Official JVC RS600 / RS500 (X950R / X750R - X9000 / X7000) Owners Thread - Page 833 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 
 84658Likes

post #24961 of 31894 Old 06-15-2017, 10:08 AM
AVS Forum Addicted Member

Mentioned: 106 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 6553 Post(s)
Liked: 7574
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dreamliner View Post
Yes. I'm thinking of getting the UB900 again. I'm wondering if Panasonic will release a new version of it anytime soon. I noticed places like Best Buy have a ton of them (there must have been 18 of them at my local store) but online retailers (like Amazon) don't seem to have any directly. Then B&H has it available as preorder...? Quite curious.
Find the cheapest price on line, print the ad, and take it to your local best Buy for a price match.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #24962 of 31894 Old 06-15-2017, 10:11 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 24 Post(s)
Quoted: 689 Post(s)
Liked: 583
Quote:
I also only resisted calibration because the idea that equipment will look broken until calibrated seems like (and is) utter nonsense. Yes, I understand calibration does a lot, but there are many posts about bbo saying the same thing. If someone with an untrained eye walked in with bbo at .1 or .001 they wouldn't be able to tell the difference and you know it. I feel the same is likely true with calibration. Yes I know the calibration is sacrosanct here but lets be honest with the limitations of calibration on titles like Patriots Day.
Yet, one someone complains about their PQ not being right or being too dark that is EXACTLY the setting you should look to adjust in order to please your eyes.

I can tell you right now that my out of the box settings for standard blu-ray looked AWESOME and the first few movies I played on my RS600 were blu-rays on an Oppo 103D.

Then, I learned about using MadVR to scaled my blu-rays ... WOW picture looks sharper!!

Then, I learned about Arve's tool and started watching UHD ... WOW color saturation!! And just a tack sharper than MadVR.

Then, I got calibrated ... WOW the curve I made using Arve's tool was damn close to what my calibrator used and WOW WOW WOW HOLYHECK WOW my upscaled Blu-Rays look even BETTER than before. Turned out there was a blue-push before getting calibrated -- skin tones now look monumentally better as did the PQ overall.

Who cares what the neighbors wife thinks. What do YOU think. Are YOU happy with the PQ. Is it worth a couple hundred bucks to know that you're squeezing every ounce of performance from your equipment?

Reminds me of my buddy. Same guy who got me into this hobby. He had a $3k projector, an Integra amplifier, Paradigm speakers LCR, surround and rear center... All that gear and the dude projected onto a wall that he painted white for the screen area and everything else black. I imagine all that gear set him back close to $10k and we always got a chuckle about his refusal to spend $600-700 dollars on a proper screen.

JVC RS600 ¤ 130" Wide Seymour XD 2.35:1
Denon x4200 ¤ Onkyo M5010 ¤ iNuke 3000 ¤ 7.2.2
HTPC GTX1080 + MadVR is my master now ¤ Zidoo X8
post #24963 of 31894 Old 06-15-2017, 01:04 PM

Mentioned: 34 Post(s)
Quoted: 4156 Post(s)
Liked: 2384
Quote:
I also only resisted calibration because the idea that equipment will look broken until calibrated seems like (and is) utter nonsense. Yes, I understand calibration does a lot, but there are many posts about bbo saying the same thing. If someone with an untrained eye walked in with bbo at .1 or .001 they wouldn't be able to tell the difference and you know it. I feel the same is likely true with calibration. Yes I know the calibration is sacrosanct here but lets be honest with the limitations of calibration on titles like Patriots Day.
The simple fact of the matter is, without doing a calibration, or at least a run of measurements (and you've said, you've already got the hardware), you have no idea what you've got, or if the image is as good as it can be. This is before we even get to preferences. Every projector has issues with white balance out of the box, at least to a degree. JVC projectors are known to develop a gamma droop over time (thankfully not as bad as it used to be).

Talk of preferences is completely useless without knowing where you stand in the first place. All of the HDR curves that have been uploaded, all of the curves that Arve's tool generates are predicated on having the projector calibrated to an accurate gamma (the curves are all computed deltas). Unless you're going through Calman or the like and manually editing the curve in real time, the foundation of all the HDR curves is a properly calibrated machine.

