Manni's Curves, which is the very bottom attachment on the very first post of Manni's Calibration Thread HERE - they will be loaded as Custom 1, 2, 3 in the JVC. 600 is brightest, 1100 is darkest.
5. Click Info on JVC Remote, go to Picture Adjust, select picture mode "User 1" (could click on User Name Edit if you want to change name to HDR or whatever).
6. Set Gamma to one of the Custom 1, 2, or 3 gamma curves (the 3 Manni's curves).
7. *Don't forget this** On same screen, set "Correction Value" to "Import"
8. Set Color Profile to BT.2020
9. Just remember every time you load and HDR UHD disc, you need to do 2 clicks: first click for picture mode "User 1" (or whatever name you changed it to), and second click to change Gamma from D to "Custom 1". If you don't want to have to do the second click, then use the next step below, adding HDFury Linker.


HDFury Linker for Dummies in 5 steps if anyone is interested.
1. Download driver, called Silabs and in rar format, and install in your computer. The manual is here https://www.hdfury.com/docs/HDfuryLinker.pdf and the driver is here http://www.hdfurylinker.com/download/
2. Download the combined Firmware Updater and Linker's Graphic User Interface file from the same download page; this is the program file with the word NEW in red next to it.
3. Connect Linker to computer with USB cable, click on this program "LINKER-MCU-v0.20.exe," then click on "update" to update firmware.
4. ***Most important step***: Start the GUI program "LINKER_GUI_0.19.exe," then on the second tab labeled HDR/AVI, click on that little square that says "Disable HDR", then click on "Send HDR" to send the new setting to the Linker. You are essentially stripping the HDR flag from the video signal that the projector is receiving.
5. There is a little button on the side of Linker, slide it to the "SINK EDID" position - this works for my system. In case you are wondering SINK is the darn technical slang for the darn display (that's all!) so SINK EDID just means HDFury Linker sends signal appropriate for the display (SINK), which is my JVC RS500. (There are Custom EDID 2 also, but SINK EDID works for me and is simplest.) That's it: Oppo 203 to Linker, Linker to HDMI 1 of JVC RS500. Blue Jeans cable is best copper HDMI (35 ft works for me), whereas Ruipro and Monoprice fiberoptic have got good reports for longer lengths.

***With HDFury now installed, you only need one click to view HDR UHD movies, to picture mode "User 1." The second click to switch out of Gamma D is no longer necessary. Why? In step 4 above, basically you are playing a trick on your JVC projector, telling it: "I am not sending you HDR (even though you are), don't switch me to Gamma D, keep using my preset Manni's Gamma curve."
***Besides eliminating the need to do that second click, having the HDFury Linker in the chain now allows you to change the setting for Iris (under JVC Picture Adjust menu) to "Auto," which is Dynamic Iris. Without Linker, the only choice you have is Manual, meaning no Dynamic Iris.


Converting HDR.2020 to SDR.2020 for Dummies in 2 steps. No time at all. :-)
This mode allows you to play HDR (High Dynamic Range) UHD disc as SDR (Standard Dynamic Range) UHD.
1. In Oppo 203, click Setup, then go to Video Setting, then to HDR tab, click on "Strip Metadata." Remember you have to switch this back to Auto if you are going to use Manni's HDR gamma curve.
2. In JVC, click "Info" then "Picture Adjust" and then User Mode 2 or whatever number (may change this name to SDR 2020 for example), set Color profile to BT.2020 that you downloaded above, set everything else to zero, neutral, standard, and slide the slides to the left.
Amazingly enough, that is actually *it*. This mode has beautiful color, saturation, contrast without much adjustment. I actually take screen shot of this mode and use it as a standard and to compare my various Manni Curve's adjustments.
rboster, guptown, Frank D and 8 others like this.

Regards, Can
My System & Theta Casablanca Mini-Review (CB IVa setup help HERE) Uncontrolled passion for music, and sound.
Interesting Audio Diagrams :-) & High-End Speaker Reviews
JTR Subwoofer Thread I don't always listen to subwoofers, but when I do, it's JTR :-).

Last edited by cannga; 05-09-2017 at 02:47 PM.
cannga is offline  
post #24285 of 31987 Old 05-07-2017, 07:52 PM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
krichter1's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2002
Location: Earth (most days!)
Posts: 5,175
Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2096 Post(s)
Liked: 2365
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tom Bley View Post
Actually, Kevin likes Fraud tape for odd jobs like taping up screen samples.