Once you have a properly calibrated machine, then you can talk about preferences, and if you like a bright image, use a curve with a lower multiplier, or build a curve with a ref white of 25 instead of 15. You can up saturation if you like, or whatever, but it's all built on having the solid foundation of a good calibration.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #24964 of 31894 Old 06-15-2017, 02:39 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 14 Post(s)
Quoted: 2093 Post(s)
Liked: 2359
Quote:
Originally Posted by stanger89 View Post
The simple fact of the matter is, without doing a calibration, or at least a run of measurements (and you've said, you've already got the hardware), you have no idea what you've got, or if the image is as good as it can be. This is before we even get to preferences. Every projector has issues with white balance out of the box, at least to a degree. JVC projectors are known to develop a gamma droop over time (thankfully not as bad as it used to be).

Talk of preferences is completely useless without knowing where you stand in the first place. All of the HDR curves that have been uploaded, all of the curves that Arve's tool generates are predicated on having the projector calibrated to an accurate gamma (the curves are all computed deltas). Unless you're going through Calman or the like and manually editing the curve in real time, the foundation of all the HDR curves is a properly calibrated machine.

Once you have a properly calibrated machine, then you can talk about preferences, and if you like a bright image, use a curve with a lower multiplier, or build a curve with a ref white of 25 instead of 15. You can up saturation if you like, or whatever, but it's all built on having the solid foundation of a good calibration.

And there it is!

Craig Peer, alebonau and Manni01 like this.

Kevin

You only live once, but if you live it right, once is enough.
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

==> Our 4K/3D Immersive Theater
post #24965 of 31894 Old 06-15-2017, 06:11 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 472 Post(s)
Quoted: 6769 Post(s)
Liked: 6388
Quote:
Dreamliner HDR, I like that. I would define that as HDR without compromise.

I've already acknowledged the real issue here is probably my expectations. It just sure is nice to actually have some modicum of acknowledgement. From the outset, I said most of my titles look fantastic but a handful look very dark to me. Instead of a "yeah, some discs are mastered poorly and do not look as good as the BD" I was lead down a path of "your gear or setup is broken because it looks like rainbows and butterflies over here!"

I am one million percent certain I prefer a significantly brighter picture that most on here. UHD is not being presented as an alternative to BD, its being presented as the evolution, the replacement, therefor comparison is valid. Differences may be there, but they should be acknowledged and explained as pros/cons. Not hidden.

Dude, I point you to a post I made to you a month ago.

Quote:
STOP TRYING TO COMPARE BD WITH UHD-BR.

They are NOT designed to be even remotely the same in colour treatment, gamma and brightness. They are fundamentally different colour grade sesions.

You have a WCG filter which eats 15% of your light. There is also that to consider.

Using the slider +12 is absolutely destroying your highlight clipping. Competely unworkable solution. Glad you see something you like, but its not even close to correct.

Which base gamma curve are you using now?

Gamma D is effin broken, so you want to forget that exists. Its 90% of the reason there is a new JVC with all new HDR curves, I have one, and its fantastic out of the box and NOT dim. I have taken screenshot comparisons even proving this. EVEN comparing them to SDR WCG versions, which DO look very close to the BR counterparts, so, seriously, I dont know whats happening with your system, either you are unable to set up UHD properly, or have very unrealistic expectations on what the image is supposed to look like.

Remind me, what is your light output, screen size, gain, throw, iris and lamp settings etc. How many nits are you getting in HDR?

I get 85 nits in HDR and its PLENTY bright enough for the curve I am using, in fact, we have figured out the science of these curves right down to the fact that my curve is actually set for the same reference white and general skin tone illuminance level as SDR Bluray was at my -10 low lamp setting for general SDR, which is 12.5 nits for the average face on screen. So, HDR set correctly, actually looks about the same as SDR until bright things start hitting the screen.

There are still major differences between films though UHD-HDR vs SDR Bluray. Lucy for Eg has sigificant brightness, colour and contrast differences. This is how it is.

Lets look at WATCHMEN in UHD BR. That is supposely a 4000 nit title yet its PEAK luminance level is a measly 500 Nits in its brightest pixel, and even worse 200 nits in its brightest average frame light level. This is one disc I do think is broken.

LUCY Is a 1000nit title, actually has 1000nit pixels and a 400nit max average brightness frame level, that film looks great and is plenty bright enough.
You dont prefer a bighter picture, because technically both UHD HDR and SDR at a given setting will be the same brightness if using your BT2020 filter.