The last movie I saw in a theater was 2005. It was a midnite showing of SW Revenge of the Sith.
We just went and saw Guardians 2 in 3D IMAX... awesome!.


Kevin

You only live once, but if you live it right, once is enough.
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~


==> Our 4K/3D Immersive Theater
krichter1 is offline  
post #24286 of 31987 Old 05-07-2017, 10:36 PM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
stevenjw's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2001
Location: Palm Coast, Florida, USA
Posts: 2,938
Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 635 Post(s)
Liked: 829
Loved GotG 1, best movie of 2015. Will see 2 with the Mrs. during a matinee this week to avoid crowds. Also looking forward to Alien Covenant later this month and then Valerian and the City of a Thousand Planets. Great year for movies with Blade Runner 2049 and Star Wars 8 too. Don't go to the theater much, but sometimes you just have to see it in Imax 3D. Last one was Ghost in the Shell. Like I said, great year for SciFi movies. Never enough of them.
sonichart, krichter1 and Ximori like this.

...Steve
"Opinions are like orgasms… mine matters most and I really don’t care if you have one or not." ;)
 
My HT gear
stevenjw is offline  
post #24287 of 31987 Old 05-08-2017, 05:42 AM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
Aztar35's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2016
Posts: 2,866
Mentioned: 28 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2284 Post(s)
Liked: 1208
Quote:
Originally Posted by cannga View Post
@srinivas1015 ,
HDFury Linker for Dummies in 5 steps if anyone is interested.
With HDFury now installed, you only need one click to view HDR UHD movies, to picture mode "User 1." The second click to switch out of Gamma D is no longer necessary. Why? In step 4 above, basically you are playing a trick on your JVC projector, telling it: "I am not sending you HDR (even though you are), don't switch me to Gamma D, keep using my preset Manni's Gamma curve."
Thanks. I'm sure this was posted a while back, but I don't recall where to find it now. So, how would I use the Linker to allow my dynamic (auto) iris to operate while the source is displaying HDR?
Aztar35 is offline  
post #24288 of 31987 Old 05-08-2017, 06:47 AM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
sonichart's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2002
Location: East Dundee, IL
Posts: 1,121
Mentioned: 24 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 689 Post(s)
Liked: 583
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tom Bley View Post
Actually, Kevin likes Fraud tape for odd jobs like taping up screen samples.

The last movie I saw in a theater was 2005. It was a midnite showing of SW Revenge of the Sith.
Revenge of the Sith was my favorite prequel. I would have been fine if they junked the first two movies and start with Revenge of the Sith instead... then spend the next two movies showing Darth Vader killing the f*[email protected]#k out of people.

I've seen the Topher Grace edit and it basically does this. The only Episode I remnant is the last battle with Qui'gon, Obiwan, and Darth Maul. The next 30-40 mins is from Attack of the Clones, and the rest Revenge of the Sith.
Tom Bley and Dave Vaughn like this.

JVC RS600 ¤ 130" Wide Seymour XD 2.35:1
Denon x4200 ¤ Onkyo M5010 ¤ iNuke 3000 ¤ 7.2.2
HTPC GTX1080 + MadVR is my master now ¤ Zidoo X8
sonichart is offline  
post #24289 of 31987 Old 05-08-2017, 09:36 AM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
krichter1's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2002
Location: Earth (most days!)
Posts: 5,175
Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2096 Post(s)
Liked: 2365
Quote:
Originally Posted by stevenjw View Post
Loved GotG 1, best movie of 2015. Will see 2 with the Mrs. during a matinee this week to avoid crowds. Also looking forward to Alien Covenant later this month and then Valerian and the City of a Thousand Planets. Great year for movies with Blade Runner 2049 and Star Wars 8 too. Don't go to the theater much, but sometimes you just have to see it in Imax 3D. Last one was Ghost in the Shell. Like I said, great year for SciFi movies. Never enough of them.
Couldn't agree more Steve! Didn't get a chance to see Ghost but I'm happy to see it's also being released in 3D (I Know Jason is too!). I'll have to read up on Valerian too (no clue)!