Its a higher gamma you seem to prefer, which is to say the entire luminance within the boundaries of your peak white and black floor are pushed higher...

I can show you screenshots which show that Bluray SDR completely blows out highlights in certain films and shots where the HDR version looks lush, deep, colourful and detailed.
Dave Harper, krichter1 and Manni01 like this.

JVC X9500 (RS620) | 120" 16:9 | Marantz AV7702 MkII | Emotiva XPA-7 | DIY Modular Towers | DIY TPL-150 Surrounds | DIY Atmos | DIY 18" Subs
-
MadVR Settings | UHD Waveform Analysis | Arve Tool Instructions + V3 Javs Curves
post #24966 of 31894 Old 06-15-2017, 06:11 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 1799 Post(s)
Liked: 1227
Quote:
Yes. I'm thinking of getting the UB900 again. I'm wondering if Panasonic will release a new version of it anytime soon. I noticed places like Best Buy have a ton of them (there must have been 18 of them at my local store) but online retailers (like Amazon) don't seem to have any directly. Then B&H has it available as preorder...? Quite curious.
and did you ever even try the sammy player with the correct settings its supposed to be run at ? rather than its out of box default settings you have been running on all this time ? is it really any wonder things look crook ?

but then again you say that out of box sammy and the pana also look the same that is ever more bizarre a statement and makes me question just about anything you have posted so far. something must be either very crook in your setup. or its a case of constant shifting sands where have got to the point of paralysis where dont know @RSE from elbow as we would say down under
krichter1 likes this.

"Technology is a drug. We can't get enough of it."

Welcome to my lounge room :)
post #24967 of 31894 Old 06-15-2017, 06:21 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by stanger89 View Post
Every projector has issues with white balance out of the box, at least to a degree. JVC projectors are known to develop a gamma droop over time (thankfully not as bad as it used to be).
Dont hold your breath

Quote:

Have you got over 250 hours on your JVC?

If so, your gamma likely looks like this, this is my JVC after 250 hours.

FACT.

After correction and a couple hours calibrating (even WITH the broken Autocal on the new units, with your older model you could get these results in 30 minutes)

nathan_h, DavidHir, mpyw and 1 others like this.

JVC X9500 (RS620) | 120" 16:9 | Marantz AV7702 MkII | Emotiva XPA-7 | DIY Modular Towers | DIY TPL-150 Surrounds | DIY Atmos | DIY 18" Subs
-
MadVR Settings | UHD Waveform Analysis | Arve Tool Instructions + V3 Javs Curves
post #24968 of 31894 Old 06-15-2017, 06:24 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 21 Post(s)
Quoted: 1349 Post(s)
Liked: 681
post #24969 of 31894 Old 06-15-2017, 06:26 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Batman V Superman Explosion.

BLURAY SDR

UHD BLURAY HDR

Well ****, I know which one I prefer

Dont make me laugh

-
post #24970 of 31894 Old 06-15-2017, 06:30 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

BR SDR

UHD HDR

-
post #24971 of 31894 Old 06-15-2017, 06:33 PM

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 35 Post(s)
Liked: 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by alebonau View Post
but then again you say that out of box sammy and the pana also look the same that is ever more bizarre a statement and makes me question just about anything you have posted so far. something must be either very crook in your setup. or its a case of constant shifting sands where have got to the point of paralysis where dont know @RSE from elbow as we would say down under
Have you even owned or used Sammy after applying custom gamma (Not Gamma D)? If not, then don't make such comments.

You don't need those settings. I can resolve both brightness and contrast in HDR patterns with all settings on 0 on both JVC and Sammy user mode. With your special settings, the black floor gets raised too high (+3 on Samy is equal to +6 or 8 on JVC), and +7 clips almost everything. This is also true for Sammy standard mode.
post #24972 of 31894 Old 06-15-2017, 06:45 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Javs View Post

BLURAY SDR

~

UHD BLURAY HDR

~

Dont make me laugh

such a difficult choice you should have used a spoiler and had people guess ....

post #24973 of 31894 Old 06-15-2017, 06:51 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quoted: 635 Post(s)
Liked: 828
STINKING Dead Horse! I already posted the steps I take for an Autocal pages ago. It's not that complicated and once you save off the _INIT file, not sure how you'd run into any issue that you couldn't correct. In fact, the first time I ran an autocal, the colors were way off even with the meter inside the rectangle. Turns out it was too close to the projector, so I reloaded my INIT and got it right the second time. That was nearly two years ago and covered in this thread. Same steps work great for my recent autocal to correct gamma droop. Until Dreamer runs one, ain't going to waste any more time on this subject and wish you all would too.

Some titles may not be mastered as well as they could be. Same was true at the beginning of BDs. Jupiter Ascending is about the only overly dark UHD that I own.

...Steve
"Opinions are like orgasms… mine matters most and I really don’t care if you have one or not." ;)

My HT gear
post #24974 of 31894 Old 06-15-2017, 08:02 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

guys not sure if have watched manchester by the sea,

I caught it on blu-ray and what a lovely shot movie this one. great role play too from all the actors. particularly casey affleck that he has won some 40 off awards for the film is not surprising.

but yeah a stunner as a movie which is very well filmed and comes up a treat on the jvc on so many scenes whether indoors or out...
nathan_h, Ximori and Craig Peer like this.

post #24975 of 31894 Old 06-15-2017, 08:06 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

also got ex machina in the mail on uhd the other day , $16 from amazon

I enjoyed the movie on blu-ray and blu-ray.com in their view of the uhd say a genuine uptick in PQ from a 4/5 for the 1080 blu-ray to 5/5 for the uhd in picture quality. so lets see how comes up on the jvc.

http://www.blu-ray.com/movies/Ex-Mac...lu-ray/176583/

look forward to the dts-x sound track too since added well to the movie overall
Tom Bley and Ximori like this.

post #24976 of 31894 Old 06-16-2017, 04:36 AM

Mentioned: 56 Post(s)
Quoted: 1588 Post(s)
Liked: 2162
Quote:
guys not sure if have watched manchester by the sea,

I caught it on blu-ray and what a lovely shot movie this one. great role play too from all the actors. particularly casey affleck that he has won some 40 off awards for the film is not surprising.

but yeah a stunner as a movie which is very well filmed and comes up a treat on the jvc on so many scenes whether indoors or out...
Loved this movie...both for the transfer and the (of course) the film, itself.
Ximori and alebonau like this.
post #24977 of 31894 Old 06-16-2017, 04:57 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Unpopular Opinion alert!! So wife and I just watched star trek beyond UHD last night. I will concur with dreamliner that this movie is dark. I don't blame my equipment, nor the calibration or my curve. I just think the beginning of this movie was intentionally mastered this way as there are parts of the movie that look PERFECT toward the middle->end.

I think my large screen, max nits (about 50 max in high wide open) and directors intent (?) Are the culprit here. It wasn't unwatchable, but two scenes come to mind that were hard to watch... Namely the scene where Kirk and bones are having a drink of whiskey and the first scene where Kirk recommends Spock to be Captain of the Enterprise in his absence. Both scenes, I believe , are set in the evening/dark.

Anyway, I can certainly appreciate a darker film and never liked watching content in torch mode... But dreamliner isn't crazy, it looked dark to me and my system is calibrated. Again I think it's my max nits because as dark as things got-- the explosions as Galaxy cloud effects looked amaze. As did explosions and the beasties "sabotage" scene.

Sent from my Nexus 6P using Tapatalk
Tom Bley likes this.

post #24978 of 31894 Old 06-16-2017, 05:16 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 482 Post(s)
Liked: 282
Quote:
BR SDR

UHD HDR

Looking at those pics, I can't help but think how much the second one looks like what every HT enthusiast disliked just a few years ago: very vivid colors, high contrast, high brightness. Just what a TV looks like at BestBuy using the "naive customer attractive" Vivid mode. I must say, I always liked that mode
post #24979 of 31894 Old 06-16-2017, 05:40 AM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 279 Post(s)
Liked: 172
Regarding Star Trek: Beyond, if you read through movie discussion threads, you'll see that many people reported that the presentation was "dark" (to the point where some people thought something was wrong with the set up) IN THEATERS.