Kevin

You only live once, but if you live it right, once is enough.
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~


==> Our 4K/3D Immersive Theater
krichter1 is offline  
post #24290 of 31987 Old 05-08-2017, 09:42 AM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
krichter1's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2002
Location: Earth (most days!)
Posts: 5,175
Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2096 Post(s)
Liked: 2365
Quote:
Originally Posted by sonichart View Post
Revenge of the Sith was my favorite prequel. I would have been fine if they junked the first two movies and start with Revenge of the Sith instead... then spend the next two movies showing Darth Vader killing the f*[email protected]#k out of people.

I've seen the Topher Grace edit and it basically does this. The only Episode I remnant is the last battle with Qui'gon, Obiwan, and Darth Maul. The next 30-40 mins is from Attack of the Clones, and the rest Revenge of the Sith.

I love 'em all even tho I know the last set got panned (mostly). Love the pod race & under water scene too in Ep1 (but you can KILL-off JarJar and I'd be good with that!). Sounds great even today!

But the question here is... How'd your Ep7 session go (how good did that look & sound after Darth Chad's visit!?)?

sonichart likes this.

Kevin

You only live once, but if you live it right, once is enough.
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~


==> Our 4K/3D Immersive Theater
krichter1 is offline  
post #24291 of 31987 Old 05-08-2017, 09:44 AM
AVS Forum Addicted Member
 
zombie10k's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Posts: 12,717
Mentioned: 159 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 5238 Post(s)
Liked: 5492
Quote:
Originally Posted by Aztar35 View Post
Thanks. I'm sure this was posted a while back, but I don't recall where to find it now. So, how would I use the Linker to allow my dynamic (auto) iris to operate while the source is displaying HDR?
there is only 1 setting to change (disable below) and it will allow the DI to work in HDR.

zombie10k is online now  
post #24292 of 31987 Old 05-08-2017, 09:58 AM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
sonichart's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2002
Location: East Dundee, IL
Posts: 1,121
Mentioned: 24 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 689 Post(s)
Liked: 583
Quote:
Originally Posted by krichter1 View Post
I love 'em all even tho I know the last set got panned (mostly). Love the pod race & under water scene too in Ep1 (but you can KILL-off JarJar and I'd be good with that!). Sounds great even today!

But the question here is... How'd your Ep7 session go (how good did that look & sound after Darth Chad's visit!?)?

Yea the Pod race scene was cool-- but the movie as a whole was missing something. I could go on about my distaste for those movies, but this probably isn't the appropriate thread. I'll just say this, it was apparent by the end of the middle trilogy that Han and Leia were in love and this was without the whole summer in Naboo that Anakin and Padme had during a majority of Episode II.

Episode 7 look FREAKING AWESOME!!! Even for Rec709, the colors were popping of the screen. Saturated, balanced. I loved it when, during the opening scene, the star destroyer flies past and covers the planet... and all the black detail underneath the star destroyer that really wasn't there before. Chad's calibration has really rekindled my love for upscaled blu-ray. I think the honeymoon is over with Native Motion... it bothered me only a little watching E7. I might go back to Motion Enhance Low/High to see if it improves things.

The sound. It's second to none. It fills the room, bass is loud but not overpowering -- explosions HIT. Gunfire HITS. HIT HIT HIT!!! I think 'Darth Chad' has a great rep for calibrating video, but boy does he make my high efficiency speakers SING.

I am still waiting to receive a CelerityTek fiber cable. Once I have that, I will start doing scene comparisons displayed in HDR and SDR2020 (using strip metadata on the oppo). At which point I will be making a decision on keeping my Linker. Hoping to have that cable before the end of the week.

EDIT: This is the first time I watched Force Awakens and was not bothered by the Rathtar scene. I thought it was pretty cool this time around, the creatures didn't look as fake/cheesy as I remembered. Maybe it was the calibration? But it reminded me of a classic Star Wars fight/escape scene.
rboster and krichter1 like this.

JVC RS600 ¤ 130" Wide Seymour XD 2.35:1
Denon x4200 ¤ Onkyo M5010 ¤ iNuke 3000 ¤ 7.2.2
HTPC GTX1080 + MadVR is my master now ¤ Zidoo X8

Last edited by sonichart; 05-08-2017 at 10:11 AM.
sonichart is offline  
post #24293 of 31987 Old 05-08-2017, 10:00 AM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
Ximori's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2003
Location: Irvine, Ca
Posts: 1,047
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 282 Post(s)
Liked: 180
Quote:
Originally Posted by krichter1 View Post
Couldn't agree more Steve! Didn't get a chance to see Ghost but I'm happy to see it's also being released in 3D (I Know Jason is too!). I'll have to read up on Valerian too (no clue)!

Valerian looks really good, directed by Luc Besson. He should take advantage and plan a Fifth Element II, seems like a perfect time for its 20th Anniversary. Plus he'll get to double-dip for another 7-10 home media versions.
Ximori is offline  
post #24294 of 31987 Old 05-08-2017, 10:09 AM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
stevenjw's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2001
Location: Palm Coast, Florida, USA
Posts: 2,938
Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 635 Post(s)
Liked: 829
Quote:
Originally Posted by krichter1 View Post
Couldn't agree more Steve! Didn't get a chance to see Ghost but I'm happy to see it's also being released in 3D (I Know Jason is too!). I'll have to read up on Valerian too (no clue)!
I saw GitS in IMAX 3D and thought it was lacking. Nothing like Rogue One or Magical Creatures. Perhaps it wasn't actually filmed in 3D, but not sure. Because of that, I'm more interested in the UHD as the details (4K DI) and colors should really look great.

Check out the trailer for Valerian. Amazing eye candy!!! It's a Luc Besson flick, so hoping it's as good as his other efforts: 5th Element, Leon - The Professional, Lucy, etc.
krichter1 and Ximori like this.

...Steve
"Opinions are like orgasms… mine matters most and I really don’t care if you have one or not." ;)
 
My HT gear
stevenjw is offline  
post #24295 of 31987 Old 05-08-2017, 10:48 AM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
cannga's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2001
Location: Palos Verdes - Lakers Land
Posts: 3,369
Mentioned: 72 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1862 Post(s)
Liked: 1825
Quote:
Originally Posted by Aztar35 View Post
Thanks. I'm sure this was posted a while back, but I don't recall where to find it now. So, how would I use the Linker to allow my dynamic (auto) iris to operate while the source is displaying HDR?
Nothing more to do. Guaranteed to be a 9 step procedure, not 10.

Just make sure that you change the Iris setting in of Picture Mode User 1 (or whatever name you changed that to) to Auto, from Manual.

BTW pardon me if this is old news or simply me not getting it right LOL, but unlike the JVC Remote, the Harmony Elite allows direct access to each of the 6 Picture Modes (User 1 to 6), so for example you could go from User 1 to User 5 directly and not having to cycle through 1-2-3-4.

Regards, Can
My System & Theta Casablanca Mini-Review (CB IVa setup help HERE) Uncontrolled passion for music, and sound.
Interesting Audio Diagrams :-) & High-End Speaker Reviews
JTR Subwoofer Thread I don't always listen to subwoofers, but when I do, it's JTR :-).
cannga is offline  
post #24296 of 31987 Old 05-08-2017, 12:16 PM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
Aztar35's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2016
Posts: 2,866
Mentioned: 28 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2284 Post(s)
Liked: 1208
Quote:
Originally Posted by zombie10k View Post
there is only 1 setting to change (disable below) and it will allow the DI to work in HDR.
I much appreciate it. I've read on here some saying the iris sometimes gets stuck with HDR showing; is that something I should expect going through the Linker algorithm or was that just a fluke?

Also, can I have both the Integral and the Linker in the chain without the images looking processed?


Quote:
Originally Posted by cannga View Post

Just make sure that you change the Iris setting in of Picture Mode User 1 (or whatever name you changed that to) to Auto, from Manual.

BTW pardon me if this is old news or simply me not getting it right LOL, but unlike the JVC Remote, the Harmony Elite allows direct access to each of the 6 Picture Modes (User 1 to 6), so for example you could go from User 1 to User 5 directly and not having to cycle through 1-2-3-4.

Thanks, Cannga.

Oh, and no worries...that's good to know about the Harmony remote.

Yeah, I never used my X750 with the Linker, so thanks for your help there. About the iris action, I will add that this isn't my first rodeo with this projector; for me, at first, using Auto 2 looked great in terms of having a real invisible iris, but then using Auto 1 showed a sharper picture, with only a rare and even then the slightest hint of pumping on rolling credits on a black background. So, I leave mine in auto 1 now.
Aztar35 is offline  
post #24297 of 31987 Old 05-08-2017, 01:35 PM
AVS Forum Addicted Member
 
Craig Peer's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2003
Location: Sacramento, CA
Posts: 15,789
Mentioned: 106 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 6619 Post(s)
Liked: 7691
Quote:
Originally Posted by stevenjw View Post
I saw GitS in IMAX 3D and thought it was lacking. Nothing like Rogue One or Magical Creatures. Perhaps it wasn't actually filmed in 3D, but not sure. Because of that, I'm more interested in the UHD as the details (4K DI) and colors should really look great.