I think there's no question that some early UHD BD grades are sub-par. But just keep in mind that for this specific movie you can find similar complaints/observation for the theatrical presentation.
sonichart likes this.
post #24980 of 31894 Old 06-16-2017, 06:19 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by seanbryan View Post
Regarding Star Trek: Beyond, if you read through movie discussion threads, you'll see that many people reported that the presentation was "dark" (to the point where some people thought something was wrong with the set up) IN THEATERS.

I think there's no question that some early UHD BD grades are sub-par. But just keep in mind that for this specific movie you can find similar complaints/observation for the theatrical presentation.
I'm not ready to throw the baby out with the bath water. I'm just saying that my experience with this film in UHD was similar to Dreamliner. Hearing that others complained of the presentation in theaters is reassuring and thank you for sharing.

Also, FWIW motion on this movie sucked. The 24hz judder made it difficult to follow anything and even some of the 'slow' pans were crap.

OTOH John Wick (1st one) looked amazing and totally enjoyed it. I don't think there were many scenes showcasing spectral highlights. But we enjoyed the presentation regardless. Same with Underworld UHD, grain and all

seanbryan likes this.

post #24981 of 31894 Old 06-16-2017, 06:33 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quoted: 908 Post(s)
Liked: 857
Quote:
Originally Posted by sonichart View Post
Unpopular Opinion alert!! So wife and I just watched star trek beyond UHD last night. I will concur with dreamliner that this movie is dark. I don't blame my equipment, nor the calibration or my curve. I just think the beginning of this movie was intentionally mastered this way as there are parts of the movie that look PERFECT toward the middle->end.

I think my large screen, max nits (about 50 max in high wide open) and directors intent (?) Are the culprit here. It wasn't unwatchable, but two scenes come to mind that were hard to watch... Namely the scene where Kirk and bones are having a drink of whiskey and the first scene where Kirk recommends Spock to be Captain of the Enterprise in his absence. Both scenes, I believe , are set in the evening/dark.

Anyway, I can certainly appreciate a darker film and never liked watching content in torch mode... But dreamliner isn't crazy, it looked dark to me and my system is calibrated. Again I think it's my max nits because as dark as things got-- the explosions as Galaxy cloud effects looked amaze. As did explosions and the beasties "sabotage" scene.

That's the way it was shot. The early scenes are dark but, they never really bothered me. Javs posted some screen grabs of the Blu-Ray months ago and it looks the same way. I found a couple.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	54P2f7H.jpg
Views:	70
Size:	69.0 KB
ID:	2190641   Click image for larger version

Name:	t4icZ9B.jpg
Views:	69
Size:	92.3 KB
ID:	2190649  
sonichart likes this.
post #24982 of 31894 Old 06-16-2017, 06:42 AM

Mentioned: 34 Post(s)
Quoted: 4156 Post(s)
Liked: 2384
Quote:
Originally Posted by sonichart View Post
Everyone's always agreed that that movie is dark, but it was shot that way. Much like Arrival which is also rather dark. But both are entirely watchable, which is where the discussion with Dreamliner stemmed from.

Quote:
What caused most of the discussion with Dreamliner was his assertion that he needed massively different curves for different movies. That took us back to the beginning where we were trying to get things to work without proper calibration (using Gamma D and JVC's recommended settings, folks would chase settings movie to movie. Dreamliner's description of the problem and resistance to follow advice are what drove that whole exchange.

Quote:
Originally Posted by stef2 View Post
Looking at those pics, I can't help but think how much the second one looks like what every HT enthusiast disliked just a few years ago: very vivid colors, high contrast, high brightness.
You're really not understanding the point of calibration, or the arguments against Vivid mode. Nobody's ever said high contrast or vivid colors were bad (well, I'm sure some odd folks have), just look at the following JVC has built on just that displays with just those attributes. The problem with Vivid mode is that (generally) the color temperature is off, perhaps gamut is wrong, maybe blacks are crushed or white are clipped to give the appearance of a more contrasty image. Basically it's not accurate, that's the point of calibration, to have an accurate image.
sonichart likes this.
post #24983 of 31894 Old 06-16-2017, 06:47 AM

Mentioned: 182 Post(s)
Quoted: 3712 Post(s)
Liked: 6308
Quote:

BLURAY SDR

UHD BLURAY HDR

Dont make me laugh
Do you have a time stamp for this explosion?