Check out the trailer for Valerian. Amazing eye candy!!! It's a Luc Besson flick, so hoping it's as good as his other efforts: 5th Element, Leon - The Professional, Lucy, etc.
It looks to be a damn good year for movies for our home theaters - Valerian is one I'm looking forward to. And seeing what they can do with The Fifth Element on 4K UHD BR !
stevenjw likes this.
Craig Peer is offline  
post #24298 of 31987 Old 05-08-2017, 02:06 PM
Senior Member
 
srinivas1015's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Posts: 417
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 355 Post(s)
Liked: 64
Quote:
Originally Posted by cannga View Post
@srinivas1015 , The 3 Manni's curves are the same as the attachment at the very bottom of the first post of Manni's Calibration Thread HERE.

I recently bought RS500 and to put it mildly was overwhelmed with the info available. While the 2 JVCx00 threads are incredibly helpful and complete (thanks Manni et al.), I was hoping for specific instructions for newbie type like me and couldn't find any. So here is my attempt to "give back"; anyone please correct as needed as I am no expert. I will edit and update as needed.

Prelim thoughts: Although I don't know much about video calibration, I am an off-the-chart nutty shutterbug and spend hours upon hours adjusting my travel pictures (about 4000 shots each trip & several trips over last 15-20 years) in raw format, from color temp, to levels, brightness, sharpness etc.; IOW I think I have a reasonable appreciation of image evaluation. For my system, using the generic Manni curves, the best saturation and pq I see with HDR UHD using Deep Water Horizon, with Oppo 203 to JVC RS500, on 8 ft wide Stewart Greyhawk, is either with:
1. SDR 2020
2. HDR 2020 using Manni's 600 curve, high lamp, contrast +4, brightness +2.
Curiously I have observed that in my system, using the High Lamp mode actually affects color and color saturation (better/more saturated to my eyes). It shouldn't, but that's what I see with the tested movie. (To document and compare color & saturatioin changes with the 3 Manni curves in my system, I actually took and examined pictures taken with manual exposure AND white balance setting, in raw format.)


Manni's Curves for Dummies in less than 10 steps: while waiting for Chad B LOL. Kidding aside the picture in all modes is now spectacular to my eyes: saturated, bright, great contrast. It "pops." I am so glad I've chosen the RS500 as it saves a chunk of money over RS520. IMHO RS500 is a good move with true 4k, cheaper laser, next messy HDMI standard, etc. all looming.
1. Load JVC Auto Calibration software into computer http://www3.jvckenwood.com/english/d...ationsoft.html
2. Connect JVC directly to computer with Cat 5 cable (the alternative method of connecting JVC to home network didn't work for me), follow *exact* instruction for manual setting of internet address here: http://www3.jvckenwood.com/english/d...e_en_v1_00.pdf
3. Import BT.2020 Color Profile from here http://www3.jvckenwood.com/english/d...rs400_uhd.html
4. Import the 3 Manni's Curves, which is the very bottom attachment on the very first post of Manni's Calibration Thread HERE - they will be loaded as Custom 1, 2, 3 in the JVC. 600 is brightest, 1100 is darkest.
5. Click Info on JVC Remote, go to Picture Adjust, select picture mode "User 1" (could click on User Name Edit if you want to change name to HDR or whatever).
6. Set Gamma to one of the Custom 1, 2, or 3 gamma curves (the 3 Manni's curves).
7. *Don't forget this** On same screen, set "Correction Value" to "Import"
8. Set Color Profile to BT.2020
9. Just remember every time you load and HDR UHD disc, you need to do 2 clicks: first click for picture mode "User 1" (or whatever name you changed it to), and second click to change Gamma from D to "Custom 1". If you don't want to have to do the second click, then use the next step below, adding HDFury Linker.


HDFury Linker for Dummies in 5 steps if anyone is interested.
1. Download driver, called Silabs and in rar format, and install in your computer. The manual is here https://www.hdfury.com/docs/HDfuryLinker.pdf and the driver is here http://www.hdfurylinker.com/download/
2. Download the combined Firmware Updater and Linker's Graphic User Interface file from the same download page; this is the program file with the word NEW in red next to it.
3. Connect Linker to computer with USB cable, click on this program "LINKER-MCU-v0.20.exe," then click on "update" to update firmware.
4. ***Most important step***: Start the GUI program "LINKER_GUI_0.19.exe," then on the second tab labeled HDR/AVI, click on that little square that says "Disable HDR", then click on "Send HDR" to send the new setting to the Linker. You are essentially stripping the HDR flag from the video signal that the projector is receiving.
5. There is a little button on the side of Linker, slide it to the "SINK EDID" position - this works for my system. In case you are wondering SINK is the darn technical slang for the darn display (that's all!) so SINK EDID just means HDFury Linker sends signal appropriate for the display (SINK), which is my JVC RS500. (There are Custom EDID 2 also, but SINK EDID works for me and is simplest.) That's it: Oppo 203 to Linker, Linker to HDMI 1 of JVC RS500. Blue Jeans cable is best copper HDMI (35 ft works for me), whereas Ruipro and Monoprice fiberoptic have got good reports for longer lengths.

***With HDFury now installed, you only need one click to view HDR UHD movies, to picture mode "User 1." The second click to switch out of Gamma D is no longer necessary. Why? In step 4 above, basically you are playing a trick on your JVC projector, telling it: "I am not sending you HDR (even though you are), don't switch me to Gamma D, keep using my preset Manni's Gamma curve."
***Besides eliminating the need to do that second click, having the HDFury Linker in the chain now allows you to change the setting for Iris (under JVC Picture Adjust menu) to "Auto," which is Dynamic Iris. Without Linker, the only choice you have is Manual, meaning no Dynamic Iris.


Converting HDR.2020 to SDR.2020 for Dummies in 2 steps. No time at all. :-)
This mode allows you to play HDR (High Dynamic Range) UHD disc as SDR (Standard Dynamic Range) UHD.
1. In Oppo 203, click Setup, then go to Video Setting, then to HDR tab, click on "Strip Metadata." Remember you have to switch this back to Auto if you are going to use Manni's HDR gamma curve.
2. In JVC, click "Info" then "Picture Adjust" and then User Mode 2 or whatever number (may change this name to SDR 2020 for example), set Color profile to BT.2020 that you downloaded above, set everything else to zero, neutral, standard, and slide the slides to the left.
Amazingly enough, that is actually *it*. This mode has beautiful color, saturation, contrast without much adjustment. I actually take screen shot of this mode and use it as a standard and to compare my various Manni Curve's adjustments.

This is a very detailed response, thank you very much!
A link to this post should actually be added to the front page of the Calibration Thread.

Just two more questions:

1) What do you set the bit depth and color space to? My cable can transmit 12 bit 4:4:4, but I don't know if that's the best option?

2) To what bars do you clip when calibrating using the Masciola Patterns for brightness and contrast?
Ted99 likes this.
srinivas1015 is offline  
post #24299 of 31987 Old 05-08-2017, 02:24 PM
AVS Forum Addicted Member
 
Kris Deering's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2002
Location: The Pacific Northwet
Posts: 10,608
Mentioned: 186 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3755 Post(s)
Liked: 6405
Using Manni's curves brightness and contrast should be at 0. I would recommend 10/12 bit 4:2:2 for color. 12 bit is padding (as is 4:4:4 most of the time) that just makes it harder for HDMI to work.
srinivas1015 likes this.

My Home Theater UPDATED DEC 2017
Technical Editor/Writer Sound and Vision Magazine
Deep Dive AV - Calibration, Consulting and Education
Kris Deering is offline  
post #24300 of 31987 Old 05-08-2017, 07:30 PM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
stef2's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2005
Location: Canada
Posts: 1,273
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 482 Post(s)
Liked: 282
I have been trying all the MPC settings at zero lately. I must say, and this is purely subjective, that I much prefer keeping everything at baseline (5) for now. I guess purists believe everything at zero gives the least (artificial) processing, but is that so?
stef2 is online now  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
Reply Digital Hi-End Projectors - $3,000+ USD MSRP

Tags
jvc-rs500u synch/display issue? , RS600

Thread Tools
Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page


Forum Jump: 

Posting Rules  
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off