My Home Theater UPDATED DEC 2017
Technical Editor/Writer Sound and Vision Magazine
Deep Dive AV - Calibration, Consulting and Education
post #24984 of 31894 Old 06-16-2017, 07:21 AM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 218 Post(s)
Liked: 165
Quote:
Originally Posted by Craig Peer View Post
Don't forget that even with a calibration, you always have the option with the UB900 of adding a little brightness with the dynamic range slider on certain titles.
Craig, would this be the equivalent to increasing the "picture tone" setting in gamma on the JVC? As an example, I tried to watch Patriots Day and it was horribly dark (unwatchable). But with an increase in the picture tone by a few steps, it became better. Or is that completely different to what the UB900is doing?

Cheers,
Ray
post #24985 of 31894 Old 06-16-2017, 07:34 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kris Deering View Post
Do you have a time stamp for this explosion?
Admittedly the Bluray SDR shot is a proper frame extraction, the HDR shot is an actual photograph of my JVC, however both are a good representation of what it really looks like, especially the HDR shot.

Its a tough time-stamp to catch, due to how quick the shot is, but on my Bluray of the Ultimate edition its at: 2:27:24.

Its when the nuke goes off in space and doomsday crashes back to earth.
Kris Deering likes this.

-
post #24986 of 31894 Old 06-16-2017, 08:31 AM

Mentioned: 158 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 5221 Post(s)
Liked: 5453
Dawn of the Planet of the Apes UHD

I watched about an hour of this last night. It is a darker grade but don't find it as objectionable as PD which looked like they were using a 75% ND filter in some of the daylight shots.

The darker grade is fitting for the content as much of it takes place in the jungle. I used one of my brighter curves and having the HP lets me keep it in low lamp for the viewing. Shadow detail was very good and the jungle greens looked excellent in WCG vs. the BD which I popped in to take a quick look at.

but... and of course this will be just me and a few other 3D fans... the apes appear flat and lifeless. like watching a cartoon. The 3D in this movie is exceptional for a relatively low APL movie and 100% brings the viewer into the action and more important, brings some convincing life to these CGI characters.

I have to stop double dipping on titles I already own in 3D, I don't think I found one UHD yet that I preferred.

Has anyone seen The Great Wall in 3D? Another double dip here and the 3D version is an edge of the seat thrill-ride.
post #24987 of 31894 Old 06-16-2017, 08:33 AM

Quote:
also got ex machina in the mail on uhd the other day , $16 from amazon

I enjoyed the movie on blu-ray and blu-ray.com in their view of the uhd say a genuine uptick in PQ from a 4/5 for the 1080 blu-ray to 5/5 for the uhd in picture quality. so lets see how comes up on the jvc.

http://www.blu-ray.com/movies/Ex-Mac...lu-ray/176583/

look forward to the dts-x sound track too since added well to the movie overall
I love this movie, so I go the UHD BR - came last night. I only had a little time to preview it, but it is more detailed looking, and a much cleaner picture, which is what I had hoped for. The Blu-ray
had a lot more video noise - the UHD BR has none. Color me impressed with the improvement ! The color looks outstanding too.
Tom Bley likes this.

Last edited by Craig Peer; 06-16-2017 at 08:43 AM.
post #24988 of 31894 Old 06-16-2017, 08:36 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 282 Post(s)
Liked: 180
Quote:
Admittedly the Bluray SDR shot is a proper frame extraction, the HDR shot is an actual photograph of my JVC, however both are a good representation of what it really looks like, especially the HDR shot.

I've seen the same effect during the opening battle scene in Hacksaw Ridge with the flamethrower...quite a difference in color depth.
post #24989 of 31894 Old 06-16-2017, 08:48 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 996911 View Post
Craig, would this be the equivalent to increasing the "picture tone" setting in gamma on the JVC? As an example, I tried to watch Patriots Day and it was horribly dark (unwatchable). But with an increase in the picture tone by a few steps, it became better. Or is that completely different to what the UB900is doing?
Good question. Maybe Kris or Javs or Zombie knows the answer to that question. It's certainly convenient to make changes in the UB900 and see the effect on the screen, and easy to re-set to 0 .
post #24990 of 31894 Old 06-16-2017, 08:59 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

At AMC theater. Embarrassing how off the picture geometry is...

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply Digital Hi-End Projectors - $3,000+ USD MSRP

Tags
jvc-rs500u synch/display issue? , RS600

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page